• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Hunter's Moon: The Sin & Sentence [IC] [CLOSED]

For the past few months Theodore had moved on from trying to find the reason for his wife's condition to now fully studying everything they had on the demon Lozon, the wraiths and shades. Royland was not exaggerating when he described the creature. One of the old legends of the past, possible basis for some of the more prominent literature characters from certain storybooks. But as time moved on, his name languished in obscurity, but it seemed that the gods didn't forget his deeds. The knight had spared them the details, but the scholars at the time didn't shy away to ascribe the heavy use of the bloody eagle, the pear, the brazen bull and exposure. All part of his revenge.

Royland had apparently taken the time to write down what he knew or at least dictated it to someone who did regarding wraiths. The best possibly light shown on them is to describe them as spirits of vengeance. They were sinners as described. Each of them had done something to earn them a place in the Abyss, but a key part is that each one has a certain fury in their soul. Some deep rooted hatred for something or someone that keeps their raging spirit anchored. For Royland it was an easy guess. Necromancy. Their purpose in the Abyss was already explained by the knight, but he didn't divulge why some roam the Mortal realm. This has led to some theories among demonologists. One suggests that they materialize through their own will back among the living in order to extract their revenge, others suggest that their souls finally burn out from the centuries in the Abyss and come back in a suicidal charge to end their existence. The first would explain Royland and the few others who's activities have been found so far, while the second might explain the ones that Hudson had encountered throughout his career.

Theodore was writing down some notes when Vincent dropped the paperwork in front of him to grab his attention. The scholar flipped his notebook and began to jot down every point of interest the inquisitor said. Regarding the sword and ring, it wasn't anything new exactly, but he had hoped there was something new somewhere. The fact that part of the archive was destroyed disturbed on a professional level him. Vincent's theory was a sound one however. They didn't have much to go with, but maybe they could change that.

"I believe I can be of some assistance for the archives here. Help you dig through all of this." He briefly glanced to Undite before turning back to him "Gods know I've had my head in the demonology books long enough." he joked "I also happen to know a few experts in non-human history. They can probably help." Thinking for a few more seconds, he thought of someone else that might be of use "Ser Royland has been around a very long time, he might know more or at least know how to narrow the searching."

"Ser Royland has been around a very long time, he might know more or at least know how to narrow the searching."

Undite spoke up behind him, her head moving between them as she looked to them. "You could also try Rebecca. She was alive then, and participated in the binding. She'd at least know what the objects were, and could describe what they looked like." Both she and Vincent had forgotten about the Living Saint, as she had been preocupied with new Inquisitorial recruits. They had seen little of her in the past few months as well. Royland and Rebecca were both safe bets on how to acquire the needed information.

Vincent nodded rapidly. "I'll locate Rebecca, and bring her here. We should set up a portion of the Archive purely for research into the artifacts. After I fetch Rebecca, I'll gather some of the tables and chairs. Anything you find with any sort of mention of the artifacts, we bring it to the tables and pour over them."

Undite smiled. "You each have my blessing to use any means at your disposal to discover where the artifacts were hidden. If you should require anything, don't hesistate to come and speak to me." she said, before turning about and moving towards the entrance to the Archive. Vincent soon followed behind her, almost marching out to locate the living saint on the Cathedral grounds.

It wasn't long before he returned, followed by the clacking of Rebecca walking across the stone floor in her suit of armor. "I am needed, I hear? Pray tell, how might I be of assistance?" she said, as Vincent began to drag some of the long wooden tables and chairs over to an area by themselves. "You were alive in the Age of Darkness, and fought the Icons and their minions. You used the artifacts to bind them as well as Taranoch to the Abyss. We need information on the artifacts themselves." he said, managing to get it all out as he moved the furniture. "What they were. What they looked like. And if you have any idea what was done with them, or if anything was said about what the Church planned to do with them after their use."

Rebecca nodded. "Understood...The artifacts consisted of Velin's Executioner Sword, Lord Adona's Ring, Lady Undite's Staff, Lord Gyasis' Amulet, and Lord Thiasis's Gauntlets. Each were used by a Templar of the Vigilant Order to bind the Demons to their home in the Abyss, as thou knoweth. The Church, prior to the commencement of our duties, stated that the artifacts would return to their previous resting places, forever to remain undisturbed by mortal or supernatural hands. Obviously...this was not the case." she said. She glanced over as she felt an aura approach. "Ah, greetings Ser Royland. Come to assist the Inquisitors with their work on locating the divine artifacts as well?" she asked, giving the knight a smile.

------
Elsewhere...

The Red Masque Theatre & Opera House
Cololimar
Escaria

Adonia

"[He's simply a marvelous singer, you know. Exceptional range. You'll enjoy every minute.]" spoke the well-dressed man, standing next to a couple eyeing a large poster marking the side of the entrance to the grand theatre. Performing that night was the wonderous Jean-Claude Delafosse, renowned singer, dancer, and actor. He'd be performing in one of the legendary plays of playwrite Rodolphe Barthélemy, a local whom rose to fame only one hundred and fifty years prior.

It was also a moment of celebration for vampires, as this would be the first time that the theatre would be hosting vampiric actors and actresses openly. A gesture of peace and good will to their human counterparts. The idea, conjured up by the Polidori leadership. A quaint idea, thought Raymond Vaillancourt. He run his hand through his long, slicked back blonde hair, making sure that there wasn't a single strand out of place. The couple he had been talking to moved away, heading into the theatre as he gave them a wave. Raymond himself was not of the Polidori. Instead, he was of House Ruthven. Ruthven saw this gesture a bit differently, but still approved of it. Their views were more of the kind that believed humanity should keep their nose out of vampire affairs. And this was to just make humans think vampires were noble and kept their word on things. Just like humanity, vampires always had things going on behind the scenes...under the cover of darkness, so to speak.

He looked back at the poster once more, eyeing the young man painted upon it. He had a more personal interest in things, mainly to see his long time friend perform once more. Even if they were of separate houses, they were still close. As he stood there silently, smiling at the likeness of Jean-Claude, he heard a voice speak up next to him. One ever so familiar.

"Why is it that every time we meet, it is always here? Do you not visit other locations around the city?" they asked. Raymond glanced over, and found himself locking eyes with the one and only Cassandra Bainbridge. "Cassandra...I heard that you were dead." he remarked, turning his head to look at her.

Cassandra smirked. "Mere rumors, Raymond. As you can see...I'm very much alive." she replied. Raymond smiled himself. "Indeed."

He then turned about, fully facing her. "...I love the theatre, and I love opera. Both are performed here. It's only natural that I find myself drawn here." he explained, before motioning towards her with a finger. "...A better question would be why you continue to dress as an Inquisitor when you are certainly not one." Cassandra shrugged. "...I blend in well. Doubles as a disguise."

Raymond eventually nodded, before folding his arms. "And the final question....why are you here?" he asked. She smiled. "I have a few questions for you, Raymond. Regarding one Pierre Aliker." Raymond cocked an eyebrow. "...That snake? Why would you wish to know about him?"

Cassandra tilted her head. "...He slew a friend of mine's wife, and trapped her soul in the Abyss. Killing him sets her free. I've been hunting him for the past three months, and his trail has finally lead to you." Raymond nodded, eventually smiling. "...Alright. what do you want to know about him?" he replied. Cassandra raise her hand from beneath her cloak. Holding up three fingers. As she listed off her questions, she lowered a finger for each. "One: What does he look like? The files I found have no photographs. Two: who is his alchemical contact? The man has skills. Skills only an alchemist could teach. I'd like to know who taught him and where he gets his supplies. And three: where is he? Rumor is he might have fled to Nocturne...Is it true?"

Raymond chuckled. "Alright, since I owe you several times over for your work..." he responded, before slipping his hands in his suit pockets. Raymond gave a brief discription, listing Pierre as a man of five feet and nine inches. He wore rounded glasses, and had short hair with the sides shaved down. He bore a moustache and short goatee, only covering the area around his mouth and chin while the rest of his face was clean shaven. "His alchemical contact? Likely a rogue alchemist. I heard him mention a man by the name of Mattias Desmet. Perhaps that might be him. From what I understand, Mattias currently resides in the old clocktower in the plaza east of here. As for your final question...I'm afraid only Mattias would know. The only thing I assisted him with was new passports and IDs."

Cassandra nodded. "...Thank you, Raymond. At least you're more up front than the rest of the lot I've had to go through." she stated, to which he smirked. "You can kill me in half a heartbeat." he replied. She smirked as well, before turning to depart. She then froze and looked back when Raymond spoke again.

"Oh, by the way...I figure you might want this." he said, before holding up a photograph. Cassandra gazed at the photograph for a moment, eyeing the man in it. A soldier, dressed in Daristeinian military garb. "...Who is it?" she asked, looking from it to Raymond. He smiled. "...He's your sister's descendant. This one's on me."

Cassandra's eyes went wide, as she quickly snatched the picture out of Raymond's hand. And on the back, a name. Benedict Keilberth.

------
Elsewhere...

Red Gorge
Atraca
Adonia

Rosanna leaned back in the chair she was sitting in, resting her boots on a nearby chair as she read over the newspaper in her hands. Something was going on in the political world, it seemed. Border violence between Tsavania and its neighbors. Common, but it had never hit this level of bloodshed. Almost a whole platoon of Daristeinian soldiers dead, along with two platoons of Tsavanian troops. Some of the Daristeinian Survivors stated that it was an unprovoked attack, and it was. Tsavania passed it off as some of their more undisciplined and overzealous troops disobeying orders to remain where they were. Hot blooded soldiers looking for some kind of action, regardless as to who the target was.

But on the Atracan-Tsavanian border, tensions were rising high and higher with each passing week. Both sides coming into conflict with one another at several points along the border in the highlands. And these were no accidents. It seemed the previous war had only left the two empires with a seething hatred and taste for the other's blood. And the survivors of the war already were calling for another one. It didn't seem like it'd be long before yet another Atracan-Tsavanian war broke out.

It didn't help that Escaria was also itching for some action, as violence was starting to errupt on their own border with Tsavania. And that was pushing Daristein to play politics with Escaria. Rosanna didn't like where this was going. No one did. Especially not here in Red Gorge, so soon after the Summit's end.

Nocturne had recieved the recognition it wanted, but Atraca was still playing political games with the small island nation. Escaria was more focused on making its vampiric state flourish to provide an alternative to Nocturne. It was a hell of a time to be involved in supernatural politics, especially with the idea of impending war on the horizon. And things weren't happy to the south either. A possible civil war was brewing in Eshax, and border disputes were occuring there with the nations to its south and east.

Eventually, she set the newspaper aside. Rubbing the bridge of her nose between her eyes, she finally sat forward and took a drink from the bottle of whiskey next to her. It was going to be one hell of a year.

Last edited:
Hudson had spent the past three months making several trips between Eternis and Escaria, having split himself to assist on all fronts of the case involving Pierre as well as check back in to observe the hunt for the artifacts. At the very least the hunt for the vampire was being conducted by both himself and Camille, the two getting to spend quality time together as they skulk the streets of Escaria and knock on the doors of various contacts. Given that the huntress hadn't burned her relationship with La Cygne and was openly against the purges they had many options of who to speak to for leads, however that didn't necessarily mean that every vampire was happy to have a discussion with her. After all her ruthless reputation for hunting down vampires that made a name for themselves across the country was both a blessing and a curse, so most of her information gathering had to take place with eavesdropping through some form or another. Despite such hang-ups she was gradually narrowing things down, though at this point she was more than certain the bastard vampire had retreated to Nocturne.

By the time they were gathered to ask Rebecca and Royland their questions Hudson was present in the archive, assisting with gathering up tables and chairs so they could compile all of the information necessary. The hunter nodded along as the saint listed the artifacts, the fact that she was able to name the previously unaccounted for artifact was a good sign at least. "Have any regions to tie them to? Remember any of their specific hiding places or anything like that?" he asks, trying to get to the crux of the matter entirely. Pouring through many tomes and maps wasn't his favorite part of the job, so he was looking to get this over with.

Standing at ease and listening to Tariun explain her new assignment, Mariette kept a serious expression, one born of nearly three years of constant effort, accompanied by the reality that the war had still not fully commenced. Despite this, she cracked the slightest smirk upon learning that Sazak was now counting Kellea as one of his lieutenants. By the sound of things, Taranoch had just robbed Sazak of an asset for which he couldn't find a proper replacement.

The war was changing her, and not just in the obvious ways. In two more abyssal years, Mariette would be two centuries old, and in that span she had lived five lives: she had been a tragic Escarian princess, a witch and a parasite who destroyed her own family, a vintner of world renown seeking nobility through actions instead of blood, and a vain, fraudulent pureblood who subverted everything she once stood for- and was rightfully banished to the abyss to atone for it. No more did she purse her lips and look down on others, as she had when she was a noble. No more did she revel in the act of violence, no matter how justified, as she had when it was novel. No more did she consider herself the center of the world's happenings, and no more did she carry herself as if it were true- as vainglory's dominion was wont to do.

Now, she lived her fifth life. Her world had grown so much larger since her days at La Cygne, and in turn, her own role in it had shrunk. All her impatience, her personal drive to will the destruction of Taranoch's regime, had been replaced by a far more stable determination. Victory, if it would come, would come at its own pace, and it would be achieved through the acts of thousands, or maybe even millions, and would be orchestrated by far greater and more capable individuals. She trusted Tariun, Xager, and Azathor to lead her to wherever she could best be used, and she trusted them to protect her from the terrible forces arrayed against them. She had no choice but to trust them, as this was their war first. But she chose to trust them anyway.

A world away, her love, her raison d'être, still sent her daily correspondences, but it was becoming more difficult for Mariette to feel as if they were contemporary. It was agonizing, feeling as if each new letter was merely a page in a journal from sometime years prior, which only revealed its new entries to her every ten days or so. It was mildly alleviated by Cassandra's commentary on Mariette's actions, which she recounted in her own very long and detailed letters every other month. Someday, Mariette would live a sixth life with her, which she hoped, and pleaded, would be her last. One of permanence and peaceful rest for a soul tested scornfully five times prior.

But that was many years away, and so Mariette remained focused on the moment at hand. Tariun was raising her status within her forces. While Azathor was still her superior, Mariette had finally done enough to be elevated to lieutenant status. It had been a long road, especially as the war began to intensify. Mariette had been a mere scout, but had moved on to participating in direct attacks on the enemy's supply lines in the lands of Wrath and Greed, prolonging the anarchy there. As a witch, she was a dual-edged sword and had to be used carefully by her superiors. While she was the best defense against enemy mages, her presence would attract them as the opposite was also true. The fact that Sazak had placed a special bounty on her head also encouraged this, but time and distance had rendered the notion mostly irrelevant to enemy planners.

"Excellent," she replied. Xager would be assisting her in taking the next step with her powers. From the very beginning, Tariun had shown Mariette favor by choosing to have these sorts of meetings in person, rather than simply sending messengers. Perhaps it was her past which granted her this interest, or maybe Tariun recognized even greater potential within her. Again, Mariette left it to trust, and did not demand an explanation. Time would reveal the truth to her, she was certain. "I'm sure that Leakhena, someone who so reveres Kaizen and the true order of things, will be eager to work with you, madame."

---
"So, Tsavania or Escaria?"

"...Are we really doing this again?" Sebastian replied to Connor as the two sat beside the fire. A few of the other soldiers chuckled as they waited for their food to finish heating in the cookpot. He took a long drag off his cigarette and then tossed the butt into the flames. "I swear, it's all you talk about," he complained as the smoke rose with his breath, "day in and day out. What's the use in worrying about it? If it's Tsavania, we're far away from the action. If it's Escaria, well, it's Escaria. We'll crush them."

There was a round of approval among the troops, all fresh faces who had recently been called to action. Daristein had mobilized its forces in response to increased tensions and random attacks along its border and those of its neighbors, although the exact plan of the High Command was unknown. Sebastian Ackermann, the son of a Daristeinian businessman and a Tsavanian woman he met on a business trip, joined the army as a means to escape from his father's abuse, which had chased his mother away already and left him alone and unhappy throughout his teenage years. While he hated his father, he loved his fatherland: a place without kings or queens, but men and women of strength and unity who could create their own future.

And so he was determined: Sebastian would serve a tour of duty and become a true Daristeinian man. He would return with the skills and the knowledge to lead a proper life, build a household with a good woman, and raise children of his own in a loving and safe home. Somewhere out there, his mother was living her own life in Tsavania, wondering when her dark-haired, blue-eyed, and chubby-cheeked son would resurface in her life, and Sebastian knew that when he did, he will have grown into an exemplary father, beyond her expectations, and she would be unafraid to return to Daristein and meet her wonderful grandchildren.

Yes, Sebastian had figured out all of life's important questions at the age of nineteen, or at least he assured himself as such as he took out another cigarette and lit it on the campfire. In truth, he had made some progress. Training camp had whipped him into the best shape of his life, and he didn't startle easily. His drill instructors admired his ability to stand unshaken as they screamed at him, unaware of the true reason for his resilience. He had been placed in leadership roles during war games and had done an adequate job, and he was well-liked by his peers.

The only problem, as they sat under the stars and wondered when and where the war would begin, was that Sebastian had never taken a life before. If his station required him now to attack the Escarians, and "crush them" as he so assured his comrades, would he be able to? The army had done their best to make a soldier out of him, and he even reasoned with himself that he would be ready when the time came, thanks to their instruction, but deep down, he wasn't sure. The purges, which had swept through his town at one point two years prior, hadn't just been a disgrace, it had utterly revolted him. The image of a werewolf woman, tied to a flagstaff and slumped in death, blood trickling from her neck, had been burned into his young mind.

Perhaps she had been a monster that had devoured children. He didn't know. Did it matter? To what extent can death be violent before it loses the justice that inspired it?

And if Sebastian felt pity for a werewolf, how would he feel about killing a human like himself? You were still ein Junge. That was before. This is now, he assured himself. He glanced over at the rifles stacked in a circle, their barrels pointed skyward. Any moment, a shot might ring out in the distance, alerting them of trouble. A whistle might blow. A rider might arrive with a telegram. He would be forced to take up his weapon and do as he was trained. You will be strong, Sebastian. Für Mutti.

Theodore felt dumfounded as he completely overlooked the living saint in what advice she could give. Thankfully Undite foresaw the need. Soon enough she was there to provide assistance. Royland following close behind.

Ah, greetings Ser Royland. Come to assist the Inquisitors with their work on locating the divine artifacts as well?
"Among other things." The knight answered as he walked in. He bowed as he was in the presence of a saint before doing anything else. He turned his head towards Theodore next "You own work has kept you busy, so I'll deliver the news personally. Inquisitor Reed has performed her duties well and now Ludwig along with fifteen other oh his ilk hang by the gallows. Congratulations are in order, Theodore. The Church owes you its gratitude." The last part sounded almost mechanical as if he really didn't have any will to say it. The scholar thought better to not draw attention to it.

"I just did what I knew was right." he tried to be humble "But looks like I'm far from done by the looks of it." He pointed towards the stacks of documents that Vincent had gathered and let Hudson ask his questions.

"I'm afraid I can only say what I know, good hunter." Royland looked over the documents and maps. Noting the points of interest marked on them. "Your hunches so far are correct. I don't know specifics, but those regions are where the items were taken. At the time I was too...preoccupied to take part in hiding them." turning his head to Rebecca he asked "Don't suppose Sariel would know anything?"
---
Somewhere in the Abyss

"You see them?" Constantine looked through the scope of his rifle. A nice little addition to his arsenal courtesy of the resistance. He didn't think he'd need something like that given his own skills, but soon found that putting down demons from a distance before engaging them up close was a smarter way to work. It also came with the benefit of allowing him to gouge if a fight was winnable or not.

"I see a small escort, but not what they're escorting." Tiloc answered him. She stood upright to look over the ridge with hands resting on her hips. "I sense something stirring in that carriage." She took a second to close her eyes and exhaled "Something big. Angry. Something wrathful."

"Tell the boys to get ready?"
Constantine didn't tare his eyes off the cart. For the past two years, they've been helping with small raids and strikes on enemy forces. Disrupting supply lines and making life for the loyalists difficult. The gambler was rather amused that their actions had gained them a few demon friends that wanted in on the action. Forming a posse of rebels that are itching for a bit more action. They've been running around for days now, avoiding fights too big for them. The boredom was starting to get to some, but this bunch looked just the right size for a thrashing. A few wrath demons, a few pride ones and what appeared to be a greed type escorting a prison cart. About time they did a recruitment drive.

"Lets." Tiloc clapped her hands while a jagged smile formed on her face. "I'll tell the succubus to prioritize the others before me. She's new to how we do things." She turned around and started walking down the path they had come.

After a few minutes the escort was within striking distance. Constantine was resting his rifle on a rock and was waiting for the rest to move into position. He spotted them moving around the large rocks along the road. Once he saw Tiloc looking in his direction, he waited a few more seconds. She lifted her hand in the air and brought it down. He nudged slightly to the left and had one ugly wrath demon's face in his sights. No hesitation in taking that shot. The bullet ripped through the demon's helmet and sprayed blood, brain and bone behind him.

That gave Tiloc an opening she needed. The initial shock of the wrath demon's death made the others hesitate when she jumped out from behind the rock. With a motion and incantations she took control of the spilled blood and began to rip it out of the corpse. "AMBUSH!" they finally figure it out, but it was too late. Another shot rang out and pierced the cart driver, forcing him to fall off. The blood had now formed around the priestess. With a motion of her arm she send if forward towards the panicked beasts pulling the carriage, killing them as it cut through their flesh. Now the rest could join the fun.

She grinned as two pride demons moved to engage her. "Two of you for me? My, I'm flattered." She taunted. As the battle began to unfold, she moved to dodge the slashes coming her direction. Several of them were too close for comfort. Cutting some of her hair and clothes. One slash managing to cut her shoulder. The demon sneered only to be met with a smile from her. "Like what you see?" She moved her other arm in an exaggerated motion and the blood that was oozing from her wound shot out like a spike straight into his eyes. The creature of pride began to hold his face and scream in agony, forcing the other one to give pause. Mistake. Tiloc capitalized on it by running forwards and jumping on top of him. Her form was deceitfully small as the demon found out. Her weight forcing him to stumble backwards and fall on his back. The other thing he found out was that those teeth we not for show as she began to bite chunks out of his throat. The screams quickly turned to gurgling noises.

Tiloc's terrifying display was interrupted by the sound of gunshots. She lifted her head to see a wrath demon. that was standing over her. was now stumbling backwards and dropping his sword. Looking over her shoulder she noticed that Constantine had joined the fight in a more personal matter. As personal as he could get with that revolver. But it didn't matter. Their group had already won this. The last of the enemy were already dead or trying to escape.

"Good work." He called out to their posse "Take anything of use from them and we'll get the hell out of here." He looked at Tiloc for a second "Go get patched up."

"I'm fine, vulture."
She scoffed

"Now!" Tiloc rolled her eyes and went over to the succubus. Constantine on the other hand looked to the carriage. The priestess was right. Something inside was really pissed, but it was very familiar in it's anger. With a quick pace, he walked to the carriage and aimed at the lock "You inside, stand back." a few shots were needed but he broke the lock and opened the door. Stepping back, he he had to look up to see the eyes of what emerged from inside. The fact that the hands were tied together didn't do much to reduce the intimidating size "Boris. Been a while!"

"Hello Constantine."
The large tsavarian wraith spoke in an agitated tone and lifted his tied arms up "Untie me and I'll forgive you for not leaving any of these suki for me to kill."

"I think I can do you one better."
the gambler smiled as he took out a knife to help his colleague.
---
A week later at the rebel base in the Northern wastes

"If you can bring me some more of that cerberian liver, I can make a potent poison. Turns glutinous saliva into acid and melts their insides." Colette spoke to the quartermaster. Ever since she joined the rebellion she'd been busy with her work, almost becoming consumed with it. The assassins, saboteurs and even the frontline troops had been stopping by with requests and ideas on what she could cook up for them. Sometimes they made it easy, bringing in something she could work with. Other times, like now, they forced her to seek out what she needed through other means.

The quartermaster was a peculiar demon. She couldn't quite make out what type they were, but they always seemed to have what she needed on hand or knew how to get their hands on it. This time she was luck as the boney hands reached into the coat and fished out a jar of some kind. As always, she paid for the item before taking it. A nod and a smile for goodbye and she left to go back to the alchemy labs. Far from being the promises of the Escarian university of natural philosophy, but much better than whatever wilderness the Abyss offered.

As many other times, she was so engrossed with her work, that she didn't notice that the wraiths had returned from their latest excursion.

"Little bird, we're back!" Tiloc greeted her "Please tell me you have my wine ready, I am parched."

"On the table, next to the red bottles." She didn't even lift her head from the process. Not that it stopped Tiloc anyway. The priestess had grown accustomed to mark every successful return with the concoction that woke her from her sleep just a couple of years prior. Her reasoning being the dangerous nature of their tasks calls for a celebration every time they come back safe.

"She's going to drink herself under the table again." Constantine sighed as he saw how greedily poured herself a cup of the blood wine. Colette noticed that he was carrying a bag with him "Give me a call when she does so I can drag her out of here. Got a new recruits to show around."

"One of ours?"

"Yep. Managed to find a splinter group of wraiths."

"Vulture and I freed one of our brothers and he led us to a group of renegade wraiths."
Tiloc came over with the wine "Seems that while Lozon is still a loyalist, our kin are not too keen on it. More and more are breaking off from him." She dried up her cup in one gulp and nearly belched "Oh that's strong. What did you do with it this time?"

"You know Sinbad? The sea wraith." Colette stopped what she was doing to point at a crate of spices near the table "He took some initiative in Gluttony and raided a storehouse. He thought he made off with something important, but it was just spices."

"Dumbass."

"Ahh, don't be so mean, vulture!"
Tiloc admonished him before pouring herself another cup "The boy wanted to do good and made a mistake."

"Anyway, can you two give me some peace?" Colette wasn't going to let them start arguing now. She could see Constantine back down from whatever he was preparing to respond with. The priestess merely shrugged and made her way out of the lab with the bottle in hand. The gambler placed the bag on the table and tipped his hat before leaving. The alchemist knew what it was. He had been good with keeping an eye out for herbs and ingredients while on treks. Looking over what he brought, she made a note on what to prepare for his 'posse' as he called them.

While the processes were taking their time, she wondered just how much were they contributing to the effort. They were doing good with their own initiatives, but were they making a dent in the war machine they faced? Such thoughts carried the risk of discouragement to keep pursuing this path, but she couldn't help but ask herself just how much were they doing?

Colette sighed. What was she doing exactly? She already made this choice and there was no going back now. Second guessing would achieve nothing. She needed to smoke to get her mind off of this.

Last edited:
Town of Bathalom.
The Abyss, Land of Gluttony.
Choosing a place to make her "headquarters" wasn't an easy decision for Leakhena to make, seeing as she believed settling down somewhere would just make her a sitting duck for Thorgran. She'd rather prefer to keep moving from village to village, town to town, barnhouse to barnhouse to make it harder for Thorgran's men to track her down. Though at the behest of some of her followers and from some advisement from Zebulon, she ended up having to choose a location, and couldn't think of a more suitable place than Bathalom; the location of their first major strike against Thorgran. It's just insignificant and remote enough that should there be any order from Tehom to storm the place, they could see the marching boots coming for them from a long way. Leakhena wasn't happy, but at the very least, she's got the entire town armed and ready in case they do come for her.

Surrounding the town were a variety of traps, most of which were built by former hunters and farmers, hidden to keep patrolling scouts away from there. Pits of spikes made from branches and metal were places underneath sheets of old leaves and twigs, wires which would trigger piles of rocks and broken glass to rain down on whomever set it off, and even a few mines that were brought to them by Leakhena's deal with the church lay hidden underneath the dirt. Meanwhile the roads into the town were overlooked by sharpshooters hiding in trees, and if they could afford to build them, little checkpoints here and there. Though perhaps the biggest change of all was done to the city proper. With this now being the base of operations for Leakhena's rebellion, or her 'agricultural movement' as it was referred to, a majority of the architecture was completely renovated to look a little more modern than anything. It had to be renovated and repaired anyway, seeing as their battle years ago had damaged most of the structures around the public square.

And as the years went by, it also became much more fortified with machine guns and various rifles poking out of the windows of the farmhouses on the outer edges of the town. Zebulon overlooks one such nest with his rifle in hand. Nothing appears to be coming over the horizon, and it's just as quiet as it has been for the past few days, so he decides to take a little break and catch up on Leakhena. Though he takes one last look outside the town just to be sure there'll be nothing sneaking up on him while he's away.

"Don't suppose Sariel would know anything?"

Rebecca gave the knight a bit of a surprised look. "...Perhaps, but she was cast into the Abyss after the incident with the Sword." She responded. "If one of our infernal allies knows where she might be, it doth seem like a good idea to ask...But the question then would be if she would even help us."

Vincent cocked an eyebrow, looking between the pair. "...Who's Sariel?" he finally asked. Rebecca answered. "Sariel was one of the individuals whom searched for and found the artifacts the first time, bringing them to the Church for study and eventual use. She is a Seraphim. A truly powerful class of angel, but still serving beneath the Archangels...She was cast into the Abyss by Archangel Raziel personally."

Vincent tilted his head. "What did she even do? And how did it involve Velin's Sword?" Rebecca glanced to Royland, before replying. "...She wished to use the artifacts to slay the Icons and Taranoch in open combat. When Raziel told her no, she disobeyed him, and attempted to take the sword and use it herself on Taranoch. Raziel intervened, and cast her into the Abyss."

"...She is a true warrior of the light, but her temper and push for action betrays her. She would strike down any evil that revealed itself to her, regardless of the consequences." she finished, looking back to Vincent. Vincent nodded. "Well, its worth a shot if we can get into contact with her...Speaking of Angels, couldn't we check with them to see if they have any information?" he asked, looking between Rebecca and Royland. "Good idea. When Cassiel returns to us, I shall ask him to do so." responded Rebecca with a smile.

------​

As Zeb looked out around the town one final time, a portal suddenly opened not too far away from where he stood. Blue in hue, he recognized it as well as the pair that emerged from it. Tariun, and her lieutenant Xager. Really, it was hard NOT to recognize them. Tariun was tall, almost looming over everyone, and Xager's piercing eyes were rather unnerving to have placed upon you.

Last edited:
When the portal had initially appeared, Zebulon's first instinct was to raise his rifle just in case whatever came out was something less than friendly. Thankfully, Thorgran's men haven't figured out portals yet it seems, and so he lowers his rifle upon seeing the familiar face of Tariun approaching.

"... Lady Tariun?" he asks before putting his rifle away. "... Come here to see Loque, I presume?"

"... Lady Tariun?" he asks before putting his rifle away. "... Come here to see Loque, I presume?"

"Indeed. We have a few things to discuss. Such as providing full support to her cause, now that we are able to." responded Tariun as she almost glided over. Xager watched Zebulon for a brief moment, before looking to the town. Well fortified. Snipers in the trees, excessive amounts of traps most likely. They needed something to combat aerial demons, however, and mages. "You're missing a few elements in your defense, which we can provide." stated Xager casually, before looking back to Zebulon. "Along with supplies and reinforcements."

"Indeed. We have a few things to discuss. Such as providing full support to her cause, now that we are able to."
"You're missing a few elements in your defense, which we can provide. Along with supplies and reinforcements."
Zebulon smiles back at the two. "I'm certain she won't refuse. With what's coming we'll accept anything we can get." he beckons the two to follow him. "Come, I'll take you to her office so that you may speak to her. Oh and-" he points to a sign hanging off a store in the distance, written in a language that is definitely neither Atracan or Demonic. "Welcome to Little Sindoo." he says sarcastically.

Before Zebulon even leads them through the gate it's obvious that Leakhena's rebels took more than a few liberties as they helped rebuild and expand Bathalom. No longer did it appear like a poor peasant's hovel in the more forgotten parts of Adonia, but looks more like a rural town in Battambang with its narrow streets and wooden balconies hanging above the pair as they walked underneath them, and little hanging baskets of burning incense and spices replaced the traditional gluttony smell of rotting crops with something far more pleasant, but also filling the air with a light mist as they burn. Abandoned butcheries that used to sell plentiful amounts of meat a long time ago are finally back in business, only now that they sold chicken and sometimes even fish if they could get their hands on any. The small storage houses that previously lay empty have become stacked with fresher crops as the farmers now had good quality roots and seeds to plant, yet the crops aren't just the usual corn and wheat but had in addition a few plentiful batches of vegetables that are a little more exclusive to Redonian cuisine such as rice, carrots, beans, and potatoes. There's even one warehouse they pass by that's been converted into a temple devoted to worship towards Reamea, and several people inside can be seen repeating mantras and praying. The local inn had been changed too, and it's not selling flat or foul-tasting alcohol anymore but all sorts of sweet teas to any passing patrol of rebels. Shops and smiths that sold the least rusted farming equipment they could afford now had all sorts of trinkets on sale such as conical hats, little prayer wheels, and small statues of Darmite deities. Bathalom had changed indeed; almost everything was now restructured to accommodate these rebels living here with them, but the native townsfolk didn't mind. As far as they're concerned they're happy to do business and trade with the men and women that have made it their duty to protect them from Thorgran.

And finally, there were the rebels themselves with their scavenged helmets and conical hats, their modern looking rifles, their grey clothes covered in nets and leaves and branches, perched on the rooftops, leaning over balconies, dangling their legs off the back of trucks as they drive by, and gathered in groups here and there talking amongst eachother. Though whenever the two got close to some of the conversing rebels, they could tell they aren't talking in demonic. A pair was talking in Kambudgan about how they used to live back home in the mortal realm, a few were boasting in Phaengese about their activies against Thorgran, and one very tall and gangly gluttony demon is showing off his rifle to his friends around him; telling them in Sindi how to properly use it. Though as much of a Redonian melting pot Leakhena's rebels seem to be, it's at least reassuring to know that it's more than their collective hatred for Thorgran that's unifying them. Zebulon gives a wave at the tall demon.

"Pramond! Is Loque still busy?" he asks.

"Why? Are you gonna 'read' with her some more, angel?" he jokes. His friends chuckle along with him while Zebulon simply rolls his eyes. Their laughter is silenced by just one glance from Xager. "Ah, no! It's a joke! She is not."

Zebulon sighs. "Thank you, Singh." Finally the pair are led to a tenement building that's been hastily repurposed as some sort of town hall. Several rebels are posted outside, and they give Zebulon a nod as they open the doors for him. One more trek through a hallway filled with boxes of ammunition, rebels going over plans, and townsfolk waiting in line to speak to some of the more higher ranking rebels, and they've arrived at a set of sturdy looking doors at the end of the hallway. Zebulon gives a knock, and a grunt could be heard coming from inside. He opens the doors, revealing a very exhausted looking Leakhena face down on a plain desk that's covered with papers and maps.

Zebulon walks over to her side and gives her a little nudge. "Loque, Tariun is here and she wishes to speak with you."

Groggy and a little irritated, Leakhena takes her time lifting her head from her desk. The years of healing and ascending have been kind to her, it seems, and her face looks far more like she did way back then. She blinks once, twice, rubs her eyes and sighs. "Hey, if you're here to make me run more errands, I'm a little busy." she says, sounding quite sleepy.

"Hey, if you're here to make me run more errands, I'm a little busy."

"No, dear Leakhena. I'm not here to make you run more errands." responded Tariun with a smile, as she entered the room. "...The time for errands has long past. Now is the time for war." Xager entered behind her, looking about the room as she walked. Tariun instead continued to focus on Leakhena. "I see your ascension is progressing beautifully!" she said, before looking to Xager to make sure she was still at her side. She smiled at her lieutenant, whom looked to Leakhena as well. "...You look like you could use a few days rest, though." stated Xager, before folding her arms behind her as she always did.

Eventually, Tariun spoke again. "Leakhena, I'm here to speak to you about how things are progressing here...and what your intentions are after you've dealt with Thorgran and his ilk." she said. "...I also come to offer my full support to your cause, as we now have the resources to both support you as well as launch a full scale civil war against Taranoch and his Icons. Should you need anything at all, don't hesitate to ask. As a gesture of good will, we will be bringing you supplies as well as some of our troops to assist with the defense of your town here. Some of our mages should prove helpful."

------
Elsewhere...

Marc-Antoine Chéreau Memorial Clocktower
Cololimar
Escaria

Adonia

Benedict Keilberth... Very Daristeinian. His name just sort of rolls off the tongue. Ben sounds cute too. Cassandra stood before the massive clocktower, gazing at the photograph in her hand. She kept the picture close, just underneath the rim of her had so that it wouldn't get wet in the now sprinkling rain. She had once, long ago, asked Raymond if he could locate any of her sister's descendants. If she had any. She never heard about what had happened to the baby after Elizabeth's death in childbirth. And after several decades of nothing...she had grown accustomed to there being no descendants. As if the baby had died as well. Now Raymond presents her with evidence of the opposite, likely having brought it to their meeting once he found out she was alive through her letter to him.

She smiled. She'd have to meet him one day soon. But what would she say? 'I'm your ancestor's sister!' would come as quite a head-scratcher, but then again...she was a vampire. It was believable. She gently tucked the photograph into a pocket beneath her cloak, before looking up at the front of the clocktower. Surprisingly, for a supposedly abandoned structure, it was well taken care of. Likely because it sat at the edge of a large plaza that people walked through during the day. Don't want to have an eyesore marking your view. The inside of the building was likely a different story. Dusty, decaying. Unless its current resident happened to be taking care of everything, which was far more likely. Alchemists didn't like to live in filth, usually.

She had already examined the entrances to the building, having walked around its perimeter a few times. Four entrances. One beneath the bell tower, two on the sides, and one on the far end of the main building. The stained glass on the tower and sides prevented one from viewing into the building. Typical church-like etchings and pictures decorating the glass, but these were of the famous Escarian king whom united the kingdoms of the land under the Escarian banner.

Cassandra decided to try and enter one of the side doors, moving around to the right side of the building and moving close to the door. Now here was the tricky part. Alchemists were dangerous individuals, much like mages. One alchemist could easily dispatch a dozen vampires alone with proper alchemical practice and precise execution. They would even prove to be an effective counter to purebloods and hybrids, with more than one being a guaranteed victory in the alchemist's favor. She would have to look for sigils and runes. Markings of an alchemist's work. And if saw any, she'd have to break them using anything at her disposal. It was highly likely he had marked the whole building with sigils and traps...and likely had sigils tattooed on his hands for quick use as well.

The large wooden door stood before her, as she inspected it for anything suspicious. The door handle was an obvious place to look, but she refrained from touching it. Instead, she reached down onto the ground nearby, and picked up a small rock. And with a casual underhanded toss, the rock was tossed at the handle. And as soon as it connected, a spark was emitted from the handle. Cassandra smiled. Electrically charged. Likely a sigil carved into the back of the door, she thought.

She drew her sword, the sabre she had got from the Cathedral in Eternis, and slipped the point of the blade into the crack between the door and the frame. She slipped it down to where the door's handle was, before giving the weapon a sharp jab inwards. Her pureblood strength shattered the door handle's internals, forcing the door to ease open as metal bits and pieces fell to the floor inside. It hadn't damaged the sword, lucky for her. Probably thanks to whatever enchantments had been cast on it. Before she stepped inside, however, she made sure to inspect the frame of the door as well as the area immediately inside. Searching for hidden sigils and traps. Once she found that there weren't any, she slipped through the door quietly.

Surprisingly, the inside looked as nice as the outside. The hardwood floors were covered with strips of carpet stretching from the doors into the building, colored a lovely warm red, while the walls were dotted with paintings and shelves covered in small collectables and statues. Some bore small bits of precious metals as well. Oddly, the building was lit with small bulb shaped objects jutting from metal fixtures. Light bulbs, she had heard them called. Parts of Atraca and Escaria were already lit with these items, and most of Daristein thanks to the Alchemist's Guild. It seemed people were moving away from gas lights and candles fairly quickly. The fixtures had thick cables running away from their bases, moving further into the building.

She raised an eyebrow, following the cables a ways before pausing at the very edge of the next room. Open rooms were dangerous, so she made sure to look about for any potential traps or sigils. She finally detected a trap here, noticing a fine wire running across the floor just a short distance from her ankles. Inside the room, to her right and eye level...was a double-barreled shotgun. My, that would have been nasty. She stepped over the wire into the room, then stepped around behind the shotgun. She carefully let the hammers on the back of the weapon forward, before removing the wire. Once she was satisfied, she finally turned about to get a good look at the room she had entered.

The main section of the clocktower had been converted to a rather large lab, it seemed. Alchemical equipment was scattered about, along with various papers and other items. Test tubes, beakers, strange machines used to assist with chemical work as well as alchemical activities. A few large vats, as well as a few beakers, were filled with odd colored chemicals. Cables ran everywhere, apparently powering some of the machinery as well as the lights on the walls and hanging above. There were sigils here, but they seemed to be used just for lab work. She noticed, while looking at one of the large tables in the center of the room, that there was a piece of white oak sitting on a plate. Sections of it had been chipped off, and placed under a microscope for study. Perhaps he was studying its traits? A White Oak stake to the heart was an effective method for killing vampires, including purebloods.

She continued looking around the lab, taking careful steps as to not be noisy as she moved. The carpet strips were helpful with that, really, as they muffled her movements. While she looked, however, she was getting an odd feeling. An aura of sorts, coming from below. He was an alchemist, practically a human. Why was there an aura here? Puzzled, she looked about for a door or a staircase. She eventually found one, off to the side of the room next to a vat filled with a purple chemical. She quietly moved towards it, and checked it for any traps before opening it. Inside, a staircase leading down beneath the clocktower. And from where she stood at the top of the stairs, she now could sense the aura more clearly.

It was a demon's aura...and it was moving towards her now.

Last edited:
"...I also come to offer my full support to your cause, as we now have the resources to both support you as well as launch a full scale civil war against Taranoch and his Icons. Should you need anything at all, don't hesitate to ask. As a gesture of good will, we will be bringing you supplies as well as some of our troops to assist with the defense of your town here. Some of our mages should prove helpful."
Leakhena sits up straight and wipes her face, giving Tariun a rather incredulous look. Did she just hear that correctly or is she just that tired? Tariun actually wants to support her and the rest of her followers, and yet she thought all this would be underneath her notice; whether Tariun was too busy fighting on her own terms against Taranoch or maybe demons of gluttony once again always came last. Meanwhile, Zebulon fetches some tea and places a tray holding a kettle and three cups on the table.

"You... you want to help me?" she says. "I-I mean, yes! Yes, any assistance will be a huge help! We're still a long way from Tehom, so anything helps since I'm not sure if you might've seen on your way in here," she waves one of her hands towards a window, and past it, some gluttony demons can be seen assembling a grid full of spikes. "But we're still playing underdogs. Traps, ambushes, hit and runs, and other cloak-and-dagger activities have mostly been our main ways of fighting back. So really I welcome anything you can provide that'll help us match Thorgran." Leakhena goes silent for a second before looking back at the two. "Never... never thought I'd get help from you though..."

"Any cause for the good of the Abyss is one we all ought to be united in, Loque." adds Zebulon, giving her a pat on the shoulder.

'I know..." she says, grabbing a cup for herself. "And forgive my 'appearance'. I haven't slept in... days, I think? We've heard that Thorgran's massing his forces for an assault on us somewhere outside of Tehom, but we lost track of where they are exactly, and I've been forcing myself awake just so I can lead if they do find us here."

Last edited:
"And forgive my 'appearance'. I haven't slept in... days, I think? We've heard that Thorgran's massing his forces for an assault on us somewhere outside of Tehom, but we lost track of where they are exactly, and I've been forcing myself awake just so I can lead if they do find us here."

"It's perfectly alright, believe me. The stress of the current situation gets to the best of us." said Tariun, as she carefully took one of the cups for herself. "I want all of us to succeed and prosper. Gluttony demons will no longer be treated as the last in line. We will be equal, as we were once before. Like Adriel saw us all in the beginning." Xager stood nearby, politely declining to partake of the tea. After sampling the tea, Tariun spoke again. "But once Thorgran has been overthrown, the battle will need to continue if we are to succeed. Taranoch and the other Icons will need to be toppled, or Taranoch will simply put another Thorgran in power here."

She paused for a moment, looking down into her cup. "...Leakhena, with how much you care for your people here...Have you considered a position of leadership in the land of Gluttony once Taranoch and the Icons are gone?" She looked back up to Leakhena, a smile adorning her face. "...I will need a new Icon here once things have settled."

------

Cassandra retreated back into the lab, keeping her eyes on the approaching aura as she moved. She made sure to grab the White Oak shard as she went by it, to make damn sure that it wouldn't be used against her should she have to fight the demon. And of course, she would. The moment the aura emerged from the doorway, there was a gunshot. A high powered rifle, bolt-action judging from the noise it made immediately afterwards. The bullet clipped her, ripping through her arm beneath her cloak before hitting a wooden post at the side of the room. The silver tipped bullet made her wound tingle a little, but didn't faze her beyond that. After all, she was a pureblood.

Apparently, the alchemist Mattias Desmet had been possessed by a demon. That would make things a little interesting...well, more so than they already were. He was an alchemist after all, and hadn't revealed his own power yet beyond some sigils he had placed around the building and his lab work. She took note that he was wearing a gas mask, while his alchemical top hat sat atop his head. Even in battle, these people wore top hats. Another shot cracked, missing her entirely as she used her pureblood speed to move out of the way. She judged he had around nine shots, if he was using an Escarian bolt-action, unless he had already had a round in the chamber when he came up the stairs. He was down to seven or eight now. Not that it really mattered.

She darted through the room, eventually vaulting off one of the tables in an attempt to get to him to take him down. He fired off another shot, which didn't hit but did tear through her cloak, before pitching the rifle at her. She abruptly stopped, catching the rifle with one hand. The distraction he needed. There was a flash of light which caught her attention, her eyes snapping to where he was standing now several yards away on the other side of the wooden table. His hands were exposed, revealing several tattoos running around his fingers and up his hands. And what he had transmuted into existence was a steel spear like weapon. Which he soon pitched at her with rather unnatural speed. She rolled across the table to avoid it, falling off onto the floor before popping up onto her knee and using the rifle he had been using just moments before.

And when she went to pull the trigger, eye aligned with the iron sights as she took aim at the alchemist, the weapon's receiver combusted. Exploding violently and forcing her head to recoil away from it as she dropped the weapon. He had marked the weapon with a sigil apparently, making his own firearm a trap for anyone that used it besides him. Clever. The side of her face was now badly burned, and had bits of metal embedded in it. Her right eye was useless now until it healed. Thankfully, she could still see with her left, which allowed her to avoid yet another thrown object. A beaker filled with an odd green chemical. When it hit the floor and shattered, spilling the chemical everywhere, she soon noticed that it started to steam and disolve part of the floor it had splashed on. Acid.

Another flash, as Cassandra drew her sword and darted around the table towards the Alchemist. As she came around, she swung, slicing the hose of the gas mask. Recoiling away from her, he brought up what appeared to be some sort of fine dust. Sand, as he had turned an empty glass vial into its base form. He slung it into her remaining good eye, temporarily blinding her for a moment. Long enough for him to make another move...which was shoving a sawed-off shotgun into her chest and pulling the trigger.

She was sent sailing backwards, flipping over a table. Shattering glass lab equipment and sending papers flying as the table flipped over with her. Shells were ejected, the spent paper shells gently clacking on the floor as Cassandra attempted to recover from the blast. This man was prepared, it seemed. Even more interesting. As he darted around the table, prepared to fire again, she leapt up. Swinging her sword upwards in an arc and slicing through the man's extended arm.

His arm, and the sawed-off shotgun, went sailing through the air, but the alchemist was more preoccupied with her. With his remaining arm, he reached up and ripped his gas mask off his face. What lay beneath was a pair of inferno like eyes and a wide toothy mouth. And soon the mouth was an inferno as well. He spat a fireball at her, which she narrowly avoided by leaping backwards across the lab onto the wall. Using it as a buffer, she launched herself over his head, sailing through the lab till she landed on the other side of a still up-right table. His demon powers were coming out in force too. Another flash, which forced Cassandra to peer up over the table. He had reattached his arm, and had reequipped himself with the shotgun.

Snap descision time, she thought. She glanced about, before noticing a clear liquid in a beaker on the table in front of her. Grabbing it quickly, she flicked it at the alchemist before moving away from the table. Perhaps that particular chemical could be used for something? It splashed against him, soaking his face and front and distracting him for a moment. She next grabbed a cable on the wall, ripping it out of its fixture. Sparks started flying everywhere, as she soon rushed the Alchemist with it. And as soon as she neared, she flung it at him. The moment it collided with him, it sparked, and the chemical coating his body reacted in a violent way. The alchemist burst into flames. Providing her an even better distraction. She twirled her sabre about, moving around the alchemist as he attempted to put his flames out, before delivering a clean upwards slice.

Almost immediately, the alchemist collapsed, the front half of his head sliding off as he fell. His corpse soon laid smoldering on the floor, Cassandra gazing down at it with her good eye before grunting. "Fucking Alchemists." she muttered. Now to look for information on Pierre, since his alchemist friend was now dead. As she looked through the lab, reading some of the paperwork as she pulled fragments of metal and wood from the damaged side of her face, she eventually found some information. The white oak stake had been provided to the alchemist by Pierre, as payment for something he had done for him in the past. The alchemist was indeed studying its properties, attempting to discover other ways to utilize the material's vampire killing power. He, of course, didn't tell Pierre that.

And soon enough, she found just what she needed. A letter from Pierre, which had been sent from Nocturne. Cassandra grumbled to herself. Camille had been right in her oh so brief assumption. The revelation bothered Cassandra immensely, having wished to get SOMETHING over on the huntress...but it seemed she'd have to wait till another time. For now, she needed to return to Eternis. Provide a little information for Theodore on what Pierre had been working with, write Mariette a letter...and see if the Church could give her a little more information on her adopted sister's descendant.

"...Leakhena, with how much you care for your people here...Have you considered a position of leadership in the land of Gluttony once Taranoch and the Icons are gone?"
"Well I'm already a leader of a movement-"
"...I will need a new Icon here once things have settled."
"Wh-..." Leakhena's eyes go wide and her jaw hangs open in complete surprise at this sudden proposal, and she even slides down her seat until she snaps back in focus and readjusts herself... only to unable think of something to say about it. Leakhena Vong... the Icon of Gluttony; it's not something she ever imagined happening in her life. She's too poor and too unworthy for such a thing and the thought of taking on so much power and responsibility makes her shrink in her seat. Should she begin by telling Tariun that she came from dirt and thusly has no place among nobility? Should she mention that just because she's been competent so far of leading an armed insurgency against Thorgran, it doesn't automatically mean she's good at governing too? There's a lot she feels can go wrong if she's placed into a position like that, and doubts herself immensely.

But could she really do worse than Thorgran? "I... w-well, I... uh..." she stutters. She takes a quick glance at Zebulon, hoping he'd have something to say while she's busy trying to think. He's just standing there, giving her a warm smile. She sighs and shakes her head.

"I don't know, but..." She leans a little closer over the table towards Tariun, and speaks to her in a hushed tone. "You really... you really think I can do it?" she asks very curiously.

"You really... you really think I can do it?"

Tariun nodded, smiling slightly wider. "I do. You've inspired hope in the multitudes of Gluttony demons that follow you. You've been fighting a rebellion against an Icon almost by yourself, though I shouldn't cast aside the help Zebulon has provided you. I see potential in you, just like I see potential in Azathor, Mariette, and all the others. You could be something great, and I want you to reach that status. I want all of us to achieve greatness...Something that truly lasts...but we can only do that if we win this war. If its something you need to think on, that's okay. Take all the time you need." she replied.

She looked towards the window. "...I want the Abyss to be something wonderful, like it used to be. For all of us. Where we punished the wicked for what they do, instead of allowing them to run free. To live in peace with our angellic cousins, and the mortal realm as well. That may be a little far fetched, I guess...but its a wonderful dream I think we can achieve if we really try." She then looked back to Leakhena. "...I will have a pair of scout teams divert Thorgran's forces in a different direction, should they head this way. I need to request something of you as well. I wish to establish a forward operations base here in the Land of Gluttony. I need a little help from you in that regard, as you and your allies know the land. If I can establish a base here, we can provide help at a moment's notice. And it would allow my forces to move in secret using portals between the bases."

Last edited:
Leakhena laughs a little to herself, still in disbelief Tariun is considering her for the position of an Icon. "W-Well, I... I'll give it more than a thought, I suppose..." she mutters. "I can't do any worse than Thorgran, right? But... you are right about everything else you've said. Putting that fat maggot down for good after all the pain he's caused us isn't the only reason I'm doing all this, you know. I mean, just look around with what we did to Bathalom. Have you noticed the way everyone looked on your way in? The people here, they don't look so thin anymore. And they don't look so downbeat and dead anymore either. It's that hope you're talking about, and that I'm sure Zeb has heard from me enough. I've got it too. I also want things to go back to the way they were before all this, you know? Back when we had more things to eat than just mud and bugs, back when the soil would give us a good harvest that we would get to keep, back when you could walk outside and not get hit in the face with the smell of rotting corn and dead cows..."

Hearing some commotion outside, she carefully gets up from her chair and walks over to one of the windows and takes a good look at what's happening outside. Out in an alleyway, she can see some of the townsfolk joyously partaking in a dance as a group of her rebels play instruments and sing a song from the old country. "You know... I don't think I've ever seen them like this almost my entire life." After looking at them some more, she ducks away from the window and sits in her seat; looking at all the maps and reports she has plastered on her table before taking a deep breath and looking back at the pair. "So you don't need to worry about me having second thoughts on all this. I'm in this all the way to the end. I won't stop with Thorgran and not with Taranoch either, but until we finally bring an Abyss King Kaizen could recognize. Besides, my people are far smarter than we look. We know already that our suffering won't stop with Thorgran, because just as you said, Taranoch will find some other tick to fill in his shoes... if he's just as fat, at least."

Finally, she waves her hand over one of her maps. Depicted on it is a rough sketch of the land of gluttony with markers on it denoting the location of every village, town, city, or otherwise important landmark. Some of the markers near the bottom of the map have what appear to be a yellow triangle drawn over them, though, including Bathalom. Looks like those are places her rebels have liberated from Thorgran and judging by their arrangement, she's been following Zebulon's advice closely by working her way towards Tehom and surrounding it.

"As for your base... well, really I'd just avoid putting it anywhere near Tehom. The closer to us though, the better."

Zebulon also speaks up with a little joke. "And I certainly hope your men don't mind becoming Battamese over time."

Last edited:
Following Xiaòzhou's enrollment, in the Abyss
North of the Land of Greed
Luzhou, Yinjian

In the years following the departure of Xiaòzhou and that inquiry he was a part of, Abahai witnessed as the growing tensions across the Abyss made their way to her neck of the woods. Though affairs had largely concentrated in Erebos and around that area, with rebel forces infiltrating Keggoth's private collections and either liberating or destroying things from them (especially things from her 'living' collection), her wrath hadn't made it up here for the most part. It didn't help her that she was distracted with her spats with Thorgran and Sagath, and that reports of wraith on wraith combat had spread. That, however, changed with the return of a face she wasn't even aware had been gone.

It appeared that the fact an Upper Redonian was involved with the inquiry was something that had spread out quickly, and with recent developments in the Land of Gluttony being connected with West-Central Redonians, they had hoped to preempt anything going on in Yinjian. Sagath and Sekath especially advocated for such, due to the Upper Redonian in question being an oni, but the spats continued on. However, it just so happened someone well-versed in the area had found himself kicking and screaming at the doors of Dis, especially after sensing an incredibly familiar aura on the day two Icons died - Zuoqui Huntun. Having lived under the Land of Greed's rule, and being associated with Youdu, which had been sponsored by previous Icons of Greed, Huntun served as a compromise candidate.

When Huntun returned that faithful day to Yinjian, he looked even more deranged than usual, but unlike other times, he wasn't backed up by his usual assassin goons. Oh no, he had a small demonic force ready to crush any rebel forces. He cleaned up house in Youdu, ironically being the one to finally bring balance in that place, to ensure the Icon of Greed had a proper representative in what was often an enclave. Soon after, he issued a warrant for the rounding up of several figures implicated in association to Xiaòzhou. In reality, he was just getting rid of Douean faithful among the oni, viewing them as the least faithful to Keggoth, the new Regent to the Heavenly Emperor, and him, its Enforcer. A curfew was put into power, and Huntun began gathering folks within Luzhou to try and find any members of Xiaòzhou's family.

It had been a stressful while, making sure to get the most important folks in the region out and toward the oni village in the Land of Dead Kings, whilst also having had a warrant declared against her. Given when and where she moved, the curfew was also aimed against her too. She'd had to make sure her aura was kept on the downlow, even wearing a disguise to ensure she wasn't spotted for whatever reason. Tariun had suggested to her getting involved in affairs elsewhere if she wanted, but she assured her that she couldn't leave her people like this.

Even as she stood in the center, calm with hardly a soul in sight, likely due to recent events causing some the loss of nerve, she found herself wondering just how much she could truly help... she didn't even necessarily have any reason to be out either, but in this time of crisis, there was but one place she could visit - the statue of Zhong Kui.

People within Yinjian considered her the spiritual successor to Zhong Kui, a title she had largely adopted just to instill hope back within them, but sometimes she wondered whether she could truly follow him up. The legends associated with him in the mortal coil are exaggerated, for sure, but the people allowed him to become the legend, and so, he did. And now that belief, that hope, was invested in her. Despite her rather selfish reasons for coming here, she's stayed to help as much as she could.

But with Vixas having died at the hands of that damnable Sazak, and already not much of a conversationalist with Tariun and co. despite her association with them, she felt herself more isolated than ever before. Would she even be able to help Yinjian in these volatile times?

In that moment, looking up at Kui's statue, she sensed a new aura emerge behind her. Growing worried for one second, she sighed when she realized who it was. She turned around to find Xager standing nearby. She approached her, motioning her to keep her aura down and speak to her in an alleyway.

"Man, you nearly scared me there for a second!" Abahai told her, "So, what's up? Tariun send you?"

"Not this time. You've received something from beyond the Gates," Xager explained, opening up her bag.

"Oh? Did the hermit remember me or-" Abahai was about to ask, before Xager showed her what it is she had.

She instantly recognized what it was Xager had in her hands - it was the ceremonial metal medallion Boying had created for her and the rest of their group, onto which all of them were inscribed as silhouettes. She slowly reached out to it, almost in disbelief that it was in front of her, before she finally grabbed it. She examined it closely, even finding the bite marks she had left on it after the man presented it to her the first time. Back then, she thought they'd all always be together, working to ensure the peace in Upper Redonia, though she still appreciated the thought. But whether enstatuement or natural death, they all fell one after another. When she left for the Abyss, she didn't see a reason to keep it with her... she reasoned she'd have been back sooner.

"I was also asked to relay a message from the one who sent it your way: 'Shouki Shrine still remembers you, and if you were to return one day, you'd be welcomed with arms wide open'." Xager paraphrased, given Cassiel didn't share an explicit message, but more a quotation.

Abahai couldn't believe it... was the hermit at play here? Only he could've told her she was still alive to whomever is head of Shouki Shrine at the moment. She could hardly take her eyes off the medallion, one of the last gifts she ever received from Boying, but she managed to.

"I, I, ehm...." she found herself speechless, "ah... thank you for bringing this, Xager."

Xager nodded, and appeared to turn away to leave.

"G-Good luck on everything going on, by the way!" Abahai quickly added before Xager departed in her usual fashion.

Now left alone in an alleyway, Abahai could only sit down on a nearby barrel and just... further examine the medallion. She could easily spot herself among the silhouettes, remembering when she were that young and spry. But what struck her more in that moment was the act of having this medallion brought to her in the first place.

Even so long after, she was remembered by the shrine she would call home for her last while in the mortal coil. And rather than wishing them to come back now, they waited still, so that they could welcome her back when she was ready. The shrine too remembered why she was here in the first place... they likely believed she'd achieve her goals too.

To have something like this back in her hands after so long overwhelmed her. She didn't appreciate it enough when she first received it, but now, it meant so much more now. It had been so long too since she genuinely cried, and tears of joy too. She was reminded of why she thought against the demons in the first place during the Age of Darkness, why she and her brother strived for the oni in its aftermath, why she fought for her brother's sake, and why she remained here still.

She couldn't let worries get her down now. Not when there were people threatened, and when they believed in her.

---
Roughly one month since Xiaòzhou's enrollment, in the mortal coil
Zhongjing, Upper Redonia
Shouki Shrine

The month or so spent in training had gone rather well, as much as Jing didn't want to admit it. Though she saw it necessary to extent the period by another week or so, just to ensure Xiaòzhou was properly doing everything, she didn't really want this time to end either. She hadn't had a sparring partner like the oni hermit since the passing of her predecessor, and even then, he didn't necessarily compare to him either. The hermit was far from their standard, but she could tell just how high his ceiling was in terms of what he could still achieve.

Over the course of the rough month, day in and day out, whilst adhering to their usual practices, Xiaòzhou and Jing would spar and train within the underground training chamber one of her predecessors had built, one which could allow those within to reveal their aura in full without the outside sensing it. To ensure the best results, Jing insisted on its use and for the two to go at max. Though she failed to make him do what he had done during their battle prior, he did seem to get better at his fluidity, getting better at dodging her movements as he grew to understand her styles better. The same could be said vice-versa though, to the hermit's chagrin.

She did note though his attitude towards his skills, realizing how long it had been since the hermit actually received praise from teacher or peer, and part-way during their training invited some of her disciples to watch and learn from the both of them. Xiaòzhou would find himself surprised that the disciples in question were actually yokai in disguise, with two even being oni! Suddenly, he was getting words of encouragement and folks saying how much of an inspiration he was, giving them confidence and so on, flustering him extensively. Jing used that flustered state to her advantage, both to secure a victory and to teach a lesson in tempering one's emotions.

Speaking of tempering one's emotions, much of her training ended up emphasizing this fact. As she taught him the Zìránquan (Fist of Nature, 自然拳) technique, a integrated mind-body technique where with proper timing, sharp focus, and mental endurance, not only is qi drawn from the lower body (dantian, 丹田) and sent out through the remainder of the body, but it is maximized to such an extent it affects the qi surrounding the user too. The qi is tapped into at a far greater scale than usually possible for the body, thus allowing the user to increase its output even higher. However, the further one goes, the further one increases their metabolic rate and damage to the body, just as a flame of a candle burns intensely just before it goes out. Though Jing herself estimated that humans like her can only go up to fifty times in strength, she speculated that Xiaòzhou could go up to a hundred even!

However, the intensification of his qi throughout his body as such made it hard to temper his emotions, almost feeling as though he was tapping into nature's rage itself! He could only go up to times ten before his body gave in. His body too would prove a barrier when she began teaching him the other technique she had used against him, instantaneous movement (shùnjiān yídòng, 瞬間移動). Though he proved to grasp at it quicker than he had with the Fist of Nature, again his body's relationship with his qi at this moment seemed to conspire against him. Even if he could get from one end of the chamber to another, the same equivalent distance through things proved far harder, such as attempting to get to the ground floor, whilst only managing to get toward the ceiling of the chamber they were in. Even then, he found it easier to bounce from several qi points to get to one end to another rather than straight-up going from one to the other. If he wanted to achieve his best, he would need to not only further unite his body and his mind, even more than he had already done as a hermit, but overcome extreme emotion entirely.

Despite these set-backs, Xiaòzhou had learned tons under Jing's tutelage, and it presented him with the opportunity to share even more of what he knew. Jing would record what the hermit had found out about the Abyss through his Shadow, elaborate on points he hadn't earlier when Cassiel was here, and more. The miko really enjoyed the amount of information he was sharing, whether it confirm or deconfirm what they suspected about the Abyss. What he didn't seem to know though was where the Kimon was, even if he confirmed there to be an Abyssal Gate in the north-west.

With their last training session wrapping up, Jing challenged Xiaòzhou to try and get one hit on her with everything the two had learned from one another. The disciples watched as the two masters went at one another, the hermit doing his damndest to try and hit the miko. After several minutes of her dodging, countering, pushing back through aura, and more, a charged air strike with the use of Zìránquan at its base would prove good enough to scratch her under her left cheek.

As the hermit laid flat on the ground, hardly celebrating his victory as the disciples cheered him on, Jing approached him:

"[...you know what? After all that, even if you might still be rusty with some of my techniques,]" she began, reaching a hand out to him, "[I think you're at the point where practice will make perfect.]"

Xiaòzhou smiled, as he reached for her hand and was pulled up by her. This meant but one thing...

The month of rough training was finally over!

As he stretched, the disciples raised their hands to confirm if this meant Master Xiaòzhou was going to leave. Jing nodded and confirmed as much, leading to their saddened responses.

"[H-hey...]" he responded, feeling kind of bad seeing them like so, "[don't be like that! I'll be back soon, I'm sure! Don't think of this as a goodbye, but think of it as a see you again!]" he tried to cheer them up.

Slowly but surely, goodbyes were shared among those present, Jing waiting until the hermit did the thing he said he would.

The thing in question was something Cassiel had taught Xiaòzhou after he had returned from the Abyss, a mortal method of summoning him, utilizing its own string of words. With the goodbyes with the disciples settled, he went on to follow Cassiel's instructions, before concluding with the words he had told him:

"Novas Tirina Noctin Procinus Cassiel!" he yelled, proclaiming it to the ceiling.

Soon after, a portal emerged in the middle of the chamber, to the amazement of the disciples present. Jing herself had to admit how practical having portals was compared to her method of movement, but that's just how tienshi are like, she supposed.

Through the portal stepped Cassiel, who looked upon those present with a bright smile. Behind him, there appeared to be more angels present, one of whom, Raziel, waving at the oni. Though he didn't recognize him, nor Cassiel's brothers, he waved back in a somewhat intimidated fashion, before turning his attention to Cassiel.

"[Cassiel! How are things, my friend?]" he greeted him.

"[As well as you could imagine,]" Cassiel responded, as he looked the hermit over; the angel was impressed just how much a month had done to strengthen the oni, but at the same time, he could look into his eyes and just see how much he had been crushed internally, "[the month has proven even better than I could've imagined, thank you Shi Jing for training him, given the circumstances.]"

"[Oh, you don't need to thank me, thank you for letting him stay for as long as he did!]" Jing responded cheerily.

"[Before we go, Cassiel, do you want to see what I can do?]" Xiaòzhou asked the angel.

"[Why not?]" he smiled.

Xiaòzhou stepped back, as Jing and the disciples moved to the side. The oni sent a rapid amount of qi around the room, for no immediate obvious reason, but soon made his intentions clear as he held his hand to his forehead, and began instantly moving from one qi orb to another, swiftly moving at the blink of an eye. Cassiel nodded, noting how useful this would be, before Xiaòzhou appeared right before him, smiling. Stepping back once more, he did his best to keep his mind and body were in balance, before launching into the Zìránquan, increasing its intensity slowly from two times, up to five, and slowly approaching ten times. As he achieved ten times intensity however, he promptly dropped out of the technique, not wanting to strain his body any further.

"[He's still working on it,]" Jing offhandedly remarked.

"[Even that much is impressive. I'm glad to see you've improved!]" Cassiel said, encouraging the hermit further, who began stretching to ensure his body was still good.

Cassiel looked over at Jing and the disciples present, politely greeting the latter, before once more thanking the former.

As Xiaòzhou straightened up, Cassiel approached him and gave him a nod. It was time to go. He looked towards the people he had spent the most this last month or so with.

"[...genuinely, I want to thank you all for what you've given me. I would not have come so far if not for you all here,]" he said, before turning his gaze to Jing, "[And thank you for accepting me if ever briefly into your honorable shrine, just as Shi Guang had. I hope I'll come back to Upper Redonia soon!]"

Jing smiled cheekily: "[You better come back alive, alright?! We'll all be waiting!]" she remarked, before deciding to take the opportunity to make a comment;

"[Maybe we can all find the Kimon together even!]" she said, deliberately looking at Cassiel, as if signaling to him that that was something she would want to know. Cassiel responded with a knowing nod.

The hermit and the angel waved off at the miko and the disciples, before stepping through the portal. It was time to head back to Adonia.

---
Now, a few months since
South Atraca, Adonia
Eternis

Ever since returning to Eternis, Xiaòzhou had done his best to maintain his training regiment, though scaled down for obvious reasons. He did receive a new space where he could train in, thankfully, but the challenge of keeping one's qi hidden during qi-intensive training did bring about an ironic benefit of helping him in connecting his mind and body even further than it had been before.

Otherwise, however, he had just returned to doing errands as per the usual, assisting Cassiel or even substituting him if need be, though the latter occurrence was few and far between. He briefly substituted St. Rebecca in training around the cathedral, but after a few sessions, he received a letter informing him that the folks didn't want him to ever train them again. He wasn't entirely surprised, though he was still saddened.

Eternis' geographic position did provide it with some tension, as affairs across Adonia began to escalate in unexpected ways. As someone from a land that's effectively been fractured since forever, and having largely stayed out of political affairs, much of what was happening in terms of politics was flying over his head, though he understood as much Eternis' position being tenuous if conflict were to arise for whatever reason. He'd have to still ask Cassiel for a rundown however.

Last edited:
Two months later...

March 25th, 1881

Two Miles Northeast of Clinswell
Atraca/Daristein Border
Adonia

It had been a week since the declaration of war between Atraca and Tsavania, with Tsavanian forces initiating the war via a naval bombardment of the city of Canster on the northern Atracan coastline. It wasn't long afterwards that Atraca made their own attack, pushing through the highlands into Tsavania and capturing three towns before Tsavania could amass a force to stop them. Four days later, Escaria would join Atraca in launching attacks against Tsavania in the east. Daristein had made demands prior to Escaria's involvement, requesting that Escaria not involve themselves in the affairs of Atraca and Tsavania, allowing the two to sort their mess out however they saw fit without outside involvement. Trade lines would remain stable, and peace would be maintained between the other nations. Escaria ignored the telegram from Daristein, seeking to put an end to Tsavania's ruthless aggression and bring a quick end to the war by stretching their forces across two fronts.

On March 24th, Daristein would ally itself with Tsavania and launch attacks on Escaria. In retaliation, Atraca also declared war on Daristein and mobilized some of their southern forces towards the border...but Daristein would make the opening attack in the early morning of March 25th. A Daristeinian artillery barrage lasting several hours would pummel the area around the small town of Clinswell, which had been quickly evacuated after the declaration of war. Once the barrage ended, Daristeinian troops made their push into Atraca. They were met with heavy return fire from the Atracans, and soon Clinswell became the site of a massive battle of powers.

Benedict Keilberth found himself among the invasion force, having been reassigned after the incident near the border with the Tsavanian troops. The landscape had changed from grassy fields with beautiful trees and shrubbery to dirt and craters from the artillery fire. The town of Clinswell, from what he knew, was now just rubble...but it was rubble full of angry Atracans. Determined to push the incoming Daristeinians off their soil. Gunfire was already sounding off, cracks of rifle and pistol shots as well as brief bursts of machine gun fire. Explosions could be heard here and there, as some of the artillery guns occasionally got shots off in support of the advancing force.

And as the night progressed, it would also be filled with the sounds of men and women screaming and dying.

Last edited:
The Escarian Sanctum
Escarian-Schwyzian Border

"It's getting worse." Jonah said as he looked upon one of the scrying pools, his face bearing visible tension and fear as he witnessed the bloodshed and warfare coming to a head on all sides. The entire continent was at war on a scale never before seen and it would only get worse as time progressed. Yet, much to his frustration he could do nothing as the Arsenal Magus had ordered full enforcement of the Court's lack of meddling in the affairs of the outside world after what had transpired with Venextos. While the council had failed to remove him from his position, it was all to clear that the Arsenal Magus was intent on repeating the same course of action he had taken during the Age of Darkness.

Jonah was flanked by a few of his own friends who shared similar concerns, having resorted to meeting in secret away from the prying eyes and ears of those that would agree with the Arsenal Magus on his decisions. Such frustration was growing amongst the Raven Court, and it seemed as though it was only a matter of time until one side or the other would have to enforce their say on all who were among them. "What can we do? These new restrictions are chaining us in place practically." Robert, a younger disciple of Jonah's, spoke up. Jonah simply stared into the waters and shook his head as beads of sweat fell from his obsidian brow. "I don't know... we're running out of time and options. Perhaps its necessary to remove him-"

"What? Go directly against the Arsenal Magus himself? We would find ourselves outmatched even if we had over a hundred masters on our side, it's impossible." Anna, merely a student, quickly interjected with disapproval.

"I don't mean like that, I meant playing politics against him. Sway the council against him by making them see the futility of inaction... we just need something, anything, to convince them. We can't let Venextos' sacrifice be in vain, we owe it that much to him. Besides, I'm certain Hayley has ideas about this. She's close enough to the council that she could be of help."

"But the question is, will she help us?" Robert asked.

"That... that will have to be our hope." Jonah simply stated.

Florentina, City of Valencia

It had been a good few hours from traveling all this way from the Abyss to where she was now. It took her months to experience firsthand how the world worked. Newspaper boys handing out letters, trains riding across countries, the feeling of tasting something like fresh bread beside new people. But that nagging feeling never left after leaving her old home. She had dyed the small strands of black hair into the silver-blond and talked in front of the mirror at times just to get the hang of socializing. Ever since she arrived at the surface, felt like she was being watched at every corner of the earth. For months she managed to get used to life, enjoying it before peace broke down and the talk of war started. She eventually went off and returned to Florentina to keep a promise at the request of a friend.

Currently the woman stared out from the countryside and saw field workers picking cotton and grapes under the harsh sun. Despite the heavy armor weighing on her shoulders, she barely made a sweat. She crossed her arms and looked down at her boots, anxious to reunite with her family again. And like before, the time to make peace was waning down as news of war threatened to tear the continent apart. Simply put, she wanted to move away from that and ride the war out as long as she could. Maybe Florentina can survive the massive casualties.

The carriage stopped near the gate of the estate. The driver opened it and stepped out. He wore a simple uniform with no insignia on his chest, but he carried an ornate sword which hung from his side. "Welcome back, Lady Melgaeron" He said with a smile. "I'm sure your family is expecting you." He walked towards Visenya and extended his hand. She shook it and thanked him for bringing her here. He smiled and nodded, but then turned around to address the rest of the guardsmen standing nearby. "We have arrived at our destination, so let's get inside." As soon as they heard those words, several men began walking inside the gates while others stood by ready to open them if necessary.

They all went inside without saying another word. Visenya followed suit and entered the manor. Inside, there were many servants waiting for Visenya, but she noticed none of them spoke to her. Instead they seemed to be talking about some topic unrelated or even ignoring her altogether. Eventually one of them approached and bowed respectfully towards Visenya. "My name is Hector, I am a servant of Davion. It's been a long time but a warm welcome." He said politely. Visenya gave a tired nod and wondered about Davion. Hector led Visenya through the halls and towards the courtyard. There, a man in shining silver armor was waiting. A large sword was sheathed at his side, and a longsword hung by his waist. He turned towards Visenya and immediately broke into a smile as soon as he saw her.

"Senya!" He said happily, "You're back!" Visenya recognized him as Aedan, the youngest son of the family and heir apparent of the Melgaeron Estate after Senya went off to become part of the Red Wardens. She smiled and went up to embrace her brother, like a long lost relative she never had before.

"I am, and it's good to see you again." She said. "Of course! It's been too long! You have no idea how much it’s a blessing to have you here." he replied. Visenya nodded in agreement. He looked more mature and even took upon himself to train with a sword.

"I know, I know, I should visit more often. But I'm here for a reason. I wish to speak to Father. May I see him?" Visenya asked Aedan. However, Aedan's smile disappeared and turned into a disheartened frown. He looked away and saw there was a way to move the conversation elsewhere.

"Senya, a lot of things have happened since you left." She was taken aback by his words. "What? What do you mean?" She figured important events went on without her, but Aedan’s tone made it seem much more dire.

"Just come with me, and I'll show you." Aedan led her through the halls towards their father's study. Inside, Visenya saw several bookshelves that were filled with books on history, mathematics, and other subjects. There was also a large desk with several papers on it as well as a few books. The room was illuminated by a few candles that gave it a warm feeling. The rest of the mansion seemed to lack any sort of warmth, as if the walls were absorbing the coldness from the occupants. Visenya turned her attention back to Aedan, who had closed the door behind them.

He looked at her with a mixture of pain and guilt in his eyes. "It’s about Father. Senya, he's not feeling well." He said and turned around if someone else was hearing their conversation out of habit.

"Aedan. . ." He stopped and looked at her. "Would you tell me what happened? I want to know." Visenya pleaded, clenching her hand.

Aedan sighed, and sat down on one of the chairs in front of the desk. "When you left Florentina, things were normal. Father was still working on his projects, Rena finished her education and even thought about sending letters to you." He said, looking at Visenya intently.

"What happened then?" She pressured him for more information.

Aedan looked away. "The... the sickness happened. It was odd. It started with a headache, and then fever, and then it moved to the joints. I remember father's knees and elbows swelled to nearly twice their size. It hurt to move, it hurt to sleep. He screamed for weeks, he went through so much pain..." Aedan's voice started to crack, and tears started to well up in his eyes.

"Then what?" Visenya tried to get more out of him, and of course he did.

"Then it stopped. He got better, but he wasn't the same. Something was missing from him. I don't know how else to describe it." She nodded, urging him to continue. "He stopped working on his projects. He stopped caring about anything. He just sat in that chair and did nothing. We... we had to hire people to take over running the mines."

"Is that why there are so many guards?"

Aedan nods. "We tried sending all the help we could, but I hate to say this. But, he’s been getting worse lately as the sickness returned. Father may not make it this time." Aedan admitted, preferring to stare at the family paintings instead. Visenya grunted and looked down. All this time, waiting on figuring out what she wanted to do, only to find out her new father is bedridden, struggling to survive. She had to ask another question from Aedan.

"Where's Rena right now?" Visenya asked.

"She's in her quarters. She'd be happy to see you again." Visenya nodded and turned to leave, but not before thanking her new brother.

"Thank you, Aedan." He nods and watches as she leaves the study room. Visenya walked through the halls of the mansion, past several guards, and up the staircase. Eventually, she found herself in front of a large wooden door engraved with the sigil of the Melgaeron Family. She took a deep breath to calm her nerves, and knocked on the door. Expecting to see the same young Rena before the Warden went to Redonia chasing Kimura.

"Yes?" a female voice answered from the other side. It's Rena, Visenya thought, starting to feel the adrenaline pump through her veins and her heart beating fast. She cleared her throat and spoke up.

"It's me, Senya," Visenya said softly. There's a moment of silence before she heard noises on the inside. The lock on the door clicks, and the door slowly opens. Standing before Visenya is her younger sister, now well into her twenties like the Warden and now a woman. She's changed quite a bit since the last time Senya saw her. Her long blond hair is now cropped short, and she's grown taller. Her facial features have also changed; her cheeks no longer look so chubby, and her lips aren't as wide. Her eyes still shine like emeralds, but they have a tired, worn-out look in them now.

"You came back!" She says, almost surprised yet happy. Her eyes wide and joyful now that her older sister was here, nearly jumping for a close hug with her blood. She gave a reassuring smile and patted Rena's left shoulder.

"I promised I would." Visenya reminded her, and she nods. The two of them stood in silence for a moment. There's so much she wanted to say to her. So much Visenya wanted to know about what happened while she was gone. "Come on, let's get inside." She says, opening the door wider for her to enter. Visenya walked into the room, and found out that not much has changed. The furniture is different; instead of dolls and toys, there are now bookshelves and paintings. But other than that, felt mature for the younger sister. Even Milo the Chihuahua barked at Visenya, perhaps for reasons she could guess. Maybe in due time will the little dog get used to her unnatural presence.

"So... what do you think?" Rena asked. "Do you like it?"

"It's nice." Visenya said, looking around to inspect the number of books and artifact she had laying around.

"Yeah..." Rena says, looking a bit sad. "Take a seat." Visenya sat down on her bed, and Rena took a seat in a chair nearby. "So... how have you been?" Visenya asked.

"I've been better. Yourself?"

"Uh, I've been better too." The two of you stare at each other for a moment, waiting for the other to speak up, but Rena would prove to step up.

"So... where've you been? You’ve been closed off from us for a while now. It would be nice what happened to you during the past few months." Rena encouraged, as Visenya took a deep breath, preparing herself for a long story. "Well... it's a long story..." She mentioned, not sure where to start off due to the Beaumont Mission, excluding her centuries as a shadow that is.

"We're not going anywhere. I got time." She says, challenging that statement.

Visenya nodded, taking another deep breath. "I was in Atraca, looking for work until an angel called Cassiel found me. He brought me to one of the Cathedrals and I managed to meet Velin, God of Judgement. Eventually I met up with a couple of men and women so we could take a venture in the Abyss. You can call it Hell." Visenya explained so far. "We were tasked with finding an Inquisitor named Valeria and grabbing these ancient artifacts. There were a few fights, to put it lightly but we worked together and found ourselves in the Land of Dead Kings to rescue Valeria. But before we could do that, I teleported out of there. I changed down there, and I don't know how to explain it to you." The Warden admitted while staring at her hands. Rena nodded.

"Go on." Rena simply stated, hiding her large confusion about what her sister was talking about but, went along with it anyway.

"I changed into... something else. I don't know how to describe it. When I was down there, I felt like this was where I belonged. It was only when I came back that I realised how different this world is from the one down there. You and Aedan wouldn't understand."

"Try me, I'm not a child anymore."

Visenya nodded, and sighed. "I wish I could, but even I don't know all the ins and outs of what's going on with me. All I know is that I'm different now. I came back because... it was the right thing to do."

"Do you wish to go back to this Abyss?" Rena tilted her head.

She shook her head in response. "No, not anymore. I've been given a second chance at life, and this time I'm not going to waste it like I did before. I'm going to live it like it should be lived." Visenya stood up, and held out her hand to help her new sister up.

"So what's been going on around here while I was gone?" She took Visenya’s hand, lifting herself up. "I'm sure Aedan told you about Father. Did he?"

"Yeah," The Warden said with a bad feeling.

"He's been taking a turn for the worst ever since you left. It's only downhill from here, and I don't know how to help him. I've tried everything, but he insists that we continue to look for you. He said it was his duty as your father to make sure you were safe." Rena explained, recalling their father's worries regarding Senya and if she would ever come back again. Thankfully, Visenya's arrival will relieve that worry for good.

"...He told you that?" Visenya lowered her eyebrows, confused. She nods, and pulls out a necklace, with a leather string and a small red crystal hanging on it. It sparkles in the sunlight that comes through the window. "He gave me this for safekeeping. Told me that if he died before you came back, that I should give it to you." She hands it to the Warden, holding it in her hands, staring at the crystal. "I think... I think he knew he wouldn't make it." Rena mentioned, leaving Visenya to close her eyes.

"I'm sorry that I couldn't come back sooner."

"It's okay. I'm just glad that you're here now." She smiles. "So where were you after your interesting mission in Hell?"

Visenya could only sigh, not really wanting to go into detail about what happened. "Let's just say I had a lot of soul searching to do."

"Did you find what you were looking for at least?"

She nodded her head. "Yeah. I think I did."

Visenya and her siblings met up together and needed to see their father again as a family. Visenya took a few seconds to clear her mind, ready to meet her father. She knocked on Davion's room, expecting an answer from his servants.

One of the servants by the name of Ortiz opened the door for them, turning over his shoulder and nodded. "It's good to see you, Senya Melgaeron."

"Is he...?" She asked, pushing past him and into the room. "No. He's resting for the moment. But I don't know how long he has." He said, turning to follow Visenya into the room. She quickly moved next to Davion's bedside, where he laid against a mountain of pillows, his chest rising and falling with each labored breath. Aedan placed a hand on his shoulder, shaking him gently.

"Father? Can you hear me? Senya's here. She’s here now." He groans a bit before opening his eyes. Rena showing a saddened frown. "Father, I'm here. I'm back." The Warden said weakly, taking his hand in hers. "Thank the Gods. Thank the Gods..." He says, his voice raspy and weak. His eyes water as he stares up at her, struggling to stay awake.

"Don't talk. Save your strength." She told him, but he continues to try to speak. "I... just wanted to see you... one last time." He gave out a weak smile, tightening his grip around her gauntlet.

"You will, father. I promise you, you will." Visenya tried to comfort him as best as she could knowing how long he had. He shakes his head slowly. "No. My time here is over. I can feel it... I'm ready to let go now." He grips her hand tightly much more, as if he's afraid that she’'ll vanish into the air if he lets go.

"I'm sorry I wasn't a better father." He expressed, looking down at his frail hand, trying to breath.

"It's okay, father. You did your best." He shakes his head once more, before forcing himself to sit up. It takes a lot of energy, but he manages to do it. "No... No, I didn't." He says with a pained expression. He presses the palms of his hands against his eyes, as if trying to push the pain away. "I was never there for you. I tried... And I failed."

Visenya shook her head. "No, father. You-"

"Let me finish." He says, his voice growing louder. He takes a deep breath, before continuing in a more calm tone. "I'm proud of you. All three of you. You all became everything I could ever have hoped you would. I'm sorry it took me so long to realize that. I'm sorry I failed Ryden..." He grips her hand tightly, an ounce of strength left.

"You made me proud, daughter. You always have." The room is silent for a moment, as Visenya thought back to the days when he would return home from battle. She remembered how he would pick her up and spin her around, laughing. Those memories bring a smile to her face despite the tears rolling down her cheeks. Oh how she wanted to go back to those days when Ryden lived to see their progress as a family. They were united and had each other. She was glad to travel all this way to meet her dad.

"I love you, father." She finally said, squeezing his hand.

"I love you too... daughter." He says, his grip on her hand loosening. He closes his eyes, and lets out a long sigh. Rena begins to sob, Aedan places his arm around her shoulders for comfort. Visenya stood up from the bed, and walked over to her siblings.

"I'll take care of him." They nodded their heads as a thanks, and left the room quietly. Visenya stood by Davion's side, watching as his chest rose and fell with each breath. After a few minutes, the rise and fall of his chest evens out. His body becomes still, and his peaceful slumber becomes eternal rest. She tilted her head down, as tears formed around her eyes and made her final goodbyes.

"Farewell, father."

The Warden informed the staff of the manor about her father's passing, her mind riddled with thoughts and growing numb by the minute. After they had all given their condolences, she dismissed herself to her quarters for a much needed rest.

Visenya laid in bed, staring at the ceiling above her. She thought back to her father's last words. Even though he was proud, a part of her still wishes that he could have been proud of Senya if she was physically there. Both of them have done things, terrible things, but it was all for survival. They have done things that they were not proud of, but it was necessary. Wasn't it? Visenya’s thoughts immediately faded away when she heard a knock on the other side of the door.

"You may come in." Visenya said. Rena peeked through the door before stepping inside. She gave her older sister a weak smile, but didn't approach any further. Visenya gives her a respectful nod, indicating that she should come in and close the door behind her. She does so in return, standing by the door with her back against it.

"How are you holding up?" She asks.

"I'll be fine." Visenya lied, shrugging off her shoulders. "I just want to be left alone right now."

"I understand." She says. "But, I was wondering if you'd like to go stargazing with me tonight." She tilted her head in confusion.

"Stargazing? That's a bit out of the blue."

"Well, I've noticed that you enjoy those astronomy books you read. I thought it might be nice for you to go and look at the stars with someone who shares your interest. You know, to take your mind off of things. If you'd rather be alone, I understand."

"No, stargazing sounds nice. I accept your offer." Visenya smiled. Rena smiled back, although her's is much more genuine. "Come on, it'll be like old times." She gestured for them to get some fresh air, they needed the change of mood. Sometimes it was important to relax besides fighting, Rena recalled, especially in these harsh times.

Visenya and Rena walked side by side out of the manor and into the courtyard. They passed through the courtyard, the stars already out and visible. The moon is full and bright, illuminating everything around it.

"It's beautiful." Visenya said, looking up and just taking a moment to experience this firsthand. "I know a place where we can get an even better view." Rena takes her hand, and led her through the forest. The cold air nips at their faces as they venture. The two of them reach a clearing, where a large rock sits beside a flowing stream. The stars and moon are visible above them, but up here they had a better view of them.

"This is my favorite place on the entire estate." Rena says, sitting down on the rock. "I used to come here a lot as a kid." Visenya sat down next to her, and enjoyed the view in silence.

"You're quiet over there." Rena says, breaking the silence. "If you're tired, we can go back to the manor."

"I'm not tired at all." Visenya responded quickly, turning to look at her. Rena's staring back at her sister, as she found herself lost in her eyes once again. "I just thought, my problems would go away sooner if I came back. But everywhere I go, I feel like the world forces me to do things I don't want." Rena puts her hand on her shoulder, and gives it a squeeze.

"What is it that's been bothering you exactly?"

"I always try my best, but sometimes, I feel like it's not enough anymore. The world will move on without me. Like a ghost in this world." Her eyes wandered over, staring at the stars aimlessly. Hoping things will get better. Rena understood the sentiment, wanting to give a little bit of advice from a young sister.

"You know what I think? You should have more faith in yourself. I know you'll do great things with your life, even if the world does move on."

"Heh. I wish I had your confidence in this body."

Rena smiles. "You will someday. I promise."

The two of them spent the next few hours on top of the rock, just talking. Visenya discovered more about her younger sister’s life, and feels as if she bonded with her on a whole new level. Rena eventually left the scenery, but not before giving a word of wisdom with a smile. "If you ever feel as if you don't belong, there's something called a "reflection"." Rena mentioned, kicking the traces of dirt before she needed to go to bed. Visenya indulged her and wanted to know about this piece of reflection.

"What's that?" Visenya asked. Rena looked very much pleased with herself given the excuse.

"Just look at your reflection in a mirror, and repeat to yourself "I am real" as many times as it takes for you to believe it."

"Why would I need to do that? Are you saying I'm not real?" She tilted her head in confusion, earning a giggle.

Rena smiles. "Not at all. I'm saying you need to believe in yourself more. You got the tools, you just need the confidence now. We'll talk more about it some other time. I'll see you around." Rena gave a polite wave and started to head back alone.

"See you around. And thanks, for everything." The Warden replied kindly. She watched as Rena went off into the distance, back to the manor. Visenya turned her attention back to the stars, daydreaming as her eyelids are half-closed. She then heard an identical voice by her side.

"I appreciate the favor, Visenya."

She turned to see an old friend, sitting beside her staring at the stars. This wasn’t the first time she appeared, but nevertheless Visenya looked like she was seeing an actual ghost. Senya lit up a cigarette with her finger and exchanged a large puff of smoke after getting a taste of the nicotine. "I didn't think you'd do it, but you sure proved me wrong. Maybe you’re not so bad after all, Shadow."

Visenya let out a tired sigh, "It was the right thing to do. It was your family after all."

"Yeah, but still. You didn't need to go that far. But I appreciate it, " Senya replied.

"I had to, Sen. Otherwise, I would have felt like the most guilty person on the expedition. And frankly, I don't even know how you're still talking to me. Are you some sort of figment in the mind? Or is it really you?" Visenya asked her, earning her a look of annoyance. Senya could only shrug and lean back.

"Figment in the mind, hallucination, spirit. I personally don't care what you or others call it. Point is, I'm here now, and those people are gonna have to deal with it. Better than being the straightwoman for once." She inhaled the cigarette, feeling confident despite the situation she was in. For Visenya, it was very jarring for her to have that kind of attitude. But with taking care of family matters, she still wondered what’s next.

"So...what now?" Visenya could only ask, expecting an answer from the Warden. She exhaled the smoke from her mouth, before turning to Visenya. "I dunno. I guess you can join me out here as my eternal partner in crime. Taranoch is still out there, and shit's going down in the continent. As far as I'm concerned, your job isn't finished yet. Because I'm still seeing a Warden who's still alive, sitting on her ass moping around while others are actually doing something about their problems."

Visenya shook her head in an act of cynicism, "The others from the mission will eventually find me. They won’t forget about what I did with you."

Senya smirked and rose from the grass, "You seriously think the others care about that when the continent's at war? I see two options, you either stay in Florentina and live your new life, hoping that demons won't invade this island, or you can actually help out the world and take matters into your own hands and stop giving a fuck what others think and start doing what you think is right. Fuck those Icons, and fuck the people who act like they’re better than you because they got better powers. Because people like Leakhena and Takato are still out there, fighting knowing they got a disadvantage. It’s time you stop pissing away your talents and prove you’re more than a Warden from the country of bumfuck nowhere while Escaria and Tsavania are cutting each other’s throats."

Visenya went speechless, and she couldn't help but notice the little resemblance of the Warden she knew when she was still alive. Maybe she was right. To reunite with their family was an experience they would never forget but the threat of Taranoch still loomed across the world. And if he ever broke out, no one will be safe. "I'll...I'll think about it. We still have to set up our Father’s funeral soon. Best not get in anymore trouble later." She admitted after her crime back then. With that, Senya had to agree. No point in causing trouble and just finding a way to make contact with the others. She was satisfied at least.

Senya sighed a load of relief, looking up at the skies and giving a glance to her. "Good to hear. Now come on, we got a lot of shit to do." She extended her hand and helped Visenya up. She didn't know what they were getting themselves into, but it was something different than what she had in mind. But still, she couldn't help but ask now that Senya was here.

"Since when did you become more aggressive? Were you that salty when you lost the duel?" The Shadow crossed her arms, expecting the truth from her.

Senya let out a chuckle, "I'm pretty sure I was always like this. The difference is, now I don't have to pretend to be something I'm not."

"I’ll take that as a yes then. So what’s the plan?"

She took a moment to think, before answering the question. "The plan? Now we go find some real demons to fuck up. With or without the others backing us up. My time has passed. Now it's your turn."

Visenya smirked and nodded. "Alright then, let’s do it our way, partner."

Last edited:
The Grand Cathedral
Eternis
Atraca

Adonia

It had been two months since they began their grand search for where the artifacts had been buried by the Church after their use in the great binding, yet they still hadn't found themselves any closer to discovering where they had been hidden. Tariun had made several attempts to locate Sariel, but only recently had discovered that she had been captured and imprisoned somewhere by Keggoth, the Icon of Greed, in one of her 'living collections'. So, the group had to turn to the Angels.

Cassiel, after conversing with his brothers and Archangel Raziel for several days, eventually was granted access to the angelic archives. It certainly helped when Undite put her input in to Raziel. An Archangel disobeying a God? Unheard of. It would take several more days to locate the proper documentation, as the Great Library of Heaven was massive. Easily taking up an area the size of a city, just outside the Golden City of Heaven. Angels kept documentation of most of the Mortal Realm's history. Every small detail and action went into a book, regardless as to where it was. This greatly assisted in the proper judgements of souls while in Purgatory...at least when they had an agreeable God of Judgement to work with.

Eventually, Cassiel would return from heaven with the information they needed. But he would arrive to find that the situation in the mortal realm had changed greatly. As time in the Abyss was faster than the mortal realm, time in Heaven moved at the same speed as the mortal realm as to comfort the souls that pass on to Heaven. Most of the continent of Adonia was now at war, and it was quickly growing worse. Cassiel was quite shocked and horrified by the turn of events, but pressed on. If they stopped Taranoch, they might just stop the war that was now occurring.

Eventually, he found himself back in the Archives of the Grand Cathedral, where Vincent, Theodore, Hudson, and Ser Royland were still slaving over the documents they could locate in the Church's archives. "Greetings, everyone. I return." he stated. The look on his face was one of worry, but he still smiled as he looked to each of them. In his arms, three white books. "I have located details of the burial sites of each of the artifacts. I was unable to find direct locations, as even the Angels attempted to hide their locations in our Grand Library, but this is as close as we can get."

He set the books down on the table they had set up for the search, and opened them to specific pages. "Gyasis' Amulet was buried on the Isle of Grimtham, on the southwestern coast. The pirate cove that it was hidden in was known as Black Water Cove. The exact location was expunged, so some searching will be needed as with the other artifact locations." he started. "Thiasis' gauntlets are located in the abandoned Dwarven city of Vaghbadir, located in the mountains of northern Daristein. You will need to contact one of the dwarves that were resurrected in order to discover the city's actual location. And finally, Undite's staff. It is located in the ruins of a mage's tower, deep inside what used to be Elven territory in northeastern Escaria...That one might be difficult to access, as it is now currently Tsavanian and Daristeinian occupied territory. One of the Elves may be able to point you in the right direction, should you be able to slip behind enemy lines."

"It looks like you all have quite a journey ahead of you, then." spoke a male voice behind them, forcing the group to turn about to see it. It was Adona, standing there alongside Undite and Velin. Cassiel bowed quickly, to which Adona chuckled a bit. "You don't have to bow, you know." he said. Undite spoke next. "We have a month to prepare, according to Adona here. He will be sending his riders to gather all those that will be seeking out the artifacts. The group will be lead by Lady Rebecca. Vincent, Theodore, Hudson. You three will be needed here in Eternis, but I wish for you to assist the others in preparing for the journey."

Adona then turned to Velin, giving her a smile. Velin smiled back, before looking to Ser Royland. "Ser Royland...I wish for you to be part of the group seeking out the artifacts. You will answer to Rebecca during the endeavor." she said softly.
Upstairs, in the central part of the Cathedral, Cassandra found himself sitting in one of the pews. Reading over the last letter she had received from Mariette. She would be interrupted by Rosanna, whom walked up and spoke. "...Cassandra." she simply said, forcing the pureblood to look up. "...Yes, dullahan?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. Rosanna smiled. "Adona has a mission for you."

------
Elsewhere...

Sheol
The Hollowlands
The Abyss

"Hunt down any remnants. Try to capture them. If you are not able to, slaughter them on the spot. We are making excellent progress, and we will not be slowed down. Do you understand?" stated Xager loudly, blood dripping from the pair of swords in her hands as she spoke to the pair of demons near her. "Yes, ma'am." they responded before darting off into the dead city of Sheol. Other demons followed after them, as the large remainder of the group remained to secure the area around the massive cathedral. It had been a hard battle for Sheol, but Xager's attacking force had managed to secure the city. Defeating the Pride and Vainglory demons that attempted to fight them off. Taranoch's forces were currently preoccupied with an ongoing siege in the west of the Heartlands, targeting one of the many fortresses that Taranoch had constructed throughout the Abyss in response to the ongoing civil war.

Sheol was key, as it was the former capital of the Abyss used by Kaizen. Symbolic to Tariun and those aligned with her, controlling it was like linking their cause to the reign of Kaizen. The reign of law and order. Azathor's men and women had assisted in the capture of Sheol as well, which meant that Xager got to witness Mariette's progress first hand. In fact, she had been part of the spearhead which pushed through the city to the cathedral. Exceptional progress.

The war breaking out was too much to ignore for the pair of diligent hunters, even if they preferred to believe that they were somehow outside of it a war on this scale was unprecedent. Back at their estate the fronts were shifting, and if the Escarian forces couldn't hold the line it could be in danger of being taken by the Tsavanians. Event the Daristein troops could try something like slipping through the border to attempt to cut off Atraca should they see a feasible chance of that working. As a result Hudson was somewhat distant as Cassiel, Undite, and even Adona spoke, his arms crossed as he stared ahead for some time.

"Right, I could help out here. Though... I have a request." Hudson said with a slight bit of hesitation. "Cam and I are a bit worried about the war brewing on our front doorstep. Much as I know that Camille would prefer to battle a whole platoon of Tsavanians by herself or kick away an artillery shell somehow, we can't stay at her estate." He performed a mix of a bitter chuckle and a sigh, only to shake his head before continuing. "Could she and the kids stay here in Eternis? I think it would be the safest option for them, considering attacking the Church could invoke the wrath of gods. Which I am hoping would be enough of a deterrent..."

Last edited:
"Could she and the kids stay here in Eternis? I think it would be the safest option for them, considering attacking the Church could invoke the wrath of gods. Which I am hoping would be enough of a deterrent..."

Undite nodded. "The children may stay here in our care yes. But as for Camille..." she said, before looking to Adona. Adona smiled. "...I wish for Camille to join the group venturing after the artifacts. Which means you would be able to remain here with your children."

Afterwards, Velin spoke. "We understand the scale of the war currently ongoing across the continent. Atraca and Escaria fighting Tsavania and Daristein. Volucia fighting Eshax. Eshax in the midst of a civil war. Even the new nation of Nocturne is under naval attack by the Tsavanians...this is a war unlike any we have ever seen. Even greater than the wars during the Age of Darkness." she stated, "...But I have faith that if we locate these artifacts and figure out a way to defeat Taranoch, we can end this war just as quickly as it began."

The Far North

War had ravaged Adonia as all nations were at each others throats, locked in a conflict never before seen in the mortal world. Something had provoked this, and Ethraeil's intuition knew that the timing was too good with regards to what had transpired in the Abyss. And so as he sat upon the Black Throne in his citadel, far removed from the world in secrecy, he continued his work to fight the coming tide. His message was clear to those who followed the dark arts: to follow in his steps or to die by his hand. As the months had progressed following his return to his fortress, all manner of necromancers, liches, and undead from across the known world had traveled to his domain, to swear their fealty to the Lich King and to fight.

From his vantage point, he could see his entire fortress bustling with activity as fresh undead were raised from the ancient battlefields of old in this region and funneled to the fortress while the forges bustled with creating weapons and armor for the dead without rest nor reprieve. Along with this, he had organized those that would fight along him with their particular set of skills. First were the Death Knights, dubbed as the Arbiters of Vengeance by Ethraeil himself, comprised of those who had proven to be truly to be dedicated in changing their ways: to ultimately use their foul powers in the same manner that Ethraeil now used his, for the good of all. Then came the blood mages of old as they heeded Ethraeil's call to arms and established their own faction within the new Army of the Dead. Those necromancers and liches who were adept in molding flesh and bone were assigned to become Fleshcrafters to create titans and beasts from all manner of bones and tissue to fight in the coming war as the heavy hitters of the army.

Many of the lesser liches and necromancers that made their way all this way found themselves assigned to their own units as "officers", commanding large units of undead that they themselves maintain in number and in condition which usually comprised of dozens of skeletons and zombies for the necromancers and potentially even a golem or titan which the liches above them commanded several units of these necromancer battalions. Such organization was necessary to keep this army intact, and to establish an order amongst the chaos of those that practiced the dark magics. The most recent addition was perhaps the most unique: spectres, victims of the Age of Darkness, arrived en masse as they were promised the chance to enact their vengeance upon the demons that had denied them their lives. Although shades of their former selves, they still maintain that hatred and thirst for revenge within their very beings that made them impossible to send away by Ethraeil.

By every hour, his army grew in size and in strength even beyond that what he had commanded in the Abyss in his attempt to take Taranoch. As his new axe rested on his legs he sat deep in thought as to what will come next. Should the demons break the binding and be unleashed upon the world once more, he would indeed move to attack them. But how would the living react to such a sight? He hoped that they would recognize his intentions when the time came and when the die was cast. Because in the end, only one thing mattered.

"No king rules forever, Taranoch."

Despite Adona's insistence, Royland bowed at the sight of the gods. Theodore got out of his chair while the gods spoke about what they were to do next. He had hoped that he would have left for Nocturned by now, but the there was still no word from Reed on whether or not that would happen. The war had made things more difficult now. Cassandra had confirmed their suspicions, much to her own risk. The bastard was indeed hiding as a refugee among others of his kind. The fact that he had help from an alchemist disturbed him greatly. He knew that Pierre had experience with alchemical formulas, much to his own experience with the man. The supposed clan he was part of didn't surprise him. They didn't have the best reputation.

Ser Royland...I wish for you to be part of the group seeking out the artifacts. You will answer to Rebecca during the endeavor.
"As you command my lady." The knight bowed his head to acknowledge his god's request. "Whatever the saint would require of me, shall be done as if it was a command from you." Theodore rolled his eyes before turning to Adona

"I assume you have something planned for us if we are to stay here. I may have transitioned to teaching children for a brief time, but I doubt grading the next generation of hunters schoolwork is the talent you seek from me."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back