• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Non-Fantasy DND Interest Check

KennyPerf

I'm gonna keep it real-- I'm not sure how to describe exactly what I'm looking for but basically:

I want to do a dnd style rp where there's a dm with a general plot in place and a group of players but not in a fantasy setting. I think I'd be interested in more modern/cyperpunk settings or something set in a pre-existing universe like BNHA, ATLA, Stanger Things, Persona, etc.

I don't know why I'm just not super into medieval fantasy settings but I really like the dnd mechanics and structures rather than just generic structureless roleplaying.

Scoundrel

Roleplay Type(s)
I might be interested in this. It depends on wether you end up going for a modern/cyberpunk setting or something set in pre-existing universe.

Edit: Also, are you looking a DM or just players?

Last edited:

KennyPerf

I might be interested in this. It depends on wether you end up going for a modern/cyberpunk setting or something set in pre-existing universe.
To be honest, I don't wanna dm it I'm just trying to figure out whether or not this is even something people do.

Also, in either case for a setting I wouldn't wanna do anything that utilizes canon characters or anything, just something inspired from these stories.

Wandering Owl

It just matters that someone was listening.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Are you wanting to use D&D specifically, or just that sort of dice-based tabletop system? D&D does have a Modern Magic add-on that includes things like technomagic, but if you're looking for something that's not fantasy at all, you might be better with another system - Cyberpunk Red is very solid, there's a specific ATLA system called Avatar Legends, and Kids on Bikes has a similar feel to Stranger Things, for example.

Last edited:

KennyPerf

Are you wanting to use D&D specifically, or just that sort of dice-based tabletop system? D&D does have a Modern Magic add-on that includes things like technomagic, but if you're looking for something that's not fantasy at all, you might be better with another system - Cyberpunk Red is very solid, there's a specific ATLA system called Avatar Legends, and Kids on Bikes has a similar feel to Stranger Things, for example.
Ah, I see. I've been using D&D as just like a blanket term for any dice based roleplaying game but I guess it would be incorrect.

I've done a roleplay in the past that used dice and had a dm but it was just a dumbed down version of D&D where you had very basic stats and rolled d20 for skill checks and a d6 for damage mostly. I don't know what you would call that exactly but either that or perhaps one of the other systems you mentioned is what I would be looking for. Thank you for the clarification.

KennyPerf

As long as you don't want something based on a pre-existing franchise I could DM it.
Also I did not mean to gloss over your offer lol, if you end up running a modern/cyberpunk campaign please let me know! I'm really craving something like that and they're impossible to find.

welian

#BlackLivesMatter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
If you looking for a superhero tabletop game, try Mutants & Masterminds. If you're thinking about cyberpunk specifically, you might enjoy the Cyberpunk 2020 system.

Ian Temero

Knight of Swords
Well this is getting pretty full. Let me post my interest before it’s too late!

Shadowrun would probably be a good place to draw some inspiration from. Fantasy races and magic, modern/cyberpunk setting.

Edit: Nevermind Shadowrun. Was just looking at it and it looks like a headache to wrap your head around for beginners.

Last edited:

winterhawk

thriftshop melancholy and haunted forest wonder
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
If you looking for a superhero tabletop game, try Mutants & Masterminds. If you're thinking about cyberpunk specifically, you might enjoy the Cyberpunk 2020 system.
Would absolutely be down to try Mutants & Masterminds if anyone else is interested!

Users who are viewing this thread