• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy [ Interest Check ] Mononoke&Makina「 A Beautiful Apocalypse in Feudal Japan 」

Blu

ᴏɴʟʏ ᴄᴏʟᴏʀꜱ ʟᴇꜰᴛ ᴀʟɪᴠᴇ.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
RPBanner.png

「 SAMURAI × MACHINE GIRL × LUSH APOCALYPSE × FANTASY SCI-FI 」

PREMISE

Hakurei is a destitute turnip farmer living at the edge of one of Japan's last remaining towns.

One day, he discovers an unusual katana in a shallow stream and meets an equally odd girl named Shirayuki—the sword's owner—and her kitsune companion, Momo. He soon realizes that she is a Makina: a machine human possessing extraordinary powers.

She is seeking a potential partner to appoint as her Samurai but Hakurei tricks her into being sold to a local bandit gang that was threatening his livelihood. Because of her damaged 'Ghost'—a Makina's operating core—Shirayuki is helpless to fight back.

Meanwhile, as he thinks on it, Hakurei finds it fascinating that she displayed so much personality for a Makina and his guilt overwhelms him. Resolved to help someone other than himself, he sets off to the bandits' lair to rescue her. However, several individuals have arrived in town, also looking for the 'snow-haired Makina with a dripping sword'.

Thus begins this tale of those fighting to rid the world of a verdant calamity and to uncover the truth of the machine humans that lie at the heart of it all.

YOMI'S CURSE

In the year 1512, Japan was victim to an unexplainable phenomenon. Like an indescribable tsunami, overgrowths of vegetation struck in waves upon the land, starting at the northernmost shores. This dramatically altered the surface of the country and consumed every piece of human civilization in its path. It was unstoppable and inevitable. With it also came the arrival of countless mechanical monsters seemingly hellbent on humanity's destruction as well. The people of Japan believe this to be Yomi—the land of the dead—crossing into the living realm and the metal fiends are a portent of Izanami's revenge; now referred to as Yomi Demons.

As the plague spread further inland, the shogunate began waging wars for control of land as fiercely as they could, but ultimately was pushed as far south as possible where the curse has yet to fester. A little more than a century has passed and now in the current year of 1620, roughly 65 to 70% of Japan is covered in living forests and fields. Even areas of bitter snow and barren rock are affected although their climates remain mostly unchanged. Meanwhile the country is entirely isolated from the rest of the world. The Kurakawa shogunate now governs what remains with the emperor simply acting as a figurehead in the safety of a relocated Kyoto.

The lands beyond the dividing line can only support nomadic clans or small human settlements, but even they eventually fall as the flora never ceases its growth.

SAMURAI & MAKINA

The Machina—misconstrued as 'Makina' in the Japanese language—or also referred to as 'machine humans' arrived in Japan at the same time as Yomi's Curse, and is commonly believed to have done so in the same fashion as the demons, whatever form that may take. Consequently, they were initially viewed as harbingers of Yomi's destructive force and were called 'Mononoke' at the time. That is until the discovery of the first 'sleeping' Makina in 1556.

During this period, all samurai were stripped of their title by the shogun enraged by the ineffectiveness of his warriors against the demons. Then, a soldier named Taisho Kurakawa came upon a strange white pod in a forest. When he touched it, a bright blue light shone and out came a machine human who told him they are bonded as 'master and Machina'. The being had knowledge of things otherworldly to the soldier but that mattered not as it granted him impossible gifts of strength and magic, enough so to combat Yomi's forces.

In time, Taisho would become the shogun of a new age—later succeeded by his grandson and current shogun, Byakuya—and when a person is 'bonded' with a Makina: they inherit the title of Samurai in hopes that they will take up arms against the threat Japan still faces to this day.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

« Ⅰ »
This is an Anime-style roleplay. As such, all face claims should be in the appropriate art style.
« Ⅱ »
This roleplay is primarily focused on telling a story with a small cast. I'm looking for about 3~4 players to fill the spots.
« Ⅲ »
While the focus of the roleplay is on samurai and Makina, you are free to make another type of character as long as it does not break the lore. Applying for a samurai means you'll have to fill out a secondary sheet for your partner Makina.
« Ⅳ »
Because of the Anime-nature of this roleplay, your Makina's powers can be written in a wide variety of ways. Be creative with it! Technically, their powers are highly advanced forms of tech/science but for the purposes of the setting, they may as well be treated and presented like magic.
« Ⅴ »
Decided that you're interested? Or want to know more about the world? Check out the lore thread here: Mononoke&Makina Archives

「 Questions, comments, or concerns? Please let me know down below. Thank you! 」

Mononoke-Makina-Logo.png

Last edited:
Could you describe the 'main plot' roles you're looking for us to fill a bit more?

Hey Saurosian! There's nothing extra to them. You create whatever character you feel like. When I say 'role', it's just another way of referring to those spots.

Hey Saurosian! There's nothing extra to them. You create whatever character you feel like. When I say 'role', it's just another way of referring to those spots.
Let me just elaborate on what I was unclear about:
The main cast will follow the main story outlined in the 'Premise' and beyond. I'm looking for about 3~4 players to fill the main cast roles.
So if the main cast is following the story outlined in the 'Premise', I was guessing that they were the 'several individuals' who have arrived in town seeking the Makina. Which I assumed meant they would need to have some motivation to look for this Makina.

Maybe I misinterpreted that and the main roles can fill a broader spectrum than what I had presumed?

So if the main cast is following the story outlined in the 'Premise', I was guessing that they were the 'several individuals' who have arrived in town seeking the Makina. Which I assumed meant they would need to have some motivation to look for this Makina.

Maybe I misinterpreted that and the main roles can fill a broader spectrum than what I had presumed?

Ahh my bad. That point was meant to be explained on the character sheet but since you asked here, I'll give an example. If your character is a samurai, your own Makina would have instructed you to seek out this one because of some data they found in their memory.

Ahh my bad. That point was meant to be explained on the character sheet but since you asked here, I'll give an example. If your character is a samurai, your own Makina would have instructed you to seek out this one because of some data they found in their memory.
Ah, okay. And so, if they weren't a samurai, they would need to have some other reason to be seeking out the Makina?

Ah, okay. And so, if they weren't a samurai, they would need to have some other reason to be seeking out the Makina?

Correct, and, in that case, the reason is more open to interpretation or even purely coincidental.

in terms of the main roles, is it expected for two people to make two pairs (human-makina) or more so a mismatch with, say, one independent maki, a samurai with two sheets and someone completely unrelated?

in terms of the main roles, is it expected for two people to make two pairs (human-makina) or more so a mismatch with, say, one independent maki, a samurai with two sheets and someone completely unrelated?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you're asking if the roles require specific combinations of characters? If so, no, anyone applying can make whatever they like.

Also just as a general fyi, I got rid of the main role/freeform role stuff.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you're asking if the roles require specific combinations of characters? If so, no, anyone applying can make whatever they like.

Also just as a general fyi, I got rid of the main role/freeform role stuff.
oh, yeah. didn't notice, apologies.
gotcha, though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back