• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Let's Chat!! (OOC)

Feel free to

Telling from the lack of magic amongst most the CS I've accepted already (only one having theoretically powerful magic), magic being uncommon, or at bare minimum, requiring heavy formal training, shouldn't be hard to write.

I write magic to be uncommon or extremely hard to learn quite easily. People are always gonna try to circumvent the system. For example, I have another RP, Titans of the Lost World, where I had mana regeneration eliminated by the humans awakening a sleeping Ancient God. The lack of mana regeneration pretty much destroys the ability to increase magic ability and magic skill. The only way to restore mana is via mana potions. However, since the entire world is now in desperate need of them, mana potions pretty much became a valuable as Myhtril in about 6 months. The price of a run of the mill mana potion can get you a good set of Steel Armor, while something like a Big Mana Potion can get you Enchanted Elven Glass or Ebony Armor. It's THAT valuable and, after a year (which is when my RP takes place) THAT rare.

It's a fairly simple change that cuts magic ability inherently in half, meaning that if you're not a dedicated mage, your magic ability, even if you're fairly decent in normal circumstances, is low intermediate at BEST, and you'll suffer in terms of physical ability. I look for fairly creative ways to go about limiting the use of magic, because at the end of the day, especially in fantasy writing and fantasy movies that have magic, it's supposed to be supplementary, not the focus. In the Video Game world, if magic is a focus, physical ability suffers

People will always try to circumvent the system though
And then you get to shoot them down. And their reactions are priceless.

And then you get to shoot them down. And their reactions are priceless.
Yup. I gave them leniency to be able to make Villains who were sent by the Ancient Gods and Otherworldly Gods to stop them from finding and killing the Titans. Their blessing lets them use magic freely with normal regeneration. THAT'S IT. There's no revolting because they can take it away at will. Either you obey and kill or you revolt and fight with restricted magic

Someone in that same RP tried to make a Draconian (anyone who is any percent dragon, but not fully dragon) who could naturally breathe fire as a result of biology, thus their fire moves not not using mana, giving them free reign to basically be a fire mage. That's fine and all, but until an animal is discovered IRL that can breathe fire, Fire Breath and any equivalent breaths, is magic. You can combust say a toxic flamable poison that naturally occurs in the body, but breathing out fire like a dragon is fucking magic.

They kept trying to make it feasible, but I told him that he wasn't about to circumvent the system

I had to add that Finikin has a satchel that can hold an unlimited number of items so long as they can fit through the bag's opening. I forgot that if he is to go adventuring he needs to put the items somewhere. :P

Feel free to

Telling from the lack of magic amongst most the CS I've accepted already (only one having theoretically powerful magic), magic being uncommon, or at bare minimum, requiring heavy formal training, shouldn't be hard to write.

I write magic to be uncommon or extremely hard to learn quite easily. People are always gonna try to circumvent the system. For example, I have another RP, Titans of the Lost World, where I had mana regeneration eliminated by the humans awakening a sleeping Ancient God. The lack of mana regeneration pretty much destroys the ability to increase magic ability and magic skill. The only way to restore mana is via mana potions. However, since the entire world is now in desperate need of them, mana potions pretty much became a valuable as Myhtril in about 6 months. The price of a run of the mill mana potion can get you a good set of Steel Armor, while something like a Big Mana Potion can get you Enchanted Elven Glass or Ebony Armor. It's THAT valuable and, after a year (which is when my RP takes place) THAT rare.

It's a fairly simple change that cuts magic ability inherently in half, meaning that if you're not a dedicated mage, your magic ability, even if you're fairly decent in normal circumstances, is low intermediate at BEST, and you'll suffer in terms of physical ability. I look for fairly creative ways to go about limiting the use of magic, because at the end of the day, especially in fantasy writing and fantasy movies that have magic, it's supposed to be supplementary, not the focus. In the Video Game world, if magic is a focus, physical ability suffers

People will always try to circumvent the system though

Aye, although I hate to say it like this, I like magic. It may be interesting to attempt an RP without it. Although, I must say that people also forget to have laws to magic. I've been playing Tales of the Abyss lately, and I must say how they use fonic artes (this world's magic) is pretty fascinating. There are six (seven really, but seven is rare) elements. Fire, Earth, Wind, Water, Light, and Darkness. Darkness and Light are actually this: Fire--->Light<---WInd and Water---->Darkness<----Earth.

Now the catch to balancing this is all spells require incantations. The battle system takes place in 3D free roam planes, but maintains classic RPG systems. During battle you have to not only protect your casters, but make sure the cast is uninterrupted. Guarding or moving halts the chant and cancels the cast. You also have to aim it, once the cast starts, you can't move it. They can also be easy to spot. Applying this to magic is simple. Sometimes people don't give magic these inherent weaknesses. As such, even a successful prodigy mage christened Necromancer has to learn how to use a weapon. That's how long casting can take. Because you have to concentrate your magic energy then chant, then cast. All of which you are in a vulnerable state, but the payoff is well worth it usually if it succeeds.

If I make a magic system, by god it will be complex, but it will have weaknesses and high hurdles to where not even nobility have an easy go at it. People just use training and schooling as a weakness to magic, which creates REALLY easy circumventing. Nobility and old people will have the upper hand then. But I'll make a system against that.

Another fascinating system is from Hitsugi no Chaika. Magic in that world consumes memories which remain even after death, so fossils and dead material can be ground into fossil fuel. Casting time is also an issue, but so is supply. You also can't cast magic without a Gundo (like a wand, but commonly in a gun shape). Wizards in that world are hard to come by as gundos are expensive or rare.

In essence, magic may require people to step out of their comfort zone.

Btw how are we gonna meet up at the cave? o,o Do we just all head out together or conveniently join up at the dungeon?

I remember the GM saying that there were too many people for one big group, so I was just going to have Xander stumble upon/interact with someone, and sort of form a little party from that. Although, I do confess that I write with little to no planning whatsoever - just writing what comes to thought, so I have no idea how it's gonna work out. xD

my character introduced a possible dungeon in my first post so that could be an option, unless someone else's character comes in and introduces a different one

My character has a dungeon as well

There seems to be many newcomers to the city. My character is gonna get a hotel room and set out that night

my character introduced a possible dungeon in my first post so that could be an option, unless someone else's character comes in and introduces a different one
To be completely honest, I blanked out and thought that she was pissed over her real estate project failing. For some reason, my brain didn't connect it to a dungeon, haha.

Kylesar1 Kylesar1
I'm curious. How will timeskipping work in this roleplay? Will it be a consensus thing?
Would have to be for consistency sake. Dungeons will start and end at different times

I don't really see the use for them with SO many people, so unless there's a world affecting event, time skips probably won't be used at all.

Hey, I'm writing out the character bio, and I just had a question about Gods in this world, is there a set pantheon or are we allowed to define our own deities and systems of worship?

Omg, and due to what you explained in your most recent post, Icara's fyrite gemstone could somehow bring us to head out in a separate group from the others toward the other dungeon.

Those who've mentioned Dead End Cave; Kylesar1 Kylesar1 , Wasted Ink Wasted Ink , Raider dog Raider dog , and (since they are interacting with said group) Raku Raku along with Ranix Aurus Ranix Aurus

Those who've mentioned other unnamed dungeon; Melon Bomb Melon Bomb , Castello Castello and myself.

Those who've yet to pick a group to join, or have yet to create a new dungeon/group to join; Noble Scion Noble Scion and The Mechanist The Mechanist

I'm thinking that Xander may bump into the 'unnamed dungeon' group, and get sucked into there somehow. Balance it out a little bit. Not too sure yet, though.

Archdemon Archdemon
welp, just gonna say this before the gm does but you might want to tone your character down, i dont imagine your very wise expert fighter with destructive psionic powers will get accepted in her current state

Yup. I gave them leniency to be able to make Villains who were sent by the Ancient Gods and Otherworldly Gods to stop them from finding and killing the Titans. Their blessing lets them use magic freely with normal regeneration. THAT'S IT. There's no revolting because they can take it away at will. Either you obey and kill or you revolt and fight with restricted magic

Someone in that same RP tried to make a Draconian (anyone who is any percent dragon, but not fully dragon) who could naturally breathe fire as a result of biology, thus their fire moves not not using mana, giving them free reign to basically be a fire mage. That's fine and all, but until an animal is discovered IRL that can breathe fire, Fire Breath and any equivalent breaths, is magic. You can combust say a toxic flamable poison that naturally occurs in the body, but breathing out fire like a dragon is fucking magic.

They kept trying to make it feasible, but I told him that he wasn't about to circumvent the system
Hmm... This actually gives me an idea for a character who's basically a fire dancer who weaponizes their fire dancing.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

This has been my adage for a long time. Magic has to be explainable, and not-infinite. Fire-breathing non-magic character can be done, but it's more about technique than biology. Like you said, combusting for example a hidden sack in mouth. Still need a fire source before able to do it though.

"True Magic", though, miracle that surpasses reality, that's the realm of God. And playing God in roleplay is boring.

I'll reply tonight. Got a little busy with some back work in school in my study hall.

If groups are going to split up, did you ever consider trying Discord out for rping? Its Channels are real handy when there are multiple groups and areas in an rp, keeps everything organized. (only downside is there is no pretty bbcode as far as I am concerned)

I suppose the other downside would be not everyone uses Discord, but it's just a suggestion. : )
Kylesar1 Kylesar1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back