• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Hunter's Moon: The Sin & Sentence [IC] [CLOSED]

As something gently growled within the cabin, Takato thought of removing his robe after he did his pre-sleep chanting, which he'll have to do internally, lest he bother the others. But as he considered amending the chanting for the aforementioned reason, he realized that removing his robe might not be such a sensible proposition. He wore lightly beneath his robe and pants, with only an underrobe covering his body, which he'd also take off, leaving him in his underwear. While he could do this before in travel, as he was always by himself, this time he really couldn't.

When Loque held out what looked to be a jar with the smell of meat and vegetables with spices , offering it to the others, Takato raised his hand in refusal. He wasn't particularly hungry.

"Hmm..." Inari hummed slightly to herself, taking a seat across from Senya. She undid the sword from her waist - still sheathed - and held it in both hands. Unlike her other two blades, with pearl grips inlaid with black-blue scrawling lines, the grip of the katana was far less regal. It was black cork, with red ribbon and knotted cord twirling around it and embedded into the material to ensure it easily kept in one's grasp no matter how hard it was swung about. All of the metallic pieces visible were black as the darkest of nights, with no shine.

"Then I shall share tale. This blade is named Kioshi. It is spirt-bound. Within sleeps a yokai known as Gashadokuro, a spirit born from battlefields of the worst. As free spirit, it ate and devoured all who pass its field. Now it exist within blade and feasts on those who are slain or bled by its edge. Once drawn, it must feed, or it will be angered. I am Kioshi's master, for if others try to wield, it will be unruly. Take advantage of one not aware of who it is."

The journey towards the station was uneventful but peaceful. The group had managed to to calm itself down long enough. The hell train itself was impressive as it was imposing. A mammoth of a machine. The occupants didn't impress him much. Bout time these slags found a different line of work and be useful as far as he was concerned.

"Oi love. Before you go anywhere, does this train have a newspaper you can bring me to read. I wanna know what's been going on around the Abyss." An odd request to some, but it was worth a shot to ask the succubus for something. With that done he picked out a cabin to be in. Turns out he picked the one where Hudson was already stewing in. Henderson didn't say anything, but just put away whatever baggage he had and relaxed in his seat. If there was some luxury to be had in the Abyss, might as well take advantage of it.

Inari agreed to showcase her katana by holding it in her hands. She wasn't going to lie, it felt very familiar to the Warden. She was pulled back into a happier past with family, but shook off the feeling to examine the katana further. Getting closer this Kioshi looked very ornate, but wasn't suffering from scratches or low quality. It was clear Inari explained Kioshi was special because there's a spirit within, Gashadokuro. Senya narrowed her eyes, this spirit fed off of blood and while it wasn't her place to judge, it raised several questions why the Redonian wielded such a weapon.

Senya nodded as Inari explained, "Interesting. I assume you've been acquainted with this katana for a while now. However..." She paused, staring at the weapon. "Should I have to worry if this spirit brings trouble?"

The kitsune laughs, laying the sword across her legs. "No, alone sword cannot do anything. It is strong, but spirit of narrow mind. Thirst is all it knows. When awakened, it may make sensitive people ... discomfortable, ah, uncomfortable. Kioshi is like forever hungry wolf, or bear, held by a chain to me. There can be no trouble unless, say, spirit is removed somehow. Not easy task. Easier to bind spirit into sword than release it."

Inari considered if she should go further into discussing herself with the Red Warden. The woman seemed honorable and far from backhanded, but she didn't know how she would take it that she, a normal appearing human woman with perhaps a strange aura was several centuries old. She was no sorcerer or monk, or obviously supernatural, so she didn't have so clearly an explanation that she was actually that age. Perhaps it would be better to attempt to garner some trust with this woman, who seemed of the dependable sort. Inari considered herself a fair judge of character.

"Yes, I know this blade for a long while. Centuries. I no mere warrior woman."

She suspected something was up with her story when she talked about Kioshi. If she knew this spirit for over a century, what does that make her? Senya sensing the strange aura due to her profession wasn't helping Inari's case here. "No mere warrior woman alright." Senya couldn't agree more, changing her curious expression into a serious demeanor. "Why tell me this?"

"Is good to be honest with friends, yes?" Inari crossed her hands on her lap, over the sword, providing Senya with a rather innocuous smile. "Some secrets okay, some fine. Some dangerous. You smart lady, also very strong. Good thoughts. I don't want you feel bad later or think me liar when all I do is just hold tongue. We will be here long time, I think, so is good to know each other appropriately, yes? And we bunk together. Better to sleep with rabbit than viper!" She hoped being a little forthcoming would be to her advantage.

Whatever cabin Hudson had stumbled himself into seemed to be getting the more quiet members of the group. Small blessings, perhaps. While there was not much company he would consider enjoyable so long as they did little to harass him that was all that mattered. As Henderson strolls in and asks for a newspaper the hunter merely looks up at him before rolling his shoulders, arms crossing slightly tighter as he set about relaxing slightly. There was no telling how long the trip would be, and he may as well get whatever rest that he could get.

Senya seemed to agree what Inari had to say why due to the reason it's better to be honest with your friends. Everything she said felt completely honest and Senya wanted to believe she wouldn't cause harm to the group. But the last thing she said felt contradicting about her character.
Better to sleep with rabbit than viper!

Perhaps it was the paranoia setting in or the tiredness of the infighting, but Senya grew skeptical. She didn't know why Inari associated her as a rabbit, but in all her years fighting and making sure the parts of the known world were safe from harm, she certainly wasn't a rabbit. Even if it was a figure of speech. Nevertheless, Senya gave a smirk to the Redonian. "Of course. I don't mind you staying here." Senya nodded.

Uloth looks up from where she's slouched into the chair, lifting her iron mask off and setting it on the table with a dull thunk. She closes her eyes and props her head up in her hand with her elbow on the table. She sits there and just idly listens to the sounds around her, she cracks an eye open to look at Loque's profering of food. She mutters something unintelligible and closes her eyes again, her stomach lets out a long, low grumble and she sighs. She reaches her free hand out and gives a little wave indicating she wants the jar. She sits up slightly and reaches down into the pack at her feet to pull out a small metal camping mess kit, unpacking it and placing the dish she plans to use as a plate on the table.

Inari nods, smiling more. "Ah, good!" This woman certainly did seem to be one of the better ones to get associated with in the inquiry. She wondered how they were doing in the other rooms, of those who had already settled in. She didn't hear any fighting yet, so evidently well enough.

"Tell me, Senya, is your weapon - your armor maybe - special like my sword? We both warriors, these things are things we can share."

Senya stood upright on her seat as Inari wanted to know about her equipment. She looked down at the black armor, giving her answer, "Not the black armor, no." The Warden shook her head, unlatched the longsword from the scabbard. "Resilient edge, sharp, doesn't dull as much. I don't know if it's special." Senya shrugged. While she could go on for an hour about fighting, they had a long journey ahead. She placed the sword back into place. Senya pressed a hand against her fist, making a short bow before laying on stop of a bottom bunk bed.

Last edited:
"Ah... very nice...." Inari commented, glancing over the warden's armor and sword. There was certainly some good craft work here, utilitarian and well taken care of. She didn't think the woman was lying about any hidden sorcery attached to her gear - she couldn't sense much or any if that was the case anyways. However, it seemed the woman was keen to sleep, and Inari wasn't going to press the woman.

The kitsune gathered her gear and kept it on top of her bed, rather than stashing it under or elsewhere. Her swords were lain out neatly beside her. She had some spare clothes, but not really too much, so she stripped entirely so as to keep her attire from getting wrinkled in the night. The cloth, and herself, would need a bath eventually. Perhaps in the morning. Cleanliness wasn't always easy to keep up on campaign, but it was important.

She pulled up a pillow and lounged on her bed, lost in meditation and thought more than trying to go to sleep, though she didn't mind if the realm of dreams claimed her.

Not once did Senya decide to remove her helmet lying on the bed. She wanted a short nap until they can enter Sheol. She didn't mind people talking while she was napping, just no fussing over petty stuff. The Warden rolled to the side facing the wall, taking off her gloves to reveal a large scar on her left hand, the thumb twitching. A few thoughts wandered in her mind like Inari asking if her sword was special. And while she couldn’t answer that, how they met for the first time certainly was. Because nine years ago, her brother Ryden showed it to her.

Her brother Ryden took her and Aedan to the estate courtyard, they needed to know how to fight so Ryden acted as an impromptu instructor. The day was sunny in Valencia and this was a good time as any to practice their swordsmanship. Their older brother just came to visit for one day until he had to leave for another contract. Such was his profession he chose for himself despite his father's wishes. Ryden's hair was kept short, black unlike his other siblings who sported silver-blonde. He always was cheery, a classical gentleman that encouraged those closest to be happy.

Senya’s younger brother Aedan was much taller than her, wearing clothing fitted for sparring and had an overconfident smile. On the opposite side was Senya, her hair tied up into a single braid wearing the same outfit as he was. Her older brother Ryden stood between then, glancing at them both if they were going to respect the sparring rules. The sparring began with Aedan taking an offensive position, training sword upward and foot planted forward. Senya rolled her eyes, waiting for him to make his move, but as the fight resumed Aedan kept on delaying his action through a series of flashy swordsman gestures. Ryden furrowed his brows, tilting his head. “Stop showing off Aedan! You’re not dancing, you’re fighting. Act like it!” He shouted, arms folded.

Aedan simply chuckled, looking over his shoulder. “You’re such a bore dear brother. I guess that’s why they let you into the Red Wardens!”

This was the moment to strike, Senga lunged herself to make contact, the side of the blade almost landing. Aedan widened his eyes, clashing his dull blade against hers, parrying the attack. He retaliated by aiming for Senya’s side repeatedly as she blocked these attempts with no time to spare. When it was clear Aedan cornered Senya, she circled him taking his original spot. She adjusted her stance as the sword pointed directly towards him. Her left hand clenched the handle, perfectly still. “Do our family a favor and just yield. Stick to reading politics.” Senya taunted, hoping it would rile Aedan up to lose his competitive edge. But it barely fazed him, he hasn’t made a normal response unlike the beginning. She gritted her teeth, “Come on! No big words for a man like you?” Aedan pushed forward, swinging his blade vertically causing Senya to move. He swung to the left side, causing her to lose her footing while he overwhelmed her with a series of blows. They clashed one final time, as Senya looked enraged to the point she was willing to beat it out of him for real.

“Wanna know a secret?” Aedan asked, causing her to nearly lose it due to that smug smile he had. “What?!” Senya raised her voice a bit.

That’s it, Aedan thought. Her brother shoved her with all his strength, causing her to lose her balance and leaving him to land at the end of the sword near her chest. Aedan sighed a load of relief, earning the kill. Senya shook her head, frustrated at the outcome. She groaned in rage, glaring at her little brother. He knew he was playing some sort of game, and now she was getting humiliated for it. Why the nerve of him. Senya pointed her sword at him with Aedan shooting a nervous grin. “You set me up!” She shouted. She wanted to win, but her wroth made it difficult to play casually.

“You got angry. Don’t overthink it so much.” He raised his hand, calming her down. Ryden stepped forward between them, giving a friendly smile, “Okay okay, don’t start you two. Now listen, you both did well. However... Aedan, less showing off. Senya, don’t let the moment get to you. Watch yourself from getting overpowered.” He warned Senya she will always face a challenge fighting larger opponents, but it was a lesson she’ll learn eventually. Ryden turned to each sibling, “Now, what do we do after a match?” He eyed Senya especially.

After a bit of hesitation from both sides, they eventually shook hands. Ryden chuckled patting them on the back. “Lighten up, I hear dinner is almost ready. You two should find Rena. I need to talk to the old man.” Senya and Aedan placed the training swords on the rack, heading to the main hallways to find their young sister. Knowing her, she was probably reading the latest Gothic novel or busy playing the piano. In the estate entrance, they saw a teenager sitting on the large stairway reading a series of short stories. Rena turned to see them in fighting gear, rolling her eyes. Despite this, she couldn’t help but give a cheeky smile. “Showing off I assume?” Rena asked politely while Aedan could only chuckle. “We ended early, Ryden had to talk to Father. Besides, we wanted to know what poem you were reading this time.”

“We?” Senya raised an eyebrow, turning to Aedan. He sighed tiredly, “At least I wish to know. But I suppose that can wait for another time. In other news, dinner is almost ready. You coming?”

Rena nodded, switching to her book, “Give me a moment. I would like to finish this one.” Rena gave a half effort wave to both as they went up to their rooms to change out of their sparring gear. Eventually, all four siblings walked side by side with Ryden being the first in front. They entered through the massive dining room with the first thing they saw being the long dining table for the whole family. Senya, Ryden sat down to the left side while Aedan and Rena went to the right. They all started talking before their Father would show up. The utensils were already arranged in proper order, but that never stopped Rena messing with the forks. Senya shook her head in disapproval, Rena can't grow any faster at this pace.

“I’m really glad you decided to visit us, Ryden. I was starting to think we wouldn’t see you for next year.” Rena smiled, enjoying her older brother reunited with the three. He gave a thumbs up in response. He mentioned giving a thumbs up was just a casual way to approve of something. Senya didn't see the point, she was a noblewoman after all. “Redonia brings interesting work to say the least. I’ve been trying to track down this dangerous Oni by the name of Kimura. He made a horrible reputation killing people across Adonia, and now the Stronghold is willing to pay for one of us to get the bastard.” Ryden casually explained what was he doing for the past year, “But I didn’t spend my holiday to talk about work. How are you guys doing?” He leaned forward, eager.

Aedan answered, “Agreeable. I’m learning how to manage the estate under Father. Rena’s an aspiring poet while Senya’s been wanting to join the Red Wardens. She hoped you could teach her.” Aedan lifted a hand as Senya got flustered. She planted a fist on the edge of the table, “None of your concern, Aedan. Besides, why should I waste my talents practicing cursive and dancing when I have perfectly good hands to fight with?” She raised her voice across the table, her three siblings unfazed.

“Nothing wrong with dancing, dear sister,” Rena interjected as she crossed her arms, eyes closed. But soon enough, they all heard footsteps coming from the door they came in. The siblings turned to face their own father’s late appearance. The old man stepped forward, pulling out a golden pocket watch from his coat pockets, checking the time. The Father went by the name of Davion Melgaeron after his great grandfather. He was nearing his late fifties and wore a red dress shirt and brown slacks. The black coat fitted his status as the owner of the estate. His short hair was entirely silver, either caused through age or genetics, it was unknown. He eyed his children sitting at the table, satisfied. Davion sat down, hands on his lap.

“Shall we begin?” He said.

The butlers brought out the main entrees in the form of enchiladas, escudella and paellas. Each family member selected their choice with Senya picking escudella, a form of meat stew while her condiment is a bowl of guacamole. Her father Davion adjusted his seat on the far end of the dining table, scanning his family until he saw Rena sneaking small portions of her food to her chihuahua, Milo. Rena turned to meet her father with a stern glare on his face, putting the fork back to her plate. The chihuahua quickly walked out of the room chewing carne.

They spared a moment of silence to pray, bowing their heads until it was finally time to feast. Senya consumed some of the meal using a spoon, hearing some of the conversations opening up.

“I presume Rena’s history lessons are going well?” Senya asked toward her father while Rena gave an assuring smile. Davion slowly nodded, enjoying some of his meal. “Yes, her tutor mentioned she’s performing well than he expected. The Monarch, Valencia, and so on.”

“It’s not exactly a difficult subject, Father.” Rena shook her head, twirling her spoon around the bowl, elbow on the table until she immediately corrected this. Davion's face wizened, preparing another lecture. “It shouldn't be. It’s vital you learn our history and culture. I can’t stress it enough it’s a competitive world out there. No daughter of mine will work as if they were impoverished. We are Melgaerons.” Davion explained calmly. But at the same time, Senya had the urge to challenge his words.

“Pardon me, Father. Ryden works hard, and even though the life of a Red Warden is harsh, it’s an important duty. It’s not a steady income either. But it allows people to live without worry from monsters. Does that count as impoverished?” Senya questioned, narrowing her eyes while Ryden sighed. Here we go again, Ryden thought. Davion looked to his daughter dumbfounded by her reasoning. He furrowed his brow, making a light cough before responding.

“Ryden made his decision as an adult to take up a dangerous lifestyle just so he can play heroics out of a fairy tale. Now, you will not waste your time dealing in those affairs. You have completed your education and are perfectly suited for marriage. You will not become some spinster on the streets.” He raised his tone as the other siblings grew silent.

“I think we get the point Father,” Aedan pinched the bridge of his nose, wincing when this talk came up again. “If I’m being honest, I don’t see why not.” He shrugged, in his opinion it was Senya’s choice if she wanted to follow in Ryden’s footsteps. His brother was a skilled Warden and knew how to handle himself, taking Senya under her wing could teach her how to be a strong warrior. His father switched his focus, a stern glare to young Aedan.

“Not now, Aedan,” Davion said.

"That's not your decision to make. I think I should have the choice to train with Ryden out there. Or perhaps I can work with The Church to do good out ther-" Senya explained before her final words were cut off by her father

"Enough, Senya! You've done this multiple times already and I'm growing tired of it. Just, go to your room." Davion avoided his child's eyes, a hand shielding his left side of his face. Senya clenched her hands into fists, marching out of the dining room with her siblings looking at each other. Ryden watched Senya leave in a fit of rage, giving a harsh sigh. It was time he talked to her in private.

Ryden peeked through her sister’s room, not wanting to interrupt any hobbies she had going on after getting sent there due to tonight’s dinner. He opened the door as his sister was reading a book by her desk. Senya looked over her shoulder, seeing Ryden by the door. She resumed reading a fictional book titled A Knight’s Tale. He leaned forward tilting his head to see if she was okay. “Good story or bad one?” Ryden asked. While he couldn’t see from behind, Senya smirked, eyes focused on the pages.

“Good one. I like Sir Rowland so far. He’s a monster lover, but at the same time, he puts himself in the same status as the lower class. How would you say it? He cares.” Senya concluded. Ryden smirked. He decided to move closer, sitting on the edge of her desk. By his side, Ryden had his scabbard with his sword sealed inside. Senya sat the book down, turning to her brother. “What is it?” She raised an eyebrow. It’s shocking her sister didn’t suffer any harsher punishment embarrassing the old man, Ryden thought.

“You sure showed the old man alright. When I was your age, he wanted me to become a doctor. Here I am.” Ryden gestured outward, displaying his mercenary gear as Senya chuckled. “You really are interested in this stuff are you?” He genuinely asked which she replied with a nod.

“You said it yourself, the Red Wardens are an order that protects the known world from chaos. Father won’t like it, but I want to protect the innocent from vampires and demons. I want to make the world a better place.” She raised her voice, staring at Ryden, “I want to learn how I can become a better fighter outside the courtyard. There are so many things you can teach me.” She kept pressuring him he had to raise his hand to calm herself.

“Slow down, Senya. What I do isn’t just that, it’s also keeping yourself alive. It’s a dangerous business and I don’t want you to think it’s all about exploring the world and hunting monsters. To tell you the truth, I earn shit pay for contracts. Don’t think you’ll earn a decent wage from this line of work. Maybe something less dangerous like writing or teaching?”

“It doesn’t bother me, Ryden. I’m done with sewing and housekeeping. I know what I want to do.” The look in her eyes said it all, she was practically done with that lifestyle. The swordsmanship she demonstrated didn’t lie. Maybe, just to see what her sister can do. With a deep harsh Ryden nodded.

“Alright Senya, I understand. We’ll start next week and figure out where to go from there. But first, I think it’s important that you should train with a real weapon.” Senya’s eyes lit up, staring at her brother’s scabbard. He simply unlatched the thing, drawing his sword out of the way.

He presented it with two gloved hands, the golden guard shining while the gem glowed red. The blade was silver and long. She’s been wanting to hold it in her hands for gods know how long. Before she reached, Ryden raised his head. “Careful, don’t get cut by it. It’s the real deal and the old man gave it to me when he knew what trouble I was heading.” He finally trusted her to hold it, passing it so she can stare at the fine craftsmanship. Senya gazed upon the blade, touching the metal on her palms. She raised her head at Ryden. “Does it have a name?”

Ryden nodded, a hand on his chin, “Now, I don’t know the history behind it besides the fact this family passed it down for generations. The old man said it’s pretty sharp and doesn’t dull. They called it Dark Shard. If something dire happens to the family, I think you’re most suited for the sword.” He smiled causing Senya some joy in their talk. She simply nodded. “Thank you Ryden. I promise I’ll take care of it.” Senya exclaimed as Ryden laughed, shaking his head.

“Take care of it? I ain’t dying, it’s still mine. Gotta keep it for hunting. But, I’ll let you use it once in a while. I heard old Dad kept another sword like this in the Estate but he’s keeping his mouth shut.” They eventually embraced, talking about the tales he had in Redonia, meeting with a man named Winchester. They made their conversation last until it was time for Senya to sleep peacefully. Ryden closed the door gently, making a deep frown he didn't want anyone to see. Tomorrow morning was the day he left home to find another contract.

The smelly jar of hearty stew is passed over to Uloth. Loque silently hopes she won't just empty the entire thing, but is prepared in case she or any of the others inside the cabin are just that hungry.

Vincent ended up choosing the cabin that Hudson had entered, finding the man sitting in a chair inside across from Seriphine at a table. Henderson also chose the same room, requesting a newspaper from their succubus host. "Certainly. Its not often that one requests a newspaper, really. Mostly some of the upper ranked demons here in the Abyss. Lieutenants, generals, princes...Icons." she said, with a smile, as she held out her hand. A pink ball of flame erupted from it, which formed a neatly folded newspaper. It bore no large printed name, really, but did have the signature of the one that produced it. Mazgith, apparently the right hand of Taranoch himself. "There you are, sir. Do enjoy." said Cat, with a smile. Vincent, meanwhile, grabbed the seat next to Seriphine. He let his rifle rest against the table in front him. Within reach in case he needed to use it. His belongings, meanwhile, were set down next to his chair for easy access. And access them he did, drawing out the map as well as a bottle of premium whiskey that he had grabbed from the food crate Xager had brought.

Riberta and Aliana soon entered the same cabin as Senya and Inari, finding that Gwen and Anya had already ventured inside as well. It seemed that they were all preparing to rest, as Senya was taking a nap while Anya was already asleep nearby in another bed. Inari stripped basically naked before crawling into her own bed. She going to sleep naked? Riberta had certainly done it a few times, but never in enemy territory. There were three more unoccupied beds in the cabin, and Riberta walked over to one of them with Aliana. "You can sleep here. I don't need much sleep." she said, patting the bed as she gestured for Aliana to climb in. Riberta herself simply sat on the floor next to the bed, setting her things beside her and her claymore on the floor next to her leg.

Jakob soon entered the cabin that Riberta and Aliana had ventured into. Meanwhile, Wesley ventured into the second cabin with Uloth, Loque, Venextos, and Takato. And Gödrun, the strange woman they had met in the Field of Arms, remained on guard in the hallway. Cat eyed the woman for a moment, before shaking her head. There was always one or two that refused their services and decided to remain outside in the hallway, regardless as to how polite they were or honest. They bore no ill intent. They just kept passengers happy during their ride.

Soon enough, a man arrived in the hall where Gödrun and Cat were standing. Another demon, as clearly pointed out by his horns and his black and gold eyes. His skin was a mix of human color in some places, and obsidian black in others. His hair was medium length, and colored an off white. It matched the shirt of the suit he was wearing, which was formal but lacking the tie that usually went with such clothing. Instead, the upper buttons of his shirt were open, revealing the human colored flesh of his upper chest. As he arrived, he cut a look to Gödrun before looking to Cat. "New guests?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. Cat smiled and nodded. "Yes! Apparently the ones that Lady Tariun had mentioned before." she responded, motioning to each of the three doors. "Most excellent." he said, with a smile of his own.

Takato noted the rather silent one in black entering the second cabin, the nightwalker that came with Jakob, Wesley. The lad took a seat, and with that, there was five. Noting the fact that, aside from Uloth's eating, the cabin was rather quiet, Takato decided to try and break the ice, but he couldn't think of anything to say that could draw the cabin together in dialogue... well, except for one thing... they were bound to find out at some point... he couldn't just toss it out in conversation like that, he'd need to lead into it... ah!

"...for those not wishing to rest yet, do you wish to share stories?" Takato asked, making it clear that he's willing to share too.

Uloth wasn't greedy, she only took a little bit of stew off the top of the jar into the dish she had with a fork ready. She hands the 2/3rd's full jar back to Loque after wiping the lip of the jar so as to not drip anything on the floor of the room. Once she hands off the jar she eats the stew and... hesitates. It wasn't that it was bad, it was actually very good, but her diet usually just consisted of salted meat roasted on a fire with maybe some wild vegetables that were foraged.

She never really experienced a properly seasoned and cooked meal before in its entirely and her pace at eating subconsciously picks up as she starts to shovel the bit of stew she had into her mouth with the fork. She thoroughly enjoyed the meal and even went so far as to lick the dish clean once it was empty of the stew. She cleans up the dish properly with a rag and puts the mess kit back in order before nodding to herself, wiping her mouth clean with the same rag, "Aye, tha's good eatin'. I feel proper spoiled after eatin' tha'."

Loque's mood doesn't change, but hearing Uloth compliment her food's enough to lift her spirits just a little. Especially since she was the one who cooked it. "I made it myself, you know. And the recipe too." she says. "Finally, one of you appreciates me..."

Aliana follows Riberta into the room, disregarding much of the people already in it. It was pretty large inside, betraying what it looked like from the outside. This whole thing is strange, but at least there are beds. She's lead to one of the unoccupied ones with Riberta saying she can sleep here, and like an obedient puppy, she climbed onto the bed . The mattress was extremely comfortable, the sheets made from possibly the softest material she's ever felt.

She didn't know if she was tired or not, however, her overthinking causing her to stay awake. The pillow was comfortable, but it wasn't enough to call her to rest. It felt wrong with Riberta sitting on the floor, with Aliana feeling undeserving of a bed or rest. She turns on her side, looking at her.

The voices of the beast were starting to plague Aliana again, ruining her thoughts of sleep or peace with images of her parents being torn apart, or Riberta cutting into her throat with her sword. "You're better off dead." They said, "Make it easier for them and die now!" She could feel her body tensing up as a result.

Aliana could only sigh, bringing out the amulet from her pocket and looking at it. A smaller crack was starting to form, branching off from the main one. "How long do I have?" She thought, putting it away as she hugs her coat to her chest, burying her face into it. Whatever sleep she'll get, it must be earned.

Venextos politely declined Loque's cooking when offered, as he wasn't really fond of such types of food. He was feeling rather famished however and instead opted to bring some food from home. Some fine dining wouldn't hurt in these times. He set his staff aside as he sat in his bunk and twirled his hands around one another before bringing them together, and then apart: and from there appeared a fully formed Escarian charcuterie platter, with small utensils included. And from there, he began to enjoy his small meal by spreading a bit of the mustard on his bread and topping it with a few slices of the various meats and promptly taking a savory bite from it.

There's still a sizeable amount of beef stew in the jar since no one else but Uloth wanted a share of Loque's meat. More for her then, it seemed. Down it all went in her mouth as she started drinking from it as if it was a glass of water, letting out a barely audible burp once she was finished. With nothing else to do, and not bothering share any stories with the rest since she really didn't feel like bringing up her past right now, she resumed undressing to sleep. She might've been in a room with others and she was dressing down to her undergarments, but she knew in the back of her head none of them would want to stare.

Her thick callous skin was a dark pink, and has numerous white root-like veins running around the length of her body and her limbs. That's not all though, marring her body further were all sorts of scratches, burns, bruises, scars, and most commonly of all, bite marks all over. But at least, her figure was nice, just one would have to get over the massive, monumental hurdle that is her battered and bitten state. Finally, the armored helmet comes off. She made sure to turn away completely from the others before she did this, however. And before any of them could get a good look at her face past her messy black hair, she had sandwiched it between two pillows as she begins falling asleep for good.

It was not long before sleep took Hudson, though considering that he chose to remain in his hunting gear it would be rather difficult to tell. As he slept he made no sounds, breathing slow and nearly motionless as he drifted through the night, or whatever the Abyssal equivalent was.

---
Camille lay there on her back for but a few moments, knocked prone by some demon that had recently been turned to ash right before her eyes. The village square was obscured by lazily drifting hazes of mist, the only witnesses to the spectacle taking place being the flickering lamplight and the stone buildings that surrounded them. Her savior was a man clad in heavy leather and chains, and just a few meters away she could make out his silhouette against the near-blank backdrop of the rolling vapors. With little hesitation and only a slight amount of sputtering to rid her face of the ash that clung to it, she took up arms and grabbed her rapier from the ground, the thin blade singing as it scraped against the cobblestone while she frantically stood to her feet. Out from the bandoleer on her thigh she produced a thin, silver needle-like dagger that she flipped in her hand to point downward. Immediately she took up a combative stance, pointing her blade at the man to show that she was on guard and vigilant.

Hudson had been taking the time to slowly wrap his chain back around his waist, only paying the slightest amount of attention to the huntress that was apparently threatened by his presence. Once finished he looked up to her, expression one of curiosity but utterly concealed by his helmet.

"Who are you?" Camille called out, teeth grit as she slowly advanced on him. "Come to finish what that creature started?"

The hunter was silent at first, observing her priming herself to attack him just as he saved her life. It was an odd reaction so he didn't know what to say at first. "You're that Raven woman, aren't you?"

"The very same. Camille Giguere. Now answer my question." she said, her patience obviously thinning.

"Hudson. I'm a hunter from the Order of Velin, and I'm not here to kill you." he replied, accent clear yet only slightly muddied by his sleepy tone.

"Non? Instead Velin has sent some fanatic to make a fool of me? The ever-caring goddess ready to teach me humility or show my insignificance?"

"What? No, I was pursuing that demon after I -"

"So rather than let me complete the kill you show up to rescue me as if I am some helpless damsel! Do you get some sort of thrill out of that?" Camille interrupted, tightening her grip on her rapier as she stopped just shy of the hunter.

"Look lady, from what I saw you were just a half-second from getting your throat torn out. I'm not going to let someone die just because they're after something as stupid as glory."

"I've recovered from worse situations!" she defended, now pointing her rapier at the man's throat as it directed its point ever closer to him.

Hudson simply touched his index and middle finger to the blade, gently lowering the rapier so that it pointed to the ground as he looked her in the eye. "I'm sure you have. You're welcome, by the way." he said, turning around slowly to begin his trek back. After moving several paces away he spoke up once again. "My advice for you is to learn some manners - and stick to slaying vampires and leave the demon hunting to the more experienced." There was no response at first, save for the whizzing of an object that was just inches from grazing his head. The silver quill stuck into a nearby wall, sticking out like a dart on a board as it sunk into the wood ahead of him. Quickly Hudson turned about to see his assailant, a rather angry Escarian woman tossing another dagger in her off-hand.

"Draw your weapon." Camille ordered, catching her quill again as she took up the same stance from before.

"You're joking." the hunter replied.

"Far from it. That first throw was a deliberate miss. My aim is far better than you'd believe mon ami." she explained. "You will not get away with insulting my honor so brazenly."

Stunned once again, he was not sure what to say. He's met his fair share of fanatics and passionate fighters, hailing from the Order of Velin to even his days in the Atracan army. Yet something was different about this woman, crazy as she seemed to be. Perhaps he could have walked away from that encounter, but something in him told him to humor her just this once. There was little that he hadn't seen or experienced at this point, perhaps such a unique situation was exciting to the hunter. Without further delay he slowly unsheathed his bastard sword, the grip held tightly in both hands before he flourished it.

He drove the handle of the sword back he leveled the blade to the plane of the ground, the weapon flat as it rested against his left arm that curled slightly to hold on to the hilt. The stance prompted a smirk on the huntress' lips, and she quickly leaped into action. A wayward thrust was her opening to determine just how he fought, and predictably Hudson transitioned from his key stance to drive his sword against hers for a parry. As the blades clashed for but a second she twisted in an attempt to disarm him, but he was far better trained than she suspected, holding on to his weapon with a vice grip while he chambered the attempt. A lateral slash came from her next, to which he twisted his blade at a downward angle so that the rapier raked against the flat of his bastard sword harmlessly.

Realizing the caliber of swordsman she was dealing with now, Camille began to change up her attacks as she transitioned between stabbing strikes and visceral slashes. Hudson kept his center, constantly parrying and chambering whatever she threw his way. The Escarian marquess sneered, finding his lack of counterattacks to be him simply toying with her as she took a quick step back to move out of the range of his weapon. Once again Hudson took up his key stance, moving in slowly as she narrowed her eyes. Like a gust of wind she moved inward, stabbing forward with her dagger as she tried to breach his defenses. This finally prompted a sidestep from the man, and he aimed a stab directly at her chest. Prepared for it, the huntress slashed it away with her rapier before attempting another strike with her dagger. Hudson caught her by the wrist, flipping his sword over as he struck its pommel into her side and let her go.

Grunting in pain, she quickly found her footing as a fire burned in her eyes. Aiming to take advantage of his stunning blow, Hudson began to lay into her with a series of wide arcs and slashes. Camille proved her agility to be superior as she weaved around the sword's path of attack, eyes darting about as she looked for an opening. His latest slash left his stomach wide open for a fatal strike, and she threw her rapier out to connect. Hudson had barely any time to react, and instincts forced him to wince and try to step back to avoid the thin blade from stabbing into his innards. She smirked, stopping the blade short yet going low as she swept his leg out from under him, his balance already put into question from the hapless reaction to what would have been a fatal strike.

The hunter tripped and fell down onto his back, grunting as he impacting the slick stone road as he scrambled to get up. Once again he was greeted with a rapier pointed to his neck, prompting a tired sigh out of him as he limply laid himself back down.

"I have yet to lose a fight to man or beast, and I do intend to keep it that way." Camille said simply, smirk still holding.

"Yeah? And you typically fight to the death right? What stopped you from killing me?" he asked, legitimately curious even if he cared not for his own well-being.

"You saved my life. Would be an awful end for a savior, oui?"

Hudson could only blink, utterly flabbergasted yet again. "... Right." he muttered, unable to think of anything else to say.

"I could easily change that, if you prefer. You were awfully rude to me moments ago." Camille chided, spinning the rapier's point slightly for emphasis.

"... Frankly I really don't care if you do or not."

"For such a morose man you are quite the fighter, really. Perhaps a proposition is in order..." she said, twisting her mouth about in thought. "Teach me how to fight demons, and I could teach you how to feel less sorry for yourself." Camille finally sheathed her weapon, instead extending a hand in its place as she offered to assist him in getting up on his feet.

Hudson said nothing, just staring at her hand before looking up to her. Without further hesitation he clasped his palm together with hers.

It was in this moment that Takato realized people would rather eat or sleep than speak - a fair enough thing, but he neither felt peckish for haze nor did he wish to sleep, at least not before his pre-sleep chanting. Venextos was enjoying a meal, Uloth and Loque having eaten, the latter just finished dressed down for sleep, and Wesley was still relaxing silently. The hermit sighed.

Takato scooted closer to Venextos, as so the others didn't hear him ask what he was about to ask: "...Sir Venextos, pray tell, if it isn't bothersome; what is a succubus?"

Vincnet clearly had his own priorities, Henderson had his. Namely trying to enjoy the ride while he can. No doubt they will face some horrid creatures down the road, but until then he would rest. The newspaper offered some insight into what was going on in the day to day life in the Abyss. At least for the upper class of demonhood.

WAR WITH DEAD CONTINUES TO DRAW LORDS ATTENTION, VICTORY ONLY MATTER OF TIME

TZTCHTZTCH PREDICTS NEXT SHIFT IN 3 MONTHS, RIVAL CALLS HIM FOOL AND REMARKS ON POOR POSTURE INDICATING DIMINISHING INTELLECT.

HARVEST SEASON TO BEGIN SOON. GLUTTONY DENIZENS LOOKING FORWARD TO FESTIVITIES. EVERYONE ELSE, NOT SO MUCH.

Some choice headlines from the first few pages. Even here, the press had a flair for sensationalism, but it made made sense when he thought about it. This was basically a propaganda outlet meant for the elite to read and regurgitate during meetings and such. Of course it would be all fluff and no substance. Still, it makes for an entertaining read to see how the authors spin contradictory paragraphs, strung together by vague 'facts'.

Further reading reveals more to it. Special columns written by the Icons themselves. Well most of them anyway. Sloth lived up to his name and had nothing to provide. Wrath's entire text was written in upper case and in red ink as if the text was screaming. Envy was very accusatory of the reader possessing something that she wanted. Now what could that be? Greed was practically the same, minus the accusations. She just wanted something. Gluttony was no better. It was written like an invitation to indulge oneself in every way possible. Pride was a list of reasons why he was better than the reader. Lust was exactly what he expected. Better slip this to the elf so she can get some out of her system. Or maybe that would make it worse? Vainglory was an insipid diatribe that wasn't even worth the ink used. Henderson had forgotten what it was as soon as he was done.

He flipped over the next page to see horoscope predictions. Turns out they were more instructions on how to torture those born under that sign for that day. He wondered what the sunday edition of this looked like before continuing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back