Other Random question of the day

No, not broadly like this lol. There are specific sects of hipsters (mostly the gatekeeping ones or the ones that act superior for having an interest in something “before everyone else”) that annoy me, but it doesn’t apply to all of them.
It also depends on how you define hipster (as in who falls into the category) because I’ve seen definitions vary as well. But in general I would say no.

No, not broadly like this lol. There are specific sects of hipsters (mostly the gatekeeping ones or the ones that act superior for having an interest in something “before everyone else”) that annoy me, but it doesn’t apply to all of them.
It also depends on how you define hipster (as in who falls into the category) because I’ve seen definitions vary as well. But in general I would say no.

My thoughts exactly.

Random question of the day:

Do you agree that Universal Music Group are scumbags for making so many false copyright claims on YouTube videos?

I'm new here, so, haven't really seen you complain about the copyright claims on youtube, but Universal, and the whole music industry, are scumbags for more than just false copyright claims.

-- Edit --

Answering your question directly, yes, they are.

Yeah, I'm getting tired of these loaded questions as well. Please ask something else.

Eh...the questions have always been hit or miss in this thread. Some are quite intriguing but then there's others that make me go "why is this even being asked?"

Yes. I'm all about the darker themes in writing. Warm and fluffy stuff bores me quite quickly.

Do you like stories that feature angst?
If it's done well, yes, but I don't like when it's dark and brooding the whole time. Even very dark stories have moments of love, friendship, camaraderie, fun, joy, etc.

Lots of amateur stories I read are very heavy-handed with the serious emotional issues, and it rarely works because it often comes off as absurd and Narm-y. If a character starts whining for several paragraphs and their spiel reads like a tantrum from the mouth of a teenage boy upset that his parents took away his Xbox, I'm already checked out. Ditto if they're equating something relatively small with the literal end of the world as we all know it.

Yeah, I'll agree with the poster above, teen angst get that crap out of here. But, I'm not opposed to it in other instances. Things can't always be sunshine and rainbows.

I love angst and always will. It can be cringey and poorly done regardless of age demographics so I have no specific grudge against teenage angst (and lets be real... being a teenager is almost inherently an angst-filled period so if done correctly it’s a perfect stage for an angsty plot).

That said... if it isn’t balanced or is overdone then I’m out. It’s normal for people to experience some angst (especially during/after dark or serious events which are what I like to explore in writing) but it’s normally something to push through rather than get mired in. When you have a character who is CONSTANTLY driven by angst with no reprieve, things get annoying pretty fast. Obviously it can come and go to varying degrees depending on the situation (ie. a character having their entire worldview flipped on its head might be full of angst for a while) but when there’s no definite motivation behind it and/or no end in sight then I do not enjoy it.

I gotta say the Crash Bandicoot series. I practically grew up with it and Spyro so it's nostalgic for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back