• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Japan - OOC Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
There's our little Psychie, all grown up and making puns of her own!

Last edited:
Sherwood Sherwood Would you mind providing a bit more details concerning our team's background? If we are a hush-hush "Section 6" comprised of Republic and New Empire characters, then how are we different than, say, the espionage/military Section 6 from Ghost in the Shell?

What precisely do our PCs think they are getting themselves into by agreeing to join an operation like this?

I'll give some quickie answers to that since I'm at work atm.

The Republic is entering a very tentative relationship with the Empire as a way to try and counter the growing level of supernatural events that are happening in their territory. One part of this treaty is the formation of the special police/military force that is designed to better understand and deal with the supernatural than that conventional military can.

As such, you have access to a lot of support that you didn't have prior to signing up in the form of equipment and intelligence. You have police/military jurisdiction and the ability to respond to threats with lethal force.

Sherwood Sherwood Thanks for replying even though you're at work! Later, when there is time, check this?

In Rifter #3, There is a deadly Japanese martial art system made in Rifts Earth called O-Ken Wa: Great Sword Harmony. I like it. I would like to run by you, please?

A player of mine in our tabletop game used it to success years ago and I had forgotten all about it until tonight. If you don't have Rifter #3, I am comfortable typing the whole thing out.

Basically, it is Paired swords with kick attacks with intent to kill. In Martial Art Powers, it offers 2 from among Martial Art Techniques and Arts of Invisibility. It provides the Iai-jutsu (sword fast-draw technique), Chagi (kick practice) at level 2, very nice Character Bonuses and Level Advancement bonuses.

On another note, I somehow have the impression that Chi Combat is still not going to be a thing? I'm totally cool if it continues to be left out (as nearly all Players I've run into not only don't have any idea what it is, but have to be taught the basic concept - one more thing to add to a game).

I hope you're having a good shift! =)

Last edited:
Off to bed. Sleep well everybody if you're not tucked in already!

Well I have dug around so far looking in the Japan book and in Mercenaries book...so far the Police Officer is maybe what I may go with, dug out the Bionics sourcebook for the full collection of cybernetics. (trying to find my copy of Rifts Ultimate Edition...may have to go down into the basement to dig it out)

So far I am imagining a classic Japanese detective in a nice suit and trenchcoat. Although I may just have to go with the snazzy looking black uniform that all police get along with a black trenchcoat. Either way, I am thinking the character of giving a Republic human representative face to the party so to speak. I do like Demon Quellors though as well...they are cool.

I have made and linked up the Character thread here, so you can start to post your work once you get it a bit closer to done.

Ok, here come some rolls. I have two stats that are 2d6, while the rest are 3d6. Are we rerolling '1's'? If so, I have a few more rolls to make.

2d6 rolls:

3d6 rolls:

Roll for MDC and PPE 1d4

ISP 3d4 x10

Last edited:
Ok, here come some rolls. I have two stats that are 2d6, while the rest are 3d6. Are we rerolling '1's'? If so, I have a few more rolls to make.
Oh, what the hell. Yes, reroll '1's'.

Ok let me try to get this straight as i have no idea of the contents you guys spoke of. So if i got this right. In this game there are 2 empires or countries one which focuses on the magical arts and one that focuses on the technology.

The two factions attempt to make an alliance by creating a special task force consistent of the two empires agents. Where our base would be this outcast fief that wanted this alliance to happen and we need to fight against the people of this usurper faction before they destroy this alliance…

Ok…give me the book
GunMan2 GunMan2 This is where we're hanging out to get the game started. You remember Eonivar from Sherwood's Robotech game? He's joining us here too!

The answer to your questions? Yes, mostly!

There is no "outcast" fief; instead, we are living in and operating out of the tech-city (Republic of Japan), one of two factions in the demon-ridden country of Rifts Japan. The other faction is the New Empire who covet magic and reject technology; they follow the way of Japan before the Meiji Restoration Period (in the Edo period if my head is on straight). The book is Rifts Japan and I highly recommend DriveThruRPG.com to buy it from.

Sherwood Sherwood How precisely is the story working out from your point of view? I remember the foundation I laid down, but I'm not certain of the finer details that GunMan2 is asking about.

Sherwood Sherwood Thanks for replying even though you're at work! Later, when there is time, check this?

In Rifter #3, There is a deadly Japanese martial art system made in Rifts Earth called O-Ken Wa: Great Sword Harmony. I like it. I would like to run by you, please?

A player of mine in our tabletop game used it to success years ago and I had forgotten all about it until tonight. If you don't have Rifter #3, I am comfortable typing the whole thing out.

Basically, it is Paired swords with kick attacks with intent to kill. In Martial Art Powers, it offers 2 from among Martial Art Techniques and Arts of Invisibility. It provides the Iai-jutsu (sword fast-draw technique), Chagi (kick practice) at level 2, very nice Character Bonuses and Level Advancement bonuses.

On another note, I somehow have the impression that Chi Combat is still not going to be a thing? I'm totally cool if it continues to be left out (as nearly all Players I've run into not only don't have any idea what it is, but have to be taught the basic concept - one more thing to add to a game).

I hope you're having a good shift! =)
Sherwood Sherwood Do you have Rifter issue #3 or would it be all right if I copied the article here for your perusal?

Sherwood Sherwood Do you have Rifter issue #3 or would it be all right if I copied the article here for your perusal?
Sorry, I thought that I had already replied to this. I have the issue, and after looking over the MA skill, I see no problems with it.

Sherwood Sherwood How precisely is the story working out from your point of view? I remember the foundation I laid down, but I'm not certain of the finer details that GunMan2 is asking about.
Making progress. Everyone still has plenty of time to make up their characters.

Question for you, Sherwood. How many attacks do I start with? The young dragon stats say 4 starting out, but under the description of Jujitsu only gives me 2, and I'm not allowed to take Boxing as a skill by the Sohei monk OCC.

GunMan2 GunMan2 This is where we're hanging out to get the game started. You remember Eonivar from Sherwood's Robotech game? He's joining us here too!

The answer to your questions? Yes, mostly!

There is no "outcast" fief; instead, we are living in and operating out of the tech-city (Republic of Japan), one of two factions in the demon-ridden country of Rifts Japan. The other faction is the New Empire who covet magic and reject technology; they follow the way of Japan before the Meiji Restoration Period (in the Edo period if my head is on straight). The book is Rifts Japan and I highly recommend DriveThruRPG.com to buy it from.

Thanks Denigan, ill have a look at it as it sounds interesting ill try to keep my guy a bit basic but the cyborg idea sounds wuite interesting indeed

All Attributes and other stats will be rolled in the OOC thread or by me using my dice. Standard Rifts dice roll rules apply of rolling 4d6, and you take the top 3 dice. A result of 16-18 gives you a 4th die, and if that extra one is a '6', you add another d6 to your roll so if you max out your roll you can start with a natural 30. Any stat that is 'roll 2d6' rolls 3 dice and takes the top 2, and if those dice equal an 11-12, then you add another d6 in.
Refresh my memory. If I roll four dice for a three dice attribute and I get 5, 5, 6, 4...since I rolled a 16..do I just add the 4 or do I roll another D6?

Refresh my memory. If I roll four dice for a three dice attribute and I get 5, 5, 6, 4...since I rolled a 16..do I just add the 4 or do I roll another D6?
You can take the 4, or reroll and hope for a better result. Up to you.

Question for you, Sherwood. How many attacks do I start with? The young dragon stats say 4 starting out, but under the description of Jujitsu only gives me 2, and I'm not allowed to take Boxing as a skill by the Sohei monk OCC.
Without being able to get Boxing, lets go ahead and say the four from your RCC.

Rolling, rolling, rolling the dice...

Attribute Totals

Starting SDC 8+12 = 20
Starting HP 12+3 = 15
Total Cybernetics = 4+2 = 6
Boxing SDC +9
Running SDC +4
Running Spd +14
Aikido SDC +4
Aikido ME +2
They'll do, he is just a normal human guy anyway...

Last edited:
Without being able to get Boxing, lets go ahead and say the four from your RCC.
Psychie Psychie If you would like an alternative to Jujitsu, and if you don't think our Game Master would mind, you might want to check out Isshin-Ryu from the Ninjas and Superspies martial arts systems.

That is if you like going bo staff-crazy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back