• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy {OOC} An Adventure of Cowards

Do you want to use Discord for OOC discussions and lore debating alongside this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
Sure, that could work! I purposely left the location of Ermingild a bit nebulous and only really gave a timeline for the sake of prefacing the tale of the crusade. Nurites also have a rather strong fear of putrid undead monsters, which is why most clerics and crusader officers carry a vial of holy water—to scald zombies.
Awesome, I’ll once over that lore again, and get back to you with more specific ideas. I’m down to incorporate that into Darkmire!

Awesome, I’ll once over that lore again, and get back to you with more specific ideas. I’m down to incorporate that into Darkmire!
While you're doing that, I'll start writing a second draft of Sheraga's backstory.

While you're doing that, I'll start writing a second draft of Sheraga's backstory.
Okay, I read up on it, and it’s for sure something I feel like could work! I was intending on having it be a bit more of a mystery as to what’s inside the swamp, but for the sake of collaboration I’m so down to have the crusaders already have taken the ruins— only to find some things missing.

Although, you did say second draft, so what are you thinking there?

There are ups and downs to both systems, but I think avoiding the cluster of having the entire group together would be beneficial. However, if we could find a reason to stay in a semi-common location, or a reason to come back to a single place that would be great. I’ve noticed talks of guilds and whatnot here— I think someone said it before, but it might be a good idea to have us all affiliated with a centralized group that could keep us all relevant to each other.

Also, us being a part of the same group— assuming we have a hideout or hangout, could give us a central location to return to for grouping switch-ups and to exchange information or skills. Essentially, it would be our fire link shrine for those who have played Dark Souls.
Yes! That’s exactly where my thoughts are with the guild idea. We’re not obligated to be all in one single group (as that would be chaotic and people have a point with that).

However, to keep things still free and fluid in terms of grouping, having that central community or affiliation to go back to would keep us all related to some extent, even if it’s minimal.

One of the things I want to avoid is characters being incapable of grouping/interacting because of differences in backstory/interests. I already have a hard time with Aris because her personality and backstory prevents much social interaction, so the chances of her making herself relevant to someone is already incredibly slim.

She’s lucky enough to get tied up with Arnou and Ming-Xia through chance encounters.

Another thing is that conflict doesn’t always unite, so…

Okay, I read up on it, and it’s for sure something I feel like could work! I was intending on having it be a bit more of a mystery as to what’s inside the swamp, but for the sake of collaboration I’m so down to have the crusaders already have taken the ruins— only to find some things missing.

Although, you did say second draft, so what are you thinking there?
It's best I simply show what I have so far. Have a look.
Nestled in many regions are religious communities whose tenets of faith revolve around "purity"—that is, cleanliness and physical health. Worshipping Nur, the cleansing flame, they believe fire is the means by which all corruption and filth can be remedied. Their practices revolving around fire—such as boiling and cremation—kept their populations mostly intact; plagues throughout history barely affected them.

Long ago, coastal flooding quickly caused wetlands to form in the region around the ancient holy city of Ermingild. The immaculate pilgrimage site slowly became a hell as monsters, disease, and curses started to ravage the population. Those who were not afflicted sought refuge elsewhere, leaving the city to be claimed by the encroaching darkness.

Recent rapid growth in their followers' numbers emboldened the Nurite clergy. With the blessing of authorities in present-day Braethia, leaders of the faith sent word to each temple to gather volunteers for a mighty crusade. One such volunteer was Sheraga, a young guard lieutenant renowned for his tenacity, size, and strength. Over the course of the four-year campaign, the army pushed deeper into Darkmire. The swamps became the grave of many crusaders as their risen comrades and incomprehensible horrors decimated their ranks. However, the worst was yet to come.

Victory was woefully out of reach. The few remaining crusaders may have raised the banner of Nur atop the ruined cathedral, but their city was uninhabitable. Still more warriors succumbed to disease and that which stalked the murk. They were forced to retreat; only ten percent of the army escaped with their lives.

Three months later, Captain Sheraga began to exhibit strange rashes and lesions. Out of everyone, he was the first to show signs of leprosy. It was not enough that the clerics drag him away from his betrothed; he also came under scrutiny from the Inquisition. To them, leprosy and skin conditions were the mark of evil, outward signs of an unclean soul. Had their roaring paragon succumbed to the darkness?

More months passed. Frustrated that none of Sheraga's men, friends, and associates confirmed her suspicions, the Inquisitor petitioned her preceptors for an unusual solution for a complex problem. He and the fourteen other new lepers were spared the burning stake and granted safe exit. In exchange, these fifteen condemned souls were to undertake a pilgrimage to the Cradle of Life, in hopes they would bring back some means of cleansing Darkmire of its seemingly necromantic curse. They were to split up and travel the world, each pilgrim bearing a scroll with their orders and an enchanted mace. Their red and white surcoats were replaced with intense yellows—a warning to all passersby: "We are the unclean. Approach at your own risk."

While this fool's journey has bolstered the faith of some, others found theirs waning. Sheraga is among the latter; he doesn't care about any doctrine or superstition anymore. He simply wishes for a cure for himself and the other pilgrims, some of whom blame him for their infections and have sworn vengeance.

Yes! That’s exactly where my thoughts are with the guild idea. We’re not obligated to be all in one single group (as that would be chaotic and people have a point with that).

However, to keep things still free and fluid in terms of grouping, having that central community or affiliation to go back to would keep us all related to some extent, even if it’s minimal.

One of the things I want to avoid is characters being incapable of grouping/interacting because of differences in backstory/interests. I already have a hard time with Aris because her personality and backstory prevents much social interaction, so the chances of her making herself relevant to someone is already incredibly slim.

She’s lucky enough to get tied up with Arnou and Ming-Xia through chance encounters.

Another thing is that conflict doesn’t always unite, so…

That last bit is a fact I know too well, unfortunately. I see your point; a more fluid organization would keep their connections to one another loose enough to not force two characters who dislike each other to be joined at the hip, yet still reap the benefits of each other's abilities, keep them relevant in the grand scheme of things, and not bar them from any interactions.

There are ups and downs to both systems, but I think avoiding the cluster of having the entire group together would be beneficial. However, if we could find a reason to stay in a semi-common location, or a reason to come back to a single place that would be great. I’ve noticed talks of guilds and whatnot here— I think someone said it before, but it might be a good idea to have us all affiliated with a centralized group that could keep us all relevant to each other.

Also, us being a part of the same group— assuming we have a hideout or hangout, could give us a central location to return to for grouping switch-ups and to exchange information or skills. Essentially, it would be our fire link shrine for those who have played Dark Souls.
Yes! Love the idea of a central hideout where we can link up and swap out groups. Not to bring everything back to my guild concept lol, but that’s kind of what I had in mind for the Order of Seeker’s sanctuaries. Run-down temples or waystations where all these crestfallen Seekers chill, just sick of running around chasing relics so they sell goods instead. In my mind’s eye, it’s just Majuju from Dark Souls 2. So cozy 🥰
IMG_0441.jpeg

Yes! Love the idea of a central hideout where we can link up and swap out groups. Not to bring everything back to my guild concept lol, but that’s kind of what I had in mind for the Order of Seeker’s sanctuaries. Run-down temples or waystations where all these crestfallen Seekers chill, just sick of running around chasing relics so they sell goods instead. In my mind’s eye, it’s just Majuju from Dark Souls 2. So cozy 🥰
View attachment 1152781
OH GAWD, I've been replaying DS2 yet again lately. I remember leaving the game up while studying and drawing in college; the Majula theme and faint roar of the ocean made it easier to focus and create.

View attachment 1152781
I like it! Here’s a bit of a test to see if the idea holds water, though.

My character hasn’t exactly decided that chasing myths is what she wants right now. Though, she is a fugitive and wants a better life. What can the Order offer her that would get her to join or ally with them? Do they offer lodging/provisions to outcasts? Do they have a way of giving her work?

Even if it’s not all worked out atm, I’m here and down to brainstorm/workshop with you because I think your idea has the most potential right now. Keep me posted. ✨

OH GAWD, I've been replaying DS2 yet again lately. I remember leaving the game up while studying and drawing in college; the Majula theme and faint roar of the ocean made it easier to focus and create.
DS2 gets too much flak imo, but then again maybe I have rose-tinted glasses because it was the first Souls game I played. Time to revisit it! Definitely on of my favorite world hubs, Elden Ring and DS3 really fall short of Majula for me.

Oh, to be a crestfallen knight sitting at a statue on the coast as the sun perpetually sets….

I like it! Here’s a bit of a test to see if the idea holds water, though.

My character hasn’t exactly decided that chasing myths is what she wants right now. Though, she is a fugitive and wants a better life. What can the Order offer her that would get her to join or ally with them? Do they offer lodging/provisions to outcasts? Do they have a way of giving her work?

Even if it’s not all worked out atm, I’m here and down to brainstorm/workshop with you because I think your idea has the most potential right now. Keep me posted. ✨
Good questions! Obviously I’m open to any suggestions since I’m making this all up lol.

Concerning why people would join, I’d imagine those motivations would pretty much run the gamut. A lot of people would join just because they desperately want to find the Cradle to reverse their fortunes. Others might be chasing more arcane and forbidden knowledge, and the Order doesn’t really put any limits on these topics like a mage’s guild might, so it can be a handy networking community or offer some decent resources in that department. Then there’s just the total rejects who are otherwise unemployable because of their criminal record or whatever; they’re just cynically using the Seekers to make some cash. Seekers will hire others as help to find items, so your character could be one of those.

I’d imagine the Order itself is semi-clandestine given that many of its members are known criminals, so they maintain safe houses in most regions, allowing your character to rest without fear of bounty hunters or the law coming down on them. It’s very decentralized though, probably not much of a leadership organization beyond each sanctuary having a de-facto leader in charge of making sure Seekers don’t kill eachother lol.

Good questions! Obviously I’m open to any suggestions since I’m making this all up lol.

Concerning why people would join, I’d imagine those motivations would pretty much run the gamut. A lot of people would join just because they desperately want to find the Cradle to reverse their fortunes. Others might be chasing more arcane and forbidden knowledge, and the Order doesn’t really put any limits on these topics like a mage’s guild might, so it can be a handy networking community or offer some decent resources in that department. Then there’s just the total rejects who are otherwise unemployable because of their criminal record or whatever; they’re just cynically using the Seekers to make some cash. Seekers will hire others as help to find items, so your character could be one of those.

I’d imagine the Order itself is semi-clandestine given that many of its members are known criminals, so they maintain safe houses in most regions, allowing your character to rest without fear of bounty hunters or the law coming down on them. It’s very decentralized though, probably not much of a leadership organization beyond each sanctuary having a de-facto leader in charge of making sure Seekers don’t kill eachother lol.
Awesome. That sounds perfect to me. To make things easier for introducing the order to other characters, I could say Aris joined them after she left Iyesgarth (instead of secret fight club). Lmk if that’s fine.

If you’re down to collaborate, would you mind if I DMed you and helped flesh it out? It would be tons of fun to get to work on it with you. :)

If not, I’ll be looking forward to when you throw out a post with the official, in-depth details of the order.

I know it’s not set in stone until it all receives full approval but it it’s always great to have it all in anyway, lol.

DS2 gets too much flak imo, but then again maybe I have rose-tinted glasses because it was the first Souls game I played. Time to revisit it! Definitely on of my favorite world hubs, Elden Ring and DS3 really fall short of Majula for me.

Oh, to be a crestfallen knight sitting at a statue on the coast as the sun perpetually sets….
You don't, if you ask me. It's the black sheep to the wider community, but I prefer it over 3. It pioneered a lot of QoL features and had a more focused story that left room for more headcanons and overall player imagination. Even Miyazaki admitted it got too much flak in a recent interview.

DS2 is what rekindled my waning interest in storytelling and got me into DnD and Pathfinder 1e, which then led me to forum roleplay. My first Pathfinder character, an inquisitor, was an adaptation of my first DS2 character, a spear-wielding cleric.

Last edited:
Majula has a special place in my heart as well, and I think that firelink and majula have similar vibes, but different vistas to look out from. Either way, I'm on board with the ruins and whatnot, and to an extent the Order of Seekers. However, I think it would be cool to have a bit more monkish types involved to keep things a more fluid connection as some have suggested. I'm not sure a centralized power is what many of them are looking to follow or need right now, so I think people who are providing a bit of judgeless sanctuary with little alcoves across the world would be good! I think drawing on the "asylum for wanderers" aspect of Firelink of Majula would be a good guiding light instead of trying to unite everyone under a guild's specific purpose.

Perhaps, a sect of The Order latched more onto its idea of protecting the world and so they're more altruistic monks giving food and refuge to the otherwise undesirable of the world; then, there could be another sect of The Order that is more focused on its mission of destroying magical artifacts if some players want to become more fanatic-- a kind of ideological split in the organization between a hatred and fear of magic and the goal of helping people.

Essentially, I feel soft guidance, food/shelter, and a lack of judgement is plenty to attract a lot of these characters. With most of them being lost or fugitives, it would be clear to see how many of these people could come together as well. This also just expands on already existing aspects of the world, so there's no need to lock these characters into this lifestyle. They can take advantage of a place to be and food while still working with other outside organizations. In the end, nobody knows where the cradle is, so it could be as simple as having interested parties fall in with other groups while they deal with other stuff in the world.

I can already see a future where Sheraga and Arnou have to return to Braethia and perhaps Darkmire, and with the secrets of the swamps being so hidden-- it could be possible that a person in search of the Cradle could want to tag along just to see if it could possibly be in there, perfection defended by the darkest corruption.

It's best I simply show what I have so far. Have a look.
Nestled in many regions are religious communities whose tenets of faith revolve around "purity"—that is, cleanliness and physical health. Worshipping Nur, the cleansing flame, they believe fire is the means by which all corruption and filth can be remedied. Their practices revolving around fire—such as boiling and cremation—kept their populations mostly intact; plagues throughout history barely affected them.

Long ago, coastal flooding quickly caused wetlands to form in the region around the ancient holy city of Ermingild. The immaculate pilgrimage site slowly became a hell as monsters, disease, and curses started to ravage the population. Those who were not afflicted sought refuge elsewhere, leaving the city to be claimed by the encroaching darkness.

Recent rapid growth in their followers' numbers emboldened the Nurite clergy. With the blessing of authorities in present-day Braethia, leaders of the faith sent word to each temple to gather volunteers for a mighty crusade. One such volunteer was Sheraga, a young guard lieutenant renowned for his tenacity, size, and strength. Over the course of the four-year campaign, the army pushed deeper into Darkmire. The swamps became the grave of many crusaders as their risen comrades and incomprehensible horrors decimated their ranks. However, the worst was yet to come.

Victory was woefully out of reach. The few remaining crusaders may have raised the banner of Nur atop the ruined cathedral, but their city was uninhabitable. Still more warriors succumbed to disease and that which stalked the murk. They were forced to retreat; only ten percent of the army escaped with their lives.

Three months later, Captain Sheraga began to exhibit strange rashes and lesions. Out of everyone, he was the first to show signs of leprosy. It was not enough that the clerics drag him away from his betrothed; he also came under scrutiny from the Inquisition. To them, leprosy and skin conditions were the mark of evil, outward signs of an unclean soul. Had their roaring paragon succumbed to the darkness?

More months passed. Frustrated that none of Sheraga's men, friends, and associates confirmed her suspicions, the Inquisitor petitioned her preceptors for an unusual solution for a complex problem. He and the fourteen other new lepers were spared the burning stake and granted safe exit. In exchange, these fifteen condemned souls were to undertake a pilgrimage to the Cradle of Life, in hopes they would bring back some means of cleansing Darkmire of its seemingly necromantic curse. They were to split up and travel the world, each pilgrim bearing a scroll with their orders and an enchanted mace. Their red and white surcoats were replaced with intense yellows—a warning to all passersby: "We are the unclean. Approach at your own risk."

While this fool's journey has bolstered the faith of some, others found theirs waning. Sheraga is among the latter; he doesn't care about any doctrine or superstition anymore. He simply wishes for a cure for himself and the other pilgrims, some of whom blame him for their infections and have sworn vengeance.
I love the despair! I'd be so down for this! It also gives reason to maybe go back at one point to identify the source of the corruption or something like that. They know what's in there, but they haven't had the opportunity to fully explore it!

Majula has a special place in my heart as well, and I think that firelink and majula have similar vibes, but different vistas to look out from. Either way, I'm on board with the ruins and whatnot, and to an extent the Order of Seekers. However, I think it would be cool to have a bit more monkish types involved to keep things a more fluid connection as some have suggested. I'm not sure a centralized power is what many of them are looking to follow or need right now, so I think people who are providing a bit of judgeless sanctuary with little alcoves across the world would be good! I think drawing on the "asylum for wanderers" aspect of Firelink of Majula would be a good guiding light instead of trying to unite everyone under a guild's specific purpose.

Perhaps, a sect of The Order latched more onto its idea of protecting the world and so they're more altruistic monks giving food and refuge to the otherwise undesirable of the world; then, there could be another sect of The Order that is more focused on its mission of destroying magical artifacts if some players want to become more fanatic-- a kind of ideological split in the organization between a hatred and fear of magic and the goal of helping people.

Essentially, I feel soft guidance, food/shelter, and a lack of judgement is plenty to attract a lot of these characters. With most of them being lost or fugitives, it would be clear to see how many of these people could come together as well. This also just expands on already existing aspects of the world, so there's no need to lock these characters into this lifestyle. They can take advantage of a place to be and food while still working with other outside organizations. In the end, nobody knows where the cradle is, so it could be as simple as having interested parties fall in with other groups while they deal with other stuff in the world.

I can already see a future where Sheraga and Arnou have to return to Braethia and perhaps Darkmire, and with the secrets of the swamps being so hidden-- it could be possible that a person in search of the Cradle could want to tag along just to see if it could possibly be in there, perfection defended by the darkest corruption.

I love the despair! I'd be so down for this! It also gives reason to maybe go back at one point to identify the source of the corruption or something like that. They know what's in there, but they haven't had the opportunity to fully explore it!
Though that wasn't what it was in the past, based on what I've read, that seems like what the order has become now (though, less like a monastery and more like a self-serve mercenary/treasure hunter network). People come and go based on satisfying their own needs and pursuits, and for the convenience of the roleplay, our characters are welcome to come and connect with the ruined Order in order to provide for ourselves, link together, and share information. Do correct me if I'm wrong, though.

It certainly feels like something that can be taken advantage of without much obligation in return (though, if that changes, it does make for some interesting side-quests). Those are my thoughts, at least. 🤔

Though that wasn't what it was in the past, based on what I've read, that seems like what the order has become now (though, less like a monastery and more like a self-serve mercenary/treasure hunter network). People come and go based on satisfying their own needs and pursuits, and for the convenience of the roleplay, our characters are welcome to come and connect with the ruined Order in order to provide for ourselves, link together, and share information. Do correct me if I'm wrong, though.

It certainly feels like something that can be taken advantage of without much obligation in return (though, if that changes, it does make for some interesting side-quests). Those are my thoughts, at least. 🤔
Nah, I can see where you're coming from.

Sorry folks for being passive, I've had stuff to attend to but now let me to re-join to the conversation and share my thought about the two main themes of the last messages; the idea of our characters forming a guild and that heinous claim that Dark Souls 3 isn't the best in the series.
Let me start with the most important haha
That depressing reluctance of DS3's world, the fact your biggest enemies, the Lords of Cinder don't want to link the fire again because it hurt that much or they simply can't(?), think about it: Yorm the Giant is just sitting there, alone in his throne room, with the weapon can defeat him at his feet, waiting for you to defeat him... I don't know this apathetic world really speaks to me:closed eyes open smile:

Now about the guild-forming...firstly I thought that is a bad idea but then I had to realize you're right; it's impossible to do the simple travelling adventure with 14 characters. So I'm on your side, however I would prefer to create this guild gradually. This is more like a preference than an idea since I didn't find an interesting way how to get together all of hour characters but basically, firstly we form pairs/small groups, secondly these groups are coming together by an event, thirdly once our characters have the intention and emotional bound for it, we form our guild...
I hope I don't have to say but tell me what you think!

Sorry folks for being passive, I've had stuff to attend to but now let me to re-join to the conversation and share my thought about the two main themes of the last messages; the idea of our characters forming a guild and that heinous claim that Dark Souls 3 isn't the best in the series.
That depressing reluctance of DS3's world, the fact your biggest enemies, the Lords of Cinder don't want to link the fire again because it hurt that much or they simply can't(?), think about it: Yorm the Giant is just sitting there, alone in his throne room, with the weapon can defeat him at his feet, waiting for you to defeat him... I don't know this apathetic world really speaks to me:closed eyes open smile:

Now about the guild-forming...firstly I thought that is a bad idea but then I had to realize you're right; it's impossible to do the simple travelling adventure with 14 characters. So I'm on your side, however I would prefer to create this guild gradually. This is more like a preference than an idea since I didn't find an interesting way how to get together all of hour characters but basically, firstly we form pairs/small groups, secondly these groups are coming together by an event, thirdly once our characters have the intention and emotional bound for it, we form our guild...
Hey,

All good! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm glad we've got another perspective chiming in just to make sure we go about this in the best way that we can. The gradual guild-forming through the networking of the characters was what I had originally thought... though, my thought process ran into an issue. What if the individual groups just never find it in them to click? Call me pessimistic, but something tells me it's likely that most characters will just brush past each other and never find it worthwhile to even remember each other, which I don't want since I look forward to connecting with everyone at least once in the roleplay.

Thus.. I'm leaning more toward finding something already established that will serve as a factor or motivator for the characters to interact/network (though, maybe something more run-down, young, or empty so that they can make it their own?). I do want the intimacy and personalization of something that is created by our own characters but I'm not sure if I can count on that working out, if that makes sense.

It could happen. I've got no clue, at the end of the day. This is just my caution and desire to be prepared coming out.

Hey,

All good! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm glad we've got another perspective chiming in just to make sure we go about this in the best way that we can. The gradual guild-forming through the networking of the characters was what I had originally thought... though, my thought process ran into an issue. What if the individual groups just never find it in them to click? Call me pessimistic, but something tells me it's likely that most characters will just brush past each other and never find it worthwhile to even remember each other, which I don't want since I look forward to connecting with everyone at least once in the roleplay.

Thus.. I'm leaning more toward finding something already established that will serve as a factor or motivator for the characters to interact/network (though, maybe something more run-down, young, or empty so that they can make it their own?). I do want the intimacy and personalization of something that is created by our own characters but I'm not sure if I can count on that working out, if that makes sense.

It could happen. I've got no clue, at the end of the day. This is just my caution and desire to be prepared coming out.
I think you've managed to capture what I was trying to say before a bit better than I did. I think that something very ruined-- there enough to bring us together, would be perfect to let us grow into our own. I was trying to be accommodating to The Order of Seekers idea, but I think it came off a bit wrong.

I think you've managed to capture what I was trying to say before a bit better than I did. I think that something very ruined-- there enough to bring us together, would be perfect to let us grow into our own. I was trying to be accommodating to The Order of Seekers idea, but I think it came off a bit wrong.
Yeah, I think I'm on the same page as you. I think a lot of us are, it's just a matter of making it concrete and tangible so that all of what we're suggesting is put into a bigger picture. My hope is that whatever guild/network the characters join is eventually something defined by them, if that makes sense. Something that is their own.

It's hard to build that from scratch, but maybe if we find ourselves a fixer-upper that's right for the group, we can get the best of everything. Hence, workshopping the idea of the Order is where my attention is at.

Awesome. That sounds perfect to me. To make things easier for introducing the order to other characters, I could say Aris joined them after she left Iyesgarth (instead of secret fight club). Lmk if that’s fine.

If you’re down to collaborate, would you mind if I DMed you and helped flesh it out? It would be tons of fun to get to work on it with you. :)

If not, I’ll be looking forward to when you throw out a post with the official, in-depth details of the order.

I know it’s not set in stone until it all receives full approval but it it’s always great to have it all in anyway, lol.
Absolutely! Shoot me a DM and we can figure something out.

My intent with the Seekers is definitely not to have a centralized power; each little sanctuary could be totally different from the next, which could provide some fun for us. One could ostensibly still be totally devoted to the cause, while another is basically just a glorified thieves guild lol. The "leader" of each sanctuary would basically just be tasked with managing the safehouse, but in my mind they wouldn't be like assigning quests or anything. I'm trying to think of a real-life comparison, and the best I can come up with is like an 1800's adventure society, where members go to network and stuff but they don't have any actual responsibilities. BlueXBlood captured that idea well; bascially no real obligations within the organization. I'd like to steal a play out of sorengg's book, where maybe to become a member, you just have to do like a mission for free, maybe bring a magical item to the Order; a way for the sanctuaries to make some money and keep running. Could be a good lvl 1 quest lol.

I do like the idea of there being some remnant of the old guard of the Order, and since this is a fantasy setting, we could definitely have like some elves or other long-lived species who still cling to the old ways and are more altruistic, willing to take in wayward souls and all that!

Oh I love DS3, especially the themes you described! It all feels so tired and lovely. RIP Yorm 😪

So my intent wasn't to have us form a guild, but join an existing one that's just real run-down, but it could be fun to have them find a semi-abandoned sanctuary and kind of work to build it up; however, I agree with BlueXBlood that this kind of forward-thinking benevolence might play against a lot of our character's personalities. We could certainly do both! Some people are interested in reviving the old Order, or making it something new and noble, while others just want to exploit its resources for their own purposes.

ALSO LET IT BE KNOWN we don't have to do the Seekers, literally just a concept I came up with in an hour lol. I'm certainly not married to it, and all the stuff I'm coming up with is totally off the cuff. Just trying to come up with something that can accommodate the wide range of characters we've got here!

Hey,

I see your point and it's more like a realistic than a pessimistic view. Our characters are loners, introverted individuals, some without any motivation such as Jac'aal I might add. Also it may be my interpretation but the Cradle is an unspeakable, undefinable...something? Personally and I hope I grasped the main point of the Cradle, noboy knows what is that actually - this makes finding a motivation or a linear storyline harder.
However because of the same reason, these characters need a detailed reason/a prequel to join to an organization if that makes sense. I don't mind if we decide to write these prequels in private and post it to the 'Lore' page or do it together but my main point is that starting the RP off with our characters in an organization undermines (is that a good word for here?:neutralteeth:) the main theme of An Adventure of Cowards.

I see your point and it's more like a realistic than a pessimistic view. Our characters are loners, introverted individuals, some without any motivation such as Jac'aal I might add. Also it may be my interpretation but the Cradle is an unspeakable, undefinable...something? Personally and I hope I grasped the main point of the Cradle, noboy knows what is that actually - this makes finding a motivation or a linear storyline harder.
However because of the same reason, these characters need a detailed reason/a prequel to join to an organization if that makes sense. I don't mind if we decide to write these prequels in private and post it to the 'Lore' page or do it together but my main point is that starting the RP off with our characters in an organization undermines (is that a good world for here?:neutralteeth:) the main theme of An Adventure of Cowards.
I get what you mean. I don't intend to force everyone to start off in the organization against their will, so hopefully that's not a problem. I am actually DMing Corn about how to naturally invite/encourage people toward the "guild" IC. I'm just hoping that the networking takes place before the grand campaign of searching for the cradle, if that makes sense.

Does that address your concern? Sorry if my explanation of things made it sound different than what I intended.

Edit: In short, the prequels were always part of the plan, in my mind. I'm just making a case for the need for a guild/network at some point (and preferably early).

I get what you mean. I don't intend to force everyone to start off in the organization against their will, so hopefully that's not a problem. I am actually DMing Corn about how to naturally invite/encourage people toward the "guild" IC. I'm just hoping that the networking takes place before the grand campaign of searching for the cradle, if that makes sense.

Does that address your concern? Sorry if my explanation of things made it sound different than what I intended.

Edit: In short, the prequels were always part of the plan, in my mind. I'm just making a case for the need for a guild/network at some point (and preferably early).

Um, I mean sure. If I understood you correctly, the networking phase would happen in the 'past' from the main campain's view while I originally wanted it to happen in the present of the RP. But either way is fine really until this coming-together-ness happens and builds up gradually. The concept of the guild could even help in keeping the individuals together...

Um, I mean sure. If I understood you correctly, the networking phase would happen in the 'past' from the main campain's view while I originally wanted it to happen in the present of the RP. But either way is fine really until this coming-together-ness happens and builds up gradually. The concept of the guild could even help in keeping the individuals together...
I might be poor at explaining things... my bad. I do want it to happen in the present of the roleplay too. I figured we were going to have a bit of a prologue phase in the actual roleplay, where we can get settled before officially setting off in search of the cradle (in a serious manner, at least), giving us the chance to meet people and get a sense of direction. That's where I would've encouraged finding/connecting with the guild. That's not something I want to skip over, personally, and I'd prefer to see it written and played out.

Does that make more sense? I do agree with what you're saying, if I'm understanding it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back