Other Random question of the day

Random question of the day:

Would it actually be possible to be born into a different family if you prevent your parents from getting together like what Stewie did in Family Guy?
Tbh, I think that if you went back in time and your parents DID still get together, you still wouldn't be born if you, say, shook hands with your dad. Him moving even a little differently might mix up the sperm and make a different one "win the race".

No. What makes you...you...is the combination of genes that you get from your parents. If you had different parents, then you would get different genes, thus becoming someone else.

As Murdergurl Murdergurl kind of touched on, there is a certain question of what makes you ‘you’. If we take a specific soul to be tied to that thing, then biological realities needn’t necessarily have an effect on you being born, and instead whatever mechanism / will determine what souls would form.

Under a memories or personality perspective you’d end up with someone different. Very similar perhaps, but different in some ways at least, and indeed small differences can build to a great impact. Biologically speaking the body would also be quite distinct.

What I usually do when that happens, use the opportunity to stuff that I wouldn’t want people prying into but involve loud sounds or bringing something I hard to hide…

What would you do if your parents were out of town and left you home alone for the weekend?
Gonna hafta roll this back to many, many years ago when I actually lived with my parents. lol

This happened quite a few times, actually. And most of the time I didn't do much. But sometimes if the opportunity presented itself, I'd invite a couple friends over to hang out. Otherwise, I just went out myself and got back home whenever.

When I lived with my mom, I had been left home alone. I was responsible enough to go about my day and keep watch of the house. Didn't do anything out of pocket because that's lame.

Not sure if I asked this one before, but...

What's the most shocking death in a movie/TV show/video game (In your opinion)? (Please put your answers in spoilers for this question)

Not sure if I asked this one before, but...

What's the most shocking death in a movie/TV show/video game (In your opinion)? (Please put your answers in spoilers for this question)
I'd hafta say that the ending to the movie The Mist was a pretty unexpected sucker punch. Steven King movie, so he was directly involved in the making. As such, the movie held to the book (it was more of a short story than a book) pretty accurately. So, when the movie ending diverged from the ambiguous "driving off into the uncertain future" ending that the book had, it was like.... damn.

No answers to yesterday's question. What a shame.

What's the dumbest thing you've done when you were a kid?
Idk I ran across a busy highway chasing a dog once. No rational thoughts were going through my head at the time.

I'd hafta say that the ending to the movie The Mist was a pretty unexpected sucker punch. Steven King movie, so he was directly involved in the making. As such, the movie held to the book (it was more of a short story than a book) pretty accurately. So, when the movie ending diverged from the ambiguous "driving off into the uncertain future" ending that the book had, it was like.... damn.
Stephen King himself said the movie had a better ending than his book

Only in the sense that “you can’t prove a negative” (a phrase which is generally true though there are exceptions).

If I told you in space there is a floating living 5th century teapot named Maggie who loves to regularly watch The Walking Dead. The statement may be totally absurd from a common sense standpoint, but logically speaking it doesn’t actually follow that a lacking of supporting evidence for something (that one can find or is aware of) means it is untrue. If I had never eaten a hamburger that wouldn’t imply I couldn’t or wouldn’t. In the way, again from a purely logical standpoint of “a fictional character has never come into existence in reality, let alone used that chance to murder someone” doesn’t actually imply that that very statement couldn’t happen. That the supposedly nonexistent cannot become something which exists or kill someone that exists is not a statement that follows, again, from a purely logical standpoint. You can’t logically disprove that I could and would eat a hamburger. You can’t logically disprove Maggie. You can’t logically disprove Mickey Mouse coming out of the TV stream and mugging you for your money and your life. Though that particular example may be more true life than most such examples.

The exception I can think of when it comes to proving a negative is an internal contradiction. “That married man isn’t single” is a provable statement because there is a contradiction between being married and being single. The properties of the two concepts are mutually exclusive and therefore it is true that one cannot be true while the other is and vice versa. External contradictions can sometimes work, probably, though I think in most cases you’ll just end up with a longer chain of non-provable negatives (you might say there are no living teapots or teapots have no eyes so they can’t watch things, but those statements in turn are infalsiable negatives).

While there are many from a common sense point of view cases of utter absurdity here, this concept is scientifically very important. Seldom is there an instance in science in which something is rigorously speaking “proven”. Generally what you have is “falsified” and “not yet falsified” statements. If you fundamentally can’t falsify a theory then that theory is considered pseudo-scientific best.

PS: You could also get cute and say that a fictional character indirectly kills someone by means of, say, someone being distracted by them and being run over or something.

What are your views on like farmers on social media (People that bait people into liking their posts using sad pictures and claim you have no heart if you don't like)?

Farmers should be allowed to have social media if they like. They are people, too. Just like doctors and lawyers, and teachers, etc. lmao

In all seriousness, though. I don't get into any of that bait. I don't even really HAVE social media to begin with. My involvement on RP sites (like this one) is about as social as I get online. No twitters, no instagrams, no ticktocks.... none of that. I do still have a facebook. But it's been so long since I've logged on that I couldn't even give you a proper guess as to how long it's been. Lets' put it this way: The last time I was active on facebook, was when Monster Hunter Gen was new and poppin'. I was in a fan group and used it as a launch point to get in on hunting parties, etc. And after that died out... well, I didn't have a lot of other reasons to be on it.

So yeah... I'm not very social about social media.

That being said, I think it's kinda pathetic to base self-worth on social media likes. And being an attention whore for such things is just... #sad

I mean it’s not doing any real harm. Even if there was that’s just the kind of practice you don’t have any way to prevent without massive collateral damage as a result of policies that are inevitably either too specific (thus failing to actually put a stop even to your average case and still probably getting some false flags) and one that is too broad or vague thus getting large numbers of unrelated people caught up in it. You have a limited number of people who are actually available to parse through and make a distinction under those vague criteria as well, and each of those is a valuable and likely expensive resource to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back