• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Theodore was taken aback by Mariette's actions, he was in the dark to many of the supposed deals and background interactions of the group and as a result he did not expect anything like this, but as a positive it seemed like he wasn't as affected as the others. Despite that, there was still guild over what was said that night in the mansion. That he would have to carry with him for longer it seems. He was very much in doubt that Aleister could be approached about it given the past interactions. Cammile was graceful in social matters as ever. Theodore was about to suggest for her to give up on comedy as it's a dead end street for her, but he bit his tongue. Not the time, nor the place.

The group scattered to different places each tending to their own, Theodore lingered a short few seconds later to say a goodbye and went back towards the inn after Valeria and Ethraeil. The two were busy talking to each other and it seemed that his presence was largely unnoticed. He was content with not speaking with others about it, since he wouldn't have anything to contribute to conversations. Until he heard something from the lich as he passed them by. He froze in place staring into the ground for a second. He blinked rapidly, thinking he misheard something at first, but years of listening to murmurs in lecture halls were at odds with his willful denial.

"Promise about what, Ethraeil?" The professor broke his silence. "Because I fear you failed to take a small consideration into your calculations."

Valeria sighed as Theodore spoke up. Of course he was there. How did they miss him? His short stature? "I was going to save this for when everyone was gathered together, but since you've asked..." said Valeria, pausing for a moment and turning to face Theodore. "...To start from the beginning, before we rescued Jakob in the swamp...the night that you and Aleister had your argument...Sazak came to me in a dream. We had a conversation and he explained to me what it was that the Duke had in his possession, as well as what weapon could stop him. He also explained that said weapon had been hidden for several centuries and that no one...not even the Church scholars...knew where it had been hidden. Or that it even existed, since it had been wiped from records."

Valeria then motioned to the executioner's sword, which she was still carrying on her shoulder. "Velin's executioner blade. He made me a deal...he would tell me exactly where it is, and would grant me the knowledge to use it...in exchange for my body and soul after I slay the Duke. Now...I planned to tell you this. I was going to tell you all this. Ethraeil knows because I told him after we found the sword and I gave him his freedom back. I made him promise to me that he would kill me the second that we killed the Duke. I want all of you to kill me. I don't want Sazak close to this weapon, or the ring, so it must be done. The world will be safe, and you can take the sword and ring back to the church for them to hide it once more. I will take my place in the Abyss...where I belong for making such a deal."

She then glanced to Ethraeil, before looking back to Theodore. "...Apparently Sazak spoke to Mariette, and made a deal with her too. He promised her power beyond even what Cassandra had back at the mansion, and a kingdom of her own, in exchange for making sure that none of you kill me when we kill the Duke. Mariette made the deal, but realized her mistake and killed herself back there...She's likely going to the Abyss for what she did."

Last edited:
After stepping out of the Clinic, Wesley put his scarf and hood back on and stuck around the shade, Morning was approaching fast. After a walking around for a bit, he came back to the clinic and he saw Valeria, Rose, Galina and Mariette. Wesley was about to wave at them but suddenly he stopped when he heard Rosanna’s plea.

A few seconds later, it happened. The Sun was fully up and Mariette lodged the rapier into a gap and started to burn. Wesley stood by shocked of what happened, in the corner of his eye he can see Aleister yelling at them to pull her out of the sunlight, but to no avail. Seconds go by, Mariette was gone with ashes and her burnt clothes remain. Aleister took off towards the inn while Rosanna passed by Wesley, not even uttering a single word to him.

He slowly walked near to where the gruesome scene happened and looked over the remains of what was once Marriete Dosrosiers, The Countress of La Cygne, well Former Countress. Passing by Valeria. He put his hand on Galina’s shoulder.

“Lets… get back to the Inn, we’ll talk about this there..”

Galina glanced at Rosanna as she made her plea. Before she could ask why Galina felt it. Death. The Queen of Whispers, invisible to everyone but Galina, passed by Mariette and wailed. Then the countess stepped out into the sunlight and anchored herself into the ground.

Galina could do nothing but watch. This was Mariette's choice. Streams of tears ran along her cheeks as she watched the vampire turn into ash.

For several minutes she just stood there, watching the ash. Her train of thought was broken by Wesley placing a hand on her shoulder. Instinctively she wanted to slap him and tell the man to leave her alone.

She did none of it. Instead she nodded and wiped the tears out of her face. "Let's go," she said to Wesley while motioning for him to lead the way.

Theodore placed his palm right over his eyes. He couldn't actually believe this. He pegged her for a fool, but this?

"Oh, you fool." He spoke with a hint of anger in his voice, still maintaining a low tone as to not be heard from others "Well, you'd the far from the first inquisitor to make deals with creatures from the abyss. You're just grossly incompetent." He looked at the lich for a second "You, she's now using to make up for her own mess. Granting you freedom in a last ditch effort to compensate her soul for striking a deal with the demon. An upgrade from using your own guilt and wish to atone instead of her own, but you will have your freedom at the end. About the only good thing to come out of this." He shifted back to Valeria "I heard you speak about me as if I was committing to a life of sin that night, inquisitor. This only makes your crimes worse in hindsight. Willing to wheel out judgement of actions not committed while you yourself fell for the temptations. Were I more devout I'd be calling for your head on a pike right now."

That was enough chastising. Whatever anger and fury he felt it was going to do nothing. He got his point across and she was already miserable after all of this. He didn't hate her. He hated the creature that was now making its nest inside of her. If he was going to kill her after, then the only solace he would find is ridding her mortal coil of that thing. The souls was something someone else would have to take care of.

"I will omit this out of my report when the time comes." He said to her, now more calm "Both for your sake and for the sake of your mentor. The archives wont remember you for...this. As for the creature inhabiting your mind currently, he can spare us any threats. Were they any effective, he wouldn't need to make the deals he does."

"You may not be concerned with the philosophy... but I am," Aleister sighed. "As for Mariette, I doubt she would count me as... a friend, but... still... I...."

He shook his head again and waved weakly as Camille left. "I'll fix your arm in the morning as best I can," he spoke after her. Once she was gone, he fell back onto the bed in silence, staring up at the ceiling. What a terrible day.

He's adorable. Valeria nodded. "Thank you. I'd rather spare Father Weston of any shame related to me." she said softly. She then turned about, and continued the walk towards the inn. Not much farther now.

They would arrive a few minutes later, stepping inside and finding Camille sitting at a table by herself. Rosanna and Aleister were nowhere to be found, so it was assumed they were upstairs. As they entered and dispersed for the time being, Tariun stepped over and sat down next to Camille. In front of her, Tariun placed a small bottle containing a red liquid. Really no bigger than a shot glass. "Drink. It will numb the pain in your arm till your vampiric priest friend can mend it. A special brew I acquire from the local apothecary from time to time. I give it to the dock workers after accidents."

Camille quirked a brow at the liquid being presented to her, looking at Tauriun with a coy expression on her face soon after. "The pain is quite numb, though in the sense that it is dull and constant rather than completely subsided." she admits. Squinting at the glass she was completely put off by its deep red color, hesitation clear on her face before she started to mentally block out the idea of drinking it entirely. "Given that I'm not entirely sure what it is, I am afraid I shall pass mademoiselle. I can get by, as I have dealt with pain far worse than this."

Last edited:
"Alright..." said Tariun, taking the bottle back and tucking it into a pocket on her vest. "Should you need it, just ask. Its on the house." She then sat back in her chair, looking Camille over before glancing to Valeria, whom was looking around the room. She was new to the tavern, but she could tell that Valeria was with the inquiry group. She could also detect the stench of Sazak all over her. "...Another soul falls to one of the mighty Princes of the Abyss." she muttered to herself, looking back down at the table.

"Much appreciated. I'll ask if it becomes unbearable." she replies, only to turn her gaze to Valeria as well. Camille's expression remains quite neutral, though somewhat pained as she rests her left arm on the table. "... I am hesitant to call a body-stealing coward mighty, but I am sure a mere mortal such as myself knows nothing of the Abyss." the huntress admits.

"I have found Witlock to be incompetent so far, yet I am conflicted in her dealing with Sazak. A choice such as that may be only made in desperation, and despite whatever contingency she is planning - he will hold Velin's blade when our task is done." Camille says softly, her eyes staring down at the wood grain of the table before her now. "A terrible choice that sacrifices oneself for the greater good, yet also allowing another evil to spawn. Had I been in her position, I do not know what I would have done. Perhaps held on to my own ideals, fight the Duke as I am... I would possibly fail, but if he runs rampant and erases us from existence - would that be succeeding?"

"...Sazak preys on desperation. Most of the Princes do, but Sazak especially." responded Tariun. "I know Sazak personally...and I loathe him. As for Witlock's situation...I'm sure she wouldn't have done it if there was another way. Deals with demons are serious. There's also the possibility that Sazak gave her no other option but to take the deal." Tariun straightened up, tilting her head a bit as she gazed at Valeria once more. "The Duke is like any ordinary power craving man. If you lost to him, someone else would eventually come along and end him. Likely lead by Sazak. Then Sazak would still get his hands on the sword and ring."

She looked to Camille. "Sazak...loves to plan things out. And its likely that this current plan he has going has been in the works for centuries. It wouldn't hurt him to plan a little longer. And he won't stop till he gets what he wants. His ego won't let him. He's the Prince of Vainglory after all."

Last edited:
She doesn't look up from the table as Tariun says her piece, the conclusions she drew quite in line with her own despite how angry the situation made her. Despite how... passionate the Marquess could be she was far from an illogical person. "That is precisely why I won't lose." As she says that she raises her eyes back up to the demon, hand balling into a fist. "I care too much for the world to let some deranged vampire or entitled demon stake their claws through it."

"If his ego won't let him stop, I'll just have to find a way to stop him myself."

Tariun's expression didn't change, but she did stand from where she was sitting. "You can try...if you want to know how that normally turns out, ask your Lich friend." she said, motioning to Ethraeil nearby. "He knows all too well." After that final statement, she was gone. Back to the bar, where the kobale seemed to inquire with her about something.

Ethraeil stayed silent as Theodore went about on his rant to Valeria. Understandably, Theodore was angry over what had transpired but offered an unexpected kindness by promising not to tell what she had done. So far so good in terms of people's reactions towards Valeria's deal, so perhaps there was a chance that this would not tear the Inquiry apart before they got to defeat the Duke. As they entered the bar, Ethraeil took a seat at the far end of the bar and stayed idle as he twiddled his finger bones around and stared at the counter.

The group took their time to recuperate, relaxing for the day before getting some sleep. The next morning, Aleister healed Camille's arm, and the group gathered together in the lobby. It was empty this early in the morning, with the kobale simply cleaning the bar with a cloth while Tariun played the piano quietly at the other end of the bar. They all sat at a few tables while Valeria stood up before them. "I wanted to gather you all together to fill you in on some details before we move forward in this inquiry. These details are important...as it concerns my fate as well as the fate of the sword and ring once the duke is dead." she started, before eventually going into the same thing she explained to Theodore the previous day.

She explained the deal that she made with Sazak regarding the sword, as well as the preparations that she made with Ethraeil regarding her death after they slew the Duke. She also included the deal that Mariette had made with Sazak regarding keeping her alive. "...I don't want Sazak to get his hands on the sword or the ring. Who knows what he plans to do with them, and I don't want to find out. That's why you all must help Ethraeil kill me once the Duke dies...I hope you understand...there was no other way." She then looked among those sitting before her. "I'm sorry for this. I'm sorry for everything."

Aleister remained utterly silent, his eyes held on Valeria with a cold intensity. This was a farce of momentous proportions. His grief had cooled over yesterday and through the night while he rested and returned his room to a... moderately orderly environment again, but this was so unexpected and ridiculous that he simply could feel nothing but anger now.

He held his hands in his lap, fingers intertwined with each other. He did so to prevent himself from snapping the table into pieces as he had with the desk in his room. Gone were the days where he could find humor in annoyances.

"Of all times," he said slowly with great enunciation, "to reveal this absurdity, you choose now. You disgust me. You are supposed to be an inquisitor to protect this world, and you couldn't even... reveal this to your associates when it happened. You wait. And wait. And wait. Until now. When we stand on the precipice, where either we will succeed or we will not."

There was a moderate cracking sound as he involuntarily snapped a couple of his own fingers, face struggling to stay straight from his rising fury.

"Anyone else? Hmm? Anyone else have more absurdity they wish to pour onto this circus of disbelief? Anyone more secret deals with demons? Perhaps spies of the Duke, hmm? If this situation wasn't so dire I would..." he paused. "I won't even bring that thought to voice."

"I have more cause than most to hate Sazak. And when I first learned of this I also was dumbfounded." Ethraeil stated to Aleister. "And yet, I understood why she would do something like this. i was once also in a place of desperation, I've been in her shoes. To win this fight, we need the sword. And we never would have gotten it had she not taken this sacrifice."

"Rage all you want, but this is the truth. And nothing changes that now."

"Would you have rather she told you immediately after the deal was struck?" said Tariun, from across the room. The piano music stopped. "Would it have changed anything?" The demon stood from the grand piano, taking up her small formal cane as she turned about. She tucked it under her arm as she strolled over towards them. "If she hadn't taken the deal, its highly likely Sazak would have killed her in her sleep, and found another way to get the ring and sword. And you all would die at the hands of the Duke...and Sazak would get his hands on the items anyway."

Rosanna was quiet. She had been quiet since after her statements to Camille. She sat at a table alone near the group, staring down into a glass of whiskey. She was still listening however, and this was all making her feel worse. Mariette was dead because of Valeria. I don't see why we care so much for these people. Should just kill them all.

"This is the truth? How convenient," Aleister snarls, turning to look at the lich. "How do I know that this isn't all going according to plan. Our inquisitor is compromised with a deal with a demon - one you are familiar with, as well, to make the situation all the more deplorably marvelous. I'm sure that would make a great story to hear once we are all dead and burning with eternity to face. Don't presume to lecture me from a place of superiority on what is and is not the truth when you've already fallen before, perhaps fallen the worst out of anyone here, including the Countess. A lich," he practically spits the word. "Ridiculous."

"I look around me and what do I see? A spider web. We've already lost one, and now we plan to lose another. What else hides in this cosmic web? A demon stands in our midst and may as well have been working alongside us from the very beginning."

When Tariun finally spoke up, Aleister snorted and fixed the woman with a glare. "I don't even know who you are. What secrets do you hide for us? Regardless, lets save that for dessert, shall we? Yes, it would have changed alot. We could take the puppet-master into account. Now we're nearing the end of our journey and there is no telling what is and is not supposed to be happening."

"I am Tariun. One of the chosen hands of the true ruler of the Abyss, Kaizen. May he sleep eternal in the Wall. I am one of the Ascended, and you'd do well to show me the proper respect. I may be the nicest demon you will ever have the chance to meet, vampire." stated Tariun, walking up and stopping in front of Aleister. Glaring down at him with the typical yellow orbs of a demon's eyes. "You knowing that she had made a deal with Sazak would have changed nothing. You have already gone against the grain regarding Sazak's plans. Mariette, the vampiric countess, is dead. She was supposed to protect the inquisitor from death. Paranoia and distrust will not help you in the slightest, priest."

"Chosen hand of the true ruler Kaizen? An ascended demon? Oh, how marvelous! Splendid!" Aleister mocked, clapping his hands. "Hurrah for you!"

His face quickly broke into a snarl as he bared his fangs, and he stood from his chair and slammed his hand down on the table. "Idiocy! Utter, compounded, irresolute idiocy!"

"You want respect? Then earn it from me, bitch," he growled. He jabbed a finger towards her. "You say we went against the grain of Sazak's plan, but thats not how I see it. I see Sazak having killed a member of this inquiry without so much as raising a hand. A few words, a waylaid and guilty mind, and then a suicide. That is what I see. If Sazak can kill us without so much as doing anything but simply... simply existing! Then we were already defeated the moment this inquiry began."

Camille had sat herself directly in front of Valeria, but as the deal was explained to her she merely inspected the range of motion that her arm had. She cared little for the exchanges that were taking place at the moment, choosing to stay quiet on the matter which may have come to the surprise of the vast majority of the people in the room. Still, the huntress looked to Aleister as he was growing angrier and angrier, shaking her head solemnly before resting her arm on the table. Nothing more for it, best to move on and let him seethe in the corner.

"I am not concerned with deception or other such nonsense. Our biggest concern should be how this plan is going to work." she states, shifting in her seat slightly. "Despite the noble choice that Valeria has planned it is still one that is ill-prepared. No matter how the battle with the Duke goes - she will still hold the sword as the demon closes the deal." Camille starts, stating the obvious. "Are we then expected to best a demon in combat, who is now wielding a sword that could now erase us from existence with but a single stroke?"

"As with all of your plans, Valeria, this one is rife with incompetence and short-sighted thinking. You not only ask us to lay down our lives but our immortal souls in this terrible gambit. Were the world not doomed by my own inaction, I would stab you through the heart myself." the huntress states flatly.

"And even now, I am certain that our gracious benefactor is hearing the plan we are crafting through Witlock's ears." she wagers, soon looking to Tariun. "So I suppose much of this discussion is pointless then, right? If Sazak is so powerful and man is so frail and weak, are we to lay down and die?"

Tariun went to speak, but stopped when Valeria spoke. "...Go home, Aleister." she said. "...Just go home. You're free to leave. I won't stop you. You've suffered enough because of me, and I won't force you to suffer anymore."

Then Camille spoke up. Valeria's answer was simple. "...you all plan it. If I don't hear it, he doesn't hear it. Leave me in the dark, and when it comes...it comes." she stated, looking to Camille. "I...I don't care how its done as long as I'm dead in the end."

"Damn you, Valeria. Damn you. I'm going no where!" He shouted, slamming his fist on the table once more as an exclamation. "I won't damn the innocents of this world to death because of the gross incompetence at play here. If Sazak plays a fiddle to make us dance, then I'll shove the bloody thing down its fucking throat. I..."

He hesitated, the look in his eyes growing even darker and more hooded. "Is that your idea, or is that Sazak's? Get rid of another member of the inquiry just like that, hmm? No. No, no. I won't have it. I'll kill that fucking demon myself if I have to."

"...It was mine, Aleister." Valeria said, her voice bearing a softer tone. She then looked to the others. "...Did any of you find anything in the Estate while you were searching for the sword? Anything that could give us a clue as to where the Duke was heading?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back