• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom other sky | ๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐œ๐ก๐š๐ซ๐š๐œ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ ๐Ÿ—๏ธ

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
It does make sense, don't doubt yourself! I can see where your apprehensions are coming from.

would the need for a HP system be necessary? Like, how would one determine how much 'damage' or how much one would be losing Hp when getting hit in a roleplay?
D&D is a great system for HP. It's fair, balanced, and totally reliable. Sure this isn't D&D but its useful to give ourselves a base amount of HP for a roleplay that will most certainly involve combat, plus it's a great example for how roleplays work with a system like that in place!
We need or should have a system in place that lets us know how much of a beating we can take before we pass out/die.
HP ensures we don't just tank a full on assault from 5 different keyblade wielders and come out saying "heh. You barely scratched me." Because that just seems unfair and quite unamusing. It gives us real stakes to worry over and for our support classes to take their healing efforts seriously.

Like, how would one determine how much 'damage' or how much one would be losing Hp when getting hit in a roleplay?
I believe Pookie is going for dice rolls during combat to even the playing field for everyone. How much damage would correlate to the number on the dice and the success of that hit. I've been in a LOT of roleplays where people treat damage in a fight like it's nothing and expect to blow off being burned by a super-hot flame point-blank in the face and act like the edgy silent cool kids they are and just smirk it off. (While the physical representation of the character is a twig of a person). We are playing as characters with very VERY big feats considering the KH lore. The dice will stabilize that crazy shit so we don't go all power hungry and just blitz the rp because we've got an oversized key with INFINITE COSMIC POOWAAHH.

Although I am not the GM, I am simply trying to help any fears you may have through what I've considered and looked through. Whatever I say might definitely be wrong and only Pookie can tell us what is the systems in place!

I do hope you stay though!

D&D is a great system for HP. It's fair, balanced, and totally reliable. Sure this isn't D&D but its useful to give ourselves a base amount of HP for a roleplay that will most certainly involve combat, plus it's a great example for how roleplays work with a system like that in place!
We need or should have a system in place that lets us know how much of a beating we can take before we pass out/die.
HP ensures we don't just tank a full on assault from 5 different keyblade wielders and come out saying "heh. You barely scratched me." Because that just seems unfair and quite unamusing. It gives us real stakes to worry over and for our support classes to take their healing efforts seriously.
So, please do not take this the wrong way...but I am not a fan of D&D whatsoever. I have nothing against it myself and I love the idea of what D&D is or anyone who enjoys it. I enjoy the idea of the whole thing and the concept of it but personally, I am not huge on it. I get where you're coming from with the need for the Hp system as I've experienced what you're bringing up there about those who try to act like they can power through absolutely every encounter and try to think and be like they're the MC so they cant get hurt too bad or can brush off anything simply. I get that.

Although that same thing comes back to me when it comes to stamina/endurance/durability and the such. Hp determines 'hitpoints' as to how much damage one takes before its practically over or just done for them...but how does that translate into how tired they are during battle...? The lower the hp..the more lost of stamina and such they have and going to the healing support characters classes, that only matters IF we have support people.

I dont completely disagree with the need with for a system that completely removes the Hp concept but moreover that we need to take into consideration that if we're going by 'levels' and we're 'level 1' in this case...how would everyone's health be at or lower than what Sora's hp would be in this case? If his Hp was around lets say 18, and we're expected at the most to have 18hp, then...why? He was around like 12 when he was first starting in KH1, so he is a child..expected to have lower Hp of course. I would think that someone who is twice his age, would have more?? And if we were starting around the 10 - 19 hp range..for lets say a 30 year old, lets say we fought an enemy for example, that enemy is not doing 1hitpoint worth of damage every hit. Lets say it does idk, 3 - 5, that would be at the most 5 to 6 hits before its over? For someone who is an adult at that point?

So what im trying to say is, the hp system isnt bad or anything, just the hp range to start for level 1 depending on age might be wildly different depending on the physical trait of the individual as well. Like a more healthy or athletic person might have more than a skinny scrawny person who had never done anything...or someone who is younger or more elderly as well.

Also, I would have a question regarding my own character starting at level 1. They would be a Nobody and would've already been part of the organization for quite some time, you're saying that the entirety of the time he was part of the organization..he never 'leveled up'? Since he had to learn about combat, even a tiny bit, as well as the basics of speech, his name, etc.

I believe Pookie is going for dice rolls during combat to even the playing field for everyone. How much damage would correlate to the number on the dice and the success of that hit. I've been in a LOT of roleplays where people treat damage in a fight like it's nothing and expect to blow off being burned by a super-hot flame point-blank in the face and act like the edgy silent cool kids they are and just smirk it off. (While the physical representation of the character is a twig of a person). We are playing as characters with very VERY big feats considering the KH lore. The dice will stabilize that crazy shit so we don't go all power hungry and just blitz the rp because we've got an oversized key with INFINITE COSMIC POOWAAHH.

I am truly sorry for this. Once again, I am not against the idea 100% but I can say right now that I absolutely am not for it when it comes to dice rolling. This goes back to my point about liking the concept of D&D but not preferring it. I know what the need for it is..so that one person cant say they just dealt a shit load of damage or took no damage from something...but when it comes to dice rolling..I just...cant-
The chance that a person who specializes in something like magic or really good at stealth for years or anything along the like to suddenly fall victim to a bad dice roll almost feels 'wrong'.

While I understand it in our current situation for our characters saying they will start at level 1, dice rolling might work since none of us are perfect at anything...the fact that we WOULD get better and eventually masterful at a skill or anything else and to POSSIBLY fall victim to a bad roll of like a 3 or worse case a 1...and we're masterful at that task by this point...to fail dramatically because of that? Im sorry..no. I refuse to accept that.

____

Anyway, sorry about my rambling there. x.x

So, please do not take this the wrong way...but I am not a fan of D&D whatsoever.
(Sorry about that, had to sleep for work XD)
Nah! No offense here. People have their preferences! (THEYRE THE DEVIL!! NYEEHHH THEY DONT LIKE MY FANTASY DICE GAME!)

Hp determines 'hitpoints' as to how much damage one takes before its practically over or just done for them...but how does that translate into how tired they are during battle...? The lower the hp..the more lost of stamina and such they have and going to the healing support characters classes, that only matters IF we have support people.
From a gaming stand-point as well as what I believe this roleplay is going for--even at 1HP you can do anything the same as you could at full health. You can certainly flavor that your character is on their last legs and fighting with all of their embers of energy but until they hit 0 they still have a fighting chance! (I also intend to make a support normal character, so healing will be no biggie XD).

The chance that a person who specializes in something like magic or really good at stealth for years or anything along the like to suddenly fall victim to a bad dice roll almost feels 'wrong'.
I understand your point, but I feel like I disagree. Human error is one of the MOST constant reasons for something or anything going wrong. It is just the chance of life and what could happen in it. Even a master in any certain field can still make a mistake or mess up. You can train for years to be stealthy as can be and STILL have one day where you make the mistake of being too sure of yourself and step on some creaking wood. That's why the dice are there to give you the variables of chance and what happens in it. Sure, if you're good at stealth you'll obviously get higher rolls due to your proficiency in it. But the chance at failure is never not possible.

in this case...how would everyone's health be at or lower than what Sora's hp would be in this case? If his Hp was around lets say 18, and we're expected at the most to have 18hp, then...why?
Keybearers start at lvl 1 to my knowledge. But depending on your character that you're planning to build 18 HP isn't the cap, it's just the starting point. Your character being a member of org 13 (for a while) probably nets them some goodies in terms of HP and other bonuses.

No need to apologize! I'm sorry if this isn't the roleplay for you though. You sound like a wonderful person to RP with honestly! If you're not intending to stay that is. Otherwise, I am thankful for our lil discussion actually XD

From a gaming stand-point as well as what I believe this roleplay is going for--even at 1HP you can do anything the same as you could at full health. You can certainly flavor that your character is on their last legs and fighting with all of their embers of energy but until they hit 0 they still have a fighting chance! (I also intend to make a support normal character, so healing will be no biggie XD).
If this is the case, then I will be fine or at least able to tolerate with it. XD

I understand your point, but I feel like I disagree. Human error is one of the MOST constant reasons for something or anything going wrong. It is just the chance of life and what could happen in it. Even a master in any certain field can still make a mistake or mess up. You can train for years to be stealthy as can be and STILL have one day where you make the mistake of being too sure of yourself and step on some creaking wood. That's why the dice are there to give you the variables of chance and what happens in it. Sure, if you're good at stealth you'll obviously get higher rolls due to your proficiency in it. But the chance at failure is never not possible.
Hmn, I do see your point in this and I guess that would be true. However, the fact that the chance of the dice rolls just not being on your side one day and each roll could end up being horrible just isnt my cup of tea. In the end, its just my own dislike of using a dice system that really comes into play when it comes to this lmao.

Keybearers start at lvl 1 to my knowledge. But depending on your character that you're planning to build 18 HP isn't the cap, it's just the starting point. Your character being a member of org 13 (for a while) probably nets them some goodies in terms of HP and other bonuses.

No need to apologize! I'm sorry if this isn't the roleplay for you though. You sound like a wonderful person to RP with honestly! If you're not intending to stay that is. Otherwise, I am thankful for our lil discussion actually XD
Ahh, alrighty.
Well in the end, I'll see what the GM comes up with. Last time we posted they said they were thinking of coming up with a comprise between those who wanted to do the stats and such and those who did not. Since the voting right now for the poll is tied..so depending on where our dearest GM decides to take this, I'll see whether I'll make a CS or stick around.

It was nice speaking to you about this, I do hope this helps the GM see the two sides of those who want and those who dont want the stat/dice system.

wheeee hi guys i had some irl stuff pop up along with fiddling with cs coding

pookie pookie It's because of the potential power of the Blue Mage job that made me want to ask. Like tsurene tsurene suggested, I'm thinking the character has to get hit by the attack to learn the skill, with a limited number of "slots" to hold on to.
I'm thinking of pairing this with a backstory of someone trapped in the dark realm. Their Blue Mage abilities allowed them to survive, but perhaps taking on characteristics of the local population.
no totally, i appreciate it! that format sounds good to me, and i like the idea of them adapting to the dark realm! you are totally free to do that

Sorry to be bypassing the interest check, but I'm sure y'all have room for me, right?
yup! go for it
i'll actually be posting the cs in a few minutes so you're welcome to work on that whenever

So, please do not take this the wrong way...but I am not a fan of D&D whatsoever. I have nothing against it myself and I love the idea of what D&D is or anyone who enjoys it. I enjoy the idea of the whole thing and the concept of it but personally, I am not huge on it. I get where you're coming from with the need for the Hp system as I've experienced what you're bringing up there about those who try to act like they can power through absolutely every encounter and try to think and be like they're the MC so they cant get hurt too bad or can brush off anything simply. I get that.

Although that same thing comes back to me when it comes to stamina/endurance/durability and the such. Hp determines 'hitpoints' as to how much damage one takes before its practically over or just done for them...but how does that translate into how tired they are during battle...? The lower the hp..the more lost of stamina and such they have and going to the healing support characters classes, that only matters IF we have support people.

I dont completely disagree with the need with for a system that completely removes the Hp concept but moreover that we need to take into consideration that if we're going by 'levels' and we're 'level 1' in this case...how would everyone's health be at or lower than what Sora's hp would be in this case? If his Hp was around lets say 18, and we're expected at the most to have 18hp, then...why? He was around like 12 when he was first starting in KH1, so he is a child..expected to have lower Hp of course. I would think that someone who is twice his age, would have more?? And if we were starting around the 10 - 19 hp range..for lets say a 30 year old, lets say we fought an enemy for example, that enemy is not doing 1hitpoint worth of damage every hit. Lets say it does idk, 3 - 5, that would be at the most 5 to 6 hits before its over? For someone who is an adult at that point?

So what im trying to say is, the hp system isnt bad or anything, just the hp range to start for level 1 depending on age might be wildly different depending on the physical trait of the individual as well. Like a more healthy or athletic person might have more than a skinny scrawny person who had never done anything...or someone who is younger or more elderly as well.

Also, I would have a question regarding my own character starting at level 1. They would be a Nobody and would've already been part of the organization for quite some time, you're saying that the entirety of the time he was part of the organization..he never 'leveled up'? Since he had to learn about combat, even a tiny bit, as well as the basics of speech, his name, etc.

I am truly sorry for this. Once again, I am not against the idea 100% but I can say right now that I absolutely am not for it when it comes to dice rolling. This goes back to my point about liking the concept of D&D but not preferring it. I know what the need for it is..so that one person cant say they just dealt a shit load of damage or took no damage from something...but when it comes to dice rolling..I just...cant-

While I understand it in our current situation for our characters saying they will start at level 1, dice rolling might work since none of us are perfect at anything...the fact that we WOULD get better and eventually masterful at a skill or anything else and to POSSIBLY fall victim to a bad roll of like a 3 or worse case a 1...and we're masterful at that task by this point...to fail dramatically because of that? Im sorry..no. I refuse to accept that.

____

so there's two reasons why i've been considering dice rolls and stat mechanics, loose as they are
one of them is because i think it's neat, i think in a roleplay based in a video game that partially takes place inside a video game, it's fun to engage with the fiction presented and build a character in a way that will promote ic conversation about chosen classes and stat blocks and how it is or isn't shaking out the way they thought it would when they built the character for a random mmo, not to actually inhabit that role themselves

and the others is because of the group roleplays i used to be part of
nearly every single group rp i've ever been in, there was absolutely no way to hold anyone accountable for combat
which caused not only bad faith actors, but more than that
your normal good faith actors that you've been rping with for months
getting very stubborn out of no where when the difficulty ramps up
and for combat to become really convoluted and contrived as everyone tries to not only outsmart the gm/the enemy, but each other
in a way that's less team work and more petty in fighting (that isn't just a fun ic character beat but bleeds out into ooc bc everyone's ego is hinged on it)
not to mention it made combat get boring after a while when there was no rubric for how combat goes, how to keep it balanced, and how to keep it feeling fair for the players

i figured dice would be a really easy way to make it feel fair and consistent in a way that helps players not feel like they're getting fucked over by the whims of the gm
especially since essentially a dice roll is what happens in video games, too
what determines if your hit was critical or not, or if you get the full damage from your attack
is a random number generator, which is just dice, and so i felt it fit in with the source material for the rp

and i had originally planned to be very bare bones with it
basically being transparent that i am treating combat with dice, but not having the players roll
i'd just roll for the enemy every time you try and make a hit
a simple pass/fail check with four possible answers
you hit
you don't hit
you hit for half damage
you critical hit

i'd probably do the same check for if the enemy hits the player character, but i had considered just not rollinig for enemies, and letting players decide if they get hit in their posts for themselves, because i trust my players to be responsible with that freedom

because i enjoy seeing how people approach combat, the solutions they can come up with to what is essentially a puzzle, and i like seeing people have fun with it
but i wanted it to feel reliable and fair when deciding how quickly enemies go down
i want it to feel like it means something when it counts

and though you are wary about d&d, which is fine everyone is entitled to their own opinions
i will say a d&d mechanic i was going to exclude, due to feeling like i was muddying the waters of an rp that isn't supposed to be very dice reliant when people are on the fence about stats,
is proficiencies
which enables that level of mastery you're concerned about
if you are proficient in a skill, it is far had to fail that skill
there are ways in d&d to never roll below a 10, and still get to add your proficiency modifier, making dice sometimes automatically hit for 19 or 20 or higher, showcasing your character's prowess and ability beyond what the dice say
it shows that no matter what the dice says, this character is still good at that. they are still good at their chosen role.
so there is a way built into many ttrpgs like d&d to prevent the dice from telling a story you don't want it to tell

18 is not the hard HP cap, i just showed that it's sora's as an example
18 is the average number, vitality can determine whether or not it's higher or lower for level 1
the average number at level 3 is going to be 45
characters considered npcs in things like d&d tend to have about 5 hp to their name, if that

main characters in anything, be it video games or ttrpgs or whatever, are exceptional
that's the point
so although we see 18 as being really low, because we're used to video games where characters have triple digit health pools all the time
in the frame of our pcs are going to be main characters, they are already league above what the non-main characters would have

keybearers are locked to level 1 for story reasons

the level cap otherwise is going to be level 3
which, for characters that until the rp starts, were not main characters
is pretty good! in stuff like d&d there are plenty of middle aged adventurers that because they're not exceptional, because they're not main characters, are only about level 3

i'm including hp for basically what ginko said
i just need a way for things to feel fair and like there's a sense of progress
when important cool things happen and everyone gets to essentially level up, i want it to feel significant
and not nebulous or like it doesn't matter how much effort people are putting into things
so having vanity levels and vanity hp
while, largely for flavor and i don't intend to put an exp system into place
is to make progression through the roleplay feel good
as well as feel like it fits with the setting!

do the stats matter? no, not really
i'm not going to punish anyone for the stats they pick

would i, as gm, try and find fun ways to maybe reward characters when they're excelling at their specialty and the stats they've chosen?
yeah!
just like i'd try to find fun ways to reward characters for any sort of story decision they make

honestly i'm sorry that none of this was very concrete when i posted the interest check, and that it's been nebulous since
i haven't gmed a group rp in
literally fifteen years
and i haven't been apart of a group rp for probably seven years or more
so i wasn't very confident, and i wanted to try and hear out what my potential players might want
which became complicated when it was split extremely down the middle
and what i felt were decent compromises still not feeling like compromise enough

after using the character sheet i've been working on as a guide as to what i wanted to be part of character building
i've decided to ask of my players a % for their stats that indicates affinities (what stats they feel are their strongest and weakest), i've also asked for HP and MP totals, as well as what level they are
among other things

and i'm fairly confident that i will be using at bare minimum my very simple four outcome dice check during combat, that i can alter or adjust depending on character cooperation/strengths/etc
i can weight encounters depending on player level vs enemy level
it will be simple, but it will be there

i will trust pc hp management to my players, unless specific players want to know what damage they've been hit for. i'll tell them if they ask me to, but otherwise i'll trust them to know their health pool and act accordingly

even this i fear is probably too loosely structured for a lot of people, but it's where we're going to start, and i'll figure out how to better gm from here

if this is unappealing to you, i understand, and i'm sorry i couldn't do better by you

so there's two reasons why i've been considering dice rolls and stat mechanics, loose as they are
one of them is because i think it's neat, i think in a roleplay based in a video game that partially takes place inside a video game, it's fun to engage with the fiction presented and build a character in a way that will promote ic conversation about chosen classes and stat blocks and how it is or isn't shaking out the way they thought it would when they built the character for a random mmo, not to actually inhabit that role themselves

and the others is because of the group roleplays i used to be part of
nearly every single group rp i've ever been in, there was absolutely no way to hold anyone accountable for combat
which caused not only bad faith actors, but more than that
your normal good faith actors that you've been rping with for months
getting very stubborn out of no where when the difficulty ramps up
and for combat to become really convoluted and contrived as everyone tries to not only outsmart the gm/the enemy, but each other
in a way that's less team work and more petty in fighting (that isn't just a fun ic character beat but bleeds out into ooc bc everyone's ego is hinged on it)
not to mention it made combat get boring after a while when there was no rubric for how combat goes, how to keep it balanced, and how to keep it feeling fair for the players

i figured dice would be a really easy way to make it feel fair and consistent in a way that helps players not feel like they're getting fucked over by the whims of the gm
especially since essentially a dice roll is what happens in video games, too
what determines if your hit was critical or not, or if you get the full damage from your attack
is a random number generator, which is just dice, and so i felt it fit in with the source material for the rp

and i had originally planned to be very bare bones with it
basically being transparent that i am treating combat with dice, but not having the players roll
i'd just roll for the enemy every time you try and make a hit
a simple pass/fail check with four possible answers
you hit
you don't hit
you hit for half damage
you critical hit

i'd probably do the same check for if the enemy hits the player character, but i had considered just not rollinig for enemies, and letting players decide if they get hit in their posts for themselves, because i trust my players to be responsible with that freedom

because i enjoy seeing how people approach combat, the solutions they can come up with to what is essentially a puzzle, and i like seeing people have fun with it
but i wanted it to feel reliable and fair when deciding how quickly enemies go down
i want it to feel like it means something when it counts

and though you are wary about d&d, which is fine everyone is entitled to their own opinions
i will say a d&d mechanic i was going to exclude, due to feeling like i was muddying the waters of an rp that isn't supposed to be very dice reliant when people are on the fence about stats,
is proficiencies
which enables that level of mastery you're concerned about
if you are proficient in a skill, it is far had to fail that skill
there are ways in d&d to never roll below a 10, and still get to add your proficiency modifier, making dice sometimes automatically hit for 19 or 20 or higher, showcasing your character's prowess and ability beyond what the dice say
it shows that no matter what the dice says, this character is still good at that. they are still good at their chosen role.
so there is a way built into many ttrpgs like d&d to prevent the dice from telling a story you don't want it to tell

18 is not the hard HP cap, i just showed that it's sora's as an example
18 is the average number, vitality can determine whether or not it's higher or lower for level 1
the average number at level 3 is going to be 45
characters considered npcs in things like d&d tend to have about 5 hp to their name, if that

main characters in anything, be it video games or ttrpgs or whatever, are exceptional
that's the point
so although we see 18 as being really low, because we're used to video games where characters have triple digit health pools all the time
in the frame of our pcs are going to be main characters, they are already league above what the non-main characters would have

keybearers are locked to level 1 for story reasons

the level cap otherwise is going to be level 3
which, for characters that until the rp starts, were not main characters
is pretty good! in stuff like d&d there are plenty of middle aged adventurers that because they're not exceptional, because they're not main characters, are only about level 3

i'm including hp for basically what ginko said
i just need a way for things to feel fair and like there's a sense of progress
when important cool things happen and everyone gets to essentially level up, i want it to feel significant
and not nebulous or like it doesn't matter how much effort people are putting into things
so having vanity levels and vanity hp
while, largely for flavor and i don't intend to put an exp system into place
is to make progression through the roleplay feel good
as well as feel like it fits with the setting!

do the stats matter? no, not really
i'm not going to punish anyone for the stats they pick

would i, as gm, try and find fun ways to maybe reward characters when they're excelling at their specialty and the stats they've chosen?
yeah!
just like i'd try to find fun ways to reward characters for any sort of story decision they make

honestly i'm sorry that none of this was very concrete when i posted the interest check, and that it's been nebulous since
i haven't gmed a group rp in
literally fifteen years
and i haven't been apart of a group rp for probably seven years or more
so i wasn't very confident, and i wanted to try and hear out what my potential players might want
which became complicated when it was split extremely down the middle
and what i felt were decent compromises still not feeling like compromise enough

after using the character sheet i've been working on as a guide as to what i wanted to be part of character building
i've decided to ask of my players a % for their stats that indicates affinities (what stats they feel are their strongest and weakest), i've also asked for HP and MP totals, as well as what level they are
among other things

and i'm fairly confident that i will be using at bare minimum my very simple four outcome dice check during combat, that i can alter or adjust depending on character cooperation/strengths/etc
i can weight encounters depending on player level vs enemy level
it will be simple, but it will be there

i will trust pc hp management to my players, unless specific players want to know what damage they've been hit for. i'll tell them if they ask me to, but otherwise i'll trust them to know their health pool and act accordingly

even this i fear is probably too loosely structured for a lot of people, but it's where we're going to start, and i'll figure out how to better gm from here

if this is unappealing to you, i understand, and i'm sorry i couldn't do better by you

Hmn, now I'm truly conflicted. I am definitely not a fan of dice mechanics and that would've been the set answer for me right there whether or not I would join, but with the explanation you've given here. There are things you stated that I feel like I can tolerate it, but yet at the sametime there are sections that I feel like I would just be putting myself through something I would completely dislike.

Honestly, I'm not sure anymore at all. Here...let me ask these few questions (even though I know you might've already answered them, but just to be clear and get a straight answer without the whole need for explanation...maybe? Idk) and I think I can decide from there?

- So, dice rolling will be implemented into the roleplay right?

- But...YOU will be doing the dice roll for each person during encounters?

- Dice rolling will ONLY be for combat?

- If a character has "mastered" a skill or whatever...will the dice roll still be up to a RANDOM chance they can easily fail?

- Level 1 is the start and Level 3 is the max for the rp?

- The loss of "hp" will be determined from YOU or the player?

___

I think those questions will be enough for me to get a straight answer to whether or not I will join...I think.

i love the code oh my gosh i'm so in

Hmn, now I'm truly conflicted. I am definitely not a fan of dice mechanics and that would've been the set answer for me right there whether or not I would join, but with the explanation you've given here. There are things you stated that I feel like I can tolerate it, but yet at the sametime there are sections that I feel like I would just be putting myself through something I would completely dislike.

Honestly, I'm not sure anymore at all. Here...let me ask these few questions (even though I know you might've already answered them, but just to be clear and get a straight answer without the whole need for explanation...maybe? Idk) and I think I can decide from there?

- So, dice rolling will be implemented into the roleplay right?

- But...YOU will be doing the dice roll for each person during encounters?

- Dice rolling will ONLY be for combat?

- If a character has "mastered" a skill or whatever...will the dice roll still be up to a RANDOM chance they can easily fail?

- Level 1 is the start and Level 3 is the max for the rp?

- The loss of "hp" will be determined from YOU or the player?

___

I think those questions will be enough for me to get a straight answer to whether or not I will join...I think.
That's understandable, and I'm sorry that this is so conflicting! I would not want you to put yourself through something that is just an exercise in discomfort, I hope these answers help one way or another.
  • Yes, dice rolling will be implemented into the roleplay.
  • It's less I'm rolling for the player character, and more I'm rolling for how well or poorly the enemy evades you. But yes, I figured that was the best way to avoid having to crunch damage numbers.
  • Dice rolls will only be for combat as of right now. I do not anticipate a need for it in any other circumstance.
  • The dice roll is random. What I as GM do to weight the roll is not. Since we're not doing standard, traditional proficiencies, you won't have a number you can add to it. But if a character has narrative reason to excel at something, I'm going to make it easier for that character to succeed. I will not however guarantee a 100% hit rate, as that goes back to me using dice in the first place to try and make it feel fair and consistent.
  • Level 1 is the start for keybearers. Level 3 is the max starting level for non-keybearers. The max level of the rp will probably be 20, but no one gets to start there.
  • You do not have to manage HP numbers if you do not want. The enemy will attack. I will trust the player to decide that if the enemy hits them, they will determine how badly they are injured. The HP pool is less a number for you to keep track of, and more a reminder of how squishy your character is, so you the player have an idea of what they should be able to endure. Should individual players prefer to know the number because they struggle with determining what a good hit is, I will one on one tell them the damage their character takes. I do not anticipate this being a common occurrence.

That's understandable, and I'm sorry that this is so conflicting! I would not want you to put yourself through something that is just an exercise in discomfort, I hope these answers help one way or another.
  • Yes, dice rolling will be implemented into the roleplay.
  • It's less I'm rolling for the player character, and more I'm rolling for how well or poorly the enemy evades you. But yes, I figured that was the best way to avoid having to crunch damage numbers.
  • Dice rolls will only be for combat as of right now. I do not anticipate a need for it in any other circumstance.
  • The dice roll is random. What I as GM do to weight the roll is not. Since we're not doing standard, traditional proficiencies, you won't have a number you can add to it. But if a character has narrative reason to excel at something, I'm going to make it easier for that character to succeed. I will not however guarantee a 100% hit rate, as that goes back to me using dice in the first place to try and make it feel fair and consistent.
  • Level 1 is the start for keybearers. Level 3 is the max starting level for non-keybearers. The max level of the rp will probably be 20, but no one gets to start there.
  • You do not have to manage HP numbers if you do not want. The enemy will attack. I will trust the player to decide that if the enemy hits them, they will determine how badly they are injured. The HP pool is less a number for you to keep track of, and more a reminder of how squishy your character is, so you the player have an idea of what they should be able to endure. Should individual players prefer to know the number because they struggle with determining what a good hit is, I will one on one tell them the damage their character takes. I do not anticipate this being a common occurrence.
Ah, thank you!
This clears up a lot more than you can imagine. I know it might've required a bit more conversing than what should've been necessary but these answers (as blunt as they are) really have helped out a lot.

While I am still having my doubts and conflicting thoughts about all this, the fact that the dice rolls will be focused mainly around combat and the GM will be the one mostly be the one in control of decision-making, I think I can tolerate it a bit more. Like I said, while I still have some conflicting thoughts and doubts about this, I think I'll stick around and make a CS. If anything comes up that changes my decision later on into the roleplay, I'll be sure to let y'all know that this isn't for me. I'll make sure that if I do leave.. where I leave my character off won't interfere with the rest of the roleplay ofc.

Ah, thank you!
This clears up a lot more than you can imagine. I know it might've required a bit more conversing than what should've been necessary but these answers (as blunt as they are) really have helped out a lot.

While I am still having my doubts and conflicting thoughts about all this, the fact that the dice rolls will be focused mainly around combat and the GM will be the one mostly be the one in control of decision-making, I think I can tolerate it a bit more. Like I said, while I still have some conflicting thoughts and doubts about this, I think I'll stick around and make a CS. If anything comes up that changes my decision later on into the roleplay, I'll be sure to let y'all know that this isn't for me. I'll make sure that if I do leave.. where I leave my character off won't interfere with the rest of the roleplay ofc.
You're welcome! I'm glad it cleared somethings up
I'm sorry for the bluntness! I was trying to be direct and clear in the answers, so there wasn't any confusion. Especially since my uncertainty is partially what landed us here

Absolutely, you are free to back out at any time. No one would expect you to stay doing something you're uncomfortable with
And as we actually get into the play of it all, I'm going to work on adapting the systems to work the best for our players and how people like to write
All of this is conceptual right now, which is partly why I've been so uncertain
But once we get into our first few scrapes, I will have a better idea on what feels good for everyone
and while I don't intend for what I've said to change, if it does it'll be with the intention to benefit my players

Wait so dice or DND will be implemented? I've never done dice rolling but I'm willing to try.

You're welcome! I'm glad it cleared somethings up
I'm sorry for the bluntness! I was trying to be direct and clear in the answers, so there wasn't any confusion. Especially since my uncertainty is partially what landed us here

Absolutely, you are free to back out at any time. No one would expect you to stay doing something you're uncomfortable with
And as we actually get into the play of it all, I'm going to work on adapting the systems to work the best for our players and how people like to write
All of this is conceptual right now, which is partly why I've been so uncertain
But once we get into our first few scrapes, I will have a better idea on what feels good for everyone
and while I don't intend for what I've said to change, if it does it'll be with the intention to benefit my players
Alrighty, well..now that...that part is out of way. I have a different question, one more about plotting.

Since my character will be a Nobody, would their "homeworld" be where their Somebody is? Or would it be where they suddenly awakened when they were created?

Wait so dice or DND will be implemented? I've never done dice rolling but I'm willing to try.
dice will be very minimally implemented
it's mostly something for me to use during combat so that the party doesn't auto-hit on enemies
a player will narrate attacking an enemy,
i'll roll a dice to decide if the enemy is able to dodge or not, and if not how critically does it fail

players don't have to worry about rolling dice,
and i'm not even going to roll dice to see if the enemy hits you, as i trust my players to want to engage with combat in a way that they'll make good decisions about when they take damage or not
however if a player feels uncertain about combat and wants me to behind the scenes tell them if an enemy hits them and for how much points, i am happy to do that for them

Alrighty, well..now that...that part is out of way. I have a different question, one more about plotting.

Since my character will be a Nobody, would their "homeworld" be where their Somebody is? Or would it be where they suddenly awakened when they were created?
up to you! my nobody character lists her homeworld as her somebody's homeworld, but that's personal preference
since your nobody is going to have some memory issues you can pick either the somebody's homeworld, where the nobody woke up
or even where the nobody considers home
if they've been kicking it in twilight town for a while or something, that can be their homeworld
where ever that nobody feels they are from works for me!

dice will be very minimally implemented
it's mostly something for me to use during combat so that the party doesn't auto-hit on enemies
a player will narrate attacking an enemy,
i'll roll a dice to decide if the enemy is able to dodge or not, and if not how critically does it fail

players don't have to worry about rolling dice,
and i'm not even going to roll dice to see if the enemy hits you, as i trust my players to want to engage with combat in a way that they'll make good decisions about when they take damage or not
however if a player feels uncertain about combat and wants me to behind the scenes tell them if an enemy hits them and for how much points, i am happy to do that for them

up to you! my nobody character lists her homeworld as her somebody's homeworld, but that's personal preference
since your nobody is going to have some memory issues you can pick either the somebody's homeworld, where the nobody woke up
or even where the nobody considers home
if they've been kicking it in twilight town for a while or something, that can be their homeworld
where ever that nobody feels they are from works for me!
Oh that makes sense. That would definitely help since I'm not great with combat.

Oh that makes sense. That would definitely help since I'm not great with combat.
totally! i am 100% happy to help in combat for those who don't feel very confident in it
when combat arises we can totally have a system in place where i'm more transparent with you and give you more rigid numbers if that'll help you, instead of leaving it to narrative decisions

pookie pookie two questions:
1- Iโ€™m gonna have some secondary weapons/gear, one of which is a shield/barrier gauntlet that helps with tanking and surviving hits needed for Blue Mage tricks. This okay?
2- The Realm of Darkness appears to affect the flow of time for those within it when compared to the Realm of Light in some games. Is that something you are keeping for this rp?

Hey yโ€™all! Iโ€™m sure some of you didnโ€™t realize yet, or missed this part of the info. But just a reminder that we canโ€™t use AI for our FCs. IMG_2371.jpeg

I definitely understand if yโ€™all didnโ€™t know, since AI art has been flooding the homepages of Pinterest so it got mixed up with art by real artists. I can help yโ€™all choose alternatives with the same hair/eye color you have in mind that have sources to artists ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back