• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Into the Ruins - Exalted 3e OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Mercy has both Spirit Cutting Attack AND Ghost Eating Technique...

I, as a player, don't know much about a Han Tha. Glade, with that Lore roll, really should. What sort of challenge are we looking at here? What would Glade know about them by reputation?

Glade would know that this Han Tha is about as bad as they come. The Unconquered Sun called for his destruction back in the high First Age and has labeled him a Creature of Darkness with all the weaknesses that go along with that.

Han Tha is old and powerful, and in the past it was known to possess the body of one of the sick cult members that would come seeking power from the dark spirit in order to act and in the physical world, usually choosing as powerful of a host body as possible in order to protect itself from direct harm.

That being said, even as tough as it is, it can be beaten, and when faced with a sufficient challenge that could be deadly to it, it would abandon the host body and run to its domain and hide until the coast is clear. It's habit of running has made it a thorn in the side of the Celestial Bureaucracy for thousands of years.

Hey gang! Just got my download for the Lunars' book Many-Faced Strangers, with all the extra stuff that wouldn't fit in the Lunar main book. Purr Purr You might be able to download the PDF from Drivethrurpg.com if you want to have 238 pages of goodness for Da Chonk! Assuming that Psychie will allow it, of course.

Hey gang! Just got my download for the Lunars' book Many-Faced Strangers, with all the extra stuff that wouldn't fit in the Lunar main book. Purr Purr You might be able to download the PDF from Drivethrurpg.com if you want to have 238 pages of goodness for Da Chonk! Assuming that Psychie will allow it, of course.
Whoa! Thanks for the heads-up, Bud! First time I've even heard of this book! =)

Whoa! Thanks for the heads-up, Bud! First time I've even heard of this book! =)
Sherwood Sherwood If it is on DriveThruRPG, I can't find it.

Edit: Ah. It's a Kickstarter and you were likely in on it (I had no idea it existed). I'll wait until DriveThruRPG gets it! =)

It is a lot to take in. It will be a while before I can fully assimilate the volume of data.

Ok everyone, Join Battle time!

Everyone gets a two dice bonus on your roll for excellent role playing. Purr Purr what is your JB pool and I'll roll it for you.
My Join Battle = 9. The following may add bonuses (or they may not; I'm not sure!):

O Mighty Fat Cat has a Specialty for Initiative in Awareness.
Charmed Existence (take away a single 1).
I would like to use the following Charm if I'm allowed to?
Cost: 3m; Mins: Dexterity 2, Essence 1
Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Uniform
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: None
Time seems to slow as the Lunar acts on well-honed instinct. This Charm must be used at the start of the round. The Lunar adds (higher of Dexterity or Wits) to her Initiative to determine when she acts. If she uses her turn to attack an enemy who hasn’t acted that round, she adds a non-Charm die.

NOTE: O Mighty Fat Cat has a Wits of 5.

Also, how are we on Motes? O Mighty Fat Cat spent 8 Motes to help get past the glowing magical gate. Since our time with Luna and afterward, have we gotten any of that back? Psychie Psychie

My Join Battle = 9. The following may add bonuses (or they may not; I'm not sure!):

O Mighty Fat Cat has a Specialty for Initiative in Awareness.
Charmed Existence (take away a single 1).
I would like to use the following Charm if I'm allowed to?
Cost: 3m; Mins: Dexterity 2, Essence 1
Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Uniform
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: None
Time seems to slow as the Lunar acts on well-honed instinct. This Charm must be used at the start of the round. The Lunar adds (higher of Dexterity or Wits) to her Initiative to determine when she acts. If she uses her turn to attack an enemy who hasn’t acted that round, she adds a non-Charm die.

NOTE: O Mighty Fat Cat has a Wits of 5.

Also, how are we on Motes? O Mighty Fat Cat spent 8 Motes to help get past the glowing magical gate. Since our time with Luna and afterward, have we gotten any of that back? Psychie Psychie
Just so I'm clear: is the 9 on your Join Battle roll with the two bonus dice or without them? And is that counting the Specialty? I don't want to short you.

Regarding motes, everyone is at full starting out.

Sinuous Striking Grace adds to your total to see when you act, but it doesn't add to your initiative pool for determining Decisive damage. It just helps to let you go before you normally would.

Hey everyone. Just letting everybody know that if you are interested in some more Exalted action in 3rd Edition, Random Word has an interest check up for a game he's setting up. It's the Across the Eight Directions one.

Just so I'm clear: is the 9 on your Join Battle roll with the two bonus dice or without them? And is that counting the Specialty? I don't want to short you.
Psychie Psychie Uh, I believe without on both counts? 9 is the base Join Battle number written on his sheet as provided by the help I received here. Thanks for not shorting me. =)

Regarding motes, everyone is at full starting out.
Thanks!

Sinuous Striking Grace adds to your total to see when you act, but it doesn't add to your initiative pool for determining Decisive damage. It just helps to let you go before you normally would.
I'll take your word for it because this system continues to confuse the heck out of me.

Why doesn't it add to Decisive damage (I trust you, of course, but I don't see this written anywhere in the Charm's description)? One of the major reasons I picked Sinuous Striking Grace was to go with his martial art Charm which does additional Decisive damage.

How can I tell this when trying to select future Charms?

Hey everyone. Just letting everybody know that if you are interested in some more Exalted action in 3rd Edition, Random Word has an interest check up for a game he's setting up. It's the Across the Eight Directions one.
Thanks! I couldn't join it if I wanted to. But yeah, thanks all the same! =)

I believe without on both counts? 9 is the base Join Battle number written on his sheet as provided by the help I received here. Thanks for not shorting me. =)
So you have a modified pool of 12 dice. Gotcha! I'll have a roll up shortly.
Why doesn't it add to Decisive damage (I trust you, of course, but I don't see this written anywhere in the Charm's description)? One of the major reasons I picked Sinuous Striking Grace was to go with his martial art Charm which does additional Decisive damage.
This question had come up before and it was pointed out that there are two important things to take away from this Charm. First, it says in the text of the Charm:
The Lunar adds (higher of Dexterity or Wits) to her Initiative to determine when she acts.
It specifically says in its text that it adds to your initiative to act, not to your dice.

Second, if it did add to your pool of decisive dice, it would be cheaper than the Excellency at adding five dice for only three motes, making it very cheap in comparison.

I am the person that brought this up in another game a while back, and it was Random Word Random Word that helped to set me straight on the wording of the Charm and the mote cost. He's even more of an Exalted guru then I am.

It specifically says in its text that it adds to your initiative to act, not to your dice.

Second, if it did add to your pool of decisive dice, it would be cheaper than the Excellency at adding five dice for only three motes, making it very cheap in comparison.
One day I will understand this game.

Today is not that day!

Hah! =)

Thanks for the explanations, good Psychie! =)

I am the person that brought this up in another game a while back, and it was Random Word Random Word that helped to set me straight on the wording of the Charm and the mote cost. He's even more of an Exalted guru then I am.
All I can do is take your words on it (which is very easy to do given who you are to me). The more I look into Exalted, the weirder it gets! =)

Ooh, order-of-operations question Psychie Psychie . I'll be using Blinding Battle Feint (supplemental) to roll Dex+Stealth to Join Battle, as usual; and I have Perfect Shadow Stillness (reflexive) to allow me to reroll that (keeping 10s). So far, this is what I've been doing all game.

I now also have the Thrown charm Swarm-Culling Instinct (supplemental), which re-rolls a non-success on Join Battle for every 10 in the roll and is explicitly allowed to combo with other JB charms that aren't Archery, Brawl or Melee.

Assuming I use all the charms, which of Perfect Shadow Stillness and Swarm-Culling Instinct happens first?

(I could end up spending 19m, 1wp on Join Battle here. And frankly, it might be worth it)

Lets not go too crazy here, and since I am not 100% positive on just what order it will go, I will say that the Swarm-Culling Instinct will apply only on the first roll, then you can apply Perfect Shadow Stillness to do the reroll. That will still net you a bunch of successes on your JB roll.

Purr Purr I rolled my dice and you have seven successes on your Join Battle roll.

Not bad. Only Aredin and Amara are over you so far, each with 8 on the initiative order.
I don't mean to compare O Mighty Fat Cat's roll with others in the Circle - I just wanted to know if 7 Successes in Exalted was anything special. It sure was back in Werewolf: The Apocalypse! But the rules are clearly different here. =)

It is not spectacularly awesome, but it is a good, solid roll. Using other Charms and Excellencies can add to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back