Other Random question of the day

Dogs have dichromatic vision while humans have trichromatic vision. This means that dogs see colour just about as well as a human with red/green colourblindness.

Dogs have more 'rods' in their eyes than we do, which give them better night vision and a better ability to track moving targets compared to humans. Additionally, dog eyes are (usually) set farther apart than a human's which gives them less 'binocular' vision (less ability to focus on something in front of them) and a wider peripheral vision.

tl;dr: Dogs see colour, just not as much as a 'regular' human.

Dogs have dichromatic vision while humans have trichromatic vision. This means that dogs see colour just about as well as a human with red/green colourblindness.

Dogs have more 'rods' in their eyes than we do, which give them better night vision and a better ability to track moving targets compared to humans. Additionally, dog eyes are (usually) set farther apart than a human's which gives them less 'binocular' vision (less ability to focus on something in front of them) and a wider peripheral vision.

tl;dr: Dogs see colour, just not as much as a 'regular' human.
In other words, Sam was right about dogs being colorblind being an old wive's tale like the one about representative democracy in Poker Night 2.

CSC_blog.jpg

They're not colorblind, they just don't see as much as we do. In turn, we don't see as much as a Mantis Shrimp [16 color cones compared to our 3 and a dog's 2].

They're not colorblind, they just don't see as much as we do.
It's the same thing. We call humans born with only dichromatic (or monochromatic) vision 'colour blind'.

Interestingly enough, some women (studies show maybe as high as 1 in 10) are tetrachromatic, which means that these special women are born able to see many, many more colours than 'normal' people. A trichromat is able to see about 1,000,000 different colours. A tetrachromat is able to see over 100,000,000.

So 1 in 10 women are born with that ability (since the gene that expresses tetrachromacy is carried in the 'x' chromosome). In contrast, 1 in 4 men are born dichromatic, which essentially means colourblind. Is this fair? No. Does this explain why women are generally better decorators? Probably.

It's the same thing. We call humans born with only dichromatic (or monochromatic) vision 'colour blind'.

Interestingly enough, some women (studies show maybe as high as 1 in 10) are tetrachromatic, which means that these special women are born able to see many, many more colours than 'normal' people. A trichromat is able to see about 1,000,000 different colours. A tetrachromat is able to see over 100,000,000.

So 1 in 10 women are born with that ability (since the gene that expresses tetrachromacy is carried in the 'x' chromosome). In contrast, 1 in 4 men are born dichromatic, which essentially means colourblind. Is this fair? No. Does this explain why women are generally better decorators? Probably.[/font]

The phrase [dogs = colorblind] is used to imply a colorblind that lacks colors, shades of grey, mostly. The myth is a myth. Yes, I know, there are humans who are red/green colorblind [I am one of those people], but that wasn't really the purpose of the question.

The word colourblind does not imply an inability to see any colour at all. At least not to me. It's not a myth that dogs are colourblind. They are, at least when you apply a human defination of what 'colourblind' is to them.

Monochromacy (rare in humans) - completely colourblind
Dichromacy (most dogs and ~25% of men) - colourblind
Trichromacy (regular humans) - normal
Tetrachromacy (~10% of women) - enhanced colour vision
Hexadecachromacy (mantis shrimp) - enhanced colour vision

Wherever it is you put 'normal' on that list, anything above is 'colourblind' and anything below is 'enhanced'.

Edit: I'm going to leave the mistake here for posterity, but upon further research it seems that monochromes aren't truly colourblind, either. There are animals in the world that have no cones in their eyes, and those animals are completely colourblind, only able to see in shades of grey.

Last edited:
Guys, I once again remind you that there is a link to a discussion thread at the beginning of this thread for the discussion of questions as to not clog up this thread with discussion. Please and thank you.

Random question of the day:

Is inheritance really just relatives dropping their loot when they die?

Because there's this insane social paradigm floating around; "violence never solves anything."

They don't often go on to explain why, then, every single political problem in the last 5000 years (and probably longer, but we have to stop when writing was invented) has been met and solved through violent means.

The abolishment of slavery was not non-violent.
Stopping the Nazis from swallowing the world was not non-violent.
Overturning tyrannical governments has never been non-violent.

If your kid beats the shit out of a bully, you should probably give them a high five and then take your kid for ice cream. The world needs people who will stand up for themselves (and others).

I heard a comedian once mention that he thought that the reason men are generally more polite to one another (and the world) is that men have this cultural certainty that if they 'go too far' some other man is going to try to beat them up. This keeps most men firmly on the 'polite' side of that line. Women grow up with an expectation that they will not be attacked ever, and now we have a world full of Karens as a result of that feeling of invincibility.

Girls, do us all a favour and punch other girls in the nose if they get out of line. A generation or two of that and we'll all be back to being polite.

Last edited:
Well when I was in school, the more popular preppy type of kids were bullies to other kids and seeing how their parents went to the same school and were friends/former classmates with school officials it wasn't hard to imagine why they would side with them over others.

The schools I went to, they suspended both kids for fighting, regardless of who started it or why the fight happened... so... I can't really speak to an experience or thing I've never actually seen.

It's not stupid to be an optimist. Believing for the best is a good coping mechanism, and just a generally nicer way to live. Better than spending the entire pandemic crushed by crippling fear.

Optimism has to be balanced with caution, prudence, and common sense, however. If you refuse to wear a mask or stay home when sick because you're sure it'll all be fine, that's not optimism. That's denial. Because even if you expect the best possible outcome, the worst possible outcome is there, it's all too common, and it targets those who don't take it seriously.

Edit: To illustrate, I'm optimistic that I won't get injured in a wreck, but I still wear my seat belt.

Last edited:
Oof that's hard. I'd say Undertale for me. There's so many little details of the game remembering your actions. One example is killing a character and reloading a save to before you did it, and the game remembering you did that and calling you out for it. Or on second playthroughs some characters will point out how you're familiar. Not to mention how most of the endings make excellent use of the fourth wall.

I think the greatest RPG ever made is 'Earthbound' for the SNES, and it has a few places where it addresses the player, 'you', directly.

Like tropes? I'm a sucker for a paragon hero
Oof that's hard. I'd say Undertale for me. There's so many little details of the game remembering your actions. One example is killing a character and reloading a save to before you did it, and the game remembering you did that and calling you out for it. Or on second playthroughs some characters will point out how you're familiar. Not to mention how most of the endings make excellent use of the fourth wall.
"I know what you did.
You murdered her.
And then you went back, because you regretted it."
Undertale caught me completely off-guard the first time I tried to save-scum.

Like tropes? I'm a sucker for a paragon hero

"I know what you did.
You murdered her.
And then you went back, because you regretted it."
Undertale caught me completely off-guard the first time I tried to save-scum.
Same. It chilled me to the bone because it reminded me that I still killed someone.

Guys. How many times must I remind you that there is a discussion thread at the beginning of this thread to discuss questions as to not clog up this thread with discussion?

Guys. How many times must I remind you that there is a discussion thread at the beginning of this thread to discuss questions as to not clog up this thread with discussion?
I would recommend linking to it each time a question is asked so people don't forget it exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back