Viewpoint Hello

We have a number of RPers here quite a bit older even than 35 ^;3^ My personal opinion is that one is never too old to RP.

Hello do you think 29 years old is too old to rp or a role player could play until they are like 35?

Wow thirty five ... that's so old. cries in over-35-ese.

You're never to old to RP or enjoy any other hobby or fandom. It surprises me when young people (not saying you, OP, but I've seen this a lot before) expect everyone to suddenly forget they had hobbies/interests/a personality once they hit 25+

Yes, some hobbies can last for a lifetime and I don't see why roleplaying can't be one of them.

Wow thirty five ... that's so old. cries in over-35-ese.

You're never to old to RP or enjoy any other hobby or fandom. It surprises me when young people (not saying you, OP, but I've seen this a lot before) expect everyone to suddenly forget they had hobbies/interests/a personality once they hit 25+

A lot of young people just expect people 25+ to be "grown up" and while yeah we have more personal responsibilities with work, paying the bills, etc. we're still people with our own interests. Part of being adult is balancing all those things and living your best life.

Honestly there's no age requirement or limit to tell and enjoy telling stories, or to wish to experience a different life, or any of the other reasons people roleplay.

If I'm being brutally honest...

Do not open this if you are easily offended, or a hobbyist writer.

I think if you RP as a fun hobby to blow off steam, 30+ is probably too old to still be doing it. If you write as a passion hobby, or serious pass time, that's different. The best writers are generally over 30, usually putting out their best work in their 40s.

But if you're still doing fun-time Pokemon, Harry Potter and Jedi RPs at 35, it may be time to invest in a hobby suitable for a middle-aged individual, or even different forms of hobbyist writing that are more productive and expose you to less children and people with mental health issues on a daily basis.

But that's just my brutally raw, objective two cents on the societal reality of it. If I was here for shits and giggles, I'd be too damn old for it.

As the saying goes, "growing older is mandatory; growing up is optional." Do what you enjoy and don't worry about whether you're "too old," because you aren't.

Feeling bad about doing things you enjoy, at least when they're socially tolerable, is how you ruin an otherwise good life.

I mean, two of the most human things you can do are to create and to collaborate. That doesn't just go away once you hit a certain age.

So long as no one's being a freak and engaging with children in inappropriate ways, and it doesn't totally consume your time to the detriment of everything else in your life, who cares? You could keep going 'till you're 100 and can only eat steak as a smoothie if it's still making you happy at that point.

I think if you RP as a fun hobby to blow off steam, 30+ is probably too old to still be doing it. If you write as a passion hobby, or serious pass time, that's different. The best writers are generally over 30, usually putting out their best work in their 40s.

But if you're still doing fun-time Pokemon, Harry Potter and Jedi RPs at 35, it may be time to invest in a hobby suitable for a middle-aged individual, or even different forms of hobbyist writing that are more productive and expose you to less children and people with mental health issues on a daily basis.

But that's just my brutally raw, objective two cents on the societal reality of it. If I was here for shits and giggles, I'd be too damn old for it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a middle aged person doing Harry Potter roleplays or Jedi roleplays. Especially SW, which has been around since like... The 70s. That's kind of gatekeep-y to say that. People can roleplay whatever they want, and I'm sure that there are a variety of ages in those fandoms in which people can find folks of their own age range.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a middle aged person doing Harry Potter roleplays or Jedi roleplays. Especially SW, which has been around since like... The 70s. That's kind of gatekeep-y to say that. People can roleplay whatever they want, and I'm sure that there are a variety of ages in those fandoms in which people can find folks of their own age range.

Gotta agree with this.

Let's think about who writes children's comics, who designs characters for cartoons, who draws illustrations for picture books. Those are all adults. If there weren't adults who like kids' stuff, no kids' stuff would ever get made.

What are people in their thirties+ supposed to RP? Last of the Summer Wine? Golden Girls? XDD

Gotta agree with this.

Let's think about who writes children's comics, who designs characters for cartoons, who draws illustrations for picture books. Those are all adults. If there weren't adults who like kids' stuff, no kids' stuff would ever get made.

What are people in their thirties+ supposed to RP? Last of the Summer Wine? Golden Girls? XDD

Right! I mean, it's kind of weird saying that such subjects are off limits to people of higher ages. When I'm 30+, I hope I don't lose everything I like now and still have interests... Lol....

I feel it’s more childish to be obsessed with being more mature and believing that you become too old for a hobby.

Hobbies keep people's minds more active and is actually psychologically healthy.

I'm almost 40. Started when I was 14. So... yeah. I've been RPing longer than some of the younger roleplayers have been alive. lol
Kinda weird, tbh.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a middle aged person doing Harry Potter roleplays or Jedi roleplays...
J.K. Rowling is 55, and George Lucas is 76. The creators of these fandoms are well passed 35.
That being said, I have seen lots of groups made that are exclusive to younger RPers. But I've also seen a couple geared to older ones. no biggee

I actually attempt to write more seriously on my own, and roleplaying is like an aside that I do as a more social form of writing when i have a block. It's also not my only hobby. I also paint miniatures, draw, and work on cars. *Gasp*, yes a female that works on cars! lol This all on top of mommy duties.

Last edited:
J.K. Rowling is 55, and George Lucas is 76. The creators of these fandoms are well passed 35.
That being said, I have seen lots of groups made that are exclusive to younger RPers. But I've also seen a couple geared to older ones. no biggee
Again a lot of older people tend to collect things that are considered childish... What I'm trying to say here is that N NiklausMikaelson 's not too old if anything it's the community on the site that's too young for them.

... if anything it's the community on the site that's too young for them.
This has a lot of truth. As popular as this site is... I've been having a hard time on it since I joined and I think it might be on account of the site generally being a bit too juvenile for me.

Yeah tbh I think roleplaying is like any hobby, as long as it brings you joy don’t fuss about age.

personally I find meeting people at different points in their life they share my fandoms is really fun. It’s nice to see the same thing through different perspectives. Means I can still grow in my understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back