• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Hunter's Moon: The Sin & Sentence [IC] [CLOSED]

Ralvas' Territory - Castle of False Pride - Shadow Battle - TURN 4
Venextos attempts to heal Riberta (Medical Beam.) D6 used. Chance roll = 4. Chance Successful. Riberta regains 3 HP. Riberta HP = 9.
Jakob = 8 + 2 (10, With Badge & Gun.) CH Roll = 4. Does 4 + 9 DMG (13. With Badge & Gun, BUCKSHOT!, Shadow's Shotgun) to Shadow Hudson. Shadow Hudson HP = 4.
Hudson = 7 + 1 (8, Velin's Tears.) Does 3 + 1 DMG (4, Velin's Tears) to Shadow Hudson. Shadow Hudson is dead.

---
Venextos' magical beam connected with Riberta, regenerating some of her vitality as she paused to shake off the stun that the shadow demon had inflicted on her. Meanwhile, Jakob and Hudson refocused their efforts to put this demon down. As the shadow demon flung its censer one last time at Jakob, he managed to avoid it with a hop to the side before firing off a blast from his shotgun. The pellets ripped through the body of the shadow demon, staggering it for a moment while Hudson closed the gap. Preparing to end it once and for all.

The hunter moved in with his casual pace, the shadow left reeling backward from the blast that hit him from Jakob's shotgun, unstable form wobbling slightly. Hudson made his move, performing a visceral slash that cut into the demon with a lateral slice that soon brought it onto its back onto the floor. The hunter stared down at the creature with indifference, looming over him as he turned his sword in his hands, its blade pointing downward to deliver the killing blow.

"This changes nothing, you hear me?!" the shadow wheezed, holding up its hands defensively as it knew it had been beaten. As Hudson continued to shrug off its empty words it only grew weaker and weaker, the extreme power it had once held over him fading into nothingness. "You'll always be a child-killing monster, your soul forever damned to walk the Abyss for an eternity! It doesn't matter how you feel about it - you will forever be marked by your actions!"

"Something will change." the hunter stated bluntly, raising his sword to prepare to bring it down onto the demon. "I'll live to fight another day, and you'll cease to exist. That's plenty enough for me." The shadow barely had any time to recoil before Hudson brought his blade down with a powerful stab, cleaving into the creature's neck as black ichor and heavy smog poured out of its wounds. Finally dead, the monster was fading from existence entirely, its equipment and form dissipating completely into a black mist that poured into Hudson. Yet this time none of the crushing pain hit him, a certain clarity washing over the hunter instead. All that was left behind was a loop of silver chains from its censer, the hunter kneeling down to collect the length as he examined it.

It appeared to be made of ordinary silver, but a dark blue aura crept across its surface, barely visible to the naked eye. Hudson drew it closer to the chains looped about his waste, the links of metal rings pulling toward his own chains as they collided and overtook the original metal completely. It would seem that the chains of his maces would now take on the unusual properties displayed by the demon's censer. Pulling on them with indifference, Hudson turned on his heel to look at the rest of the group.

"Guess the place is clear now. Did that storm ever start?"

Last edited:
He had done it. Hudson had killed his shadow and endured through its curses. "Good job, Hudson..." said Jakob with a friendly smile. "...What you've done out there, I..." Jakob seemed a bit lost for words as he looked away, resting his shotgun on his shoulder. "...What I am trying to say is that...what is done is done. You are here now, repenting... I'm glad you're okay."

Hudson gave a nod to Jakob, feeling rather awkward to have his personal hangups laid bare in front of all of them like that. Even still, it was somewhat relieving to have nothing to hide for anymore. "Thanks, Jake." he said simply at first, looking at the ground before returning his eyes to the group. "I've been at this for years. Long enough to see the error of what I did thousands of times over. I'm not going to let all of it end in vain. Even if after all the fighting I've done, if I end up back in the Abyss that's okay... I'm going to do as much good as I can before that happens."

Riberta eventually straightened up, after realising the fight was now over. Slowly, she shifted back into her human form. She gathered her clothes from nearby, slipping them back on while she spoke. "...You did good, Hudson. What you did in the past...its the past." she said. It wasn't long before she was fully dressed again. "That shadow was the old you...and you killed it. You're already a better person because of it."

She then grinned. "Try not to be a dickhead from now on, alright?"

The hunter gave a slow nod to Riberta's words. To him it didn't feel nearly that simple, but he did feel better now that the shadow was no longer tormenting him, an urge to reconnect with the family he left behind replacing that sense of dread that hung over him now. "Maybe... Though there is still one more part of my past that needs dealing with. And I'll see it through."

Her request gets Hudson to chuckle, shaking his head at a pace that seemed almost defeated. "No promises. Working with some of you lot is far from a bed of roses." Despite those spoken words, a smile could be heard in his voice.

Jakob gave his friend a thumbs-up, and laughed a bit when Riberta told him to stop being a dick. "Hey, I kinda have to agree with big lady here." It was good that they could finally smile about something. "Jokes aside, we might have to stay a bit longer."

Once the fight had finished, Venextos started to tend to his own wound on his arm as the group talked about. It seemed that overcoming both his literal and figurative demons, Hudson had changed somewhat in both his demeanor and views. As Jakob remarked about needing to stay, Venextos chimed in: "I agree. We have a few small wounds to tend to in the short term. Although I'd rather not stay here any longer than we have to."

"I did ask about that storm for a reason, yeah." Hudson adds, looking around the empty foyer now that the primary threat was gone. "I think we're safe for the moment, that bastard was too cocky to bring along anyone but himself. Even still, staying put for too long is not going to be extremely ideal."

In the silence immediately following the shadow's demise, one could hear the faintest sounds in the cavernous hall, from the rain drops splashing on the solid ground outside, to the creaking of old wooden fixtures here and there throughout the castle. Their words, although cheerful, were pushing against the vast and empty room like a boat sailing against the current; it was oppressively quiet in this forlorn place. All these sounds were carried endlessly on a haunting echo, and among them, unmistakably, was the sound of footsteps just outside open doors. They turned, ready to face this new intruder.

"Hah... hah hah hah! A-hah hah hah!"

A laugh as twisted as a clock spring escaped the lips of the most wretched-looking thing, standing off kilter the doorway. Clutching an old and rusted sword that still dripped with the blood of some previous foe, cloaked in clothing which reeked of the dead, and grinning a bloody smile with eyes like glowing coals-

...stood the vampire Mariette Desrosiers.

As soon as Jakob felt an aura approaching them, he turned to look at the doorway. It was an aura he had not felt in this Hellish world before. Similar in some ways to Riberta's, the hybrid must have felt the same thing before both were able to hear the echoing sounds throughout the keep.

Both were looking at the door when it opened and a maddened laughter came through. Jakob was ready to blast whatever creature was about to attack them..but then, when he saw that pale face and those red eyes, Jakob turned pale himself. His breathing became heavy and difficult. It was her.

He couldn't believe it, and after a few seconds he just gave in. He threw his shotgun away and approached the vampiress. Completely disregarding her deranged look. "M...Mariette?" he said while getting closer to her. He began to tear up a bit while looking at her eyes, and suddenly the detective tried to hug the vampiress. "I am so sorry Mariette... I am so sorry... for not being there. For not being there when you desperately needed a friend. I'm so sorry."

Riberta looked on as the vampire known as Mariette entered the castle through its open keep doors, drawing their attention to the deranged sounding yet miserable looking woman. Jakob approached her, tossing his shotgun down as he moved. "Jakob...careful. If she's been down here for a while, she...you know..." said Riberta, nearing the pair so that she could keep a watchful eye over him.

She had heard of a vampire named Mariette three years ago...apparently someone else that Sazak had roped into his deals and plans. Another unfortunate victim of the icon, just like her. She had no idea as to if this was the same Mariette, really. But if Jakob knew her, the possibilities were pretty high.

"Mariette?" repeated Hudson, momentarily stunned upon actually meeting the vampire after all that he had heard of her. Never knowing her by appearance but rather only her name, the only information relayed to him about her had come from his wife. Due to that fact, the hunter had little to say or convey beyond being dumbstruck.

Yet Riberta made a good point, and fortunately his sword was still drawn and now he grasped at his chains. Vampires were notoriously fast, and he could not afford to let his guard down. "Why are you here? How did you find us?" he called out to her.

Although slightly unhinged, there was no denying as Mariette came closer that she was utterly manic with joy. "Jakob..." she said, and as the other embraced her, she dropped her rusted saber and returned the gesture. "Thirty years... and it feels like nothing, mon ami. You saved me the moment you arrived." She let go of him and turned her attention to Hudson. "In the very immediate sense, I am here because I have been trying to find my friend and his company since Sazak's servants spoke of you all in my presence. I knew that if they hadn't dragged Monsieur Phillomon to the palace that you must be out here fighting... and if you came to this accursed land at all, it must be something of incredible importance.

"I set off immediately for Sheol, but I arrived there after you had left. I have been tracking your group since then, following the trail of carnage you leave behind, and other such clues." She grinned and let out one more eerie chuckle as she picked the sword up off the floor. "I am Mariette Desrosiers, formally the Countess of la Cygne. You all know my name; it is time for me to know yours."

"Venextos, Grand Magus of the Escarian Sanctum." the wizard replied with a nod, "I have heard of you from the Witlock Inquiry, although I did not expect our paths to cross here... you escaped Sazak's palace then, oui?" The notion that someone who had spent abyssal years near the enemy, and behind enemy lines was indeed quite interesting. And so would any information that Mariette had that could benefit them: "Did you see Madame Witlock in captivity at any point?"

The hunter gradually lowered his weaponry once he noted that the vampire hadn't taken to immediately biting off Jakob's neck, so he finally sheathed his sword as he listened to her words. It didn't sit particularly well with him that they had been so easy to track, all the more reason that they should be sure to keep moving as soon as they could afford to. "Never did I think a passed soul would ever seek us out. Well, at least in this sense." Hudson states as he began to cross his arms over his chest.

"Hudson Giguere. I'm just a poor sod who hunts demons." he introduced himself as humbly as he could. Venextos seemed to be wanting to get any vital information that he could out of Mariette, rightfully so.

Riberta eyed Mariette for a few moments, before speaking. "...Riberta...Just Riberta. I'm a hybrid, and warlord from Daristein...I was the reason you didn't have any help from the mainland three mortal realm years ago on Grimtham." she responded.

She then glanced back to Venextos as he spoke. Maybe she did know something. But she still seemed delerious. "...Do you need blood? Something that isn't from a hollow or demon?" She pulled one of the large canteens off her waist, holding it out towards Mariette. "I have plenty."

Jakob was trying his best to clear off his tears while Mariette talked with the others. There was so much he had to tell her about their realm. She must be curious about the estate of La Cygne as well. There was a lot to catching up to do, but Venextos presented a good question. Did she escape Sazak's palace? Then she might have a clue where Valeria might be. "...Y-yeah, right... I... our mission was to extract Valeria out of here. The others... you see, they didn't manage to kill her after defeating the Duke. I am sure you are aware of that... Had I known you were also here, I would have doubled my efforts to find that damn castle."

Jakob looked down for a moment. To think, two of his friends were trapped in the psychotic demon's claws...it was infurating. "...We came here with a bigger group, but... we also had to help a demonic rebellion by demoness by the name of Tarium. She's one of 'em Ascended Demons so she ain't evil but... in my case, I don't think her rebellion will change anything in this cursed realm. And Hudson had some differences with our previous leader... So now, we are here to find Valeria and try to help Ethraeil on the way there."

Last edited:
Mariette shook her head to Venextos' question. "I have not seen Valeria. Wherever she is kept, it is a mystery to me, but I fear that it must be beyond cruelty after what I've seen happen to others who opposed Mas-" she paused, grimacing slightly as she corrected herself, "...to those who opposed Sazak."

"Giguere?" Mariette repeated after Hudson had introduced himself. "You come from that esteemed family of the north? I thought the Raven, Camille, was the only hunter among them."

She politely turned down the blood offering from Riberta, as drinking would slow her from speaking, and she was overflowing with thoughts she needed to share.

"Oui, I know what happened to the others," Mariette replied to Jakob, her expression darkening. "Once Sazak had me as well as Cassandra Bainbridge in his possession, he had the two of us chained together. I wasn't released until I fully convinced them I had gone hollow, and then they simply cast me out. It's a wonder that I survived at all- another six months and it wouldn't have been an act. But that woman..." she trailed off, shaking her head. "Death cured her of her insanity. Her will is ironclad, and her mind is well-organized. She and I shared every story, talent, and secret to maintain our composure during our servitude. She is not who you think you remember."

Mariette held her head up, utterly serious in her next words: "If you are headed to confront Sazak on Valeria's behalf, then you ought to release Cassandra and the ancient vampire Ser Edmond along the way. They are both kept in torturous circumstances and would make steadfast allies against the Icon of Vainglory."

Hudson put a hand to his neck upon his surname being brought into question, coupled with the fact that his accent was Atracan rather than Escarian made the picture rather clear. "Yeah, she was for a time. I'm her husband." he says with a nervous roll of his shoulders. "I hadn't really expected to meet you down here, so this is coming as quite a shock. I've only really heard of you through some of what transpired during the inquiry. That and Camille named one of our children in your honor, moved by your self-sacrifice."

Upon hearing the rest of the information Mariette had to provide Hudson was left pondering the logistics of the situation. "Allies will certainly help us, and if we're already assaulting his keep we may as well free them for the help they could provide us, certainly. Even if... Edmond may not be the most sane of individuals." the hunter adds, trying his best to remain polite.

Jakob listened carefully to everything Mariette said, nodding accordingly until she mentioned the fact that Cassandra Bainbridge was not only here but also served under Sazak as well. Jakob looked rather skeptical, he knew he could trust Mariette with his life, but could he say the same about Cassandra and Edmond? Both were vampires under the service of the Duke, and both had done a lot of damage to the population of Grimtham. But then again... Jakob was forced to team up with a ex-hitman child killer and a hybrid woman who led hordes of werewolves against the ancient southern Elves and everyone else in Daristein. Maybe he shouldn't be picky about his allies. "I... well, while I'm not entirely sure... I trust you Mariette. If we can save them, then we will. And together we will kill that bastard Sazak, and take Valeria out of this damn place."

"Husband? Ah, that makes sense, and yet, I'd have never expected her to settle down, even if she expressed an interest in doing so- and I don't remember if she did," she replied wryly as Hudson explained himself. "...And she named a daughter after me?" Mariette pretended to be embarrassed by flattery, but in reality she was concealing a snicker as she remembered her argument with Velin. She was my friend, you worthless mockery of divine judgement. "May she be as prosperous as I once was, but perhaps, not quite so long-lived."

Once Jakob had weighed in, Mariette nodded gratefully. "I will do all I can, although I am without a grimoire. I cannot do the sorts of things I did on Grimtham, but thanks to Cassandra, I've learned to fight another way." She took her saber and walked a few steps away from Jakob before taking off the outermost layer of her filthy garments, holding it in her offhand like Cassandra would have. She then took up a stance, effortlessly twirling the blade around herself before unleashing a few, lightning-fast piercing stabs with the sword's tip. It was a far cry from the woman who used to wield swords as if they were clubs. "I have only been free for a short time," she said as she relaxed her form. "The Abyss seems like the perfect place to locate a tome of dark magic, so maybe we'll be lucky in that regard as well."

He nodded along with Mariette as she went on about Camille, finding it odd to be talking about her this much after he was doing everything he could to push her and the children to the back of his mind. "Yeah, little Marie..." Hudson says with a wistful sigh. "We haven't quite 'settled down' as it were, we still hunt monsters that threaten people. Together." After a period of silence on his part he also decided to impart her with one final bit of information. "As for la Cygne, it's become a sort of haven for vampires now. Despite my asking her about it she seems rather set on paying it no mind... Just as well since I haven't heard much panic from humans that live there, I suppose."

Watching her use the blade got him to chuckle, not quite from her skill with it or lack thereof rather yet more nostalgia hitting him. "Do all Escarians fight the same? Gods..."

Riberta simply listened as they spoke, gathering and mulling over some of the information. Cassandra Bainbridge she had met only once before. A former inquisitor whom had a particular niche for dispatching those that worked for the Church and Order. Quite talented with a blade, and hellaciously fast. Also seemed to be a few marbles short of sane, but thirty years here in the Abyss might have been just what she needed.

"Escarians have been known for fancy blade work for centuries. Atracans fancied their archers a bit more. Daristein just focused on heavy weaponry and armor." stated Riberta, glancing to Hudson. "...A lot of good that did them when I showed up..." Her voice trailed off, and she then glanced over to the doors of the large castle. It was pouring outside now. Dark, abyssal rain, from near black clouds above. The hollows outside the courtyard didn't seem to care all that much.

"...Looks like we're camping here for the night." she said, before looking to Mariette. "...Guess this would also be a nice time to bathe...if the rain is safe, that is." She would test it out herself, walking over to the doors and stepping out far enough to hold her hand out. The dark colored water felt...like simple rain. No strange smell to it, but it did have a tingling sensation. "...Feels strange. I wouldn't bathe in it." she muttered.

"Whatever will it do, kill me?" Mariette asked, before bursting out into more unhinged cackling. At first, Jakob worried that his old friend had lost some of her sense during her tortured tenure in Sazak's servitude, but then he realized that, to some degree, this overflowing joy was compensation for, or perhaps defiance against, the miserable thoughts which had taken deep root in her soul from the moment she had decided to end her life, years earlier. "Ah, but perhaps I should heed your warning, madame," she added, calming herself again while still chuckling darkly to herself. "My clothing - if you can call it that - is the source of most of this foul odor I've brought along, or at least I hope it is. ...Hup!"

Seemingly without even an ounce of shame, she cast off her clothing and walked back to the entrance, nude, and tossed it flat onto the wet stones outside.

Perhaps she was a bit mad, after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back