• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Hunter's Moon: The Sin & Sentence [IC] [CLOSED]

Riberta chuckled, before glancing to Jakob. "I like this one." she said, before looking back to Mariette. "Only warning we got about the waters here in the Abyss was that it was like a sludge to everyone that wasn't a demon. Don't think the rain is all that good for us either...though, I guess since I can heal rapidly, I can test it out."

She tossed her sword down next to the door, before strolling out into the rain. It did tingle. Quite a bit. Perhaps some acidity to the water? It wasn't fatal, apparently, as her skin wasn't starting to burn. It did turn slightly red, however, like a slight sunburn. "Not bad. Not good either." she said, glancing back to the group inside as she pushed the long hair in her face out of the way. "If you're going to clean up...I'd say about five minutes should work. Otherwise, you might get sick." She then strolled back inside, her clothes soaked throughly. She wrung out her long hair, eventually tying it up into a rough ponytail as best she could.

It wouldn't be long before a makeshift camp was set up in the empty entrance hall. A fire was made using what materials they had on hand, allowing them to dry off and cook food. "...I wonder if Xager is going to try and sneak us more supplies." muttered Riberta, before drinking from one of her blood canteens.

Last edited:
He wasn't quite prepared for the short and somewhat macabre history lesson given to him by the hybrid, his question more of a lighthearted hypothetical rather than an actual inquiry. "Huh, well cultures have a habit of being defined in times of war just as much as times of peace." he states, only to take note of the pouring black rains outside. The mannerisms of Mariette herself left the hunter a bit dumbfounded, so he chose not to comment on it as the vampire strode outside completely nude.

Hudson took the short time to perform a quick rinse before the camp was set up, soon drying himself near the fire as he had his back against the staircase. His arm was hooked around the hilt of his sword, the weapon kept in its scabbard as he lazily leaned it against himself with one knee raised so that his other arm could also hand limply across it. "I wouldn't count on it." he replies to Riberta. "I'd sooner expect help from the likes of Sazak's son before thinking that they may come to our aid now."

A few minutes later, Mariette came back inside. Having washed the filth off herself and out of her clothes, she had already gotten partially dressed outside before carrying the rest of her nearly-threadbare clothing over to the fire. There, she stabbed her rusting saber into a crack in the ground and draped the dripping clothes over the pommel. Her skin looked blotchy and irritated, but it was fading back to its ashen white and she smiled with a quiet contentment. She had pushed herself to the limit chasing Jakob's party and was utterly exhausted- another reason for her erratic behavior and emotional outbursts. But now she could rest or even sleep, and for the first time in decades, she felt safe in doing so. She occasionally looked up at Jakob, as if checking to see if he were still there, real, and not a figment of a wishful imagination.

Jakob seemed much happier than before. Having Mariette with him had filled him with indescribably joy, and he watched as she demonstrated her new combat abilities. She truly was a survivor against all the odds. The storm outside became stronger, and soon enough it became clear that the group would need to stay the night on the castle. Jakob was about to say something while Riberta and Mariette talked with each other, but as soon as Mariette took away all her clothing, Jakob let out a shriek while looking away. "Damn it, Mariette! A warning would be welcome!" Jakob lowered his hat while the others walked out to wash under the rain. Riberta seemed to be a fan of Mariette. "H-heh...Yeah, she's a brave and strong woman... Wish... we had met under different circumstances, but I'm truly glad she's here."

As soon as the camp was set, Jakob offered his long leather coat to Mariette while still looking away. "Here ya go. It's comfy, I promise!" He gave her a smile, before walking back to the fire. Trying to not look the women in the eye while they were drying themselves by the fire. Riberta soon asked if Xager would show up again. "I really wish those two demon ladies would open their eyes. They are bound to get themselves killed if they continue like this... And I think Sazak's son is heading the same way. There's no way they can set order to the Abyss."

Jakob sighed, while looking over at the supplies. They still had enough to continue exploring this realm. While checking his bag, he noticed his harmonica was still there. He gave Mariette a quick glance while showing her the instrument. "...Want a song? To remember those rare but good nights with the old gang?"

Mariette nodded, and cloaked herself comfortably in the leather coat. A few minutes later, she fell asleep seated, with her head propped up in her hands.

Jakob gave Mariette a friendly smile, before beginning to play that familiar tune. "Over the Red Gorge Valley", a song Jakob loved and played several times during those small happy moments back during the Inquiry. He felt nostalgia wash over him, as he remembered how happy he was talking to both Aleister and Mariette on the carriage, or playing a small duet with Rosanna. Gods, how he wished things had ended differently. Everyone deserved a better future than the one they got. When he was done playing, he looked over at Mariette. She was fast asleep. She must have been exhausted. "...Rest well, Mariette." he said, before giving the others a respectful nod. He then continued playing. Things were finally looking up a bit.

The rest got comfortable, settling in as Jakob continued to play his harmonica. Riberta stayed awake, red eyes glowing in the dim light as they darted about at times. Had to remain alert, in the event demons showed up...or another shadow decided to make their appearance. The rain continued outside, hollows still wandering about as the black water pelted them from above. And it would continue for several hours afterwards, throughout the night.

---
Elsewhere...

Taranoch's Fortress

Dis
The Heartlands

"...So I've come to learn that the quelling of Ethraeil and his forces to the south has been slowed...and why is that?" said Taranoch, this time sitting in his large chair at the end of the table. Some of the Icons looked at one another for a few moments, before looking directly at Ralvas and Sazak. Sazak didn't move, simply letting his golden irises drift to the corner in Ralvas' direction. Ralvas swallowed hard, before speaking. "...It seems, my lord, that Tariun has recruited some mortals to do some dirty work for her. As you know...Velin returned three years ago when her executioner blade was used. Apparently Velin and Tariun made a deal of some sort..." Ralvas paused but for a moment, then spoke once more. "...They were the ones that slew the Priest...they also destroyed Azgon's prized weapons factories, and slew Sekath's taskmaster Thelyra...and attempted to burn her palace to the ground."

Sekath's eyes went wide. "W-WHAT!?" she spat, snapping up from her seated position and slamming her hands on the table before them. The impact was hard enough that cracks started to spiderweb away from where her hands now rested. Taranoch's gaze snapped towards Sekath, whom visibly twitched when she felt her king's gaze reach her. Her head turned slowly towards Taranoch, who's expression had shifted slightly to one of annoyance. "...Sit down, Sekath." he simply said. Sekath complied, slowly sitting back down into her seat. "Yes...sire..." she whispered. She was visibly angry, shaking ever so slightly in her seat.

Azgon was angry as well, but surprisingly contained it. He'd take his anger out in other ways once he returned to his palace. "...I will double my efforts to put Ethraeil and his undead down, my lord." he stated, looking over towards Taranoch. "I want his skull, Azgon. And that necklace of his." responded Taranoch, shifting in his seat. He let his temple rest against his balled up fist, eyes locked on the Icon of Wrath. "I would rather there be no distractions when we begin our invasion of the mortal realm." Azgon nodded, and soon Taranoch shifted his gaze to Ralvas. "...I want these mortals found and captured. If you cannot capture them...make them suffer for defying my rule. As for Tariun...as I said before, I want her alive and brought to me...Do you have anything else to report?"

Ralvas nodded. "Yes, sire. One of my lieutenants was executed by Azathor and his insurrectionists. They have allied with Ethraeil, it seems." Then, Taranoch's eyes drifted to Sazak. Sazak was smiling, looking down at the table where Sekath had cracked it. "...Why are you smiling, Sazak?" he asked, sitting up straight. Sazak twitched, and his eyes looked to Taranoch rather quickly. "Nothing, sire." he responded, shaking his head rapidly. Taranoch glared at him for a few moments, before speaking once more. "...You have yet to deal with that son of yours, apparently. An example will be made."

An example? Sazak's eyes widened, as did the eyes of the rest of the Icons present. Taranoch looked to Mazgith nearby, whom simply nodded. She then suddenly disappeared through a portal behind her. A minute passed, as Sazak looked between Taranoch and where Mazgith had been standing. And then, a portal opened once more. Mazgith stepped out of it, walking over to the table where they were sitting.

A split-second later, the head of Sazak's fourth son, Sal'gel, was dropped onto the table before them all. The fair haired boy's dead eyes staring at Sazak, as he looked down upon the head in horror.

"Your third son will be next."

---
The Next Day...

Vincent's Group
Land of Envy

After a night of rest, the group continued on their journey through the land of Envy. As they progressed further towards the coast, they began to notice that the land started to take a drastic shift. Instead of the off colored grass and odd looking trees, everything took a darker, more shadowy appearance. Trees shifted to take a look more befitting a painting. The bark was near black, and the leaves were a dark purple. The grass was a dark grey, almost the same color as the bark on the trees. The sky grew dim, as if the sun were going out. "What the hell is going on?" asked Vincent, as he peered out the window.

Kassidy spoke up. "...This 'ere's where Shadow Demons come from." she said, leaning up over the seat to look out the window. "...Watch where yer drivin'...They ain't fond of visitors...and there's ravines and holes all 'round."

Last edited:
Takato had mainly kept to himself, his thoughts consuming him without anyone able to answer. Though he knew he'd have the chance to speak to Tariun later, he'd rather he'd have the opportunity sooner. His pupils remained partially dilated going into the next day, as they continued their drive onward. His thoughts not only maintained themselves into what he was thinking, but was expanding to more potential reasons, including one he really didn't want to think about... family.

Thankfully, his thought process was broken by the drastic shift that everyone noted within the environment. Soon enough, Kassidy explained, and Takato nodded with a worrying glance.

"...do all shadow demons resemble another living being, or were they someone prior to becoming another?" he asked aloud, his racing mind just blurting something out without him even realizing it. He wasn't even sure if they knew the answer or not already. His mind was too in flux to consider that.

Senya sat patiently, cleaning her sword off with a wet rag. So far Kassidy mentioned this was the origin of the Shadow Demons. They were by all means the darkest version of themselves, in that case, what would the Shadow Senya act like? The Warden wasn’t much of a talker during combat, would that reflect off of the Shadow? Senya shrugged off the thought, what’s bound to happen will happen. She’d just knew the past will catch up to them eventually.

She turned to Kassidy, asking a question of her own, “How long til we get to our destination? I have a feeling we’re running out of time once the Abyss knows what we’re doing.”

"...do all shadow demons resemble another living being, or were they someone prior to becoming another?"

Kassidy shook her head. "Neither. They're basically just shadowy demons till they decide ta copy someone. Y'all ain't gotta worry too much 'bout these 'round here." she said, glancing to Takato. "...Y'all already got copies. Shadow demons are a lil' fickle 'bout who they copy. If they see one already copyin' somebody, they won't bother copyin' tha same person."

She sat back in her seat, before continuing. "...They ain't fond of one another, either. Especially demons that copy somebody. All 'round hateful bunch." She then looked to everyone in the back. "...Did Tariun ever tell y'all about WHY shadow demons are huntin' ya? They want yer bodies. If they kill ya, they can eat yer soul, and claim yer body for themselves as a vessel. That means...they can go back to tha mortal realm and pose as ya. Ruin yer lives, kill yer loved ones, and so on..."

“How long til we get to our destination? I have a feeling we’re running out of time once the Abyss knows what we’re doing.”

Vincent spoke up. "Check the map. It should show where we are." he said, reaching down and pulling the folded map out of his bag in the floorboard. He then handed it back to Kassidy, who unrolled it and showed it to everyone. They were making good headway, it seemed, across the land of Envy. And they weren't far from the coast. Maybe a few hundred miles or so.

---
Back in the Land of Pride...

"Well, the rain has stopped." said Riberta, stepping out into the courtyard and looking about. Everything was thoroughly soaked with the black rain, including the hollows that had been wandering about between the walls. The truck was soaked as well, but it didn't seem to have been corroded or anything by the acidity. She glanced back to the others inside. "We can probably get moving now."

"...Did Tariun ever tell y'all about WHY shadow demons are huntin' ya? They want yer bodies. If they kill ya, they can eat yer soul, and claim yer body for themselves as a vessel. That means...they can go back to tha mortal realm and pose as ya. Ruin yer lives, kill yer loved ones, and so on..."
"... Kill your loved ones, and that's if they're lucky." adds Loque, quietly sitting and wearing that Elven mask Seriphine had given her. Miraculously, in spite of her hideous features, it seems to fit almost perfectly. She ought to ask Seriphine where she could get another like this later. "Gods help them if they aren't feeling so merciful."

"Indeed. Let's not linger here any longer." Venextos commented as he rubbed his arm. The wound has had time to heal with the aid of his magics, but it still felt sore after the last encounter.

Takato seemed somewhat surprised by the answer he received from Kassidy. If they were 'basically just shadowy demons', then what exactly is a shadow demon if not someone? Are they just being of pure hate and spite? If shadow demons knew everything they did, then from where did they gain knowledge of the Abyss? It must've originated from somewhere, no? Seemed like an odd answer to him.

Takato shook his head to the facts surrounding shadow demons. If he had to wager a guess what would happen if he got killed, he could only assume it would result in a stereotypical oni rampage across Upper Redonia. That'd not only ruin his life, but also quickly bring it to its end, given the shrine master likely wouldn't tolerate that shit. After all, he didn't exactly have loved ones...

Shaking his head for a second time, Takato remained focused on what Kassidy had just said, and decided to ask a follow-up question more consciously.

"...if they were neither, how are they 'basically just shadowy demons'? Someone they must've been to have some knowledge of the Abyss, no?"

"I don't believe these demons think things through." Henderson was listening to the description Kassidy gave "Mine at least. Ruin my life? I've done that already just fine. Harm loved ones? Who? The two guards near the entrance of the dungeon? I suppose I'll miss David and Morry looking at me with a hateful glare through the bars as they passed the food. As for soul." He shrugged "I guess that has some value."

"Taking control of my body. Really, he wouldn't be doing anything I wouldn't be doing if I didn't have restraints on me. Poor sod is very limited in his options, but he can have some fun I suppose."

Seriphine had spent most of the evening and night pondering the information she had learned. Granted, she hadn't wasted all of the time thinking about how she would stab Faelnir in his cold, traitorous, heart. There had been some time to go through her memories. She was thankful for the help that Kassidy had provided but at the same time the knowledge of her past scared her. Already she was remembering things that had been best left forgotten, then again she knew better than anyone that there was no way of washing the blood off of one's hands.

The past is the past. I can never change that.

Now, as the truck continued to hurdle towards the coast, Seriphine was cleaning one of her blades while idly listening to what the rest of the party were talking about. In this case it was regarding shadow demons. Truthfully she wasn't scared of meeting her evil demonic self. On the contrary she was ready for it, or at least felt ready. A demon was still a demon. That meant that they could be killed.

Seriphine stopped and glanced at Henderson, though not because of what he had said.

How painful would it be for Faelnir if Henderson ate him?

It was a somewhat amusing thought. Seriphine shook her head and continued to clean the blade, polishing it even further.

"...if they were neither, how are they 'basically just shadowy demons'? Someone they must've been to have some knowledge of the Abyss, no?"
Loque rolls her eyes at Takato’s ceaseless overquestioning. She knows shadow demons well; possibly better than Kassidy. She’ll have to explain this like she would to a child.

“Takato, think of water. Water has no shape or form, yes? It only does when you put it into a glass or a pitcher. Shadow demons are the same. There is no form or ‘person’ they have until they find a mold to mimic and eventually take for themselves. Such as you people, for example.”

Putting his hand to his chin, Takato listened intently to Loque. What she said made sense, but it didn't answer one thing;

"...then how does a shadow demon gain knowledge? It of course copies us, and what we know, but most of us going in had nary familiarity with the Abyss. If shadow demons are as you say, then how can they know of the Abyss as it is? If they knew before taking shape, that necessitates some form of being, no?"

"...then how does a shadow demon gain knowledge? It of course copies us, and what we know, but most of us going in had nary familiarity with the Abyss. If shadow demons are as you say, then how can they know of the Abyss as it is? If they knew before taking shape, that necessitates some form of being, no?"
Loque lets out a hard grunt of frustration at Takato who still doesn’t seem to get it.

“That being is very limited, Takato. So it’s not just like water, it’s intelligent as water too.”she responds, nearly hissing at him. “Now if you have any further ‘questions’, why not ask them directly? We’re surrounded by them after all.”

Takato looked rather mumpish in response to Loque's near-hissing. It seemed he had once more gotten on her bad side, perhaps she had had experience with shadow demons before, and believed absolutely in those experiences, those impressions. To what degree those experiences are akin to a human experiencing an oni strictly from the outside, he knew not, but at this point, it seemed asking won't get him any answers, especially with the response he was getting.

"...your point had been made," he stated in response to Loque's 'suggestion'. He slumped back into his seat, wondering ever so briefly if his shadow was civil enough that he'd answer his questions, if at minimum in a 'you're going to die anyway, so I may as well tell you' sort of fashion. If nothing else, this ended the mental distraction he had, as his thoughts from before began to creep in, his eyes dilated and morose.

Kassidy went to speak, looking over to Takato, but froze when she noticed an aura start to materialize at the back of the truck. It grew more focused, more clear, with each passing moment. A swirling black smoke began to take form, and soon it resembled the silhouette of some humanoid being. Its head was still mostly smoke, but they could now see two white orbs floating in the black mist.

And two rows of sharp teeth appeared for a mouth.

"What have we here?" said the entity, its voice a conglameration of several hundred voices. All whispering, sounding as if the creature was exhaling the words it spoke instead of speaking them. Its teeth moved as well, shifting and opening as if it were actually speaking the words the group heard.

Then, two more auras appeared, forming just as this one had. All three were outside the back of the truck, appearing as if they were simply hanging onto the back as they spoke to the group. "A cluster of lost nobodies." said the left one, while the right one added on with "Aww, but they're already claimed. Some have all the luck."

Kassidy's eyes were wide. "W-Well, Oni...h-here's yer chance ta ask some shadow d-demons questions." she said, cutting Takato a look as she stammered. The orbs like eyes of the three shadow demons shifted, moving to look at the Oni. "The Oni has questions? Everyone has questions. We even have our own." said the middle one. The left chuckled, while the right one decided to depart. "A game of twenty questions interests me not." it simply said, before its shadowy form disolved into nothingness.

---
Soon, everything was loaded up into the truck. Jakob climbed into the driver's seat, while Mariette was allowed to claim the passenger seat next to him. Hudson, Riberta, and Venextos entered the back. Once the truck was cranked, they were off. The circled the courtyard's Ralvas statue, before sputtering out. Up the path between the walls before arriving back out in open country. The sky was clear now, empty with the false sun hanging overhead. A normal sight, honestly.

Hudson drew out the map they had gained from Xager, examining where they needed to go. Riberta eventually pointed it out with her razor sharp fingernail. "There. Seems to be a straight shot to Sazak's realm." she said, glancing up to Hudson. Venextos confirmed it, peering over at the map from where he was sitting.

Hudson showed the route to Jakob, and soon they were on their way. Heading in the direction of the land of Vainglory.

In the distance, two shadowy figures watched. "The marauder didn't make it." muttered the taller shadow, glancing down to a shorter robbed one. He simply nodded. The taller one sighed. "...Serves him right for refusing to wait. We can handle things ourselves...I'll let you deal with the others on your own terms. I want Riberta to myself."

And a few moments later, the shadows vanished. Disolving into the wind.

Last edited:
Loque's hands grip tightly in annoyance until her knuckles go white. Shadow demons; the only other group she despised more were those of Lust, but Shadows weren't too far behind. Their very presence always made her uncomfortable what with their appearance, the way they talked, they way they always found a way to creep under your skin...

She looks over to Takato and cuts him a mean look, as if to blame him for their sudden arrival. "Well? Why not start by asking if they're like water if you're still curious?"

"I have a better question," said Seriphine, now looking up from her blade and directly at the demons in questions. "What sense of code prevents you from copying one being that has already been copied and, out of curiosity, what prevents you from copying another demon?"

As she finished her question Seriphine narrowed her eyes and continued to stare at the demons while one hand tightened its hold around the blade in her hand. She was within striking distance and despite their appearance she had no doubt that these foul beings could easily be slain.

"Followup question to that one." Henderson interjected "If the one who claimed a vessel is killed, do you in turn have the chance to claim them?"

Takato looked incredibly surprised when out of the blue, the shadow demons in their natural state appeared. However, he had to be honest with himself... despite the sharp teeth and somewhat deranged look, he didn't seem intimidated at all. It was as though he had already seen depictions of something worse, like giant skeletons, or vengeful spirits that rip your guts out. He took Loque's mean look unphased and stared into the eyes of the shadow demons, having switched to a serious demeanor.

"...their responses so far are enough to have answered my questions. There is a being before they become another, speaking of oneself even with a voice that sounded like many whispering at once. And from there, they presumably have a base of Abyssal knowledge, which they can use later, and their own questions. And just like water, everything will be tried as to force themselves into any unclaimed crevice, for they cannot enter that which already has water."

After that, he heard the questions of Seriphine and Henderson, nodding because those were good questions, though suddenly he sneezed for whatever reason. He had brought his hand up quickly before that, so he didn't sneeze on anyone, but he didn't expect that to happen. He wasn't feeling as though he was getting a cold or anything.

"What sense of code prevents you from copying one being that has already been copied and, out of curiosity, what prevents you from copying another demon?"

The shadow demon on the left responded to Seriphine. "It is no fun to chase after something that another has claimed. We don't kill one another, either, as that would be...stupid. Why thin our own ranks?" it hissed. "We might despise one another, but the Great Abyss provides us all wonderful opportunities. Others always come along...and we claim those in time."

The middle one answered the second question she had posed. "Copying another demon? Idiotic. We can't leave the Abyss if we copy one of them. We copy mortals...kill them...devour their souls...and use their skins as our very own puppets. Vessels to travel into the mortal realm with."

"If the one who claimed a vessel is killed, do you in turn have the chance to claim them?"

The middle one also answered Henderson's question. "Would you want to lay claim to sloppy seconds?" hissed the demon, before they heard an inhuman chuckle. "Some take the chance...others don't. It depends on how valuable the victim is." He then looked towards Gwen. "...She's valuable. As is your kitsune friend."

Upon hearing Takato's words, the left demon spoke again. "We are born of the Abyss, spawned in the lands of Envy and gifted with the knowledge of the realm upon our manifestation. We envy your bodies, as are own are amorphous. We use your hatred, sins, and memories against you to obtain your bodies."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back