Other Random question of the day

Random question of the day:

Have you ever realized there could've been a 50% chance that Thanos could've snapped you out of existence during Avengers: Infinity War?

No answers yesterday. Oh well.

How have some memes such as Rick Roll, Downfall/Der Untergang and CD-I games survived for so many years?

What I have recently learned about memes at this current time:

Popular= not funny
Used to be popular = funny
Ironic= funny
Makes no sense= funny
Something is very unfunny= funny

Although the current generation loves nothing more than to change and hate things. So this is probably already an outdated take on it

I'm not an expert on internet culture by any means (Rickrolling is the only example I've heard of,) I figure it's mostly due to them being created relatively early on. These days people have constant access to new quality content. Apps like Tick Tock make it so easy to create videos that almost everyone's doing it, 500+ hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute, TV shows are released entire seasons, and there are so many indie video game developers that you could game 24/7 and still not play all the good ones. The end result is a culture that is accustomed to being obsessed with a media release for a short time before moving on to the next big thing.

I mean, look at Tiger King. How long did it take people to stop talking about it, maybe 6 months? Compare that to Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and Walking Dead, which were released week-by-week on cable and remained popular for years. Hell, r/freefolk (the GoT subreddit) still shows up near the front few pages of Reddit fairly often. Even shows like the Mandalorian, which tried to maintain longevity via the episode-a-week format, haven't aged as well. In addition, compare how fast Tick Tock trends pass (a couple of weeks to a couple months at most) compared to stuff like the ice bucket challenge. Memes are the same way. They're everywhere for a few days to weeks until we discover a fresh new format and use that instead.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. It may just be confirmation bias, where we only think older memes had more longevity because we've forgotten all the forgettable ones, or because this era's classic memes haven't yet been sufficiently distanced from the subpar ones. Heck, where do we separate the old "era" of memes from the current one? Do Harambe and Wojack count as being from this era? Because I would put them in close to the same category of relevance as Rickrolling (though not quite the same).

byz3zwh9rjy21.jpg

(Okay, so I googled CD-I and I have heard of the Zelda games of which we do not speak, still not familiar with Der Untergang.)

It's also worth considering that modern memes are less relevant because they require a baseline understanding of pop culture to "get." For Rickrolling, I don't have to know who Rick Ashley is to find the humor in misleading people to a random 80s song. For CD-I, I don't have to know who Zelda is to laugh at the absolute terrible quality of those games. With modern memes, maybe you'll still get the joke if you've never seen the media, but maybe you won't, as the humor often involves playing off the character's in-universe roll or personality or referencing a specific scene/line that may not make sense out of context. Again, it could also be that we just don't remember the memes like that from back in the day.

If you want to do more research, this is a great source on the matter.

I think Mac did a great job. Pretty much the lower the ceiling of knowledge it is to find a meme amusing, the more lasting the meme will be. I still laugh when I get Rick Rolled. Because it'll always be funny. Other memes are super specific and need to have some level of knowledge of it to get it and so will pass fairly quickly outside of the place they were created.

Okay, so this isn't answering the question but I feel like it needs to be said because it's one of the funnier and most absurd things to happen to the world in my lifetime.

So the scientist Richard Dawkins was the first person to use the word 'meme' in the modern day. It was taken from an old Greek word. Mr. Dawkins intended the word to mean 'an idea that transfers automatically through a society or cultural consciousness'.

Now... the internet took that concept and turned it into something not quite completely different, but different enough that someone using the word today as Dawkins originally intended would probably get a strange look. THIS IN ITSELF IS A MEME.

Memes are memes!

Real answer:
You can probably make it ever-so-slightly longer in terms of how much space it takes up, but it's by no means worth the effort and where I come from the length requirement is usually in words or characters.

Me being a silly spectrum person answer:
No, the font size won't fool your printer into outputting a longer sheet of paper than the one you put in.

It will definitely make it longer in terms of spending time on text formatting lol

Ive been in a lot of internet arguments but I've never seen anyone defend a viewpoint with anything remotely resembling """logic""" so I wouldn't know.

It's a natural psychological response to become defensive in response to being proven wrong. ( Google the Backfire effect.) The important thing is to recognize when you have that response and be willing to look past your emotions to acknowledge when you're wrong.

Essentially the child equivalent of "If I can;t have it my way I'm taking my ball and going home".

Do you feel that YouTubers who hate drama should actually address drama when necessary?
Really depends what the issue is. Normally I would say 'yes', if its an issue pertaining to them and something that could be explained or be given an apology. But online communities nowadays are IMO too volatile and unforgiving. You try to address your issues, and no matter how professional you try to be; swathes of people just do everything in their power to cancel you. Thus begins a vicious ouroboros of putting out drama videos trying to explain yourself only for people to get more angry instead of coming to the understanding that we are all human and make mistakes. Celebrety drama has been a thing for as long as prominent people have been a thing, and it's honestly nothing to get worked up over. I follow people for the content they make; not their personal lives or their conflict resolution skills, so I often just ignore it.

Or you can be a chad like TWA and put out an apology video before you've ever had any drama.
No answers yesterday. Oh well.

What's the most childish thing you've seen a grown adult do?
Road ragers in general, though a dude who went to my college who drove a Mustang was infamous on campus. He'd flip people off if you went slow or waited 0.00002 femptoseconds after the light turned green, blast his horn, run red lights, and drive around campus during the night with his subwoofers on. Apparently he tried to sue somebody for wrecking the car his grandfather gave to him after he rear ended them.

Literally any of those adults having tantrums over having to wear a mask in a store during a pandemic. That's pretty childish. Selfish too.

Literally any of those adults having tantrums over having to wear a mask in a store during a pandemic. That's pretty childish. Selfish too.

I got detained for a couple hours a few weeks ago for fighting a mean old man in a grocery store over exactly this.

I got detained for a couple hours a few weeks ago for fighting a mean old man in a grocery store over exactly this.
Omg, if I had a job I would absolutely get fired over these people. I would not be able to remain civil with them. Few things piss me off more than blatant selfishness and/or greed.

Just one? LoL. Why, there's so many I can write a book on them

At a restaurant once this Karen had just sat down with her husband of which their server promptly went to them, complained not even a good three minutes later(I was sitting a table away from her) about not having fast service and also having the wrong skin color seemingly claiming that since those around her were minorities, we were getting faster service than her. It couldn't have been that she and her husband weren't ready to order yet so the server went to check on other tables. I think she was expecting to have someone stand there constantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back