• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic LIMBO - A Spacefaring Rogue-like (Always Open)

OP
  • Kloudy

The Lore Savant
    Roleplay Availability
    Roleplay Type(s)
    Chapter One: Project XXXXXX

“Tell me, do you believe mankind to be a vile creature?”

There exists a plethora of physical divergences which encapsulate the formula that divides man and beast. Opposable thumbs, bipedal walking, endoskeletons. Interchangeable in their similarities, inadmissible in their uniqueness. Evolution changes, adapts, acclimatises to the physical needs’ relative to its environmental stimulus. It is not constant; it is not permanent. But what, then, remains immortal throughout the generations? What infinitesimal spark perseveres despite each reset, each rebirth, each evolution and every physical adjustment.

Consciousness.

Rooted deep within the human psyche is a capacity for curiosity, a burning fever dream for progress. For change and adaptation, a desire that spurs a culture and its people into new eras and new ages. To transcend the physical; the temporary, and to boldly venture where no beast may dream to perceive. We, as a collective species, have concluded a fine line between the two types of creatures that inhabit the planet we call home: a line so truthful and filled with reckoning it feels almost tangible. We are conscious. We are sentient. As a race we can evolve, change and adapt not only our bodies and even environment, but also our minds. Ideologies, thoughts, ideas, questions, desires. To be human is to be curious, it is to want, to need, to take, create, destroy, manipulate, enjoy, hate, live and ultimately die. In all its arrogance, we, Mankind itself, believe in superiority of the meta-physical.
    That is our reality.

“Can you imagine… A world without human beings?”

But that is not enough for us. Our mere reality is not enough.

It is unfortunate, or perhaps misfortunate, that humanity is so curious. We constantly fear the unknown, as the only constant in our perception is the manifestations of our minds, and in doing so we destroy everything around us in spite. War and famine, greed and jealousy, treachery and power. Our minds are a boon to our species just as much as it is our bane. Self-destructive and progressive in a single breath, we are a paradox of a creation. A circle of life where we birth and kill ourselves because that is what we think we must do. An infinite cycle of stagnation.

A Limbo.

It is said that homo-sapiens sometimes reach the pinnacle of their destructive tendencies. Great kingdoms and empires led to ruin by the one true rule of law. The eternal cycle where all creation eventually leads to destruction.

However, as the cycle dictates, all destruction must lead to creation. Matter, physical or non-physical, can only be manipulated and must transform. Humanity must transform. Very soon, we will break the cycle in one manner or another. Either we will create an existence so utopic we will have no need to die needlessly, hate, want and manipulate.

Or, we will permanently destroy ourselves.

Regardless of which path we collectively choose, this cycle will be broken soon. We cannot continue as we have on this planet, we cannot sustain the eternity that is merely existing for the purpose of existing. We have to pour the world’s resources into unlocking the consciousness. We must evolve as a species, mentally over physically.

It is the only way we shall survive this Limbo.

-Professor William Charles Di Johann, Oxford, Sep 2166 for the Committee Board of the UNE

------

Welcome to the UES Limbo, sample #XXXXXX. My name is Tobi, the 'Technical Operations Bridge Intelligence' of this space vessel. It is my role to serve you as the ship’s artificial intelligence ease-of-access handler and to r-respond to your commands in the event you are in need of my as-assistance. If y-you have an-any-any q-q-ques-s-stions-ions… ple… ase-ase don’t hesit-it-it-it-it-it-it-bzbzzbzbzbzz… Hesitate to ask…

You have awoken in an unfamiliar room. You don’t recognise any of its features, from the strange luminescent tubes running along the ceiling and floor to the complete and utter blackness outside the nearby window: you have no idea where you currently are. There are others in the chrome-steel room with you, but you don’t know any of them. They seem just as confused as yourself. Behind you lies what appears to be some kind of oval-shaped glass sarcophagus, still draining itself of an unknown fluid. You realise you also have this fluid on you and that you must have just emerged from the curious pod in question.

The lights flicker uncertainly, almost reflecting your state of mind. Who are you? Who were you? Why are you here and why can’t you seem to remember anything? Perhaps most importantly, what is this place and what is Project XXXXXX? Why is that name the only thing present when you try to think back?

38e76cfefb670d2607cca6f2cb45649e.png

------

Greetings, Kloudy here! I am currently in the very-rural North-African coastal country of Morocco accompanied by limited internet and a flash of inspiration! I can imagine the first portion of this interest check was very particularly philosophical and vague in relation to its importance to the rp, but you’ve read this far! Or you’ve skipped to the end because you want to see if this rp is for you before committing any more precious attention to reading all that context, but that’s fine too. I suppose you can always go back and read it if you decide this one will be worth your time.

A spacefaring rogue-like roleplay! That’s the crux of it really. Your character will be thrown into the throngs of this mysterious spaceship with no recollection of where they are or who they were. You must work with your team, or strike it out alone, to work out your past and discover your purpose.

In terms of the rp’s structure, it will progress almost in stages, or progressive events. You may walk about the ship and interact with all its intricacies in its entirety, or have a nice chat with Tobi if you desire to, but at regular intervals I will throw a plot event your way. It will be up to you guys as the players to determine how the crew will get through each obstacle and ensure you all achieve another step closer to finding out the truth behind all this. Limbo awaits. Create your own paths and try not to get destroyed along the way.

Speaking of destruction, character death will be a thing. As this will be a high-tech roleplay with all that sci-fi advanced and potentially alien goodness, I can allow limitless character creation in the form of loads and loads of unopened cryopods. When a character dies, worry not! You can create a new person and have them emerge from their cryopod so you can continue to partake in the progress of the team with a fresh avatar. Latecomers are also welcome, so this interest check will always be open. In order to ensure character death/injury/detriment is entirely fair and does not fall victim to my human error (ironic, given the premise), I’ll roll a dice to decide some outcomes.

In regard to the events themselves, I’ll have a pool of events written up to throw at y’all and then I’ll roll another dice to see which one gets picked. That way, not even I can predict what turmoil you will next find yourselves in. I’ll also progressively add more and more events to the pool if increasing difficulty, so rest assured that the journey will be an interesting one.

I’d prefer the level of writing to be detailed, but I can accept semi-detailed too. So long as there are at least a couple of paragraphs of decent coherence to work with, I shan’t complain haha! There’s also the obvious stuff: no one liners, third person please, readable grammar and spelling would be great, avoid metagaming, rpn rules apply, etc…

If you think this rp is for you, feel free to drop a like and/or comment down below! I’ll look for a minimum of six participants for now before I start making any threads. Oh, and I’ll also be making a discord server for ooc purposes! Thanks for reading all this, and, once again…

38e76cfefb670d2607cca6f2cb45649e.png

Last edited:
    Back