• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Knights of Pine Shrew

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Esmeralda stood in shock as she watched the ooze coming out of Jak's shoulder making her wonder what in the world they had done to them. She had little interaction with dark magic in the past, though had read of it some in her father's library. However, such sessions were quickly stopped by her father after discovering her with them, for what man would want their daughter to know such a horrible thing. Still, with her little knowledge of her foe, Esmeralda concluded the best thing to do was to not kill him, for perhaps the dark magic could be brought out of his body by King Baile. Now her trial was not trying to kill the man, a feat far more difficult than it seemed. His attack on her was odd, and the spit that was flung onto her cheek was black, probably the result of the black magic that now coursed through his veins, keeping him alive. She knocked his swords out of her way with a strong blow and flung her body at him, trying to bring him to the ground in hopes of restraining him.

"Gether!" she yelled at her partner, "Get something to restrain the man, looks like we are bringing Sir Obozheler back alive to the King."

Last edited:
Gether's grip tightened on Jak's sword before she released it in an attempt to get to her own weapon, however, and luckily, Esmeralda managed to gather her own wits and stepped between the two. The ogre took some steps back, giving some proper distance as to not get in the way and gauge which of her weapons on her cape would do best to face the foe. An exclaimed, "Oh!" popped out of her and she lifted a single finger before reaching behind herself.

Just as she felt her fingers wrap around the expected weapon though, Gether heard a strange noise and peered up at the two. Esmeralda was practically tackling the diseased, or what Gether though was a diseased, enemy. It seemed like a poor choice. "No, no, that won't do." She lifted her hands and used one to pretend to stab the other. "You've got to take him down like this. Doing what you're doing will only restrain--" Gether halted in her words as she realized that was exactly what the knight wanted to do.

The ogre looked around, doing what she could with little knowledge of what a knight had to find something that could restrain him. Her eyes landed on the mule's reins, and she jogged over to remove them. She didn't much use them when she rode the mule, due to it following the horse either way. "Get his arms together, I'll wrap this around it until I can buckle or tie them together."

Jak bit his tongue as he was slammed into the ground. He wanted to impale the girl not wrestle her. Yet having thrown her whole weight into him he could not stay upright he felt his sword slip from his grasp and did his best to bring his dagger around to stab the girl. He heard his knife clink against metal on her back. Her armor was stopping the dagger but wrestling about on the dirt like this he could not find a hole in her armor. He screamed as he did all he could to fight back against the girl. His strength was not enough and the wound to his shoulder was slowing him down. "Let me go, wretch!" He roared into the air as he tried to get a leg under her to kick her away.

He saw the ogre approaching with straps. "NO, NO, NO!!! You have to kill me don't think you can take me alive! I'll cook both of ya for this!" He was practically foaming at the mouth now trying to scabble away in the dirt but he could get neither the traction needed nor the leverage.

Esmeralda took one hand and slammed Jak's face into the dirt, using her other in an attempt to flip him over, trying to both further restrain him and get better access to his hands.

"Really," she snided back to his comment on cooking them alive, "You can barely fight me, let alone get either of us anywhere near a pot and fire."

It was hard to keep Jak from getting back up, making it difficult for Esmeralda to hold him down, but she managed. She called out to Gether, asking if she gathered some form of restraints to keep him down.

"Gether, come and help me get his arms, whatever that mage has done to him makes him very hard to keep down."

Gether squinted her eyes at Esmeralda's comments at him being barely able to fight her. While, to some degree, that was true, she was also the one that so willingly was about to give up her head to an enemy. Given, the ogre couldn't be sure exactly why she'd acted in such a way. She had a minimal amount of puzzle pieces that she could bring together in order to forge a better grasp on how the knight was feeling like. However, mentally, Jak had won the battle. Without intervention, it may have been over if she didn't snap out of it herself.

Gether decided not to say anything. It wouldn't help here and it'd only make way for a strained relationship between the two. Gether popped at her knuckles and put the reins at Jak's side. "You tie him up. I'm better at keeping people down either way." She hit her belly to show her pride within her weight. "Stay on him," she said and brought forth her foot, using her toes to pinch at Jak's clothing, then jerked her foot toward herself to keep him on his stomach. Then, she rammed her knee in his back, used one hand to lock his wrists together, used her foot and toes to grapple at both his achilles. She used her final limb, her free hand, to push against his neck, following something similar from what she saw Esmeralda do, keeping his face in the dirt. "The restraints are right here." Gether jutted her chin out to the side of him. She didn't have much of an issue keeping him down, especially with the knight already doing most of the work for her.

However, as she basically used her entire body to push him into the ground, the temptation to just off him was real. It seemed ridiculous to bring him back home. He was gone. Gether hadn't seen much of situations like this, she wasn't sure what could be done, but ending his suffering appealed to her much more than tying him up and throwing him on the back of a steed. Just as before, she concealed how she felt. She wasn't an actual knight either, out of the two to choose his fate, Esmeralda was far more qualified.

"Hurry. Let's get him back," Gether strained to say.

Esmeralda was glad of Gether taking the reins on keeping Jak down. After locating the mule's reins Esmeralda leaned down next to the two knights, one keeping the other occupied. She strung her hands on either side of the reins and looped it under Jak's wrists and began turning it until an effective bind was in place, tying it off with a square knot.

"Gether, could you get him on my horse," she asked, getting up and walking over to her horse. She took off her ration pack and tied it onto her armor, making room for her nearly dead partner.

Jak struggled with what force he could muster, but as he felt the leather straps wrap around his wrists he understood his new predicament. Yet Logic had fled him long ago. He wanted freedom and most of all, he wanted to spill blood. Yet his captors had bested him. All the same, he tested the bounds of his straps. He was unable to find a purchase or find a way to slip his hands-free.

"Why don't you just let me free and we can finish this fight so I can kill you!"

Esmeralda brought the hilt of her sword down in hopes of knocking him out and lifted his body on the back of her horse, securing him down with a rope. Hopping on her stead she yelled, "Let's be back to the King and galloped off back to the Kingdom of Pineshrew, eager to see what King Baile, wielder of Dark Magic. Getting back to the stables, she didn't even wait for Gether to get off her donkey and rushed to the throne where she knew the King would be, carrying Jak's unconscious body in her arms. Kicking down the throne doors (a trick she learned from Zathar) she rushed up to the throne and sprawled his body on the King's footsteps.

"My King, Sir Obhelzer has been corrupted by dark magic making him not dead yet-" Esmeralda wanted to go on, but remembered the palace officials around her.

You, Zathar, Alvaro, and only a small handful of others know of my power. The King's words echoed in her head as she raised her head to face his gaze.

"May I speak with you and Lord Ruiz privately on the matter?"

King Baile sat in his throne room with Alvaro at his side. His latest venture was speaking with the trading guild known as the Borderless. Wandering traders who oftentimes paid little attention to the walls and boundaries that divided countries. They claimed to be truly neutral and only trade items. Not information. Even so, rumor traveled that they would spill secrets of other kingdoms for a price. But one would first have to have a good relationship with their group. Trying to befriend such a group early on was a delicate matter for king Baile. Later on, the advantages would be boundless. Of course, the rare items they could procure were a worthy boon alone. Even so, as he spoke with Yeager, the son of the leader of the Boundless he felt his gut twist. This was a sensitive meeting at a sensitive time while he awaited the return of Esmeralda and his newest knight to be Gether. His gut twisted and he looked up to the door. Something dark was coming he could feel the dark power coming towards them. "Gentleman, we are about to have an interruption." Having the door kicked open he stood. Esmeralda rushed forward and planted the body of Jak near his feet. His expression turned from one of joy to sorrow confusion. "Alvaro, please take Yeager and our guests to the dining hall, I have urgent business here." Baile gave Alvaro a knowing glance, as the years they spent together allowed them to communicate in the glance. Alvaro nodded and quickly rushed the guests to the dining hall. Baile dismissed the guards and servants as well with a wave.

As soon as the room cleared Baile went down to a knee and checked for a pulse on Jak. It was thready and erratic but it felt as though the man were still alive. "This should not be...Argos was not this strong before." He bit at his lip for a moment. Only Esmeralda and Gether were in the room with him now. "Gether, on your life you are sworn to secrecy with what you are about to see." King Baile stood to his full height and removed his cloak, the long dark fabric fell to the floor and Baile scooped up the bound knight. "I knew better than to give up on you, but I didn't expect this. He moved to a private chamber adjacent to his throne room. It was more of a study than anything else but would give him the privacy needed. "Close the door behind us. He swept items off the table and laid Jaks body there. "Last chance Gether Secrecy on pain of death or you leave." He gave her only a few moments to decide.

He inhaled deeply and began chanting in a nordic language. Nothing seemed to happen for a full minute. Until slowly shadows crept from Baile's back and a faint glow began to show from Jak's body. A sickly green color was seen around Jaks body near his chest however a dull dark red pulsed. "He's still in there." Baile began to move his hands over the dull red glow in his chest. "Not long for him though. Quickly go to our healer Katara, tell her to give you her best healing potion and as many poultices as she has to cover wounds. Come back as soon as you can." Baile went back to his unusual chant. Dark tendrils snaked out from his back and began to form a cocoon around Jaks body. More and more tendrils seemed to pour out of Baile, tendrils that did not cover Jak began to pluck at the sickly green aura that surrounded him. As pieces of green tore free tendrils would stab and slice at the sickly green until it dissolved into the air. The effect was not immediate but the Red pulse seemed to show just a little brighter.

Esmeralda watched anxiously as the King worked his magic on Jak's body. She was watching so intently that she barely registered the King wanting her to go find Katara, the head healer of the palace.

Wanting to help Jak in whatever way she could, she simply replied, "Yes sir," and quickly rushed off to the medical ward.

Stopping a nurse she rushed out, "Where is Katara."

The nurse pointed to a young woman with flowing brown hair, tied into a ponytail as to not get it into the paitents blood. Esmeralda rushed over to her, knocking a few paitents out of the way as she did so, and grabbed her arm, turning Katara towards her. Although starled at first, Katara soon recongize the frazed woman who stood before her.

"Lady Ruiz, how can I help you, is something wrong?"

"Jak- Sir Obhezl- The Kin-"

"Whoa, whoa," said Katara as she led Esmeralda over to a bench, "Calm down, and tell me the full story."

Taking some breaths, Esmeralda organized her thoughts and told Katara exactly what happened and what the King needed. Soonafter, Katara and Esmeralda gather the nessacary materials and rushed back the King, egar to help in whatever way.

As the Magic flowed around King Baile he began to sweat at the exertion required to remove the dark magic from his former knight. His life force was still there he was still fighting even after all this time. He could not abandon this knight to darkness, more importantly, he could not let Argos win. Argos had not only been responsible for the death of his new knight but he had corrupted this man's body as well. But Baile would reclaim him, It was unlikely that Jak would ever be quite the same again. As Esmeralda returned with the healing potion Baile's many tentacles were moving at a fever pace. As she came in a tentacle removed the healing potion from her grasp and another took the pile of poultices as well as closed the door behind her. The sickly green aura was fading and the cocoon was beginning to unwrap from Jak. The faint red from earlier now had a steady red pulse though its color was still dull. AS the potion was poured down his throat and the poultices applied the many wounds that covered Jak began to ooze and bleed, the room began to stink as his flesh began to shed portions of him that were rotting. The wound on his right shoulder looked worse. The entire arm from the cut down looked festered and oozing. "He's going to lose the arm." Without any more explanation, King Baile pulled out a knife and sawed the appendage off. After doing such the arm fell away from the table and began to rapidly decay.

Not long after the arm deteriorated the last of the sickly green was destroyed by his magic. A deep inhale was heard from Jak and he went into a coughing fit. King Baile took a step away and his dark tentacles receded and disappeared. Jak's eyes came open and he turned on his side and vomited. Black ichor mixed with bile spilled on the table and floor, the foul stench permeated every corner of the room. After another coughing fit, Jak looked up leaning on the one arm he had. His eyes connected with Esmeralda first. "Lass...." He panted a few times. "What the hell did ya do to me?" He cast his eyes about the room before spotting the king as well. "Ah, my liege!" He began to try and push himself up.

"None of that Jak, stay put you need to rest, you have been through a lot." Baile's serious expression began to fade and he let himself have a slight grin. It had worked he had saved this knight from the influence of Argos. Even if only just. "Lady Ruiz let's get him to Katara. He is going to need more care than I can give him now."

Jak looked on in confusion, "Wait I am back in the castle?"

"Much has happened Jak, we will tell you all you need to know in time for now let's get you to the healer." King Baile opened the door and called for his servants. Before long a stretcher was procured as well and some able-bodied Servants took Jak to the healer's station. Baile put a hand on Esmeralda's shoulder. "You did well bringing him back alive to us. He will have a place here with us still. That is thanks to you. Now, are you ready to talk? Last time I tried to speak with you you ran off. I need to teach you more of our enemy Argos."

To say Esmeralda was happy to see Jak alive would be an understatement. Dark magic was a wondrous practice that had seemed to cure her old partner. She watched anxiously as they led Jak out of the room and even started to walk towards him, wanting to help ensure his full recovery. However, after the King placed his hand on her shoulder she knew she couldn't go, for he seemed to have something to say to her. Esmeralda chuckled nervously at the King's comment of her running off. Looking back on her previous actions she saw how that could be interpreted as rude.

"I am ready my King, I will admit to being quite curious about who exactly we will be facing. Anything that can make even my father afraid seems to be quite a foe of the kingdom."

It was an unexpected journey. Gether hadn't planned to take a living corpse back, she had thought the body would be still and a funeral would take place. It had been off-putting enough that she found herself often strained to not do away with Jak as they rode back to the King. Gether but helped and followed when they arrived, and then, King Baile gave her an ultimatum. Considering all that had occurred up to this point, she didn't want to leave. She wished to observe. The ogre lifted a single hand and nodded toward the King. Indicating that she would indeed hold all that she saw with her and only interact about the event with those who were there.

Her brows, usually up high in a constant fascination in people and places dipped downwards as she watched the King pull out magic that she hadn't ever wished anyone near her to have. Gether folded her arms, kept her legs far apart and stood her ground. Even though it wasn't pretty, it would seem that this was what Jak needed. She didn't look at Jak, her eyes seared into the King. Was this okay? Was it allowed? Had he lost his way? Yet, her determination on the matter was just the same as his.

Then, he spoke. Words filtered from the living corpse. It held a new character. A different mind. A change. Jak had lost his arm, but it would seem that he had gained far more. After an exchange of words, King Baile sent off the man and Gether continued to keep. She was still a new recruit and, after all she had seen in the little amount of time she had with them, there were clear underlying issues and relations she didn't understand. Her toes curled beneath her and she finally let her arms fall to her sides once more, easing her focus. "I need a nap," she grumbled to mostly herself. Her head hurt just thinking about it all.

King Baile was pleased to hear Esmeralda did not plan to run this time, at least so it seemed. Her actions would show if she had developed greater character yet. Baile turned to Gether in turn, this new knight had decided to stick around as well. Though the turn of events seemed to take a toll on her as well. "I'm glad you stayed Gether, just now that what you have witnessed is secret and only a privileged few know of this. In your future interactions with others around the castle, it would be best to assume that anyone else you talk to does not know of this secret. What I can tell you now though that is no secret is of our enemy and where I think he may be lurking. Come let us go somewhere less,.. messy." Baile motioned for the pair to follow him to yet another room in his great hall. This room a library was adjacent to where they were. It would be private enough.

As King Baile appraised the room for a moment to gather his thoughts his eyes alighted on a book of creatures. He went over and grabbed the book off the shelf and opened it on a table, long lines of text bordered a picture of a minotaur. "My enemy is a minotaur, as I have told you before." He motioned to Esmeralda. "Though he is not a new foe to me or my father. Our line originally created the minotaur in hopes of having them as a champion to fight our battles for us. He was magnificent, in many ways he still is. His strength is unrivaled. You could not best him in standard combat... Many have tried." King Baile's eyes grew distant as he considered a particularly vivid memory of some men who tried just that. Baile turned back several more pages in the book and continued. "Generations ago my family created the Minotaur, at first he was everything we hoped, he did our bidding and destroyed our enemies for us. A fear of him spread through the land. Our kingdom rose to power. On the other hand, our enemies grew more numerous. From what I am told Argos was sent to help quell an uprising in the east, he did not return. Strangely all talk of the uprising ceased as well. Initially, he was assumed dead. Yet no trace of his body could be found, the forces we sent with him were discovered. Horribly maimed though. A generation passed with no sign or word of him."

More pages were turned until the same minotaur showed with a castle burning in the background. "The inhuman wars began, lead by none other than Argos himself returned seemingly from the grave. I will not bore you with all the details, but these serious off pitched battles raged until I came of age to fight. My dark magic seemed to be the perfect counter to this beast. Zathar and I thought we killed him. But the wolves and the dark dagger you returned show me he is ready to strike again. Something is different this time though. He seems stronger in his magic. I suspect someone or something is helping him." Baile closed the book suddenly. "You will meet me tomorrow morning for your next task, I think I know where we may find that new help Argos has found. But first I must get you a new companion. You are free to do with the rest of the day as you please so long as you keep the secrets we have discussed as a secret." Baile dismissed them with a wave.

After hearing about Argos in all his glory, Esmeralda began to fear this enemy, for who wouldn't be afraid of such a thing. She was glad to the King for allowing her the rest of the day off and decided to go visit her father Alvaro in his study.

"Essie," said Alvaro, surprised by his daughter's sudden appearance, "To what do I owe this-"

Esmeralda said nothing, but engulfed her father in a hug, trying to apologize for her behavior these past couple of weeks. The two stood there for a moment, simply enjoying each other's company, and spent the rest of the day catching up with each other on the various things that had happened in the past weeks.

The following morning brought Baile to an early start. Alvaro awoke him when his new warrior had arrived. The sun had not risen yet but progress waited for no man. Not even a king. Baile walked through the dim hallways to greet his new warrior. The more accurate name for him would-be assassin. Corrian was not a volunteer nor was he honor-bound as his other knights. But Baile hired him to help fight Argos. The man was good at tracking people and creatures down alike. "Good morning Corrian." Baile grabbed the man by the arm and gave him a warrior handshake clasping at the wrist. He was not surprised to feel a blade there beneath the cloth of his arm.

"Good morning your highness, do not worry the blade is only for your enemies, though it does pay to be prepared, even when meeting a king." Corrian had his hood up but his face was uncovered for now. He only showed his face to the people who hired him. And only when they paid well enough. Baile was one such client and the respect of a king was not one to ignore. Even for a small kingdom such as this.

Baile looked at the man for a moment in slight confusion, he would not press too far but only remarked, as to his features. "That doesn't cause you much issue does it?"

Corrian shook his head and grabbed the cloth to cover his face. "Only as much trouble as you think it does. It won't be a problem though." They ended their long handshake.

"Alvaro see this man is fed in private so he can help our friends when they arise."

Baile went to his throne room and waited for his knights. Corrian was first to join him and stood silently waiting for the others.

Many emotions surged through Esmeralda as she made her way back to her bed-chamber for the evening. She had done it, Jak was saved and back to normal, and she only hoped that she could visit him soon. However, when she reached her room she was surprised to see Zathar standing there with a smug look on his face.

"Hello Zathar, is there a reason you are in front of my bedroom this evening," Esmeralda asked, tired beyond belief.

"I just wanted to congratulate you on saving Sir Ohezler, from what I understand it was not the easiest task in the world."

Esmeralda chuckled at his statement, "It wasn't too bad, emotional trauma aside."

"And how did that new trainee do, Gether I believe her name was."

"She did quite well actually, even helped me restrain Jak under his dark state, I believe she will make a good addition to the Knights of Pineshrew."

"I am glad your opinion of her has changed, from what I hear you were quite rude to her at the tournament."

Esmeralda averted her gaze at that statement, "Well, looking back, I don't think I was in my best mind that day," her hand went to her hair impulsively, "Let's just say I made more than one impulsive judgments that day."

"I can see as such," he said as he looked at her shortened hair. "Well, I shall leave you to bed, from what I've heard you have a busy day tomorrow."

This piqued Esmeralda's interest, but she didn't dive further into the subject. From what she learned from the past, trying to get information out of Zathar was like trying to catch a feral car, nearly impossible. Zathar walked past Esmeralda, but she still had one thing left to say to him.

"Zathar"

He turned around towards the quiet voice, "Yes?"

"Thank you"

"For what?"

"Everything, I couldn't have gotten this far without you."

He smiled at her and turned away going to his own bed for the night. Esmeralda barely slept that night for her curiosity of the next day was too much to let her think about doing anything else.

::::::

Esmeralda walked tiredly to the throne room, and on her way grabbed an apple knowing that was all she'd time to eat that morning. As she ate, she thought of Argos and the next move the King could have, and soon received her answer. For soon after she reached the throne room and found that the warrior the king had talked about had arrived, in their full, meaning glory. So menacing to the point that it caused Esmeralda to drop her half-eaten apple to the ground, sending a thud throughout the room causing most in there to notice her presence. She quickly picked it off the floor and kept her head down in pure embarrassment.

"Nice going Esmeralda," she thought, "Way to make a first impression."

Corian turned his head sharply as the knight came into the room. He tilted his head slightly as he appraised this new knight. So this girl was to help him hunt down the Minotaur. He knew this was only one of the two who would join him. He looked back to the king for a moment. Baile nodded his head to affirm this was indeed the knight he would work with. He heard the apple hit the floor and reflexively he went to go pick it up. He moved across the floor in a quiet shuffle and as she rose back to standing he was there next to her. He had gotten closer then he normally would have liked. He quickly took a step back. "Good morning." His husky voice slid past the covering for his face. The sound of slight sniffing came from him before he stopped abruptly. "I am Corrian." He offered a gloved hand and bowed slightly at the waist, a custom of respect he had been taught. "Assasin, rouge and general mischief maker, however in the employ of king Baile. You may call me friend." He stood stock still listening intently.

It was a lot to comprehend, especially as she was not one who understood much of kingdoms and royalty. She took to walking around, looking at the sights, finding what could be done where she was now. Gether didn't know anyone, nor did she know who she was allowed to approach and who she wasn't. She was essentially from the country, when put in terms of a human. She knew how to stay alive and how to be a family.

What continued to grab at Gether was the dingy feeling that tugged at her stomach. Just like that. Jak was fine. But was he entirely fine? She was usually forgiving and believe people deserved more than one chance, this was different. It was a darkness she didn't understand and she wasn't all too keen on seeing that corpse again, not yet that is. She was still in dire need of that nap though and she was quite sure where to go for that. Thus, she found a good place outside to lie down in a shaded area and closed her eyes.

Luckily, at some point in the day, someone stirred her awake, asked her some questions to figure out who she was and directed her to a room. There she spent the night and received help to find the place to meet with King Baile. Upon arriving though, she watched a new figure get ever too close to Esmeralda and Gether couldn't help but reach for a weapon on her back. He backed off though, even extended his hand toward her. He introduced himself as Corrian, and the ogre's concern only grew. He seemed like a tough individual to read.

"Friend?" she echoed and bit at her top lip and turned her gaze to King Baile. "Why would ya' employ someone who labels themself as a mischief maker? Doesn't that seem like a poor choice of choices?"

Esmeralda let out a small 'oh' as she stood up, nearly knocking heads with the masked figure. The two quickly stepped back from each other causing Esmeralda to let out an awkward chuckle. She gingerly accepted his extended hand and shook it as she introduced herself.

"Pleasure to meet you, Corrian, maker of mischief, I am Lady Esmeralda Ruiz, a knight for the kingdom of Pineshrew."

She eyed the man up and down and could tell how he'd gotten his title, everything about this man seemed to exhume mystery. So, when Gether asked, " "Friend? "Why would ya' employ someone who labels themself as a mischief-maker? Doesn't that seem like a poor choice of choices?," she couldn't help but agree.

"Being a maker of mischief isn't a bad thing. Fortunately for you two King Baile, here dictates what mischief I am up to while I help you. In this case, he wants me to help you hunt Argos. So that is just what I will do." Corrian turned to look at the king to affirm what he said. King Baile nodded his agreement.
"You will fond Corrian to be very helpful. He is more than just an assassin he is an excellent tracker as well. You will take him back to the mountain where you retrieved Jak. See if he can pick up the trail from there. If you actually find Argos do not engage. Gather any info you can and come back. Depending on the size of the force I will assemble the necessary force. I will join you in the fight against him." King Baile exhaled a long breath. "I know this had been a lot, especially for you Esmeralda but I hope we find the conclusion to this issue soon. This is not the only thing that needs to be taken care of. But this is the most important."

With a deep bow, Corrian offered his most gracious. "Of course your highness." Corrian stood gestured for his new companions to accompany him outside. "let's not keep our king waiting. There is work to be done." Corrian turned and walked out of the main hall. He went straight to the stable and prepared his stead for the journey. He was ready fairly quickly and mounted his horse. He waited for his companions. "What an odd set we are... A Knight an Assasin and an Ogre. Surely the enemies of Pineshrew will have no choice but to cower at our mighty presence. Ah sorry, an Ogre knight. So two knights and an assassin. Well, lead the way lady Ruiz!" Corrian spurred his horse gently and the stead made small tight circles as it pulled at the reigns.

Esmeralda's eyes narrowed at Corrian's words, being a maker of mischief was quite a bad thing for it meant it would mainly be outside of the law. The law was there for a reason and people like Corrian was why Esmeralda was employed as a knight. What made this man any better than Pineshrew's enemies, for she believed their tactics would be the same. The one redeeming quality he had was that he was in the employ of the king, which made him trustworthy, for now at least. Esmeralda would keep her eye on him, however, in case he got any ideas of betrayal. She gave an affirmative nod towards the King, and left for the stables, thoughts swarming with anticipation of the mission ahead.

She climbed onto her mare's back and stroked its mane as she waited for the others to join her. Breathing in and out she tried to calm her nerves, for she needed to be on guard. At the beckoning of her new companion, Esmeralda kicked her horse into a gallop, not bothering to look behind as she led the group back on the mountain.

Corrian looked back at Gether who was a bit on the pale side. Perhaps more then usual. "She does not look well." Moments after he said such Gether vomited on the floor. Corrian spurred his horse away from the mess and new foul odor. "Well you no longer look fit for battle. Best you stay behind." Corrian was not bothered in the least, he was not overly found of having a noisy ogre along, Lady Ruiz seemed far more practical for the job after all. Gether excused herself and went to the healers.

Corrian shrugged and spurred his horse on towards the mountains. He pulled his horse along side Lady Ruiz. "I don't see many lady knights. How is it you can come to be a knight in such a young kingdom? I understand Zathar trains you, but what have you accomplished?"

Esmeralda's suspicions of Corrian only rose with his comments towards her now sick companion. What had he done to Gether, poisoned her? Why was he so insistent upon Gether staying behind? Was he one of Argos's minions sent to kill Esmeralda after she saved Jak?

And many more questions such as these flashed through her head as she watched Gether walk away, whatever had happened to her Katara would be able to heal. Keeping her head high so as to not arise suspicious in Corrian, she yelled a "Yah!" and the two were off. Much to her dismay, Corrian soon galloped towards her, making it so the two were now riding beside each other. Her passive expression turned to a frown as he began speaking to her regarding her history as a Knight of Pineshrew.

"He must be trying to gather information on the kingdom in hopes of overthrowing it," thought Esmeralda, "But, because he was hired by the King I must remain civil until he reveals himself to be the culprit I know he is."

Esmeralda put on her best ditzy smile as she turned to Corrian. "I haven't accomplished much, for my servitude is fairly short-lived."

The pause of silence did not go unnoticed to Corrian, just like everyone else she carried suspicions as to why an assassin would ask such casual questions. His line of work did pay off to be in the know, even so, PIneshrew nor its inhabitants were likely to be his targets. Anytime soon at least. Esmeralda was also the king's personal knight. Making a move on her would place a bounty on his head. Yet if she was inexperienced as she said. She would not understand these things. "Short-lived eh? That sounds like something I would say before taking down a mark!" He burst into brief raucous laughter. He realized she might not find his joke as funny but he let it hang to see her reaction.

They galloped on and he pulled at this hood to fight against the wind. "So have you ever met this Argos fellow? King Baile makes him sound like a real piece of work." The number of Marks Corrian had moved against was immense, man and beast all died the same under his blade. However he was only hired to help King Baile fight the mark. However he was too follow instructions, his first job was to simply find the mark. Then return to the king. "How much longer you think?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back