• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Into the Ruins - Exalted 3e OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Ok, time to try out the full suite. 3m on Blinding Battle Feint, 2m on Swarm-Culling Instinct. 10 dice normally, +2 from stunt. I'm going to add an 8m Excellency to make that a round 20 dice.

First roll has 2 10s, so re-rolling the two 1s for those...

Then I'm at 8 successes on the 18 non-10 dice, which is a bit below par, so reroll with Perfect Shadow Stillness for 1m, 1wp...

Oooh, awful gamble, only 3 on that reroll 😬 . Total successes 7, starting initiative 10. If there's anywhere plausible to hide, I'm also hidden unless the enemies beat my initiative (which is not all that unlikely).
Chowlett Chowlett Thank you for sharing the "play-by-play" there!

I can't follow along with all that is said, but like a sport in a foreign country, I can still get the gist of it and in doing so, enjoy it! =)

Concerning Sinuous Striking Grace...

Cost: 3m; Mins: Dexterity 2, Essence 1
Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Uniform
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: None
Time seems to slow as the Lunar acts on well-honed instinct. This Charm must be used at the start of the round. The Lunar adds (higher of Dexterity or Wits) to her Initiative to determine when she acts. If she uses her turn to attack an enemy who hasn’t acted that round, she adds a non-Charm die.

... in future combat, how do I use this Charm properly? Just call it during Join Battle rolls?

Disclaimer: This is not a complaint about O Mighty Fat Cat's current Initiative - it is me trying to figure out how this Charm works. I want to know for its use in future battles. I am trying to find out if the Charm is worth keeping or if I should ask Psychie if I can select another instead.

Math time.
Per Exalted (page 193, Initiative) Join Battle is Wits + Awareness + 3. Right?

After spending 3 motes, the value of Sinuous Striking Grace is added to this amount (see Charm above)? If so, that value is the higher of Dexterity (4) or Wits (5) to Initiative (take the Wits over the Dexterity).

So for Join Battle, O Mighty Fat Cat rolls Wits (5) + Awareness (3) +3.
Then add 5 from Sinuous Striking Grace? If so, that's 8 dice + 8.
Sounds great! Here's the part I can't wrap my head around.

If Fat Cat received an Initiative of 7 (as in our present combat) , then I somehow rolled a -1 on my 8 dice (8-1 = 7). How do you roll a -1 in Join Battle? Exalted main book says the roll can't be Botched much less subtracted from. But how else can a result of 7 take place?

Again, for the sake future combat and not this combat, where is my math wrong, please? =)

Concerning Sinuous Striking Grace...

Cost: 3m; Mins: Dexterity 2, Essence 1
Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Uniform
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: None
Time seems to slow as the Lunar acts on well-honed instinct. This Charm must be used at the start of the round. The Lunar adds (higher of Dexterity or Wits) to her Initiative to determine when she acts. If she uses her turn to attack an enemy who hasn’t acted that round, she adds a non-Charm die.

... in future combat, how do I use this Charm properly? Just call it during Join Battle rolls?

Disclaimer: This is not a complaint about O Mighty Fat Cat's current Initiative - it is me trying to figure out how this Charm works. I want to know for its use in future battles. I am trying to find out if the Charm is worth keeping or if I should ask Psychie if I can select another instead.

Math time.
Per Exalted (page 193, Initiative) Join Battle is Wits + Awareness + 3. Right?

After spending 3 motes, the value of Sinuous Striking Grace is added to this amount (see Charm above)? If so, that value is the higher of Dexterity (4) or Wits (5) to Initiative (take the Wits over the Dexterity).

So for Join Battle, O Mighty Fat Cat rolls Wits (5) + Awareness (3) +3.
Then add 5 from Sinuous Striking Grace? If so, that's 8 dice + 8.
Sounds great! Here's the part I can't wrap my head around.

If Fat Cat received an Initiative of 7 (as in our present combat) , then I somehow rolled a -1 on my 8 dice (8-1 = 7). How do you roll a -1 in Join Battle? Exalted main book says the roll can't be Botched much less subtracted from. But how else can a result of 7 take place?

Again, for the sake future combat and not this combat, where is my math wrong, please? =)
When I rolled the eight dice for your Join Battle, I only got four successes before adding in the +3 to make it a total of seven. I confess that I forgot the extra five dice for SSG. That was my mistake. After rolling the extra dice, I got another three successes. That brings you up to a ten to act, but with only seven dice for your Decisive attack pool. I'll edit the IC post to reflect your total.

This puts you up next to act with Chowlett, so you can have Fat Cat jump in and start scattering the mortals around the Celestial Lion.

Mm, what's up with the mortals? They don't have a slot on the initiative chart. I was expecting them to be a Battle Group, maybe? As it stands, the picture in my head is that they ring the Han Tha, so reaching him in melee is awkward?

Mm, what's up with the mortals? They don't have a slot on the initiative chart. I was expecting them to be a Battle Group, maybe? As it stands, the picture in my head is that they ring the Han Tha, so reaching him in melee is awkward?
Once again, I screwed up. <facepalm> Yes, the mortals should be on the initiative list as a small battle group. I confess I am not sure how to run a fight with a battle group, so I will ask for those with more knowledge than I to assist.

The mortal battle group is in a rough circle around Filial Wisdom and the Celestial Lion. Amara and Grey Stone used Monkey Leap Technique to leap over them to land in the doughnut hole of the mortals, and Aredin simply pushed his way past them to join the first two Exalts in the center. Glade can close into Medium range to make a thrown attack against Filial Wisdom.

Thanks - I'll endeavour to post later on.

I've run a sample combat against myself using a Battle Group when 3e came out, to check out the mechanics. They're actually one of the simpler things(!). Let's see if I can remember the pertinent things...

At base, they have the stats of a single soldier in them.
Then they have a Size from 1 (around a dozen combatants) through 2 (dozens), 3 (100+), 4 (hundreds) to 5 (1000+). Their Size rating is added to their attack, raw damage, soak and Magnitude (analogous to health, we'll get there).
They have a Drill rating: Poor makes them harder to order and easier to rout; Average gives +1 Defence (and none of the Poor penalties); Elite have +2 Defence and are easier to order.
We'll ignore Might (which is akin to Essence).

Battle Groups Join Battle as normal (as if they were one soldier); but their initiative never changes.
They can only make Withering attacks, with the following differences - any initiative damage dealt is not gained by the BG (it's just lost); and if the target is in Crash, the BG's damage becomes health level damage.
Both Withering and Damaging attacks on the BG do damage to their Magnitude track (withering as normal; Decisive as normal plus 1 level per 4 dice rolled). Their Magnitude is the average soldier's health levels, plus the Size bonus.
If they run out of Magnitude, they have to roll to avoid Rout; rolling the average soldier's Willpower against difficulty 1, increased for a variety of reasons the main one being how many times they've had to make the check already. If they pass, they lose a point of Size and regain all Magnitude. If they lose, they flee on their next turn.

There are a few other things - their leader(s) can make rolls to command the BG (adding dice to their action) or rally the troops (either preventing an imminent Rout or refilling Magnitude); but since these can't be flurried I don't imaging the Han Tha will be doing them.

When I rolled the eight dice for your Join Battle, I only got four successes before adding in the +3 to make it a total of seven. I confess that I forgot the extra five dice for SSG. That was my mistake. After rolling the extra dice, I got another three successes. That brings you up to a ten to act, but with only seven dice for your Decisive attack pool. I'll edit the IC post to reflect your total.

This puts you up next to act with Chowlett, so you can have Fat Cat jump in and start scattering the mortals around the Celestial Lion.
Wait, what?

1. I didn't mean to adjust O Mighty Fat Cat's initiative in this battle but perhaps in future battles. But hey! You're the boss.

2. My first thought to "I forgot the extra five dice for SSG" was "what dice? The Charm says nothing about dice."

Shouldn't it be +5 to Initiative? Just like the +3 you get after rolling Wits + Awareness? Then I got to thinking. If O Mighty Fat Cat's Join Battle were indeed Wits + Awareness + 8... that would give him a minimum of 8 on Initiative (since Initiative can't be Botched) and a maximum probable ceiling upwards of 16 (Wits 5, Awareness 3, not to mention his Specialty in Initiative)!

Yow! That's... waaay too much!

Looking at the text of the Charm again, I see you are right in that the Charm doesn't add extra dice, just extra Initiative to act earlier. Your math is right; if you roll really well, you can start out with one hell of a initiative track. That is also why that Charm doesn't add to your Decisive initiative pool. Since you were planning on engaging the mortal crowd and not the Solar, it doesn't make any difference. I'll do my best to remember that SSG adds successes and not just extra dice.

You are up, sir. What do you wish to do?

Time to talk strategy. Chowlett Chowlett Eonivar Eonivar jaydude jaydude Rykon Rykon Sherwood Sherwood . As for what O Mighty Fat Cat wants to do...

... let me see if I understand his situation.

Psychie Psychie Is the following true? Da Chonk understands that Fiial Wisdom is being possessed by an enemy he knows nothing of?

If so, this is a part-mystical, part-physical matter. Ol' Chonky has no clue how to bring Filial Wisdom back - he's hoping that his Circle does.

That leaves the cannibal tribe who presumably believes this is Filial Wisdom who now leads them. When His Chonkiness saw the body of the first Celestial Lion, he determined that only a huge sword or axe-like object could have beheaded the creature (like Filial Wisdom's great daiklave). The tribe was likely there when the possessed Filial Wisdom slew the lion.

I see 1 of 2 options here. If we start attacking Filial Wisdom, then the cannibals will definitely start attacking us to protect their leader. However, if we can convince the cannibals that Filial Wisdom is being possessed, we may not have to kill anybody at all except the spirit possessing Filial Wisdom.

In either case I recommend disarming him of his great daiklave. I can have O Mighty Fat Cat do his best to disperse the cannibals.

Thoughts?

Tbh, I'm not sure what to do. Besides stuff that might be considered spoilery re. Filial Wisdom, feeling somewhat exhausted right now.

Tbh, I'm not sure what to do. Besides stuff that might be considered spoilery re Filial Wisdom, feeling somewhat exhausted right now.
Aw Jay-bud! Maybe get some good tasty food to give you the right fuel to recover then rest up?

Mysteries like these, even in the realms of fantasy games, should not be taken on without good rest and good food. =)

"Never do business on an empty stomach." - Italian adage

Black Cat Food GIF

I am thinking that the mortal group is an undisciplined mob that will break and run if they see us kicking their bosses' butt. Typical bullies, strong when they have the advantage of numbers but weak when confronted by a strong foe.

The Celestial Lion is hurt, but now that it can shift its focus from the Solar and over to the mortals, it should be able to hold its own. However, if you are not wanting to attack Filial Wisdom directly, ravaging his followers and putting a serious scare until them might make them break and run sooner.

I am thinking that the mortal group is an undisciplined mob that will break and run if they see us kicking their bosses' butt. Typical bullies, strong when they have the advantage of numbers but weak when confronted by a strong foe.

The Celestial Lion is hurt, but now that it can shift its focus from the Solar and over to the mortals, it should be able to hold its own. However, if you are not wanting to attack Filial Wisdom directly, ravaging his followers and putting a serious scare until them might make them break and run sooner.
I have no idea what the Celestial Lion is going to do. The cannibal force, on the other hand, is a different story. I think we chance disaster if we underestimate them. Because if I were in their sandals, I would do what many a force has done in recent wars (specifically Afghanistan) when faced with superior firepower:

I would retreat and and then return with far greater numbers.

That is precisely what happened to Marcus Lutrell during his real life account in his book Lone Survivor. There is good reason why his book bears that grim title.

But perhaps more importantly, I don't want this tribe as enemies if it can be avoided. Would you want to be in their place, fighting and perhaps dying over false reasoning? A lie?

I want them to know the truth that this is not their leader, that he has been possessed by a malevolent spirit, and we are still not their enemies.

This is not going to happen if we draw Filial Wisdom's blood. Disarming him, however, loosens the spirit's fangs.

Interesting idea. I wonder how well it will work.
Thank you, Bud! I'm sure it's not the only idea out there. If someone else has a better idea then... I'm willing to listen to it? =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back