• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Rifts Adventure IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
"Well met, Sir Drutarak. While I do not have much in the way of direct knowledge, there are some places in the area that you speak of that might be willing to accept them. The nation of Free Quebec is not like the bunch of fanatics of the Coalition. If you find that their homes are no longer safe, you may be able to convince the authorities to accept these people."

Capt, Ramius nods. "Aye. I have done business with them many times, using my old ship to transfer cargo for various clients. I know some people there that might be willing to help, assuming that there is no home for these people to go to."

Habbattar looks over at Gradicus. "Good sir, do you have any questions for our benefactor? The connection is about to end."
Purr Purr

"Hold!" Gradicus straightened in surprise. The thorn of Creativity had poked him and he was not about to ignore it. He thought the answer, at least for the four refugees they were sent for, might be right under his very nose! "Elder Brazamal! Friends! Can anyone provide me the directions to get to Elder Brazamal's mansion from here and back to this vessel? And..." he excitedly peered at Terra and Shaona," someone with the Breathe Without Air spell! Do you have it? Tell me quickly!"

No open war, at least for now - perhaps about to change sooner rather than later, but that's been the case for a while now. She may not respond with much more than a relieved breath, but some of the tension seems to fall off Shaona's shoulders as she listens to the others' questions. Not much advice, too little known - Quebec, though? Not the worst of places from what she's heard, maybe worth a visit at some point; preferably not now, though, there's more on the line elsewhere. Much more, if you trust the seers. Makes you wonder how likely it is that the swarm appears within the coalition's territory. That'd be convenient as hell...

The slayer interrupts that thought, seemingly surprised that the spell is ending; hard to tell without knowing the spell yourself, sometimes, maybe even harder for the likes of him. She offers another burst of her magical strength to perhaps keep the spell going for just a moment longer; a bit more time for a different approach. "Pretty basic spell, I'd say. Doubt you'll find many who didn't learn it ever, noone wants their new apprentice to drown. If that's really all you need, I've got ya covered." A short pause as brain cells try to do their thing, but fail to find an immediate answer to the most obvious question. "What for, though? Water or vacuum?"

"Hold!" Gradicus straightened in surprise. The thorn of Creativity had poked him and he was not about to ignore it. He thought the answer, at least for the four refugees they were sent for, might be right under his very nose! "Elder Brazamal! Friends! Can anyone provide me the directions to get to Elder Brazamal's mansion from here and back to this vessel? And..." he excitedly peered at Terra and Shaona," someone with the Breathe Without Air spell! Do you have it? Tell me quickly!"
Directions are easily given, along with the location of the ship. Capt. Ramius tells you, "There are some comm systems that you can use to triangulate your position to locate us, or you can go to the map location of Wangler's Knob, since we are headding there as it is. What's your plan, Atlantian? I've seen you fly before; are you planning on doing that underwater to get to the coast with the help of the Breathe Without Air spell?"

"The coast? Hah!" Gradicus grinned widely to everyone. "Why stop there? Group, I have the means to fly myself while carrying two others all the way to Elder Brazamal's mansion! I can have our four refugees there and our mission completed in less than an hour! Far less! Listen well, my friends!"

Gradicus went into detail. "The creativity of my beloved Clan Marciniszyn bloodline stirs within me and demands I give voice to a wild plan. Indeed, I believe our adventures have provided the means! Here is what we could do! Now that my energies are restored, my tattoo magic allows me to fly even in space at speeds over 2,000 miles per hour. That is 4 times faster than most bullets. It is nighttime, and I can use my Cloak of Darkness to create a field of nigh-invisibility about and around me. Nothing my size will show up on radar, especially given that I am not made of metal, and I can leave most of my gear here with you to aid in travel. I can carry passengers with my supernatural strength with ease, but how are they protected up there? A Breathe Without Air spell assures the heights will take care of the need for oxygen while these," the inspired gladiator pulled forth two of the Blind Warrior Woman talismans, "will protect my passengers from the wind and force of flying!

"I can carry Garran, Habbattar, Mellar and Ragnar to Elder Brazamal's mansion with just two trips with plenty of time to see the Wangler's Knob refugees to their own homes in Maine! Shining stars, I can even collect our rewards and bring them to you, if you trust me with them. Of our adventuring group, the only things I believe I cannot transport would be the Badger or Terra's automatons, Baby and Junior! With this plan, our refugees could sleep inside the safe walls of Elder Brazamal's mansion this very hour!

Ears and mind open, Gradicus addressed everyone with hope in his blue eyes. "What say you all?"

Terra sits there, trying to process the idea. "That . . . is an awesome thought! It would get the four of them back to Lord Brazamal in no time! I like it!"

Although there is little time left to discuss, the technowizard takes her time to respond. Not because it is a hard decision, there seems to be only one reasonable response with pretty much no downsides; but because of the possibilities that the proposal alone seems to offer, not just for now, but for later as well. She's seen the slayer conquer the skies before, much speedier than anything her own magic could accomplish; and yet, she's missed the most obvious application: To simply fly away. Certainly now, where the four escapees can get where they want to be right away; perhaps later, when preparation turns into actual war.

"Can't ask for much more than a simple solution; don't see how this could ever be the wrong call. Would still have enough firepower here to act if something happens in the meantime - and you'd be back before we get close to any real danger. If you can bring my part of the payment along, that'd be good - if Olsen could find us books about the Old Ones, potential connections with the Splurgoth and something about possible swarms, that'd be even better. And anything else that'd interest me, guess he knows me well enough by now."

A moment of hesitation follows, one where her eyes stare at the chalk lines close to her feet as if there was something about them that only she can see. "Got a question for you, though, Gradicus." Not the shortened name, all those countless (three) syllables. "Think you could make the trip thrice? Not right now, doubt I could find anything within those few minutes I'd be there, nothing that others missed at least. But later, when the war begins. Got friends out there, people I owe a lot. No point in returning just yet, I'd say - but it'll begin at some point." If the words leave any room for interpretation, her serious facial expression does not; she hasn't spent more time than usual pondering about the upcoming times without reason.

"Not that I'd want you to get involved; not your war, after all, probably. Just a safe trip back to Brazamal when it's time. Would mean a lot." A careful smile breaks through the earnestness, one thumb points ahead. "Might make it easier to do the right stuff without worrying if I should be on my way."

Ragnar looks dubious, but finally nods. "Aye, I suppose that this would work. Just make sure that you take Mellar on your first trip to get her there, safe and sound. I don't want to have her out here and possibly getting hurt if the Raider runs into trouble. Take that for what it's worth, but I want her out first."

"Got a question for you, though, Gradicus." Not the shortened name, all those countless (three) syllables. "Think you could make the trip thrice?"

The young Atlantean pondered deeply. "I would gladly make the journey with you, Shaona, but what you wish for at the destination is beyond my ability to provide. Hmm. If you wish it, I could ask Olsen or elder Brazamal for you?"

* * *​

Just make sure that you take Mellar on your first trip to get her there, safe and sound. I don't want to have her out here and possibly getting hurt if the Raider runs into trouble. Take that for what it's worth, but I want her out first."

"I believe you, Ragnar." And with that, Gradicus turned to Mellar, both to check on her condition and to see how she felt on the matter. After all, to Gradicus, Mellar was far more than a powerful soothsayer - she was a woman and therefore worthy of respect. While Ragnar was most likely just looking out for her safety, Gradicus felt the decision on when she should go, or not to go if that were her choice, was not up to Ragnar, but the lady herself.

"My lady, how do you feel? For all you have done for us, I offer you the swiftest, stealthiest, and safest means I can provide you to the pleasures of Elder Brazamal's exquisite mansion." Gradicus bowed to her with all of the great respect she was due, for without her aid, their group might have failed in a number of ways.

He offered his helping hand to Mellar. He meant every movement and every word when he said, "To stay or go, the choice belongs to you and you alone. How may I return the blessing of your presence with us?"

If she took him up on his offer, Gradicus performed his plan as stated. If not, she remained.

Mellar rises up and gives Ragnar a gentle touch on the shoulder. "My friend, you have been looking out for me for years, and I owe you much. But I need to be able to use my gift to try and come up with the best way to keep the war from taking more than it already has." Looking at Gradicus, she nods. "I accept your offer of swift passage to Brazamal's manor house if you can be on watch for the Swarm. It is a threat that is capable of tremendous evil, and you are on the cusp of facing this before the seed has a chance to grow. You must stop it."

Ragnar lets out a sigh. "I must accept the fact that, once more, you are right." Turning to Gradicus, he says, "You said you can carry more than one of us at a time. Who will be going with you on your first trip? If I were to make a suggestion on that, I would say that either Garran or myself would be the best choice, just in case there is any trouble that you can't outfly."

Gradicus turned to Mellar. "Do you have a preference?"

Mellar gives off a tired smile. Looking down at the dwarf, she says, "I will happily travel with you, my friend. We can be on our way any time you are ready, noble Gradicus."

Gradicus smiled at the compliment and then turn to the rest of his group. "If there is anything you want, do tell me. Terra? Do you want me to return with your share of your reward or leave it with Elder Brazamal?"

With that, unless someone gave him reason to pause, Gradicus set his plan in motion and with the exception of his pistols, he left his ranged weapons on board Capt. Raimus's new vessel. Once his preparations were complete, he stealthily flew away with Mellar and Ragnar.

Before Gradicus goes out, Terra will tell him, "Go ahead and bring the reward money back with you. I trust you in this. Besides, once we run into this Swarm, it might take us a while before we all get back to Dweomer. We may run into a place where the funds will come in handy."

"Aye, Terra. I shall and better still! I shall ask if he or Olsen have things to sell to us and if their answer is enriching, I shall return and share what they have told me with you." He waved his hand to the group. "If then you find something to agree upon, I shall to see to it when I return with Garran and Habbattar. Then upon returning here my second time, I will bring with me what he provides." Gradicus grinned. "This assumes they have anything for sale at all. Until then, fair seas and shining skies to you!"

With that, Gradicus made his way off to Elder Brazamal's mansion at best speed.

Up on deck, Gradicus takes up the burden of his two passengers and takes to the sky. Mellar clutches to the back of the strong Atlantian, while Ragnar lets out a excited whoop as the three of you take off. From the current position of the Slaver ship, it does not take long before the three of you see land thanks to the great speed of Gradicus' flying powers.

With you following your directions to get to Dweomer, it is not long before it is time to slow down and make a more concerted effort to locate Brazamal's mansion. Settling down in the courtyard, Mellar manages to pry her hands loose from your back as Ragnar lets out a laugh. "Well damn, son! You are a quick one! I had not expected to get to see the dragon so fast, safe and sound! You have our thanks. Now Mellar, you don' be looking too good. At least you didn't get sick all over Gradicus' back! Take a few deep breaths, girl."

Mellar does look a bit queasy, but her color is returning fast. "I, too, wish to add my thanks to you, good Gradicus. Now, let us go see our benefactor."

With a quick rap on the door, you are met by Brazamal's assistant, Olsen. He looks surprised to see you. "Ah! Excellent to see you! Lord Brazamal is waiting inside. Please, come in!"

The sitting room is still the same as the last time you saw it, with a roaring fire keeping the place feeling warm and cozy. It is not a long wait before the elder dragon comes walking in with a wide smile on his face. "Mellar, my dear! Ragnar, my old friend! I had hardly dared to hope that I would ever see you. It seems that my trust in your rescuers was well placed! Come, make yourselves comfortable."

Brazamal busies himself getting some drinks for everyone, and sets a tumbler of brandy in front of the three of you. "Gradicus, are you going to be staying here for a time, or do you plan on flying back right away?"

Gradicus returned Mellar and Ragnar's compliments with a humble wave. He was very thankful for their gratitude, but the simple fact that they had been slaves and then refugees as he had once been was more than enough to motivate the True Atlantean to action. Their words were icing on a wonderful cake and they brought a smile to his face.

When Elder Brazamal entered, Gradicus bowed properly to him, for the young gladiator bowed only to those he respected. He spied the brandy and thought better of it. He had done enough dumb things when full of drink that he did not want to tempt himself now even with a single draught. Instead, he focused himself on remembering his duty to his fellowship and to every refugee back on Captain Raimus's new vessel. "Hail, good Brazamal! Your house is a warm and welcome sight! Mine will be a short stay, for I must return with Habbattar and Garran to complete our mission and see them here. Then I might stay a touch longer, for there are far more refugees with us that I would see home."

With that, Gradicus gave Elder Brazamal a full and detailed account of their travels from the time they left the mansion to the present. He left nothing out.

"My group is thus bound for Wangler's Knob in the former American state of Maine. Before I return, I would ask - are there items, spells, or services we might purchase from you or anyone you trust including Olsen? Once our rewards are earned and with us, we will have credits to spend and we would make you the first we do business with!"

Brazamal listens carefully as Gradicus tells the tale of how you got to this point. He is intent, but does occasionally smile and laugh as you describe the fight at the Splurgoth base, and the rescue of Sir Dru. During this, he sips at his drink, then sets it down next to him and steeples his fingers. "I have many things that you may be interested in, but I do not know exactly what you may wish to shop for. If you can give me or Olsen some idea of what you are looking for, I can search through my stash of things for something. In the meantime, I have data cards with your payment and that of your comrades, easy for you to take back if you wish."

OOC Those that did take the offer of the Altarian Talisman, you have a data card with 15 million on it. If I am not mistaken, all of you did take one, so the 15 mil is for everyone. You do have several items that you can try to sell back, like the six other talismans. Or you can keep them for future use. As for the offer of something to buy from Brazamal, feel free to look in the books for various TW weapons that you can afford. Most of these items that you can afford will be available to you from the dragon. Just give me your wish list.

Over the course of several hours, Gradicus makes the first of several trips back and forth from Lord Brazamal's mansion and the Slaver Raider. Even with the Atlantean's great flying speed, it will require several trips and several hours to get all the goods and people moved back and forth. By the time that the final delivery is being made, the Slaver Raider is in sight of the coast, almost to Wangler's Knob.

It is midmorning when Capt. Ramius throttles back the speed of the captured ship and approaches the fishing town. It is strangely silent as the Raider slips up to the shore and lowers a gangway ramp to allow the Badger and Terra's Automations to be able to move down to the shore without jumping down into the water. Once the large Automations and the APC is down, Ramius has the ship close up the ramp until he gets a signal that it is all clear for the civilians to disembark.

Everyone, please give me a Perception roll

Terra is on Baby as they tromp their way down the ramp and onto the shore. Keeping her eyes open as they go, she is especially aware for possible nasty surprise that was left behind by the Splurgoth raiding party. Using the eyes on her Automations, she searches for any signs of life here.

Moving forward with caution, Gradicus and Terra begin to look around. The town shows signs of MDC weapons firing off here, but you knew to expect to see that from the tale of the attack by the Splurgoth minions. But, both of you have enough experience with firearms of various types to be able to tell that some of these blaster marks are much fresher than the others; on an order of several days fresher.

Using the Multi-Optics Helmet, Gradicus can see several heat signatures in the nearby buildings.

As you are looking about, one of the doors in a nearby building burst open and a middle aged man runs out in a panic! He screams out, "Run, you fools! Before its too late!"

From Bobo's point of view, things are much less exciting. You are on foot, tracking a set of heavy footprints that are on the move towards the town of Wangler's Knob. At the moment, it is mid-morning, and you can see the outskirts of the town.

sirlabe sirlabe

Bobo was blazing down the trail, with his tie flapping in the wind. He had hopped that he'd been on the trail of survivors. Bobo was struggling to run, because of the full suit he was wearing. His hair was slicked back, and he meant business. (HaHa) Bobo didn't like the idea of villages being whipped out by some swarm, so he was on his way to protect them!

Some aboard of the ship might say that they finally reached their destination - home to some, or at least solid ground. For the technowizard, however, it's been too little time; only a few hours after Grad's second return, and thus barely enough time to browse the formula-filled books that he managed to bring. Speed-reading helped with some of that, skipping some sleep helped out as well; the result is a tired-looking woman who seems quite fine to stay in the back.

Until the sudden noise and movement calls for her reflexes to prepare for the worst - as the man appears and shouts his warning, her gun quickly rises to response to his sudden appearance; it takes a while, perhaps too long, for her mind to catch up and turn the barrel away from the civilian. The wariness, however, remains. "Run away from what, exactly? Got friends of yours with us, came to help." Her finger leaves the trigger such that her thumb can point towards the ship they might've seen. "Ship's ours, borrowed it in Atlantis. We're not with the Splurgoth, we've got proof if it matters. Tell us what ya fear."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back