• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Silence Falls (A 1920s Group RP Interest Check) (Always open!)

Evie Maiden Of Apples

Eden Chosen
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
The transition from silent films to talkies in the mid-1920s was a major change for actors, with some finding it difficult to adjust to the new way of making movies. The transition changed the American film industry and mass entertainment, and many silent film stars felt that talking was unnecessary and restricted their ability to perform.

The shift from silent films to talkies was a huge deal for actors in the late 1920s. Many silent film stars found it difficult to “find their voice” and place in this new Hollywood medium, which completely changed the game of on-screen performance.

The year is 1928, and silent film stars are in a major panic. Films with sound have emerged, and are threatening to take the place of silent movies. Many actors and actresses could get away without actually speaking in movies, but now? They are at risk of losing their careers, being replaced by those worthy of taking movies, after years and years of dedication to the craft.

Are you a silent film actor afraid of this new change in glamorous 1920s Hollywood, or are you one that will transition smoothly from Silents to Talkies? Or perhaps you're a movie producer, either too set in their ways and refuse to change to talking pictures, or you're the type to embrace the change and have no qualms about firing even your most dedicated silent actors. Perhaps you're even a newcomer to Hollywood, trying to make it big in the first talking pictures, or you're one of the few who still want to star in a silent role while they still last. Directors, artists, bodyguards, even the mafia - there are so many types of cooky characters you'll meet in Hollywoodland as the Silent Era nears its end.

Rules:
18+ only both in character and out of character
At least two paeagraphs per post
Please post at least once per week.
If you are going to be away and/or unable to post in general, PM me.
Knowledge of 1920s Hollywood and film History a bonus but not required.
Types of roles include: Silent actors and actresses, talkie actors and actresses, newcomers with stars in their eyes who come from all over the country to try and make it big, movie producers, directors, mafia members, and studio guards.
This will be a Literate roleplay.
Discord not required.
There is planned to be a lot of studio scandal and "political intrigue" of sorts. Make friends, make enemies...heck make frenemies, too!
The plot is guided by the characters, what sort of scandal or intrigue can you come up with to rattle Hollywoodland? Will you fight against Talkies with sabotage or embrace them with open arms?
YES you can make up a studio of your own to work for or even own!
YES you can play private detectives/law enforcement/members of the press!
You can play as many characters as you feel comfortable playing!

CS thread is here

OOC thread is here

Last edited:
I literaly just finished watching The Man Who Laughs with Conrad Veidt and Mary Philbin, I'm so down!
Excellent film, heart-wrenching.

My first introduction to Mary Philbin was actually in 1925's Phantom of the Opera which is still my top favorite film of all time, but it's great seeing her and Lon Chaney Sr in other films.

I'll put myself down for potential interest. Time constraints on my end may be an issue.

Hi, I was the user Crimson Pig who asked about being a P.I. I used that account because I was having difficulty getting into my old account which is this one, now that I have it back it'll be what i'll be using.

I love this era of film, though most of my knowledge of it comes from horror films. I do have a character concept, sort of. I would like to make a character partially inspired by Carl Laemmle Jr, the son of the head of Universal Studios who pushed for more talkie films and horror films. Of course it wouldn’t be one to one, as I also have an idea to have him indebted to the mob in some way. But I’m definitely interested in this.

I love this era of film, though most of my knowledge of it comes from horror films. I do have a character concept, sort of. I would like to make a character partially inspired by Carl Laemmle Jr, the son of the head of Universal Studios who pushed for more talkie films and horror films. Of course it wouldn’t be one to one, as I also have an idea to have him indebted to the mob in some way. But I’m definitely interested in this.
This is a fantastic concept and I greatly approve! :D I'm more into the horror films of that era myself admittedly.

Excellent film, heart-wrenching.

My first introduction to Mary Philbin was actually in 1925's Phantom of the Opera which is still my top favorite film of all time, but it's great seeing her and Lon Chaney Sr in other films.
I'm on a Veidt kick. he's so talented,and just a good person in general. anyone who receives hate mail from hitler is a winner in my book. Philbin is brilliant too, I first saw her in Phantom too lol, she most certainly does get typecast a painful amount, but she is very good at the ingenue.

I'm thinking of playing someone like Veidt, but as this is the twenties, rather than being a German who left Germany because of nazi evilness who then proceeds to get cast as nazi bastard in war movies because of the accent, I'm thinking a Russian, or someone eastern European, who gets cast into the soviet femme fatal or suave yet devious bolshevik hardliner type. They're totally not a communist, trust me bro.

I'm on a Veidt kick. he's so talented,and just a good person in general. anyone who receives hate mail from hitler is a winner in my book. Philbin is brilliant too, I first saw her in Phantom too lol, she most certainly does get typecast a painful amount, but she is very good at the ingenue.

I'm thinking of playing someone like Veidt, but as this is the twenties, rather than being a German who left Germany because of nazi evilness who then proceeds to get cast as nazi bastard in war movies because of the accent, I'm thinking a Russian, or someone eastern European, who gets cast into the soviet femme fatal or suave yet devious bolshevik hardliner type. They're totally not a communist, trust me bro.
I'll admit I've yet to see more of Veidt's films and I will certainly get to that soon enough. He and Lon Chaney Sr are real Chads in my opinion. Mary Philbin deserves more love and recognition imo.

I love your idea, I think it would be fantastic to see! Actors and actresses with accents did have a harder time transitioning to talkies, although folks like Bela Lugosi and Greta Garbo were lucky to get talking roles.

I'll admit I've yet to see more of Veidt's films and I will certainly get to that soon enough. He and Lon Chaney Sr are real Chads in my opinion. Mary Philbin deserves more love and recognition imo.

I love your idea, I think it would be fantastic to see! Actors and actresses with accents did have a harder time transitioning to talkies, although folks like Bela Lugosi and Greta Garbo were lucky to get talking roles.
Start with Different from the Others, it's his most infamous roles, and one of his earliest surviving films. The Cabinet of Dr. Calgiri is a classic, one of the best german impressionist films. and for a talkie with him, I recommend Jew Suss, aka the OG Oppenheimer film. make sure not to watch the nazi propaganda piece of trash by the same name.

xenophobia, I hardly know her. I was wondering if I could play two different characters, actually? pre-hayes code cinema was remarkably queer, and I'd love to do a lavender marriage pairing.

Start with Different from the Others, it's his most infamous roles, and one of his earliest surviving films. The Cabinet of Dr. Calgiri is a classic, one of the best german impressionist films. and for a talkie with him, I recommend Jew Suss, aka the OG Oppenheimer film. make sure not to watch the nazi propaganda piece of trash by the same name.

xenophobia, I hardly know her. I was wondering if I could play two different characters, actually? pre-hayes code cinema was remarkably queer, and I'd love to do a lavender marriage pairing.
I have copied and pasted those movie titles into my notebook on my laptop to watch this weekend, thank you for the recommendations! c: I'm always looking to watch new silent films and broaden my horizons.

I laughed irl at the "hardly know her" joke, that was good, lol.

Yes absolutely you can play multiple characters! You can play however many you feel comfortable playing. (Fuck the Hayes Code, all my homies hate the Hayes Code.)

Evie Maiden Of Apples Evie Maiden Of Apples I posted a character in the CS thread. Let me know if anything needs changing. I hope you don’t mind that I created my own studio for him to be a part of rather than having him at an actual studio from history. His back story wouldn’t work otherwise.

Evie Maiden Of Apples Evie Maiden Of Apples I posted a character in the CS thread. Let me know if anything needs changing. I hope you don’t mind that I created my own studio for him to be a part of rather than having him at an actual studio from history. His back story wouldn’t work otherwise.
You're perfectly allowed to make your own studio, there were tons of them back in the day so it works out. :) I'll go take a look!

I’m very interested! I adore silent films! One theater near me plays at least one a month. I try to go as often as I can. :)
I need to find a theater near me that does such a thing, it's such a wonderful and fascinating experience to see them on a movie screen rather than say on tv or youtube lol. You're very lucky to experience that, one day I will hopefully!

I'm sad about how so many of them are lost. The studio fires :(
90% of films made before 1930 are either totally or partially lost and it breaks my heart. Some was because of studio fires and others actually melted the film reels to make actual silver out of them since films did have silver nitrate in them. :closedeyescryingfrown: The things we'll never see.

90% of films made before 1930 are either totally or partially lost and it breaks my heart. Some was because of studio fires and others actually melted the film reels to make actual silver out of them since films did have silver nitrate in them. :closedeyescryingfrown: The things we'll never see.
I'm an information professional so think librarian, archivist, etc. Just imagine how this makes me feel when I'm in a profession that is literally all about preserving information and making it accessible to people 😭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back