Other Minority Representation in RPing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's real talk though. You guys can talk about how there aren't enough people of color in these various roleplays, but it's not like it's something you could control. It's like complaining that the sun is too bright. And if you could control it, people would be pissed at you because a quota of black people for something set on the Eastern Front of WWII or other settings that just don't have any room for non-European characters would not make much sense. So, in real terms, what was the point of talking about this? It certainly hasn't made me want to play a minority character given the immense attention people seem to pay to these kinds of issues.

Here's real talk though. You guys can talk about how there aren't enough people of color in these various roleplays, but it's not like it's something you could control. It's like complaining that the sun is too bright. And if you could control it, people would be pissed at you because a quota of black people for something set on the Eastern Front of WWII or other settings that just don't have any room for non-European characters would not make much sense. So, in real terms, what was the point of talking about this? It certainly hasn't made me want to play a minority character given the immense attention people seem to pay to these kinds of issues.

Then don't. If it's not something that bothers you than don't participate in a topic talking about it. If it's not something you care about than that's great. You can go right on not caring. But it is something the people in this thread care about and we aren't obligated to justify that to you.

Don't play different kinds of characters then simple. In the end everyone is going to play what they want to play. I think the original poster, I guess, wanted to see if there are other characters people like to play other than one particular race. Seems that question in itself brought out all sorts of stuff when really it was just a simple question. Again, play whatever you want no one said you couldn't just like no one said people are not allowed to give their answers on this topic. If that bothers you just ignore it.

And I think your misunderstanding the issue. It isn’t X number of people must be X color.

It is a matter of breaking this idea that white and straight is the default and all variations are exotic add ons that must be justified.
Alright then, do allow me to break this down into parts, starting by taking what you said at face value: The problem is the default notion fo characters being white and that variations are exotic ad ons.

Leaving aside the reason white males isn't discrimination, and more likely to be the result of the most digestible myths and legends often being centered around those due to historically being the ones that travelled and fought more, there are two reasons why the goal you set out doesn't particularly make sense. First one is that even "white" is is just as much an exotic add on, as is any ethnicity. From what I can tell, most players aren't thinking of an ethnicity or anything like that. I guess photo-faceclaim roleplayers can't help it, the farthest people will go is saying the character may have "pale skin" which puts them just as close to being Asian or Korean for instance than white. The fact of the matter is that any race is considered an add-on, because it's really unimportant to a character in a story unless you specifically choose to focus on race. And even then, race issues are more often discussed through some made up alien race or something, rather than hamfitsted through the characters.
The second reason why it doesn't work, is because even if what I said was not true, you can't break the idea of something being the default by overloading the system with exceptions. If anything, making the need to stress out that a character is black or gay or whatever, only reinforces the idea that "straight white" (not man in this case, because men are not seen as the default here on RPN, if anything there are way more female characters) is the default. When you try to break a mentality by forcing behaviors without the step of transiction people into it, you will only get those that notice it to double down, even if they weren't previously concerned with the matter at all.

If we ignore that, and say you have a fighting chance of actually changing the mentality by calling for more diversity, rather than include diverse characters without having to call attention to it all the time, or diverting the story because of it (which I am not saying you personally do, but that it is something which happens far too commonly and thus creates the "resentment" you were talking about later- so I'll get to it when I get there), then we have to consider what specifically what you are aiming to achieve as a pratical approach to this. Then there are two means of potentially doing this:

1. Quotas, which I will not adress since you said this is not the aim

2. Trying to not have characters that are "diverse" treated differently- If you go for this option, do you want to know why these characters are treated differently?

Imagine not having to worry about race/ethnicity/nationality, identity, and cultural perception on the daily? What is that like? What is it like to not spend thousands of dollars on a lawyer just for the slim chance that you might be able to stay in a country that doesn’t want you and avoid a country where you might literally die? What is it like to see yourself represented in 90% of stories? What is it like to afford not caring about history, sociology, and politics? What is it like to not be afraid every single day of your life?

Must be nice.

^ This little thing. This kind of, excuse my language, crap, of bringing IRL drama to our private passtime and hobby. The immediate response to awareness of lack of representation or even if they were at all replying to me, being told that some people just aren't concerned in their, again, hobby about what race their character is or what the defaul may be, is to try to guiltrip people and/or claim that their potential white skin makes their opinion inadequate in the conversation.

Admitedly though, that kind of guilt tripping isn't always there. What's more often there is that people making these characters, from my experience, then feel the need to flaunt around the fact they are "diverse", to put an unnatural and almost disturbing amount of focus on "how gay" the character is or make every conflict about how the character has a dark skin etc..

People who see this have two natural reactios depending on their disposition: One is to treat this as a sign of the character needing special treatment and needing to be tiptoed around for fear of being insulting or perpuating the latest randomly called out behavior or the like, basically feel the need to put the diverse character in a glass case and protect them cause oh so fragile. The other response is to feel overwhelmed or even threatened by the excessive flaunting of what is effectively a minor detail of the character, and have an averse reaction to it. There is no reason why that kind of behavior would bring a positive impact, much less how they expect people to just take it as normal.

And when characters do show up whose players don't tend to this sort of behavior? People call them out on "oh, your character is bisexual just because to be/just for shipping", which may be valid criticism, but it only further perpetuates if not enhances this idea that "diverse" characters are somehow this special category, and that real life suffering should dictate that people treat them in this or that way in their private passtime.

And now, with this said, I feel like I can adress the whole example you gave me:

Think of it this way. What if the default character was a black lesbian. Every movie, TV show, book, play, etc. revolved around the black lesbian perspective. A majority of content focused specifically on the black lesbian perspective and every thing that deviated from it was compared to that central perspective.

Like oh well they’re making a gay movie now so I guess the gay men can stop whining about never getting their own movie.

And their making a white lesbian movie so those white women can stop bitching about their own movie.

But those deviations are the exception not the rule. And the further away from that default perspective the more scrutinized a piece of medium gets.

So when you get to white straight male it’s always seen as this token character. Like people only play straight white males when they want brownie points or to be PC.

And if you ARE a straight white male well tough titties on you. You gotta learn to find stories you like that focus on black lesbians maybe black gay men if your lucky.

But forget about seeing white men, their strictly comic relief/sidekicks or racial stereotypes. And you want a STRAIGHT white man? Wow be prepared to have to justify that a lot Mr.

Because everyone knows stories about straight white men don’t sell. Not unless there is a black lesbian around to save the day or lure the audience in.

So yeah imagine how it would feel if that was the world you lived in. You would want to see a little more people like yourself* and you would be sick to death of people saying that wanting that was just PC complaining.

In this kind of situation, I picture I would have a reaction somewhere in between what I have for female characters and clergy representation in mediums. When it comes to the clergy, while I am not one myself, I feel a degree of connection to those characters through our shared religion. I don't particularly feel like they are missing from most media, in the sense that I don't experience the lack of them as a gap that needs to be filled, but I do find the token way they are represented to often be outrageous, namely the obsession with making them corrupt molestors, which does anger me due to the generalized villification, as the way the narrative often frames it is not that the person is a bad person that happened to become a priest, but that being a priest is what made them into that.
As for females, I have two fronts of my reaction. On one hand, there is anime, where the vast majority of characters are in fact female. This doesn't bother me one bit, and to an extent its even a good thing because, well, anime girls are pretty cute a lot of the time. However in western media, when I hear people talking about how a show with a female main character (not one that just has a female main character, those are fine, but one where people talk about how the main character is female) that worries me and may even dissuade me from watching the movie, not because I have anything against females in such roles, but because I don't want my entertainment to jammed with politics and crap.
So, while I can't 100% say how I would react in the kind of situation you mention, I don't actually think I would mind that much. I don't need a character to be me to identify with them much less to appreciate the character. What I would mind is if there was a general villifcation of my gender/race.

One could argue that some people do feel the need to specifically characters who are black or gay or something, because they feel those experiences- of being black or gay or whatever- are essential to who they are. But if we go for that small sect of people who actually legitimately have that deep rooted an experience in those (a vast minority even among minorities), then the only way to give any semblance of "proper representation", by those standards, falls back into quotas, because at that point you need to have black people and transgender people and homosexuals, just for the sake of having those. This, to my understanding, goes against what you were trying to imply you want.

Because you aren’t saying there can be no black lesbian characters. Or that white male characters HAVE to be in shows because it’s not fair otherwise.

Your just saying hey white straight men exist and it would be nice if they showed up stories a little more with out all this resentment from the black communities (gay and lesbians) about how their being bullied into giving everyone a fair shake.

The problem is, this statement and comparison would be entirely legitimate, IF there wasn't an actual subsect of people trying to bully people into making these token inclusions...which there are for the things we are talking about, willing to go for the most minor things with little introspection and resorting to sly tactics to dismiss opponents, avoid responsability for their own deeds, public shaming which can ruin people's entire lives for minor infractions if they can be called infractions at all, and as quoted above, guilt tripping people into giving them what they want. I am not very involved with politics or anything like that. I am mostly a reclusive guy, trying to live my life, raised with christian catholic values and a general respect for people's dignity...and yet still my entertainment gets infested with people trying to make it "more PC" to use a general term. Yes, there are a subsect of people who will complain about ghostbusters getting genderbent and there being a movie about black people, but the general viewer is really just trying to get entertainment and live their lives. You know what happens when there is diversity without that diversity being highlighted and made center-focus, instead being just another element that does not detract from the story or fun? Black Panther happens. People loved that movie because it was a great movie. I'm willing to bet there's plenty of people out there who now have a lot more faith in the potential of movies with diverse characters like that because instead of identity politics the focus was the actual story and fun. Make somehting that is diverse, without trying to shove down everyone's throats that it is diverse.

When you ask for "more diversity" you have to think about where that will come from. People will not start enjoying it more or caring about it just because you feel it's sociopolitically important. Surely we can agree that if someone is just a nuisance, then staying away from them and not appreciating their presence is a legitimate behavior? To have more diversity, you will need to force people or otherwise coerce them into it. If you want more acceptance of diversity you have to stop demonizing people just trying to have fun. A good strategy instead is to try to provide that fun which happens to have diversity in it.

You want to adress and fix the problem you told me you want to adress, that of diversity being treated as an exotic add on? Then you don't need more diversity, you need better diversity. Some people care about the ethnicity of the characters. Most people don't. Make a good character that just happens to be black, or gay, or whatever else, and no one will bat an eye. Make your character be about being black, in a roleplay that isn't about those sort of themes, or berate people about IRL drama in a roleplaying site, then I won't particularly appreciate you for it.

I got interrupted for a few hours and lost my train of thought, so my apologies if things seem a bit disjointed at some point.

Even today, I think the highest proportion of people in America are straight white males, followed by the same in women. I could be wrong, but I think this amounts to ~70% of the overall population, with ~8% of this demographic not being straight.
I wasn't able to quickly find any statistics on this matter, though judging by the fact that the majority of the population is female and that many of the causes used to justify this are based on American and European countries (AKA countries with a white majority) I would postulate that white women are actually a majority over white men.

So I think Idea Idea you are looking at this in much the same way as Dark lord steel Dark lord steel in that it is some kind of grand conspiracy to force diversity down people's throat. And if that is all you got from the discussion in this thread than there is no further point in us discussing matters. Because at this point we're arguing in two different languages and there is no point in frustrating us both.

I thank you for taking the time to air your grievances and wish you a pleasant day.

So I think @Idea you are looking at this in much the same way as @Dark lord steel in that it is some kind of grand conspiracy to force diversity down people's throat. And if that is all you got from the discussion in this thread than there is no further point in us discussing matters. Because at this point we're arguing in two different languages and there is no point in frustrating us both.
You're misunderstanding me. What I am saying is not that you want to shove stuff down your throats. Breaking it down into main points:

*In my original post I stated how diversity is an irrelevant topic for the vast majority of roleplayers, as most characters don't have a defined ethnicity or anything like that, and even sexuality is often more used for shipping terms.
*My experience with players who DO make a point of having the diversity element, is that they flaunt it and seem obsessed with it, or they inevitably eventually have a problem with something harmless. Either way, these people I've encountered with a hidrance to people just tyring to enjoy their hobby, thus making me more weary of the matter.
*In my latest post, I described how the goal you proposed cannot be achieved by adding "more diversity", as the only means of doing that are to force it on people. Thus a better aim for bigger acceptance of diversity would be to add diversity without forcing it to be about diversity, just letting that element be something the character happens to be rather than what they are about.
*If this is still unstisfatory, then we'd fall into the territory of quotas again, were characters would have to be of a certain ethnicity or sexuality or something just to have such a character.

We don't have to argue, I'm not trying to force arguments here. I just don't think there is a problem of underepresentation as much as one of poor representation. This, among other things of similar nature, causes people to grow an aversion to these matters, which in turn causes it to where there is even less diversity than there would be otherwise.

I don't think there is malicious intent is what I'm trying to say, but rather a misguided complaint.

Without.... getting into any sort of debate...

I play characters in a lot of anime settings (Danganronpa roleplays, mostly) so I generally give them Japanese backgrounds as this is truer to the context than to play someone white (or otherwise culturally diverse) which happens in the universe, but is essentially considered uncommon. As a result I've developed a habit of playing characters of various ethnities according to the culture of the *setting* I play them in, and not as generalized to their country of origin or race. I've always tried to stay true to this by mixing up my characters in terms of ethnicity if I want them to look a particular way but act another. I'll have a half-Welsh, half-Argentine boy raised in Wales because I probably have a better understanding of what it is to be Welsh with less research and nitpicking in my posts than if I were to play him as if he were raised Argetine. Yet I get to maintain a slightly darker skin colour in the character which is what interested me in the first place.
Considering the kinds of RPs I've done, a good portion of my characters are ethnically Japanese but culturally mixed, be it European, or North or South American, just to make it somewhat more feasible in terms of playing them. But such is understandable when you're raised with a Western mindset and are looking to roleplay primarily for fun.
Interestingly however, I'm actually Australian born with a half Indian, half Portuguese ethnic background. I always find it strange that I feel mildly guilty when I mix up two very diverse cultures when I myself AM a very diverse mix displaced in an entirely different culture altogether. Also of note, I only have one true blue Aussie character and one (much underdeveloped) Portuguese character. I haven't much of ever endeavored to make an Indian character but I've never quite liked that aspect of my identity. Perhaps this just indicates however that we are drawn to what's popular, subconsciously or otherwise. I don't think its a particularly bad thing, as roleplaying should be a comfortable matter, and not grounds for racial or cultural conflict. Even better if the setting discards existing culture altogether (as in fantasy settings). But if people choose to diversify and represent another culture to the best of their ability, and the beauty/struggles of the people of that culture, good on them! They should do so proudly.

It’s kind of mind boggling to me that, even in RPs, white characters are the majority. Does this mean that most roleplayers are white, or most characters are white?

Do you write characters of races/ethnicities/nationalities that aren’t your own? Why or why not?

I was just thinking about this yesterday! It’s actually relieving to know someone else felt that too.

I’m black, but because I rp a lot of fantasy/anime stuff, it can be super tedious to find a poc as a face claim. (Always using portraits or anime characters.) I make it work though. Only a few of my characters are white. Still love them, just wish it were as easy to find poc face claims.

I think diversity is a beautiful thing so, I like to see and incorporate it from time to time. That’s all there is to it.

Idea Idea A lot of the expanded discussion in this topic is more about how it feels for minorities to be under represented in roleplays. And a little bit of a side tangent on why white might be the default. No one is trying to necessarily change anything so much as open up a discussion for people to share their thoughts and opinions on why diversity matters to them.

So your points aren't really addressing that and come across as someone who is trying to derail the conversation. I can see now that wasn't your intention and I apologies for misunderstanding your earlier point. But I think something to do might be just to read up on people's experiences and not so much try to offer counterpoints or solutions but just let people express how they feel about diversity and what it means to them.

Also incidentally a good thought for the other thread too. The message got garbled I think but what I was trying to get at is this. If a concept comes up that isn't one you are familiar with or affects you rather than assuming it isn't real why not engage with the people having a conversation about it.

For diversity ask the folks on this thread who have mentioned how much it means to them why it's important. Why they feel that representation matters. You might learn to look at things from a different perspective and the people who feel like their voices aren't being heard will feel like they are being respected and listened to.

I don't really write anything that's not of my own details because I feel comfortable to be myself ^_^ I don't really care or mind of other minorities that you define as other races or cultures as it does not fit in as a definition for minority for me. To me I only see minorities that are trying to cause conflict and class divides such as race or ethnicity or even orientation. I just view everyone cooperating ( reguardless of features such as race, sex, orientation, culture, etc..) as the majority and those that want to break up the majority as a minority ( as it probably is population wise )

If a concept comes up that isn't one you are familiar with or affects you rather than assuming it isn't real why not engage with the people having a conversation about it.
You’re a BEAST, thank you so much for being on this thread. That’s so simple and yet such a novel idea for those empathy-lacking individuals that insist their experiences are universal.

You’re a BEAST, thank you so much for being on this thread. That’s so simple and yet such a novel idea for those empathy-lacking individuals that insist their experiences are universal.

Aww thanks, it's something I garbled on the other discussion Idea and I were having that I kind of finally put into words in this topic. It's something I've done in the past which I have found has helped me learn about experiences outside my own. But it is admittedly something I stumbled into by being a giant nerd. (lol I listen to a lot of harry potter topics which go into a lot of different social issues)

affects you rather than assuming it isn't real why not engage with the people having a conversation about it
There are only two situations where I will, usually, say something isn't real:
1. When they point out something in a discussion of facts that is plain wrong.
2. When they bring up an opinion regarding the behavior or thoughts of others where they assume the reality of it.

Even then I mostly engage in things I actually find important to discuss. I generally don't find the concept of normalization to have credibility (in the way it is is typically adressed), but people thinking that it is can affect what kind of media is censured and public outcry.

As I explained many times already through the years, this disagreement, and bringing up the reasons why I disagree- what one would call a civil discussion- IS my method of engaging with people. I am open to being proven wrong, and should that happen I'll happily change my views and behavior accordingly to the best of my capacity. But rather than people actually engaging my arguments or at the very least showing me the courtesy of at least considering my words, I'm often met with people repeating stuff I already counter-argued, painting what I said as some kind of attack on people, misrepresenting my words etc...

I gave my take on minority underpresentation, the broader topic of the thread.

Does this mean that most roleplayers are white, or most characters are white?
I adressed this matter by explaining this isn't quite the case due to the majority of characters not having an ethnicity and those that do often being korean or japanese, and otherwise "diverse", due to the people who care about diversity typicaly being the only ones even making ethnicities.

Do you write characters of races/ethnicities/nationalities that aren’t your own? Why or why not?
For this one I explained why I don't usually care whether I do or do not in this matter, and that yes I have written characters of other ethnicities.

So what I said, bar what was directly prompted by your response to me, was within the thread's topic, as written.

And my point was this topic is about minorities discussing their feelings of representation. None of which you engaged in. You simply argued against it using your own experience. Which might technically follow the letter of the thread but not the spirit. And that was what I was calling on you to do.

Don't just address the surface level questions. Actually look the content of what other people are trying to say and talk to that.

We aren't trying to change your mind we're trying to have our feelings and perspectives validated. Because so often they're ignored because they don't suit someone else's narrative.

And my point was this topic is about minorities discussing their feelings of representation. None of which you engaged in. You simply argued against it using your own experience. Which might technically follow the letter of the thread but not the spirit. And that was what I was calling on you to do.

Don't just address the surface level questions. Actually look the content of what other people are trying to say and talk to that.

We aren't trying to change your mind we're trying to have our feelings and perspectives validated. Because so often they're ignored because they don't suit someone else's narrative.
WHat about how the majority feels and lives matter as well. It's obvious that minority lives aren't the only ones that matter because everyone has their own perspectives and views and experiences for their representation

Don't just address minorities to see how they may feel in a situation as a majority life matter just as equally as a minority would. ^_^

What am I supposed to do then? Are you saying I am not allowed to post here just because my own experience is not one that aligns with these other experiences?

Am I supposed to go to people's comments and say...what? What am I supposed to say? Is this a "lie or shut up" situation?

And my point was this topic is about minorities discussing their feelings of representation. None of which you engaged in.
I gave my take on minority underpresentation, the broader topic of the thread.

I did engage with the topic in spirit, as WELL as a in direct literal sense. Did I adress X person's direct experience? No, precisely because I'm not saying "you didn't feel X". Your feelings, your worries are valid, I do not mean in any way to take any away from that. However, I find the proposed solution will make those problems worse, not just yours, not panda's, not an individual's only, but all of them.

I am first engaged with the topic, and then engaged with any whom I consider may want to discuss my approach, whether it be in agreement or disagreement. Anyone who feels I'm just dodging the thread's topic, a statement which I vehemently disagree with, can also simply ignore that I posted. I will not go after anyone after having said my peace, less they engage me, at which point I will respond if I have anythign to respond. Am I not allowed to do this?

If you believe my approach is wrong, then by all means, do let me know how I can not betray my own beliefs, but still engage in this conversation in a manner you find acceptable. And if I can't, then why is it that only my experience has to be held to standard of direct engagement with others?

WHat about how the majority feels and lives matter as well. It's obvious that minority lives aren't the only ones that matter because everyone has their own perspectives and views and experiences for their representation

Don't just address minorities to see how they may feel in a situation as a majority life matter just as equally as a minority would. ^_^
Ooohhh, you’re one of the people who likes to combat Black Lives Matter with All Lives Matter.

Here’s the thing: the majority already gets their problems talked about. And, more importantly, they get their problems solved.

We’re not saying minorities matter more. We’re saying that, for centuries, the majority has mattered more. We’re trying to level the playing field.

If my family is sat at a dinner table and I didn’t get any food, I will ask for food. But then you say, “We’re ALL hungry, you think YOU’RE the only one who’s hungry? Our hunger matters just as much as yours”

I’m not saying I’m more hungry than you are or that my hunger matters more. The difference is that you got food and I didn’t and that’s what attention needs to be called to.

equality-equity-reality-liberation-liberation-3095710.png

Honestly. I've been to other sites in my time of roleplaying but this one has got to be the first where questions are asked and it goes into a whole other ballpark of race, who is right or who is wrong like damn. I must have missed the memo about 'discussions' like these are more important than having fun on a writing site.

Ooohhh, you’re one of the people who likes to combat Black Lives Matter with All Lives Matter.

Here’s the thing: the majority already gets their problems talked about. And, more importantly, they get their problems solved.

We’re not saying minorities matter more. We’re saying that, for centuries, the majority has mattered more. We’re trying to level the playing field.

If my family is sat at a dinner table and I didn’t get any food, I will ask for food. But then you say, “We’re ALL hungry, you think YOU’RE the only one who’s hungry? Our hunger matters just as much as yours”

I’m not saying I’m more hungry than you are or that my hunger matters more. The difference is that you got food and I didn’t and that’s what attention needs to be called to.
Sorry, but for centuries the majority has mattered more?

The minority (the aristocracy) in France mattered so much more than the majority they led a revolutionary to overthrow them.

The British royal family refused to listen to the majority so much it sparked civil war.

Nearly every place in history has had a small group of people ruling (and often ignoring) the majority. So it hasn't always been majority first for centuries, it's only really been in the last 100/150 years that the majority has had a major voice.

1: I never said anything about combating BLM with all lives matter
2: when everyone has a problem everyone works to achieve and solve their problem reguardless of race or ethnicity or sex.
3 the majority mattered more in many ways and there were different treatments so which ones are you talking about? The Romans integrating the minority to a majority by killing celts in almost genocide to create a majority class from what was a minority group. The industrial revolution style of minorities of business owners that enslaved the majority working class people with low wages and killer working conditions. Or the modern day treatment of minorities where people of a democratic country are not given extra power because one vote is one vote and any extra power would create a advantage to the minority class that the average majority class individual varying from poor white people in trailers to bill gates are playing without any buffs.
4 in the dinner table scene if everyone is hungry in that logic everyone starves and you can't do anything about it because there is literally NO FOOD. Case simple and done unless your saying that they had food but intentionally decided to not give you any as that's a different situation that is already dealt with with the affirmative action by JFK ( who was white majority)
5: the picture you are receiving is distorted as a piece of propaganda giving a false sense of equality and inequality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back