• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Knights of Pine Shrew

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Esmeralda resisted the urge to roll her eyes as the man continued, and kept up her appearance, praying that Corrian wouldn't notice her suspicious against him. She remained silent at his dark joke, slightly appalled at its dark humor.

"Was this guy for real?" thought Esmeralda as they rode on.

"I haven't met Argos, though I've heard the stories. About a week ago my former partner Sir Ohezler and I ran into a couple of his followers, but we were able to decapitate them." Esmeralda cringed slightly at the memory, she had been such a crybaby then.

"If I was to meet him, I don't think it would be wise to engage him. If King Baile had trouble defeating him I imagine I'd do much worse."

He had only known the lady knight for a very short period of time. But so far she was surprising to him. She didn't react much to his strange comment and she did not lie about her lack of experience. An honest knight something that should not be a rare quality among knights. It was refreshing to hear.

"Don't worry we are not going to get into a fight with Argos. Just gonna get a look at him." Corrian had no doubt Argos was dangerous. He was happy to follow the orders given to him, track and find Argos then return to the king. "You are a knight though, surely a good fighter. Not now but maybe when we have time I'd like to test your steel against my own."Corrian quickly grew distracted and slowed his horse. He leapt of the mount before coming to a full stop. He could tell this was the place. He saw the cave and he could still smell the blood mixed with earth here.

"So this is where you killed the followers of Argos." Corrian crouched down low and looked at what remained off a few scattered footprints. He approached the cave and took in a long breath. What he was greeted by was rotting corpses. One was not human. He turned and looked back over his shoulder. "King Baile did not mention there were other nonhumans involved. I thought Argos was the only one." He looked over the few remaining signs of the battle. It had been a swift engagement. But there was nothing else noteworthy of the battle. Now came his turn to work. He began looking for tracks, he crouched low and continued to smell at the air. Slowly he began to walk away from the caves and back into the forest. He motioned for Esmeralda to follow. "I have a trail. It'll be rough to follow. Grab the horses and follow me." He walked slowly picking his way past bushes and around trees. Any visible marks he could find in the ground were very faint now. He would walk a few paces crouch and look at the ground smelling the air again. "Ok I have there sc- er trail" He looked back to Esmeralda. "Mount up but bring my horse along, I'll stay on foot for a while to make sure I don't loose the trail."

Esmeralda's hand shot instinctivly to her longsord as Corrain talked about possibly fighting her, but relaxed after she realised he did not mean now. The rest of the ride to the cave was quiet, much to Esmeralda's delight, and after reaching their destination Corrian got his horse and began examining his terrian. Esmeralda watched intently as he looked for tracks, impressed at the man's obvious skills.

"How long has this man been an assain exactly?" she thought to herself.

She brushed off such thoughts as he began giving her instructions and got off her horse, gathering the reins of both her and Corrian's to prepare for departure. While she may have been diligent in completing (she just wanted this to be over and done with) she did catch an admorality in Corrian's phrase, "Ok I have their sc- er trail"

"What had he meant to say there," she thought, "scent? maybe. What is he a dog."

Letting on a soft scoff at her inner thoughts, and tied Corrian's horse onto her saddle, indicating to the horse that it should follow her. While Pineshrew was a small kingdom, the horses that were owned were well-trained, making traveling in the kingdom easier to whoever in the court need to go somewhere. Chills ran down Esmeralda's back as she climbed back on her horse. Whatever was at the end of the trail they were following wouldn't be friendly, that much Esmeralda knew.

"Lord,
If I don't survive, please help my father know how much and love him. And please, help him through the grieving process as well.
Amen,"
prayed Esmeralda as she followed Corrian into the unknown, in anticipation of whatever horrors may lie ahead for them.

Seeing that Esmeralda had readied herself Corrian turned back to his trail. Now he could quicken the pace. He focused on his path and began to jog slowing several times to assure himself he was on the right track still. The trail straightened out and he picked up speed. He breathed in deeply and began to run faster and faster. His hood began to pull back in the wind and he lowered his head to keep it in place being certain it would stay on. He took great leaping bounds dodging and weaving around trees and bushes and leaping over low shrubs. He was not an assassin nearly for the tracking skills his speed had served him well in years of fighting as well. That and some of his other less known attributes.

He ran for several hours breathing hard as he did. Finally, he raised a fist and slowed down. He stood still for a while working to catch his breath. His chest heaved and he panted for a while before he spoke. "We are not- far off now." He continued to huff air for a few more minutes until his breathing began to return to normal. "Stay here for a bit I'm gonna look ahead a little. Stay quiet will ya?" He took careful steps into the woods ahead and before long he disappeared into the brush.

Within mere minutes Corrian returned towing a corpse behind him. It was another faun. He dropped the corpse to the ground and tugged at his hood again. "He was standing guard. Not very well. I practically just walked up to him." He shrugged at the corpse. "We are close though. Tie the horses here we go on foot the rest of the way. Be sure we can untie them quickly in case we need to leave in a hurry." He gave Esmeralda time to do so before motioning for her to follow him. "Do your best to be quiet. And leave the kills to me you would give them too much time to scream with such a blade." Corrian began to lead the way but paused. "Follow my footsteps exactly. I haven't seen any yet but there could be traps out here.

MInutes of slow stalking crept into nigh an hour. Corrian stopped suddenly. And crouched. "Two guards ahead. I didn't expect such an organized defense. They are coming our way. Stay low and strike when I do. Try your best to make it quick." Corrian drew his dagger and waited, tucking himself against a tree as the being approached. One hulking Ork lead the way while a smaller hooded figure trailed behind. Corrian looked as though he had stopped breathing. The Ork passed him and then the hooded figure. Corrian stepped out from behind the tree and with swift movements and only a soft schinkt sound made two quick stabs his target dropped. He looked to the Ork with his hooded face waiting for Esmeralda to finish her job.

Esmeralda quietly followed him down the trail, keeping an eye out for any possible intruders that could spring upon them. Luckily, they didn't seem to have any issues reaching their destination, and Esmeralda did well to follow Corrian's instructions on keeping quiet, something she'd be doing most of the trip anyway. She let out a small gasp as he drug the guard behind him.

"Well he sure makes a quick work of things," she thought to herself as Corrian went on, instructing her to tie up the horses for a quick getaway.

She mirrored Corrian's footsteps exactly, for he was at this point leading the mission, glad for him not expecting her to try and take anyone down. Her main point of the experience was with enemies who already were aware of her presence. Sneaking around was definitely not her forte, making her more than willing to watch Corrian at his best. In fact, it was quite fascinating to watch him work in his element, especially since now he was much quieter.

"My ears thank you Corrian," she thought as Corrian stopped suddenly, indicating something was there.

She listened intently as he listed off the things he wanted her to do until he told her that he wanted her to take down someone, silently. Panic flushed through her system as her mind began running off the possibilities of how badly she was about to fail this. She was a knight for goodness sakes, not an assassin.

"Oh please, dear lord let Corrian get his done himself, I really don't want to fail in front of him."

After observing her opponents Esmeralda thought that the smaller one would be easier to take. However, Corrian made quick work of disposing of him.

"Great," thought Esmeralda as she felt Corrian's eyes turn to her, "Sure Corrian, take the little one. Leave the freaking ork to me"

Esmeralda knew she had little time to get the Ork unconscious, evident by the fact his partner just got killed. So she took her longsword out and cut the work in half with a strong blow. The ork's torso fell to the ground with a resounding this, its face etched in pain forevermore.

Last edited:
Corrian watched behind his hooded face waiting with his whole body tensed to strike if things went poorly. As Esmeralda's blade struck two the work split in half. A thin grin split his face. Not that it could be seen. He nodded approvingly. "Well, you cut better than most knights I know." He made a slicing motion with his hand. "Whoosh just right in half. Well done. You won't be an assassin anytime soon but good to know you can handle your own at least." He waved her to follow him again as he tracked ever deeper into the woods. "We should be real close now. stay low." He slid into a crouch himself and stayed vigilant on the trail. Within a minute of stalking, he held up a fist. A thin rope was held taut just above the forest floor. It was poorly concealed by bits of leaves and grass. "Stay still." He followed the rope to the end where he found a simple spike tied to a springy branch. "Amateurs." He muttered to himself as he disabled the trap. "Carry on." He stepped over the rope knowing that it would not catch his teammate now.

Finally, he heard distant voices. He stopped looked at Esmeralda and raised a finger to his lips in the universal sign to stay quiet. He approached a low hedge and peeked over it. A rough camp cut out of the wilderness was inhabited by various creatures, Orks, satyrs, ogres, pixies, and even pegasus were seen wandering about. A cage in the middle of the camp helped a small group of humans. They were dirty and had cuts and bruises. They were all silent and avoided eye contact with any creature who strode past them. He motioned for Esmeralda to stand next to him so she could see as well. This all looked promising but he did not yet see any sort of minotaur. He crouched back down and pulled Esmeralda down. He put his face close to hers and whispered in the faintest tones. "We will wait here until we are discovered or see Argos. There are too many people for me to try and sneak in till nightfall. Watch through the bushes and alert me if anything happens. I'm going to look around real quick. If they come for you or you are spotted just run back to the horses. I won't be far behind."

Corrian's validation of Esmeralda's celaving didn't bring her any joy, for they were still in the possible base of Argos, the sworn enemy of King Baile and therefore Pineshrew. She let out a soft scoff to herself and walked on following him further into the camp. Corrian crounched suddenly, indicating that comething was ahead. Esmeralda crouched to the ground, and admired Corrian as he dismanteled the traps.

"Wow," she thought to herself, "He must have many years of experience to anticipate such a trap."

They continued on until reacing a clearing in the forest, wher various creature roamed.

"This must be his army." Esmeralda thought, "Or at least a region of them."

Corrian spoke of waiting until night, and Esmeralda couldn't help but agree with him. The group was far too large for the likes of her and Corrian both to try and attack them. Corrian left her soon after to watch in the bushes. Her eyes narrowed in on the five humans and she let out a soft gasp as she recongized one of them.

Reyes Dallas, a potato farmer that lived not too far fromt the palace. When she was younger, she'd been sent there by Zathar to work in the fields as a way of bulking up her muscles and giving her the perspective of those less fortuante in the kingdom. He was a stout man with a jovial spirit and always made sure she felt welcome in his home. He was the father of 3 children, all young in age, with a wife similar in spirit. However, his once happy face, well creased with the lines of smiling for hours on end, was now etetched in fear. He kept his head low, and his entire body was caked in dirt.

"Oh dear Reyes," thought Esmeralda, "What have they done you?"

Only one thing Esmeralda was certain of now, she was getting him out of here.

Corrian returned from his brief scouting mission. He had not seen Argos but there was a larger tent in the center of camp. He drew close to Esmeralda again. "If he is anywhere it will be in the central tent there. It's hard to tell exactly but I think there are about 200 creatures here. This is already nearing an occupying force. I'm surprised they have gone this long without being detected. He could be ready to strike within a month, maybe sooner. For now, though it is all speculation. I'm gonna rest for a bit if you can manage." He paused however Esmeralda looked uncertain, and her breathing had escalated. "What did you see?"

Esmeralda was in such a trance she barely noticed Corrian come back from his scouting mission. She became even more startled when he regarded her now flustered nature. She decided now was better than ever to decide to finaly have a real conversation with the guy, espically now that the mission had gotten a whole lot more personal.

"I recongize one of the humans in that cage over there," she replied quietly as she pointed to the cage, "a potato farmer by the name of Reyes Dallas. I used to visit and help him with his farmer when I was younger. Reyes's farm is only about 2 miles from the palace, meaning that if he was captured, it means that Argos has access to areas near the palace which is very, very bad."

She blurted these things out quickly in a panic, and stopped giving herself some time to catch her breath.

"I want to save him," she whispered out, sacred to hear Corrian's reaction, for she was afraid of what he might say in reply.

Corrian grew serious. "A potato farmer. You want to save a potato farmer held captive by a large group of enemy creatures. One of which is a powerful minotaur that is strong enough to make your king wary. This is a bad idea. We are only here to find Argos and return to the king. One potato farmer is not worth the risk." Just then Corrian heard a commotion coming from the camp. He peaked through the bushes. A large hooded figure that towered over the others came out of the tent. It tool slow heavy steps towards the cage. Corrian could not be certain but he felt that this was likely the minotaur. Nothing else out here came close to the size of this being. Yet he could see no distinguishing features. It walked to the cage and opened the doors. The humans inside cowered and shrunk away from the door.

A large black hand reached in and grabbed a woman, she screamed and flailed as she was dragged out. "You will do for dinner tonight." A dark low voice bellowed. The figure removed his hood and the face of Argos was revealed. There was no mistaking it. He matched the description King Baile gave him. Even from here, he could see the large scar along with the Minotaur's mouth and the lack of hair that grew on its face in a jagged line from scar tissue.

Corrian inhaled sharply. "Yup, that's him. Time to go."

Esmeralda face turned angry at Corrian as he said exactly what she thought he would.

"Of course you would say that. You're nothing but a no good assassin who probably has no personal connections allowing for you to make such brash decisions," she spat in his face.

However, her rant was cut off by the sound of rustling from the chief tent of the camp. A tall figure walked out and revealed himslef to be Argos, and the very sight struck fear into Esmeralda's heart. He took a human form the cage, made some remark about eating it for dinner and walked back in. Esmeralda's clenched and unclenched her fist as she watched it happen, debating about what exactly she could do about the situation.

"This creature is eating the people of Pineshrew!" Esmeralda screamed in her head, as her hands reached for her longsword wanting to confront the monster. However something held her back, maybe her reasoning was kicking in or fear. Reardless she took her hands off the blade and turned back towards Corrian who then made a remark about leaving.

However, because she was still mad she purposefully pushed her shoulder into his and stomped off, angry at the situation and how she couldn't do anything about it. Tears began to stream down her face as the situation began to really set in, those people would die.

"Reyes will die," she thought to herself as she reached the horses.

Jumping up onto her horse, Esmeralda quickly undid the knot and galloped out of the tunnel, not want to be around anybody, espiceally Corrian. Her tears were gone by now, repalced with the burning need to punch something.

"I need to see the King. NOW!" she boomed at the stable boy as she put her horse back in its stable.

The boy's eyes widened in fear, and ran away in a hurry, not wanting to be around the scary lady one second more. He soon reached the throne room where he blurted out, "Lady Esmeralda is back, and has requested an audience with the King."

Meanwhile back at the stables Esmeralda's hands ran repeatingly through her hair, trying to gather her thoughts on the matter. She couldn't just go into the throne room speaking angryily, for that would go against every ettiquette book she'd ever read. But, the severity of the situation she believed called for such a manner.

"Breathe Essie, breathe" she though to herself, "You won't be able to give a good report on Argos's camp if you are angry."

Calming herself down, Esmeralda began to gaze at her reflection in the horse's water trough, and was suprised to see the frazzled girl who looked back at her. She ran her fingers through her hair trying to mend the situation. Soonafter she was satisfied with her looks and turned towards the castle, ready to face the questions the King was sure to ask her. She turned to face her partner, her emotions now being in check.

"Are you ready to go Corrian?" she spoke calmly to her partner.

Last edited:
Corrian was pragmatic. He was paid to do a specific job. Rescuing prisoners was not one of those things. Furthermore, the forces gathered there were more than he had imagined. He had found Argos and that was all he needed to do. Now he needed to return and report. At Esmeralda's outrage, Corrian offered nothing. It was true he had no personal tie to these people. Even so, he was upset at the fate these people were subject to. NO one deserved to die in such a cruel manner. Even those he was paid to kill he would not prolong their death. He was not a man of torture or cruelty. He killed for money but not malice. He remained silent on the ride back to Pineshrew.

The stable boy made his way to the King's throneroom. He was curtailed by a guard but upon the mention of Corrain and Esmeralda, his message was passed along. The young boy sighed relief and went back to his stable being sure to steer clear of the knight.

Corrian waited for Esmeralda to gather herself. He was glad to see that she had managed to calm herself somewhat. "Lady Knight. I am ready. But before we go in." He stepped closer to Esmeralda. "Please know that I am sorry to see your people in pain. If I thought it possible to rescue them then." He hung his head in remorse. It was only wishful thinking now. "There is hope yet. I was not paid to merely find Argos. I will help you fight this battle as well." He grabbed her firmly by the arm for a moment. "Please have faith." He released her and stepped away. "Let us tell the king what we have seen."

The pair were admitted into the king's court with all due hast. King Baile stood in front of his throne with his trusty advisor by his side. Alvaro looked relieved to see his daughter return uninjured this time. "Tell me." THe king's voice boomed. "What did you discover?"

Corrian motioned for Esmeralda to speak, after all, she had far more passion attached to the matter than he.

Esmeralda's eyes narowed in onto Corrian's hand as he touched her during his speech of hope, relaying to her how much the man must care.

"Perhaps I've misjudged him." She thought to herself, as the pair walked up to the throne room.

Last time Esemralda came to report on a mission, it twas of good news of the recusing of Jak Obhezler, but now her news was of a dark force returning. However, her thoughts of her past partner were soon interrupted with the voice of the King, asking of a report of the mission.

"My King," she said quickly with a bow, "We have located the stronghold of Argos, and what we found there is something of a most henious nature. A cage full of a few humans was situated in the middle of the campground, and we have strong suspicisions to beleive that Argos plans to use them as his meals. Among these kidnapped was a man by the name of Reyes Dallas, which as you know lives not to far from the palace. If Argos was able to successfully take him, it means that he has prime access to the palace."

Whispers flushed through the throneroom, as fear began to set in. Argos was becoming a threat to Pineshrew, and it sounded as if war was on the horizon. Esmeralda's eyes shot to her father, whose face had turned white at the news as if memories were flooding through his head.

"I will have to quiz him about this later," thought Esmeralda, "There is something my father isn't telling me."

Her gaze turned back to the king, awaiting the instructions that were sure about to come out.

"It's unmistakable King Baile. Argos is raising an army. I have only a rough count but they are in the hundreds. At least 200." Corrian wanted to say more. He wanted to ask if the king would be able to counter such a force. Pineshrew was young and while he had seen guards and some of the forces of the king. What he saw from Argos group was terrifying. "They have mages as well, no idea how many. Argos himself reeks of power. And let there be no doubt. Argos is eating humans." He swallowed at the words. It was a harrowing thought.

King Baile frowned he waited to hear if there was any more information from the two of them. Satisfied they were done speaking he nodded. "Alvaro ready the guards. Try to keep things quiet but get all guards on active duty and start readying conscription letters." Alvaro gave one more glance ant his daughter before leaving the room. "Is there anything else you can tell me?"

Corrian shook his head. "We did not stay long. They look to be preparing for a fight. Though I did not see many that actually looked ready to fight." There were a fair number of armed Orks and the like but he did not see enough weapons for all that were present at the camp.

"I have much to deliberate on." King Baile sat down heavy with all that he had learned. "We will be preparing to fight. As of yet, I do not know if we shall wait to defend or if we should sally out for an attack. Corrian I will discuss your pay for this but the two of should stay here at the castle. Be prepared for an attack. We do not know when Argos will be ready. We have to assume he could strike tomorrow. You are dismissed." King Baile waved for them to leave. Corrian gave a bow and walked out of the court. Once outside he turned to Esmeralda.

"Well sounds like I am getting paid to wait around. What do you do around here when you aren't fighting?" Corrian abhorred boredom while he could waste his time in the pub waiting he would much prefer finding something more entertaining.

As the King dismissed them, Esmeralda's head raced with thoughts. There was a war coming, that much was certain and the Kingdom of Pineshrew would have to call in all its allies if it had any hopes of surviving. She was scared, to say the least, who wouldn't be in such a situation, being a knight for only 2 weeks. During those 2 weeks, she'd seen more action than most knights would endure during their entire career.

"I wonder how Jak is doing," though Esmeralda, trying to dispel her stress, "Perhaps I should visit him."

She was about to turn to go to the infirmary when Corrian asked her a question regarding what she did when not fighting for the king. Before she began her service as a knight, when she was not with Zathar training, she was in her father's study reading and writing about the world she wanted to visit so badly.

"There is a pub a little outside the castle or you can find a servant to escort you to your rooms to rest. If you'll please excuse me, I need to go and visit a friend of mine," she replied trying to not come off as rude.

Then, she ran off to the infirmary, praying that he wouldn't follow her, and greeted by the smiling face of her old friend, Katara.

"Hello Esmeralda, here to see Sir Obhezler I presume?" Katara asked in a cheery disposition.

"Why that I am. How is he?" she asked, trying to conceal the concern behind her voice.

"He's recovering well, come he's been put in the back," replied Katara, as she took Esmerlda's hand and led her to the back of the room, where she found Jak on a padded cot.

"Hello Jak," said Esmeralda as she got closer, "How are you feeling?"

Corrian did not argue the point. Esmeralda had her own business to attend to. He would not intrude on her. He nodded and let her go on her own way. He would head to the pub for now. Little else to do around here now. After all, the mood would turn somber soon as news of the coming battle would spread. He made his way quickly away and found the pub. He inhabited a quiet corner and found himself a maid to bring him meal and drink.

Jak had been recovering from his near-death experience. As well as trying to come to terms with the fact that he had in fact died. The real issue was that his body did not work as well as it once had. His right arm was now weak and he struggled to grip simple objects let alone weapons. Even so, he was alive. Somehow. Yet from what he had heard. Esmeralda had quite a bit to do with his survival. Seeing the girl come to visit him was a welcome reprieve from his time being stuck in bedrest. "Hello, Lass! Come to visit an old man eh?" He chuckled a bit before he was interrupted by a bit of coughing. " No one will really tell me how I made it back. No one seems to really even know what happened other than you saved me." He strained to set himself upright in bed better. "I have terrible memories. Nothing specific. More like I knew I was dead yet I was still running around trying to kill things. Mostly I was angry. I'm pretty sure I fought you as well. And someone else. But nothing really sticks. It's just a rather terrible memory. Can you fill me in at all?"

Esmeralda laughed at jak's words and was glad to find him in good health. However, her once jovial mood turned sour after he asked her to recollect how she saved him, a memory she did not really want to revisit.

"Well, after I came back from the cave where you killed two of Argos's followers, King Baile sent out an order to collect more warriors to fight for Pineshrew. This is where a met Gether, an ogre that helped bring you back in your darkened state, and we were sent out to collect your body for proper burial. However, when we got there we found your eyes blackened and spouting the evilest things along the lines of how you were going to kill us. Luckily, in this state, you were weakened and it allowed Gether and I to bring you back to the palace unharmed where King Baile was able to extract the dark magic out of you."

She looked in her eyes intently as she relayed the story, hoping he was understanding it all for she did not want to repeat it again. She noticed how much he struggled to get up and down, and even breathe.

"Are you okay Jak?" she asked, eyebrows depending with concern, "You look as if you can barely move!"

Jak nodded slowly at Esmeraldas question. While she had saved his life he was not in the best state by far. Even with the help of Katara and her wonderful understanding healing potions and herbs he had suffered grievous injury. A cut to his throat had left him with coughing fits if he spoke to much, Katara said it would improve with time. But even so he needed to speak carefully for now. He began slowly, "Well I did take a blade to the throat and gut. My insides almost became my outsides." He looked at the young knight who had made some changes as well. "Make no mistake though I'm glad you saved me. This is still better then whatever they had done to me." His mind realized what was different about her. "You cut your hair. Whatever for?"

He wondered what else exactly Esmeralda had been up too. But he would not bother her to catch him up on everything. "Don't fret to much though Katara says I should be able to get back mostly to normal. Though my fighting days are over it seems. King Baile has already told me he will have a place for me as captain of the guard, Just training soldiers and the like."

Esmeralda's hands shot to her hair as Jak made a comment on it, face turning into a surprised expression.

"Yeah, I did cut my hair," she replied, "Easier to brush."

Jak then told her of his newfound position, one Esmeralda thought was very well deserved.

"Good," Esmeralda thought to herself, "A man of his talents shouldn't be wasted."

"I'm so glad for you Jak," replied Esmeralda jovially, "I'm sure you'll do great as a mentor."

Suddenly, Esmeralda felt a hand on her shoulder, and after turning around it was revealed to Katara.

"I'm so sorry Esmeralda to cut you and Sir Ohezler's conversation short but it is time for me to give him medication," told Katara.

Esmeralda began to back away, "Oh! No problem, I need to go anyways." she looked back at her old partner.

Esmeralda headed back to her rooms, changed into more comfortable clothing than her full-bodied armor, and went to the library, in hopes of gaining more knowledge on her enemies. Immediately she headed to the mythology section of the library, which while small had some of the best novels of the genre. Most had been personally selected by her father.

"Speaking of my father," thought Esmeralda, "Perhaps I should visit him soon."

Her hands brushed over the worn-out copies of various mythology books, until she finally selected, a novel by the name of the Mythological Beasts and the Lands the Inhibit. She opened the book and found the table of contents, surprised to find nothing. Checking another novel entitled, Mythos, brought up similar results. She let out a frustrated grunt as she realized something King Baile had told her long ago.

"Though he is not a new foe to me or my father. Our line originally created the minotaur in hopes of having them as a champion to fight our battles for us. " the memory echoed in her brain.

Argos was a creation of man, that was now dead-bent on destroying them.

Last edited:
King Baile grieved at his bad fortune. Argos was growing bold. So bold as to be ready to attack within a short period of time. While the date of the attack was unknown it was imminent. It left much for him to prepare and plan for. Sitting here would accomplish nothing. He must take action. Alvaro was preparing letters. Men would be called to arms. He had to wait and see how many would respond to the call. He stood from his throne and began heading to the stairs to go to his own room he had letters to write and requests to make. He did not make it far. A servant entered. "I'm sorry to interrupt my lord. You have a guest." King Baile raised a hand. "Send them away I have no time for visitors."

"You better make time for me brother"

King Baile froze. He turned to the servant. Next to the servant was his sister. His mouth dropped open slightly. He closed it and turned towards her. "Lady Janet. I was not expecting company. Don't tell me you've come alone."

"Of course I'm not alone. I took the horse here Themerus." She chuckled briefly at Baile's shocked expression. "I brought a couple of servants here of course."

"Jannet this is really bad timing. I'm about to be attacked." He marched over to her.

"Oh please, you are always about to be attacked." She waved him off. "So where will I be staying?"

"No Janet, It's Argos. He's back."

Janet's smile disappeared. "Then you should tell father."

"you know why I can't do that."

She huffed. "You're impossible. Let me call my husband for aid at least."

Baile did not respond right away to that. His sister's kingdom was a little far but they were friendly and they had a standing militia. "I uh, will consider it."

"You'll do more than consider it. You will write the letter right now and send it off." Janet took Baile by the arm and drug him to his room.

An hour later a newly sealed letter was carried downstairs by the pair. "Now you just need someone to send it."

"I know just the person." Baile summoned a servant and gave them instructions to fetch Corrian and Lady Ruiz. "I will send them at first light."

Corrian was getting ready to make a move on the barmaid when a servant told him he had to return to the castle. "try and have any fun around here.." He returned to the castle and was met by the king and another he was not familiar with. "My lord? Pressing matters so soon?"

"Yes, Corrian but let us wait for Lady Ruiz."

Esmeralda, knowing she wouldn't find much more in the library decided to head back to her room for the night, where she found a servant about to knock on her door.

"May I help you?" questioned Esmeralda, startling the poor man.

"Lady Ruiz," the servant rushed out, doing a quick bow, "You have received a summons from the king, he wishes to speak with you in his throne room as soon as possible."

"I see," Esmeralda, unconsciously rubbing her hands along the fabric of her dress, "I will be there momentarily."

"Of course my lady," and the servant walked off.

Esmeralda got into her armor the quickest she ever had, knowing that the only reason the king would likely be summoning her would be for a mission.

"Great more Corrian," she thought sarcastically in her head.

Moments after Esmeralda rushed into the throne room surprised to see a woman standing next to the King. Her eyes turned to the king.

"You've requested to see me, my King," she questioned.

Upon Esmeraldas entrance the door opened and closed one more time as Zathar entered. King Baile stood at his throne with Lady Janet by his side. "Thank you for coming so quickly. I have tasks for you all. First and foremost. Zathar. You are to take this letter to my sisters kingdom. Make all due haste. Leave immediately." Baile proffered the letter in his hand and Zathar walked up took it and. With a curt bow Zathar left the room without another word.

"As for you two you can surely see that I am not alone. My sister lady Janet has come to visit at this unfortunate time. Her safety is paramount. I cannot spare the guard to escort her back. As such I am tasking the pair of you to watch her at all hours. Trade off as you need to so you can attend any others duties you need to but to be clear. She does not leave your sight."

"Brother this is hardly necessary. Within a few days my husband will march here with his army." She nudged him with and elbow and he only shot a glare in return. "Fine. So serious... I suppose it is Argos. Anything else brother?"

Baile shook his head. "That's it for you. Corrian I do have another task for you. I need you to see if there are any spies here in Pineshrew. The last thing I need is a rat tearing us apart from inside. Esmeralda you are to work with Jak on organizing the guards and familiarize yourself with out defenses. For now we are going to assume that Argos will come to us."

"King Baile has a sister!" thought Esmeralda as the king introduced her and Corrian to Janet. Soon after it was revealed that she and Corrian would be expected to take care of her during the duration of her stay at Pineshrew. And, after accessing Corrian's job vs hers Esmeralda concluded she probably is spending the most time with Lady Janet. She was to organize the guards, which wouldn't be too hard considering she had Jak's help in the matter. From what she'd heard he'd beaten them in battle too often to not be respected.

She turned towards Corrian, "I can take Lady Janet for now."

Bowing towards Lady Janet, Esmeralda now addressed her, "My Lady, if you would please accompany me to the infirmary, we need to go collect a friend of mine, a man by the name of Sir Obhezler."

King Baile raised an eyebrow at Esmeralda as she asked lady Janet to ask her. However, as he opened his mouth to object but stopped himself. Getting Janet out of the way meant he could make other interruptions uninterrupted. "You're in good hands sister." He ushered her towards Esmeralda. Lady Janet scowled at Baile but made her way towards Esmeralda all the same.

"Lead on lady knight." Janet was not terribly pleased with this arrangement but she knew the alternative. Without the escort leaving the keep would be out of the question. At least she could order this young knight around. But first, she would follow her and see what there was to learn.

They arrived at the healer's chamber and a ragged looking man was slowly walking to the door. Upon seeing Esmeralda he called out to her. "C'mon lass, get over her and help a man get to his post. I need to get to the barracks."

King Baile's hesitation to let Lady Janet go didn't go noticed, and the scowl the lady sent him right after did help quell such suspicion. From then on Esmeralda knew she would have to keep an eye on her, for who knew what shenanigans. So, after receiving confirmation from the lady that she was ready to be led, Esmerelda escorted her silently to the infirmary, walking behind to make sure the Lady wouldn't try and run. However, when they reached the infirmary, Esmeralda's shock at seeing Jak waling caused her to run over and help him up. Slinging his arm over her shoulder, Esmeralda led the group to the barracks so that Jak could begin giving instruction.

"Is he even ready to fight?" thought Esmeralda, constantly looking back to see if Lady Janet was still following them.

"So what's the plan?" she asked Jak, leading him to a bench.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back