• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Hunter's Moon: The Sin & Sentence [IC] [CLOSED]

"N-No no, its nothing like that! I'm not here to hurt anyone!" "Its okay, sister. She won't harm anyone. Especially not the children...she's changed."
A long breath of relief is drawn by Ratka at the news, sincerely hoping that Undite is right about this. She still can't help but feel extremely wary, though. She knows how badly her Order back at home would kill for a chance to kill some more here. Still, maybe she did change, if such at thing is even possible anyways.

However the surprise of the both of them visiting her is still making her tremble. Instinctively, she closes a thumb and two fingers, and puts it against her mouth. The children have seen this before and know what it means and why she's doing it. One of them scampers away towards a room in the back and returns holding a lighter and a pack of cigarettes. They know how much Ratka loves to smoke whenever she's stressed out and thought they could help their caretaker here.

Unfortunately, the church has got strict rules against this sort of thing, and what a hell of a way to get found out she's breaking a vow like this. "...[Damn.] I'm sorry." She lifts up her veil, exposing her heavily scarred face beneath, and starts lighting a cigarette.

"S-So... What bri-"
-BANG-
The sound of a gunshot echoes from the colony below. Another shot is fired, and another. Someone down there just got killed. The children carefully move away from the windows while Ratka simply bows her head and waits for it to stop.

"So what made you want to visit me today?"

"Well, I missed you, sister. And I wanted to check on you and see how you were." explained Undite. Meanwhile, Velin had returned her attention to the children (after glancing to the window following the gunshots.) She glanced up to Ratka after a few moments, and offered a question. "Is...Is it okay if I play with them?" she asked, cautiously. She'd rather get permission first than risking the nun thinking she was trying to slaughter the children.

---
As Rosanna arrived at the cowboy and grave digger, the grave digger gave her a smile. The cowboy simply glanced up at her, peering at her from under the brim of his hat. He looked ordinary, like one of the Natives that used to be spread out over the area. Just like the Grave Digger. Their conversation was brief, and out of earshot from everyone. But soon, the three parted ways. Rosanna returned to where the Agency was, while the grave digger returned to tending the graves. The cowboy, however, straightened up and walked away quietly. Disappearing on the other side of the graveyard.

Soon, Rosanna arrived, stepping inside the agency. "Nice place! Better lookin' than the guild hall back in Skull Creek, that's for sure." she said, glancing about.

Every detective in the agency was celebrating. O'Toole, an old prospector who was now the explosives expert of the agency, made his famous moonshine. Which was known all over Red Gorge. When Rosanna entered the agency, Lucy stopped pulling Volog's ears and ran towards her. A huge smile on her face from ear to ear. Jessica was about to ask Theodore for a dance when Rosanna walked in. "Yup! Jakob put a lot of love to this place. All thanks to the countess. If it wasn't for her kindness, this wouldn't have happened. Never met her myself, but Gods bless her soul." Rosanna could see several pictures hanging on the wall. Some of detectives that had passed in the line of duty, others just pictures of their families. Rosanna was surprised to see a hand-drawn pictures of everyone in the Inquisition hanging near Jakob's office. Probably made at request of Jakob. Jessica noticed Rose looking at the picture and gave her a pat on the shoulder. "Jakob always told me that he regretted not getting a group picture with y'all, so he had those drawn. To not forget ya."

"Well, I missed you, sister. And I wanted to check on you and see how you were."
Ratka's remaining eye lights up in awe on hearing that. "You missed me?" The wide smile she had earlier comes back, though fades away slowly. "Well, I am alive. It could be worse I suppose... But life here is hard... V-Very hard." She points to what's left of her other eye; its lid covered by nasty scars. "The riot, the gang wars, the rest of our group being killed or going home... and the t-things I had to do for the children." For a moment, she looks back down sullenly and her hands tighten to fists, noticeably shaking as her knuckles turn white.

"I would go home, I would take the children with me and go home, but I can't. The Warders won't let anyone leave."
"Is...Is it okay if I play with them?"
A silent stare is Ratka's response for a second until she finally answers. "I-I almost forgot!" She turns to face the kids around her, still eyeing Velin with curiosity. "Children, this is Velin! She is Undite's friend! Say hello to her!"

"Hello, Velin!" they greet her in unison.

Meanwhile, the gunfire outside is heard again, though this time it's louder. It's clear there's a large gunfight going on somewhere in the middle of all those dilapidated structures and dirty alleys. As it dies down again however, a yellow flare is launched into the air. It flickers and fizzles brightly in the sky until another flare is launched next to it, this one red. One last gunshot is heard until an eerie stillness drapes itself over the colony. It's broken again, this time not by gunfire, but by screaming coming from the Warder stronghold nearby. The sentries posted outside are pointing at them and shouting at their comrades inside, visibly agitated at whatever the flares mean.

Undite quietly steps over to the window, peering out of it as she listened to the sounds outside. "...Certainly a shadow of its former self, the island is." she whispered. She then looked back to Ratka. "It would indeed be safer if you were transported back to Eternis. We could even find ways to take care of the children there."

Velin, nearby, was now talking to the children. Answering the questions that they posed as well as offering her own. She had sat down on the floor with them now, a wide smile on her face. She seemed to be...happy, for once.

---
"Yeah...I wish we had got that photograph..." said Rosanna softly. The countess really did help Jakob out. She smiled at the thought. "Mariette was a beautiful and kind soul. She had her faults, just like all of us...but she did what she thought was right in the end." said Rosanna, glancing back to Jessica. "...I really...I really miss her, ya know? Well...I missed everyone...but her a bit more than most."

She went quiet for a few moments, looking at the pictures of them that had been drawn. Eventually she rubbed her eyes and turned around. "Better not kill the mood, I guess. I'll take a glass of whatever y'all are drinkin'. Then I gotta play with little Lucy."

Last edited:
Escaria

Kilo Fraiser Miles wouldn't expect that Wesley would make such a name for himself both in Braumwich and in some corners of Shoya. In the worst way possible. After Kilo managed Wesley to take up hunting, they both went their separate ways. He, a Journalist. and Wesley, A hunter. from there, they exchanged letters on how they've been doing or how they've been living so far. Up until Wesley suddenly stopped making letters to Kilo, the last time they had in contact with each other was back when Wesley sent him a letter detailing of a raid of someone's manor. then, poof. nothing for the past 3 years. Kilo didn't understand what had happened to Wesley, Did he die? Did he resent every single bone in his body? Did he suddenly just changed jobs? When he was sent to report on a major event nearby Braumwich, he was lucky enough that Wesley's hometown of Reldino was close by. Once he arrived at Reldino, he knocked on the Wilch's door, only to be suddenly be informed by the man's father, That this artistic vampire hunter has turned into a vampire himself, Made a woman kill her parents then herself and torched down the house they lived in. Kilo didn't understand this. How could he? He stayed with the Wilchs for a short time and then went on to his intended location. From then on, Where ever he goes, He'd have to inquire where that Artistic-Vampire-Hunting-Twig-who-is-now-a-Vampire-Twig went.

And then, he found a lead.

A few weeks ago, In a Inn in Escaria, One of his coworkers who were sent to Redonia sent him a letter, detailing of a man who wore a black hood with gold-like engravings on it and what seems to be a sword of foreign designs, taking with the owner of a local agency. It fit all the descriptions of the Artistic Twig. This was it. A solid lead where that Son of a bitch went. As soon as he got the letter, He accounted on punching a weak portion of a wooden wall and making a medium-sized hole on it, before sneakily packing and heading off before anyone noticed. He hopped on the first train to Red Gorge to see where he was last known. He walked along the sidewalks, seeing a glimpse of the newspapers of "Red Gorge against the Gods", He can account for some people who were working with the press who were working on their headlines as well, But for now, That didn't matter. He arrived at the Phillomon Detective Agency and walked up to its front door and opened it. noting all the detectives who were a tad happy today he made his way to the counter where someone was manning it.

"Ah, Hello? ah yes, May I inquire for someone named Wesley Wilch? I was told that he was here a few weeks ago, talking with the owner of this establishment.." He gave him a picture of the man and some of the details that matched him.

"It would indeed be safer if you were transported back to Eternis. We could even find ways to take care of the children there."
"It really would... but every time I think of finding some way to leave, I always find another child on the streets. There's more of them, Undite. I just can't leave them all alone here." She takes another puff from her cigarette while pointing at the stronghold outside. "Especially at their mercy."
Answering the questions that they posed as well as offering her own.
The questions the children ask Velin seem rather bizarre. Questions like "Can I really drink the water in Heaven and not get sick?", "Do the angels have guns too?", and "Are people in heaven really safe from the gangs?" seem really weird to ask, but it gradually paints a picture of the sad reality they're forced to live in. They know nothing else than the misery and violence Caraborough has to offer. One of them stays silent though, and instead is scribbling something on a paper.

Meanwhile the activity at the stronghold only increases. The entire structure lights up like a beacon as alarms are blaring loudly while lights are flashing. One of the sentries activates a spotlight and shines it brightly over the general area of where the flares came from, looking for something. As he does, the heavy steel doors of the stronghold open slowly with a loud groan, and those in the church finally saw them as they step outside. There must’ve been hundreds of them; hundreds of men dressed in black and blue re-purposed prison guard uniforms with major modifications done to make them look different enough. Makeshift armor made from scrap, reinforced helmets with metal plates nailed into them, bullet belts of various calibers and shells, dirty shrouds draped over some of their heads with weird designs and symbols painted on them, tribal paint on their armor and their bodies; these men didn’t look like your average street gang at all. Far removed from your typical dirty coats, jewelry, and top hats as possible; the Warders appear more as a militia of merciless tribal savages, all heavily geared up and armed to the teeth with various sorts of lethal weaponry. Machine guns were common among them, as were shotguns, flamethrowers, and more compact homemade looking guns with large magazines poking out of them. Yet perhaps the most noticeable thing about them is that some of the Warders look rather short, barely reaching past the waistline of their taller peers. One of them steps forward, presumably their leader, neater looking and dressed in a cape painted in a paisley pattern.

He starts roaring something incomprehensible at them, waving his gun around aggressively in what looks like an attempt to rile his comrades up for a battle. They respond by shouting back in confirmation at him. He shouts again, this time firing his gun wildly into the air. His men do the same, firing off their machine guns and flamethrowers into the air. They all move as one away from their base, calling out some sort of cadence as they did. At first, they’re seemingly headed towards the church until they make a sharp turn and move down the road towards the colony instead.

Undite watched the group move past the church, stepping a few steps away from the window as she watched. Gang warfare. The odd thing was that a good chunk of them seemed to be cambion. Half-human, half-demon. She sighed, and glanced back to Ratka. Children didn't need to be anywhere near this. Why did Atraca let this place devolve into this madness? Meanwhile, Velin continued to listen and speak to the children around here. The same thought that Undite just had surged through her mind as well. She'd have to bring it up to the king when she met with him about the peace talks. Something needed to be done, even if she had to do it herself. For the children's sake.

Undite soon spoke. "...I can bring you some supplies and assistance. Anything to help out here and push back against this madness outside." she said.

Last edited:
"...I can bring you some supplies and assistance. Anything to help out here and push back against this madness outside."
"R-Really?" Ratka's face lights up with warmth. "It'd... It would help me greatly, but I must warn you... There is another who brings me things... sometimes, as I think he is trying to make me dependent on him. I don't think he'd like knowing you'll be helping me... In fact he's one of the reasons why the madness is still all over this island." Having enough standing, she finally sits down at one of the pews. "I try to bring your word to him, you know... but he doesn't seem to care. And I want him to... He can do so much good even here if he just tried."

The children continue to pelt Velin with weird questions as they sit around her in wonderment, however the one drawing finally stops scribbling and shows off Velin her drawing. It's crude, but it's illustrated pretty well for someone of her age; Ratka teaching the children how to draw to pass the time has paid off it seems. The drawing is of Undite, Velin, and Ratka between the both of them. Each of them looked happy, and floating above them was the word: VRIENDE. There's other drawings she has stuffed in her pockets too; folded neatly as they hang out of her pockets.

Last edited:
Undite smiled. "Sister...it takes time to get people to see things in a different light. I know from experience." she said, motioning to Velin. "I tried to convince her for centuries...and she's finally seeing things clearer." She glanced back outside the window. "...Who's their leader? I sense...a powerful presence. Far more powerful than the cambion mixed in among them."

Velin looked over the rough picture, smiling wide. It was honestly adorable. She hadn't seen a picture like that in quite a long time. "Fantastic work, little one." she said, glancing to the child. She then noticed the child had other drawings stuffed into her pockets as well. "Could I see your other drawings?" she asked, motioning to them with her finger.

---
Rosanna glanced over towards the front desk, when she heard someone mention Wesley. "Wesley? I haven't seen him in three years." she said aloud, before looking to Jessica. "Did he swing by here?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. "It'd be like 'em, really."

She then looked back to the man. "What'cha need with 'em?"

She then looked back to the man. "What'cha need with 'em?"

Kilo turns towards Rosanna, "Oh? Do you know him? That man hasn't written a letter me for 3 years now!"

Kilo rumaged through his folder and pulled out a paper that had the sketch of a smoldering ruin of a house, "And then when I visited their household, I was told he became a vampire and made some innocent soul murder her parents and set fire to their house.. But. He's still my friend. When I finally see him, I have the choice of either hugging him like a brother or kicking his ass, I'd chose the latter first before I ask questions what happened to him."

Rosanna took the sketch and looked it over. "That...don't sound like Wesley. Yeah, he was turned into a vampire by a psycho pureblood back on Grimtham Isle, but..." she said, raising an eyebrow. She handed the sketch back to Kilo. "Don't know what to tell ya, beyond the fact that he wouldn't drive some girl to do somethin' like that. At least not on purpose. He was a good kid."

"...Who's their leader? I sense...a powerful presence. Far more powerful than the cambion mixed in among them."
"That's the man I am talking about..." Ratka turns her head to look at Undite right in her eyes with a serious look on her face. "You feel it too, yes? Everyone in this place does, even the children." She takes another long draw from her cigarette, getting slightly more anxious as she speaks. " Sometimes they cannot sleep at night because they can feel him right outside the windows, but he's never there when I go outside to see. There's something so... wrong about him, beyond his leadership of those monsters, and I don't know what it is... Everyone refers to him as the 'Warhead'. Saying anything else will earn you a beating from his men, or worse."
"Could I see your other drawings?"
The little girl shows off the remainder of her quite neatly drawn sketches with some even having been fully colored. They're neat to look at, but the events being depicted are rather mundane. They're either of her playing with the rest of the children, or Ratka interacting with them. In some, she's teaching them how to write, others show her teaching them how to pray, and one even has her playing some sort of instrument as the children sit around her. There's only two that stand out from all the others. One's of a stylized version of Undite, though the other is something incredibly worrying.

Ratka and the rest of the children were indeed on it, but something else took center focus. Drawn off to the side from the center of the page, and in intricate detail down to the colors, was this imposing beast of immense size looming over Ratka and the children; leering at them viciously as it had one of them in its hands by the neck. It's dressed much like one of the Warders outside, though its uniform was more authoritative looking and drawn like a monster. It had razor sharp claws poking out of its gloves, its cape was redrawn into skin-like wings flashing behind it, and then there was its face. It was just a series of black scribbles with two semi-blank spots for eyes and an enormous maw lined with pointed teeth, gnashing and drooling as it appeared to be roaring at the child it's gripping. In its shadow, Ratka was drawn helplessly crying along with the children gathered behind her.

Something horrible happened at this church, something traumatizing that's still lingering among the minds of the children.

And on the outside, the signal for all hell to break loose is given in the form of an explosion in the distance, lighting up the skyline and sending smashed bricks and bent chunks of metal flying everywhere like a steel volcano. The Warders are getting to work cleansing the area the flares came from. People, both gangsters and non-aligned folk, can be seen fleeing for their lives in the maze-like alleys as they moved in for the kill; closing off the streets, leaping from rooftop to rooftop, and bursting through the grates leading to the underground sewer tunnels. Those with machine guns were gunning down anyone not wearing their uniform while those with flamethrowers were burning down buildings. This isn't just a raid, this is a purge, a complete flattening of an entire street of the colony. Whatever the flares meant, it made them particularly bloodthirsty.

Last edited:
Kilo sighs, "I still don't understand what had happened to him after we last spoke... You mentioned Grimtham? You must be one of the people that joined Madame Valeria. Oh... Where are my manners?" Kilo puts his hand forward to Rosanna

"Kilo F. Miles, Journalist for the Braumwich Times. I was unfortunately the one that helped the poor sap get into hunting. And you are..?"

Rosanna reached out and shook Kilo's hand. "Rosanna McFadden." she replied, with a smile. "And yeah, I was part of the inquiry in Grimtham. Well...I was till I died." She glanced to Theodore. "Long story."

---
Undite's gaze returned to the window, as she listened to the explosions and gunfire outside. Velin straightened up, standing as she looked to Ratka. "I can put him down, regardless of how powerful he may be." she stated, her expression turning far serious than before. "I'll show him what a beating really is." He had scared these children, and apparently hurt them. And that was something she would not tolerate.

"I can put him down, regardless of how powerful he may be." she stated, her expression turning far serious than before. "I'll show him what a beating really is."
Ratka laughs bitterly at Velin's threat. "Ok. You fight him. He dies. Will his next in line be any better? It's very, very hard to say this... but killing him will only make things worse... if it's even possible. You kill him, the entire island will fall to chaos as everyone will want to fill the spot he will leave behind. It would also undo all the work I've done trying to bring him to Lady Undite." She looks over at the drawing Velin was looking at of a monstrous Warhead strangling one of the children. "... I still remember that. He tried taking one of my children from me years ago, he used to be one of his until I found him trying to run away. I remember I asked him why he turns them into killers... Do you want to know what he said?" Briefly, she imitates some sort of vaguely Trechstaatian-sounding accent "Chil'ren ar' perfekt! Dey mus' be taught young on 'ow tu fight an' live inna place like dis." She throws her arms out in disbelief, exasperated at his excuse, though she looks back at the drawing once more. "Do you remember, Lady Undite? It was when I first met him... You saved me that day."

The intensity of the fighting outside gradually dies down, though the pillars of flame that were once homes keep burning. Soon enough, it ceases; replaced by the sounds of hundreds of marching boots headed towards the path up the mountain.

"Ok. You fight him. He dies. Will his next in line be any better? It's very, very hard to say this... but killing him will only make things worse... if it's even possible. You kill him, the entire island will fall to chaos as everyone will want to fill the spot he will leave behind. It would also undo all the work I've done trying to bring him to Lady Undite."

"You underestimate just how thorough I can be, Sister." responded Velin as she started to neatly roll up her shirt sleeves, but Undite waved her hand at her to get her to cease. They listened as Ratka continued, explaining the details behind the picture that Velin had looked at.

"Do you remember, Lady Undite? It was when I first met him... You saved me that day."

Undite tilted her head. "I saved you?" she responded, her voice bearing an inquisitive tone. Velin folded her arms. "How?" asked Velin.

"I saved you?"
"You mean, you do not remember? He came here to take one of his 'little soldiers' back, one I rescued from him. He... he almost k-killed him for 'abandoning his post'. I tried making him let go as he was strangling him, but he was too strong. So I had to use this." Ratka pulls out a steel-trimmed leather book, one dedicated to worshiping Undite. Its corner was dented and stained with a little bit of blood on it. "I'm a very weak woman... Yet I threw it at his head, just so he'd let go and my children could run to safety. It almost killed him in turn. I'll never forget the loud noise it made as it struck his helmet and how he fell over." She looks back at Undite, rather puzzled. "...That was not your doing?"

"...That was not your doing?"

Undite shook her head. "No, dear sister...I granted you the divine gift of healing and mending. What you did was likely of your own power." she said, motioning to Ratka. "You are a cambion, Sister, which means you have your own abilities as well...perhaps they came into play when you defended the child." She walked over, and looked the book over. "...What happened afterwards?"

"...What happened afterwards?"
"Well... He was bleeding badly from his head. And I couldn't leave him there, bleeding to death on the floor. I had no choice but to heal him. If his men found out what I had done and I purposefully left him to die... They would've either killed me or turned me into a 'wyife'. And no one would watch over the children then." She pauses for a moment as she looks at them. "Obviously he was angry that I had struck him, but he saw the crates of leftover bandages and medicines I used on him; things of which are very hard to obtain here. He wasn't angry anymore, and actually offered me money to buy some of them since he and his men need medical supplies. He also demanded to know who was supplying them to me, but I didn't tell him. I wanted him to visit me now and then so I could bring you to him..."

Velin spoke up. "I imagine if he saw her, he'd be wondering why we haven't done anything about this place." she replied. "He'll wonder why we haven't helped. Why they're trapped on this island, fighting in gang wars with one another over scraps."

Velin glanced towards the window. "...I've been asleep in the Heavenly realm for several centuries, conserving my power. Undite was roaming the mortal realm, searching for a way for the gods to maintain their power so that we can live on and help the world. Gyasis and Thiasis are near death, and Adona is nowhere to be found." There was a bit of bite in Velin's statement, when she spoke of Adona.

Undite spoke up afterwards. "...We're doing what we can while we can. When we're gone, a new group of gods will replace us..." she said, looking down to the floor. "...Hopefully they perform far better than we ever did."

"...We're doing what we can while we can. When we're gone, a new group of gods will replace us..." she said, looking down to the floor. "...Hopefully they perform far better than we ever did."
Ratka's jaw hits the floor as she stares at her patron goddess with eyes wide open. When they're gone? Are they dying? They're gods! How can they die? No, no, no... Surely, Undite meant something else, right? "Wh-when you're... g-gone? U-Undite..." she mutters aloud. Undite's words haven't escaped the children either as they all stare at her, looking just as aghast as Ratka is. "...Are you sick?" one of them asks. "Are you going to come back?..." asks another. "Where are you going?" asks one more. One of them looks like they're on the verge of tears.

The scouts of the Warder mob that departed earlier are starting to show up in groups back on the mountain top close to the church. They stand there in silence carefully observing their surroundings for any potential threats as the main bulk is still making their way back up the road.

Undite looked quickly to the children. She had said that out loud, as did Velin. "No no, children! We'll be back! The gods just need time to rest and recuperate!" she said, with a smile. Velin nodded rapidly, squatting back down near them. "Yes. The gods are never gone. We just have to sometimes go away and sleep. We just want to leave the world in a better state before we do!" said Velin, a grin appearing on her face. "Everyone needs to rest sometimes, right? Sleeping is good for you. It helps you regain your strength!"

Undite moved over close to Ratka, while Velin got the children's attention. She then pulled her off to the side, out of earshot. "...The gods...Our power is not infinite...That's what I was searching for. A way to regenerate our power." she whispered. "...Eventually, our power runs out and we fade away. Our souls go to the Heavenly realm, or the Abyss. Afterwards, new gods take the place of old ones...chosen by the Eternal Gods, as Adona called them once before. The current cycle is ending...so that a new one may begin."

She looked to the children, as she continued to whisper to the nun. "...There have been several cycles before us...and will be several cycles after us." There was immense sadness in her voice as she spoke. "...But fret not, sister...I will do everything in my power to help you and the children. As will Velin."

Elsewhere, in the mortal coil
Zhongjing, Upper Redonia
Xinghai Square (星海廣場)

Its grandeur restored, Zhongjing, deemed the de facto 'capital' and center of the fractured Upper Redonia, continued to grow. Many things happened; lords and chiefs establishing themselves near it once more, granting themselves the title of earl or count; the downtrodden and homeless resettling the city's surroundings and thusly expanding its size; larger yokai groups establishing themselves within the city for ease of communication; and the city slowly grew and grew. The old city, as it was now known, had been far eclipsed by its surroundings.

Shi Jing walked along past one of the Douean temples built in that time of growth, approaching Xinghai Square. To her sides stood some of those whom stayed at Shouki Shrine, as well as those whom administered the city. Arriving at the square, a large crowd of people stood, many looking confused and befuddled. Most appeared to be human, though there stood some yokai, whether standing of their own volition, or in the case of a few oni, locked in cages with oni-enforced chains.

Jing knew not what to make of what was going on in recent years. As if from thin air, throughout Upper Redonia, a phenomena had begun where those of the past would return in the present - whether it be mere individuals, or smaller areas of land. After declaring it an 'incident' (yìbiàn, 異変), as her predecessors would have, she tried her best to figure out what within Upper Redonia was causing this issue. And try as she might, she failed. It helped not that news of similar developments began to be heard from Lower Redonia - those of the Kowareta Warring States and Shioya - those of the way of the spirits, revivers of Ruology (儒學) in the cities of Magoka (曲阜) and Shohei (昌平), the latter bringing about the Shoheirans. And the same of the Kairaku Voutean Maritime League. Whispers south of the Voutean-dominated Konron Mountains even indicated that the Sagalite region of Sindoo, the Voutean regions of Battambang and Songphaeng, and the Kusamite Empire of Mwassi too experienced these troubles.

As she considered the scale of this incident, one such as large as this being unseen since the days of demonic domination, she looked over the crowd. She sighed.

"[Hello to you all,]" she began her speech, "[You are all present here, as to find out what had been going on. You may have awakened in a home that was not yours, spoken to people claiming to be your descendants, or found the area of your home alien and foreign to your memory. To some of you, you may have experienced a complete change of systems, whether within the mountains or throughout the plains and hill tops. Clans you may have once seen as weak, now stronger than ever, while yours may not even be around. A few of you may have even been chained, lest insanity take your mind in disbelief. And even fewer may find their kind to be foreign to even their own self.

"[Whether you recall a time when the Son of Heaven and his empire stood tall, whether you recall a time when these lands had yet to hear of a united empire, whether you recall a time of] datusha (大屠殺)[, of widespread invasion, destruction, and occupation, or whether you remember the times after, you all stand here now. And for what reason...?]"

Jing paused for a moment, as she considered her words once more. As many times as she's made this speech, this part always troubled her.

"[W-we know not. The lands to the east and the south too see this phenomena manifest, of the past returning. In this time of crisis, it is important to be calm, collected, and understanding. If nothing else, this may be a challenge to us, of the Way, and if we make through it, we all shall become better and greater than ever before. For all you, whom have no connection to the current, we will do our best to help you adjust to these changing times, but do know this, chaos will not be tolerated.]"

Jing bowed, before floating upwards over the crowd, to their shock and mesmerization, from some having only ever seen their era's shrine master flying, to others recalling the wider mastery of flight during the occupation, to quite a few having never seen someone levitate so.

"[I am Shi Jing, current Shouki Shrine Master, descendant of the great scholar, warrior and civil servant Boying. Feel free to refer to me as but a 'miko'. If you seek more help, head for Shouki Shrine. Otherwise, those of Zhongjing will be happy to help,]" she gave a warm smile to the crowd, as chatter dominated afterwards.

She could tell that, while her words explained a lot to them, many remained confused on other aspects. Those few northern oni, chained as they are, may wonder why it is that their own, even if they are of the past, had sent them here instead. She wondered too this - typically they were opposed to her, to the people of Upper Redonia, to their ways; and yet, in this time of crisis, they turned to her.

She flew back to those that had joined her, as they gave their remarks and praise for Jing's words, before she calmed them and redirected them to the crowd. With a bow, they rushed in to help with any more questions. She sighed, as she wondered what was to come next.

---
The Abyss
North of the Land of Greed
Luzhou (庐州), Yinjian

The memories of how Yinjian came together could be seen throughout the streets, as a faithful Douean made his way towards the market. It was known that, once the Regency of the Heavenly Empire, as they called themselves, arrived within the Abyss, their greed in wishing all those whom they considered their subjects in their area led to the birth of the community here. Though only those with the Regency knew how such a feat was achieved, considering the otherwise dispersed nature of the dead throughout this plane of existence, it led to the building-up of a replica of the last Imperial capital, Jiankang (建康), and the establishment of rudimentary lodgings outside of its walls. Many were somehow brought to the area, circumstances varying from person, to group, to family, and so on. However, as it would have it, the settlements outgrew the divisive and vile regency, and what all had now deemed the 'dark capital' of myth was born anew, an isolated enclave which attempts to stretch its tentacles across what the people deemed the Land of Shade, for the darkness which surrounds and pervades Youdu (in myth at least) stretched across the entire area. It helped too the realization that the Abyss was not as spoken in myth, a place where those are made to atone for their living sins, put through the courts and chambers, a bureaucracy overload, before being taken to the Levels of Hell (and the fact that Diyu was the capital name of the Land of Envy). Thusly, with the shade of the Empire hanging over them, embodying yin itself, thus the Land of Shade was born.

Those rudimentary lodgings grew and grew, going beyond rudimentary, before looking more akin to the larger settlements found today in northern Redonia. Where the Upper Redonians lived, including many oni (𣆠) and yokai, they named their part of the land after those lodgings - Luzhou. Where the Lower Redonians resided, and their yokai, viewed themselves as out of the Imperial domain, and on its border - Sakai (さかい, 堺). Those from the lands known to be controlled by the Maritime League in the mortal coil today, and their yokai, whether Kairaku Voutean, those of the way of brightness, or even minorities, thought similarly, and viewed themselves as a bright spot - Yangchon (양촌, 亮村). Luzhou, Sakai, Yangchon were but the first three to form, as those from the Konron Mountains and southward soon joined. Though those of the Empire of Mwassi never arrived, nor those of the areas it controlled, those of the Mountains and those yokai from Sindoo and Battambang the Empire deemed necessary found themselves making smaller settlements near Yinjian, or joining the existing ones.

Soon, the Douean reached the market, as lively as it ever was, a popular spot for all those damned to be under the shade of the regency. He, however, had no interest in partaking, for he had come for another reason. He made his way towards the center, arriving near the large Douean temple that had been built. Though it was not the first in Luzhou, it was certainly the most popular, for a variety of reasons. He intended to partake in today's ceremonies, but wished to stop near the temple first.

As he slowed down, and approached his destination, he clasped his hands. Coming to a stop, he bowed before the statue present, of that of Zhong Kui (鍾馗).

His story well-known, having attained great academic success through his achievements within the nine-rank system, he was dismissed by the Emperor for his disfigured and ugly appearance. In anger and fury, he committed suicide upon the palace steps, breaking his head open. The King Yama, as he bestowed his divine judgement, saw great potential in the intelligent and smart Zhong Kui, yet condemned him to Diyu for having committed suicide, to be the King of Ghosts, to hunt, capture, take charge of, and maintain disciple and order of all ghosts/spirits (gui, 鬼). Though the myth spoke of him becoming the King of Ghosts, such was not the case in reality. None knew what really occurred to Zhong Kui after he arrived in the Abyss, and in all fairness, when asked, he never said. However, as many came down, so did the myth from the mortal coil. Zhong Kui began adopting the title, and when he found those of his own, he tried to live up to the legend. None so was this more apparent when Yinjian was born.

Once more was he accepted into the Empire, protecting the people of the area as their new homes were formed. It was then that the King of Ghosts was truly born, not by the word of the King Yama, now gone according to the Empire for a promotion (to the transitional realm, or as they began calling it, Lianyu [煉獄]), but by his valor in swearing to protect the people and rid the Empire of evil. However, then and there, he lost favor once more with the Empire, for the very same reason as before. As he grew more aware of what the Empire had done, he repeated his words once more, those he swore when he was bestowed by the people the right to protect them. He would rid the Empire of evil. And so, he walked into the shade and into the darkness of Youdu, and had never been seen since.

Though another now held the same valor as Zhong Kui, after years of vacancy, all remember the tragedy of Zhong Kui. He was a hero of the people, a true sage in a time when one was needed. And his tragedy was but another reminder of the wickedness of the regency. With his thanks to the statue finished, the Douean turned to the temple, and approached inside.

Walking through, the Douean noted the icons and symbols of the Way - such as those of the Three, referring to the process of how all things were produced. The Dou, depicted as the Wuji (無極, Ultimate Nothingness), produced One, depicted as the Taiji (太极, Great Absolute); embodied in the form of Yuanshi Tianzun (元始天尊), the one who created the Divine Plane and the mortal coil, and oversees Creation itself. One produced Two, depicted as the Taiji producing Yin and Yang, just as Yuanshi produced the two planes. And Two produced Three, depicted as the interaction of Yin and Yang with Qi present. And with the two planes, their interactions would yield the underworld, Diyu - the Abyss. And embodied it was in the figure of Tongtian Jiaozhu (通天教主), who is depicted in a villainous fashion, his non-human-origin Jie sect contrasting Yuanshi's (originally) human-origin Chan sect. Alongside depictions of the Three (and with it Yuanshi and Tongtian), one can see Hongyuan Laozu (鸿元老祖), whom is said to have become their teacher (representing the Wuji; as well as separately One teaching Two), and is ancestor to all siennyin, thus referred to as Hongjun Laozu (鴻鈞老祖) or Xuanxuan Shangren (玄玄上人), existing before Heaven came to be and before Pan Gu separated the Earth and Sky. Tongtian's vilification, though with precedent, intensified following the Age of Darkness, as it is said he, alongside Fujiwara no Chikata, brought about the loss of the Empire's Mandate of Heaven.

The Douean found his spot within the space, and soon, the ceremonies began, the chanting echoing throughout the space, and onto the open area within the temple. Those outside the temple could hear as their words reached into the skies. It was another quiet day, but celebrations across Yinjian were coming, for it was nearly time for the Night of Sevens.

Last edited:
"...But fret not, sister...I will do everything in my power to help you and the children. As will Velin."
This doesn't reassure her at all. She still retains that shocked look, only now her eyes are starting to glisten with tears. "You... y-you're dying..." She's choked up so much at the revelation that the words just barely leave her thoughts. "Wh-what am I going to tell them!?" she points towards the children. They're not exactly buying Velin's explanation either, but they look a bit more comforted by it... for now.

Again outside, commotion is picking up as more and more Warders start coming back. Some of them are taking the side of the road close to the church, close enough that their bickering between eachother could be heard if Velin or Undite were listening closely enough.

"... Ja, ja... dis 's de one who kill'd our men alright..." says the one with the paisley-pattern cape to his men behind him. "G'nna 'ask War'ead t' 'it 'im wit 'die band'..." One of them responds back to him. "Fittin' fur a poes like him. G'nna git wha' he deserves..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back