• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Incarnate OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
lol loves that dynamic. And now i feel worse for Comet... just standing there. Watching as his human chats away with another champion. Not him. And not understanding what they're saying. Then he just goes and tries to hide under a leaf in shame. But he's too big. And he can still see them talking to that OTHER incarnate. Not him... WHYYYY?! UGHS! TEARS FALLING!

There's another one to replace him?!?! TEARS FROM OTHER EYE... cuz DYIIINGGGG

lol
Haha! I love the abusive dynamic with Comet. Wumsy would definitely not like Comet at all.

lol loves that dynamic. And now i feel worse for Comet... just standing there. Watching as his human chats away with another champion. Not him. And not understanding what they're saying. Then he just goes and tries to hide under a leaf in shame. But he's too big. And he can still see them talking to that OTHER incarnate. Not him... WHYYYY?! UGHS! TEARS FALLING!

There's another one to replace him?!?! TEARS FROM OTHER EYE... cuz DYIIINGGGG

lol
My character will have hugs for Comet, don't worry xD Probably, at least. Definitely if they seem miserable. I may be projecting my nearly-toxic empathy onto the character ^^;
Ooh. Wumsy may find your champion interesting, if they are intelligent. Wumsy doesn't care much for the lesser intelligent incarnates. They look down on them. Or, rather, they simply don't care.
While mine will probably find Wumsy to be a hoot, but would likely play along with them if it gets things done ^^

My character will have hugs for Comet, don't worry xD Probably, at least. Definitely if they seem miserable. I may be projecting my nearly-toxic empathy onto the character ^^;

While mine will probably find Wumsy to be a hoot, but would likely play along with them if it gets things done ^^
Oh, Dayquan would also show sympathy towards Comet. He's a very kind person. He also happens to be cowardly, but somehow ends up appearing outwardly heroic to others. That causes them to rely on him more, further increasing his panic and anxiety on things.

It's kind of funny. Comet it tortured outwardly. Dayquan is tortured internally.

K and like disclaimer here to all just seeing the chat pile up:

Only ONE charrie has been accepted. We just talkin it up about theoreticals lol

K and like disclaimer here to all just seeing the chat pile up:

Only ONE charrie has been accepted. We just talkin it up about theoreticals lol
Unfortunately, that's how it goes sometime in group RPs. Luckily, though, most of this chat in nonconsequential. I just hope it doesn't discourage anyone. D:

Name: Emery Theodore Harlen
Sexuality: demisexual
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 119 lbs
Physical appearance:
0219252a5cb14d4720714cbd7b833841.jpg
Clothing: Emery doesn't put much thought into clothes; he usually throws on a t-shirt and some jeans, maybe a jacket if there's a breeze.
Personality: He's soft with a morbid streak. Quiet but theatrical. Most see and dismiss him because he's really not that brilliant up front. He's known for being normal. Up until his death, Emery's greatest problems were disagreeing with his family on certain important things (such as his school of choice, his occupation of choice, his hobbies of choice) and working two side jobs on top of his courses in a desperate effort to pay the cost of living. Emery's a dreamer, a worker, not at all a fighter. Life has taught him that he doesn't stand a chance when it comes to physical battles; he's much better off smiling through the pain and looking the other way. The closest he gets to a brawl these days is when his temper boils over into a sharp string of words. Emery's dream prior to his death was to help kids like him out of tough situations, teach them that it's fine to not be strong, that not everyone was out to get them. Unfortunately, the world disapproved.
Nationality: English
Cause of death: hit by a rage driver whilst biking home from work

Armour: left blank for now
Incarnate ability:
[1] a very uncanny sense of when things may pose a danger to him (which is most things, not that he'd be able to act on it) [actually enhanced senses that are not being processed in his mind; at this point just extra anxiety — eventually develops into emotional empathy] {passive ability, only when incarnate out}
[2] sensory and emotional manipulation (can make others feel pain, sadness, intense itchiness, as if being burnt alive, etc.) [must see the target; works better when interacting with target — can work with multiple targets with drawback of messy results and friendly fire; range of 50 ft. with strongest effects with more intent, less distance, and when Emery has personally experienced projected emotion] {active ability, ability highly amplified with incarnate out}
Preferred weapons/combat role: has no skill with weapons whatsoever; most likely support role

Incarnate name: Eudocia ("Elias" until it decides to speak)
Incarnate physical appearance:
hyun-suk-lee-asset.jpg
Incarnate height: 8'8"
Incarnate weight: 898 lbs
Incarnate personality: It is mad. It does not want to be here. It is intelligent enough to speak; however, it refuses to do so. It will growl and snarl at anyone who comes close. That includes Emery. It is a firm believer of 'respect must be earned' and it will gleefully allow its own teammates to suffer even to its own detriment until it decides they are worth helping. It cycles between considering itself superior and pretending so to hide its feelings of wrongness and inadequacy. Blood, fear, etc. empowers it.
Incarnate abilities: can make others very, very afraid of it; can inflict intense negative emotion and sensory experience upon multiple targets (based on range, max 70 ft.) [can but will refuse to differentiate between target and ally; allies will still feel a significantly weaker version of the negative emotion but may build up tolerance]; has sharp claws, teeth, poisonous blood and saliva (will cause blisters upon touch), and thick skin; can communicate with Emery through projected emotion and not-quite-words [as story and skill progresses, red markings on "wings" may cause hallucinogenic effects when stared at by strangers]
Incarnate preferred combat role: front line, support

Attack: 4
Defense: 3
Speed: 2
Energy: 1
Intelligence: 5
This character is so interesting! I can see a pretty interesting dynamic with Dayquan and Wumsy. Such as Emery being able to see the fear and cowardice within Dayquan. And Wumsy has a strange relationship with emotions. He understands them, but doesn't actively feel them. At least not in the sense that his emotions would have any effect on his actions. If he feels something, he observes, analyzes and catalogues the emotion. So I imagine Wumsy and Elias will have a funny relationship. Wumsy will definitely like Elias, since Elias is intelligent, like Wumsy. Unlike all the "lesser" incarnates. And Elias' choice to not speak will also intrigue Wumsy. They will be fascinated with Elias, for sure. Especially if they try to make Wumsy feel fear.

Name: Marie Alvez

Pronouns: she/her
Sexuality: Ace, Panromantic
Height: 5'4" (162 cm)
Weight: 122 lbs (55 kg)

Physical appearance: Marie is fairly unassuming, with a largely average build maintained since gymnastics in high school through periodic walks taken out of boredom and the occasional trip to the gym. Her blond-brown hair is kept short for the most part and is typically rather poorly kempt, loosely held together by bobby pins and the sort. She has several ear piercings, and wears only light makeup when she goes out (if she actually goes out). Dark half-rimmed glasses frame her deep brown eyes.
Clothing: TBD
Personality: Not having the best control of her emotions, Marie frequently flips back and forth between apparent aloofness and genuine emotionality. She is very hard on herself and blames herself for not accomplishing more before her death. While a quick learner, her lack of confidence and quickness to compare herself to others frequently holds her back (the more likely reason she didn't accomplish much before). Is easily irritated but rarely lashes out, dealing with things more internally despite what frequently happens to leak through. Hates seeing people upset since it makes her feel upset too, so she'll go out of her way to help someone out.
Nationality: American (Midwest)
Cause of death: Died in the hospital after being shot by a rogue gunman while getting groceries. Will likely add more later.

Armour: TBD
Incarnate ability (The power granted to you by your Champion): Enhanced reflexes and processing speed. Can produce small quantities of Koodoo's miasma to disorient and help her escape
Preferred weapons/ combat role: Performs best in scouting and relay, utilizing light weaponry such as combat knives or pistols. Inexperienced in a fight but can usually manage for a little while, focusing on evasion.

Incarnate name: Koodoo (they/she)
Incarnate physical appearance:
View attachment 1057592View attachment 1057589View attachment 1057591
^ Plushie/Inactive Form
< Active Form, but without the sword
> Inspiration for miasma/mist abilities and their ability to form attacking appendages or mask themself.
Incarnate height: 5'1" (155 cm), 1' (31 cm) in inactive form
Incarnate weight: 40 lbs (18 kg), 1 lb (0.5 kg) in inactive form
Incarnate personality: A prankster to the last, marches by their own drum and cooperates when she sees fit. Takes an interest in those with a weakness they can prod at, and finds amusement in making people uncomfortable. While not necessarily looking down on others, they certainly have a way of not taking anyone seriously that can come across as arrogant. Capable despite her unpredictability, they love a good plan (even if they will never volunteer one herself) and will willingly and happily follow orders they deem worthwhile. While their actions can sometimes be plain cruel, the do seem to have at least some morals.

Incarnate abilities: Can generate large quantities of a multi-colored miasma that it freely manipulates. This miasma causes numbness of both body and mind when it is ingested, and can be condensed enough to cut like a blade, inflicting the same effect through wounds. Can sense weaknesses, after observing an individual for a period of time, either passively or in combat, and readily exploits them. Expends energy quickly and thus must frequently return to their inactive form, even in combat, to regain their strength. This form can be maintained with little to no energy cost, and she prefers it to being de-summoned.
More detail to be added when I have more time

Incarnate preferred combat role (Front line, support, tank, etc): Vanguard/Aggressive Support/Burst Offense.

Attack: 3
Defense: 1
Speed: 5
Energy: 2
Intelligence: 4
I guess we'll see if Gnome approves of their age, but I think it's an interesting character, and would work well as one of the noobs, along with the rest of us.

I definitely think there's some potential for funny interactions between Koodoo and Wumsy. Since Wumsy is highly observant, pranks would likely not work on them, though he may choose to play along if they're interested. I'm also curious as to what Koodoo would see when trying to sense a weakness from Wumsy. They're not physically powerful or durable, but other than that, if they were to fight, they wouldn't have any weaknesses to exploit. Not that it's hard to overpower or cause damage to Wumsy.

I guess we'll see if Gnome approves of their age, but I think it's an interesting character, and would work well as one of the noobs, along with the rest of us.

I definitely think there's some potential for funny interactions between Koodoo and Wumsy. Since Wumsy is highly observant, pranks would likely not work on them, though he may choose to play along if they're interested. I'm also curious as to what Koodoo would see when trying to sense a weakness from Wumsy. They're not physically powerful or durable, but other than that, if they were to fight, they wouldn't have any weaknesses to exploit. Not that it's hard to overpower or cause damage to Wumsy.
Yeah, that's fair. The age was just something that occured to me while I was writing, and I could always change that if it makes things weird. Just figured having a bit of time pass between death and resurrection would make things just that bit weirder for Marie.

Yeah, in terms of Koodoo and the weakness-identifying, I haven't fleshed fleshed that out too much yet, but I want it to be pretty weak especially to start. And maybe "vulnerabilities" would be a more appropriate word, really. They wouldn't necessarily be things to help defeat someone, but more chinks in the armor, so to speak, to get past defenses both literal and metaphorical. I could honestly probably migrate this to being a mundane ability, since it's really not very supernatural in nature. More just a matter of observation and a knack for finding exploits without needing much time ^^;

Yeah, that's fair. The age was just something that occured to me while I was writing, and I could always change that if it makes things weird. Just figured having a bit of time pass between death and resurrection would make things just that bit weirder for Marie.

Yeah, in terms of Koodoo and the weakness-identifying, I haven't fleshed fleshed that out too much yet, but I want it to be pretty weak especially to start. And maybe "vulnerabilities" would be a more appropriate word, really. They wouldn't necessarily be things to help defeat someone, but more chinks in the armor, so to speak, to get past defenses both literal and metaphorical. I could honestly probably migrate this to being a mundane ability, since it's really not very supernatural in nature. More just a matter of observation and a knack for finding exploits without needing much time ^^;
Ah, if it's strictly just Koodoo being observational, then I guess Wumsy would have them beat. It's kind of neat, though, how they are both observational incarnates. I could see them working together to come up with plans to defeat tough foes. And since Koodoo respects good plans, I imagine them and Wumsy would work well together as team strategists? What do you think Koodoo would think of Wumsy?

Ah, if it's strictly just Koodoo being observational, then I guess Wumsy would have them beat. It's kind of neat, though, how they are both observational incarnates. I could see them working together to come up with plans to defeat tough foes. And since Koodoo respects good plans, I imagine them and Wumsy would work well together as team strategists? What do you think Koodoo would think of Wumsy?
Yeah, realistically, given that they're already extremely agile and have a good bit of power, I don't intend for her to be the smartest or most observant of everyone. Their observation probably just is specialized towards things they can take advantage of, for amusement or combat. Wumsy would indeed have them beat ^^

I suspect Koodoo would thoroughly enjoy Wumsy's company, but "respect" just isn't something she really feels. They'll probably get a laugh out of poking fun at Wumsy's complete lack of emotion, but when it comes to plans she most likely will be all in on coordinating. Or she might ignore what they say in favor of something else, if they feel like it ^^;

Assuming either of us are accepted, anyway xD

Last edited:
Yeah, realistically, given that they're already extremely agile and have a good bit of power, I don't intend for her to be the smartest or most observant of everyone. Their observation probably just is specialized towards things they can take advantage of, for amusement or combat. Wumsy would indeed have them beat ^^

I suspect Koodoo would thoroughly enjoy Wumsy's company, but "respect" just isn't something she really feels. They'll probably get a laugh out of poking fun at Wumsy's complete lack of emotion, but when it comes to plans she most likely will be all in on coordinating. Or she might ignore what they say in favor of something else, if they feel like it ^^;
Yeah, Wumsy would definitely find Koodoo interesting. Even when they play pranks or ignore strategies in lieu of "less effective" strategies, as deemed by Wumsy.

Boy oh boy do I have some catching up to do, bare with me everyone 😆

If I don't get back to you tonight expect a response tomorrow, it's about to pass midnight here.

Boy oh boy do I have some catching up to do, bare with me everyone 😆

If I don't get back to you tonight expect a response tomorrow, it's about to pass midnight here.
No excuses! I expect a 2 page essay response to every single post. You have 2 hours to complete this. Begin.

I made some minor adjustments to Koodoo to better specialize their role. Though I can always adjust more as needed to fit others ^^

This character is so interesting! I can see a pretty interesting dynamic with Dayquan and Wumsy. Such as Emery being able to see the fear and cowardice within Dayquan. And Wumsy has a strange relationship with emotions. He understands them, but doesn't actively feel them. At least not in the sense that his emotions would have any effect on his actions. If he feels something, he observes, analyzes and catalogues the emotion. So I imagine Wumsy and Elias will have a funny relationship. Wumsy will definitely like Elias, since Elias is intelligent, like Wumsy. Unlike all the "lesser" incarnates. And Elias' choice to not speak will also intrigue Wumsy. They will be fascinated with Elias, for sure. Especially if they try to make Wumsy feel fear.
Oh, that would be a fun dynamic to explore! All these characters with contradictions might actually send Emery into sensory overload... He already has enough insecurity on his plate without feeling everyone else's. I think Emery would feel quite comfortable around Dayquan knowing that he's not as intimidating (and Emery secretly considers most people intimidating) on the inside as he acts.

Depending on how their meeting goes, Eudocia might label Wumsy either a pest or its only true ally in this chaos. It'll learn to appreciate Wumsy's detachment from their emotions, at the very least. With Eudocia's main ability being to inflict negativity upon others, it'll be relieved that someone won't hold that against it.

Also sorry for talking too much here, I've just been excited thinking about characters and I hope that hasn't turned anyone off from things..

ooh, if I may casually slide into the conversation about my character...

I have an idea of a character who's champion is basically a ditto. The caveat for being able to copy incarnates is that they have to be killed before they can be copied. Additionally, like ditto, the champion can do one copy at a time and it's not permanent. There are a whole lot more caveats, but I just wanted to throw out the idea and see if it gets greenlit before I start elaborating.

I have an idea of a character who's champion is basically a ditto. The caveat for being able to copy incarnates is that they have to be killed before they can be copied. Additionally, like ditto, the champion can do one copy at a time and it's not permanent. There are a whole lot more caveats, but I just wanted to throw out the idea and see if it gets greenlit before I start elaborating.
I'd be curious to see how it turns out if it gets approved! I recognize though how hard it often is to balance copy abilities, as someone who's tried it before several times, but if it works out it should be a lot of fun ^^

Oh, that would be a fun dynamic to explore! All these characters with contradictions might actually send Emery into sensory overload... He already has enough insecurity on his plate without feeling everyone else's. I think Emery would feel quite comfortable around Dayquan knowing that he's not as intimidating (and Emery secretly considers most people intimidating) on the inside as he acts.

Depending on how their meeting goes, Eudocia might label Wumsy either a pest or its only true ally in this chaos. It'll learn to appreciate Wumsy's detachment from their emotions, at the very least. With Eudocia's main ability being to inflict negativity upon others, it'll be relieved that someone won't hold that against it.
That's pretty cool. I can see Emery and Dayquan becoming close friends, in that case. Dayquan is a kind and friendly person, but doesn't truly get close with many people, due to his conflicting inward and outward nature.

Also, the more people talk, the more I'm interested in seeing how all the incarnates interact.

That would be very interesting. I could see a good restriction being that they can't copy wild incarnates. It would be op if we could just copy some super strong wild incarnate. Limiting them to only apply incarnates may work better. Though I don't know if there will be any super powerful ICE incarnates, as NPCs, or whatnot.

I would also be interested to see how that would work with Wumsy. If they mimicked Wumsy, would their teleport link with their own human, or link with Dayquan & Wumsy? It'd be more powerful to link with Dayquan & Wumsy. Giving them a third anchor point to teleport to would allow them a lot more mobility.
I'd be curious to see how it turns out if it gets approved! I recognize though how hard it often is to balance copy abilities, as someone who's tried it before several times, but if it works out it should be a lot of fun ^^
Indeed. Depending on approval, and the restrictions applied, there could be some interesting interactions, like the one I listed above.

ooh, if I may casually slide into the conversation about
That's pretty cool. I can see Emery and Dayquan becoming close friends, in that case. Dayquan is a kind and friendly person, but doesn't truly get close with many people, due to his conflicting inward and outward nature.

Also, the more people talk, the more I'm interested in seeing how all the incarnates interact.

That would be very interesting. I could see a good restriction being that they can't copy wild incarnates. It would be op if we could just copy some super strong wild incarnate. Limiting them to only apply incarnates may work better. Though I don't know if there will be any super powerful ICE incarnates, as NPCs, or whatnot.

I would also be interested to see how that would work with Wumsy. If they mimicked Wumsy, would their teleport link with their own human, or link with Dayquan & Wumsy? It'd be more powerful to link with Dayquan & Wumsy. Giving them a third anchor point to teleport to would allow them a lot more mobility.

Indeed. Depending on approval, and the restrictions applied, there could be some interesting interactions, like the one I listed above.

I was actually thinking that the champion would only be able to copy wild incarnates due to the concept behind it. The literary concept behind the champion is that it's a literal tombstone and can only embody incarnates that have been recently killed. As for copying a super powerful wild incarnate, the power consumption goes up exponentially the larger the difference is between the embodied incarnate's stat pool and my characters "stat pool". Also, due to the inefficiencies of copying other forms, the energy consumption is 1.25 times more, and the summoning cost is 2 times more based on the embodied incarnate's summoning cost.

ooh, if I may casually slide into the conversation about

I was actually thinking that the champion would only be able to copy wild incarnates due to the concept behind it. The literary concept behind the champion is that it's a literal tombstone and can only embody incarnates that have been recently killed. As for copying a super powerful wild incarnate, the power consumption goes up exponentially the larger the difference is between the embodied incarnate's stat pool and my characters "stat pool". Also, due to the inefficiencies of copying other forms, the energy consumption is 1.25 times more, and the summoning cost is 2 times more based on the embodied incarnate's summoning cost.
Ah, I see. That way it wouldn't be able to copy "boss" type incarnates. It would also limit its usability of there's no useful wild incarnates around.

How would they enhance their human?

Unless the champion embodies another incarnate, there are no stat boosts. I could have it so that the person is given insight into other incarnates, but that's about it. Ah, for weaker incarnates, the stats will be boosted proportionally to match the "spendable pool" of the human.

Right, I'll start by saying thank you to everybody who's submitted a character, w.i.p or not! Some really cool stuff in the character sheets now, and although I can't sit here and type up a full analysis of each one ATM I'll take the time to point out any glaring issues I can find.

I'll start with Parrot Parfait Parrot Parfait , welcome aboard! I have some questions about your potential Champion and I will preface this by saying I'm not a fan of mimic powers in general. But there's room for this to potentially work in the setting so I'm going to try and not let my own bias influence my decision here too much.

So, it can only transform into an Incarnate that's just been killed. Are you looking for it to have sort of a library of Incarnates that have been killed, so over the course of the RP it will build up an arsenal and pick one depending on the situation? Because, as Echocoa pointed out, these sorts of powers are hard to balance and we're already tipping the scales pretty hard with this. Perhaps this is laziness on my part but I would have to design every Incarnate encounter around every previous Incarnate your character has fought and defeated, and with 'boss' like instances that's gonna get real problematic real quick.

You did mention the energy consumption being scaled for power which is a good step in the right direction, but with some particularly powerful Incarnates even just a few seconds of them on the field would be enough to do crazy damage.

The fairest way I can see this thing working is that it can only keep a single copy in stock at a time, that being the last defeated Incarnate it witnessed. But that's pretty limiting for you so maybe that's not going to be very fun? Let me know how you feel about this.

Just replying to part of this because I want to, yes there will be ICE npcs with their own Champions, including some very strong ones, pretty weak ones and everything in between!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back