• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy 𝑰 𝑹𝒐𝒚𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝑫𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒊𝒔𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖~ ♚

Edric Blight

HE SHOOTS! HE SCOOOOORES!
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

I Royally Despise You​

A fantasy roleplay between spongiecake spongiecake and Edric Blight Edric Blight

Prince Sorren Calloway of Kezzain​

IMG_5633.jpeg

Prince Weylin Lysander of Gathia​

IMG_9109.jpeg

Princess Cecilia Lysander of Gathia​

IMG_5634.jpeg

It was a warm spring day when Sorren's life was forever changed.

He was a young boy who was slowly being molded into the perfect prince for the Kezzain Kingdom. He was obedient at times but always put up a fight when it came to having manners. He was a prickle in the maids' sides as he was usually making trouble for himself. Even as a young boy, he had a sharp tongue and a quick spirit when it came to arguing. It was a notable trait of his, one that he had learned; or, rather, received from his father--the king--due to the lack of presence he had in the young boy's life.

His Father was formidable in his nature as King. Though, he was quite admirable with his military formations and procedures. That was one of the many reasons why Kezzain was safe and its economy was ground-breaking. It was also what led Gathia to make an alliance with the structured kingdom. Gathia was like a skipping stone in the darkened waters of Kezzain. It sent ripples--disrupting ripples-- that brought new problems into the light of day.

But then again, it was merely a warm, simple spring day when Sorren's life was changed..

~

The Queen of Kezzain, Leora, was filled with admiration for Gathia's Queen. She found inspiration in her beauty and respected the woman's gracefulness. Queen Leora believed that if anything could softly influence her rough-edged son, it was another prince- someone that her eight-year-old could not only grow to admire but someone that Sorren would soon call his friend.

Arriving on the cold yet refreshing stones of the Gathia Palace, Queen Leora daintily made her appearance on the Kingdom Grounds with her Son following behind.

"Now Sorren, I needn't remind you to be on your best behavior. You're a Prince of high esteem and today changes nothing. Be kind to the Gathian Prince and Princess, would you?" His mother said in her most formal matter.

Young Sorren dragged his feet along. He hated days like these. The air was warm with a cool breeze which made him quite skeptical about which way the wind would blow (hopefully in his favor). He wanted to go home- to find his peace, locked away somewhere in the castle where no maid or attendant could find him. Lectures and being scowled was a common thing for him- something he had grown to hate most certainly.

"I think this is pointless," he said, plainly.

"Hush now, you're not king yet, so frankly, it doesn't matter what you think," the Queen wittily remarked back. A smile formed on her face as she mentioned a running joke that she had with her son. Being King was something that Sorren had no desire for. So, whenever Queen Leora teased him, it was almost like a small, little secret that he had with his mother. Plus, each time she even mentioned the meaningless detail, it seemed to put a smile on both of their faces.

It was a warm spring day in the Kingdom of Gathia like any other. The young now seven year old prince of Gathia woke up to be immediately pampered by maids, dressing him up and making him look pretty for the day ahead of him. On this particular day, his mother, the queen, had arranged a meeting with her and the Kingdom of Kezzain’s queen. Queen Cynthia Lysander of Gathia was a beautiful woman with dark brown hair who was as pretty as she was graceful. She was the perfect counter to the prince’s often hot-headed father, the king.

Young Prince Weylin sighed as his many maids worked busily to dress him for the day. Today, he would be meeting the Queen of Kezzain’s young son, Prince Sorren. The kingdoms of Gathia and Kezzain had been aligned for some time now, but never had the princes met each other before. The Gathian royal family thought had an excellent and close relationship with that of the royal family of Kezzain. This meeting between the princes was only meant to strengthen those ties, and for Queen Cynthia, hopefully to give her little boy prince a friend.

“Now remember master Weylin, your mother wants you on your best behavior today,” one of his maids reminded him. Weylin rolled his eyes, “Doesn’t she know I already know this?” he said, sighing as he turned around for the maids so they could dress him better. “Now now young man, you know you mother only wants the best for you,” said the female maid. Weylin nodded, “Right, but I do wish she had a bit more faith in me,” said the prince.

Prince Weylin was a stark contrast of his father. While his father, the king, was a more impulsive and hot-headed man, his son had inherited his mother’s good temperament. He was quite polite and mature for his age, evidence of his mother raising him well since his birth. While the king was off dealing with his duties and was largely absent in young Weylin’s life, Queen Cynthia was always a constant presence in the prince’s life. Although he was only seven, Weylin was being molded into a perfect little prince and future king. Even at his young age, he practically couldn’t wait to be king. It was his dream to inherit the Kingdom of Gathia from his dad. He was determined to be the best ruler he could be, with big ambitions for a very young prince.

“Is my sister getting ready too?” asked the young prince curiously. One of the maids nodded as she buttoned up Weylin’s shirt. “Yes sir, she should be ready in a bit. You know it usually takes a little longer to get the princess ready,” said the maid. Weylin nodded as his royal clothes were put on him and the outfit was complete. He was a lot less fussy than his younger sister, the princess of Gathia, six year old Cecilia. Cecilia was a beautiful young girl who looked strikingly like her mother. While Weylin seemed to inherit his father’s face, Cecilia had gotten most of their mother’s genes.

For Weylin, today was just another day of carrying out his princely duties, which he would do obediently. He was always eager to do the right thing by his parents and of course, wanted nothing more than to be king one day. Weylin seemed to precede his years, having a sense of maturity about him even for such a young boy. He was always obedient and never seemed to cause much trouble, something the queen was very proud of her son for. Weylin stayed still as the maids put the finishing touches on his look, combing his soft brown hair.

-

“Weylin! Cecilia! They’re here!” called his mother with her melodic voice. “Coming, mother!” Weylin assured his mother as he ran down the stairs and joined the queen by her side. Some attendants were dispatched to open the doors to the Gathian palace and allow the guests from Kezzain to enter. Queen Cynthia smiled as she held the hand of her young son as he scurried on over to her side. Soon enough, she was joined by the young princess, Cecilia, giggling as she ran over to her mother.

“Remember to be on your best behavior you two,” their mother reminded the young royal children. “Of course I will mother, you don’t even have to tell me this,” said Weylin, not liking when he was told how to act, feeling he already knew how to act as a result of hours of etiquette training from his mother and various maids. “Settle down sweet heart, I know you’ll do us proud,” said the queen. Cecilia grabbed her mother’s hand and smiled politely as she prepared to meet the queen of Kezzain and her son, the prince.

The large doors to the Gathian palace were opened to reveal a beautifully dressed woman and a young boy outside on the stone steps to the castle. “Leora!” Queen Cynthia said, smiling and welcoming the Queen of Kezzain with open arms. “Welcome to Gathia! So glad you could make it!” she said with a grin. She then looked down to her sides at her two children, dressed handsomely. “Weylin honey, why don’t you go say hello to the queen and greet her?” Cynthia suggested, gently urging on her son.

Weylin nodded obediently and stepped forward, looking up at the woman, who was much taller than he was. “Good morning ma’am,” said Weylin politely with a curt bow. “We welcome you to the Kingdom of Gathia!” said the young prince, making his mother smile. She had taught him well. So far, so good in terms of her children making a good impression of the Queen of Kezzain, a woman whom Cynthia admired. The queens of both kingdoms clearly had much love and respect for one another. As Weylin curtly bowed to the Queen of Kezzain, behind her he could see a well-dressed young boy, about his age, maybe a year older, standing there. He didn’t seem to want to be here at all, just judging by a quick look.

Leora’s smile lit up as she heard her name called out by the lovely Queen Cynthia. She was someone that Leora could call her friend, one who was quite familiar with her struggles being a mother and a queen to a kingdom. In her heart, Leora hoped that their children would find that friendship as well. Sorren needed this. Her son needed a friend more than any commoner boy in Kezzain.

“Cynthia! Beautiful as ever, my Darling. We are pleased to be on your Castle Grounds this time of year,” she said, sweetly. Her eyes fixated on the young prince who came forward, with a small nudge from his mother, to greet her most cordially.

“Hello, Prince Weylin. Your mother must be proud to have such a bright son as yourself.”

Weylin was not like Sorren.

The young Prince hovered behind his mother before stepping forward. He glanced at his mother, whispering a few ancient words in her native language she had taught him as a young child. His mother tsked under her breath, ignoring his coded complaints.

Sorren glanced at the Queen of Gathia with observant eyes. He wasn’t as poised and pleasing as Weylin, but he composed himself with enough manners to be somewhat prince-like.

“Thank you for you invite to Gathia, your Highness. The countryside is quite memorable,” he complimented. Though, his words almost seemed like he was repeating a compliment he read in a book or heard in a lecture. If you cared enough to pay attention, his words just didn’t seem sincere.

“Ah, yes, well- Sorren, greet the Queen’s children. They are younger than you but prove to keep great company,” his mother budded in, attempting to keep their conversation flowing. The Queen knelt down, brushing her son’s hair from his eyes before standing tall once more. She looked to Queen Cynthia.

“Let us leave the children to play, shall we? I assume your servants will be diligent with overseeing them,” she said as she moved forward to the Queen, assuming that they’d walk off to find privacy for their scandalous conversations.

“And we are nothing but pleased to have you here Leora!” Queen Cynthia said with a welcoming smile. “You look stunning this morning,” complimented the Gathian queen. Queen Leora was certainly someone that Cynthia considered a good friend. She was glad for the relationship the kingdoms of Kezzain and Gathia had with each other. She was certainly proud as her son came forward to cordially greet the queen of Kezzain. It was just like he had been taught- executed perfectly.

“Why thank you, ma’am. It is an honor to be in your presence, your royal highness,” said Weylin with yet another bow and a sweet smile. He quite enjoyed carrying out his princely duties. It made him feel like an older boy, even like a king. He was always willing to make his family proud by being the best prince of Gathia that he could. Although he was certainly remembering back to his lectures on etiquette, he had delivered his lines genuinely, unlike the prince of Kezzain.

Weylin eyed the prince of Kezzain, looking at the boy as he complimented his kingdom’s countryside. This though clearly seemed to please his mother the queen, judging by Cynthia’s smile and clapping her hands together with joy. “Such a handsome young prince! commented Cynthia. “The pleasure is all mine, we are very pleased to have you here in Gathia,” said the queen.

Prince Weylin looked up at Queen Leora as she urged her son, the young prince of Kezzain, who was a year older than he, to greet both him and his sister. Weylin took it upon himself to present himself to the prince of Kezzain, taking a step forward and smiling politely as he had been taught. Clearly he enjoyed and was much better at carrying out his princely duties than Sorren.

“Why yes, that sounds like an excellent idea, doesn’t it?” Queen Cynthia said. “Run along now you three, I trust that you will all behave,” she said, sending for a few servants to watch over the children as they mingled. “Yes mother!” said Weylin obediently as the servants came to whisk the children away to a separate room so the queens could be left to their own.

“Come along now, Leora. We’ve got much to discuss,” said Cynthia with a smile, very much looking forward to talking with the queen of Kezzain. “Your royal highnesses, follow me,” said one of the servants as he led the three royal children into another room. A few servants watched over the children as they were left to play.

Weylin, figuring it was the princely thing to do, took it upon himself to introduce himself to the prince of Kezzain. “Good morning to you,” said the young seven year old prince with a polite smile as he bowed slightly to Sorren. “It is an honor to meet you,” he said, remembering what he was told in his classes. “I am Prince Weylin, and this is my little sister Princess Cecilia. We are most grateful to have you here in Gathia.” Weylin said cordially.

Young Princess Cecilia shyly waved and smiled, covering her lower face with one of her hands as she stood behind her brother. She knew that her older brother tended to handle these situations better so she was more than happy to let Weylin take the lead. “Might I ask what your name is?” Weylin inquired the prince of Kezzain, keeping it formal as always.

Sorren was obedient as the servant led them to separate quarters of the Palace, a part that was more fitful for the royal highnesses to enjoy away from their mothers.

He hated being surrounded by servants. Sorren enjoyed his solitude, seeing that it was better than being watched over by strangers who worked for Kezzain. Their fake attitudes always annoyed him. It made Sorren tempted to play jokes and pranks on the innocent servants of his land, but he knew better not to.

He watched as the Gathian Prince approached him, greeting him.

“An honor to meet me?” Sorren asked, repeating the same words that Weylin had just spoken. “Our mothers aren’t around, you can drop the formality.”

“I’m Prince Sorren, but if you must, you can call me Sorren,” he said plainly.

It seemed he wasn’t up for a confrontation.

“I find it depressing to know that our mothers want us to be friends. I’m eight years old. I think I’m practically old enough to soon be king— old enough to not need friends if you asked me,” he blabbered on with a royal tone of dignity and cockiness.

But seriously, why would a Prince need a friend? In Sorren’s mind, this whole interaction was pointless.

Weylin had always liked having servants ready to cater to his every whim. He didn’t abuse that power but it certainly made him feel more like a prince- more like a king. Sometimes though they could be a bit overbearing, doing too much at times in Weylin’s eyes. At the end of the day though, Weylin was very grateful for his maids and servants, many of whom had helped raise him since he was a baby.

Prince Weylin smiled as he greeted the prince of Kezzain politely and formally. As he awaited the other prince’s response, his smile instantly washed away as the other spoke. Weylin raised his eyebrow, confused by the demeanor of the other prince. It seemed so- well, un-prince-like. Weylin just looked stunned as he was told to drop the formality. To him, he was just doing what was right by the kingdom- what he had been taught to do.

He didn’t really have any friends growing up secluded from the commoners in the royal palace. Weylin assumed he was taking the right steps to make a new friend- especially one from another royal family. But he was certainly caught off guard by Sorren’s reaction to his introduction. Weylin just stared, wide eyed and curiously as Sorren went on. It was like Sorren had dropped down from another planet. Weylin was surprised that the prince would say such things!

“Erm, o- ok, I- I was just trying to be polite,” shrugged Weylin, struggling to understand what was going on. He was so wired for formality and was so well-mannered that he was surprised by Sorren’s response to his politeness. Weylin frowned a little as he analyzed the other prince. Clearly Sorren wasn’t into this whole “being friends thing” as much as Weylin was.

“Well Prince Sor- I mean Sorren,” said Weylin, trying his best to be informal (if he even knew what being informal was). “I think our friendship would be beneficial to both our kingdoms,” he said, adding a little smile to try to lighten the mood a little bit. “After all, diplomacy is one of the many duties of a prince that wishes to become king one day!” Weylin said.

Weylin admittedly was a little off put by Sorren’s snobbery but still tried to keep things amicable between the two. It was his job as prince, wasn’t it? “I for one think a friendship between us would be wonderful, even fun!” Weylin said optimistically with a grin. “I- I’ve never really had a friend before…” he admitted softly. “It would be an honor- I mean… it would be quite amazing to be your friend!” Weylin said, trying his best with every fiber of his being not to do what he felt was right and be overly formal with the other young prince.

Sorren watched as Prince Weylin was taken aback by his response. It seemed the boy wasn’t used to such informality. Maybe he was helping him break out of his royal shell, comfortable with the life of having an eccentrically royal way of speaking.

He was pleased with his compliance to speak on more friendly terms. However, Sorren’s small smile faded as Weylin began speaking about their Kingdoms. Was it so hard to forget for a moment that they weren’t heirs to the mightiest Kingdoms the land had to offer? Sometimes, in secrecy, young Sorren wished he lived a simpler life— maybe his Father would shine him a stray of attention, maybe his mother would refrain from her gossiping ways. Though, that wasn’t the case, and, unfortunately, he was merely a prince with a bright, yet intimidating, future ahead of him. Even at the young age of eight (almost eight-in-a-half in his mind), he was aware of all the things his life would soon lead to: becoming king.

“Do you wish to be King or is that what your servants taught you to long for?” he asked, softly.

Sorren glanced back at a maid who was standing near the door, gazing off as if she were pretending she wasn’t there, listening to the small children’s discussions.

“Nevermind that, I don’t want to spoil your mood with any of my insightful questions. But yes, I’m Prince Sorren and I think it’d be best if we became friends- for the sake of our mothers. They seem like good friends already, which means I’ll probably be seeing you frequently.”

Sorren then took a deep breath as if he was trying to refresh his mind of any negativity lingering inside of him.

“So, uhm,” his tone sounded different, a bit softer after the realization set in that he wasn’t being the most pleasant guest, even if he was a prince. “How old are you? Do you often have time to play or are you busy with lectures from scholars across the land?”

Weylin took a short moment to process Sorren’s question before answering. With a small smile, he spoke. “Well, I do wish to be king one day.” he said. “I hope to inherit my father’s kingdom and be the best ruler I can be,” he said, almost with a little hopeful twinkle in his eyes. His face seemed to light up a bit as Sorren came around to the idea of being friends. Even if it was because it was what their mothers wanted, the prospect of having a new friend was exciting for Weylin.

“I do think it would be most lovely if we were friends!” Weylin said excitedly, maybe a little overly so. “Our mothers seem to really like each other,” said Weylin with a grin. He enjoyed seeing his mother so happy seeing the queen of Kezzain. Weylin was glad with the shift in Sorren’s demeanor. It was certainly a welcome change. He then frowned a little bit as Sorren asked his next question- a very good one.

“I’m seven, but I’m almost eight,” he answered. “My sister here is six,” he said, pointing over to the princess, who seemed to be in her own world right now. “I don’t really have much time to play,” admitted Weylin with a small frown. “I am usually so busy in different classes and lectures regarding my princely duties and a member of the royal family that I don’t have much time to play,” he told the other prince. As much as Weylin enjoyed being the crown Prince of Gathia, it did bring its troubles.

Sorren frowned, his brows furrowed slightly as the other prince told him he was seven, almost eight. He didn’t like being around younger children. They made him feel as if he was old, though, this was an ideal that he was influenced on. His mother, quite frequently, would complain in private that she hated being among young maidens, especially ones that were younger than her because it made her feel old. So, to be more like his mother, Sorren thought it would be best to follow this mindset of someone he looked up to most: his mother.

“Well, I’m eight-and-a-half, and I do not like being around young people.”

However, the young and poised little boy raised his eyebrows at what Weylin said next. He didn’t have time for playtime. It was a spark— something they had in common.

“Exactly!” he shouted with joy, happy that someone was finally speaking his language. “My teacher Lorenzo, he always goes on and on about my proper etiquette and how, sometimes, I’m clumsy with memorizing my geography!”

He groaned and became a bit more animated as his stiffness melted away.

“What is your favorite thing to learn? I like writing—plus, sketching is quite fun! However, Lorenzo tells me that neither things will take me far. He says I must expand my knowledge on trade and sophisticated things like- blah blah blah!”

Weylin frowned slightly as Sorren expressed that he wasn’t exactly be big fan of being around younger kids. To Weylin, it didn’t really matter. Plus, Sorren was only a year older than him. That wasn’t that big of an age gap, right? Weylin also liked to think that he preceded his years, seeming much older than he actually was. And he did- his maturity was unmatched for being only seven years old. Weylin though was determined to show Sorren that he could be “cool” around the older prince. He was determined to befriend the young prince of Kezzain.

He noticed a shift again in Sorren’s attitude as he seemed to become more animated and engaged in the conversation. Weylin couldn’t help but smile softly as it seemed their talk was actually going somewhere and in the right direction. Finally, they had quickly found something they can both relate to. “Sometimes I just wish I had time to play like all the commoner boys do all the time,” said Weylin with a longing sigh.

“But I do know it’s part of my responsibility as a prince,” he said. Weylin had always had a secret desire just for one day to get away from the posh royal lifestyle and see what it was like to live life as a commoner. As much as he loved being prince, he did sometimes envy seeing the commoner boys going outside to play with each other while he had to stay locked up in the royal palace.

He tried to keep his mind off of that though and smiled as he answered Sorren’s next question. If there was one thing Weylin loved to do, it was to learn. He had a curious mind and was always willing and interested in class to learn something new. “Oh I quite like history! That’s my favorite subject,” said Weylin with a grin. “Learning about the history of my kingdom and kingdoms abroad is just thrilling to me!” he told the other boy prince.

Weylin then paused for a moment as his mind once again lingered on the thought of playing- or at least having some leisure time and getting to spend it not doing princely duties. He thought back to his longing to play out in a schoolyard with the commoner boys just once. It was lonely not having any friends and having private lectures administered to him by the palace servants. “Do you ever wonder what it would be like to be a commoner boy? Just for a day maybe?” Weylin asked curiously. “I’ve always wished I could play more and have friends,” he said.

“History is alright. I have a bad memory..but, my teacher scowls me either way, so I try my best,” Sorren shrugged.

He was a bratty boy who was defiant when it came to studying. He enjoyed the simple things in life, which was quite peculiar given that Sorren was anything but simple. He was a royal little prince, raised and bred to dictate trade, and armies, and govern the people of Kezzain. That was his only purpose, but he didn’t know that yet.

“Haha, of course, I’ve wished that to be so! Though, I’d like to live in the countryside. I don’t like animals, but I like the solitude that a farm would bring me,” he began.

“As for friends, I don’t need them— that’s what Lorenzo told me too, so it must be true. What about you? Where would you like to live?”

Weylin frowned slightly as he took a small step forward towards Sorren. “Well, everybody needs friends,” he said softly. “Even royals need friends,” he said. “Our mothers seem to get along quite well. I know my mother gets very excited when talking about yours,” said Weylin. He was hoping this comparison to the friendship of their mothers would make a friendship between him and Sorren more desirable.

“Hmm, I guess I’ve always wondered what it would be like to live in a town or small village.” Weylin told him. “The rare times I’m let out of the palace, when my mother or one of the servants takes me out, I can sometimes see a group of commoner boys playing around and having fun with each other in the village,” said Weylin. “But mother says as a royal I should largely avoid mingling with commoners,” he shrugged.

Sorren thought for a moment about the Prince’s words. What he was saying did make sense. Though, it was a bit strange since it contradicted what Lorenzo had taught him. Maybe it was something he could ask his mother when she had the spare time for him. The boy simply stayed silent, slowly meditating on Weylin’s claim about how important friends were.

“Commoners seem boring and yet their lives seem ever-so-slightly better than ours..” Sorren muttered in agreement.

“What games have you seen the other children play? What’s stopping us from playing commoner games, hm? Maybe it will make us feel a little bit more like them,” he proposed with a confident smile.

Weylin had to agree with that. As boring as commoners seemed to be to the royal young prince, their lives seemed to be full of simple pleasures and enjoyment. He smiled as he recalled watching a group of commoner boys from afar playing in a schoolyard so blissfully. “I don’t get out of the palace much, but I do recall a game that seems popular with the commoner boys,” he said.

“It seems so simple but so fun. I don’t quite understand the game but it seems that the boys kick and chase around a ball and try to get it in some sort of netting,” described Weylin. “Those boys always seem so happy kicking around that ball- it seems so strange but enjoyable,” said Weylin. “I don’t suppose we have one of those balls laying around the palace,” said Weylin with a frown. Maybe he could ask a servant. Surely they’d be able to get him and Sorren a ball in an instant.

“I think it’d be fun! It sounds a bit useless and quite stupid but what else should we expect from a commoner?” Sorren asked rhetorically in a matter-of-fact tone. The young prince glanced at one of the servants standing poised and obedient in the corner of the large room. “You there! Fetch us a ball- something we can play with. That would be most suiting.”

With that request, the servant bowed and muttered some genuine response before exiting the room to satisfy the highnesses’ needs.

The boys played for a while, playing new games, discussing topics and overall, they had a merry time together. It had been a while since Sorren had smiled so much. He ventured home with his mother who continuously commented on how much she enjoyed her time at the Gathia palace. It warmed her heart to see her son so happy because of his new friend.

-

It wasn’t long before Sorren and his mother returned back to Gathia to visit their good friends, the Royal Family; and, it wasn’t long before their visits became frequent.

The boys grew closer together, becoming the best of friends who complained about their scholars and teachers, played jokes on the helpless servants, and they even went as far as playing a few jokes on the beautiful Prince Cecelia- a girl that Sorren, in his ripe age of eleven, could not stand. Well, for a matter of fact, he couldn’t stand most of the girls whom were around him. They chattered and gossiped, flapping their mouths with yip that was pointless. He’d rather voyage the Kingdom Dungeons with a blindfold than speak to a distant princess. But, the one drawback of being around Weylin was that his sister was usually lingering around.

-

It was the hottest time of the year- a time where Kingdoms flourished with exquisite heat, causing trade to boost from the peculiar supply of items that traveled in and out of the lands. The nations were at peace and it seemed everything was going well. It was pleasing. It gave signs that both Gathia and Kezzain had strong leaders but stronger bonds.

Sorren didn’t care about what was happening in his world. All he cared about was seeing his best friend today. He had great news.

The Kezzain Carriage came to a halt, finally allowing Sorren to rush out to find his friend. It had been a while since they had seen each other because Sorren had caught his seasonal summer-solstice cold (which was the name that Weylin gave for Sorren’s silly, stubborn cold that usually appeared for a week during the hottest times of the years).

The young Prince dashed through the kingdom’s halls that had become familiar to him over the years. His polished shoes clicked as his footsteps echoed across the marble flooring. He made his way through the maze of hallways and corridors before finally catching an open door where he assumed Weylin was in.

“Weylin? Are you in your studies room?” the boy asked as he slowly approached the door. He knew well enough not to call out the Prince’s name.

Weylin smiled and nodded, excited to engage in a “commoner” activity that seemed like such simple fun. It wasn’t too often that the prince got to have fun. Most of his days were filled with lectures upon lectures. Weylin watched as Sorren demanded that one of the servants overseeing them grabbed them a ball or something along those lines. Of course, the servant obliged Gathia’s guest, taking Prince Sorren’s orders as if they were orders from the prince of Gathia.

When the servant came back with a ball, Weylin’s face lit up. The servant tossed the ball on the floor near Weylin and Sorren and Weylin grinned, excited to play. He laughed and giggled as he kicked around the ball on the floor just as he had seen the commoner boys do. Eventually, Sorren got into it and the two boys engaged in a fun game of keep-away. Weylin couldn’t recall a time he had that much fun!

The young princes enjoyed the day together, playing and talking, bonding with each other. Weylin was sad to say the least when the day came to an end and Sorren and his mother needed to leave the Gathian palace to go back home, but luckily for him, that was certainly not the last he would see of the prince of Kezzain. Due to the flourishing and strong relationship between the kingdoms of Gathia and Kezzain, Prince Sorren and his mother would make frequent appearances at the Gathian palace, giving Weylin an opportunity to play and hang out with his new best friend.

-

A few years passed and Prince Weylin’s friendship with Prince Sorren only strengthened. The two young boys got along very well together, and it seemed that Sorren was willing to push past the fact that Weylin was only about a year younger than him. They had become best friends, enjoying their time together and bonding over many things. Both of them being young royals and the heir to the throne of their respective kingdoms, they found that they had a lot in common.

Now, Prince Weylin was ten years old and was developing into a dashing and outstanding young prince. He was being groomed to become a suitable successor to his father one day. It seemed that Weylin’s budding relationship with Sorren was representative of the alliance between the kingdoms of Kezzain and Gathia. As Weylin and Sorren’s friendships seemed to grow stronger, so did the bonds between Gathia and Kezzain.

-

On this particular hot summer day in the Kingdom of Gathia, Prince Weylin was in his study finishing up some studying. He was going over his notes on a recent lecture, diligently jotting down a few things in a small notebook at his desk. He figured he’d get some work done before his best friend, the prince of Kezzain was set to arrive at any minute now. It seemed like the Gathian palace was becoming a second home for Sorren, he was there so often over the years.

Just as Weylin was scribbling down something in his little notebook, he heard a familiar voice speaking to him from behind the door to his studies room. He dropped his pen and raised his eyebrows, immediately perking up and smiling. It was his best friend, Sorren at the door. Weylin quickly shoved his notebook to the side and got up and out of his seat. “Yes Sorren! I am! Just finished up in there!” he said as he came to the door.

Weylin then opened the door to his study and grinned as before him, he saw a welcomed sight- his best friend, the prince of Kezzain. “Sorren! Welcome!” Weylin greeted him happily, stepping outside of his study room. “Finally over that wretched cold?” he asked with a little chuckle, knowing that Sorren always seemed to get sick around this time of year.

Weylin was completely unaware of the supposed great news that Sorren had for him. To him, this was just another one of many times that Soren was visiting the Gathian kingdom with his mother. “It’s good to see you,” said the ten year old prince with a smile. “I’ve missed you quite a bit!” he said.

Sorren entered the room, comfortable enough to roam around wherever he wanted. He had a smile on his face as he locked eyes with his best friend, Weylin.

“Yes! That nasty cold got the better of me- but only for a moment. Though I didn’t quite mind, it meant that I didn’t have my daily lectures,” he shrugged.

Sorren approached Weylin’s desk, sitting on the table before twisting his head like an owl to read what Weylin was scribbling down.

“I see you’re still diligent with your studies, hm?” Sorren raised his eyebrows softly as he smirked.

He then leaned forward and playfully ruffled the Prince’s hair.

“You’re too proper for your own good— too royal, that is. I mean, it’s like you were practically born to be king!” he teased an on-going joke that the boys made up some time ago.

The Prince then softly exhaled with his reluctant smile. He gazed at his friend whom he had not seen in a few weeks. Sorren wouldn’t likely admit it, but he missed his dear friend.

“It’s good to see you too. I’m sure life without your best friend is quite lonesome, hm?”

Weylin looked at his friend as he entered the room, locking eyes with him as he answered his earlier question. “Oh good! I knew that cold wouldn’t get the best of you for too long,” said Weylin with a grin. “And I do know how much you like skipping lectures and classes,” he said. The two young princes certainly differed there. Weylin found that he actually quite enjoyed his lectures whereas clearly they were a bother to Sorren.

The prince of Gathia watched as his best friend walked over to his desk, making himself at home and sitting on top of it as he looked at Weylin. Weylin approached his desk as Sorren looked down at his open notebook to see what he had been writing about previously. They were just some notes on history for one of Weylin’s various classes. The young prince was always good with keeping up with his studies.

Weylin giggled a bit and smiled as his friend ruffled his hair playfully. He quickly ran his hands through his hair to adjust it back to a more normal and comfortable position. After all, he was a prince- he had to look presentable at all times, didn’t he? It was a small habit but yet another instance of Weylin taking his role in the royal family very seriously.

“Of course I’m still diligent with my studies silly, mother says I’ve ought to keep on top of them!” Weylin said, always obedient to his mother’s wishes. Weylin couldn’t help but smile and roll his eyes at Sorren as he called him “too proper.” It was something the boys had joked about a lot. Weylin was always prim and proper, even at times when it seemed unnecessary. It was a product of the way he was raised ever since he was young.

“I suppose so,” said Weylin softly, brushing it off. A key difference between the two princes was their demeanor and attitude. Sorren clearly didn’t value nor take seriously his position in a royal family as seriously and as hardcore as Weylin did. While Weylin wanted to do everything he could to make his mother and father proud and show that he was a good prince, Sorren didn’t really seem to mind either way.

But, Sorren did have a point. Weylin did act “too royal” at times. Weylin was certainly molded into the perfect little prince and future king. The young prince always wanted to prove to everyone that he was a suitable heir to the Gathian throne. Although there was no changing the way Weylin was, he certainly felt more comfortable and a bit laid back when his best friend Sorren came over. Prince Sorren was essentially his only real friend. It was a friendship that Weylin valued immensely.

After he had finished adjusting and fixing his well-combed hair back to the way it was before the hair ruffle from Sorren, Weylin smiled softly as he looked at the other prince sitting on his desk. From a young age Weylin was told never to put his butt on anything that wasn’t designated as a chair or seat, but he didn’t mind that Sorren was doing it. Weylin nodded, “It was quite lonely without you, Sorren,” he told the other prince. “Mother and the scholars have certainly kept me very busy though,” he said.

“So, anything new with you?” Prince Weylin asked his best friend, curiously.

“Yes, yes, your mother and all the scholars of the land love you for your diligence. They think you’re great! More fit than anyone to be King for the beautiful land of Gathia!” Sorren said in an exaggerated tone as he extended his arm out, throwing back his head in a theatrical expression.

“Though, I don’t quite disagree with them. I think you’re somewhat adequate for the job,” he winked softly before smiling. He just loved to tease his poised and proper friend.

Sorren then fixed his collar a bit, moving it to the right and then to the left as it irritated him. On days like these, traveling outside of the castle, it was always necessitated that he needed to wear his most fine clothes- the most expensively made linen cloths were of much importance. The young prince hopped off of Weylin’s desk, the desk he knew he’d be scowled for sitting on, before moving to the window which gave a beautiful glimpse of the outside grounds.

Sorren hummed softly, almost as if he was lost in thought. Maybe he didn’t want to focus on what was yet to come from his mouth.

“Well..” his voice sounded a bit strained, almost as if regret was seeping through his body all at once.

“My Father spoke to me, days after I was well again,” he paused, fixating on something outside of the window.

“He wants me to study abroad. He says it’s caused him to worry that I find no incitement with my studies..” he said, pausing once more.

Sorren then turned around to face Weylin once more, locking eyes with him to focus on the other prince’s reactions.

“But- worry not! I explained to my Father that it wasn’t my fault! It was Lorenzo’s boring lectures! He’s been sent away for good and I’ll be receiving a new teacher soon,” he smiled.

“I could never leave Kezzain— why, I could never leave you either! I mean, this is my home— it would feel so strange to travel miles away. I’d be scared to leave and never return. Though, I promise you I won’t leave,” he said with a grin so wide. It seemed the news came shocking to Sorren as much as it did to anyone. Though, the young boy was happy to hear he’d be able to spend his days in Kezzain once more.

Weylin grinned and rolled his eyes at Sorren’s teasing. Of course, it was all in good fun. Even though Sorren was only jesting, it was a fact that it was clear that Weylin, even at his young age, was the most fit to take over the throne when that day came. He was the king’s only male heir so he was the next logical choice once the king died. Luckily it helped that the boy next in like for the throne showed much promise. Prince Weylin certainly was fit to be a king someday. But he had to be. As the only male child of the king and queen it was his duty to take over the kingdom one day.

That or the other option seemed so preposterous- giving the kingdom to his younger sister. A girl as the heir and next ruler of Gathia? Such a thought was unheard of! The throne was as good as Weylin’s. All he had to do was play the long waiting game, which he didn’t mind. When that time came though, thanks to his training and grooming in the royal palace, Weylin was surely going to be a perfect king. He had his mother’s great traits and his father’s good looks (not that the queen wasn’t stunningly beautiful, but Prince Weylin did look more like his father, the king).

“I’m glad to have your vote of confidence. Luckily here in Gathia, that won’t matter,” chuckled Weylin, joking back with Sorren. Weylin knew that it was a long way away, but he felt excited and confident about inheriting the Kingdom of Gathia one day in the future and ruling it as the king. He loved his sister dearly but he certainly wasn’t going to let her take his rightful place. Weylin was always sure to be on his best behavior, but he did feel he could relax a bit when it was just him and Sorren.

The young prince of Gathia watched as the prince from Kezzain hopped off of his desk and went to go sit by the open window. The hot summer sun shined brightly through the glass panes, giving light to the study room. It was quite the beautiful view of the palace grounds from up there. Weylin watched closely and curiously as Sorren seemed to get lost in looking outside at the pretty sprawling countryside of Gathia near the palace. His smile slowly faded into an expression of curiosity and concern as Sorren began to speak, the words seeming almost hard to get out.

As Weylin listened to what Sorren had to say, his eyebrows raised and his eyes widened slightly. A look of worry came across Weylin’s face as the implications of Sorren studying abroad began to become apparent. On one hand he was extremely happy for and excited for his best friend getting the opportunity to travel and study abroad. It would be an unforgettable and beneficial experience no doubt. On the other hand though, that meant he’d be losing his best friend for a long time. Weylin remained silent but clearly worried as Sorren went on.

At least Weylin’s fears were somewhat subdued as Sorren informed him that he’d never leave Kezzain and wouldn’t be studying abroad but rather getting a new teacher. He felt much better as he saw a big grin form on Sorren’s face as he told him how much he loved being here and in Kezzain and that he wouldn’t be going anywhere. This was a relief for Weylin! “Phew! For a second or two there, I thought you were going to be leaving me here all alone!” said Weylin, smiling.

“I’m very glad to hear that you’re staying put here. I’d certainly miss getting to see you so often,” said Weylin with a little frown, thinking about a reality in which he infrequently or even never saw his best friend. “But you do need to start focusing better on your studies, Sorren!” Weylin reminded him firmly, coming from a place of love. “We wouldn’t want your father to reconsider…” he said. “I don’t know what I’d do without you Sorren! I wouldn’t have my best friend if you went to study abroad! Thank heavens you’re staying!” Weylin said, a wave of relief washing over him.

"Nonsense. My Father is a stubborn man who never changes his mind twice. He's decided to let me stay home, in Kezzain, close to you, Weylin," he shook his head. Sorren walked over to where his friend continued to sit at his desk.

He listened as the Prince went on about how he needed to focus on his studies. He was starting to sound like the infamously annoying Lorenzo, who was soon to be forgotten now that his time in the Kezzain Kingdom had ended. Sorren rolled his eyes before folding his arms. He sighed softly but kept his eyes focused on his friend.
"I'm just bored, Weylin. This isn't what I want with life," he began. It seemed the young boy was searching for a way to change their conversation quickly.

"But, maybe you could teach me?" a playful smile spread across his face once more. Sorren took up one of his more silly and animated tones, something that only happened whenever he was around his best friend. "I'd be forever gifted if Prince Weylin of Gathia taught me his methodical ways of how he studies like the great scholars before his time!"

Sorren held in a small snort as he tried not to hysterically laugh. The boy covered his mouth with his hand for a moment but his smile peaked over his hand as he locked eyes with his friend. He couldn't hold it back anymore- the young prince began laughing melodically, filling the cold study room with a lighter, more soothing atmosphere.

"Haha- of course you'd miss me! I'm the only person who can make you laugh, right? I promise I won't leave you," he promised once more. "If I did, I'm sure Cecellia would drive you more mad than you already are!"

He never liked Weylin's sister, no matter how hard he tried. She was always so annoying.

“Good, very good,” said Weylin with a nod, glad and relieved that his friend would be staying in Kezzain, close to Gathia. Weylin’s eyes followed Sorren as he got up and walked over to his desk to be closer to him. Weylin wouldn’t have it any other way- he could have his one and only best friend leave for some far off land! That would leave Weylin all alone with no one!

Weylin sighed and frowned as Sorren went on about being bored with his studies. As much as Weylin understood not wanting to study, he knew how necessary it was for them, given their position as princes and the heir to each of their kingdom’s respective thrones. Although he was younger, it seemed that Weylin knew the value of their studies more than Sorren and took it a bit more seriously.

He would’ve gone on giving Sorren a boring lecture he no doubt had received many times before about how it was his responsibility as prince, but he couldn’t help but smile and roll his eyes as Sorren teased him. It seemed that Sorren was the only person Weylin could lighten up around, and the same went for Sorren with Weylin. “Hmm, I’ll consider it,” replied Weylin with a smirk. “I can’t guarantee I’ll make it anymore fun than mister Lorenzo,” he chuckled.

“Well- I’m sure I’d be fine without you…” said Weylin, blushing ever so slightly as Sorren laughed. “For a little while at least…” he said, unconvincingly. He then paused. “Ok- maybe I WOULD miss you- and quite a bit at that…” admitted Weylin. Sorren’s promise that he wouldn’t leave Weylin was certainly reassuring to say the least.

He then laughed and rolled his eyes, filling the air with his little giggle, adding to the overall light mood now in the room. “I guess she would drive me insane,” he said, grinning. “But I’m sure I could survive my younger sister!” Weylin said. “I’m just glad we don’t even need to consider a reality in which you leave here.” said the young prince. “Although I don’t imagine a reality in which I could teach you your class material. If Lorenzo couldn’t do it, surely I couldn’t handle such a hefty task,” pointed out Weylin. “After all, teaching the royal Prince of Kezzain is no joke!” he said with a smirk.

“Well, I guess I have a lot to learn from you, Sir Weylin,” he teased once more as he leaned forward, smirking in a cocky manner.

“Maybe I’ll be the most wise king in the land if I had you as my Tutor!” he threw up his arms in the air once more in an animated, excited way.

“But also, don’t dwell on what I’ve said. I’m not leaving anytime soon, unfortunately for you,” he teased. “However, it somewhat warms my heart to hear that you value our friendship as much as I do...”

-

Sorren left the Gathian Palace with a smile on his face. It was a good day well spent (as always) with his best friend, Weylin. He didn’t want to leave the peculiar comfort that Weylin gave him. Though, he knew it wouldn’t be long until he’d come back to see his best friend.

That wasn’t the case.

Sorren didn’t come back.

He didn’t return until many, many years had passed.. too many years.

The young boy was stolen in the night (figuratively of course, because no one was as great as Royalty! He had the power to do anything! Except.. he lacked the power to stand up to the King, his Father), and practically shipped off a week or so later after making a promise to his best friend.

As formidable as the King was, he wasn’t a monster. He allowed Sorren the opportunity to say goodbye to his friend before sailing off on voyage to a distant land called Trellasees. Though, the young boy didn’t take up on his opportunity. How could he face Weylin? What would he say? How would his friend— the boy whom he cared about dearly— how would he take the news?

It was better to leave without a trace of insight of his whereabouts.

His Father promised he’d learn good things. Maybe, through this journey, he’d learn to be a better man, someone who could be more suitable for the throne. Maybe Sorren wasn’t fit for this type of life at all. However, he knew that his life was about to change entirely.

And his life did change.

Sorren grew in his knowledge and stature. He measured well past six-feet tall. His hair had grown, giving him a dashing new look. He looked more like a combination of his Father and Mother. Sorren looked like a King. He looked like what his Father wanted him to be and it seemed that’s all that mattered to the King.

In a foreign land, Sorren found solitude to be his only friend. He had new yet boring teachers who were more strict than the poor, ever-defeated Lorenzo. His new teachers were of the meanest kind, the type who were ruthless to any back-talk. Sorren’s antics were not welcomed there and he found, for the first time in his Princely life, he wasn’t treated like Royalty.

So, without the influence of his sweet, successful friend Weylin and, without the ever-growing influence of his dear mother, Sorren had changed- or maybe, he stayed someone he wished he wasn’t, despite growing to be eighteen years old.

-

It felt weird to be back home. The voyage by ship to the lovely land of Kezzain was exciting. Sorren always loved the sea and the sound of birds calling out to the idiotic humans below humored him. The sound of waves crashing against the wooden boards were soothing in a strange way.

Though, as he was transported by Carriage to the Kingdom’s extravagant palace, he didn’t feel welcome or at ease to be back home. Sorren felt different- sure, but he didn’t feel happy.

It was rare that he was happy. It wasn’t something he was owed. The only thing he was given at birth was the hideous future of being King of a Land he found no favor in. Maybe he was erudite from the teachings in Trellasees but at what cost? He felt more inadequate then ever due to his long leave from the only home he knew. The home he never realized he loved so much. Sorren was taken away from the people who influenced his life. He was taken away from his best friend to whom he was ashamed to depart from. Weylin was someone who probably hated him- or worse, he didn’t remember him at all.

Weylin smiled and laughed, glad to have the company of his best friend. Little did he know, that would be the last time he had ever seen his best friend- at least for a long time. Unbeknownst to him that day, his friend would break the promise he had insisted on making with him multiple times. Sorren wasn’t coming back. Weylin expected to see his best friend again sometime soon. The other prince would just end up disappearing and never coming back….

-

That was or so eight years ago. It felt like so long ago since Weylin had last seen the prince that he called his best friend. Weylin was ten years old when Sorren has mysteriously disappeared for what seemed like forever. Weylin was now the ripe age of seventeen years old, practically a young adult man now. Over the years, Prince Weylin had grown to be taller and even more handsome than before. He was certainly a splitting image of his father, the king. Needless to say, the prince became the subject of countless Gathian commoner schoolgirls’ fantasies.

-

The first few weeks after what Weylin never knew would be his last meeting with Prince Sorren for a very long time, were filled with confusion and concern. The ten year old prince had noticed that his best friend had stopped coming over. Eventually Weylin would get so curious, he would ask his mother. Unfortunately, the queen didn’t have an adequate answer for him.

Months had eventually passed and Weylin became a bit depressed, wondering what had happened to his best friend. Was it something he said? Was Sorren hurt? Was he sick? As a year passed and Weylin turned eleven, it became clear in his mind that this wasn’t any sort of sickness- Sorren was gone, for whatever reason.

As the years passed, Weylin never forgot about his best friend. The first few years Weylin spent thinking quite a lot about his best friend, missing Sorren very deeply. But eventually, life went on. Weylin became so focused and invested in his studies that eventually, the memory of his childhood best friend faded away. He worried more about being the Prince of Gathia than as to the whereabouts of his mysteriously vanished friend.

-

By the time Prince Weylin was seventeen, he had essentially entirely forgotten about Sorren. All the anger and confusion towards Sorren regarding his initial disappearance were gone. Hell, the Gathian prince didn’t even think of Sorren anymore after a certain point.

At least Weylin had his eighteenth birthday party to look forward to. As the prince of Gathia and a member of the royal family, it was expected that his eighteenth birthday celebration would be extravagant. It was only a week until Prince Weylin’s mother and father had planned his eighteenth birthday ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back