• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Into the Ruins - Exalted 3e OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
I don't know if anyone else had seen this, but the Abyssals kickstarter has been launched on indiegogo.com. I plan on jumping into this once I get my paycheck next Friday!

Last edited:
Still a little thrown off by them moving off of kickstarter all of a sudden.

I guess Exigents was outside KS, but Sidereals wasn't if I recall correctly.

Still a little thrown off by them moving off of kickstarter all of a sudden.

I guess Exigents was outside KS, but Sidereals wasn't if I recall correctly.
Well, I am part of the Sidereals Kickstarter but I know nothing of the Exigents and Abyssals.

Abyssals are the dark mirrors to the Solar Exalted, their powers twisted and corrupted by the power of the Underworld. Most serve the Deathlords in their efforts to bring the peace of the grave to all Creation, but a few have gone rogue and work to fulfill their own agendas.

Abyssals are the dark mirrors to the Solar Exalted, their powers twisted and corrupted by the power of the Underworld. Most serve the Deathlords in their efforts to bring the peace of the grave to all Creation, but a few have gone rogue and work to fulfill their own agendas.
Yeah. I think I remember back when you guys were first starting your Abyssals game and I bowed out after not really relating to the Abyssals. I still don't think I understand them (or the reason to play them), but I'm very enthused that you guys are all still having fun!

The Sidereals are a different story. They seem a little closer to something I can relate to, especially with their penchant for arts/martial arts. I never tire of that subject! =)

Sometimes it can be fun to play the tragic hero, or even the dark villain. It is not for everyone, but the Abyssals did make for some great adversaries.

Sometimes it can be fun to play the tragic hero, or even the dark villain. It is not for everyone, but the Abyssals did make for some great adversaries.
Yeah. I'm sure there must be some jewels glittering inside the idea of the Abyssals that I'm failing to see. I remember the idea of Alignment getting in the way. I don't PC in evil campaigns and I think I received the impression that playing an Abyssal was a little too close to evil for my comfort is all.

The Sidereals... seem more... chaotic? Kind of 1st Edition D&D Elven in some ways? I don't have a solid grasp on them either.

I played Sidereals in 1e. Lot of fun. Lot of fun. Firstly, they (should) know what's going on. They were there when the important events of history went down, and they were the ones pulling the strings.

On top of which, their power suite is heavily tied to controlling fate - charms that stick in my mind include:
* World-Shaping Artistic Vision - under circumstances about as broad as a specialty, but cross skills, you get a success on 6s and up. Can be taken multiple times, and stacks to give 5s or 4s.
* Avoidance Kata - if you realise shortly after entering a new situation that you don't want to be there, you can arrange it so that you never were. Reality retcons around you.
* Destiny Knitting Entanglement - leave your equipment somewhere, and arrange that if you find you need it, it will reach you at exactly the opportune moment.

They could also do things with the constellations that govern each ability - both reading the future in them, and manipulating people or places as regards them to be particularly auspicious or ill-favoured.

I'm not in the Kickstarter, but I'd love to see what 3e's done with them.

Psychie Psychie - what shape is the wall of blades? Does it go straight up, or form a dome over the tomb? Is there a safe space beyond it, or does it go right to the door?

Psychie Psychie - what shape is the wall of blades? Does it go straight up, or form a dome over the tomb? Is there a safe space beyond it, or does it go right to the door?
It forms a dome of sharp blades over the metal of the building proper. As far as you can see, there is no space around the tomb where the blades will not be able to reach you.

Purr Purr you possess a very handy hearthstone that can heal damage at a vastly accelerated pace. If you take a hit, each level of lethal damage is healed in one hour. So if you wish to try to test Sherwood's theory and it turns out to be wrong and you are struck, it will heal in a few hours.

Purr Purr you possess a very handy hearthstone that can heal damage at a vastly accelerated pace. If you take a hit, each level of lethal damage is healed in one hour. So if you wish to try to test Sherwood's theory and it turns out to be wrong and you are struck, it will heal in a few hours.
Psychie Psychie Yes, indeed! I was taking into consideration the Gem of Incomparable Wellness stacked with O Mighty Fat Cat's two Charms-worth of Ox-Body Technique.

Plus, I am also seriously considering buying this self-healing Charm. Note: Da Chonk has a Stamina of 5 and fully understands that he is the "party's ride." They are, with at least one exception with Mercy and her Demon Wasp, stuck as a Circle without O Mighty Fat Cat. So, a "tough self-healing ride" is something Da Chonk and I really like the sound of!

Bear Sleep Technique (p. 256, Lunars)
Cost: 10m; Mins: Stamina 2, Essence 1
Type: Simple
Keywords: None
Duration: Indefinite
Prerequisite Charms: Ox-Body Technique

Withdrawing into herself, the Lunar enters a rejuvenating hibernation. The rate at which she heals naturally (Exalted, p. 173) is multiplied by (Essence + Stamina). Time spent hibernating doesn’t count toward the maximum she can go without food or water (Exalted, p. 232). The Lunar may choose to hibernate until she’s fully healed from all damage, or for a set period of time. She isn’t completely unaware of her surroundings while hibernating, and can roll to detect external stimuli with (Perception + Awareness) at a −4 penalty, which can’t be enhanced by non-Excellency magic. Some stimuli, like being slapped across the face or stabbed, are obvious enough to detect without rolling. Detecting external stimuli lets the Lunar end this Charm prematurely.

With Stamina 5, the Lunar doesn’t age while hibernating.

EDIT: Further thoughts. This increases the Lunar's ability to heal by SEVEN (Essence + Stamina)! Wow! Does this Charm stack with the Gem of Incomparable Wellness? If so, is this a waste of XP or should I get it so the party's ride can "repair itself" as soon as Lunarly possible?

I really don't want to see my character go down in some fight and then the party has a really hard time escaping because their Lunar is out of action. If I can cut down on that time, I'd like to! But if O Mighty Fat Cat is already covered well in that regard, then hey! I'll get something else with that precious XP.

Last edited:
Psychie Psychie Concerning the Brilliant Manifold, is it possible to make the armor more... "Lunar-friendly?" I remember asking if this artifact gave its first Charm to Lunars as well as Sidereals and Solars. I believe you mentioned it did not because the description stated only Sidereals and Solars? This makes me think that maybe Sidereals and Solars gain additional benefits from Moonsilver items as Lunars do (which is perhaps yet another reason Solars and not Lunars are at the top of the food chain). Heh!

Might there be a way that O Mighty Fat Cat could gain the same benefit the Sidereals and Solars get by making the armor more "Lunar-friendly?" Besides it being made of Moonsilver, what else could he do? Or is he stuck with it?

Yes, this is me trying to get around having to pay that 10 XP (we don't get XP often! Best to save and spend wisely!). I'm also trying to make the most out of this artifact that genuinely "attunes itself" to the "purpose" of its owner! How cool is that for something you wear?

EDIT: Further thoughts. This increases the Lunar's ability to heal by SEVEN (Essence + Stamina)! Wow! Does this Charm stack with the Gem of Incomparable Wellness? If so, is this a waste of XP or should I get it so the party's ride can "repair itself" as soon as Lunarly possible?
I am going to rule that the Charms' effects do not apply to increase the speed of healing from the hearthstone. That doesn't mean you can't use both at once to really speed your recovery, or save your mores and just use the gemstone.
Psychie Psychie Concerning the Brilliant Manifold, is it possible to make the armor more... "Lunar-friendly?" I remember asking if this artifact gave its first Charm to Lunars as well as Sidereals and Solars. I believe you mentioned it did not because the description stated only Sidereals and Solars? This makes me think that maybe Sidereals and Solars gain additional benefits from Moonsilver items as Lunars do (which is perhaps yet another reason Solars and not Lunars are at the top of the food chain). Heh!

Might there be a way that O Mighty Fat Cat could gain the same benefit the Sidereals and Solars get by making the armor more "Lunar-friendly?" Besides it being made of Moonsilver, what else could he do? Or is he stuck with it?

Yes, this is me trying to get around having to pay that 10 XP (we don't get XP often! Best to save and spend wisely!). I'm also trying to make the most out of this artifact that genuinely "attunes itself" to the "purpose" of its owner! How cool is that for something you wear?
Sorry, but if you want that evocation you'll have to buy it.

I am going to rule that the Charms' effects do not apply to increase the speed of healing from the hearthstone. That doesn't mean you can't use both at once to really speed your recovery, or save your mores and just use the gemstone.
Psychie Psychie That's not what I meant. I meant do the Charm and the gem work together or does Da Chonk have to choose one or the other to heal from?

Heck, speed-healing from the Gem means he'd be healing one level of lethal damage every 8 1/2 minutes! That's got to be overkill! No way! =)

Do you think Da Chonk ought to invest in this Charm or... what? I mean, I don't know how fast the Solars in our Circle heal. Without the Charm, will I be holding anyone up given how many Health Levels Da Chonk seems to have with his Ox-Body times two? Is just having the Gem good enough or do I need the Charm too?

Sorry, but if you want that evocation you'll have to buy it.
No worries!

Is there anything else O Mighty Fat Cat has to do in order to... "merge" with the artifact? Any rules we haven't covered or additional costs I haven't yet paid?

Psychie Psychie That's not what I meant. I meant do the Charm and the gem work together or does Da Chonk have to choose one or the other to heal from?

Heck, speed-healing from the Gem means he'd be healing one level of lethal damage every 8 1/2 minutes! That's got to be overkill! No way! =)

Do you think Da Chonk ought to invest in this Charm or... what? I mean, I don't know how fast the Solars in our Circle heal. Without the Charm, will I be holding anyone up given how many Health Levels Da Chonk seems to have with his Ox-Body times two? Is just having the Gem good enough or do I need the Charm too?

No worries!

Is there anything else O Mighty Fat Cat has to do in order to... "merge" with the artifact? Any rules we haven't covered or additional costs I haven't yet paid?
Ah, I see what you were asking. Yes, if you spend the motes on the Charm, I'll let you use its healing along with that hearthstone to be able to recover from even the most severe trauma in a matter of a few hours instead of taking days to do so.

I have to double check in that book for the details, but I do know that all Exalt types heal much faster than mortals do, but it still takes a few days to recover lethal or aggravated damage with bashing taking a bit less time. That being said, if Fat Cat gets mauled to the point of near death, he will be able to bounce back to full health in the matter of a day or two instead of taking weeks of rest.

Ah, I see what you were asking. Yes, if you spend the motes on the Charm, I'll let you use its healing along with that hearthstone to be able to recover from even the most severe trauma in a matter of a few hours instead of taking days to do so.

I have to double check in that book for the details, but I do know that all Exalt types heal much faster than mortals do, but it still takes a few days to recover lethal or aggravated damage with bashing taking a bit less time. That being said, if Fat Cat gets mauled to the point of near death, he will be able to bounce back to full health in the matter of a day or two instead of taking weeks of rest.
Hey! That sounds like a worthwhile investment to me!

Also, if I'm reading things right, his Ever-Wary Fox Technique will function when he is sleeping and once I figure out how Brilliant Manifold works (which I'm probably overthinking), he will be very hard to find with mundane senses (which might come in handy).

Yes? Or have I screwed up again somewhere? I find Exalted hard to follow. Once I get in as many years as you guys and gals have, I'll be just fine. But until then it's...

Confused Tonight Show GIF

Hah!

Lol You are doing fine with the complexity of the game system. I'll double check the various Charms and let you know what I will rule on that.

Lol You are doing fine with the complexity of the game system. I'll double check the various Charms and let you know what I will rule on that.
I am? Great! Nearly every time I read the rules for too long, I just start getting so darned lost. Exalted is one of two games I can only read so much of before my brain starts to hurt (I am NOT exaggerating). HERO: Champions is the other. =)

My only... can't call it a problem... more like a wonderment... is I don't understand what O Mighty Fat Cat is compared to what we're up against and how able he is compared to the Solars in the Circle. Because Solars are naturally at the top of the food chain (above Abyssals, Sidereals, and all the rest, Lunars included), I keep thinking I'm like a 3rd level D&D character playing alongside a bunch of 5th or 6th level characters and doomed never to catch up.

This isn't envy; just Da Chonk wanting to pull his own weight in the party.

Sure, I understand that Lunars have vastly different powers than Solars. I just... don't know what else I can be doing as O Mighty Fat Cat to help him keep up. Is he tough enough? Is he combat-capable enough? Should I build him up in other directions like Wits or Charisma?

Because I don't know the game, I'm not sure where to go - hence my desire to make every XP count.

A lot of it depends on what kind of focus you want for your character. You can spend your points to be an excellent generalist, with your fingers in a lot of pies and in a fight you can get along ok, but a combat focused character will come out ahead of you.

Also, in 3e, the old adage of 'the Solar is the very best at everything' is not as prominent as it was in second edition. Lunars have some Charms that can wipe the floor with a Solar if you put your effort into being the combat monster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back