• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
"I mistook you for an oracle when you are really just a blind man!" Aleister laughed haughtily. This man was far more foolish than he originally thought. It was one thing that the scholar was a miserable quack without boundaries, but for Theodore to think he was a hypocrite for tolerating the lich - whose company he had no say in - was as annoying as it was amusing.

Even as Theodore said he was ending the conversation, Aleister wasn't, not until the man was simply too far away to even speak with.

"If you think I have no issues with the lich, then you are as naive as a new born babe. I've not once swayed from my position, even as you craft these delirious ideas in your head. Perhaps your helmet is on too tight, monsieur," he chuckled again. "Yet even then there is a key difference between the lich and your desire for necromancy. The lich repents for his abhorrent sins everyday. You simply wish to parade with yours."

Of all the idiots in this group, he leads them all, Aleister thought as he watched the man leave. It seemed this inquiry had recruited the patron saints of all the idiocies in the world. Camille, a woman of unbound hated, Erwin, not far off, and Theodore... whatever he was to be considered. Of course, there was the lich, another miserable bastard who at least appeared to regret his life of sin. Mariette was the only one here who he could consider to be a two-faced nightstalker. Jakob, Rosanna, and Valeria were the only ones who could even be considered good, or normal. He knew little of the others to have much of an opinion on them.

Wesley flinched a little when Cassandra went on her dialogue about strengths and weaknesses of being a vampire. although calm, a lot of emotions were going through Wesley's mind. it was already obvious that he can't escape out of this situation by simply saying "no". it was either turning into a vampire or be thrown in a cage and be hunted down by Werewolves.

Wesley has made pretty hard decisions before. picking up vampire hunting during his first few weeks for him was hard work. and he deserves all the credit for getting this far as a rookie. but now. it was something different. Being a Vampire. The creatures of the night that he'd sworn to slay.

Wesley was quiet at first. thinking of any response... to weigh the pros and cons thats being presented to him. he then looked back to Cassandra and saw her faint tears in her eyes. she was crying because of Joy. The joy of having someone she cares about; accepting her and making new memories to replace the ones she had lost so many years ago.

To Wesley. he can see the benefits of becoming a vampire. He doesn't have much to lose. other than his own Humanity. and he can learn more about Cassandra and the plans being laid out. and maybe, just maybe. he can pull Cassandra from being an enemy to the Inquiry. To being a valuable ally.

"I...

Sometimes. In order to survive...
"... accept your offer. Turn me."

You have to make a hard decision.

Last edited:
Mariette watched the whole exchange in silence, groggily shaking off the fog of sleep while trying to discern what was going on. The two men had tactfully avoided mentioning what the heart of the argument was based on, aside from the practice of necromancy. At first she assumed they were in disagreement over Ethraeil's methods, but it quickly became obvious that they were speaking about Theodore, who, 'at a time of high stress and uncertainty,' proposed using necromancy for... something, and Aleister had apparently threatened to break his arms over the affair. For what purpose would Theodore want to use necromancy? Was he not a man of science? And why would Aleister react so strongly when he had tolerated Ethraeil for so long?

The only clue was Theodore's mention of a moment in crisis. Unless something serious had taken place while she was sleeping, the two were discussing the battle at the manor, since nothing of the sort had happened since then. Mariette could reasonably assume that nothing transpired in the last few hours, based mainly on Aleister's mocking tone. Suddenly, she began to put the pieces together: if Theodore had proposed necromancy, it was for the purposes of reviving the dead. And if Aleister had reacted so strongly, it was not just anyone Theodore sought to revive. It would have been someone they knew, and only one person they both knew had been "dead" recently.

"Aleister," she said calmly, "this has something to do with me, doesn't it?"

Tears streamed down Cassandra's face as she smiled wide and hugged Wesley. "...Y-You have no idea how...just how happy you've made me!" she said, clutching him tightly for a few moments, before releasing him. She wiped her face quickly, before her eyes shifted to their vampiric red and fangs poked out from under her upper lip. "A-Alright...uhm...the bite will feel painful at first. It'll take about a day or two for the change to complete, and it will hurt throughout the change. Remember, now...stay out of the sunlight!" she said, moving in closer to him.

She reached up and gently tilted his head to the side, moving in towards his neck. And a moment later, her teeth sank into Wesley's neck. It was just as she said. It hurt only for a moment, then felt rather strange. It'd probably have felt worse if he had resisted, but he didn't. A minute later, she released him, pulling her fangs from his neck and sitting back. Blood stained her mouth and chin, which she didn't bother wiping away. Instead, she reached beneath her cloak and drew out a handkerchief, which she handed to him with a smile. From start to finish, I've made you feel this. Uncomfort, in turn, with the world you've learned. To love through this hate, to live with its weight, a burden discerned in the blood you taste.

Last edited:
Ethraeil had been half-aware of the distant conversation, especially the fragments that seemed to involve him. However he did not stir from his position as it did not bother him. Rather, he continued to stay on silent vigil on the fallen trunk he sat upon.

Wesley grunted when he felt Cassandra's fangs penetrate into his neck. like she said. The bite will only feel painful at first. this is probably the longest time that Wesley has been this close to one of the creatures of the night. after Cassandra retracted her fangs from his neck and handed him her handkerchief, he immediately took it as his blood flowed down his neck and stained his collar. Wesley looked at Cassandra who smiled at him and decided to return her smile with his own.

"It's a start. I guess."

"A wonderful start, at that!" she said, with glee. She sat back a bit. "I'll take care of you during the change, don't worry. If you need anything, just ask! I have plenty of blood to spare!"

-------

Deep inside the swamp, a ways away from where the inquiry group was camped out, the soldiers of Colonel Wallace moved about their own camp. Tents were being tended to, soldiers fed themselves, some even talked or sang songs. Meanwhile, nearby in the back of the wagon, Jakob and Erwin still sat. They lacked their sack hoods, however. They could easily tell where everyone was, and where they themselves were. A dark swamp, with irritating bugs and strange sounds in the dark. The soldiers didn't seem to be worried however.

From what one soldier had told them a little while prior, they would be released into the swamp the next day for a little 'hunt'. Which likely meant that they would be hunted by the soldiers themselves in their werewolf forms. They were told they would also be given firearms and blades to defend themselves, as it wouldn't be fun without a bit of a challenge. For now, they just had to wait. Wait and plan, or wait and pray. Whichever made them feel better about the whole situation.

Erwin had been quiet ever since his discussion with Jakob earlier. He had bot even spoken a word as they ate, but as he looked out from the wagon at their surroundings, he turned his head and spit on the floor.

"I fucking hate swamps" he growled as he continied to survey the campsite and its occupants.

Jakob had been quiet as well after the talk he shared with Erwin. He had taken the time to come to peace with his upcoming ordeal. If he was going to die, he was gonna die fighting. When the duo was fed by the soldiers, Jakob made it clear that these soldiers wouldn't spend a pleasant night, singing at the top of his lungs songs from Southern Atraca. "Oh my darlin, oh my darlin, oh my darlin, Clementine! You are gone and lost forever, awful sorry, Clementine!" He kept smiling despite the looks of anger he was getting from the traitorous fiends. At one point, he stopped singing to look towards Erwin after his comment about swamps.

"Is there something you DON'T hate, Van Cleef?" he asked, jokingly. "Listen, these idiots want to make their hunt more interesting. Fine! This only gives us a better chance at surviving this." He cleared his throat. "We have a chance of getting out, we can't waste it. You'll have land to get back to!" he said, with a big smile on his face.

Aleister shifted his gaze away from the departing Theodore towards Mariette, wondering briefly if he should tell all of it to her or not. She of course heard the conversation or at least most of it, but he didn't particularly want her stirring up trouble if she took to the information too poorly.

"When you were beheaded, Theodore and Erwin took some liberties on your body that were less than decent. They saw you as a bit of a science experiment and treasure to be looted. At some point, Theodore wanted to reanimate your head to get you to divulge your secrets to us regarding the Duke and what not, though I of course already told them what you had to me at the staircase that night. As I said to Theodore, I do not condone necromancy. I have no say over Ethraeil because he is an undead lich owned by the Church, and controlled by the inquisitor. At the very least, he seems to pay for his sins every day with his tortured existence. To repent is a step in the proper direction. Theodore, on the other hand, was like a giddy child at the prospect. It doesn't surprise me he fails to see the difference between a practicing lich and himself when it comes to necromancy. Only one can I control."

Erwin turned to Jakob as he adressed him.
"As a matter of fact, Jakob, there is one thing I don't happen to hate at the moment. And that thing is you." He said with a faux smile that quickly disappeared, "If you'd be able to keep that mouth of yours shut from time to time."

His face then took on a more neutral expression as he sighed and looked back towards the camp.
"There might have been a passing mention to you about my expertise, which happens to be werewolves. But...". Erwin turned his attention back to Jakob, "We're in a swamp, which is has it's benefits to both us and them. However, there is more of them and neither of us know the lay of the land. We're gonna have to use all our wits to make it out."

Erwin then leaned back and narrowed his eyes. "Lastly, this conversation we had earlier was in confidence, should we indeed parish in the coming days. You breath as much as a word of this to anyone before I have that land, they'll have to place your funeral bouquet at the monument of the missing."

"Do we understand each other, Jakob?"

"Charming as always, brother." said Jakob, as he flashed Erwin a big smile. "Listen, I've been threatened by the best out there. I'm a constable, remember?" He shrugged, and kept smiling. "You have my word that nobody will know your name. As far as I'm aware, the laws of Daristein don't apply in Atraca." He gave Erwin a wink, then looked back to the encampment. "I've fought in bog-like conditions. Certainly not a swamp, but I'm no stranger to getting my feet stuck in mud. We need a plan things carefully when we're out there. Look at our surroundings, ensure we have some advantages." He looked to Erwin and smiled again. "Do you think the others are fine? I hope Camille and Mariette aren't at each other's throats. I know Valeria and Rosanna can keep things under control, but since Mariette was...acting strange when we entered the kitchen, I'm sure Camille is looking for an excuse to kill the Countess."

Her suspicion confirmed, Mariette was disgusted. Not only had these people been ready to kill her at the first sign of disloyalty, which she had already come to expect, but at least one of them was willing to take it further, to a fate worse than death. Apparently, Theodore wanted to have her head reanimated into some kind of talking curiosity, even after Aleister shared what Mariette knew. There was little reason to do such a reprehensible thing aside from the spectacle. Aleister is right. Theodore is nothing short of deplorable and worthy of the lowest bowels of Hell.

"How... dare... he," Mariette spat, her mind wheeling at the offense. "Just when I think these so-called inquisitors couldn't sink any lower in their practices, I have a whole new horror to contemplate. Aleister, thank you for intervening and preventing that madman from defiling my soul. He'll have a taste of his own misdeeds, I do believe, just not tonight..."

Erwin looked at Jakob for a while, subtly annoyed how one man could smile so much.
"After everything that happened at the manor, I'd not be surprised if they're on the verge of tearing each other to shreds... At least for as long as that preacher draws breath." He said as he looked from Jakob to the swamp and back, "He's been nothing but trouble, and sooner or later his supposed divine authority is going to get us killed. Should such a event appear on the horizon, we need to ensure he meets his saints before we do "

Jakob listened to Erwin, his suggestion to kill Aleister falling on deaf ears. Jakob still actually cared about the priest. "Or maybe you're too focused in seeing the negative qualities rather than the positive ones. He's a priest, and thus can perform divine magics. As well as enchant our weaponry and tools. Besides, I think he's a nice person deep down....he's just...complicated. But nowhere near as complicated as the Countess." He looked away, but maintained his smile. "I don't fully understand both vampires...but I can see that they're at least trying to be helpful. I know Aleister is at least. But beyond his airs of superiority and dandy attitudes, I can see he's a man of faith and kindness." He looked back to Erwin, trying to think of what to say next. "...He's misunderstood. Its easy to label someone as an annoyance or potential threat when blinded by anger. You are also labeled easy too. To many you're just a brigand...but from what you've told me, there's a lot more to it than just that."

"Indeed," he said neutrally, letting the word be drawn out a little longer. He knew Mariette wouldn't like the information. Probably no one would want to here that someone was wanting to reanimate their severed head. It was as sinful as it was disgusting and creepy. However, he noticed where her words seemed to lead off towards....

"He is quite a delirious little rodent, that is certain, but I would advise against pursuing any sort of action that may hasten his... divine chastisement. Be it actively or indirectly. While his suggestion back then was ridiculous, it was still only that... a suggestion. It can be difficult at times to fully penalize one for thoughts or a suggestion when they aren't acted upon, but there does still remain some fault for voicing such filth as he did."

"Regardless, do not think too poorly of most of the group. You owe a great deal of thanks to the constable, because he backed me up on the situation. He went so far as to draw his pistol and was at ends with that brute, Erwin, over the matter. The lich seemed fairly remorseful for his actions, as accidental as they were, and it was ultimately the inquisitor's call that salvaged the situation. Valeria was the one who gave the order to revive you, after all."

"Of course, the constable is a true gentleman, and I've already forgiven Ethraeil for his attack, given the circumstances," Mariette replied blandly to Aleister's attempt to keep the situation civil. She laid on her back on top of her bedroll and crossed one leg over the other as she looked up at him. "However, the good of some can't make me overlook the evil in the others," she contended. "I came here to try to foster understanding with these brutes, but the reality of their depravity is beyond my means to overcome. I'm no saint, as you've clearly already seen, monsieur, but I'm the best that the vampires of Chalmette Florissant could send. The goal was to keep little Giguere away from our lands, but now that I'm a pureblood, there's no reason to bother speaking to her or any of these other fools any longer. If she comes to my neck of the woods, per say, I'll end her so quickly that she won't have time to reflect on her mistakes. But until this Duke Ashwood is taken care of, I can't resume my personal life. That man and his followers are in need of a swift death."

There was a long pause before Mariette added, "and I can retaliate without laying a finger on the, er, 'rodent,' as you called him."

Last edited:
"I see," Aleister said simply. He wasn't so certain that Mariette wouldn't make another attempt on Camille's life again at some point, be it real or pretend. She was a pureblood now after all, and she didn't strike him as one to wait for Camille to show up at her doorstep to take action. It wouldn't be so surprising if Mariette eventually took out those who were bothering her. She had the power to do so fairly easily.

"Regardless... my point stands. Aside from that, hopefully we can handle the Duke soon and without much trouble. He is a menace that needs to be put down quickly. That ring of his could be put to so much better use, but ultimately it should probably be hidden away again... if not destroyed entirely." But not before I can be a pureblood, too, he added mentally.

Mariette nodded, and for a while she sat quietly with a strange half-smile on her face. Finally she spoke up again, disturbingly calm for what she was asking: "Aleister... did you agree with Mademoiselle Valeria? Or did you want me to stay dead?"

The priest was quiet for a moment, his gaze barely wavering as he propped his head up on his hand as he lay on his side, rather than loom over the side of the carriage as he had been.

"I did not expect them to revive you, so I was already prepared to bury you. Given the circumstances, you probably would be buried somewhere around here if that is how it went, until in time, you could be moved back to Escaria safely," he explained plainly. "Your revival was entirely up to the inquisitor, so I had resigned myself to what I had expected. Given all that had transpired, I did not think a single person save perhaps the constable would support your resurrection. So if you are asking if I made a position to revive you, then the answer is no. That said, the passing of any vampire is always a sad occasion, especially one so venerable. I have no particular qualms with resurrection, as it is distinct from necromancy in that one's soul remains their own and not under a puppet master. I think the inquisitor made the right call."

Death was an entirely too permanent situation, even with the hopes of a pleasant afterlife. Mariette staying dead after being beheaded may have, in a way, served as a lesson for her rash behavior... but perhaps it would have been far too harsh a lesson. Admittedly, it was rather shocking. He did resign himself to burying her, and in a way, it was disorienting to have her resurrected after that. It seemed certain to him that she would have remained dead.

"There are a number of people I wish dead, mademoiselle. You are not among that list."

"I do apologize about it all, Countess. Especially your hair, since Erwin found it acceptable to give you a minor haircut prior to giving me your head." said Valeria aloud, from where she was still sitting. "As for necromancy, it is heavily frowned upon by the Order as well as the Church. The only reason Ethraeil is still alive is because the Church wills it, as he repents for his actions during the Age of Darkness. I shall speak to Theodore about his disturbing suggestion when we have Erwin and Jakob back with us."

Last edited:
Aleister knew how it sounded, but he wouldn't lay on icing for a situation of this nature. In part, it was a warning to her. He sympathized with her desires for a safe haven for vampires over boorish mortals, yet her actions at the manor were truly upsetting to him. Her insistence on drinking the Romanov blood, the request for him to do the same, rushing - almost literally - to the arms of the enemy for a boon, and the entire theatrical stunt with Camille was a souring chain of events. It was a rather precarious topic to deal with. And, in part... he figured some of his distaste came from her becoming a pureblood. It was hard to say if she would have remained working for the Duke for the 'greater good' had the reward ultimately been better for her. If she had discussed all of this with him, even the others, before she made her ploy, then there would be less... distrust. But now it was hard for him to gauge how she would react in similar situations. When an advantage appeared to her, would she clutch at it without thought?

He couldn't deny the blossom of envy in his heart for her recklessness to result in her ultimately being rewarded. He advised caution and she blazed ahead, and when faced with her consequences, she stepped away better off than before. It was a sort of anti-morality lesson. Did she deserve to be dead? No, no she didn't. But perhaps his tone was the warning she needed to understand that she needed to be careful.

"Indeed," he said again, echoing her response.

The inquisitor spoke up and he gave a slight, silent nod.

Erwin pondered Jakobs reply for a bit before responding himself, "Perhaps it will only be a matter of time before his dear countess sets his priorities straight. Or perhaps you will come to understand that complexity is no mask one can hide behind forever."

He brought his hand up and lightly touched his scar, wincing slightly as he did. "You speak of the preacher and me as if we were two mere cards drawn from the same deck. But events that have transpired in my life has made me understand one thing. Trust is ones most valuable currency, more purer than any number of royal notes. And should he offer us nothing more than cardinal letters of pious promises, I will take my business elsewhere. I've not the blessing of immortality, and thusly I've not his priestly patience and divine clemency. Everlasting life and the chances to make serious mistakes without consequences is something no man's soul should be able to buy."

He looked upon Jakob with a expression rather uncharacteristic for him. Sympathy, or at least some degree of it, "I just hope a man like you can come to these same realizations before misfortune strikes us both."

Galina tilted her notebook and eyed every detail of her sketch. Using gentle strokes and some simple shading Galina had made quite a worthy sketch of Ethraeil sitting on the fallen tree deep in thought.

She got up and approached the lich. "I think it captures your essence fairly well," she said while showing the sketch.

After Ethraeil had seen the sketch Galina closed up her notebook and tucked away her quill and inkwell.
"What's on your mind?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back