• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Hunter's Moon: The Sin & Sentence [IC] [CLOSED]

"And why do you stay? You are not bound like these lost souls are to their memories." Ethraeil inquired, looking about to the spirits that watched him off in the distance away from the warmth of the forge. "Unless you choose to bind yourself here."

"...I like the quiet." responded the Runeforger. He began to hammer away on the weapon, continuing to speak as he hit the abyssal metal. "...Plus, this is the room in which Adriel's forgemaster, my ancestor, worked while she resided in the city. He moved with her to the capital once Trig was dead and Adriel had chosen a location for the new capital of her kingdom. I feel as though I honor him here. I am not bound here...I choose to be here."

There was a pause, before he spoke again. "...I do wonder how my former apprentices are doing, sometimes. Especially Bozoth, who serves as Tariun's forgemaster. Beyond that...I'm happy here."

Ethraeil simply grunted in response as he awaited the forging the complete. It was respectable for someone to choose isolation for the peace it gave, Ethraeil did prefer the quiet as well and thus felt a bit of similarity to what the Runeforger spoke of. "I would not know of your apprentices, apart from them perhaps helping forge weapons of war when I fought the hordes of wrath."

Ethraeil was quiet as the sounds of hammering filled the area as the Runeforger worked on his craft. It seemed as though it was getting more and more into what Ethraeil desired it to be, but a question lingered on his mind: "What is the price for such a weapon? Power like this never comes for free."

"What is the price for such a weapon? Power like this never comes for free."

The Runeforger paused, glancing to Ethraeil. "The price? Blood. When Taranoch and his Icon perish, the payment will be complete." he stated. He went back to finishing the weapon he was hammering away at, as he spoke again. "...Taranoch killed my brother and fellow Runeforger. His Icons dumped his body into a crevice in the Land of Dead Kings. I want my brother avenged, be it by you or someone else."

The Runeforger continued crafting the weapon, eventually holding up an abyssal axe. The finishing touches need to be added. He reached over and took the blood stained weapon from Ethraeil, before running his hand along the blade. Blood coated his hand, which he smeared across the axe's faces. Then, he began to carve runes into the blade with the sharp point of his tail. "I shall bless this weapon with the powers of ice." he stated, as he etched the symbols across the sides of the weapon. And then, it was finished. He held a hand over the axe, speaking in an ancient tongue, before picking the axe up and offering it to Ethraeil. "Here you are. The Kingslayer."

Ethraeil looked upon this new weapon, seeing its intricacy within its design and the power that radiated off of it, and gave a nod. "His death, Sazak's, and all the others I shall see to." he stated as he wrapped a hand around its handle. Yet as he did so a sheer weight was brought down upon him as if a mountain hand landed on top of him, forcing him to one knee as he groaned and grunted in pain from the sheer force of power he had brought upon himself. The crimson red glow of the blade seemingly began to coalesce into his very being as his own blue eyes turned into the same shade of color as he let out an inhuman roar in agony. Yet through all this, he forced himself through this struggle and pushed himself as far as he could.

As time passed he slowly began to stand up as he tamed the raw power of the weapon until the pain and weight finally subsided and was subsequently integrated into his very being. Yet now he felt as though he could summon such strength, the same he had in his blood-rage during his fight against Taranoch, on command and retain control of it. A true gift that he would use for his vengeance as he lifted the axe and let out his own victorious roar, summoning the winds of winter to his beck and call. "Now it begins." he simply stated to the Runeforger, before making his exit.

Later, the Mortal Realm

He had left the Abyss the same way he had entered, yet the mortal world seemed so strange to him now. Although it was three years since the Inquiry here, in the Abyss he had spent decades fighting. Seeing now the sun, the trees, and grass... everything really, as he stepped out once more into the open air it was a strange experience that was marked by apprehension as well as relief. Yet all was not well with the world, given the problems that had arisen since what had transpired back on Grimtham. He didn't need to even see it for himself, he could feel what was wrong with everything. And so, he began his march back to civilization: Eternis. Undoubtedly, there would be those knowledgeable of the situation there... as well as Valeria. There was much he wanted to say to her and he hoped that there wouldn't be any violence getting in his way.

Good. You followed the path instead of straying from it.
"We like to pride ourselves of following instructions" Constantine answered Annen "Tho some of us still tossed something off the path to see what happens." He glanced back at Tiloc, who was still trying to hide the shock. Collette was busy looking at the blood worm, noting their size and what was needed to bring them down. There were other thoughts that sprang in her mind. Mainly what properties can be extracted from them? Would they let her take a sample or two? Do these things even have any organs? Wrath demons seem to like the scent of viscera and gore so maybe she could fashion something more cosmetic if nothing else.

"It was some beads I had left over from older rituals. Nothing to worry about." Tiloc answered finally. Constantine rolled his eyes as he turned his head back and followed after Annen. The other two tailing closer behind.

Meanwhile, Outside of Leakhena’s house.

A hooded figure knocks on the door. He sighs as he figures out what he wants to say to Leakhena and hopefully does not shoot/stab him straight away. He then looks at the landscape around him.

The Abyss, Cruel, and Unforgiving. A place where evil lurks around every corner and is waiting for their fill of whatever your carrying, be that items or your own flesh. He could still remember all the conversations and the fights that had to happen across this accursed land like it was yesterday for him. They saved Valeria from what seemed to be an eternity from the Abyss and killed 2 Icons during the process but failed at recovering any artifacts and the stupid curse he was emplaced by Sazak with. He sighs again, but hopeful that they may be one day could finally resolve the burning issue. he then clears his mind and goes back to the present, where he waits until a gluttony demon opens the door for him. Which confused him a bit but nevertheless, he continued.

“Hello, Is Loque there?.." The hooded man says, "...I’m one of her companions.”

“Hello, Is Loque there?... I’m one of her companions.”
Greeting Wesley at the door is a half-dressed demon of gluttony; wearing only a pair of sandals, baggy orange pants, and a checkered scarf that covered most of his head. For a moment it appears he's looking off into the distance behind Wesley, though he focuses back on him after he seemingly doesn't see whatever it was he was watching out for.

"Aap..." The massive teeth that formed his entire 'face' click as he speaks. "You will not find... any Loque here! You... you will go!" he says with an incredibly thick Sindi accent.

Meanwhile, very soft sounds of quick shuffling around could be heard coming from inside, punctuated by the muffled sound of a rifle being loaded and primed.

"You will not find... any Loque here! You... you will go!"

Wesley looks unamused by the Gluttony Demon’s attempt to make him go away. As well as his unique accent. “Look here, I just want to meet one of the people of this house... I pose no threat whatsoever- “

With the help of his Vampirism, he manages to hear shuffling and the cock of a rifle being chambered with fresh ammunition inside the house. prepared to put a lot of holes in him. “…Although, you might do against me... Just. call her and she will know who I am.” He puts his hands up as if to show that he does not mean harm. “No weapons drawn.”

“…Although, you might do against me... Just. call her and she will know who I am.”
The demon doesn't reply, but he does closely examine Wesley to see if he's telling the truth. After his examination, a hiss comes from his teeth as it raises a finger to him. "You move. You die." he threatens. The door slowly closes and Wesley is left alone for a moment. Murmurs can be heard within; presumably Leakhena being notified she has a guest. Though if Wesley were to look around, he'd see that something is glinting at him within one of the trees surrounding the house. Eventually the door opens back again, and this time he's greeted by an entire group of gluttony demons armed with rifles that're pointed at him. One of them motions for him to come inside and sit by the dining table. Leakheana is waiting for him there with her feet on the table and wearing a harsh scowl on her face.

During the time that the door was closed on him, he noticed the glinting on one of the treetops near the house, “Pretty prepared to wage war against someone… Are you, Loque?” He thought to himself.

As the door opens and the group of armed Gluttony Demons popped out with their rifles pointed at him, he was hesitant to not do something about it, luckily, one of them motioned for him to come inside. He proceeds inside with his weapons still in their delicate holders. He scans the interiors of his way towards the living room area. The whole house has been cleaned and renovated back to what seemed to be its original form, with sketches of plans, papers crumpled up into balls to be assumed as flawed ones. The one leading him was another starving and discontent Gluttony demon. he had the same look that the other demons had given him and the front porch, Resilient and unyielding.

A few steps inside the interior and they were now in the presence of Leakheana, with her feet on the table and the expression on her face that she still wore back when he tried to stop her from leaving the group all those months before.

“…Hello, Leakheana. ” Wesley pulls down his hood, to reveal his human face and his vampiric eyes towards them all, “Do you mind we converse?”

“Do you mind we converse?”
Leakhena sighs and shakes her head. She's not entirely pleased to see a face she had almost blown off a while ago, especially right before she's about to make her first move. She looks back at him after taking a quick glance at a clock on the wall. It won't be long until nightfall; she'll have to depart soon if want to make it to Bathalom while it's still dark outside.

"Make this quick, I'm short on time today." she demands of him.

The trip to Eternis for Ethraeil was filled with complications. As he was a lich, he often scared away civilians and others that would spot him. Eventually, he would encounter guards in Eternis. It took members of the Inquisition getting involved to prevent violence from occurring. And soon, he found himself staring up at the Grand Cathedral of Eternis. There was more activity around the cathedral now, especially with his presence within the vicinity of it. More priests and other church staff moved about, eyeballing him, while members of the Inquisition watched him carefully. But all it took was for him to state who he was and why he was there for most of them to calm themselves. Most had heard of the lich Ethraeil, whom had been sent to Grimtham to assist in the Witlock Inquiry. After all, he came from a holding cell deep beneath this very cathedral.

Soon, he was allowed inside. It took some careful warding and such for him to be allowed to step inside, as the cathedral had numerous enchantments placed around it to prevent demons and undead from entering. And once inside, he was greeted by Cassiel. "Ethraeil. It has been quite a while." he spoke, smiling at the lich as he did everyone else. "...I assume you're here to see Valeria?"

------
"...Those worms you saw tend to attack those that leave the path. We have to send scouts out around the fortress to locate and kill them. I love blood, but not as much as those creatures do." stated Annen, glancing back to the cowboy wraith. They continued down the apparently deep staircase, descending into the dark depths which were barely lit by flickering torches. They passed a few other demons, whom were walking up the stairs to the surface. Most of them carrying rifles and shotguns. "More scouts heading out to look." commented Annen, before they arrived at the bottom of the stairs. She pushed open the iron double doors, careful to use the fabric of her sleeves as she did, and revealed a large room filled with demons.

It was bustling with activity and chatter. "Your fellow recruits. Mix and mingle if you must. I shall inform my superior that you are all ready." she stated, glancing at the trio behind her and motioning to the group. Some of the various demons before them glanced to them, but didn't do much else. And it seemed to be a wide variety of demonkind. Some of every sin, as well as several unaligned demons. They ranged in appearance from near human to completely inhuman. But all were here to apparently join in Tariun's rebellion against Taranoch. As the trio looked among them, Annen disappeared through a door at the end of the room. Moving deeper into the fortress to seek out Xager.

"Where is she?" Ethraeil demanded with a bluntness that could rival the strongest of hammers. As he stared down at Cassiel with unflinching eyes he simply grunted as well: "And spare me your false pleasantries. Do not think I've forgotten my enslavement here."

"And spare me your false pleasantries. Do not think I've forgotten my enslavement here."

Cassiel looked a little surprised. "Ethraeil, if you recall, I try to be polite and kind to everyone. Including you. And as for your enslavement, I was not involved in that. That was a decision made by a Grand Bishop long ago, and he is now dead and buried. Not everyone in this Church is your enemy...and you have even less enemies now that Undite is the new head of the Church. The Church, as well as the Inquisition, are purging themselves of their cancerous elements...But at the moment, it seems you do not care for that."

He glanced behind him, looking to the tall staircase in the corner. "I'm sure Undite has sensed you...so she may be bringing Valeria to see you." he spoke. And soon enough, a pair of women descended the staircase. Undite, whom Ethraeil recognized from the countless paintings and sculptures of the goddess, and Valeria.

Ethraeil cared little for what Cassiel had to say, for the Church was all the same to him in his eyes. He cared little for Undite's presence as well, his own disdain towards gods playing a large factor in that, but stilled at the sight of someone he thought he would never have been able to see again. He took a few steps forward before speaking: "Valeria... I... it's good to see you safe." he said, disregarding everything else in the moment. "I wish I had known where that monster had been keeping you," he then spoke as his thoughts fell through his mouth like a cascading river, "Had I known... I would have carved through those abyssal mountains to reach you."

"I failed my promise... and I hope you'll forgive me."

"Eh, howdy." Constantine waved at some of the demons looking in their direction. Didn't seem that they had attracted any negative attention to themselves, which was good. At the same time Colette looked at Tiloc to both check on her and to ask a question.

"Do you sense anyone?" She asked in a hushed tone.

"There are many demons from all walks of unlife, little bird." The priestess looked around, now fully recovered from the shock and noting the variety of their new comrades. "I don't sense any of our kind if that's what you meant. Me and him seem to be the first to arrive." A sniff of the air made her grin slightly "Oh, but you're not alone. There are shades here. I can smell their sorrows and frustrations. They don't have the concoctions you brew to mask the scent." That observation had the double effect of unnerving Colette, but gave her a sense of relief that she was not alone among the growing army of demons. The priestess didn't seem phased by the shade's reaction as she continued to smile. "Come you two." She turned her head to face the demons "Let us make some new friends."

Constantine stepped back allowing Tiloc to take the lead, while he trailed behind her next to Colette. She was the one to make the call and had recovered from her little episode, so it made sense to let her be the face of the trio for now. He was more content with just taking in the sights. Getting this many demons and of this variety, while keeping them in line was already impressive. The rebellion might be small compared to what Taranoch brought to the table, but he was willing to wager that they had an ace up their sleeve if they managed this long and have been this successful. He just hoped that fate wouldn't make a fool out of him for getting himself mixed into all of this.

"I failed my promise... and I hope you'll forgive me."

Valeria smiled, tears welling up in her eyes again. She remained standing where she was however. "...Y-You tried your best, Ethraeil. Sazak had a p-plan...he had a plan for centuries. He likely w-would have stopped you a-another way..." she said softly. She looked to the ground, wiping her eyes in the process with her fingers. "...Only a s-select few knew where I was imprisoned...Sazak made sure of it. He kept me in that hole for thirty Abyssal years...just to t-torture." She glanced to Undite, who spoke next. "I've been trying to help sooth her mind...To get her through the trauma and stress, and get her to open up about what she saw in Sazak's mind. What his plans are, and what Taranoch's are. But he seems to have planned ahead. Most of his memories that remained inside her head have been locked away using magic. I believe that Taranoch's sorceress Mazgith may have had a hand in it. I've been trying to undo the spells, but its tedious work...even for me. It may take a few months before we know anything he might have been hiding."

Cassiel nodded. "...She's been well taken care of here, Ethraeil. I promise you that." he added, before looking to Valeria. "Jakob, Rosanna, Theodore, Camille...all have visited her. Mariette and Wesley even helped in her rescue. I believe that once Aleister and Galina know of her rescue, they will visit as well. The Grimtham inquiry seems to have developed a strong bond in the end." Valeria nodded, genuinely smiling again. "...They care." she said softly.

Cassiel then looked to Ethraeil. "I should alert you to something, if you plan on sticking around in the mortal realm for the time being." he stated. "...Cassandra Bainbridge, the pureblood vampire you fought on Grimtham, has regained her sanity. She is a changed woman, and alongside Mariette, she assisted in the rescue of Valeria and their escape. She has returned to the mortal realm, and wishes to assist in killing Sazak and repairing the damage he has caused before returning to the Abyss. At the moment, she is assisting Theodore with a problem involving his wife's killer. If you should see her, please...do not attack her."

------
Elsewhere...

Outside the Copper Sailboat Tavern
Calchester

Atraca

"Ya think this rain's gonna stop anytime soon?"

"Not a chance, bruv. Its a nice, big one. Heard its stretchin' from here ta Saxondale. And there's more comin' in offshore."

"Just gonna be a rainy week, innit?"

"Thas how its lookin'."

Cold and wet. That's how it had been for the past few days now in Calchester, a costal city in northern Atraca. The cold didn't bother vampires all that much, however. The rain? Mild irritant at best unless it was flooding. Casper Burke stood outside the tavern, close the open doors so that he could hear the conversations going on inside. It was the usual stuff. Nocturne ships snooping around not too far to the northwest, old stuff appearing in people's yards or fields from ages ago. Church activity here and there. Same thing that had been happening for the past three years.

He soon found himself popping a cigarette between his lips, lighting it with a match he drew from his coat pocket. After flicking the match away, he popped open his umbrella, resting the shaft on his shoulder as he strolled away from the tavern. He had heard enough gossip for the night. Time to move on, head on home and read the paper for the larger news. Maybe down a glass of the red stuff. As he walked the streets, he glanced about. Horses pulling carriages down the cobblestone streets, men out late and heading to the bar or elsewhere for a bit of fun before calling it a proper night. A few women were out and about, likely clerks and store owners whom had just closed up shop.

He turned down an alleyway, crossing from one street to another without having to walk all the way around, before hanging a right and eventually winding up at his own home. It was a dull looking place, two stories tall but sandwiched between two taller buildings on either side. His front yard consisted of about four and a half meters from the front of his house to the street, with a stone path cutting right down the middle to his front steps. The shutters, a pale white to sort of match the odd off-yellow paint of the home and the black shingled roof, were shut and locked. Preventing people from peeking in to the home...and to prevent as much sunlight from getting in as possible on clear days.

Around the property was an old iron fence, which he passed through without hassle thanks to the lack of a gate. Up the pathway he strolled, before walking quietly up the steps to his door. He closed his umbrella, as he had no need for it now as he stood under an awning, setting it aside and fishing for his keys in his coat pocket. Always best to lock up before you go out somewhere.

And as he drew them out and began to cycle through them for his front door's key, he heard a voice behind him. "Hello there, Casper." said the voice, female and with a tone that implied that the origin was wearing a smug expression. It legitimately scared him, forcing him to drop his keys on the steps. He knew exactly who it was, without even having to turn around.

"C-C-Cassandra!" he managed to get out, spinning about and trying to grab his keys from the stone steps. Cassandra stood in the middle of the pathway, clad in her usual black inquisitor-style garb. Her cloak wrapped around her, and her eyes peering out from under the brim of her hat. And, just as he had suspected, a smirk adorning her face. "You always were a bit clumsy, Casper. Here...let me help you." she said, before darting forward and grabbing him by the throat. She lifted him up with ease, holding him up in the air off his feet as she kicked the keys up into her free hand. She hummed softly to herself as she flicked through them, eventually finding the right one and opening the door. Casper struggled to try and free himself, clawing at her hand to no avail as she carried him inside and shut the door behind them.

"Now...We need to talk, Casper. And you're going to tell me everything you know about a certain Pierre Aliker." she said, tossing his keys onto the small shelf next to the door before looking back up to Casper. Her eyes now a blood red. "Or...I can go with Plan B. Kill you, and rummage through your things...which is a little more tempting."

Last edited:
"Make this quick, I'm short on time today."

Wesley looked at the clock as well, seeing that the time was indeed short for them to do anything about it. He sat down on a chair at the other end of the table facing Leakheana.

“Leakheana, when I caught word from Takato that you came to the church to do some business, I made it my top priority to find you. Now, our history together is... rocky.. to say the least. But. I wanted to tell you something and it’s….” Wesley audibly sighs, “...It’s about our first encounter with each other… you know the one… where you nearly blew my head off for trying to stop you from leaving?” he looks at her, with an honest face, “I wanted to say that I’m…. sorry. As much as I was just following the orders of Vincent and making sure everyone was still following us. I failed to realize that you were going through your lowest point in that whole journey, And. I was only just making it worse by bringing you back into the fold of things and act like it was nothing… And I’m here to make things right.

Wesley opens one of his belt pockets and places down his emblem on the table and slides it to Leakheana, “If this is what it takes to clear all that wrong-doing, then so be it. After all… You’re helping these good folk back to their feet."

“If this is what it takes to clear all that wrong-doing, then so be it. After all… You’re helping these good folk back to their feet."
The gluttony demons surrounding the two look at one another in a mixture of confusion and amusement at Wesley. Meanwhile, Leakhena simply blinks with dead eyes staring right at him. She's not even sure what to feel right now with his sudden apology; especially one coming from a seldom seen man whom lurked around the group. Eventually her shocked-yet-blank expression she has slowly shifts into one of disbelief, and she breaks her silence too.

"You came back to the Abyss, this place... You tracked me down just to say sorry?" A firm grunt comes out of her mouth as she sits back up. Still in shock, she's unable to process what to do next. While she could give him an earful for holding her here just to do something he could've written in a letter, she really shouldn't deny her the courtesy she gave to others, especially when she's tried burying the hatchet with them. She's apologized to Hudson whom very fortunately gave her the time of day, and others did the same towards her like Venextos. It wouldn't be right if she didn't listen to another member of Vincent's group, even if she barely knows him. Her hands close together as she props her head up with them; trying hard to prevent falling onto the table.

"Alright, alright..." she sighs after taking a deep breath. "You... certainly have nerve if you came back just to do that... but look. While it's nice that you stopped by to visit me, I'd rather just forget about what happened back there. There's... a lot that went into that I don't want to discuss." The emblem that he left on the table is carefully examined by her, wondering if it has any unique properties to it. "And uh, thanks?... Does it do anything?" she says, looking at it in her hands.

Ethraeil held his tongue and simply glared at Undite briefly, letting her know his disdain for her before returning his attention to Valeria. Although two pieces of news stuck out in his mind and that was Cassandra was back, supposedly 'sane' again and that the rest of the Inquiry had been here, or rather those that could be here. For the latter, he wasn't surprised that they would have visited but was somewhat saddened that he could not have met them too after all this time. As for the former, he had every reason to question Undite's judgement on the pureblood, given how these very same gods failed to do their job when the Age of Darkness came but still held his tongue from antagonizing her as he spoke to Valeria again: "Once I was once a knight, and although that time has long passed I still seek to regain some honor from that front. And so, I vow" he stated as he presented his axe atop his hands, "That with his own blood I will kill Taranoch, Sazak and those that follow them. This I swear to you, Valeria. They will all pay."

Following the energetic encounter a week or so ago, not much beyond the usual occurred for Xiaòzhou, who continued on assisting everyone at the cathedral. Helping with paperwork, doing other errands, checking in on Valeria (and greeting Weston in the meantime), and even taking part in St. Rebecca's training regiment for a day in solidarity, these were busy days! However, each day, especially following his usual pre-sleep meditation, he was always confronted with the same thoughts. He had yet to consult with Cassiel over the idea of contacting Shouki Shrine with what they know.

Following his mid-day meditation, the thoughts once more surfaced, but this time, he had a distraction. As he departed his quarters near the cathedral, he noted a strong aura at the cathedral proper. Before he could properly consider what the aura was though, he began to overhear chatter from the others staying in the cathedral's vicinity. As he approached them, they turned to the hermit asking if he was sensing the aura and if he knew who that was. After answering appropriately, they revealed that it was the lich Ethraeil!

Though he didn't like the tone one or two of them had when discussing the lich, it intrigued Xiaòzhou enough to want to see the lich himself - after all, just as he hadn't seen a dullahan until a week ago (or at least, consciously seen one), he hasn't ever seen a lich! And after remembering the discussion had on the Lich King during his time down below, he just had to take his opportunity!

He flew off as fast as he could toward the cathedral! When he arrived at the front entrance, he carefully opened it, as to peak and not disturb anything going on.

"Once I was once a knight, and although that time has long passed I still seek to regain some honor from that front. And so, I vow" he stated as he presented his axe atop his hands, "That with his own blood I will kill Taranoch, Sazak and those that follow them. This I swear to you, Valeria. They will all pay."

"...P-Please be careful, Ethraeil. Even t-though you're a l-lich...you're not i-immortal." responded Valeria, hicing Ethraeil a faint nod. Undite then spoke again. "...I think its time for you to rest, Valeria. We have a long day tomorrow. More treatments and spellwork." she said, to which Valeria nodded. "Alright...T-Take care, Ethraeil...V-Visit me again sometime. I...I m-miss traveling with you all."

And a moment later, Valeria was escorted back to the staircase by Ethraeil, leaving Ethraeil standing there with Cassiel. Eventually, Cassiel glanced back and noticed Xiaòzhou peeking in at them. He smiled. "Ah! Xiaòzhou! Please, come and meet Ethraeil!" he said, waving to the Oni.

------
Back in Calchester...

Pierre Aliker. An Escarian vampire who behaved more like a snake oil salesman than a proper criminal. That was as much as Cassandra herself knew of the man, really. She moved about the house quietly, her eyes darting about. Searching for anything that stood out inside the dreary looking house. Casper lay lifeless in a comfortable leather chair nearby...though he wasn't really dead. Cassandra knew a trick or two about subduing other vampires. Break their neck, and they'd be down for several hours. The healing process has to work its magic, and with a normally fatal injury like that, it takes a while.

The first place she moved through was the living room, eyeing the shelves and furniture that it contained as Casper lay draped across the lone single seat in the room. The couch and love seat looked old...dusty. as if they never really saw any use. "You don't get many guests, do you?" she muttered, glancing to the vampire before continuing her inspection. At least the furniture looked sturdy. The coffee table and end tables seemed to be made of a rustic oak, while the two small bookshelves looked to be made of another kind of hardwood. Maple, perhaps. Upon the coffee table sat a clear crystal bowl...an odd fragrance could be detected from it. Cinnamon, which was nice.

Next to the bowl were a few books, though only one was open. A guide to Daristein. Was Casper planning a trip? She eyed the page it was open to and saw mention of the Alchemist's guild. Or perhaps it was a little research he was doing? An old newspaper sat on the right end table, between the couch and the lone chair Casper was in, along with a bowl full of coins. Spare change. They varied in appearance, most coming from various countries around Adonia.

She proceeded over to the book cases, inspecting the shelves and their contents for anything notable. Lots of national guides. Useful for tourists, or those giving jobs to others. Casper was sort of a middle man for those wanting jobs done. Cassandra had been forced to use him when other clients didn't wish to engage in a face to face meeting. She had used some of the books on these shelves herself. Especially ones of Tsavania and the smaller continental nations.

Finding nothing of importance, she turned about and strolled across the room into the adjacent one. A small dining room, with a long wooden dining table with chairs along either side. Only one seemed to see use, at the end facing towards the living room. It was slightly crooked, signifying that it had been used recently. She straightened it, before proceeding on into the next room.

The kitchen...which was perhaps the dustiest room in the house. A few glasses sat in the sink, which were stained with blood. He never reused the same glass, it seemed. Filthy. A large commercial refridgeration unit hummed nearby, taking up most of the wall across from the sink. Inside the four chambers were countless bottles of blood. She hadn't seen many of these new refridgerators before, which used some new sort of gas system to keep things cold. The others she had seen used solid blocks of ice for that. She cocked an eyebrow, eyeing the machine. "My, Casper, you're keeping up with the times."

She strolled through the home once more, heading up the staircase to the next floor. The boards creaked and squeaked, but she had no real reason to care. Casper had been dealt with for now. At the top of the stairs, she saw three doors. One was obviously the bedroom, which she could peer into as the door was adjar. Another one was the bathroom. Inside, a horribly colored tile floor, lavender walls, a clawfoot tub, a simple sink, and a ceramic toilet.

The final door lead to the study. Inside, several bookshelves, file cabinets, and display cases. Two desks, overloaded with papers and books. A gun rack was mounted to the wall, with a shotgun and a bolt-action rifle sitting in it. There was also a large safe, with a revolver siting atop it along with some more papers. If she needed to find something, it would be in here.

She eased into the room, after checking the door for traps. Some liked to rig trip wires or switches to shotguns or other devices, to kill intruders snooping about. Casper didn't seem to worry about that too much, as it looked as though the door and its frame were clear.

As she stepped in, she noticed the faint smell of cigar smoke. Someone had smoked in here recently, and it wasn't Casper. From her encounters with him, she knew he only smoked cigarettes. Interesting. She strolled around the room, looking through the paperwork scattered about. Most of it was technical scribles and drawings. Prepared for use in the field by those about to carry out the job they had been hired to do. Others were simple sheets or dossiers on targets. Businessmen, members of the church and inquisition...royalty and members of national governments. The usual.

She would ooccasionally eye the safe, as she rifled through the papers on the desk and in the file cabinets. Perhaps something particularly special was hidden in there? Locked away behind a simple combination lock. She'd have to check it before she left. She found something interesting in the back of the bottom most drawer in a file cabinet. A folder full of vampire profiles and information, and on the front was a stamped mark. The insignia of the Duke of Grimtham. Ashwood. She narrowed her eyes, before flicling through its contents. Eventually finding a file marked P. Aliker.

She drew it out, tossing the folder on a desk as she read over the papers. The first few paragraphs told her what she already knew. Escarian. Career criminal, conning people out of their money and livelyhood. Probably conned his way into becoming a vampire, though with his House being listed as le Rouge, it certainly didn't seem like he had to con too hard. Started doing it for the blood later...likely turned a few people into vamps in the meantime.

As she continued reading, she noticed that it started to take a bit of a darker turn. Developed a serum with mind altering qualities? She cocked an eyebrow. Apparently he has alchemical training...or is just good with potions and the like. The serum was being eyed by the Duke for potential use, if he had managed to work out a deal with him. It made subjects more open to suggestion and easier to enthrall. She kept reading, flipping through to the next page. Vanished after being hunted down by the Inquisition, and his encounter with Theodore. Presumed dead. Obviously he isn't, thought Cassandra.

She folded the papers up, tucking them into one of the deep pockets of her clothes beneath her cloak, before eyeing the folder. Her own file was in there, her face peering back over the edge of the folder. She reached in and drew it out, glancing over it as well. "Hmm...I'm a Ruthven, eh?" she muttered, as she read through the front page. Didn't matter much to her, really, though it did make her wonder. She opened the folder again, after tucking her own file into her pocket, and searched through the remaining profiles. And soon, she found it.

Mariette Desrosiers' profile. She was curious to see how much the darker parts of vampire society had gathered on her, but now wasn't the best time to read it. She folded it as well, tucking it where the other two were, before looking to the safe one last time. Time to play thief.

She moved over to it, squatting down and pressing her ear to the side. And slowly, she began to decipher the code. Click....click....click. And it was open. She turned the handle, pulling the safe open and revealing the contents. More files...and a few odds and ends. There was an engraved semi-automatic pistol inside, nickle plated with ivory grips. Flashy. And then she saw it. A small vial of a blood she hadn't tasted in three years.

The blood of a Romanov.

She stared at it for a full minute, her eyes wide. The temptation setting in. She missed that delectable flavor...that lovely, lovely taste. The power it brought...intoxicating in the fullest meaning of the word. She reached out for it...but hesitated as her fingertips were centimeters away. She...didn't need this. She never needed it. It had done horrible things to her...driven her completely insane.

She grabbed the vial, gripping it tightly in her fist...before slinging it at the wall nearby and shattering it. No. She would not become that thing again. She straightened up, shutting the safe again. After taking one last glance arouns the study, she turned about and moved towards the door. She'd have to read over the last page of his profile again. Perhaps there were details regarding his possible hideouts or associates. Someone she could find, or somewhere she could look. Anything to get an edge over that feather coated huntress.

But for now...she would disappear into the stormy night.

Last edited:
Xiaòzhou hadn't anticipated the possibility of him being noticed by Cassiel, but it wasn't like he was hiding his aura, so in a way it was inevitable. He was nervous however, as some of the initial 'excitement' following the return to the mortal coil had subsided and not only was he about to meet another person from the previous inquiry, but someone he could feel to be quite mighty.

He cautiously opened the door the remainder of the way and closed it after entering, before making his way over to the angel and the lich.

"H-hello Venerable Cassiel! And, aa," Xiaòzhou tried to find the words, "greetings oh great Lich King Ethraeil! A pleasure it is to meet you, after hearing everything said about you! I was a part of the inquiry sent down to the Abyss, and have to give my thanks for your efforts!" he said slightly nervously, bowing in the usual Upper Redonian fashion.

He recalled briefly how he had approached Velin when he had the chance to meet her the first time, and how he wasn't as nervous in speech; in contrast to such a practically-mythical figure, whom he approached confidently, here he stood trepidatiously in front of someone likely just as old, but ultimately not as powerful. Was the reason the fact that, even if their means were different, they both shared in their paths leading to strength and immortality? Or maybe he had just grown more attached to his current affairs more, and to him, Velin still seemed as distant as she had been when he knew her in the Upper Redonian tellings, whilst Ethraeil was just as tangible as every associated with the past inquiry was, from Weston's pain and Hudson's frustrations with what happened with his wife, to Jakob and Wesley's efforts to look for Valeria, Mariette's wishes for redemption and ultimate acceptance of her fate, and the reunions of the past week? Perhaps it was a mix of both... he wasn't sure.

Last edited:
Ethraeil stayed silent as Valeria was walked off as he couldn't make that promise, not to her of all people. He didn't know if he would even survive this quest, and thus refrained from making an impossible promise. Such things would only lead to more heartbreak, he knew from experience. And so he let her go quietly and watched her be led off by Undite, before Cassiel decided to introduce someone else to the area. If looks could kill, then Ethraeil's gaze would have been more than enough to obliterate Xiaòzhou where he stood as he simply stared beneath him to the Oni before ignoring him entirely and speaking back to Cassiel. "Is there a way to cut short the time needed to get to the far north? My dreadfort is where I'll rebuild my forces to take on Taranoch's."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back