• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy I Was Supposed To Become a Hero but Got Stuck in a Deadend Job Instead

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Ursula

Ursula waved back at Aenera when she saw the auto. "Howdy!!" She yelled as she approached Aenera. On her way she saw Jax in a rather broody mood so she dragged them along into the auto. She put her luggages on the rear part of the SUV and threw herself into the seat.

"Officer Ursula on position! And nice interior." The elf made herself comfortable by adjusting her seat. Then she reached into her luggages and pulled a few small bottles of dwarven red.

"You looks grumpy Jax. So I have a good idea." She handed Jax one of the bottle while she herself held two bottles of the ale.

"Let's drink! Since Aenera is driving I will drink in her stead. Toast!"

"Oh my goodness, Ursula..." Jax sighs heavily, looking around the interior of the auto with a curious look in their eye. They had put their luggage in the back of the auto as well, and sat themselves down somewhat uncomfortably in the seat just behind Aenera. They wiggle down, adjusting themselves and trying to get comfortable, holding the bottle like it'll bite them. "I don't think drinking is a very good idea. It could get Aenera in trouble, and I don't want to puke in her lovely car."

"Hey you two." Aenera said as they got into the auto. "I hope everyone is ready for the time of their life. Also thanks for the compliment." When Ursula took out the bottles, Aenera said: "You better not make a mess Ursula, otherwise wyverns aren't going to be the only thing I will be skinning today." The comment was a little tongue-in-cheek. But if Ursula made a mess, there'd be hell to pay.

"Also Jax has a point. Well, it wont get me in trouble since I am not drinking and driving, however it will be troublesome, even infuriating if you make a mess." Aenera said as she started the auto. Aenera then pulled out of the parking lot and started driving north. Shortly before an intersection, Aenera asked: "Shall we take the back roads through the countryside or take the expressway? The expressway is only half an hour faster."

Ursula

"Aww, zapper." Seeing the opposition from the two, Ursula put back the bottles. She didn't want to mess with someone else's auto. As one whose own an auto herself she at least understand that.

"Let's take the countryside. Green scenery, less polution... hah, who am I kidding. The countryside has no traffic lights. Let's go!"

Jax smiles, and quietly responds, "The countryside sounds nice, and there's probably way less traffic in the countryside. I'm less likely to become a backseat driver if there's no traffic." They laugh at themself, and say, "Besides, less likely to get caught speeding in the countryside."

They look out the window, their smile fading as they seem to be lost in thought again. This is a regular occurrence for them, and isn't anything to be worried about, but it's funny to watch their face cycle through emotions as they think.

"So countryside it is then. There are lots of old monuments and ancient relics along the way. My favorite is one made by my ancestor tribe, the Vyyzantfyr also known as the Dark Wielders in history class, 1500 years ago. I studied the old tongue of my ancestors during my time at the academy." Aenera explained. At the next intersection, she took a right turn towards the Rim. As soon as they entered the Rim, the road turned into gravel and the landscape turned from the desert yellowish brown of the Quarrytown south into a deep green. The Rim was full of old weeping willow trees and long houses dotted the river valley and the hills beyond it.

Soon they reached a bridge that stood out as it looked like it was mastercrafted by dwarves and elves the same. The bridge was stone and wide enough for two lane traffic. It made a very robust impression. On the inside of the bridge, dwarven patterns were chiseled into the elements while on the outside elven carpentry decorated the bridge. Once they passed the bridge, Aenera slowed down and pointed downstream to their right. "Do you see the long house there with the dock? That is where I live." She said. Further down the road, they came by roadside merchants, many of which were dwarves and goblins. Aenera then spotted an interested stand and stopped briefly to get out. "Give me a minute." Aenera said as she got out and bartered with a roadside merchant.

Two minutes later, she got back in and handed a bottle to Ursula and a bottle to Jax. "A gift from me. You will like it. It's Rimworlder Hoppy. It is like a cross between strong ale and a potion. They add extra hops and brew it with manaroot and aetherweed. On one side, it is enjoyable in flavor. On the otherside, it can supercharge bar fights, which is why you are only allowed to drink it outside and in establishments that do not have wooden furniture." Aenera said and smiled. She then continued driving and turned on the radio.

On the radio, the news was just on: "Currently, there have been arrests against two high wizards in Highmills. There is strong evidence that they have embezzled money and have were behind the failed assassination attempt against a high council member. This is the fourth scandal in the past ten years of wizard corruption. The first scandal..." Aenera quickly changed the channel to something with music. "I am tired of hearing about scandals and high wizards." Aenera said, slightly irritated.

Once they were over the hill, the road was paved again and grew less curvy. Long houses were still visible up ahead of them but the further out they got, the more sparse they got.

Ursula

Since drinking was out of the options, Ursula spent her time playing Bakamon on her handheld console. Then Aenera stopped the car, went out and came back with some bottles of Rimworlder Hoppy. Ursula's eyes brighten as she eagetly accepted the bottle. She held it high as she exclaimed.

"Thank you, Aenera! This is awesome. Now I can drink on the battlefield!" The elf slipped the bottle into her hips pouch. She couldn't wait to try it later. "Herbal ale like this reminds me of home. You know my favorite ale? Sinsira Troves, or as the people of the Quarries call it, Ginger Dolce! It's a niche drink though so the price can be troublesome for me. Even though I used to drink it like water." Ursula sighed at herself. Sometimes she got this sudden urge to just go back home, but she knew what awaits her there wouldn't be pleasant. She shook the thought and distracted herself by resuming her Bakamon.

Jax smiles fondly at Aenera when they are handed the bottle. "Thanks, Aenera, I appreciate it. You know how I love my ales." They place it carefully on the floor by their feet, making a mental note to put it in with their clothes later.

"... Lotta scandals recently, huh? Really makes you think about who's pulling the strings." Jax sighs heavily, "Though it's really none of my business. High wizards are so high above me it's ridiculous." They hunch down in their seat, looking out at the country side and smiling at the thinning houses. Soon they'll be truly in the countryside, and it's bound to be gorgeous.

"Glad you both appreciate my gift. I once found a recipe for a brew my ancestor tribe made. I made it but it was very strong. It also had mana enhancing properties, which ended up giving my a lead on my former work. Just I shouldn't have gone down that path." Aenera said.

Once Jax mentioned the scandal and the position of high wizards, Aenera said: "I don't like high wizards. I could have been one, but the wizards in the capital are irresponsible and hedonistic. They only care about what serves themselves and don't care about collateral damage. I could have done a lot more back then, but I held back. I believed that justice will be served and some justice was served, however too few high wizards were punished and those who were punished basically got a slap on their wrist. What is five years of prison and a demotion to a wizard capable of becoming over 200 years old? Instead I was more treated like a criminal, because of my capabilities. One day, I will see to that they get what they deserve."

Aenera noticed that she got carried away in her ramblings. She sighed. "Sorry. I didn't mean to ramble." She said.

Soon they passed the last house in the pasture and the landscape started to flatten out, turning from a hilly green area to a steppe. In the distance, there was a barren mountain range. The mountains towered high and looked like a perfect breeding ground for dragon-kind. "Within that range we should find our wyverns. Real dragons shouldn't be there. Real dragons are usually found in the north and in the frontiers. I read that in that mountain range there are mostly just wyverns, kinglings, giant salamanders and fire oxes." Aenera explained.

She took a look at her charge gauge and the mana of the SUV was running low. "I will have to stop in a moment. I forgot to charge the auto before leaving. The Vyyzantfyr relic should soon come up on the side of the road. We can stop there." After about ten minutes, they reached the stop. It was basically a gravel rest stop in front of a large stele with foreign writing on it. It was written in some ancient letters. On the other side of the road there was a small shop. Aenera climbed out of the vehicle and popped open the hood. She then opened a casing and took a large crystal out of it. The crystal didn't glow, meaning the mana charge was almost depleted. Aenera then focussed her mana and charged the crystal with her own mana. She had to slowly charge it to not damage it. After a minute, the charge glowed brightly and Aenera placed it back into the casing and closed the hood.

She then walked over to the stele and read it. Well she translated it. "This relic is to preserve the memory of our tribe, for our future is uncertain. The element wielders hunt us as if we were savages and the Lloranfellers refuse our kind asylum. Our last hope is in the south in Fiordanfell." She read. Aenera then explained: "Most of the Vyyzanfyr were assimilated among the Fiordanfellers throughout the hundreds of years that followed. Only a small group that hid away in the very mountains we are about to venture, kept the culture alive, however most cannot use the very magic the ancestors used. They still live there, deep in the ruins and herd fire oxen and kinglings. I know the ruins well and maybe we can rest there after the hunt."

Aenera touched the stele and suddenly new symbols appeared, glowing a light blue. "We fear for the lives for those who remained at home. If the element wielders venture into the mountains, then all is lost for them. Or maybe we can hope the dragons scare them off." Aenera read. "Many of these have hidden text. Let's saddle up and get ourselves some wyverns. Or do you want to go into the shop across the road first?"

Ursula

"I like high wizard. They know good stuffs, yummm. Tommy was a high wizard, too bad that trap got him." Ursula replied without looking up from her console. She was focused on the screen. Only after a brief pause that she realized they were talking about politic. "Wait, what kind of high are we talking about? Eh, nevermind."

"Let's get our wyverns. I already stocked myself in the city." Putting her console down, Ursula opened her briefcase to reveal a 25 inches long sniper rifle coated in camouflage pattern. There's two magazines attached at the bottom part, one was a normal one for storing the bullets and the other smaller one was for storing the mana crystal used to propels the projectiles, variant mana crystal can also be used to instantly enchant the bullet with some unique properties but those kind of crystals tend to have much higher price.

"Arboritta TT7. Reliable old model and staple for an elven sniper, at least used to, equipped with special scope that enable the user to see-through several layer of obstacles. It has been months since I last used this but I keep my skills sharp by playing FPS everyday." Ursula proceed to gently wiped the gun with a smooth pieces of clothes. She already thoroughly cleaned the gun before but she just wanted to make sure.

Jax's eyes nearly sparkle at Aenera's translation. "I always appreciate a good history lesson." They say, trying to sound sincere but ending up sounding sarcastic. "Glad to hear that you know of a place to rest after the hunt. Think that we'll see any trouble, during this hunt?"

They reach into the back to drag their duffel bags into their lap. They first start by putting on their leather bracers, made of dark, polished leather, worn but well cared for. They also put on a pair of shin guard looking pieces, but they don't seem to have a breastplate. Then, they pull out a battle axe, with seemingly no magical properties. "Try not to shoot me, okay Ursula? Friendly fire isn't fun."

"You guys sure seem anxious to hunt. Well we still have a fifteen minute drive ahead of us until we reach a place to stop the vehicle and have to go further on foot." Aenera said as she turned on the SUV.

Aenera then drove with the other two further into the mountain range. Aenera saw some wyverns flying in the distance minding their own business. Responding to Jax's question from earlier, she said: "I don't think we will run into any trouble. The only situations that could get us into trouble may be either that we get swarmed by more wyverns than we expected or we run into professional licensed hunters or even government hunters. In all cases, I will cover you the best I can. In the first, I will probably try to enhance your speed so you can quickly dispatch the wyverns. And if we run into hunters, I will make sure time slows down for you that you can make a quick escape back to my auto, while I deal with the scrutiny or whatever they want to dish out on me. I can afford getting in trouble and you said you can't."

Soon they reached a gravel road that led through a narrow valley. The valley was so narrow that there was only a river and the gravel road next to it. The river was relatively shallow. Shallow enough that if they had to, they could drive through it. Soon they reached a wider valley in these barren mountains. There was a pasture full of flowers and grass divided by various gravel roads and paths and separate grassy pens with stone walls surrounding them. On the grass were fire oxen grazing and the first sign of people in these almost barren remote parts. On the far side of the valley, there were ruins of possibly a city built into the mountain. The lower parts containing homes sculpted into the mountain rock and he upper part containing more majestic creations such as a temple or possibly a palace. The ruins looked long forgotten, but however maintained to a bare minimum. It didn't look collapsed or like it was going to collapse, however aethetically it looked like it had seen far better days.

Aenera parked in a wider part of the road, near one of the pens. "Home, sweet home." Aenera said as she got out of the SUV. They were spotted by an elderly herdsman of human species in a long robe. He slowly walked over to the wall near them with his cane and in a heavy, foreign sounding accent with shortened vowels and a retroflexed Rs that sounded almost like Ls. "What bring you here to these remote parts? Have you come to see if the old city is in fact haunted like the Fiordanfellers rumor?" The old man asked. Aenera smiled: "I guess it has been pretty long since I have been here last. We are here to deal with the wyvern problem and eventually rest or even spend the night in the old city."

The old man bent forward squint his eyes at Aenera. Then he looked all of a sudden surprised: "Oh it's you! My eyes aren't as good as they used to be. But I am more than a century old. Anyways, if you killed at least half a dozen wyverns it would be much appreciated. Sometimes they prey on our oxen and start fights with the kinglings. If you take care of them, I will treat you to some homemade ice cream from the milk of the cows of the fire oxen and if you want to buy cheese or yoghurt, I will give you a discount."

Aenera chuckled: "It is pretty warm today, had I come in my old wizard gear, I would be sweating like a pig. And after a hunt, ice cream sounds pretty refreshing. I must ask, do you have any dornmelon juice and mineral water? I will give you something for it." "You don't need to give me anything for those. Those things we have more than a plenty. Do you intend to mix it? I can pre-mix it for you. It is very refreshing, especially in this weather." The old man suggested. Aenera nodded. The old man then hurried over to a saddled kingling (kinglings are like lizards that you can ride or use to draw carts) and saddled up, then riding up to a hut near further down the valley. There he seemed to talk with another person who briefly went into the hut and came back out with something in his hands, then putting it into the saddle bag.

The old man then rode back over to Aenera, Jax and Ursula and handed them leather canteens. "Here these should keep cool even in the sun." The old man said. He then turned to Aenera. "There is someone who has been waiting for you to come back. Be sure not to disappoint him. He should be in the old city, so don't forget about him when you are done hunting. I now have to go tend to the oxes."

Ursula

Ursula transformed her duffel bag into a backpack simply by changing the positions of the straps and heaved it on her back. Now she was ready, she came out of the SUV and inhaled the fresh air deeply. She ran around in circle like a kid and when Aenera was talking with the old man she was busy posing like a cowboy in front the oxens.

"Yeehaw? Moooo? Yeehaw!" Ursula made a lassooing gesture. The oxens just scoffed at her and turned away. She came back to the group on time to receive the leather canteen from the old man.

"Thank you! I like drinks!" She put the canteen inside her backpack and waved as the old man walked away. She then cupped her hands around her ears to focus her hearing, her ears seem to be perking up before she pointed towards the west. "Come on! I heard a wyvern somewhere there."

Jax slings their battle axe onto their back after putting on the holster for it when they stop, and they squint in the bright sun, shading their eyes with their now freed hand. They watch Aenera and the older gentleman with interest, listening carefully to their conversation. They smile at the old man and thank him in a warm tone. "I appreciate this, sir. Enjoy the rest of your day." They say, almost on auto pilot, like they've slipped into customer service mode without noticing.

"Wyvern time, then?" They ask the others, looking at Ursula quizzically, like they just can't decide whether or not she's joking. They hang the leather canteen off their belt loop, to better free up their hands. They make a mental note to drop it when fighting the wyverns, since it hinders smooth movement just a touch, and reflexes are all they really have against certain death.

Aenera somehow expected the reaction Ursula had given.

Aenera grabbed her bad from the back of the SUV and said: "I made potions. If you need healing or a boost just call me." She then locked the SUV and began walking in the direction of where the wyverns were supposed to be. "Well let's go and not wait up. We still have possibly seven or eight hours until it gets dark. That is plenty of time to kill a couple wyverns and head back. Remember to harvest the horns, claws, teeth and meat. They are the most valuable parts. On the value of the horns of three wyverns alone we should be able to pay for our planned road trip."

Aenera didn't really need to put on gear or ready a weapon. She just had to avoid getting hit and slow down time for the others to have an advantage over the beasts.

Ursula

"I call dibs on the tips of their tails. Allright!" Ursula stated. "I got a personal request for those."

The elf walked ahead of the other two, her ears were wiggling wildly as she confidently guides the group through the forest. "It's still a bit far but there's actually two wyverns if we keep running on ahead. Maybe they're fighting? Wait, no. Too silent for that. Maybe they're mating or even better, maybe we found a couple with some eggs! Eggs!"

The thought of getting her hands on some wyvern's eggs got Ursula even more excited, it's like she had gleams on her eyes. She slow down her jogs and walked next to Aenera. "How many mana potion can you spare for me?"

Jax states, "Good thing I brought a hunting knife I suppose... did any of us really think about how we're going to harvest the parts? I'm not exactly a wyvern dentist after all." They trudge along, their short legs moving them at a brisk pace to keep up with the taller girls, and also to seem like they're not intentionally dragging their feet.

"I got plent of mana potions. I made 15 mana potions. Five for each of us. Then I had strength and speed boosters, painkillers and another fifteen healing potions." Aenera replied to Ursula. Then hearing Jax talk about harvesting tools, Aenera said: "Don't worry. I didn't forget about the tools for harvesting teeth and horns. For mean and scales however we would need a bigger blade like an axe or a sword."

"If you think we are getting close to the wyverns, I guess I will scout ahead to see how far we still have." Aenera said, then concentrating. Her forehead crystal glowed blue uner her bangs. All of a sudden everything around Aenera slowed almost to a stop. It was best to hurry up when scouting because the amount of mana only gave her a fraction of a second real time or five minutes slowed down at most. She jogged down the path and around the ridge to spot the wyverns. There were two near the path and another two a little up the mountain. Aenera hurried back to the others and came back out of the time-stop, just as she got to Jax and Ursula. To them, it would seem that Aenera had flickered and moved a couple inches and somehow was a little out of breath from it.

"There are... two around the ridge. And... another two... up the mountain." Aenera said panting.

Ursula

Ursula was relieved to hear that Aenera prepared five mana potions for each of them. That actually much more than she needed but that means she can go trigger happy with her magic if she needs to. Aenera then said that she would scout ahead and suddenly flickered a few inch out of breath. Ursula could guess that Aenera just used her chrono magic. She patted Aenera's head after she reported about the locations of the wyverns.

"Thank you, Aenera. But save your mana and stamina for later and just leave the scouting to me, allright? Allright? Allright." Ursula winked playfully. She then raised her hand and focused herself to check the environment. The wind was blowing down the mountain, against their direction, which was good since it enables them to sneak in without their scent being detected.

"Let's take down the ones at the ridge first." The group arrived at the said ridge. There they spotted the wyverns circling each other, letting out a non-threatening growl at each other and then entangled their necks while moving around back and forth in synch.

"Nice........ Wyvern porn."

Last edited:
Jayce stands behind the counter at a small, nice Café cleaning mugs and other dishes. He is dressed in a white button up shirt, black pants and a simple apron as the uniform. Business was usually steady but occasionally gets a bit quiet. Occasionally Jayce glances around the room at various seated customers to see if anyone needs service. He's been working at this place for a couple years now , it is a decent paying job, the drinks and pastries are well made though some are more popular than others.

While the slow times can be a bit tedious, it gives Jayce some time to think about his training. I've still not managed to increase the amount of mana i can channel into attacks safely, he thinks to himself. I can't really afford to injure my arm again or the boss will be angry.

Jayce was pulled from his thoughts by the sound of a bell as new customers arrive, with a polite greeting he begins to serve them. He'll think more about training when his shift ends.

Jax pats Aenera on the back, a concerned look passing over their face. "I assume you just did some magic. Be careful okay? I would hate if something bad happened to you and we were unable to help."

When they arrive at the ridge, they swallow hard at the sight of the wyverns. "Gross." They say, their voice high and nervous as their hands shake slightly. They ready their weapon, eyes bouncing around the area, to double check that these are the only wyverns around. Upon seeing there are no others, they nod, and look to the group. "Ready... set..."

"You don't have to worry about me. You'd be surprised at how much mana I have and how I can fend for myself." Aenera said. "Just be happy I am not a danger to you and that I am on your side." Aenera joked a little, but on a serious note, if she had a reason to, she'd raise hell in this country.

As they came around the ridge, they saw the wyverns mating. The wyverns noticed them after they noticed the wyverns. Aenera put her hands on Jax' and Ursula's shoulders and whispered a spell. Her forehead crystal lit up again. The spell wasn't in the kingdom basic they spoke nor in the Fiordanfeller dialect. It was some ancient tongue unknown to most in the nation, even rare amongst wizards. After a brief pause, Aenera chanted again. They crystal lit up again. After Aenera finished chanting, she said: "Here is a little endurance and speed boost for an advantage over the wyverns. Don't worry. I will paralyze them if they try to fly. It has been a while though since I have used my magic in combat." The last time being a bar brawl six or seven years ago where she slowed time to land a punch in someones gut and knock them out.

Aenera readied her bag in case she had to toss someone a potion. She already saw one of the wyverns readying its wings for a possibly launch in the air. Wyverns were basically mini dragons. They were nothing compared to dragons in strength though. And Aenera stumbled across a dragon in these very mountains as a child and while it noticed her, it wasn't interested in her and few off.

Getting back out of her memories, Aenera chanted a spell, this time a bit louder, targeting the wings of the wyverns before them. The forehead crystal turned from a light blue light into a black spark mid chant. Upon finishing her chant, a shockwave like pulse sent a chilling feeling to any living beings nearby, sending smaller lizards who were hiding under rocks to run away. And a black fire singed the wyverns wings, making their use painful for the wyverns while not damaging them too much.

"You should be able to fight them without a problem now. I have your back." Aenera said.

Ursula

"Yep, yep. You're very scary Aenera." Ursula just replied playfully at Aenera's joke with another pat on Aenera's head. She felts like this would become her new habit by the end of the day.

"I feel somewhat cold and you know what is good at cold weather? A drink!" Ursula opened a can of beer and drank the content quickly. "Ah, much better. Allright, let's go, Tommy!" Ursula walked next to Jax, her rifle was ready on her hand.

"Execute plan A. Hit them till they die!" Setting her gun on single shot setting, Ursula kneeled to gives her firm shooting stance as she aimed her rifle towards their eyes. Yep, eyes. Since Aenera already immobilized their wings she would be able to easily shot them in the eyes. The wyverns let out a loud screech as their eyeballs popped into bloody mess. Though, one of the wyvern still have its right eye intact because it keep its right side out of Ursula's firing range.

Last edited:
Jax frowns at Ursula drinking on the job, so to speak, but just sighs and shakes their head instead of saying anything. The people they hang out with are very strange, they think to themselves as they advance further towards the wyverns, running rather fast for a stubby dwarf. That must be the speed boost.

They eventually get close enough to the wyverns to slash upwards in a wide arch towards the nearest one's belly, which unfortunately happens to be the one with an intact eye. The wyvern deflects their attack with one of its legs, snarling and hissing all the while. It hisses in Jax's face, and they let out a somewhat fearsome snarl in return, going in for another hit, this time at the leg that is now blocking the stomach and guts of the wyvern.

"Maybe it is about time you drank your Rimworlder Hoppys." Aenera said to Jax and Ursula. It would possibly boost their strength further. But then Aenera noticed that they made enough noise to gain attention from the two wyverns up the mountain and they had taken flight. Aenera chanted another spell. Another shockwave was noticeably felt and another black spark from the forehead crystal. Suddenly the two flying wyverns came crashing down and seemed to be pressed against the ground after they hit it. The spell made tattoo like patterns glow on Aenera's skin.

"Make quick work of the first two and then we can take care of the other two." Aenera called out to Ursula and Jax. Releasing this much mana felt good. It felt like Aenera was getting rid of a burden. "This feels great! But I still have to hold back so that there is still a prize left to claim." Aenera shouted in a near euphoria. She let out a laugh that sounded borderline maniacal, but then suppressed it to not distract the others or worry them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back