• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Knights of Pine Shrew

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
"Of course Lady knight. In fact once I am done feeding them they will be ready to go wherever you may desire." Gregor returned to his work

Jak had talked to the men who had been stationed around the perimeter, they all carried a nervous edge in there voice as they were uncertain of when or if another attack would come. They all lived here in the hamlet though so the information they had was scant as to matters outside of there own town. He returned to find Esmeralda at the stables. He walked over to her quickly. "Lass what did you find out?"

Esmeralda tried to gather all the thoughts that plagued her mind. If she were, to be honest with herself she'd run far away from here rather then face those dreadful wolves again. No matter how many hours she spent with Zathar, she'd ever been prepared for this. So when Jak approached her and asked what she'd found out, she was half tempted to run.

"Esmeralda, it takes a true Knight to get back up after defeat and fight again," Zathar's words echoed in her mind.

"I spoke with Gregor," she turned to face Jak, "He told me he has an acquaintance by the name of Leo, who lives in the North, and if we to inquire of him he could tell us what he knows of the wolves. He, with many other farmers, have become overrun with wolves, and have been deeply affected by it. I do believe that if we were to find a place to start this would be it."

Jak nodded as he listened to the lass. He stroked at his beard for a moment. "Well then there's no point wasting anymore time here." He began walking towards the horses. "Gregor we make ready to ride at once. we go north.... lets put down this massacre." Jak helped Gregor for a moment as he prepared his horse. He took his horse and walked over to the room he had been staying in. He lashed his horse quickly to a post and gathered the rest of his gear with all possible haste. He donned his helmet as he returned to his steed. He stopped however and considered for a moment. He looked up. The sun was nearing mid-day. He slowed his pace and came back to Esmeralda. "Gregor how far north is this farm?"

"Bout fours hours of hard riding. It's a days journey for me to get there normally." Gregor was not so well off to have his own horses to ride when'er he needed to the luxury of being able to ride to and from the castle was a treat in of it self. "Why do you ask sir knight?"

Jak raised a hand to Gregor. "Esmeralda we could leave presently and make it to the farm before dark but face the threat of the wolves attacking in the night. We could wait till the morrow to go. What think you?"

Esmeralda's breath hitched as she considered the offer. On one hand, she would remain safe, but on the other the longer they waited the more ferocious the enemy got. So, even though all of her body protested Esmermealda stepped towards her now saddled horse.

"The sooner we get there the better. The longer we wait the worse our enemy will be. Let us leave now Jak," she replied sternly.

She shot up into the saddle and took the horse's reins

"Besides," she remarked, "even if we leave later we will still encounter the wolves at night. Grgor did say it would be a three day's journey after all. So I say the sooner the better."

Jak nodded in his agreement. "Aye let us be going then!" He mounted up on his horse and settled himself in the saddle. He was eager to exact revenge on this vicious pack.

He turned to look at Esmeralda in confusion. "Lass I think ya lost a bit to much blood there. Out ride 'ill only be four hours. We should arrive with time before the sun sets." He considered maybe staying the night after all as Esmeralda may not be all there. He brushed the thought off though as it was likely just nerves. "Get up!" He called out to his horse and gave his stead a kick. His horse brayed and began running.

What ensued was indeed a hard ride. Taking Gregors directions to heart they headed due north. This left them to ride across open farmland rather then along the main roads. He hoped it would save them time as the roads did not travel due north. Jak kept looking over to the sun willing it to stay up longer but to no avail as the hours dragged by the sun approached the tree line and the sky began to become dusky and filled with oranges. He scanned the horizon looking for the humble farm home. "Aye over there!" north east of them lay what must have been the farm house they sought. He adjusted course and before long there grueling ride was over.

Jak leapt from his horse before the steed even came to a full stop. He grabbed the reigns and looked about. "Hello is anyone in there!?" Jak looked back at Esmeralda. "What was this fellows name again?"

Before she could answer a fellow burst through the front door pitchfork in hand. "What are you doing out here? You brought horses? Oh no... No no no.. They will come for the horses. They will eat them, they just ate the last of my goats last night, surly they would have come for me tonight. WAIT! You have horses we must leave at once maybe we could make it back before... No no we wouldn't be fast enough.."

Jak had heard enough "Whoa there fella. Slow down we have come to kill the wolves. You will be alright."

Leo looked stunned. "There are more of you right? Cause there are many wolves."

"Nay it just be us, how many wolves are there?" Jak was trying to be patient but the man was clearly panicked and afraid for his life.

Leo shook his head. "I'm not certain, they are to hard to count, at least 8 but there could be 20!"

"No wolf pack has twenty members, even if they did we could handle that. Right lass?"

Esmeralda considered Jak's words. The last time they'd faced the wolves there ay have 5-6, but 20, 20 wolves would overwhelm them. They'd come back with even more injuries.

"No Jak, do be honest I don't," she replied, "We could barely get a handle over 5 or 6 wolves if we were to go up against a pack of 20 we would come back with injuries than a mere shoulder wound. The question then is, what do we do instead? Have any thoughts about that?"

"first of Las, there won't be no twenty wolves." Jak stepped closer to her. "Second we have someone to protect now so regardless of what comes we will do our job." Jas took a step back. Did she not have any sense? They needed to appear in control otherwise Leo may lose faith and desert them. "Now the most important thing is that we get ready. We need to put the horses inside the house. We need to protect them as well. You and I will wait out front here for the wolves to come. We can lure them inside where they can only come through the door one at a time. Then it won't matter how many they are we can fight at our leisure."

Jak turned to the house. "Leo, we need to board up all the other doors where are ya tools?"

Leo was begrudging but conceded the point eventually. Boarding up his house was the best bet. Tools were provided and the work began. The group worked feverishly to beat the coming darkness. It wasn't much but it would allow them to stand a chance. "Esmeralda get the horses inside. try and put them somewhere far away from the front door."

Esmeralda took the reins of her and Jak's horses and led them into the house, trying to keep her mind off of the inevitable battle ahead. Fear swelled within her entire body making her want to jump back on her horse and gallop far from hear but for whatever reason, she decided to stay. This was the livelihood she had chosen its about time she decided to rise to the challenge. Securing the horses along the back wall Esmeralda walked up to her partner.

"How else will we prepare against these wolves?" She asked

"We need to make it hard for the wolves to get to us. Drag whatever you can outside and pile it around the door. make it so the wolves cannot approach the door in one large group. We need to separate them to weaken them." Jak went and finished boarding up the back door. Leo still looked near petrified as the sun crept ever closer to the trees. The waning light would surely bring the pack again.

Leo approached Esmeralda. He spoke in hushed tones as though speaking to loud would bring the wolves sooner. "Lady Knight? I want to see my family again. Will we make it through the night?"

Esmeralda considered the man's question, for she too was scared out of her wits. Grabbing a small pile of wood from the fireplace she answered him.

"As long as you listen to what we say I can guarantee you we will survive. We weren't given knighthood just because of our looks. Have trust in us to get you back to your family. Now help me grab more materials to brace the door. The more the better."

Leo nodded and helped pile supplies by the door. "I hope you are right lady knight." The mood turned somber and before long there work was interrupted by a distant howl.

Jak burst into the room. "Get ready, It won't be long now. I'm going out to see if I can count how many there really are before they return." Jak pushed his way out the front door and weaved around the various items they had strewn in the way of the doorway. Jak stood outside and listened for the next howl. It wasn't long, he turned towards the sound of it. The woods in the west where the sun was disappearing behind the trees. "So they come from the west..." Jak stood still waiting for signs of more of them. The last sliver of sun crept behind the trees, as the shadows stretched the howls increased. It was impossible to tell by the sounds alone but he counted at least eight howls at once. They were getting closer, and quickly. He peered at the tree line waiting for the wolves to show themselves.

The wolves broke through the treeline and Jak started counting, he quickly reached twelve though he thought there was a few more in there. "This is gonna be a long night." Jak ran back and got back in the door. "At least twelve!" He drew his sword and stood ready. He was glad he had run back when he did. Only a minute passed before the first hellish hound showed it snapping maw at the door. Jak thrust his sword at it, but the hound didn't even flinch away. More wolves piled around the door. Waiting for the whole pack before they would attack. "Oh my.."

"12 Wolves," thought Esmeralda, "We are so dead."

Picking up a shovel she chucked it at Leo, "Defend yourself, we are in for a tough fight."

Running up to join Jak by the front door, Esmeralda drew out her sword and began to access the situation. Farther back she could see a wolf bigger than the rest running back and forth in the back, but not seeming to make any lunges towards the door.

She thought back to her studies about animal behaviors and remembered one important detail, most wolf packs have an alpha.

"Jak," she yelled, "Look past the wolves, to the back. I think that's the alpha. If we take that out the other wolves might back down.

The wolves crowded about the door in a mass of snarling teeth and claws. Drool and spittle flew as they inched ever closer. Yet they stayed just beyond the reach of Jak and his sword. The first move had yet to made. Jak did his best to give the wolves reason to stay back. He yelled and growled in response at any that drew close enough. However, Esmeralda called out an important detail he had missed. The alpha wolf loomed at the back, watching looking for the opening to send his pack in after. "Your right lass! Hold em' a moment." Jak stepped back away from the ferocious mass of wolves. He wished he hadn't every set he took back was ground they gained. He reached over and grabbed a pitchfork from off the wall. It looked as though the tool had likely been Leo's defense previously. Jak hefted it and got a feel for the weight of it. He stepped back into the doorway and lunged with the pitchfork nicking a wolf in the jaw. Several wolves backed up and Jak filled the scant inches they had won back.

"Quit hiding ya mangy cur!" Jak launched the pitchfork as hard as he could at the Alpha. The wolf did its best to get out of the way but the distance was too short and the wolf howled in pain as the makeshift weapon plunged into its flank. Silence reigned for a moment as the pack looked back to their alpha. Jak did not wait. He took the opportunity and stepped forward skewering another wolf on his blade.

Esmeralda watched as Jak began over the Alpha, impressed by his fearlessness, and after he yelled at her to cover him, she joined in the fight too. Slashing down, Esmeralda sent a wolf to the ground, with a serious head injury, and looked around for her second victim. She turned, doing a wolf aiming for her right shoulder and stabbed it in the chest, ending its life. This action allowed her to see Jak, ending the Alpha's life causing all the surrounding wolves to stop, waiting for their next move. As Jak moved forward to begin finishing off the rest of the pack, Esmeralda noticed the Alpha's head beginning to rise. Slowly, the Alpha stood up and pointed its snout at Jak, telling them their next target.

Esmeralda panicking at the ever-growing number of wolves surrounding Jak began to run towards him in hopes of aiding him.

Jak charged his way through the wolves single-mindedly. He kicked at the wolves that tried to stop him. He felt a wolf latch onto his leg as he ran. His armor helped stop the attack this time. All the same, Jak growled in pain before stabbing the wolf in return. He was about halfway to the Alpha who was hobbling away from him. The wolves were becoming coordinated in their efforts to stop Jak from advancing. He stopped to hack at more wolves. He looked back to the doorway. A wolf lept into the now unguarded house. "NO!" Jak had to decided. He could not save Leo and get to the Alpha. "Esmeralda help Leo!"

Esmeralda stopped in her tracks at Jak's words, for she had completely forgotten about Leo. Turning back, she noticed two wolves beginning to encircle the farmer, growling and snapping their jaws at him. Leo appeared to be frozen in the spot, clutching the shovel Esmeralda had handed him earlier for dear life. The hairs began to stand up on the back of her neck as she watched the circle begin to become slower, indicating that Leo's end was drawing nearer. Running towards him, Esmeralda silently hoped that such a thing wouldn't happen, but sometimes such hopes aren't valid. All it took was one lunge for the wolves to complete overpower Leo and begin feasting on his flesh.

Complete and utter remorse filled Esmeralda as she reached him too late. Swinging her longsword, she brought both wolves off of his body as began to fight them off, and about 30 seconds later both wolves were dead. She turned and looked back at Leo, whose features were disformed from the ferocious bites of the wolves. He was dead, and there was nothing she could do about it.

Jak did not turn back again, he had to trust his partner and that she could handle the wolves surrounding Leo, the important thing was that they drove off the remaining wolves. He hacked his way through wolves until he caught up to the injured Alpha, it received no last words no respite from his rage and was treated no differently than any other wolf that had stood in his way. It was slain with a final blow. Just like that the tide of the battle turned and the wolves began to run away.

He watched them run away, again they went into the forest directly west. "Hide while you can vermin, soon I will flush you from your nest." Jak walked back to the house and stepped inside. He was not prepared for the grisly scene he was met with. Death and massacre even the loss of innocent lives had Jak witnessed, Regardless of all the harrowing sights, he was not as calloused to the emotions that came at the loss of human life. Even with this relative stranger, he felt the need to mourn. "So we couldn't save him...." Jak hung his head in resignation. After some long moments of silence, he mustered himself.

He went and grabbed the shovel from the floor. He walked outside and began digging, leaving Esmeralda to her thoughts. 30 minutes past and a sizeable hole had been opened. He came in and brushed past Esmeralda, he scooped up the man and took him outside. He deposited him in the hole as gently as he could. "Any words for him lass?"

Esmeralda's insides felt hollow, carved out by the loss of Leo. She may not have had much of a connection with the man, but he still left an impact in her heart. His family would never see him again and there was no one to blame but herself. If only she had gotten to him sooner. She blinked back tears as Jak lowered him into the ground, and when he asked her if she had anything to say, she nodded no. Turning away, Esmeralda began to head back to the stables, where their horses were tied off, glad to see neither of them was harmed in the process. Leaning against her horse, Esmeralda let the tears she'd been holding in to come out.

Knowing nothing about Leo himself Jak was at a loss of words. Esmeralda had nothing to offer and left. He showed the man the respectful silence he deserved. He thought about the many lives he had seen lost over the years. yet the silence that filled the air did not feel like enough. Jak opened his mouth to talk but it was dry and tacky. He closed his mouth and swallowed. "what is worth fighting for in life?" His voice was already hoarse as he began he forced himself to carry on though. "Family, your land, and your freedom. In these regards Leo, you were a richer man than I. Yet as the freedom of your life was threatened." His voice failed him as tears sprang unbidden to his cheeks. "I. Could not. Defend you.." Sorrow racked him for this relatively unknown soul, yet the words had to be said. He forced himself to take up the shovel and bury the man even through his own tears.

Sweat replaced sorrow and soon enough Leo was covered. Jak grabbed a nearby post and drove it into the earth to show the burial place of the humble farmer. At least the family would have a place to mourn him. He dropped the shovel and walked over to his horse. It was still dark out but there was only one thing on his mind now. The wolves would perish. Even if it was by his hand alone.

"Esmeralda, no more time for sorrow, and I do not feel the desire to sleep. We ride through the night. Let's track these wolves." He mounted his horse and headed west to the woods. At a gallop they came to the trees quickly they had to slow down as they moved through the thicker woods, the moonlight was enough for them to see the forest floor and a short distance in front of them. Jak followed the signs of blood and wolf prints. Their journey carried through the night, it seemed that wherever the wolves called home it was deep in these woods. After miles of travel. the fatigue of the day caught up to Jak. He called a halt and got off his horse at a meadow. He cleared a spot and cleared a place to sleep. He tied his horse to a nearby tree. "feel free to sleep, the horse will alert us if the wolves come back. Just be ready." With that Jak pulled his cloak around himself and leaned against a tree to sleep.

The morning light warmed Jak's face and he squirmed in discomfort until he could ignore the light no longer. He suddenly shot up to his feet and drew his sword, He looked about but saw no threats. Only his paranoia had caused him to arise so suddenly. "Come on we need to keep going, we don't want to lose the trail." He offered no further words. He simply mounted and began along the trail again. Another hour of riding lead to a peculiar track. Wolf prints alongside other tracks. It looked like horse tracks, but that made no sense the wolves attacked everything, perhaps they began to chase a poor traveler. He dismounted and let his horse go, we go on foot from here." Surely they had to be close to the wolves home now as they were drawing near the base of a mountain. A cave seemed a likely spot for the wolves to hide. Another hour of hiking led to just such. A cave cut into the lower part of the mountain. Wolf tracks abounded her. "Last chance lass. If you are not ready to commit all the way back out now."

Esmeralda stayed quiet for most of their journey, occasionally nodding yes or no to the questions Jak was giving her. To put it simply, she was depressed. Depressed that she'd been responsible for the death of Leo, and the fact that their battle was not over yet. So when Jak asked her if she'd was ready to commit all the way she hesitated.

Was she really committed?

Sure, they had successfully fought off the wolves this time, but would they be so lucky in the future? Still, there was no point in going home, so Emerealda decided it was better to go fight wolves than face the disappointment of Zathar's when she returned without a victory.

"Yes, Jak, against my better judgment I am."

"Against your better judgment?" Jak huffed at her, "you've got your so-called judgment all twisted." Jak walked forward through the brush and towards the caves. "it's simple the bad guys are in there." Jak pointed at the cave he walked towards. "we just need to snuff 'em out." The loss of human life that these wolves had warranted was already unacceptable. This would end now. No wolf cave would stop him. He trudged inside and was soon met by the sound of growling. His sword flashed and the cave wall was stained red. More howls started to echo, they were trying to warn the other wolves. It didn't matter it was too late for them, they were cornered now.

Rage flooded his body as he pierced and slashed his way through one wolf after another, even in the dim light of the cave where the wolves should have had the advantage he pushed on. They could not pierce the mail he wore and as such he could slay them with ease and at his leisure. He kept up the assault until something froze him in his tracks. A low growling voice.

"A human has come to my abode? Nooooo... Two humans have come, Knights by the look of them. So noble.." The voice dripped with sarcasm and carried a sneer of derision. "They do not know what the lord of the forest has planned here for these woods, they are claimed by him alone." Out of the darkness clinking with bones and miss-matched pieces of armor strode a large Ork. Green skinned and long fanged. He hefted a short heavy axe and twirled it in his hands for a moment. "It would seem we have garnered king Baile's attention."

Jak spat on the ground at the sight of the Ork. "Quit your yapping ya curse of a whelp, do you always talk this much when you are faced with death and quaking in your boots?" Jak rushed at the Ork and steel met steel as ax and sword clashed. A single Ork would be a challenge in these caves but Jak was still fresh and felt strong and angry enough to fight five Orks on his own. They met blow for blow and Jak backed up slowly heading back towards the entrance of the cave. He wanted the natural light to help him as it would shine on the Ork's eyes. With a final step, the light met the eyes of the Ork and it squinted. Jak shoved his blade into its gut in the moment of hesitation it had. "You Orks are as dumb as they come, muscle does not win the fight." He twisted the blade and heard the Ork Grunt.

The battle should have been decided right there, and yet even as Jak could see the victory the Ork let a grim smile slide on his face.
"You are just as short-sighted. Fat one." Jak looked up to the source of the new voice just as a blade of pure energy stabbed into him. His insides burned where the blade plunged into him. This was no normal weapon. A mage had made this, and a powerful one at that. He felt sickness spreading through him rapidly. Bile rose in his throat. "Did you not hear him the lord of the forest has claimed these woods. They belong to him." The voice turned to Esmeralda. "Carry this message to the supposed King. Argos wants his land back. His will and dominion will not be denied. This is only the beginning. Run along now little girl."

Esmeralda was stressed, to say the least. First of all, Jak had been stabbed, and second, a certain new foe had come to face them. Now she had a choice to make, either attempt to save Jak and risk her getting stabbed as well, or taking her horse and running but risking the persecution of both her father and mentor for leaving her fellow knight behind. She decided on the former and began using the decorum skills taught to her by her father all those years ago. The Ork seemed to be intellectual which could be manipulated to save Esmeralda and Jak if Esmeralda played her cards correctly.

Raising an eyebrow, Esmeralda quizzed Ork, "Who is this Argos, you speak of and what claim does he have to this land? If I'm to give a message to King Balise I'd like to give him a little more context to the foe sent on attacking his Kingdom?"

The Mage crept closer to Jak almost appearing to float as his long flowing robes draped all the way to the ground. His long hood obscured any view of his face. The Ork that Jak had stabbed earlier was dying from his wound, yet even as blood flowed out of him he refused to drop. The Ork held onto Jak by the shoulders. Jak wanted to fight back to lash out, but his strength quickly waned and he was struggling to stay afoot now as well especially with the Ork partially holding itself up with him. The mage procured a hand from his long robes and patted Jak's head. "You do not listen well girl, I'll say it one more time sense you do not seem terribly bright. Tell the king" The word king was spat out and Jak flinched back from it as spittle flew form the mages mouth. "Argos is coming back for his lands. He will know of who you speak. Now run along, or I shall not be so merciful." The mages hand drew into a fist and another small blade of pure energy appeared in his hand. The blade was brought down into Jak's neck

Jak cried out, he would not survive such a wound. This was too much. With what strength he could draw upon he let go of the sword that he had held onto in the Ork he drew his dagger and in a flash shoved it up into the jaw of the mage. The blade slid with little resistance into the foes brain. The mage had been cocky, getting close to a foe who was still standing was foolish. As the mage fell Jak gasped the man who lay on the floor was no man at all. The hood had removed itself and reveled a satyr beneath the robes. Two long curved horns black as night protruded from the satyr's head. Something was very amiss her, but even as that revelation cascaded upon him Jak and the Ork fell to the ground. No longer able to support each other. He could feel poison coursing through him and his organs shutting down. "Esmealda," His voice croaked already weak. "Get the message back to the king. Stop for nothing!" Jak pulled at the sword still planted in the Ork. He wanted to give it to her, he wanted to tell her to take it to king Baile but his voice failed him followed by his vison and then he drifted off into eternal sleep.....

Dread filled Esmeralda as she took in the scene before her, but one thing remained prevalent in her mind, Jak was dead. This was her first mission and all she'd accomplished was the death of 4 wolves by her sword. The losses of the mission began to weigh heavy in her mind as she remembered Jak and Leo and the fact that she'd be going back to the kingdom with the news of war, rather than the success of her mission.

"This is all my fault," thought Esmeralda as she got down from her horse, "If only I hadn't hesitated, Jak would be alive and taking this message back with me."

Letting her tears flow, Esmeralda began to gather items she found in the cave, hoping that they might help the King gather more information on this Argos the mage spoke of. She ended with her partner's sword, recalling how desperate his last words to her were.

"Get the message back to the king. Stop for nothing!"

"I'm so sorry Jak, sorry that I couldn't save you, sorry that nothing I did seemed to help. I'm sorry that you were stuck with me, me the novice knight who had little to no knowledge of the actual battlefield. I wasn't strong enough or brave enough to do what is necessary for this situation, I failed. When I go back to the king I will tell him of your bravely and courage and how it greatly outweighed mine, and I will make sure you get recognized throughout Pineshrew for the great knight you truly were. I will never forget you Jak, you will always have a hold-in mind every time I walk onto the battlefield from this point on and I hope that I don't disappoint you."

::::::

Coming back to the castle had a different feel for Esmeralda this time. When she'd initially left she'd pictured coming back from her first mission with a joyous expression on her face, happy to have succeeded but this was not the case. All she had to report was bad news, making her dread her call in the throneroom with King Balie.

"Good Evening Miss," said a stable boy, "May I help you this evening."

Clearing her throat, Esmeralda replied, "Yes I believe you can, please go to the throne room and inform King Balie that Lady Ruiz has returned from her mission and needs to see him at once."

The boy's back went straighter as he realized who she was, "Oh, your Ladyship, if you don't mind me asking shouldn't we wait for Sir Obhohzler before I go and tell the king of your return."

Esmeralda's voice came out in a choked whisper, "Si-Sir Obhohzler is dead."

"Excuse me miss, what did you say."

Fighting back tears, Esmeralda put more force behind her voice, "I said, Sir Obhohzler is dead. Now, if you please boy I need you to inform the king of return. I need to see him most urgently."

"Yes miss, right away miss."

And the boy ran off.

Laughter echoed about the halls, as Alvaro and King Baile chatted idly. Breakfast had been served in the great hall. A roaring fire filled the great chimney and light music was plucked by the minstrels. "Alvero please clear the schedule today, we cannot be bogged down every day by letters and requests please tell me we can enjoy the day today. Perhaps we should go on a hunt? C'mon what do ya say?"

"My lord such would surely be entertaining, but do you really think today to be such a proper day. After all, we are still waiting for our knights to return." Alvaro was concerned for the return of his daughter, the only word they had heard so far was that she was injured and that the pair required more armor, there injuries were not so severe as to end there a mission or bring them back but it was ominous news to what should be a simple resolution.

"Alvaro, you worry to much Surely Jak and Esmerelda can handle a simple wolf problem, you are probably right perhaps they will be back with news soon." Baile tapped at his chin for a moment as he considered the challenges his advisor must be facing. "I suppose we could go on a hunt once they get back after all. Only if you promise though." He waggled a finger playfully at his trusted advisor.

"I suppose we could organize a hunt for you my lord-" Alvaro was interrupted by the boor banging open.

"My lord urgent news from lady Ruiz!" The courier called from across the hall.

Alvaro caught his breath hearing that there was any news from his daughter was a welcome relief. One could only send new if they were alive after all.

"Spit it out already!" Alvaro snapped feeling a bit to antsy for what word would come. King Baile only glanced at his strained advisor for a moment. The courier took a long breath and spilled the rest of the news.

"Lady Ruiz has returned... Alone my lord. Jak Obhozler is dead." The courier looked nervous even as only the messenger it was grievous news to bear to the king.

King Baile stood "Send her in at once!" His lip curled as now he struggled to control his temper. Jak was veteran knight. This should have been a simple quest, how could this have lead to such ruin? The fire dimmed in the mantle as Baile's emotion began to tamper with his power as well.

"My lord, please calm yourself, it is too soon for anger. We must hear out lady Ruiz first, she will have more answers surely." Alvaro had been the one with a temper only moments ago. But he needed to face this news with clarity, not frustration just as his king did. The fire resumed it's normal light and the king sat.

The courier returned to Esmeralda. "Lady Knight please come at once the king will see you now..." THe courier lead her through the courts and to the king in his hall.

King Baile sat in his chair with Alvaro standing at his side. "Tell me Knight Ruiz, how did your mission go? More importantly how did Jak die?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back