• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom His Dark Materials Rp interest

Talathel

Wildlife Conservationist in the Making
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Hi all, so I have been watching the series based off the book trilogy of the Golden Compass and was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing an rp?

Basically , a human tends to have a part of their soul represented as an animal guide - though from what I’ve gathered not many can change forms but there’s a few that can depending on the soul strength.

Love the Northern Lights!! (I think that's the Golden Compass, right?) I'd be super interested! Although how exactly would this work, would we be within Lyra's world and making our own plot and ignoring what's happening there? What would the post limit/expectations be?

Yep you got it in one and honestly - I was more thinking not entirely Lyra’s timeline but a few years after/make our own plot.

Limits wouldn’t be very many honestly: we’d need a Mrs. Coulter or someone similar alongside magesterium and teens/kids, witches, gyptians bears - but otherwise Oc’s are allowed and one daemon per human- only 4-5 would be able to change shape with teens.

Ooo! There's so much potential; gang of gyptian/street children taken by the gobblers at Bolvangor, generally just exploring the Universe or some Magisterium shenanigans or the people in the Cittagazette avoiding the specters

Last edited:
I definitely like the sound of that - you can also have those without parents / maybe have two other who would be related to Lyra in a way as half siblings and ran away from Mrs. Coulter....

Have also been watching the series... just seen the latest episode today.

If you wanted to do a similar-but-different storyline where it's all OCs and no mention to the existing characters... you could have a Mrs Coulter-type figure who takes in children rather thanbeing their literal parent, a kind of adoptive/foster-parent scenario gradually trying to gain the trust of these children she needs for whatever reason. Perhaps who is seen as a kindly figure by everyone, not just those children. And then have several of these children stumble upon their "parent"'s ulterior motives, maybe finding out that they were abducted, if they've been there a long time, and that they've been inadvertently helping the Magisterium. Or they're fully aware and let themselves be fostered to find out what's going on, pretending to be oblivious.
Somewhere between Mrs Coulter's parenting and Bolvangar, I guess.

Maybe instead of north, set it in a different "exploration" location (desert, forest, tropics, ocean atolls) and invent people/creatures that might inhabit that place, or different worlds.

Or just... whatever you're most interested in recreating, finding a way to merge all of that together into something new with potential for lots more characters to join in :v

I also really like that idea too!! Kinda combining the two ideas. I also love the idea of new species and new inhabitants of a country

If we wanted to go that route it could be someone who isn't Magisterium, someone comes in through one of the portals/gateways/citagazette and is trying to find out how the kids have daemons and what they are - could be a way for the kids to discover something is wrong (they have a really small daemon, an insect, that we never see or it's just a small fake butterfly or something like that) If we wanted to go a non-Magisterium experiments route! But if we do want to go with the Magestriruim rotue then; maybe they disagree with Coulters more clinical methods, think that trying to stop dust through the removal of the daemon needs to be a long term process - raising the children for longer and teaching them the right path before intercision. One of the children could be biological, maybe one child is older and is the only one to have survived intercision (although they'd then be somewhat zombie/robot/obedient like, unless they just went through stretching more so than intercision)

The children could discover, some do/don't - maybe we make a prophecy about our characters (Lyra and Will could just not exist in this Universe, instead it's a group of children under the phrophecy.)

Sorry! Really liked y'alls ideas and just wanted to say what popped into my head about those.

Also you both have only seen the show up to series 2 episode 2/3 right? Just so I don't accidentally let anything slip!

yep!!!! I also own the whole first season on DVD.

I am liking the brainstorms happening and thank you for the ideas. My current plot idea on my end was that there are many children - that don't know each other at all - a few from the other side of the gateways, a few from the magesterium and one or two who are taken/foster children of one or the other. The station has been working for those on the other side of the gateways and I definitely think one could be a biological child that had their daemon cut away or even just stretched so they are entirely obedient to their parent. I'd say the two groups meet to figure out after a while that something is wrong when a prophecy is mentioned and all are a part of it - so they try to figure out a way to escape which leads to a chase / journey of their parents and thus you get the drama as the children try to survive and their daemons alongside them. Trying to stay one step ahead of their parents as the adults try to find them so they can read and use the Alethiometer to their advantage and also 'protect' their children in their words when all they are doing is trying to take over the world on the side of the gateway which isn't their own.

Thankfully iPlayer means I don't need the DVDs although I'm still tempted to get them.

And I like it! So could there be two groups of children being kept? The children with daemons and those from Citagazette/another world without? Those with daemons are from a range of places as they're trying to find out what allows for a child to be seperated without dying - Coulter only ever tried street children and so some of them are taken/given up by well to do families, one or two biological? And then the street children/poorer/gyptian/foster children with daemons too.

And then the children without daemons being compared as they're fine without? Or are the two groups of children separate but linked by the prophecy

Should we all make some kind of DM thread or something so it's easier to plot?

Might be easier as I k now you two are interested , there may be more haha. And sorta of - maybe it's the group of kids from the world through the gateway and they end up actually gaining daemons through their journey thus making their parents/those in charge want them even more.

Would this be taking into account the Book of Dust trilogy? Since the second book continues Lyra’s life after the final HDM book?

Don't necessarily know if the others have seen non-show media, maybe edit that?
Oh, sorry! Is part of that a spoiler? I thought I was being careful, whoops ;;

Honestly I'm not sure I'm just paranoid, spoiled the ending to TAS for my friend - was a big mood. Was vaguely concerned about the fact it revealed Lyra had more books but ig that might not be a massive one!!

atm from what I know it's going to be a separate plot from the books/show with original people but I'm not the GM and so I could be wrong! <3

I would like to join. My knowledge is a bit rusty, I read the books years ago, but after watching the new show my love for the series has returned full force!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back