• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Adventure OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
i am sorry to bring this old egg back but i couldnt help but notice

you said melee rounds.

you told me they werent called that. and becuase of that i am unable to do what me drone says and fir 6 bursts per round

DraconianWarrior DraconianWarrior Look. From one ADHD guy to another, can you take a little constructive criticism?

I think you're being too sensitive about this "old egg (which I thought we buried)." It's like you don't trust Sherwood to run his own game. He's been calling them "melee rounds" for quite a long time. It's part of the parlance among us long-time Palladium players. It's not fair to expect that to be changed virtually overnight (or at all - Sherwood's fun is important to me, too. So is yours and everyone's in here).

Plus, Draco, Sherwood has been running Palladium games a hell of a lot longer than most. Maybe it's part of your ADHD spectrum, but I feel you're focusing too much on perceived fairness and not focusing enough on just having fun. We're here to relax and have a good time, not spend what game-time we have arguing about rules.

Besides, how do you know Blake is unable to fire 6 times per round? Sherwood didn't say that.

Plus, this is a surprise round - it doesn't count towards total attacks per round. How do I know that? Because I've been playing sci-fi RPs almost as long as Sherwood has (he introduced me to my first - Robotech).

Bottom line - can you just trust Sherwood to be the Game Master here, man? There's only room for one GM, right? Because when you do this, it messes with my fun. Like now. I feel like I don't want to post in-game like I did when I first logged on today, because I feel you're not trusting someone I trust a great deal (and Sherwood has earned my trust many times over). And that blows my enthusiasm, Draco.

Just consider it?

Please?

This is one action that does not apply against the total number of action/attacks that you have. Once this one action is done, I'll have you move into a normal combat round with an initiative roll to put you in your attack order.

Dear dann

The weapon only does 1d4x10 per shot, so I went with the first number you rolled, doing 30 points of damage. A weapon may be able to fire multiple times in a round, but it is still one shot at a time, not all six at once.

this was on page 51 of this ooc chat. and if i remember correctly that conversation ended with you guys telling me that i had everything wrong and that each individual action isnt called a melee and that was the reason ing that i couldnt use the six burst actions that my drones say that they are capable of.

and as for the trust thing you must also keep in mind that i havent known sherwood for very long. and even if that wasnt a factor here the way that you guys do rounds is totaly diffrent from what i am used to. so that alone throws me for a loop.

and sherwood when you do read this please note that i mean no offense in any of this, and that i personaly think you are a great guy. in fact i think everyone here is great. im just trying to get things cleaned out.

I just don't know what to say about this. I have gone over the combat rules many times, and still there seems to be some confusion.

Each person has a number of actions per round. In this case, you are not in the middle of a melee round; it is a surprise action. Once this action is complete with everyone having acted once for free, you need to roll initiative. That will start the normal melee round. You will then have your standard listed actions.

Your weapon may be able to fire more than once per 15 seconds; that does not mean you can fire it six times at once in one single action. I cannot be more clear than this.

Thanks, Draco. While I stand with what Sherwood just said, I think you're cool too.

Part of this confusion I think comes from your writing style. What you are writing and what you are thinking might be coming across as two different things.

Here's what I am reading from what you have written. You appear to want all of Blake's actions at one time. To me, that's like playing a game of chess and you get to move six times before your opponent gets to move once. Does that really seem fair to you?

Regardless of what any of us are used to, when you join someone else's game, you agree to play by their rules, not the rules that you're used to. of course one is welcome to ask questions, but to keep challenging one's Game Master like this, it takes away from the fun. We're spending more time talking about this time we are gaming!

In other words, if we're playing a game where you are the Game Master, we play by your rules.

So, how would you feel if we started second-guessing rules that you have laid down?

While you're creative, helpful player, I think you're nitpicking and trying to get the GM to play by your rules instead of just enjoying the game Sherwood has worked to give us. That is what is killing my fun, Draco.

Do you see what I mean? Isn't the fun of your fellow players important, too?

hey guys sorry for disappearing like that.

i sincerely apologize if i have caused to much trouble.
So, how would you feel if we started second-guessing rules that you have laid down?
to answer your question dann i would welcome the questioning of the rules it means that my players are taking the initiative and pushing boundaries and being creative. it means that you are using your problem solving skills to do the best with what you have and what you want. i can see now how that is different from what you guys do.

Regardless of what any of us are used to, when you join someone else's game, you agree to play by their rules, not the rules that you're used to.
i know this and i am sorry if it seems if I am (for lack of better words and for comical relief) trying to usurp sherwood and his set of rules.

Your weapon may be able to fire more than once per 15 seconds; that does not mean you can fire it six times at once in one single action. I cannot be more clear than this.

i think i might have finally found what the hiccup is. i think (and this is just total guess) that your confusing what my character is physically capable of doing vs what the drones are capable of doing. i think i might have a way of clearing this up (or at the very least show you how i perceive this).

your assuming that because my character is not physically capable of shooting six times per 15 seconds (which i agree would be insane if that was pausable) that my drones are not capable of doing the same thing (which there description says they can). think of it like this; if your playing a video game (where the character controlling the drones is the player and the drones is your character in the game.) you can fire of multiple shots just by pressing a few buttons. and you can press buttons a lot faster than you can move a gun and pull a trigger.

another thought gust came into my head, i remembered that the rail-gun on my drones is a gatling gun style. now this can be perceived as to ways that go along with the "Can fire six bursts per melee round". this could mean that due to the gun being of the gatling style and it firing bursts, it is only capable of firing six times every round or face with overheating. that is one possibility. ( i do not like it but i definitely can see the logic behind it although i would think that rifts would have overcome that roadblock for lack of better words). Another correlation that can be made between the rail-gun being a gatling style and the six bursts per melee round could be that due to gattlings being super fast shooters, having the rail gun built in a gatling gun style would give the gun the capability to fire at this astonishing rate.

i sincerely apologize if i have caused to much trouble.

No worries, buddy! Speaking only for myself, I'm annoyed, but I'll get over it. I'm still willing to work with you and help everyone enjoy the game. =)

to answer your question dann i would welcome the questioning of the rules it means that my players are taking the initiative and pushing boundaries and being creative. it means that you are using your problem solving skills to do the best with what you have and what you want. i can see now how that is different from what you guys do.

Please read what you quoted from me again. I didn't say "questioning" in that line; I said "second-guessing." There's an important difference, Draco.
a. To question a GM is to inquire, to ask for definitions, clarification, or details. This might be followed by a recommendation from the PC. Whatever the case, everyone abides by the GMs ruling.
b. To second-guess is to criticize with hindsight. Here, it means not respecting the GM's given ruling.

I'm just pointing out the differences. Nothing more. As I've said before, folks should always be free to ask and advise in a gaming setting, but once the Game Master/Dungeon Master/Storyteller/Referee lays down a ruling, I feel it should always be respected. Sherwood is our GM. I'm doing what he says. I have asked about his rules before. Whether I agree with them or not, I respect his ruling. I feel it's his game and we're lucky to be in it.

i know this and i am sorry if it seems if I am (for lack of better words and for comical relief) trying to usurp sherwood and his set of rules.

Well, you appear to be looking for clarification (please correct me if I'm wrong?).

Concerning how it all works, Sherwood has already provided it in his earlier ruling. Here's a summary to help you out. =)

It is (post #1302, Page 53):

I was thinking that it would use an action for each drone, but with the controller it does not. So yes, you have six actions with each of your two drones.

and here (post #1321, Page 53):

Only with the drones. On your own, you have four.

And here is his example of actions per round (Post #1323, Page 53):

Let's say we have three people in the fight, two with four actions and the third having six. As the round starts, we go down initiative order for everyone to make their first attack. Once all the have done action #1, we go back to the top of the initiative order for action #2. Then it is time for action #3, and the same for action 4. Now we have the one fellow with six actions. He gets to perform action five and six without being countered or dodged.

Once he is done with his action six, that melee round is over as a new melee round begins, each one getting all of their actions once more.

And finally, his most recent post concerning our current battle (#1723, Page 70):

I just don't know what to say about this. I have gone over the combat rules many times, and still there seems to be some confusion.

Each person has a number of actions per round. In this case, you are not in the middle of a melee round; it is a surprise action. Once this action is complete with everyone having acted once for free, you need to roll initiative. That will start the normal melee round. You will then have your standard listed actions.

Please follow Sherwood's ruling and examples, buddy. =)

Can we go back to gaming now? =)

once again i apologize for any inconvenience that i cuased. and i implore you to please excuse the following outburst.

I didnt know that discussing in this chat was taking away from what our characters are doing at the moment. in other words i didnt relise that we gamed in this chat. i was under the impression that this chat was used to discuss mechanics and information.
(please excuse and ignore this outburst i do realize that it is uncalled for and out of place however i do feel better having typed it and letting it be known)

normally at this point (when it is clear that i have made a disturbance and annoyed someone to the point where they would rather not discuss things) i would just apologize and go silent. however i refuse to let a petty discussion keep me from enjoying a rp so i plan on seeing this through till the end. both the RP and this discussion so if that does not sit right with you i apologize but please just tell me up front so that we can talk it out like professionals.

ok just to put things into perspective becuase i feel as though we may have gone off the topic of the discussion;
i am pursuing the idea that my drones rail guns are capable of firing 6 bursts per round. i am not saying that that my character has more actions. my character only has 4 actions (6 with the drones). i repeat i am not saying that my character has more actions i am simply saying that the drones are capable of firing 6 bursts per round meaning that i should be able to deal six rolls of damage every round instead of just the one.

and if you will look at the ICC i have not the six damage rolls like i believe i should be capable of. i do this out of respect for sherwood and the game mechanics since i do not want to act on my belief until everything has been cleared. it is not my intention or my goal to ruin the fun for everybody, and i have no intention to disrespect anybody as well. if you feel as though i have disrespected anyone in anyway then please tell me so that we may discuss it and solve it together.

on a side note:
Please read what you quoted from me again. I didn't say "questioning" in that line; I said "second-guessing." There's an important difference, Draco.
a. To question a GM is to inquire, to ask for definitions, clarification, or details. This might be followed by a recommendation from the PC. Whatever the case, everyone abides by the GMs ruling.
b. To second-guess is to criticize with hindsight. Here, it means not respecting the GM's given ruling.
i do apologize that you feel that i answered your quote wrong however i dont believe that i did, to me second guessing and criticizing someone (while it can seem diminishing) is actually a good thing. so if i were running a game and my players where questioning, second guessing, and criticizing me then i would welcome it as i still see it as them taking the initiative and taking the extra step to look into the rules and mechanics, it shows me that they are actually involved and not just sitting back lasily while i drive the story.
once more i am sorry that you feel like what i am doing is disrespectful. and i thank you for bringing it into the light so that i can discuss it and bring more detail to it.

O.K. Forgive me, Draco. Given the first two paragraphs of your last post, I have clearly offended you.

Also, I have failed to help you see the facts at least so far as Rifts Palladium is normally played. Friends and folks, I'm sorry - I tried my level best to explain it to him.

I leave this conversation with a little mathematical formula to consider:

Draco seem to be demanding that, were all the drones' rail gun blasts hit, that they alone do...

...1D4x10 M.D. x 6 (single attack) or 6D4x10 M.D.
x 6 (number of drone attacks per round) = 36D4x10 M.D
x 2 (number of drones).
Grand total = 72D4x10 M.D.

That's an average of 1,800 Mega Damage every 15 seconds. And that's before any of Blake's own 4 actions...

A Glitter Boy does far, far less damage (3D6x10 M.D., average 105 M.D., times 6 actions per round = 630 M.D. vs. 1,800 M.D.). Put another way, we would need 3 Glitter Boys just to equal Blake's two drones alone. This is simply not how Sherwood is running this game (Sherwood, don't hesitate to correct me on any of this. It's your game, after all).

This is my last post on this topic. I'm here to discuss just about anything else.

Game on!

Dann i see that you are upset and since this does kind of feel like beating a dead horse i can definitely understand why you may feel that way. however i must make this clear, you have not offended me in anyway, i accept arguing and find it very productive. in fact over the course of this discussion i have come to a possible reason that the drones rail gun says that it can fire 6 bursts per round. my guess is that they set that as a limiter. it is not saying that i have the capability of firing six bursts per attack (as i previously thought and pursued) but instead it is there as a limiter saying that the gun is only capable of being fired 6 times every round. any actions past those six cannot be used to fire the gun. this is a possible solution / reason that i have thought of and if i am not mistaken i have mentioned this in a previous post as a possibility.

sherwood, i am sorry for the apparent disruption that i have caused. please believe me when i say that it was not my intention to cause so much anger and frustration. my goal was to simply have a discussion hoping to figure out the meaning behind why the rail gun on my drones said that it can fire six bursts per round. while i had previously believed that it meant that i could fire six times each round (in my mind each round was translating to each round of actions so i apologize for that inconvenience) but now i am leaning more towards the idea of it being set there as a limiter as i stated in a previous post.

once more i apologize to everybody for any inconvenience that i may have caused you. if you have any problems with anything i did please feel free to confront me about them so that we may discuss them and hopefully overcome them. i much prefer blunt statements over beating around the bush while the problem remains unsolved. (i hope that sounds right)

I hope noone minds that I did not join the discussion above - there are a few important things mentioned in there, just didn't feel like I had much to add besides those. Besides, others know the rules far better than I do. Thanks for taking your time to type your thoughts down, all of you. I appreciate the constructive attempts to solve the issues at hand, and I hope that noone was severely offended in the process. After all, we're here to have fun.

Apart from that, I'll try to get a short post up soonish - was slightly distracted the last few days, and thus somehow didn't managed to take care of the essential things - like shooting the bad guys, for example. Whoops.

glad to hear from you silanon. sorry to hear about you being distracted i hope that everything is ok for you. and i agree we are all here to have fun, and i hope that is what will continue to occur in this RP. because i personally am having a blast. and i hope that everyone else is as well.

hope i didnt offend anyone. and if i didnt then i am sorry.

I am still thinking you are confusing Actions for a full Round. A single Round is 15 seconds. In this round, you have multiple Actions. Depending on your level and OCC, you can have as few as four, or as many as ten or more.

Your drones have the capability of firing (that is, having Actions) up to six times in one Round. That is not to say that every one of your six actions you can fire six times. That would be thirty six Actions in a single Round, and waaaay overbalanced. This is as clear as I can be on the subject.

Sherwood Sherwood I've got a short question for you - the magic net spell hits an area of 10 ft/3m, which clearly isn't enough to catch one of the serpents as a whole. Is it possible to only aim for the torso, and thus only hinder its combat capabilities while doing very little to its general movement? Or is the serpent simply not targetable at all? I'm asking because I'm considering to net the unwounded serpent so that the rest of the group can take care of the other one without worrying too much what might happen at the beginning of the next round.

And, just to consider all the options - how close are the humanoids together? Could I catch 'em instead?

You can nail the upper torso of the undamaged Serpent armor easily enough, or you can snag a pair of the Manling armor instead.

The serpent it is - I'll hopefully have a post up in a bit. Thanks!

I just noticed that I still didn't do my level-up - whoops. I'll take care of that after the fight.

Not long-term, anyway - for now, I shall trust my teammates to compensate that little mishap - get 'em!

Um, this teammate has not yet earned the xp to make level 3, so don't feel too bad, Silanon. =)

Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon Psychie Psychie DraconianWarrior DraconianWarrior
In other news! Looks like Palladium is having a PDF sale for 200+ Rifts books! 50% off so far from what I've seen! It's all here at Drive-ThruRPG.com. The sale ends midnight on 28th January so get 'em soon! Enjoy, friends!

Thanks for the hint - I'll definitely check it out. Don't have access to them in my local store, so every opportunity to get 'em cheaper is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back