• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy I Was Supposed To Become a Hero but Got Stuck in a Deadend Job Instead

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Ursula

"Yo, Tommy. Aim for their neck, it's their weakness. There's plenty of arteries there." Ursula shouted at Jax while she herself actually backed away and put some distance from the ongoing battle. She aimed a shot at one of the wyvern on the neck, which resulted in a stream of blood gushing out and splattered the blood on jax and their surrounding.

Jax makes a groan of disgust, looking up at the wyverns with trepidation. They swing upwards in a wide arch, splattering themselves with more blood as they cut into the wyvern's neck, keeping their mouth firmly closed as their face is peppered with droplets of blood. Their blade is sharp and true, and the wyvern falls as more of the red liquid seeps outward, laying on its side and struggling to breathe.

They turn, psyching themselves up for the next one, shaking their shoulders and head.

As the others took care of the two wyverns and slashed their necks putting the wyverns in their last breaths, Aenera released the other two wyverns that were being crushed into the ground by a gravitation spell. The wyverns stumbled to their feet, yet were injured from crashing to the ground and the crushing gravity of Aenera's spell. They didn't look like they could put up much of a fight compared to the first two. "We should be able to make easy game with the last two wyverns." Aenera said to the others.

She cast the black fire on the wings of the wyverns again just to be safe. "Does anyone need a black fire enchantment to their weapon?" Aenera asked.

Yfirryn Manabrook

Back in the old city, the old herder rode to the city and up the mountain to the temple. There the priests, priestesses and their apprentices were doing the daily ritual to the three chief gods, Yrra, Aenar and Zantyr, their two dozen children, the lesser gods and goddesses and the demigods and saints of history passed. A feminine figure hit an aetheric drum that lit up and let out a droning and deafening growl, almost like a large subwoofer. The drone was audible throughout the mountains and made the temple vibrate.

Once the droning dissipated, the ritual was over and the priests and priestesses put their tools away. The old man then approached the figure who had hit the drum. The figure had a feminine figure, very long brown hair and green eyes. They wore an open brown robe. Underneath they wore black shorts that only went mid thigh, black thigh high socks, boots and a short-sleeved black turtleneck. "Hello great grand uncle, what brings you here?" The figure said in a feminine voice. The old man then replied: "Yfirryn, your sister has come. I thought it would be worth telling you. You are bound to be excited over that." Indeed, Yfirryn looked antsy.

"Thank you. This time I wont let her leave without me. She needs to show me the outside world and it pains me to wait for months for her to come back." Yfirryn said. The old man then said: "Take your time going down into the city. Your sister is out hunting with friends. She will stop by later for ice cream." Yfirryn still was excited. He made his way down into the city to break news to the family that Aenera was back. They would possibly have so much to tell her such as that her youngest sibling just recently turned 9 or that her fourth next sibling in age just landed an apprenticeship with the healer mage. Meanwhile for Yfirryn there was not much new in the past six months. He as well as his father and younger brother by two years tended to the oxen and in the afternoon and on holy days Yfirryn would tend to temple duties.

Yfirryn made his way down deep into the mountain to the city's central plaza and then to the family dwelling were the parents with eight of their nine children lived. The grand parents live right next door. The the surviving great grand parents also not far away. Despite the secretism of their people's origin and their alignment to the kingdom through a kingdom representative in their midst, they enjoyed relative freedom and peace for over 1000 years. If Fiordanfellers knew the city existed, it would be the second largest city in the province behind Quarrytown and maybe the 30th largest in the kingdom. Estimates were that 60,000 people lived there and that 2000 years ago when it was the capital of Vyyzantfyr, it had over 200,000 inhabitants.

Yfirryn arrived at the family home. They called it a dwelling but it was rather comparable in size to a Rimworlder longhouse, just carved into a stone wall. A younger sibling who rather recently reached adulthood was playing a bagpipe made from a fire oxens stomach. She played it skillfully as she became a musician, because in the old city, standing didn't get you anywhere. Only skill and merit counted. The children of rich families could end up poor because they expected the money to talk but didn't care to learn a trade.

"Great grand uncle said Aenera has come. She is out hunting but she should be back soon. I heard she has brought friends along." Yfirryn said to his younger sister. The younger sister then replied: "We should prepare a feast for Aenera and her friends. It is a special occasion isn't it?" They then got to notifying the family to prepare. Yfirryn meanwhile decided to wait for his older sister in the south end of the central plaza not far from the entrance to the mountain.

At the end of his shift Jayce changed to a simple loose fittng, black shirt and blue jeans in the bathroom and headed out to his Auto. It is a fairly basic machine but it worked well enough and got the job done. He begins driving, thinking about what form of training to do today. "Hm... I've not been out to the Ancient City, it could be worth checking out." He says to himself as his dark blue Auto moves through the streets.

Jayce has heard of the ruins, seen some information on them here and there but has never taken the time to go out there. Working out at the Gym has worked well enough but it has gotten stale. For now he can simply jog around and explore to see if it could be suitable. If not there are always more options to try out. Upon arriving Jayce exits the vehicle and lock up.

He takes a few minutes to observe it from a distance before approaching the city. He has to admit he was curious what he'd find.

Last edited:
Ursula

"Tommy, you look hillarious! Like a gingerbread man dipped into a tomato juice!" Ursula crackled at the sight of the blood-drenched Jax. She merrily gaves Jax a quick shoulder pat before she aimed her gun at her next target, which was already downed by Aenera so it definitely would make things easier.

"Black fire? I don't think I need it. Stacking too much spells on my gun might burn our loots to ashes." She shoot barrages of bullets at one of the wyvern.

"Yeah, yeah, real funny Ursula. I don't think I need the enchantment, this hunt is pretty easy." Jax replies, jogging on short, stubby legs over to the remaining wyverns, aiming for the one that Ursula isn't shooting at and quickly slicing at the throat of the beast, trying their best to get as little blood on them as possible while also making the cut clean, as to not damage any of the parts of the precious adversary. They make sure to give the wyvern currently being pounded with bullets a wide berth, as to not get shot accidentally. "I'm sure you wouldn't be laughing if it was you covered in blood!" They call out as their second wyvern is again slashed at with their heavy weapon.

"Fine. Seems easy enough though." Aenera responded to the others. The others seemed to make quick work of the remaining two wyverns. As the others were finishing up on dealing with the two remaining wyverns, Aenera pulled out her tools and began harvestings valuable parts from the already killed wyverns, such as claws, horns and teeth. "These all should give us more than enough money for a road trip. We should be able to do a decent adventure around the country with the funds from these." She said.

Meanwhile back at the old city, while Yfirryn was waiting in the plaza, the old man went out to check on the oxen. The old man spotted an outsider gazing towards the city and approached him. "Hello friend. Have you taken interest in exploring the old city? I can show you around and maybe find you a place to stay while you do the sightseeing." The old man said to the outsider (Jayce).

Jayce nods at the man, "hello. Yes I was curious about it and wanted to take a look. If it's not to much trouble I would appreciate it, better than wandering around for a few hours." He says with a chuckle, "but a place to stay won't be necessary, at least not on this visit. This is more of a scouting trip anyway, want to see if this would be a good place for me to train. though learning about it is a happy side effect." Jayce had no qualms with telling this stranger his intent, he seems nice enough and does not look dangerous. with no ill intent and no reason to lie he saw no reason to deceive or withhold his purpose for coming to this city. "by the way, do you live here?"

Ursula

"I'm sure as hell will laugh at myself if I get drenched in blood. Ehehehehe... or not."

"The tip of the tails is for me!! I also want the tenderloin." Ursula approached the downed wyverns and pulled a small device that looks like a combination of a hair dryer and a chainsaw. She pressed a button on switched on the device, its jaded blade was spinning wildly and Ursula used it to harvest the parts.

"Ugh." They reply, reaching out to smear blood onto the back of Ursula's head. "My least favorite part- the removal of parts. So, so gross." They look down at themselves, covered in blood and bits of wyvern neck, and sigh heavily. "I'm going to need a shower, or a hose down. Either or- I'm not picky as long as it is as soon as possible." Jax sticks out their tongue in a disgusted manner, scrunching up their face as they gross themselves out.

Aenera

After Aenera gathered the teeth, claws and horns, she said: "Well I am done with my part. Bones could be valuable too but that may be too much work and take several hours for us. With this we should be able to get a neat sum and go on a decent trip with that money. When you guys are done, we can head back to the old ruins and rest. I bet great unc-, I mean the old man has a place to sleep for us." Aenera then took a big gulp from the drink the old man made them. It was indeed refreshing.

Yfirryn

The old man smiled at Jayce and said: "Well, welcome to the former capital of the Vyyzantfyr empire. While from the outside it looks like ruins, it never really has been abandoned." Then Jayce asked of the old man lived there and the old man replied: "Of course I live here along with my family and many others. Would you like to see the city? Maybe my great grand nephew could show you around until his sister gets back with her friends from their hunting trip." While he said that, he looked towards Aenera's SUV. "Just follow me." The old man said and walked to the plaza in a pace to which Jayce could probably easily keep up.

Ursula

"Nooooo, not the hair.... I don't have enough shampoo." Ursula tried to shook the blood from the back of her head but it only resulted in the blood getting spread even further on her head. She now looks like someone that provides cheap jumpscare at an amateur horror house. The elf even pretending to be one by extending her hands torward Jax and rolled her eyes to the back.

"I will haunt you~ or you can take responsibility by helping me cutting through the ribs. Extra loots. This chain dryer thingy take forever to cut through bones and I want to sell some exotic foods tomorrow. Go chop chop Tommy, that axe will do great."

Jax laughs a hearty laugh at Ursula's antics, before groaning at the idea of cutting through the tough bone of the rib cage. "Fiiiiine I suppose I will assist in chopping up wyvern. It's the least I could do, I did just get blood all up in your lovely hair." They trudge over to the nearest wyvern, raising their axe in a show of pure strength, and swinging it down with a crunch of bone. "Hope you weren't thinking this would be neat." They say in a conversational tone, barely out of breath as they swing again and again down into the carcass, humming softly to themself as they work through the bodies.

Ursula

While Jax was busy working through the ribs, Ursula just watched from the side while cheering them with a pair of pom poms made of some nearby shrubs. All while letting out hiccups once every four of five seconds, looks like the effect of the canned beer started dissipating.

"Go, go. Tom- I mean, Jax! You can do it!" When jax finished choping all the ribs, Ursula immediately jumped into the messy carcasses and started cutting parts of it. Carefully putting each type of meat on different sacks and ended up with 3 bloated sacks full of selected wyvern meat.

"For the last step." The elf cuts a small wound on her finger and let a drop of her blood fell onto the ground. The blood start wiggling and moving wildly as Ursula muttered chants after chants. The blood grew into a big mule, almost twice of Ursula's height. The mule had a distorted face that make it looks like it was in constant high. She hugged the mule dearly and the mule licked her head back.

"Help me carry these sacks." After she loaded the meat onto the mule's back. She felt like she should introduce him to her two friends. "Carrion, these two are Jax and Aenera. Aenera, Jax, this is Carrion. My familiar. Isn't he beautiful? He is our fourth party member. Load all the loots onto his back!"

Jayce nods with a smile, "I guess I shouldn't have made assumptions about the city, huh?" He chuckles for a moment before continuing, "I'd very much appreciate having someone knowledgeable about the area to show me around, I hope it wouldn't be to much of a bother for him though. I don't want to inconvenience anybody." He says as he scratches the back of his head a bit nervously. He is able to keep pace with the older man but keeps a respectful distance behind him. Aside from not getting lost, another benefit of having a guide is having someone to help make sure he doesn't offend any of the people living here.

Aenera

Aenera chuckled at the antics of Jax and Ursula. She watched as they finished up salvaging parts from the wyvern carcasses. Then as Ursula summoned her familiar, a large pack mule with an oddly distorted face. When Ursula introduced the mule, naming it Carrion, Aenera said: "Nice to meet him. He seems... interesting." Aenera packed her bags with the parts she harvested into the mule. Aenera then said: "Some of it will not fit into my SUV, so we may have to trade them in the city for valuable crystals. The crystals could be valuable to the outside in making arcanotronic devices and mana charges. So we should be able to make a decent profit."

(If you want to skip to the city whenever, you are my guest to do so.)

Yfirryn

The old man led Jayce through the large gate into the old city. The city was in a massive hollowing within the mountain. The ceiling was only visible by the small holes intended for rain and letting out possible toxic gases from burning fires in the city. Some skylight came through the holes. In the middle of the city plaza was an orange crystal that gave off light and warmth. There were market stands around the plaza. Further into the cavern there was a small waterfall with a small lake and odd shrubs and small farms surrounding the lake. It looked like if this place ever was besieged, it could hold out for an eternity. Homes and long staircases lined the walls of the cavern. More buildings were visible on the ground level. If everything was inhabited, it was possible that the population could be similar to the Rim or Quarrytown proper. The biggest difference to Quarrytown was the level of development. This felt like time travelling back a thousand years where reliance of "practical magics" was higher and arcanotronics didn't exist. This place made even the Rim look modern.

The people in town all had similar physical traits: Long brown hair, green or turquoise eyes and many men were very handsome, almost like how elven men were. Over on a bench, a feminine figure was waiting. They got up when they saw the old man come in with Jayce. The figure walked over to the old man and said: "Great uncle. Where is sister? Might this be a friend of Aenera's?" "I don't know. I found him outside. He seemed to be curious about the city." The old man said to Yfirryn.

The old man turned to Jayce and said: "This is my great grand nephew Yfirryn. He can show you around and tell you about the city and our people." Yfirryn bowed to Jayce, smiled and said: "Pleased to meet you. Until my sister comes, we will stay within the plaza area. If you have questions, go right ahead."

As he's led to where Yfirryn, Jayce gawks at the surrounding area. He has never seen anything like this before. The fact that all this was inside the mountain is almost mind boggling. Once they've reached Yfirryn Jayce nods, "hello, it's nice to meet you, I'm Jayce. It's amazing that this place exists here. Honestly I wouldn't know where to start with my questions." He says with a chuckle, still looking around the plaza. His gaze moves over to the orange crystal, "I guess the best place I can start is that Orange crystal, what is it exactly? I don't think I've ever seen anything even close to that. It's quite interesting."

"This is an awful amount of stuff..." Jax replies, looking down at the mangled carcasses of wyverns. They nudge a piece of flesh with the toe of their boot. "What do we do with the remains? Leave then to rot out in the sun? Seems like that would attract more predators..."

Ursula

"Just let the carcasses be, it's not poison dragon's so it's safe to let nature do the job." Ursula boosted herself and mounted her mule, she stood on top of the piled loot and balanced herself like an acrobat.

"Let's go to that city and rest. They sure have drink, right? Right! Avaunt! Carrion Yip yip!"

Aenera

The other two finally got done with harvesting parts from the wyvern carcasses. Jax then asked if they should just leave the carcasses. Ursula thought it wasn't a problem. Aenera nodded and said: "The wyverns should decompose in time if wild kinglings don't develop the taste for wyvern meat. When Ursula said they were ready to go and asked whether or not they have drink, Aenera answered: "They sure got ale there. Vyyzantfyrri herbal ale is the regional specialty. Made from the finest hops, kinglinggrass, demon emmer and mountain barley in the mountains and fermented in mana oak barrels." Aenera lit her pipe and joined the others on their way back to the city.

Yfirryn

Yfirryn noticed that Jayce seemed a little overwhelmed with the sight of the old city, but then decided to ask about the orange crystal in the middle of the plaza. Yfirryn smiled and said: "Well that is the Aenfya Crystal, named after Queen Aenfya who had this place built as the capital of the Vyyzantfyrri empire. They say she preferred the title queen over empress to appear more benevolent. The crystal provides warmth and light to the city. During night time it dims to an amount where it is still possible to navigate the cavern but to not disturb those who sleep. The city and the crystal are around 1600 years old. The crystal was created by Queen Aenfya herself and infused with her mana. But outsiders like Fiordanfellers call Aenfya something different: The First Tyrant. We believe they called her that because she tried to unite the lands under one banner but the other peoples feared and hated the magics Aenfya used. She managed her goal, but in an unexpected way. They united under one banner to defeat Queen Aenfya. Our people were on the brink of destruction and Aenfya didn't want anymore spilt blood. So she bartered a deal with the other peoples. Spare the Vyyzantfyrri people and in turn she will sacrifice herself for the good of all. The others upheld their part, however they believe Aenfya was so powerful that she could one day return. But I can tell that story when my sister Aenera and her friends arrive."

Jayce absorbs the information given to him. Once Yfirryn finishes Jayce takes a moment to ln before responding, "that's a shame. I mean... sure it's human nature to fear what you don't know but it seems so cruel to do that to another kingdom. Needless conflict always harms everyone involved." As Jayce spoke his eyes never left the crystal. He turns back to Yfirryn, "No trure Tyrant I've evver heard of would sacrifice themselves for their people. So many of them were selfish egotistical people, but this Queen Aenfya definitly seems like the kind of ruler this world needs." Jayce then decides to take a seat, "well if we have some time to kill, why don't you tell me a bit about yourself? if you'd rather not I would understand."

When they arrive in the city, Jax takes a deep breath and turns to the others. "So. What's our next step? I don't think hauling this stuff around for everyone to see is the best idea, but can't think of any alternatives."

Ursula

"Our next step is obvious: take a bath." Ursula replied casually. Her hair felts like glued to her forehead. Carrion nodded in agreement.

She caught the glimpse of Jayce at the distance and waved at him enthusiastly. "Is that you, Jay my boy? Are you coming here to give me my afternoon latte? Awww."

Aenera

Aenera, Jax and Ursula arrived at the city. Jax didn't think it was a good idea to carry all the stuff around. Aenera was about to say to put the small stuff in the boot of her SUV while selling the bigger stuff in the city for crystals, but Ursula rushed ahead to greet Jayce after commenting that a bath would be a good idea.

Yfirryn & Aenera

Yfirryn listened to Jayce and said: "I agree." When Jayce asked about Yfirryn, Yfirryn was about to tell Jayce about himself but suddenly someone called out to Jayce. It was an elf woman. Next to her were a giant mule, a dwarf and Aenera. A smile grew across Yfirryn's face and he said: "Aenera! Sister!" He ran to her and hugged Aenera. He then said in the native language: "It has been so long. I have missed you!" Replying in the local language Aenera said: "I missed you too, but please use basic while we have guests. Only use our tongue if it is confidential." Yfirryn nodded in agreement.

Yfirryn then turned to Jayce and said: "Then since you asked and the other guests are here, I shall formally introduce myself. My name is Yfirryn Manavyndir os Aenfyandes. Officially and with surname in basic, it's Yfirryn Manabrook. The "os Aenfyandes" only means "lineage or blood of Aenfya". So maybe if we were still a monarchy, I would be a prince." Yfirryn chuckled before continuing. "Anyways I am 25 years old and the second oldest child of the Manabrook family behind Aenera. Besides Aenera I have seven other siblings. I herd fire oxen, but I am training to become a priest and train my magic regularly. I look up to sis as a role model, but sadly I will never be as strong as her. There is a reason why she was the tribute and the high wizards took her at a young age. I am just happy I can spend more time with her now."

Yfirryn then turned to Aenera and said: "This time I wont let you leave without me. It's unbearable to be without you." Aenera sighed and said: "Fine. I guess it is time for you to see the outside world and you are in luck. I took some time off for a trip and might as well take you with us. I guess it should be okay with the others. But we wont be leaving today. We just got back from a wyvern hunt and need a place to load off our goods, sell the big parts and get washed up and changed. As you can see, we are covered in blood and guts."

Yfirryn then replied: "Well sure. You can place your goods in a spare space in the family warehouse and get washed either in the bathhouse, the family bath or in the lake. After you get done cleaning up we have prepared a feast for our guests. There should be plenty of food and drink for one more if you want to join us, Jayce. Are you fine with me calling you that or do you prefer something more formal?"

Last edited:
Jayce chuckles while returning the wave, "not quite miss Ursula, I came out to explore and learn a bit, I was surprised to see all this though." Jayce then turns to Yfirryn, "you know, there's all kinds of strength. You just have to do everything you can as you are and you will improve. and Jayce is fine of course, after all I'm nothing special." Jayce will nod, "if it isn't an issue, I would like to join you. Is there anything I can do to help? I work in a Cafe and I'm fairly strong, I'm sure I can be of use some how." He then nods to the others in greeting as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back