• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Adventure OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
No problem! Just make sure you keep track of your PPE. If you are going into combat, there are two spells you should have as your good friends: Armor of Ithan, and Immunity to Energy. As long as you are being targeted by an energy weapon, the ItE Spell will make you completely invulnerable. You can still be hurt by physical attacks like punches, kicks and bullets. The AoI spell is just a good, all around defense one that works against all attacks.

In the description of each spell there is the PPE cost for casting it. So long as you have the energy, you can cast.

Also, being on a Ley Line will give you extra PPE every round, and being at a Ley Line Nexus provides you with even more. One of the natural abilities of the Ley Line Walker is the ability to sense Ley Lines. Make sure you ask on occasion if you are near one.

Looks good. Go ahead and make an initiative roll. Once you have made a post, go into the edit option. There you'll see a selection marked 'roll dice'. Click on that, then you can put in the number of faces for the die, and how many to roll. The nice thing about this roller is that it cannot be deleted, keeping the 'I'll roll the dice until I get the result I want' from happening.

Initiative is a d20, with any bonus you may have on your sheet.

Sherwood, for initiative purposes, Gradicus is going to use sword and shield in this fight.

Does Lore: Demons and Monsters or his gladiatorial experience help identify the creatures?

Unfortunately, you have never seen these creatures before.

What is Gradicus' Initiative bonus with the sword and shield?

Short question: Is there enough time to activate armor/amulets and the like, or is the attack too sudden to get that done?

I will give those in immediate combat one power/amulet activation with your initiative roll.

Yay - I may survive the first few seconds of the fight, then! I'll get a post up soonish.

Ok, Purr Purr , your initiative came up as a 14 on the die, with your +6, it gives you a 20. Pretty good number.

Don't worry about that. There are enough bad guys to go around.

Just so you have an idea on how combat runs in this system, here is a quick rundown on it.

Everyone has a number of attacks in each 15 second melee round. You have six. As everyone's initiative is rolled, I list the initiative order.

22 - bob <====
18 - fred
14 - tom
10 - larry

With the 22, Bob acts first. Everyone gets to use their first action, and as they act, I mark off their actions to look like this:

22 - bob [1]
18 - fred [1]
14 - tom <====
10 - larry

This shows that Bob and Fred have both used their first action, and now it is Tom's turn. Casting a spell, using a weapon, or using a dodge all use up one action. Lets show how that works. Tom is going to shoot at Bob. Bob doesn't want to get hit, so he will declare a dodge. That looks like this:

22 - bob [2]
18 - fred [1]
14 - tom [1]
10 - larry <====

Assuming that everyone has the same number of attacks, in the first round, Bob has used two of his to try and avoid getting hit. For most people, a dodge is an attack action. For some special classes, there is an automatic dodge that does not use an action, but those are rare. Attack rolls are a d20, and a natural 1-4 is an automatic miss. Either your attack is off target, or your weapon overheats for a moment and doesn't fire. Something happens to make you miss. On the flipside, a natural 20 is a critical, doing double damage.

In melee combat, a parry can be used, and it does not take up an attack, but you have to have a object (sword, staff, shield, etc) that can survive the impact.

Either way, when you make your defense roll, it is a d20 with whatever bonuses you may have against the roll to hit made by the attacker. So if I roll a 14, you have to tie or better my roll to parry or dodge.

In our example, lets assume that everyone has five actions except for bob. He has eight. Once everyone has reached their fifth action, bob still has actions that the others do not. He can act freely at this point, and assuming that he hasn't dodged anymore, he still has two actions left over that the others can only attempt to parry, since they no longer have actions to dodge.

O.K.. Are we then waiting on an initiative roll from Vaneheart?

Yes. I'm about to make a IC post showing the initiative order.

I am seriously tempted to fork out the cash for a pair of those elemental crystals that Sherwood is allowing us for my Automations. I could do twice the melee damage I can do right now with the swords that Baby and Junior have.

Too late to do it now. Once you are out of combat, perhaps you'll be able to.

I bought four of the darned things (two lightning, two acid). They almost double the damage of Summertime and they triple the damage of Wintertime. I'm hoping it'll turn out to be six million credits well-spent! =)

Sherwood Sherwood

When you say Terra cannot detect their rough experience level with See Aura, does that mean they have no effective level or is there some way to block that knowledge? Would she know if her spell had failed? Also, Gradicus's Sense Evil spell detected no evil though (in Gradicus's mind, that creature murdered the human in cold blood). Would he know if his spell were blocked somehow? Or is he stuck playing a guessing game?

I am working on the belief that since they are robots, and they do not have an effective level listed in their description, that is why I said that Terra doesn't see a 'level' and why you didn't see anything on your Sense Evil.

Ah! That is kind of you to confirm with us here in Out-of-Character and it makes perfect sense. I thought they were (given the strange heat signature from the core of their bodies but not their extremities) either robots or an odd form of emotionless insect (in that the Sense Evil spell registered nothing). Thanks, bud! That answers my question even if our characters are still in the dark (as well they should be)! =)

Sherwood, with his Lore: Magic, does Grad know what Terra's magic wall does? Also...

So, with this spell, do I need to roll a dodge, or am I safe since I am now behind full cover?

I will know what Grad wants to do after I know what he knows. =)

Last edited:
Yes, with your Magic Lore, you would know that the barrier is not like a Armor of Ithan spell or your magic talismans in the way that the barrier spell that Terra cast. This spell is completely invulnerable and immobile, and will block all attacks going both directions. It can be used as cover to duck behind or to attack around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back