• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern 𝐠𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬

free cake

spice and goth

• ghost stories

♡design by hekaton, coded by uxie♡

Oakwind high school, a little school nestled in trees in the hillside forest of Oakwind Valley, appears at a glance, perfectly unassuming. With a successful and friendly student populace, high graduation rate and an unmatchable connection to the nature that surrounds the institution, they seem to be your average above-average high school. But there’s a darker side to the school. Gym lockers crash shut in closed off rooms. Strange runes manifest themselves on teachers’ chalkboards. Shadowy figures creep over the side of the hills at night; you swear when you turn to look at them, they turn to look right back.

Recently, there’s been a surge of strange behavior in and around school. Black ooze seeps out of window sills and the trees are beginning to bleed. Kids have been disappearing during break, only to pop up days later in the surrounding forest. The teachers and staff at Oakwind are doing their best to quell the student’s gossip about the strange activity, but in such a small school, rumors spread fast. In the midst of all of this, a group of outcasts and misfits has formed in order to investigate these strange happenings, and dive into the mysterious history surrounding Oakwind. Will they find the source of their school’s strange happenings, or will their search for answers lead to dire consequences?
-------
So uh. Yeah. Here's something niche and incredibly indulgent for me lmao. Surprisingly this is not really based on scooby-doo- I was inspired by a lot of different Japanese horror, including Junji Ito and Fuan no Tane (highly recommend if you haven't read yet). I also got a lot of inspiration from the anime Ghost Stories, which is where I got the name. I also just in general love school-based horror, if you grew up dreading school like I did as a kid there's a sense of otherness and fear of failure/humiliation that comes inherit to a school environment that for me adds a whole new level to horror. Anyway, enough rambling. Come indulge with me. Or don't. I get it lmao

the conspiracist: all their life, this kid has questioned their reality, suspicious of the truths they’ve been told to believe. Of course they believe in the existence of the supernatural; they’ve never seen anything strange first hand, but why would they deny the existence of spirits and cryptids when the world is obviously trying so hard to disprove that they exist? When they heard of the disturbing rumors surrounding the school, they were ecstatic for a change to prove to the world the existence of the paranormal. They quickly formed a club to investigate these claims (and have a few other witnesses to their findings).

the witness: they never really believed in the supernatural, thinking of stories of ghosts and demons as mere tall tales to entertain or scare children into behaving. An average, outgoing student, never in a million years did they think they’d ever be roped into a club full of paranoid weirdos. But recently, they’ve been witness to the very thing they’ve doubted all their life; they’ve seen something so horrific, so unimaginably terrifying that they no longer have any choice but to be a believer. Along with the conspiritist, they believe the evidence this club will gather will dispel doubt over their claims and prove to the world the existence of the paranormal.

the skeptic: they’ve always denied the existence of the supernatural, so when they heard the rumor of a club for the occult starting, they didn’t take it seriously. infact, they laughed their ass off when the rumor going around school had finally reached them. they absolutely HAD to join the group and bear witness to these freaks in their natural habitat, first hand. For now, they’re ignorant of the mind-bending horror that lies for them in the future.

the creep: ever since freshman year, this kid has been an outcast, the stranger everyone avoids. they’ve faced bullying from their peers and all the rumors one could handle, but they never bothered them in the slightest. None of their words or actions seem to make sense, and they always seem to linger around every turn, silent, watching. In every sense of the word, this kid is an utter mystery; no one seems to know anything about them or why they’re interested in the supernatural. All others know is that they’re unnervingly prepared for club meetings. (taken)

the friend: this kid had no idea what they were getting into when they joined the occult club. to be honest, they wish they had never joined in the first place. all they did was look for their friend after photography club, where they found them at a club meeting and were promptly given the title of videographer and documenter of paranormal activity. (this kid can be the friend of any other member except the creep.)

the supervisor: this person is not a student, but an alumnus returning to the school as an assistant volunteer now that they’re training to be a teacher. As part of their job, they’ve been assigned to overlook the Book Club, aka the Occult Club disguising themselves from the teachers at Oakwind High. When the club was assigned a random supervisor, they were sure they’d be disbanded; however, when they came clean to the new supervisor, they received an unexpected reaction. They were all for it, a believer in ghosts themselves, and agreed to keep their secret. Deep down, they know they shouldn’t endorse this, that they should tell the principal and get the club shut down, but there’s something inside keeping their mouth shut. Maybe it’s because of the relentless haunting they experienced all throughout highschool, and the lingering effects of it on their psyche. Besides, the club isn’t doing any harm, and if there’s any way to keep the next generation of highschoolers from experiencing the same waking nightmare, it’s at least worth a shot.

RULES:
1. Let's get this out of the way: please follow all RPN rules and guidelines.
2. Yes, this is a literate RP! That means I expect full sentences and at least 2 paragraphs per post! However, don’t stress yourself out with writing too much; I would much rather read 2 poignant and well-written paragraphs over 10 paragraphs of nothing. I’d also much rather you take your time to write a well-thought out reply, so don’t rush your replies. For your sake and ours.
3. This is not first come first served. If I get multiple applications for the same role, I'm choosing whichever one fits the best.
4. I’ve been in many different RPs but this is the first RP I’ve ever started, so please be gentle on me if I make a mistake. In the same vein, please be nice to your fellow roleplayers. If you act like a freak or are rude, you’re going to get the boot.
5. To prove you've read the rules, include a 'thank you mr skeleton' in your cs somewhere.
6. All the kids in this RP are highschoolers, and as such are either minors, or fresh, baby faced adults; as such, please avoid speaking about them sexually or having them interact with other characters sexually.
7. If this gets enough attention, I’ll make a discord for us to plot. If this gets more attention than I’m realistically expecting it to, I’ll do my best to add extra roles.
8. If you have a cool idea for the lore, please feel free to dm me about it! I would love to hear your ideas!

Last edited:
This looks really promising - Death Mark is pretty much my favorite game, and it sounds like this would be a similar vibe. I'd love to try out for the Witness

I can but a ton of details in my responses and can write a few paragraphs. I wanted to play the role as the skeptic. I think it would be interesting to see how someone who didn’t believe anything that was going on suddenly get involved with creepy and horrifying things sort of have them go from not at all invested and taking as a joke to someone who is completely invested. Oh and just to make sure I know you said on the cs but to confirm thank you mr skeleton.

Ooh interesting! I'd love to submit an application for the Witness, if you'll have me.

I've got questions if you have the time:
-What state, country, region, area of the world, what-have-you is Oakwind Valley based on?
-Will there be a Discord or other OOC communication happening?

Thank you :)

oh wow! i wasn’t expecting this much attention! :D

I've got questions if you have the time:
-What state, country, region, area of the world, what-have-you is Oakwind Valley based on?
-Will there be a Discord or other OOC communication happening?

Thank you :)

This going to be based in Northeast America, somewhere around Pennsylvania. I imagine Oakwind itself is built on a lot of steep hills, and the school sits on the side of a small mountain overlooking the town.

As for OOC, I’ll send a discord link to you once I accept your CS. If anyone doesn’t have discord/can’t get it, then I’ll make an OOC thread.

oh wow! i wasn’t expecting this much attention! :D

This going to be based in Northeast America, somewhere around Pennsylvania. I imagine Oakwind itself is built on a lot of steep hills, and the school sits on the side of a small mountain overlooking the town.

As for OOC, I’ll send a discord link to you once I accept your CS. If anyone doesn’t have discord/can’t get it, then I’ll make an OOC thread.

Awesome!
Is the thread up for sheets?

Groups of students investigating mysteries is definitely my thing! Hopefully there would be more role too, as it seems a lot of people have expressed their interest already.

Mqueserasera Mqueserasera Chimney Swift Chimney Swift yutohase yutohase White_ghost06 White_ghost06 tookamodernman tookamodernman click norris click norris Heatherling Heatherling Gish_Sky Gish_Sky
The CS is officially up! To be fair to those who haven't seen the interest check yet and might be interested, I've decided to make the deadline
April 28th!
I'm thinking about adding more roles (maybe a club supervisor?), but for tonight it's just going to be the available 4. Have fun!​

Mqueserasera Mqueserasera Chimney Swift Chimney Swift yutohase yutohase White_ghost06 White_ghost06 tookamodernman tookamodernman click norris click norris Heatherling Heatherling Gish_Sky Gish_Sky
The CS is officially up! To be fair to those who haven't seen the interest check yet and might be interested, I've decided to make the deadline
April 28th!
I'm thinking about adding more roles (maybe a club supervisor?), but for tonight it's just going to be the available 4. Have fun!​
so its ok if im unable to write 10 paragraphs?

aw, was interested in the creep and didn't see you already snatched it- i'll probably do the friend, then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back