• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Knights of Pine Shrew

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
"My King," she said keeping her eyes to the ground so she wouldn't have to face his gaze, " Sir Obhohzler and I went to Hamlet as requested when our informal Gregor told us of wolf attacks occurring in the area. Soon after we faced off the wolves and Sir Obhohzler and I both sustained injuries that weren't too mild. We both recovered quickly and rode to the land of a man named Leo, a poor farmer who had lost nearly every to the wolves, including his daughter. It was here that we faced a bigger battle but ended with Sir Obhohzler killing the Alpha. Unfortunately, Leo was killed in the fight due to my inability to defend him, and Sir Obhozler and I rode off following the wolf track finding a cave and it was here that an Ork and Mage came out, impaling Sir Obhohzlerwith a dagger which I have here," Esmeralda pulled out the dagger and showed it to the king.

"I come back bearing a message from those foes, now dead thanks to Sir Obhohzler, that a man by the name of Argos is coming back to claim this land and that I was to warn you."

King Baile tapped at the forearm rest of his chair impatiently as she spoke. He already felt that this was too great a loss for his young kingdom so soon. A part of him hoped this news was an elaborate ruse or a trick. But such hope was vain, Esmeralda carried no reason to try and deceive him in such a way and the way she spoke showed that she had experienced loss. Jak had indeed accomplished much by her telling. He still managed to kill the Alpha as well as an Ork and a mage. The most interesting part was the dagger. It's existence proved the killing of a mage. The weapon practically dripped in dark magic. His jaw tightened at the sight of it. Alvaro gasped.

That wasn't the worst of the news though. Argos was alive. Making claims to the land of Pine Shrew. The wolves had been his first move. It would seem a minor play but in reality, the wolves had destroyed a farming family, fear would plague that area for some time now as people worried about whether or not they would be safe. "Esmeralda set that knife down, it isn't safe." He let out a long exhale and tried to release the tension he felt building in his voice. "Alvaro I suppose it's time she knows." He and Alvaro shared a glance for a moment, Alvaro looked nervous but he nodded his ascent all the same. It was time to let Esmeralda in on one of the secrets of the kingdom.

King Baile stood and reached out to the knife he raised an open hand to it with his fingers extended. Dark tendrils crept from the palm of his hand and writhed along the table moving towards Esmeralda. The tendrils went until they reached the dagger wrapping around it, just as suddenly the tendrils tensed and pulled the knife back to King Baile. The dagger now appeared in his hand and the tendrils vanished. "Esmeralda, you may not have found personal victory in this mission but you need to know what we will be facing soon. Argos is a dark magic user as I am. Though we carry stark differences. He is not a man, and he does not use his magic for good as I do. Even so.. Dark magic does not carry as many opportunities for one to do good. It is so focused on death and destruction I struggle to find ways to use it. For the most part, I hide my powers. Many see it unfit for a king to possess dark magic. This is one of the reasons I seek to establish the Kingdom of Pine Shrew. To show that it can be done. However, now we face even more obstacles. You, Zathar, Alvaro, and only a small handful of others know of my power. I would have told Jak this were he here...." A long silence stretched out at the fallen warrior's name.

He turned the dagger over back and forth, such a weapon of destruction, its darkness would corrupt any it impaled. Esmeralda was lucky not to have accidentally poked herself with the blade, its magic would take hold regardless of how small the cut. He ended his silence "Esmeralda, you and Zathar are my only knights currently. It is not enough, I will need more. Argos will need to be tracked down and defeated. I will need to face him. Again." King Baile looked to Alvaro. "My good friend send for more knights, we are to have trials to see who will be up to the task." He looked but at the young knight. "Much responsibility falls to you now. I will test more knights, you will fight them in arena combat, you will tell me who you think worthy to help you further pursue this issue. Go for now. It will take the better part of a week to assemble more knights. Rest and recover, you deserve that much."

Esmeralda didn't like the prospect of having to train new knights when she herself was a novice, but she agreed nevertheless. At least, she would have Zathar to receive guidance from. Exiting the throne room, Esmeralda headed to her room, wanting nothing more than to lie down and sleep. To her, everything felt different and the palace was no longer the happy venue that it had once been. Thoughts swarmed her head ranging from the fact that she'd failed and had to go on future missions with this knowledge. When she reached her room, she simply laid down on her bed and stared at the ceiling, not even bothering to take her armor off. That was until a knock came at the door.

"Essie, it's your father. May I come in?" asked Alvaro, standing outside his daughter's door.

Silence greeted him back, for Esmeralda didn't believe she could face him right now.

"Oh, I see, you must be exhausted from your journey, I will come back later this evening to speak with you."

And he did come back later that evening, only to find a similar response. Gone was his little girl, bustling with joy and excitement to face the world. What replaced her was a hollow shell of a woman, who did nothing but stared at the ceiling and contemplated what had gotten her to this point. She didn't eat nor drink as minutes turned into hours, turning into days until the week was nearly up. This concerned her father, who soon went to speak to the one person he thought could get through to her, Zathar.

"Zathar, you don't understand, she hasn't eaten anything for 5 days and even has to be forced to drink something every once in a while. Something happened on that battlefield that she didn't tell us, and is affecting her to the core. I need you to speak to her, I won't lose her like I lost her mother," said Alvaro, looking him solemnly in the eyes.

"She left behind her partner Alavaro, that does things to one's brain. I see why she's acting like this," replied Zathar.

"THEN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT," replied Alvaro, getting angry, "Please, you're the only one she'll listen to."

Grumbling, Zathar agreed to talk to his student and left for the girl's room. He didn't even knock as he busted through the door.

"Get up, Esmeralda, you and I are going training, you need to let out some anger. I will see you in 10 minutes in the training field."

And 10 minutes later, Zathar watched as Esmeralda staggered down the hill, ready for whatever he was about to throw at her. She barely reached the bottom of the hill before he ran at her, sword in hand ready to strike. She sloppily dodged by turning to the side and struggled to draw her sword.

"Lesson One of sword fighting, always be prepared for a surprise attack."

He swung again, this time over his head, forcing Esmeralda to leap out of the way. By this time, she had drawn her sword and began to attack him as well, and though her first few attempts were unsuccessful, she eventually landed a force big enough to send him to the ground, pointing her sword at his throat triumphantly. Zathar chuckled at the smile she threw him and was helped up off the ground.

"I haven't seen one of those in a while," he said, sheathing his sword, "You should smile more often, it would calm your father's worrying about you."

"My father is worried about me?"

"Well yes, you came back from your first mission and locked yourself in your room to the point that he had to come to me to get you out of it."

"Oh," Esmeralda replied, looking at the ground, "I do suppose I've been acting a little strange recently."

"A little, Esmeralda, you came back with the news of a foe to the Kingdom of Pineshrew and the death of a partner you barely knew. I understand that you have felt a deep loss in this at 2 weeks but you need to snap out of it. There are new potential knights coming in tomorrow, knights that could help you avenge Jak's death. Your father and I can no longer allow you to mope around anymore. It is time to take action, time to grow into your title as Knight Esmeralda of Pineshrew."

She looked at him with tears in her eyes for she knew he was right, it was time to grow into her recent knighthood.

"I will, Zathar, I promise you I will."

As Esmeralda was dismissed King Baile sat in his chair for a long time, food was now uninteresting, and long past were the thoughts of hunting. He knew that his young kingdom would face threats and challenges, but these seemed so severe so soon. He had only just taken Jak on as a knight. Esmeralda had been under the watchful care and training of Zathar, he was lucky not to have lost both of them. He could only imagine the impact of losing his daughter would have had on Alvaro. It was all too close to the chest, too personal. The borders of his kingdom were under attack, Argos would not strike out in large numbers until he felt he had the upper hand, this was only a taste of things to come. Long nights and more terrors would prowl the edges of his land. Gnawing at people and land until nowhere felt safe. "Go on Alvaro, I have much to think about."

Alvaro nodded and quickly left to check on his daughter. There was much to be done. But first King Baile needed to understand just what he faced. He retreated to his chamber. They're far from everyone and prying eyes he could think and ponder more. He cleared his table and began to more closely examine the dagger. He pulled at it with his dark magic testing it well into the night. Exhaustion crept on him and he had learned little. He retired for the night and went to bed.

He arose early the next morning and ignored the dagger. Too much to do. The rest of the week was spent writing letters and making requests. The only proper way to find good knights was to host a tournament. He spread the news of his tournament as far as his influence would let him reach, inquiring of any kingdoms or peoples brave enough to fight under his banner. Through it all, he was disgusted. The jovial atmosphere people felt as they prepared for the tournament felt like a disrespect to Jak. But as of yet, they would not be able to honor him. His new knight's first quest would be to find and retrieve Jak's body so that he could receive a proper burial. But it would still have to wait, he could not risk Esmeralda traveling on her own after such an incident. He could not spare the guards to go with her yet. He needed more knights, people truly prepared for battle.

The day of the tournament neared and he was no closer to understanding the dagger, he also heard the disturbing news of Esmeralda simply confining herself to her room for the duration. He hoped she could find the will to continue, he needed brave knights, not those who were ready to cower. Alvaro was worried as well it was clear, he often looked distracted. Finally, on the day of the tournament, he heard that Zathar convinced her to rise and even fight a little, that relived a bit of stress for him he hoped he could count on her to fight well into the future. At last, the time came and King Baile could sulk and hide in his castle no longer he too had to show his face to the light of day and greet his people. He walked the short distance with his few guards to the battlegrounds. Food and sport were arranged in brandish display. Lively music was played and he made his way to his seat to view the tournament.

After the jesters and some of the younger fighters had time to put on a show King Baile stood to address the crowd. Bit by bit the crowd hushed as more people readied themselves to listen to what the king had to say. He looked at the gathered people and warriors alike. "Welcome all! Especially you knights who were brave enough to answer my request. Not all of you are here today to seek knighthood with my kingdom but I welcome you all the same. Today is simple, show your bravery and your skill in combat. Those who prove worthy will have the option to become one of my knights, those of you who fail... Will not go home empty-handed." King Baile had arranged to give all the attending knights a going away gift of sorts, He had his blacksmith prepare various swords and spears, those who attempted to join would leave with at least one more weapon in their arsenal. "I present to you all, Knight Esmerelda and Zathar! They are the ones you must face to prove your worthiness. Zathar face our first challenger will you?"

Zathar went out to the battlefield and began fighting the first competitor. King Baile motioned for Esmeralda to sit next to him. "Are you ready young knight? I heard you have not been doing well."

Esmeralda went to the king, burying her feelings deep into her soul. She guessed that all of the kingdom had heard of her partner's death by now meaning that they would be watching her very closely now. Drawing upon her lessons, she knew that she had to be calm and serious, and show any sign of pain or sorrow because that would show weakness, which was the last thing she needed right now. Those who came to this tournament would look to her as an experienced knight and showing emotion who diminish her character. Such thoughts vanished from her head as King Baile asked her a question regarding her health.

"I am well enough, my liege," said Esmeralda, sitting next to the king, "I will be able to assist in the training of the knights you send me if that's what you mean. Though Zathar should be doing the majority of the training, he has more experience than just one mission after all."

King Baile chuckled lightly at Esmeralda. "I do not call retreating to your room for a week well enough." Having her father, Alvaro as his advisor meant he knew just about as much as the man himself. The pair talked freely with one another. It was partly what lead him to be Baile's most trusted advisor. There were no secrets between the two. There was no need for it. "Zathar is also my knight. He is very experienced at this point. He has completed many missions for me. He helped me reclaim this land from the overgrown forest it was. I will always value his experience in my court. But he is not young anymore. After all even after moping in your room all week you still beat him in a spar only this morning. You are selling yourself short. Zathar has trained you. But that doesn't mean you can't be better then him." He pointed to the ongoing battle Zathar was having with a younger knight.

The pair traded blows as the crowd cheered for there respective hopeful winner. Zathar was clearly a favorite though of many. As the first real fight of the day Zathar was putting on a show dodging blows with ease and taunting the young knight eagerly. "Zathar can only fight for another minute before he begins to tire, then he will end it. The pair watched in as the proposed minute passed, as estimated Zathar dodged another blow and struck his foe down. Striking him on the back and knocking him to the ground. The crowd cheered and Baile smiled a slim grin. "It would seem he was not the chosen knight for us." He raised a finger to silence Esmeralda from further comments. "One more thing, I am asking you to help me pick the next Knight because you have encountered our foe. You understand best of all, what we need in our future knight. Tell me Esmeralda, were you afraid when you faced the Ork and the mage?"

"To be honest, I was not the one who faced them, Jak was the one who both started and ended the encounter before I had any time to react," she replied, looking at Zathar in his recent triumph, "But if I was the one in the battle I would have been scared, they are users dark magic after all."

Esmeralda suddenly didn't want to be near the King anymore, he was making her uncomfortable with all the questions he was asking. So she looked around the tournament, looking for a face she could go speak to. This was when her eyes landed on Gregor, the man who had helped her and Jak on their journey 2 weeks ago.

"If you excuse me, my King, I've just spotted a dear friend of mine and should like to go greet them."

Not waiting for a response, Esmeralda practically ran over to Gregor and greeted him.

"Hello Gregor, how has life in hamlet been since the wolves have been eradicated."

Last edited:
Even she was nervous about his dark magic it seemed. Yet before he could comment any further she left with a comment about wanting to see a friend. He closed his mouth and watched in disdain. "Esmeralda.." He sighed it seemed she was not entirely ready for the new challenges she was to face.

Gregor was quite surprised to be approached by Esmeralda. He had come to the tournament in hopes that he could return with good news to his hamlet of the new knight that would be able to help protect their lands. "Uhh why hello lady Knight. Uhm things are better I suppose. We were sad to lose Leo but the rest of the farmers report they have no more sightings of wolves. So things are well." Gregor pointed King baile out to Esmeralda. "THe king seems to want to see you."

Esmeralda cringed at Gregor's comment about the King. He may have wanted to see her but she certainly didn't want to see him.

"I'm glad Hamlet is doing good," Esmeralda looked around for something to continue the conversation and realized she forgot something, "if you'll excuse me I seemed to have forgotten my sword in my room," And she ran off. This was too much, too much for her to handle. She needed to think for a while without any distractions.

Last edited:
King Baile watched in shock as Esmeralda simply left. He could not go after her himself as he was required to stay for the tournament. After all he had Knights to judge, yet now he was missing a crucial piece of what he needed to accurately judge new knights. He would make do with Zatahar and his advisor for now. Though if she did not return soon... He would have to consider finding a new knight.

Reaching her room, Esmeralda was relieved to find that she left her sword on her desk, unsheathed and everything. Looking in her reflection, she hardly recognized the face that stared back at her. This girl had eyes hollowed out from lack of sleep, hair disheveled, and a pale face, probably the result of malnourishment. She looked like hell and definitely still felt like it.

"You need to grow into your knighthood," a voice echoed in her mind.

Now, this is where she made an irrational decision and decided she needed to cut her hair and reject her previous maidenhood for it was holding her back. If she was to become a knight she needed to go all the way. She grabbed scissors from her desk and chopped her braid, sending a good 6 inches to the floor, and continued until it was shoulder length. Everything felt lighter, which would quicken both her mind and her movements, this change was good and took her mind off things. Chin held up she walked back to the tournament, ready to face King Baile and his ever pestering questions

King Baile tapped impatiently at the footboards as he watched Zathar fight yet another knight. Surely the old knight was growing tired and they had only found a few knights able to best even him. Still, this exercise bordered on futile if Esmeralda did not return. Surely he could hire new knights and send them out but they may not know what to expect. He did not want to lose more knights, He also wanted Esmeralda to become experienced. Losing her would be like losing Zathar all over again.

Yet to his surprise he saw the very girl returning. She looked starkly different now. She had cut her hair. He hoped it meant she was ready to get serious. He motioned for her to join him in the box. "If you are done running It is your time to shine. Relieve poor Zathar who has been fighting nonstop in your absence. Choose someone you would like to challenge who you think worthy to join you."

Esmeralda looked over the crowd taking in the potential knights, some scrawny, some fat, and some of a different species than human. The kingdom of Pineshrew did not have too many of those making them peculiar in her eyes, and one in particular. The person seemed to be an ogre, at least she fitted the description in the books Esmeralda had read and was very muscular. She seemed like the kind of knight Pineshrew would need.

Pointing at her Esmeralda informed the King of her intentions, "I would like to challenge them, my lord. You, what is your name?'

The ogre didn't seem to paying full on attention with all that was occurring. She hadn't been in the castle town, Pineshrew. It was an interesting place. There was an instant lack of creatures and critters in which she adored deeply. Though, even with her eye gazed upwards toward the birds above, at the moment she was addressed, her head shot back down and she starred right at the knight before her. "Gether Fall," she slightly bowed her head, but only just enough, even with doing such, she still managed to loom over Esmeralda. She stayed silent for a while. She wasn't familiar with this life in general or how all of this went down. However, she knew enough. "Well," she belted, put her hands on her hips, lifted herself onto her toes and fell back the ground with an absurdly loud thud, "I've never done," she gestured to everything surrounding them, "this. But it is very exciting, might I say."

Gether reached behind her self and grabbed at the cape attached to her armor. She wiggled her toes in the dirt, purposing pushing pebbles between them and pressing them together before they popped up. "I have a lot of weapons, I'm not sure which to choose, maybe you can help me." With a harrumph she brought her cape in front of her that was lined with chain links and hooked on those chain links weapon after weapon. Some small, some larger, but none that would reach to her ankles, as surely that'd be too dangerous.

"I fancy the axe the most myself, but I'm fine with not using it." She waved her hand over the cape and above her favorite weapon, then, she pivoted her elbow to point at a small blade. "A little child once brought me this one. I didn't have the heart to not bring it on my adventures. It is much too tiny for my own hands, but I do want to use it at some point, so maybe here would be best." Her hand turned to another. "This hatchet came from high in a tree. I mean, the near top of it. I can't climb trees all too well, I'm a bit heavy, if I do say so myself," she gave a proud smile before using her other arm to hit against her chest with a loud clank. "When I cut it down though, I found it at the tippy top. I don't know how it got there. I don't who would have brought or why, but it was there... so I took it. I asked, of course, to the trees around me. They all shook with agreement that it should be mine."

Both her arms extended and as she waved them to a giant sword. The largest tool of the fold. "Now this! This right here!! My friend, you won't believe where I got this. It came from the mouth of a catfish. Can you believe that? I may preference my axe, but that's because I'm a lumberjack, this here is the true gem." She let out a long breath, nodded her head at her collection and put her hands on her hips once more. "Now! Choose! I'll fight with which ever you wish for me to. This seems like fun! I'm down to have a good 'bout with you. I imagine it won't be exactly like when I fight the wild boar in the forest, but it must be fairly similar."

Esmeralda eyed the weapons Gether laid before her, taking note of each one. She considered whether or not she would like to win the battle, by giving the ogre her strongest suit she would be able to assess this girl's true abilities. This girl was energetic and seemed cocky, all good attributes of Knight, and Pineshrew desperately needed some of those. Looking up, Esmeralda remembered her partner, Jak, and her promise to him when he died. Would this be a knight he would want to train?

"You say the ax is your strongest," said Esmeralda drawing her sword and walking through the crowd, "Then I would like to see you on that. While your stories seem impressive a true knight's ability is tested not through interactions, but on the battlefield."

With the last word, Esmeralda pulled a move out of her Zathar's hat and sprung an attack, swinging her sword towards the ogre's right shoulder.

Last edited:
Gether knelt down to her cape, though before she did, she pursed her lips and gave Esmeralda a peculiar look. It was awkward with how persistent she was after just meeting Gether. No talk, no jokes, no trading of stories. If this had been a brawl in the forest, this would have been considered bad manners. Everyone begun with some kind of story, especially the most embarrassing kind. It helped break the ice in a unique way and grew a bond between foes. What better way to begin a fight?

She took up her axe and slung it against her shoulder, then immediately let out an, "Oh!" and flipped it back down so the knight before her hit the handle of the axe rather than her. Another loud clank saturated the air and then she walked forward while pressing the lumber of her axe against the sword. Her steps continued to bring on loud thuds like drums with every single foot fall. "Stories aren't ever impressive. They're words exchanged between two people. How could one be impressed just by words? Stories are made to make people laugh, cry or gasp. Words are merely words. Now, I do agree with you--" Gether swung up her axe, pushed forward her other arm, and let the blade of the sword nestle firmly in the palm of her hand. The sharpness of the metal didn't seem to simply cut her skin, her flesh wasn't nearly as accessible as a normal persons. Her fingers clamped down on the sword and she jolted it to the side and swung her axe at Esmeralda's head in a windmill-like swoop. "--Abilities are determined on the battlefield! Now you best be movin'!"

Esmeralda was shocked to find that her blade did not pierce the ogre's skin, meaning she had to rethink her strategy, Esmeralda did a barrel roll forward, dodging Gether's attacks, zoning out at the words she was spewing out.

"This is a battle," thought Esmeralda, "Not a therapy session."

She wouldn't be able to pierce the skin, that's for sure, so she had to find another way of fighting. She was now on the other side of the ogre, taking in the sight before her, and decided it would be better to remain on the defensive for a while and gather more information on their fighting style.

Gether's brows shot up as she watched the knight not only dodge her attack, but also managed to make it to the other side of her. And audible, "Ooo," vibrated from her vocal chords before she actually turned toward Esmerelda again. She lifted her axe and pointed at the knight. "That," she boomed and used her other hand to point at the others nearby then at her again, "Did you see that? That's a good knight we've got here. I didn't expect her to so easily dodge that. Then again," Gether stopped short of her words, smirked and stomped her foot down, enough to make the ground just quake enough to cause the pebbles to wiggle about. A simple reminder of her heft, "I wouldn't want to bring my axe down on your head. That would kill you. I had hoped you'd dodge."

Finally, Gether stomped forward, she lifted her axe near her head, brought her elbows nice and high. With each foot fall, she widened her strides and right as she was about to bring down her axe on the knight, she twisted her torso, brought her axe down and instead when to launch and ram her head and shoulder into Esmeralda's chest to knock her down.

Esmeralda watched as the Ogre stomped towards her, ax in hand, most likely preparing to strike again. Drawing on her knowledge of this girl's fighting style, Esmeralda took into account what she knew so far. First, she talked far too often, a trait that was most annoying to Esmeralda but apparently a real crowd-pleaser. Second, she liked to use full-body moves, which may work well for boars, but maybe not so well on humans who can dodge more easily. She assumed she was planning on doing one now as she lifted her ax to hit Esmeralda, causing her to bring up her sword to block. However, what she didn't anticipate was the girl sending a blow to her chest, causing Esmeralda to fall to the ground, sending her sword flying out of her hand to the ground.

Gether felt impact. She had partially believed that Esmeralda would have jumped out of the way in time. She was fully prepared to humiliate herself and roll forward onto the dirt. Fully prepared to turn back around. Fully prepared to keep hold of her axe. Fully prepared to block, dodge or attack again after she was fully prepared to get up once more. Yet, she hit.

The ogre rolled back her shoulders and stood up straight once more. A distinct pop sounded from her joints. "Flaberbiscuits, are you okay?" Gether asked, though, the entire while she did, her axe swung around again and pointed close to the knight on the ground. "That was quite a hit. I don't think I wanted you to take it and--" Gether paused and looked at Esmeralda's sword. "Well would ya'look at that," Gether brought back her axe and quite literally stepped over the knight and knelt down at her sword. "I don't know much about metal, but I do know when something looks nice and is sharp. I mean, ya'can't cut down a tree if the blade is too dull, ya'know!" The way the ogre spoke was surely different. She was a person who grew up where there were no fancy schools or people, it was mostly a learn as you go type of place.

Gether picked up the sword. "That's light!" she belted and craned her head to look at Esmeralda before tossing her the sword. "Yur'not done yet. I can tell your strong. That was just luck on my part, right? Come on, bring me down a peg."

Esmeralda hated that this girl was too nice, or she was just too used to Zathar, who would've made her dodge her way to back to her sword. Standing up, Esmelada swings her head to look at Gether, vision still disoriented. She wanted to be brought down a peg, then that is what would happen to her. She quickly ran at her and faked a swing to the right, instead of sweeping above her head.

As the ogre stood up against, she gestured at Esmeralda with her elbow, "Ya'hair is quite flowy by the way. It jumps a lot, it's pretty. Does that make sense? I don't know. Most ogres prime our hair with mud and twigs. Keeps it, thick? And dull." she wiggled her fingers toward her hair and just as she began to ready her weapon once more, the knight came at her. She kept her eyes following her movements, watching each footfall and saw her seemingly swing to the right. Gether tossed the axe to her other hand and lifted it to prepare to block the blade once more, "I don't think--" she began to coo, but breathed in sharply as the sword reached up to her jawbone and sliced along it. Sure, her skin wasn't an easy thing to cut, but with enough momentum and the right angle, it was sure to make her bleed.

Gether stepped back, clearly dumbfounded as the battle seemed to change. She lifted her hand to her jaw and pulled it back. Her bluish skin was in absolute contrast to the red. Ever since leaving other ogres behind, she hadn't witnessed her own blood in quite some time. Her fingers curled one-by-one into a fist as a creeping, excited smile crested her lips. She was, finally, silent. Silence was a form of respect. If words were absorbed from consuming the need to focus on a battle, then her competitor had done something right.

The ogre stomped forward, planting both her hands on the handle of her axe and rushed toward the knight. She lifted the axe near her own head and proceeded to fling her arms forward, sending the axe spinning through the air at Esmeralda. Gether continued to barrel forward, turned to her side on one foot and while the axe flew, went to knee the knight at her side.

A smirk drew across Esmeralda's face as she watched the ogre examine the blood drawn from Esmeralda's sword.

"I guess her skin can be broken," thought Esmeralda to herself, watching to see the ogre's next move.

Finally, the girl was silent, music to Esmeralda's ears as she watched Gether's face morphed from shock to joy, which puzzled Esmeralda. Then Gether did something unexpected, she chucked an ax towards Esmeralda, whose eyes widened in fear as the ax soared in the air towards her. Out of pure instinct, she barrel-rolled forward, so as to avoid the ax. Now being behind Gether, Esmeralda got off the ground in a hurry, and leaped towards Gether's back, in hopes of bringing her to the ground.

A single, "Hah!" boomed from Gether as Esmeralda managed to dodge the axe. This was getting fun. A brawl! A match! Something that the ogre had itched to do for a long a while with someone who was capable of keeping her on her toes. The ground was always just a bit more painful when one was on their toes. It made twigs and pebbles dig into the skin. A fair reminder that even an ogre can be taken down.

Gether swiveled around, and decidedly brought her elbow close to her side, then extended it outward. It probably wasn't the best choice, but it was the best idea that sunk into her mind as she had the dawning realization that she headed kept her cape of weapons on to act as a barrier. Esmeralda's sword sunk into her elbow. Erupting a flash of pain, making the ogre bite her top lip. She reached with her other hand and took hold of the blade and pushed it further into her elbow to keep it in place and prevent the knight from removing it or taking her blade back. With both hands preoccupied, the ogre kicked up her foot at Esmeralda's wrists, all the while tightening her grip on the sword.

Esmeralda's sword was heavily lodged in Gether's elbow, putting her in an interesting predicament. She could one, further injure the girl by putting her weight into the blade, causing it to slice through the rest of her skin, or find another means of retrieving a weapon. The crowds were near enough for her to retrieve some sort of weapon without breaking the rules of the duel. Taking her hands off her sword, Esmeralda turned to look at the crowd in hopes of finding some form of a sword or even a bow, and her eyes landed on a shorter man, probably here to try for a knight title, with a Longsword fastened to his hip. A little longer than she would have liked, but it would do. Esmeralda ran at him, causing the man to back up in fear.

Tackling him to the ground she simply whispered a, "Thank you," in his ear and stole his sword, ready to fight Gether again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back