• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Non-Fantasy DND Interest Check

KennyPerf

I'm gonna keep it real-- I'm not sure how to describe exactly what I'm looking for but basically:

I want to do a dnd style rp where there's a dm with a general plot in place and a group of players but not in a fantasy setting. I think I'd be interested in more modern/cyperpunk settings or something set in a pre-existing universe like BNHA, ATLA, Stanger Things, Persona, etc.

I don't know why I'm just not super into medieval fantasy settings but I really like the dnd mechanics and structures rather than just generic structureless roleplaying.

I might be interested in this. It depends on wether you end up going for a modern/cyberpunk setting or something set in pre-existing universe.

Edit: Also, are you looking a DM or just players?

Last edited:
I might be interested in this. It depends on wether you end up going for a modern/cyberpunk setting or something set in pre-existing universe.
To be honest, I don't wanna dm it I'm just trying to figure out whether or not this is even something people do.

Also, in either case for a setting I wouldn't wanna do anything that utilizes canon characters or anything, just something inspired from these stories.

Are you wanting to use D&D specifically, or just that sort of dice-based tabletop system? D&D does have a Modern Magic add-on that includes things like technomagic, but if you're looking for something that's not fantasy at all, you might be better with another system - Cyberpunk Red is very solid, there's a specific ATLA system called Avatar Legends, and Kids on Bikes has a similar feel to Stranger Things, for example.

Last edited:
Are you wanting to use D&D specifically, or just that sort of dice-based tabletop system? D&D does have a Modern Magic add-on that includes things like technomagic, but if you're looking for something that's not fantasy at all, you might be better with another system - Cyberpunk Red is very solid, there's a specific ATLA system called Avatar Legends, and Kids on Bikes has a similar feel to Stranger Things, for example.
Ah, I see. I've been using D&D as just like a blanket term for any dice based roleplaying game but I guess it would be incorrect.

I've done a roleplay in the past that used dice and had a dm but it was just a dumbed down version of D&D where you had very basic stats and rolled d20 for skill checks and a d6 for damage mostly. I don't know what you would call that exactly but either that or perhaps one of the other systems you mentioned is what I would be looking for. Thank you for the clarification.

As long as you don't want something based on a pre-existing franchise I could DM it.
Also I did not mean to gloss over your offer lol, if you end up running a modern/cyberpunk campaign please let me know! I'm really craving something like that and they're impossible to find.

If you looking for a superhero tabletop game, try Mutants & Masterminds. If you're thinking about cyberpunk specifically, you might enjoy the Cyberpunk 2020 system.

Well this is getting pretty full. Let me post my interest before it’s too late!

Shadowrun would probably be a good place to draw some inspiration from. Fantasy races and magic, modern/cyberpunk setting.

Edit: Nevermind Shadowrun. Was just looking at it and it looks like a headache to wrap your head around for beginners.

Last edited:
If you looking for a superhero tabletop game, try Mutants & Masterminds. If you're thinking about cyberpunk specifically, you might enjoy the Cyberpunk 2020 system.
Would absolutely be down to try Mutants & Masterminds if anyone else is interested!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back