• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Hunter's Moon: The Sin & Sentence [IC] [CLOSED]

Venextos looked a bit shocked at the extent of damage that Riberta had taken, yet she was unfazed by it all. He didn't speak for a moment as Hudson asked his question, but soon replied: "She shouldn't be far... I hope." he spoke before returning his attention to Riberta. "I... Do you require my healing, madame?" he asked rather bluntly.

Jakob watched, as Riberta ended the creature with the sheer brutality that would be expected from the ancient warlord. He didn't have much to say about it. Riberta was a hybrid lycan and a beast of a woman, fueled by pure anger and sorrow. He watched as she stood over the 'martyrs' body, Venextos offering them healing. While Jakob looked about, he finally looked at the large tree behind them. "Hmm... that's an old tree, ain't it?" He looked at it for a while, before eyeing the base of the trunk. Did he catch something moving there?

Riberta looked to the mage, and slowly shook her head. "I just need blood." she said. "I'll regenerate...slowly." She looked over the extent of the damage she had suffered, before looking back to Venextos. "...Several hours, at most." She stepped away from the corpse of the flame demon, moving towards the truck they had came in. Her blood canteens were still in the back, and she'd need to drown herself in one to heal.

As Jakob looked upon the tree, he did in fact see movement. And soon there was a voice to add to the movement, along with an aura much like Venextos'. "Wonderful work, you four. And it's been a while, Venextos. I hope the Abyss has been treating you well." said the feminine voice, as part of the tree itself seemed to move and step towards them. Then it was revealed that it wasn't part of the tree, but a woman wearing a long robe and hood. It changed color as she moved, returning to a dull grey as she approached. The woman was of the highlands, it seemed, and bore several markings across her face and arms. Tattoos and paint, it seemed. Her hair was long, reddish-brown in color. And the most striking thing about her was that she was totally blind, her eyes as white as a cloud.

"Hayley Payne. Researcher of the Abyss." she said with a smile, without moving her head towards either of them.

Hudson turned on his heel as he heard the feminine voice, squinting at the tree as Hayley dropped down from one of its branches. Just how long was she posted up there, he wondered. If she were able to help and choose not to for some absurd test or something equally idiotic the hunter would get even more agitated. For that reason he chose not to bring up that line of questioning.

"Research? It's shit and most everything in it is shit. Hope I've saved you some trouble." he spat as he approached her. "Come on, we're getting out of here."

"You certainly lack the inquisitive mind, don't you, Inquisitor? I mean, your occupation calls for such a mentality. Even your title as an inquisitor inplies it...Unless you're of Velin's ilk. Stubborn, zealous, emotional. Explains your rude attitude." replied Hayley. "The Abyss is a far more interesting place than you realise. Certainly not as interesting as the In-Between or the Nether, but still. I take great pride in studying the ways of this place. How it shifts and moves whenever it wants. The trials and tribulations of its occupants: the damned, and both the common demon and its heirarchy as well as the others to the north and their sheer alienness compared to the demons you know."

She motioned to the oak tree. "Did you know this oak tree was a gift to the legendary first Demon King Adriel? It used to sit inside Adriel's courtyard millenia ago. Now its way out here."

She turned her head to face Hudson afterwards. "It may be shit to you, but you are of a small mind and couldn't grasp the complexities of such an interesting dimension. You're too busy groveling like a dog and doing whatever Velin tells you. Likely seeking redemption for something heinous you did in the past. That or a 'righteous death' like so many before you."

She finally sighed. "I assume the rebel child of Sazak sent you to find and rescue me?...He has a good heart. I'm surprised he came from such a horrible creature."

"For the most part, yes." Venextos replied casually as he gave a smile to his colleague, "It's good to see you safe Hayley. And yes, we were sent by Azathor." He gave a quick glance to Hudson as he started off on his tirade yet again but chose to ignore it. "What were you doing so far out here?" he then asked.

Beneath his helmet he scowled and scoffed as Hayley began to lecture him, stepping closer to the point he walked up to the tree she had been speaking of on that time. The same tired critiques and claims. It's easy to look down on people when you're not being dragged ever further down into a mire of regret and turmoil. "A tree as a gift. How interesting." he said as dully as possible, looking up at it before turning his head down to watch the blind magician.

"You've got me pegged. I'm far from an inquisitor and while I don't 'grovel' before Velin I do wish for my death to mean more than my life did. Forgiveness is not in the cards." Hudson stated as he shifted his stance back around completely. "Call me small minded but I don't think so highly of this place on account of what spawns out of it, what takes place in it, and how some mad bastards in the land of the living revere it. I'll appeciate its finer details just as soon as it stops shitting out monsters to kill people who have done no wrong."

"Now this 'small mind' and the sword arms it's puppeteering are going to get back on that rumbling heap of metal and get the fuck out of here. With or without you." Hudson concluded, trying to hurry things along now.

Hayley turned her head in Venextos' direction. "Studying the tree, and how it came to be here. Remarkably strong, honestly, even for an oak. And despite its looks, its not dead." she responded. She motioned to the trunk. "There's also a symbol on it at the bottom. Some sort of angelic rune. Its odd, honestly. Actual heavenly magic, instead of the magic of a fallen angel. It seems...ancient. But I'll leave the study of it for our friend Miguel. He's more knowledgable of angelic runes and the history of the angels."

She then turned slightly, as Riberta came walking back up. Gulping down blood from one of her canteens. "Are we ready to leave?" she asked. It seemed that parts of her body were starting to heal, the burnt muscle and tissue regenerating and regaining its more healthy look.

Hayley smiled, turning her head in Hudson's direction. "Go right ahead. I can get back to Azathor safely." she said. "Also...if you're heading northwest, be careful. I think I saw a shadow demon heading that way about two or three hours ago."

As the woman went on about the intricacies of some godsdamned tree Hudson was saved by Riberta walking up to ask her question. Seeing her body heal was certainly a grizzly sight, the hunter finding himself resenting the hybrid a bit more as he realized how she fueled her past rampages. His only solace was the knowledge that they were all truly doomed regardless of his feelings toward her or the other members of the team.

"Yeah, let's get going." he replied, though stopped once Hayley made mention of a shadow demon. His grip tightened on his sword, his breathing slightly irregular. "Saw one, did you?" Hudson repeats, turning his head though his hollow expression was concealed by his helmet and brimmed hat working in tandem. "All the more reason for us to leave now before they catch up to us."

"Perhaps they're waiting on you, hunter." said Hayley, turning her head to look directly at Hudson. A smile creeped across her face. "Time to deal with the skeletons in your closet, it seems. I dealt with mine a decade ago." She then motioned for them to go. "See you some other time, Venextos. We have much to catch up on. And good luck."

A moment later, she simply waved a hand next to her. A black portal appeared, and she gave them a wave before stepping through. Then, the portal vanished. Riberta grunted, before turning about and heading back towards the truck. "Let's get going. We have a long ride ahead of us, I think." she said, as she strolled around to the rear of the truck and climbed in.

---
Elsewhere...
In the land of Envy, Sagath's domain...

"Stop the truck, Kass. We were supposed to swap out an hour ago." said Vincent, patting Kassidy on the shoulder. "Shit. Yeah, yer right." she responded, with a quick glance over her shoulder. It'd also provide the group a chance to get out and stretch their legs a bit. They had been riding for hours, fleeing Sekath's realm after the brawl and slaughter of Sekath's second in command. It had been a rough trip, honestly, for all of them. Exhausted from the battle, hungry, and in need of rest. They refused to stop, however, till they had entered Sagath's realm. And they had finally done so about twenty minutes prior.

Kassidy climbed out of the truck, as did some of the others, and looked about at their new environment. It was...odd, honestly. Grasslands that stretched on for miles, but the grass was an odd color. Off green, instead of actual true green like one would expect. The trees seemed different too, their leeves bearing a sheen to them as if they were made of some sort of reflective substance. The wood was brittle, and flaked off like rocks instead of actual splintered wood.

Kassidy looked back to the others after a few moments. "Welcome to tha land of Envy...if ya think things are weird, wait till we get closer ta one of the cities." she said, placing her hands on her hips.

Inari had slept well enough on the journey, as the mildly stained pillow she had liberated from the palace proved to be rather comfortable as the truck rocked along on its trip to the next territory. There were no dreams, not this time, which seemed to be a pattern here in the Abyss so far. That said, it wasn't the most comfortable ride. Inari had to contend with the stray arm or leg bumping into her while she napped. Regardless, a truck struck her as a marvelous thing, and as she woke up and clambered out, the distance they had traveled by vehicle and off a rail was impressive. She could imagine a fleet of these rickety trucks transporting troops across Kowareta. Imagine a cross provincial trip without the need for stopping, or taking care of horses for each individual soldier. Give her thirty trucks and she could scorch half the country. It was a tantalizing thought.

The land of envy. So that is where they now were. As Kassidy said, the place looked a little weird and off color, like a dream itself. Not quite right.

"I like old land better, more pretty back there. People more pretty, too. Why we not take one? Or three. All I got was pillow and horn!" She lamented, though her newly regrown tail curled around her, and she stroked it with a grin. "But new tail! Is not all bad. Now I can have more the fun." To demonstrate, Inari snapped the fingers on her left hand, raised up for all to see. White mist suddenly encompassed the paw, shimmering like wistful smoke from a pipe, before dissipating in a few seconds. No longer was her hand that of a Kitsune with white fur, but slender and purple hued, with long claws, like that of a lust demon. Inari gave a short gleeful cackle. "Ah! Before tail that take many hour for one hand! Now so fast again... heh."

"They can keep waiting." was all Hudson responded with before walking back to the truck. He had hoped to avoid his shadow demon until after Sazak was dealt with. As far as the hunter was concerned, those closeted akeletons would be the ones dealing with him. He had to at least see this last task through before then, if at all possible.

With his typical morose demeanor he hopped back into the truck, shutting the door as he placed himself onto the seat. He crossed his arms and waited for them to begin moving again, hoping that this vehicle would be fast enough to avoid his counterpart entirely.

Kass frowned at the idea of taking some of the other lust demons as captives, but nodded when Inari revealed her shapeshifting abilities had returned. "You can probably shift completely, now. Be glad I had all that power ta spare...it took me three days with a group o' wrath demons ta acquire it." she said. She then looked to the others. "If any o' y'all need toppin' off...as in healin'...just ask."

---
Riberta spoke softly, as Hudson got comfortable in his seat and prepared for the trip. "...Hudson..." She shifted a bit, leaning forward and glancing towards Hudson in the passenger seat up front. Her one good eye glowing red in the shade of the back of the truck. "...Why do you want to die so badly?...What did you do?" There was a pause afterwards, before she spoke again. "...Why condemn yourself to this...and abandon the wife and children you have? The people that care deeply about you?"

The hunter only spared a glance over his shoulder to Riberta as she asked her quesrions, the dread hanging over him just enough motivation for him not to completely disregard her. "In the grand scheme of things, probably a mere speck compared to your accomplishments I'm sure." Hudson muttered with a shake of his head. "I do this because they can live without me, and I can't go on living with what I've done as I have..." His voice trailed off, and his posture deepened slightly as he was silent for a bit.

"A long time ago I had to make a choice. I don't know if it was right or wrong, but I should have never made it in the first place. Shouldn't have been there..." he straightened up again, eyes squinting at the horizon with intent. "I shouldn't get to live surrounded by people who love and care about me after that. Not without paying a cost or making up for it somehow. It doesn't get to work like that. I won't let it." Hudson gripped at his arms tightly before going silent again.

Last edited:
Riberta was quiet for a few moments, but he soon heard her move up right behind him in the back of the truck. Her voice was still soft, unlike how she normally sounded. "Hudson...there's other things here that matter beyond what you want or think...Sure, they can live without you...but should they?"

She paused, before speaking again. "You're...depriving your children the chance to...to know you. To have a father who loves and cherishes them...would you rob them of that because you feel you've made an unforgiveable mistake?...If it was unforgivable, you wouldn't be alive right now...you wouldn't have that family who loves you...you would have died long ago...either by someone else's hand, or your own."

She paused again. "...I made the wrong choices throughout my life...both before I lost my daughters and afterwards...I'm a horrible person, and I admit that wholeheartedly. My children...would be horrified of what I've become...of what I've done in their name and my own. I've...murdered men, women, and children alike because they bore the wrong clan name...or because they flew the wrong colors...or simply because they just continued to breathe when I didn't want them to..."

"...I made a deal with Sazak...for the power to avenge my family, and make sure it didn't happen to anyone else in my clan...and then I go on to become a warlord and mass murderer...I deserve to die, Hudson. Not you."

Riberta paused once more. "...Live for them, Hudson. Regardless of what you've done in the past, and regardless of what you think...it can, and appears to have already been, forgiven. You deserve to survive this place and go home. And let nothing stop you from doing that." She then got up from where she was sitting, moving back to where she had been sitting before in the back of the truck. "...Live. That's what you deserve to do. And I'll help you get out of here. Back home."

Last edited:
Takato maintained a watchful eye for most of the ride, only taking a pause to follow with his usual Douean routine. He wasn't the only one keeping watch, but he was among their own to be able to heal, so he piecemeal tried to heal the others to an acceptable level before he concentrated on himself, trying to get his own qi in check. The battle had been fierce, after all. He kept his eyes especially on Loque, hoping she would get better as they got further away from the scene of destruction.

As they entered the Land of Envy, he noted the change in scenery - it seemed reminiscent in color to ill-preserved hua (paintings) from the Imperial era. As he stepped out to examine their environment more closely, he listened to Kassidy and noted the peculiarities of this land. It was weird, to say the least.

Overhearing Inari's remarks didn't reassure him, if mainly because of who she was and what she has done. Sure, there was a use for her abilities now, but if she were to regain all her tails back, what kind of destruction would she bring upon those that had led her to this moment? Deciding against those thoughts, he turned towards Kassidy and bowed.

"...some healing would be kindly appreciated," he asked politely.

In contrary to what Takato was hoping for, Loque didn't actually get any better; still looking as anxious and paranoid as she did when they left Sekath's territory. She'd been carrying her low-hanging head in her hands the entire trip out, only looking up just now to see why they stopped. They're within Sagath's land now. She sighs as she's got a feeling of what to expect the further they go. It's not called the land of envy for no reason after all, though there's really only one person in the entire party she envies anything about, and hopes it won't manifest here. She takes her hands off her face- wait a minute. She rubs her head, looks to her sides, looks in her bag, and frantically looks around the truck as it's now obvious she's forgotten something very important behind.

She left her mask behind at the inferno that's now Sekath's palace. There is nothing hiding her hideous looks anymore.

"V-Vincent? ...Fuck." she grunts out in frustration.

Adding more to her problems is that she can feel a pang across her body. An aching pain sprawls out of her back to her legs, to her arms, and finally to her head. She knows what kind of soreness this is as she’s felt it before, and it's best she gets away from everyone else to make it go away. They don’t need to know any better. There's a tree nearby with a trunk that's large enough to hide her. It's a little cracked, but it'll have to do for as long as it takes. She scurries away from the truck with speed in her steps until she gets there and makes herself comfortable sitting in an indent within its roots. A bottle is produced from her bag and its tin lid is clumsily opened with haste from Loque's shaking hands. More than enough spoonfuls of white powder remains inside. A decent amount is poured into her hand, and smeared onto her ‘face’.

Last edited:
Hudson leaned back into his seat as Riberta gave him that insight, though whether or not he took them to heart or not was yet to be seen given that he remained completely silent. Suffering caused and irredeemable acts should not be ranked or measured, to be beyond redemption is equal throughout. His children were young enough to not be concerned with his presence or relationship to them, if he were to die he would be a tragic story and nothing more. Camille may be devastated by such a thing but she could always find another person to love, someone better than he was. Even then, what the hunter had done was far from a mistake at the time. He knew full well the consequences of what might happen to him, and he has been delaying it ever since.

"It's only forgiven because people have forgotten. I haven't, and I refuse to forget. Remembering it and the guilt I feel is the only thing keeping me from being a complete monster." Hudson finally replied. "Whatever happens, I'll get what's coming to me."

The truck ride from the phallic palace had been anything but relaxing. Aside from tending to her own wounds Seriphine had been busy with cleaning her small assortment of blades and knives while also keeping a watchful eye on her companions. Loque in particular. Despite her terrifying display of force back at the temple Seriphine still looked at her the way any alpha predator would watch an injured or sick member of its pack.
As far as she knew Loque was still a risk and a very real one.

Once the truck stopped momentarily and the group were allowed to stretch their legs Seriphine didn't spend too much time gawking at their surroundings. These lands were cursed and if the previous territories were anything to go by the sightings of the Abyss would keep changing with every domain they visited. She did enjoy the fact that there were more vibrant colors this time around. It reminded her of home, in a way.

With Inari flexing her partially regained powers Seriphine frowned and stepped away a shorter distance to allow herself some space from the chatty warlord. As she did she also noted how Loque sought refuge behind a tree which completely obscured her.

Curious. Perhaps she has only now realized that we can still gaze upon her ugly and malformed visage?

While humorous, Seriphine couldn't help but feel an ounce of pity. She glanced at Vincent and studied him for a while. His words, specifically those related to improving her social skills, lingered. Grunting, Seriphine looked back at the tree and approached.

As she rounded the corner with an unnatural silence Seriphine studied Loque and whatever it was she was doing. None of her concern, really.

"Demon," she said with a much softer tone than usual.

She approached the tree and placed a finely woven cloth bundle atop one of the roots and stepped back. "This mask is of Elven craftsmanship. It has kept me warm during many cold winds and kept me hidden during bold nights. May it shield your face from those that wish you harm and from those that do not understand," she said while gesturing around her face in a circular motion, almost as if she was trying to form a hood.

It takes a moment for the powder to kick in, though it finally made Loque stop hurting. Just as quickly as it went away however did she quickly put the bottle back in her bag and closed it as she heard Seriphine approaching.
"Demon," she said with a much softer tone than usual.
Loque makes a confused and annoyed grunt at Seriphine. Is she that worthless that the Elf forgot her name, or is Hudson possessing her from wherever he is?
"This mask is of Elven craftsmanship. It has kept me warm during many cold winds and kept me hidden during bold nights. May it shield your face from those that wish you harm and from those that do not understand,"
The little gift from Seriphine has her absolutely shocked beyond belief. She hated the elf until recently, and considering her words against her up until now, Loque had thought the feeling was mutual. Surprisingly, it appears this isn’t the case after all. Besides, with what they saw in the murals in Sekath’s palace, Loque understands now they’ve been deeply wronged by the same class of people; so there’s no reason they can’t bury the hatchet... Or at least try to.

You... you want me to have this?” she says, her twisted mouth forming into a depressed frown.

Seriphine nods slowly. "Yes, Loque. Take it. May it serve you as well as it served me and my nomadic ancestors before me."

Glancing back at the truck briefly Seriphine sighs and looks down into the ground.
For a moment she did nothing but stare until she looked up at Loque. "I wish to apologize for my previous attitude at the dwelling. I meant not to harm or intimidate but rather to help and show support."

"I do not yet fully understand everything. The rebirthing. My death. My lost memories. The people I now call companions."

She gestured towards the tree. "I struggle to understand this place and how it works. But I want to improve and become...better."

The Elf fell silent briefly before shaking her head, laughing. "Are we fools for trying to adapt? Is it all worthless? Or do we have the power to choose what we want for ourselves?"

Inari's hand was encompassed in the wispy smoke again as she changed it back to normal. She would have liked to see how quickly she could transform to a few others, but she knew very well that with even only one tail she would be using up a lot of energy. And then she would be hungry. Not peckish or in the mind for food, but hungry. There wasn't enough food among the entire group to satisfy her appetite when she was expelling such energy with transformations, and it wasn't only food that replenished it. The desire for a lust demon slave had more practical reasons than the others might have assumed.

She noticed Loque stumble off towards an old tree and attach herself to it like a mushroom before she began digging into some bottle. Seriphine also went over and seemed to be talking with the woman. They hadn't been on the best of terms, and Loque looked to be on one of her downward bounces again, so Inari drifted on over, her new fluffy tail twitching eagerly. As it looked, the elf was giving the demon a new mask. Now that was sweet. Perhaps they could push the dreaded thing back into a more content place with their efforts. The kitsune dug one hand into her pack and pulled out a cloth roll and opened up one end before reaching in and breaking off half of a rice ball. She was starting to run low, but it was some seriously gourmet shit, and she new Loque had liked it the first time.

Inari sat the rice ball on top of the cloth bundle that held the mask. "Yum yum time! Is good snack to have. Don't take long time in eating! Rice still warm, no let it go cold." As if to demonstrate, Inari ate the other half of the remaining rice ball in her pack, munching on it with both hands. It was an old recipe. Ancient, even. From her grandmother in a time back before there were many people around and Kowareta wasn't even a place. Her mother, and of course herself, had added onto the recipe to give it that little extra flavor. Inari made hers with extra soy sauce to give it that harsh bite she loved.

"Are we fools for trying to adapt? Is it all worthless? Or do we have the power to choose what we want for ourselves?"
Loque's the last person anyone should get philosophical with, seeing as she's just a humble cook who ended up way over her head in all this. Still, the least she can to Seriphine opening up to her is humor her a bit.

"I don't know... then again, with what happened to your people, it'd be disgusting if you weren't given a second chance. But... not just for you, but the rest of your people too. Only foolish thing I think to do out of all this is to repeat the same mistakes that killed your kind... Wish I heeded that before coming back here-" And here comes Inari, blocking Loque from finishing that statement.
"Yum yum time! Is good snack to have. Don't take long time in eating! Rice still warm, no let it go cold."
Fortunately she's not here to pick a fight with Seriphine despite what happened back at Kassidy's flat. Instead, a food offering is made to her. Truth be told, the first rice ball she gave really hit the spot, so hopefully this one is good too. Though just like last time, Loque wonders if she knows food isn't going to make her feel better, but the gesture was much appreciated at least. Picking it up, she gives Inari a slight bow while saying to her one of the very few phrases Loque knows in any of the Redonian languages.

"U-Uh...[ghaum uhhn coh]." she says, before stuffing it in her mouth and eating it.

Inari grins as Loque gets eating, though she shakes her head slightly. "Best word to say if you say words for eating is - Itadakimasu! Is nice word to say with food, make food more good," she explained, chowing down on her part of the rice ball. She cast side eyes towards the elf and pulled a piece of her rice ball apart and gestured it at the elf. "You eat, too?"

"Best word to say if you say words for eating is - Itadakimasu! Is nice word to say with food, make food more good,"
Loque goes back to sulking against the base of the tree. "There's no need... I have enchantment spells for that." A little napkin wipes her mouth as she looks back at the both of them. "... I wasn't a burden back there, was I?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back