• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy {OOC} An Adventure of Cowards

Do you want to use Discord for OOC discussions and lore debating alongside this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
Forest of Umbrä 47f0c5c60b1287d9c48a9c7870c59f83.jpg
This part of Kirlia's northeastern region is ruled by Baron Khomorith on paper but practically the forest and the surrounding areas are no man's lands, mainly because it's useless in both economic (except the wood) and strategic fields. In the past decades and century much tried to gain control over the forest but firstly it wasn't worth the energy and secondly, similar to the local belief, the Forest of Ubrä seemed to have a mind of its own. The pine forest were growing and expanding further with each year, looming over the few small villages in the area with a silent threat.
c226913d76ee25e581535583f215df44.jpg
The village Jack'aal was born in, called Rešava is just like the other five villages. The Ubrä started to surround and take over the old wooden buildings slowly. The population of the villages can be diverse but the villagers are usually humans, elves and halflings. The villagers are withdrawn, tough and hostile against everything or everyone new. They are skilled hunters and move with experienced grace within the woods, hunting for their daily meal.

However, being superstitious they don't dare to delve to deeply into the forest. To be fair they have no reason; the deeper parts of the Forest of Umbrä are lacking of rich wildlife since the vegetation gets thicker, blocking the beams of the sun to peek in and light the long forgotten ruins and whatever lurks under those silent trees.

(Tell me what you think, I'm open for discussion if this location would ruin your plans of your own location or just the overall picture of Kirlia.)

I'm loving all of the world building! I must get onto writing my little village. Though, I do not think I'll be able to write such thorough politics in it. orz

Regarding how all of the characters will meet, I believe it now may be a little more difficult to have characters start off in different locations and group off into smaller clusters that way, as we now have around 14 characters total. I foresee that potentially becoming messy and hard to GM?

I'd suggest that those that want to be grouped, start off as such. Perhaps we could start in a tavern - a hotspot for drinking, exchanging valuable information, teaming up. As someone earlier had suggested a bounty hunter guild - this could be when they first strike. Most characters are more or less running from something, if a bounty hunter were to attack someone, the others may have concerns that the hunter would recognize them, too. They could team up, take the hunter down or whatever. Start a commotion.

Alternatively, they could all just meet over a pleasant mug of mead.

Would a tavern even accept some of these people? Some blend well enough, but others stand out and are definitely not welcome near any civilization.

I'm loving all of the world building! I must get onto writing my little village. Though, I do not think I'll be able to write such thorough politics in it. orz

Regarding how all of the characters will meet, I believe it now may be a little more difficult to have characters start off in different locations and group off into smaller clusters that way, as we now have around 14 characters total. I foresee that potentially becoming messy and hard to GM?

I'd suggest that those that want to be grouped, start off as such. Perhaps we could start in a tavern - a hotspot for drinking, exchanging valuable information, teaming up. As someone earlier had suggested a bounty hunter guild - this could be when they first strike. Most characters are more or less running from something, if a bounty hunter were to attack someone, the others may have concerns that the hunter would recognize them, too. They could team up, take the hunter down or whatever. Start a commotion.

Alternatively, they could all just meet over a pleasant mug of mead.
That is a very fair point, we do have quite a few players now. I'm not sure if _ChickenWithTeeth_ _ChickenWithTeeth_ is looking for Co-GMs or not, but that is an option if this is looking hard to manage. In an open-world-ish setting like this, it may make things even easier.

I'm not very particular on where we meet up as long as we do.

Daylight Fantasy Daylight Fantasy You're still down to group right?

Would a tavern even accept some of these people? Some blend well enough, but others stand out and are definitely not welcome near any civilization.
Haha, that is true. A lowly speak-easy, should I say. My concern is more so finding a way for all of the characters to congegate - the tavern is simply a very easy filler location for these kinds of settings lol.

Just finished my character's backstory, so his CS is officially done.

Haha, that is true. A lowly speak-easy, should I say. My concern is more so finding a way for all of the characters to congegate - the tavern is simply a very easy filler location for these kinds of settings lol.
As someone who used to GM for groups of around 15-20 in the past, one of the biggest continuous obstacles for roleplays like this is keeping everyone relevant to each other... Yes, we're all fugitives, but that's not really something that makes you want to group up and stick together. Not for everyone, at least. Yes, we're all going to be looking for the cradle at some point, but if anything, it'll most likely lead to competing instead.

It's a complex situation, but I did mention a possible workaround in another post (though, vaguely and somewhat messily). If everyone is an outcast, hunted or otherwise, the one thing that's going to likely interest everyone is a free and secret haven. It offers them shelter and a hiding place, for those who are actively in danger. I once did a roleplay somewhat similar to the whole fugitive thing, and what kept everyone together was that a character had decided to turn the group into a bandit clan. They found a hideout in the mountains, which became their base, and though they didn't need to be together at all times, it kept them consistently relevant no matter what they chose to do.

In short, what if a secret community is made or exists, and the current characters are invited to it or overhear about it, grouping all together there. That makes it easier to universally propose the idea of searching for the world's cradle, and regardless of how we might divide later on, we always have our membership in that community keeping us relevant to one another. It could be a benevolent sanctuary, or it could be some self-interested establishment that takes advantage of us in exchange for our basic necessities. Regardless, it serves the same purpose.

Sure, everyone could meet up at a tavern, but the way I see it going is that if someone fails to connect, they're just going to end up leaving eventually... Maybe I just worked with a less mature group of roleplayers before, and this group is more capable of working around something like this? Either way, that's just where my thoughts end up going.

I'm open to discussion on this.

Edit: Also, sorry if I sound a bit imposing, lol. I just get really into the solution-oriented mindset when I think about things. 😅

Last edited:
As someone who used to GM for groups of around 15-20 in the past, one of the biggest continuous obstacles for roleplays like this is keeping everyone relevant to each other... Yes, we're all fugitives, but that's not really something that makes you want to group up and stick together. Not for everyone, at least. Yes, we're all going to be looking for the cradle at some point, but if anything, it'll most likely lead to competing instead.

It's a complex situation, but I did mention a possible workaround in another post (though, vaguely and somewhat messily). If everyone is an outcast, hunted or otherwise, the one thing that's going to likely interest everyone is a free and secret haven. It offers them shelter and a hiding place, for those who are actively in danger. I once did a roleplay somewhat similar to the whole fugitive thing, and what kept everyone together was that a character had decided to turn the group into a bandit clan. They found a hideout in the mountains, which became their base, and though they didn't need to be together at all times, it kept them consistently relevant no matter what they chose to do.

In short, what if a secret community is made or exists, and the current characters are invited to it or overhear about it, grouping all together there. That makes it easier to universally propose the idea of searching for the world's cradle, and regardless of how we might divide later on, we always have our membership in that community keeping us relevant to one another. It could be a benevolent sanctuary, or it could be some self-interested establishment that takes advantage of us in exchange for our basic necessities. Regardless, it serves the same purpose.

Sure, everyone could meet up at a tavern, but the way I see it going is that if someone fails to connect, they're just going to end up leaving eventually... Maybe I just worked with a less mature group of roleplayers before, and this group is more capable of working around something like this? Either way, that's just where my thoughts end up going.

Edit: Also, sorry if I sound a bit imposing, lol. I just get really into the solution-oriented mindset when I think about things. 😅
This works. Historically, many pariahs congregated for the purpose of survival. It would make sense for there to be somewhat of a regional network for trade and shelter among outcasts and fugitives, operating on the fringes of civilization. It can look dubious, but is nonetheless essential and sometimes of higher standards in terms of integrity than "civilized" markets riddled with swindlers and hacks.

Oooh, this is a really wonderful idea.

Also, if anyone is particularly interested in grouping up with Arnou— let me know!

I'm already tracking Daylight Fantasy Daylight Fantasy and myself
On a different note, I thought about it, and I'd be down to group up. That is.. if you'd be down to brainstorm the little details with me of how Aris would become tied into your group, lol.

sorengg sorengg Minzi and Fade both grew up in the Filman slums and are only three years apart 👀 potential for history together?
Rohan Rohan Her and Nadi both pickpocket, interesting... lol they'd either be best friends or worst enemies. _ChickenWithTeeth_ _ChickenWithTeeth_ Ciara too. if Minz ever found out about the horn strapped to her leg she'd be all too excited to make friends. might get her head bucked off in the process, but the payoff of pawning off a real unicorn horn would be worth it 😁

On a different note, I thought about it, and I'd be down to group up. That is.. if you'd be down to brainstorm the little details with me of how Aris would become tied into your group, lol.
For sure! Currently, Arnou is a hired body guard of Ying Ming-Xia, and they're travelling to try and find the cradle together. I read your CS and it seems that your character is in place that is pretty brutal for just the barest of returns in terms of necessities. It could be possible that our characters are passing through and could pitch the idea of the cradle to her. If she has anything she could wish for, supposedly the cradle contains the means to do so. Alternatively, she could just be looking for a better life on the road and getting further away from the people who are looking for her.

Also, gonna make some lore on Darkmire.

That is a very fair point, we do have quite a few players now. I'm not sure if _ChickenWithTeeth_ _ChickenWithTeeth_ is looking for Co-GMs or not, but that is an option if this is looking hard to manage. In an open-world-ish setting like this, it may make things even easier.

I'm not very particular on where we meet up as long as we do.

Daylight Fantasy Daylight Fantasy You're still down to group right?
I have a small idea of how our characters met. Maybe one of our characters were in some sorts of trouble with criminals and helped them. Just a though though 👐

Hi folks! Just finished my character and threw it into the CS thread. I used Homebrewery for it lol, hopefully the jpgs don't throw anyone off, but if so I could toss it into BBCode. I've been reading through the OOC and a lot of really great ideas and lore being tossed around! Looking forward to plotting with you all 🥳

I have a small idea of how our characters met. Maybe one of our characters were in some sorts of trouble with criminals and helped them. Just a though though 👐
That totally works! It could go either way, really. My character is an honorable one, so he would intervene if someone else was being robbed. However, he's also kind of overly reckless these days, so he could totally have thought he could take some bandits and end up needing help to get out of it.

Now, we just have to decide which one haha

That totally works! It could go either way, really. My character is an honorable one, so he would intervene if someone else was being robbed. However, he's also kind of overly reckless these days, so he could totally have thought he could take some bandits and end up needing help to get out of it.

I see opportunity 👀 Ying Ming-Xia encounters bandits/criminals, Arnou steps in to help (though mildly overwhelmed), and Aris, who is passing by, chimes in to level the odds till all is well? Then cradle stuff comes up and then suddenly, we have a party.

Thoughts? Lol

I feel like my character(Ying-Xia) is a bit clueless and has zero idea of the world outside his Sects so he would have a higher chance of being the victim of crime.

Darkmire.jpeg
Darkmire
What is Darkmire?:
Darkmire is a barony in the Kingdom of Braethia ruled by the Illmont Family. Due to it's recent victory in the struggle against Westvale, it has gained substantially more power and territory than it previously had; however, it's still only a moderately powerful barony in the eyes of the King, Lionel Bowstrum.

What kind of Governmental System does Darkmire follow?:

Darkmire, moreover, The Kingdom of Braethia-- follows the idea of feudal peerage where the ranking of nobility is as such (in order of political power)-

1. Dukes
  2. Marquesses
  3. Earls
  4. Viscounts
  5. Barons
  6. Life Peerages (Knights)
Above them, of course, rules the King of Braethia to whom all noblemen and women swear to as their liege lord in one way or another. The King keeps a feudal council comprised of the most powerful vassals (sworn lords under him) in order to run the Kingdom based on the strengths of the lands under their control.

What types of creatures reside in Darkmire?:
Darkmire contains a darkness within its wilds that not even thousands of settlers could quell. Every day, villagers are lost to the monsters lurking beneath the murky waters in the swamps that inhabit much of the region: alligators, giant snakes, swamp krakens (lesser krakens-- weakened by time away from the ocean, capable only of capsizing small fishing vessels), water hags, razor fish (piranha-like creatures), and there is even rumor that if someone is to drown in the water that they come back as a muck-slick corpse hungry to drag the living to join them amongst their watery grave.

What is the terrain in Darkmire?:
Darkmire is a land of swamps and forests of trees held over the tops of water by mazes of tangled roots; outside of what they took from Westvale, hardly any land is good for growing and instead Darkmire relies heavily on imports from outside areas and an active fishing community-- at least those ships brave enough to challenge the Swamps of Darkmire. Gases under the swamp provide a constant, sickly green overcast that suspends the land in a near-perpetual night while the water itself keeps humidity at a choking high. Villages are force to be erected on stands and floating planks as even the grass can hollow underneath-- suddenly giving way to a dark, sudden plunge.

What can you find in Darkmire?:
Darkmire is best known for its seafood due to its popularity among niche dining circles and the fervor by which the locals swear by its gamey, swampy taste. The Swamps of Darkmire-- in their continued unpredictability, are also home to bones sunken beneath the water and buried on the grime; hidden and hardened, these bones have steel-like resistance while being similarly hollowed and light-- perfect for armor on both people and ships.

Villages are superstitious, quiet places filled with those folk who only seek to make their living and then return home-- lanterns and light snuffed before what would be night comes to darken even the eternal black they endure as part of everyday life. Often, new expeditions into the heart of Darkmire yield only temporary holds on the wild that are reduced to ruins seen again only by the wandering fisherman or the most desperate of brigands.

Darkmire Village.png

Who Rules in Darkmire?:

Darkmire has been under the control of the Illmont family for centuries as they are one of its oldest dynasties and The Swamps one of its most timeless endeavors. Originally, the Illmont family was a family of noble merchants who made their wealth as stewards for the Kingdom. However, interest in the swamps seemed to pull them away from their duties to the crown, and after being released from the council much of their previous riches have been poured into developing and exploring the swamps-- keeping whatever they find inside a secret known only to the now-reclusive Illmont nobles.

Relations within The Kingdom:

• Westvale - Hostile
  • House Bowstrum - Neutral

I see opportunity 👀 Ying Ming-Xia encounters bandits/criminals, Arnou steps in to help (though mildly overwhelmed), and Aris, who is passing by, chimes in to level the odds till all is well? Then cradle stuff comes up and then suddenly, we have a party.

Thoughts? Lol
Sometimes things are as easy as right place, right time! Definitely seems like a good wake-up call for Ying-Xia to hire Arnou as a bodyguard while giving Aris the idea of the cradle and a place away from where she is!

there's a lot of good, honest characters in this rp. minz is either making a fortune or getting humbled badly lmao

Minz is a good shake up for this kind of thing, I think. Too many good characters and there isn't much conflict.

there's a lot of good, honest characters in this rp. minz is either making a fortune or getting humbled badly lmao
Either is absolutely amazing for entertainment, lol. I'm admittedly really excited to see Minz in the mix. ✨

I'd have a blast chasing that cat down after she's stolen Aris' Ocarina or some other junk.

Either is absolutely amazing for entertainment, lol. I'm admittedly really excited to see Minz in the mix. ✨

I'd have a blast chasing that cat down after she's stolen Aris' Ocarina or some other junk.
i'm excited to see Aris too! now that you mention it, a specially made sword with onyx cross guard could fetch quite a sum...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back