• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic No Strings Attached: A Dystopian Soulmate AU

What faceclaim style fits the story best? (We can go with popular choice)

• Anime Art

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Realistic

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Written Description

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

Skybreaker

way ho, out in the void
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

The ‘Red String of Fate’ meets a high-surveillance dystopia. When you receive a unique opportunity to break free of control, will you take it? There’s one condition, though- giving up your chance at true love.​

IMG_1529.jpeg
”... and thus, we, the People of the New Heartland, build our new world on the bones of the old. Unlike our predecessors, we see the evil of human nature and passion for what it truly is- an absence of love. With this in mind, it is clear that the cause for the Troubles was not the development of weapons, the dwindling of resources, or abundance of natural disasters, but a lack of LOVE- an easily manageable conundrum.”

- Garrett Santos, First President of the New Heartland Republic, 2112 AD.
SETTING -
THE year is 2142. After generations of war, famine, and worldwide chaos, relative peace falls upon the New Heartland, a state formed from the remnants of civilization in North America, spanning roughly from the Rocky Mountains to the Appalachians. Life is highly controlled but few go hungry or die from preventable illness, and farms and rebuilt megacities dot a landscape once scarred by war. Citizens are given everything they need- food, housing, protection, clothing, electricity, water, and medical treatment. In return, they must serve the state and relinquish their personal attachments- including romantic ones- until they have proven their utility and loyalty.

Mandatory state service is a key part of life in the country. When a citizen turns 16, they take an aptitude test to see where they will carry this service out-

- Upholding the nation’s security via the Ministry of Defense in the Houston Metroscape.
- Preserving and shaping the nation’s cultural heritage via New Nashville’s Ministry of Culture.
- Contributing to research and development through the Ministry of Knowledge in the Denver Demilitarized Zone.
- Maintaining the infrastructure that separates the Heartland from raider hordes by serving in the Ministry of the Interior in the Twin Cities Urban Corridor.
- Growing food for the booming population for the Ministry of Agriculture located in the St. Louis Archiplex.

Only after completion of their state service can citizens hope to attain that which would complete them- true love! But how would any government, even a highly dystopian one, enforce something as human and natural as falling in love? Well, that’s due to the contributions of…

IMG_1530.jpeg
“Jealousy, envy, lust… all things of the past! The StringCo NeuroThread™ is a catch-all solution to human conflict and disaster. We are proud to be sponsored by the government of the New Heartland and will continue to develop the best in emotional inhibitor implants.”
- Emily-Marie Zhu, CEO of StringCo, 2124 AD​

RED STRINGS OF FATE -
The concept of a soulmate is more than just myth- it’s a state-sponsored reward. From birth, citizens of the Heartland are surgically implanted with a StringCo NeuroThread™, a powerful implant that stops all attraction and passion before it happens on a molecular level. While most ordinary folks don’t understand the complex workings of the device, it is a piece of nanotechnology that is implanted via microscopic threads and wires into an individual’s brain, providing real-time emotional attachment prevention and excitement reductions. Typically, the threads are implants over a series of surgical appointments during the childhood of a citizen.

While some misguided troublemakers balked against the completely safe technology, citing freak accidents as a deterrent, StringCo assures all users that their proprietary technology is completely safe and not in any way related to psychological or population control. After all, they are not able to implant thoughts or emotions into people through the technology- this is a medical device merely used to block and reduce the pathways of dangerous neurotransmitters that can lead to violence, jealousy, and conflict. Moreover, the device does not serve to control thoughts- only emotions. So some individuals might still have violent or passionate impulses and thoughts, but they won’t feel overwhelmed enough to act on them unless they consciously choose to. Moreover, spikes in excitement will send alerts to the local authorities, who will then send personnel over to talk the emotional individuals down from their temporary spike.

Besides, it is an entirely voluntary procedure. However, it should be duly noted that individuals without NeuroThread™ implants are subject to heftier penalty fees, limited access to public resources such as rations and medicine, and are prioritized in situations of mandatory Labor Draft, which differs from State Service by being composed almost purely of unwanted and dangerous jobs.

Best of all, the NeuroThread™ allows for all citizens to find their one true soulmate upon completing their State Service, through a magical process called…

IMG_1526.jpeg
“Oh thank you NeuroThread, for making our hearts sing,
No more chasin’ rainbows, or that diamond ring
Our soulmates were found, we ain’t have to roam,
‘Cause in the New Heartland, we’re all match-made at home.”
- ”Match-Made at Home” by Kitt Slater (2138), New Nashville Records

THE MATCHMAKING -
This is the crux of any Heartlander’s life- after a long career of state service and NeuroThread™-inhibited living, when a citizen is invited to an exclusive Matchmaking Retreat held by the state.

While the specifics of these retreats vary by iteration, the general commonalities are that they are composed of large batches broken up into smaller groups- the retreat is not necessarily to allow the unmatched citizens to mingle, but instead more so they can be evaluated for compatibility and state loyalty. Only those who pass the evaluation are given confirmation to be assigned a soulmate pair.

It is also relatively well-known that these Retreats are the only state-sponsored scenario in which NeuroThread™ inhibitors are deactivated for small periods of time, though the purpose and intent of this is still rather nebulous.

Upon receiving one’s soulmate pair, acceptance is mandatory regardless of the citizen’s romantic or sexual orientation- the state knows best who your soulmate is, after all! But fear not, even if the initial ‘fireworks’ aren’t there, the state is happy to recalibrate your NeuroThread™ so that you are finally able to feel romantic and emotional attachment to the second-most important loyalty in your life!

IMG_1528.jpeg
“I don’t have much time. But if you’ve received this message, then it’s not too late. Let me show you the truth of this world. Your matchmaking is coming up, right? Please, I’m begging you- follow my directions to the letter. Otherwise, it might be too late. For all of us.“
- ARACHNE, 2142 AD.

THE OPPORTUNITY -
It’s almost time for your matchmaking, when you receive a strange message that deletes itself almost as soon as you receive it. A cryptic warning, or perhaps plea, from an unknown contact called ”ARACHNE”. The matchmaking is the most important rite of passage in any Heartlander’s life- are you really willing to give that all up in pursuit of the truth…?

Hey everyone! If you’ve made it this far, or even managed to skim all that, thanks for reading! This is an idea I’ve been wanting to turn into an rp- a darker take on ‘soulmates’ and ‘romance’. I just wanted to throw the idea out here and see if I could get a few players interested at least. I’m very happy to answer any questions or talk possibilities/answer any OOC topics. Please let me know if I’ve let anything vital out of the interest check- I’m relatively new here, so I’m happy to add any necessary components if I’ve forgotten something.
Other than that, go ahead and comment below if you’re interested! I think we’d need a group of at least 4 in total to get this kicked off, but more would be welcome. :3

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. This looks interesting, so I might join.
  1. Are non-threaded people supposed to be at the retreat too, or just those with the NeuroThread™? Is anyone specifically excluded from this retreat?
  2. Is the site of the retreat self-contained or can the characters come and go?
  3. Would we be allowed to make non-human or powered characters?
  4. How is the art controlled in New Heartland?
  5. How does the government and society typically treat Queer and Intersex people? And for that matter, disabled and neurodivergent people? People of Color?
  6. Even if the majority votes otherwise, would I still be allowed to use a detailed written description instead of a picture?
  7. Are there any requirements for style, length, or formatting of in-narrative posts?
  8. How frequently are we expected to make in-character posts?

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. This looks interesting, so I might join.
  1. Are non-threaded people supposed to be at the retreat too, or just those with the NeuroThread™? Is anyone specifically excluded from this retreat?
  2. Is the site of the retreat self-contained or can the characters come and go?
  3. Would we be allowed to make non-human or powered characters?
  4. How is the art controlled in New Heartland?
  5. How does the government and society typically treat Queer and Intersex people? And for that matter, disabled and neurodivergent people? People of Color?
  6. Even if the majority votes otherwise, would I still be allowed to use a detailed written description instead of a picture?
  7. Are there any requirements for style, length, or formatting of in-narrative posts?
  8. How frequently are we expected to make in-character posts?
Thanks so much for the tentative interest and the thoughtful questions! I think that these definitely delve into the fabric (ha-ha, string pun) of the dystopian Heartland. Let me see if I can provide some additional lore and context!
  1. The Retreat is a sort of graduation/culmination of someone’s State Service. Because it is a requisite to have a NeuroThread™ implant to carry out State Service, the retreat would only be for the threaded folks, and only after around 3-5 years of their service. However, the process to get threaded is relatively fast, so even non-threaded individuals could quickly get their implants, complete their service, and be eligible for the matchmaking retreat. Aside from this, no one is excluded from the retreat, but it’s seen as a sort of reward for state loyalty so it takes time to get invited.
  2. The site is self-contained. There have been iterations where they limit everyone to a certain resort or grounds, and others where they feel the need to split people up into groups and move them across cities. Really, once it’s your time for the Retreat, the state has your full schedule for about a month while they evaluate you.
  3. It depends on how you define non-human and powered! Humans are still the main/only race on the remnants of Earth, and there are no widespread distribution of mutants and/or superpowers. However, military and black market technology exists that augment people within certain parameters: soldiers, state assets, agents, and resistance militia and/or foreign deep-cover agents would have access to powerful technological implants that would allow them to carry out minor feats.
    1. However, these feats would still be well within the realm of technology. For example, someone might not be able to fly, but they might have implants in their legs that allow them to jump further distances, or a grappling hook embedded under their wrist. Keep in mind though that these people are VERY rare within the Heartland due to the surveillance culture. For what it is worth, most of the conflict within the RP is going to be intrigue-based rather than direct combat, though.
  4. Art such as visual mediums, film, and music are all strictly controlled via the Ministry of Culture based in New Nashville. They have these powerful algorithms that immediately shut down and censor any distribution or discussion of art and artists not carefully manufactured and approved by the State. Of course, there are underground art scenes, though these are heavily penalized by fines and forced labor time if caught.
  5. The only widespread and enforced prejudice in the New Heartland is against non-threaded people. They live in an age of technological and scientific marvels, so most forms of disability are seen as ‘fixable’ by their dystopian government and people are often not given a choice on whether or not they need to accept ’treatments’ for their conditions. This is because the government just sees them as resources/assets, so they won’t hesitate to provide mandated prosthetics, augmentations, pharmacological treatments, and more If they think that it will allow someone to better serve the state. Additionally, people of all ethnicities and gender expressions are accepted as well, at least on a state level. You might have pockets of prejudice from the pre-war world, but the Heartland’s official stance is that there are only two types of people: good citizens, and no-strings.
  6. Sure! That would be an option. I’m neutral to all forms of faceclaim, so I am comfortable letting the majority choose the style so long as it encourages them to be involved in the story.
  7. No length requirements, but I would say that given the character-driven nature of the story, literate or semi-literate rpers would be the best fit for this rp. Also third-person style for consistency.
  8. I would be open to working with everyone to make sure that we are all in agreement, but perhaps 1 post per week would be the standard, with anyone having a busy week just needing to communicate that so we can find creative ways to move the story along without needing to wait for a certain character.
  9. The mandatory state service becomes available at 16 at minimum, but characters can start their service at any age after that. Minimum age would need to be 19, and there wouldn’t necessarily be a maximum age. The Heartland has existed for around 30-40 years, so the older generations would remember the times before the NeuroThread™.
Hope that this helps illuminate a bit, and please ask if you have any additional questions!

More questions. Sorry if they're excessive.
  • Are pets still kept in New Heartland? If so, can they come to the retreat too?
  • Does New Heartland have any relations with other nations? If so, what are they like?
  • Are we allowed to make multiple characters?

• What's the clothing like in New Heartland? The Architecture?
I welcome all questions! I‘m so happy that the plot is giving you a lot to think about!
  1. Yes and no! Most domesticated animals survived the warring/troubles period and made it into the year 2142. The only nuance is that aside from agricultural livestock, the government does not provide food/medical treatment for any pets. Thus, pets are seen as a sign of luxury (even though the state provides all the ‘necessities’, different income levels from different state service assignments lead to inequality), since the only way to properly care for them would be to buy from private companies or have a really well-rounded community that is willing to help you care for them. They wouldn’t be able to come to the retreat though, so citizens would need to find arrangements for any pets or responsibilities they have.
  2. Yes, though the average citizen wouldn’t know much about them since the New Heartland practices closed borders and has a closed data network. Everything they know would be through the state. The key enemies would be the West Coast Technocracy to their West, who they’ve previously had territory and digital disputes with, and the Nautical Alliance to the East, which has blockaded their ports several times and launched naval attacks on their attempts at mobilizing. Aside from that, the Heartland trades with certain free cities like New Toronto, Salt Lake Sanctum, and the Monterrey Metro, but merchants are limited to border markets only.
  3. I am open to each player having up to 2 characters at the moment- just in case someone gets busy for a bit, we don’t want their characters to accidentally tie up the story haha.
  4. Think a big emphasis on conformity and uniformity for clothing and architectural styles. Fabrics for the masses are often flaxen and given without dye treatment, but are waterproof and hardy. Cities are concrete and metal, with glass windows and green spaces being more luxurious and reserved for more elite areas. Private companies still provide diverse style options for fashion and architecture.

Thanks so much for answering my questions! So far, things seem to be in alignment with what I can do, bit I have a couple more questions now.
  • What sort of art is banned?
  • Does New Heartland have a physical postal system?
  • What sorts of NeuroThread™ Malfunction are there? Is there any recourse in the event of a malfunction? Are most malfunctions noticeable conspicuous?
  • What's the state of religion in New Heartland?
  • Are any animals that are extant in our time extinct in the time of the roleplay?
  • How is the idea of cryptids and mythical creatures treated by the government?
  • Are retrofitted characters allowed, or do we have to start from scratch?
  • Would "mutants" or magic users be allowed at all? if so what ate the limits? I'm considering making one of my two character ideas a mythical creature of some sort. Nothing that would be typically OP in an rp that allows them, but probably a (negotiable) vampire, or a plain one-animal shapeshifter. It's not a deal breaker for me, I just want to know if they'd be allowed at all because I would take the opportunity.

Last edited:
Aaand another one: What holidays, if any, are celebrated in New Heartland?
Also, I should specify that if I can make a vampire, they'd probably subsist on normal food, but with the addition of animal blood to their diet. (feel free to ask me questions too.)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for answering my questions! So far, things seem to be in alignment with what I can do, bit I have a couple more questions now.
  • What sort of art is banned?
  • Does New Heartland have a physical postal system?
  • What sorts of NeuroThread™ Malfunction are there? Is there any recourse in the event of a malfunction? Are most malfunctions noticeable?
  • What's the state of religion in New Heartland?
  • Are any animals that are extant in our time extinct in the time of the roleplay?
  • How is the idea of cryptids and mythical creatures treated by the government?
  • Are retrofitted characters allowed, or do we have to start from scratch?
  • Would "mutants" or magic users be allowed at all? if so what ate the limits? I'm considering making one of my two character ideas a mythical creature of some sort. Nothing that would be typically OP in an rp that allows them, but probably a (negotiable) vampire, or a plain one-animal shapeshifter. It's not a deal breaker for me, I just want to know if they'd be allowed at all because I would take the opportunity.
Of course, always happy to discuss the lore and anything else potential Rpers would need to make a character!
  • All art not officially distributed by New Nashville’s Ministry is considered contraband. However, private performances and pieces are a bit harder to regulate and track, especially in smaller towns and settlements along the fringes.
  • Yes, but only available to threaded citizens. Everyone else has to make do.
  • According to the government, the implants never malfunction. But since we’re just talking about it OOC, they’ve been known to occasionally give migraines, seizures, and memory loss or motor control issues. Granted, these are seemingly at random, and have a pretty low occurrence rate. If this happens, StringCo and the government covers it up, either by sending the person to forced labor or arresting them for illegally modifying their implant.
  • Religion is not state enforced, but certainly persists culturally, especially in smaller settlements away from the urban cores that are harder to control.
  • Many birds and amphibians died due to pollution and human conflict.
  • Similarly to the modern day, cryptids are given no real attention by the government.
  • I don’t see a problem with this, so long as they properly fit into the world and are rewritten so that they have lived in the world of the New Heartland for their lives.
  • Short answer here would be no, since there are no confirmed existence of any mutants or magic users of any kind. The setting is more futuristic/dystopian, so any abilities if any would just be tech-based. That being said, myths always have a place in human civilization, so if you wanted to incorporate that into a character, you could potentially do that by drawing upon the power of legend/storytelling in the face of resistance. For example, maybe there’s a fringe resistance group somewhere in the Heartland who sabotages government supply convoys but blame it on a mutant wolf monster, or something of the like.

Ok, I guess here's the next round of questions.

• How does the outside world typically view New Heartland? Are there many immigrants or tourists there?
  • What happens if someone wants to leave New Heartland?
  • You've mentioned private companies existing. Would a character who was previously a fashion designer for one be an option?
  • Would a government-approved singer have more elaborate costumes than the average citizen?
  • Do Heartlandians have much time for hobbies? Which ones are most common?

• According to the government, the implants never malfunction. But since we’re just talking about it OOC, they’ve been known to occasionally give migraines, seizures, and memory loss or motor control issues. Granted, these are seemingly at random, and have a pretty low occurrence rate. If this happens, StringCo and the government covers it up, either by sending the person to forced labor or arresting them for illegally modifying their implant.
Would someone who has dyspraxia or any other neurological difference documented before implantation be at any legitimate risk for government repercussions even if there's no conspicuous change?

• Many birds and amphibians died due to pollution and human conflict.
  • Does the government support conservation efforts for the remaining wildlife?
  • If there are birds of prey still around, could there be an initiative for using them for hunting and/or pest control?
  • Are there any zoos in New Heartland?

• Short answer here would be no, since there are no confirmed existence of any mutants or magic users of any kind. The setting is more futuristic/dystopian, so any abilities if any would just be tech-based. That being said, myths always have a place in human civilization, so if you wanted to incorporate that into a character, you could potentially do that by drawing upon the power of legend/storytelling in the face of resistance. For example, maybe there’s a fringe resistance group somewhere in the Heartland who sabotages government supply convoys but blame it on a mutant wolf monster, or something of the like.
Would someone who believes in mythical creatures, or even just entertains the idea of their existence face any government repercussions?

Last edited:
  • Are any holidays widely celebrated?
  • Could a character have worked in a nursing home for the elderly? Would they need to be threaded for that?
  • How old does one have to be to get threaded? Could a parent or guardian have their child/ward threaded against their will?
  • What is the age of emancipation in New Heartland?

Last edited:
  • How long does the Government Service time last? Can someone work more than one type, either in succession or as an overlap?
  • Are there symbols considered to be representative of New Heartland? National animals, plants, or minerals? Any insignia, coat of arms or flag?
  • What sorts of art does the government approve?
  • How far north does Heartland extend? How far south?
  • How are government leaders and representatives chosen?
  • Are people allowed to speak languages other than English? Is it still called English?
  • Is there any new slang contemporary to the rp's time? How creative can we get with neologisms?
  • Are ethnic foods like shawarma, city chicken, or pemmican acknowledged? Or are they considered to be just another food? Are ethnicities in general still acknowledged?
  • Do people have access to food seasonings aside from the easy to get ones like salt, vinigar, garlic, or thyme?
  • What's the system for orphans or other situations where parents can't or don't care for their child?
  • What's school and childcare like in general?
  • Does anyone ever get divorced? If so, are there are criteria that must be met for it?

Last edited:
Aaand more questions! I'm very excited for this, if you can't tell.

• Do the naming conventions differ much from those of modern America?
  • Do people still swear?
  • When the NeuroThread dulls strong emotions, is there any noticeable difference in comparison to emotions that are genuinely light in intensity?
  • I realize I didn't quite get a clear answer, and I also realize that I probably didn't word the question right so here goes again: Would we be allowed to use written descriptions even if one of the picture options wins? This one's really important to me because I don't use pictures for faceclaims at all anymore, but I do try to make my written descriptions vivid and thorough. If you want an example, I can provide it.

Hey! I’d be interested in this rp. My only question is if the out of character would be in discord or strictly on rpnation? (My personal preference is rpnation but I might be a minority in that.)

Hey! I’d be interested in this rp. My only question is if the out of character would be in discord or strictly on rpnation? (My personal preference is rpnation but I might be a minority in that.)
I forgot about this one. I don't do Discord whatsoever, so I'd have to pass if the ooc was in Discord.

I love this interesting twist on the soulmate AU. I’d like to partake if possible.
We’d be very happy to have you! Please let me know if I can answer any potential questions as they pop up.
Hooray! To answer your question, I don’t really have much experience with Discord either, so we can certainly keep OOC to the OOC thread once I have a minute to throw that up. With that, I think we’re at the 4-player minimum! More players are certainly welcomed, but since we have the minimum interest, I’ll start brainstorming the OOC and CS format.

Also StrixDesmodus StrixDesmodus , give a little bit to brainstorm answers to some of those questions! I must admit I have not considered all those aspects of the worldbuilding yet, especially the holidays and other cultural norms stuff. In terms of using a description though, yes you have my approval to use solely a description even if the rest of us use images- it would not affect your character’s acceptance into the rp. :3

Consider my interest piqued. My questions have flowed in line with what StrixDesmodus has asked so far, so I will wait patiently for your answers. Also, I'm glad the OOC thread will be here. I'm not a Discord fan myself.

This sounds interesting. Can I join?

Consider my interest piqued. My questions have flowed in line with what StrixDesmodus has asked so far, so I will wait patiently for your answers. Also, I'm glad the OOC thread will be here. I'm not a Discord fan myself.

This is definitely still open to anyone who is interested! I am still working on setting up character sheets and a jumping off point, but please feel free to check out the OOC thread, where I managed to answer most of the questions asked so far. Additionally, you can post any questions you might have or character ideas there while I work on getting the rest of what we need:

Interested!
Seems like an interesting premise. You've got my attention.
interested as well!
You’re all very welcome to come on over to the OOC thread in that case! I’m still working on making a CS format, but there’s more on the general premise and worldbuilding discussion, and some of the other players are brainstorming their characters a little bit! I’ll also post the CS there when it’s ready and I’m happy to answer any questions anyone has. :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back