• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Octowizard Tournament // plot & chat

I feel like Gavy would also be on the “Bold of you to believed I've reached my peak of dumbass". Not sure where Einar would be.

Honestly, Kasper would be "How dare you assume I have dignity" lol.

The randomized school rotation schedule is now on the first post!

Now that we seem to have a stable number of characters (as in, no current WIP forms and enough to start the RP thread soon), I was thinking about organizing dance cards for the Introductory Ball? Just like a formal, pre-planned schedule of each student character's partner for each song, distributed to them by their schools. Would you guys like to plot among yourselves to figure the dance cards out, or should I put them together? Since a formal event like a ball would probably adopt a rather conservative mindset (especially since some of the cultures at the tourney are more traditional than others), I'd imagine that, realistically speaking, all dance partners would be opposite gender. low key breaks my heart that Kasper won't get a chance to dance with Kaz

Now that we seem to have a stable number of characters (as in, no current WIP forms and enough to start the RP thread soon), I was thinking about organizing dance cards for the Introductory Ball? Just like a formal, pre-planned schedule of each student character's partner for each song, distributed to them by their schools. Would you guys like to plot among yourselves to figure the dance cards out, or should I put them together? Since a formal event like a ball would probably adopt a rather conservative mindset (especially since some of the cultures at the tourney are more traditional than others), I'd imagine that, realistically speaking, all dance partners would be opposite gender. low key breaks my heart that Kasper won't get a chance to dance with Kaz

Yes, I like this idea. As we all know Jae-Hui's family is very traditional, but Korean culture in general is more conservative than western cultures so from that viewpoint this sort of thing makes sense.

Also, I think Jae-Hui is like the only hetero. That would make planning any potential romantic plots a challenge lol.

Gavy can be given a dance card but we all know she won’t stick to it hahaha! She is gonna dance with whoever she wants but that’s just her! I personally love the idea of dance cards tho! 😂😂😂

Kaz is "bold of you to assume i'm straight"
Dakota is "how dare you assume i have dignity"
Lis is "please assume i have dignity"

Sanctuaryforall1 Sanctuaryforall1 I wouldn't say that a masked ball is outside the realm of possibility. How would the rest of y'all feel about one?

irregular-neptune irregular-neptune Love your charries so much!

I'm down with a masked ball!

I Love all of your ideas for our characters! I definitely think that Dakota and Kasper would vibe really well, and working as a support to his kind of defeatist attitude is definitely a role she would slide into immediately, trying to pull him up if he were ever acting negatively. I'm excited to see them get into trouble sneaking around, I think Dakota hasn't had someone as in on her shenanigans as some of the old friends from her group who left her in a while, so it will be fun for her!

I also think that Kasper having a little crush on Kaz is a cute and great idea. I definitely think Kaz would find it flattering, though he is a professor and wouldn't particularly encourage it, he wouldn't like, hurt his feelings or tell him to stop, especially because he doesn't really foresee seeing Kasper again after the tournament and would chalk it up to a little schoolboy crush.

Also if Sanctuaryforall1 Sanctuaryforall1 is cool with it, I definitely think that Kaz and Einar will end up being friends, probably over their shared interest of wizard's chess and also i think that Kaz would deeply respect him and find him interesting!! Which might lend to Kasper being in more close contact with Kaz than he might otherwise.

I also super like the idea of dance cards to get our characters to interact with each other, but I think that Dakota, like Gavy would probably start off with her partner and then mingle and dance with others as the ball went on so she could meet as many of the other students as possible.

I'm honestly having a hard time figuring out how to get Jae-Hui to mesh with any of the others :(. He's quite a bit different personality-wise than most of them.

irregular-neptune irregular-neptune Oh my, Kasper would never be forward about his crush on Kaz! That is a secret he intends to take to the grave. While he is a hopeless romantic and is totally the type to harbor a bunch of casual crushes at once, he's horribly shy, too. When it comes to emotions, he tends not to reveal them unless he's familiar with his company... which occasionally leads to him bottling things up and finally exploding, but that's a whole other story lol.

Jannah Jannah That may be true, but I think a majority of our charries are bisexual! So Jae-Hui isn't completely out of luck lol. As for potential friends, I could see him maybe getting along with Genevieve, Katia, or Lis?

Okay then, if y'all are good with the idea of dance cards, I'll have some put together either tonight or tomorrow night! Just let me know if there are any specific requests for partners on a particular character's card. As for a masked ball... I'm not explicitly saying that it'll happen, but if it does, here's an idea I have regarding it: What if, to continue the masquerade/mysterious theme, all of the competing students wear masks during tournament competitions? That way, if they never reveal their faces, there's a certain degree of anonymity; maybe so that they can go about their educational routine without having to worry about being too distracted by their competitor status, or as a precaution against discrimination from members of the hosting school? What do you guys think of this?

Okay then, if y'all are good with the idea of dance cards, I'll have some put together either tonight or tomorrow night! Just let me know if there are any specific requests for partners on a particular character's card. As for a masked ball... I'm not explicitly saying that it'll happen, but if it does, here's an idea I have regarding it: What if, to continue the masquerade/mysterious theme, all of the competing students wear masks during tournament competitions? That way, if they never reveal their faces, there's a certain degree of anonymity; maybe so that they can go about their educational routine without having to worry about being too distracted by their competitor status, or as a precaution against discrimination from members of the hosting school? What do you guys think of this?

I like the idea of faces being concealed during competition actually. Prevents bias too I think.

Jannah Jannah I feel like Lis and Jae-Hui could easily become friends! They both have a strict parental upbringing and are trying to get away from that (while still kind of clinging to their traditions). I think they could definitely bond over that and over having to live up to their parents expectations and I think Lis would also appreciate Jae-Hui's quietness and not having to commit to small talk.

Aviator Aviator oh no, i didn't mean to insinuate that Kasper would come to Kaz about his crush or anything, lol, just that if Kaz were to ever notice. i also would not be forward about my crush on a professor and would bottle it up to my death lol.

i think the masked competition idea is super cool! will everyone know at least who the competitor could possibly be? (like the pool of champions + their seconds, just nobody knows which of the three it is?)

also, i did not think of this possibility when i wrote that dakota has a fear of masks but honestly. i dig it for that too lol.

Jannah Jannah I feel like Lis and Jae-Hui could easily become friends! They both have a strict parental upbringing and are trying to get away from that (while still kind of clinging to their traditions). I think they could definitely bond over that and over having to live up to their parents expectations and I think Lis would also appreciate Jae-Hui's quietness and not having to commit to small talk.

Ooooooo...we need to make this happen! Which school is he from again?

Edit: accidentally called Lis a she, LOL.

Btw, skimming over his sheet now. I can definitely seem some commonalities. Those pureblood families, haha. Jae-Hui's family of course takes it a step further and engages in incest to keep the line pure.

irregular-neptune irregular-neptune That's a good question... In answer, I'll say that the anonymity induced by the masks could easily be undermined if the competitors' real names were announced, because then any professors or students who have a class with a foreign competitor would be able to match names to faces. Therefore, if we're gonna be really committed to this idea of anonymity, then perhaps all of the competitors should have code names or aliases used just in tournament challenges. That way, the audience and other competitors will be able to distinguish one school's champion from its secondaries without knowing their real identities. How do you guys feel about the idea of code names?

irregular-neptune irregular-neptune That's a good question... In answer, I'll say that the anonymity induced by the masks could easily be undermined if the competitors' real names were announced, because then any professors or students who have a class with a foreign competitor would be able to match names to faces. Therefore, if we're gonna be really committed to this idea of anonymity, then perhaps all of the competitors should have code names or aliases used just in tournament challenges. That way, the audience and other competitors will be able to distinguish one school's champion from its secondaries without knowing their real identities. How do you guys feel about the idea of code names?

This could work. Perhaps part of being selected was one choosing a code name for themselves?

howdy howdy, I'm not sure how I feel about the masked thing? I vibe it for the ball, but idk about the competition. Feels a bit overly complicated, and I would think regardless of the effort, people would still somehow figure out their identity. I know for one that Gen would be analysing everything about her opponents and singling it down until she could match the mask to the person (I mean, it would be pretty easy going off size, posture, hair, skin, strategies, etc). But if everyone is down I don't mind, just feels like in the books/movies part of it all was being put in the spotlight, picked apart and analysing each other to try and figure out your own tactic.

howdy howdy, I'm not sure how I feel about the masked thing? I vibe it for the ball, but idk about the competition. Feels a bit overly complicated, and I would think regardless of the effort, people would still somehow figure out their identity. I know for one that Gen would be analysing everything about her opponents and singling it down until she could match the mask to the person (I mean, it would be pretty easy going off size, posture, hair, skin, strategies, etc). But if everyone is down I don't mind, just feels like in the books/movies part of it all was being put in the spotlight, picked apart and analysing each other to try and figure out your own tactic.

Hmm...this is a very fair point.

artfvlly artfvlly That's an interesting perspective. What I would say is, I don't think the purpose of the masquerade is to make it impossible to guess other competitors' identities; rather, I pictured it as a means of heightening the whole game aspect of the tournament, as to pose another challenge, another puzzle to solve. On the contrary, in OOC terms I think it would be more problematic if the characters don't eventually figure out who their opponents are, since the tournament is really the only thing they have in common with each other (except for maybe a few shared classes, since they're mostly in similar years), so what are the odds that all these strangers who don't recognize each other will interact much outside of it? So that's one potential snag we'd have to work around. However, maybe the mystery surrounding the competitors would have the opposite effect and attract even more public attention in an attempt to unmask their identities. I'd imagine that more than one champion would be exposed in the news by some nosy reporters lol. Looking at it from either way, though, this gimmick will provide a radically different ambience from the tournament in the books/movie, for better or worse, so I understand that it may not be everyone's cup of tea. I'm thinking I'll set up a poll on the matter with three options: masked tournament; just a masked ball; no masks at all. Does that sound good to everyone?

artfvlly artfvlly That's an interesting perspective. What I would say is, I don't think the purpose of the masquerade is to make it impossible to guess other competitors' identities; rather, I pictured it as a means of heightening the whole game aspect of the tournament, as to pose another challenge, another puzzle to solve. On the contrary, in OOC terms I think it would be more problematic if the characters don't eventually figure out who their opponents are, since the tournament is really the only thing they have in common with each other (except for maybe a few shared classes, since they're mostly in similar years), so what are the odds that all these strangers who don't recognize each other will interact much outside of it? So that's one potential snag we'd have to work around. However, maybe the mystery surrounding the competitors would have the opposite effect and attract even more public attention in an attempt to unmask their identities. I'd imagine that more than one champion would be exposed in the news by some nosy reporters lol. Looking at it from either way, though, this gimmick will provide a radically different ambience from the tournament in the books/movie, for better or worse, so I understand that it may not be everyone's cup of tea. I'm thinking I'll set up a poll on the matter with three options: masked tournament; just a masked ball; no masks at all. Does that sound good to everyone?

Question for the shared classes, though. Aren't the classes in each school delivered in the local languages? I feel like there would be language barriers in a lot of cases.

what are the odds that all these strangers who don't recognize each other will interact much outside of it? So that's one potential snag we'd have to work around.

yeah I've been thinking about it and i kind of agree with this point and artfvlly artfvlly in that it would be really difficult for us to figure out how to like, get our characters to interact outside of things specific to the tournament if they don't know who each other is. it might be better if it runs like the original tournament in the books, where everyone is just kind of thrust into the spotlight.

plus, if the only people travelling to the other schools are the champions and their seconds, i think it would be pretty easy to quickly sus out who the champions are, so I'm not sure if it would be a feasible idea from an in canon tournament runner's standpoint either tbh

Jannah Jannah Good question! I don't have a definite answer for you, but I feel like there just has to be some kind of translation spell already in existence; like, the Wizarding World would be so incomplete without one, you know? If not, then I suppose it would be the chaperoning professor's responsibility to create and distribute some kind of magicked devices to their students that allow them to perceive the local language... or, this translation snag might just be one more "challenge" for the students to overcome independently with their own magical ingenuity.

irregular-neptune irregular-neptune These are good points too... Since support for the masquerade seems to be rapidly draining, I shall drop the idea of it. No poll will be necessary, unless someone else would like to argue otherwise. That leaves the question, should we do just a masked ball or nah?

mysteryxio mysteryxio Are you still interested in this thread? Sorry, I don't mean to put you on the spot or anything; I just wanted to check in since we haven't heard from you in a little while.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back