• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC Chat) - Chapter Ten

Hey Dann, I know from personal experience that the cutters used in removing a cast from a broken bone don't cut skin. When I was ten I broke my arm, and when the doc took the cast off, he showed me that it would make a bit of noise but not hurt me in any way. It used a vibrating blade that actually kinda tickled on my skin.

Do we have any idea if something like this might work on the armor?
I too have experience with having a limb in a cast (and being cut out of it - on two separate occasions). The answer to your question is - it's a good idea except this situation is not quite the same. I don't know about your cast, but each of mine were made from plaster, not steel meant to stop bullets (the S.D.C. equivalent of a Mega-suit, right?).

The Mega-damage version of the device used to free us from our casts does not exist in Robotech: Broadsword. Hence the real need for the Wild Cards to find a different solution.

Notice that Hercules is pretty specific about using a blade that does not vibrate? That might be for reasons we could ask Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus about. Whaddya say, Cap'n? Why no vibrations in the cutting tool and why no heat? =)

Dang it.. I'm trying to come up with good ideas and you are being all "reasonable" with me. Lol

Dang it.. I'm trying to come up with good ideas and you are being all "reasonable" with me. Lol
Psychie Psychie Keep at it. We roleplayers are a creative lot, aren't we?

The best creativity I've ever seen is when roleplayers join heads and bounce ideas off of each other. Sometimes, one of my PCs will get a great idea because of something someone else brought up. Other times, the group as a whole will huddle up and agree on a single plan together. Only rarely, have I run a game scenario where everyone at the table (virtual or otherwise) is shaking their heads with no ideas as to what to do.

If I can toot my own horn here for a moment, one benefit you guys and gals have with me is that you can ask me darned near anything and I'll be straight with you. It might seem like something one should always be able to do, but there is a percentage of Game Masters and Storytellers out there that put their own fun above that of their Players and create this "Me vs. Them" atmosphere. Ask me and I'll give it to you straight without giving away any of the three (or more) solutions I came to myself when I made this scenario.*

*In big scenes like this, I have long been in the habit of coming up with at least three separate solutions that my PCs could also come to, knowing what they knew at the time using only resources available to them at the time. I don't make a habit of telling my PCs what my other solutions were (because for me that leads into "Me vs. Them" territory and I'm never here for that). What I personally enjoy most is when my PCs come up with some solution that never crossed my mind! I just love that! It's happened a few times here and in Sharseya.

So ask away, Psychie (or any of you)! To me, the only "dumb question" is the one the ignorant human being failed to ask - because by not asking it, they never came to know the cause of their ignorance! So ask! =)

Cast saws are oscillating blades (similar to the ones used in hair clippers) and was something I considered. Any oscillating or reciprocating blade has the advantage when cutting through a rigid material while protecting the much softer material underneath as the blade teeth have one set that are stationary and the other set move left and right, essentially creating a series of scissor-like cuts as material is caught between the two blades and sheered through. If the saw comes into contact with skin, due to the limited movement of the cutting blade, the skin is most likely to just move with the blade. The greatest danger would be over bony areas where the skin is less mobile, but even then it would be more of an abasion than a cut.

Silly website hid everyone's conversation while I was posting so I'll answer:
Notice that Hercules is pretty specific about using a blade that does not vibrate? That might be for reasons we could ask Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus about. Whaddya say, Cap'n? Why no vibrations in the cutting tool and why no heat? =)
Let me clear that up with a direct quote from The Big Greek:
“Doc Kirin will have an easier time once she’s got access to his chest. We need cutting tools, reciprocating saws capable of cutting the armor, no rotary blades or torches. And a schematic of the armor, I need to see how thick it is and where the seams are so we can plan the cuts.”
"no rotary blades or torches", not excluding reciprocating tools. The no rotary blades is a given, they can 'run away' when cutting exceptionally tough materials and will cheerfully rip into softer material they come into contact with. No heat because Herc believes that the armor's heat dissipation system is either dead or significantly compromised, considering what it and it's occupant (at this point, I don't think 'wearer' is appropriate) have been through. So absolutely Hercules wants to use a saw that has one stationary and one moving blade (or even one moving blade with a depth gauge), so they can cut along the seams of the armor (where it's likely to be thinnest) with the least risk of trauma to Sharp.

Captain Hesperus

Last edited:
Your knowledge of cutting tools is impressive.

Let me clear that up with a direct quote from The Big Greek:
Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus My mistake! Sorry about that - I combined several thoughts at once and wrote something inaccurate. I once had a body whose left hand was permanently mutilated because of that very danger - a "run away" saw (he was cutting a material he was unused to and by the time he realized his mistake, it was too late and the saw had him).

Next time, I'll do what I normally do and look at the quote myself prior to posting. =)

Your knowledge of cutting tools is impressive.
Oh, if you think that's impressive, bud, you should ask Cap'n about sniping from a cute kitteh's perspective! NOBODY takes down targets like RP Nation's best and favorite Snipah Kitteh! 8D

Cat Surprise GIF

Cast saws are oscillating blades (similar to the ones used in hair clippers) and was something I considered. Any oscillating or reciprocating blade has the advantage when cutting through a rigid material while protecting the much softer material underneath as the blade teeth have one set that are stationary and the other set move left and right, essentially creating a series of scissor-like cuts as material is caught between the two blades and sheered through. If the saw comes into contact with skin, due to the limited movement of the cutting blade, the skin is most likely to just move with the blade. The greatest danger would be over bony areas where the skin is less mobile, but even then it would be more of an abasion than a cut.
"Does anyone have any idea what to use for a cutting tool? Making one will take more time than I am comfortable with."

"How long?" Captain Sharp happens to ask.

"One hour minimum."
If we had time, Cera could make a mega-damage version of that saw (is it a Stryker saw or is that only used in autopsies?). Unfortunately it doesn't sound like we have that kind of time.
So Psychie's suggestion is reasonable, just not practical. ^;3^

Also: I'd still like to try Traversing with the armor. I agree it's unlikely to respond, but I think it's worth a try. Eadric would be happy to make the attempt, too.

Psychie Psychie

Times like this (and since we haven't heard from dear Silanon Silanon whose last post anywhere as best as I can tell was over week ago so he's probably really busy in real Life), it's really cool to have a party leader.

Psychie? Do you want more info from your fellow party members (PC or NPC)? Do you know how you'd like to proceed?

Psychie Psychie

Times like this (and since we haven't heard from dear Silanon Silanon whose last post anywhere as best as I can tell was over week ago so he's probably really busy in real Life), it's really cool to have a party leader.

Psychie? Do you want more info from your fellow party members (PC or NPC)? Do you know how you'd like to proceed?
Really busy, and kinda struggling between focusing on different things. There's my job search, bureaucracy, new social activities... and especially the latter are taxing at the moment. If you've ever dealt with depression, you might know that people are damn exhausting to be around, especially when you're not used to it - and I've got more stuff going on at the moment than I've had for years. That's a real positive thing, actually, but it means that I kinda lacked the energy to do anything productive over here for a while. Caught up here in the ooc at last, so that's a start - might be able to get more going the next few days.

Silanon Silanon Hey, while I miss you (and I'm sure I'm not the only one), please pace yourself and don't overdo it. I'm glad you're really busy in a positive way but I want you to be happy and healthy, you know? The game will be here. =)

What Dann said. Great to hear from you even if it's to say you won't be posting yet. 😂

Seriously, glad things are going positively for you! Good luck with the job search (and the bureaucracy!).

We are all rooting for you Silanon Silanon . Take care of yourself; there is only one of you out there and we all kinda like you. :grinningteeth:

We are all rooting for you Silanon Silanon . Take care of yourself; there is only one of you out there and we all kinda like you. :grinningteeth:
Silanon Silanon "Kinda?" While I'm certain my oldest bud, Sherwood, here is being silly, I just have to come out and say it. I think Sil is compassionate and thoughtful - in a single word?

Wonderful!

Psychie Psychie

I know we are busy in other games, but this is a bump for Psychie Psychie =)

Psychie Psychie I appreciate the in-game post, but don't know your plans. Allow me to ask again:

1. Do you want more info from your fellow party members?

2. Do you know how you'd like to proceed?

I'm asking in Fat Gandalf's primarily because if you want to talk Player-to-Player (or GM) with serious Shop Talk, now is probably a good time. But if Toph has a plan already, then by all means! Post when it's convenient.

But could you tell me which route you're more comfortable with going?

Toph is not aware that Scary Jerry has a cutter idea that might do the trick, since she was in the other room with Zyorna. Once she knows, she is quite willing to take him up on his idea and test it on another suit of armor before just cutting Willy nilly on the captain's suit.

Unless you say she already knows, then let's get to it!
O.K., so she has no plan of her own. You're waiting to hear Hercules's plan with Scary Jerry's (which, to be fair, is creditable to both of them).

Great! Now I know what to post! Thanks! =)

No problem. Personally I have no clue as to how to get the captain out of the armor in one piece, so let the experts in!

No problem. Personally I have no clue as to how to get the captain out of the armor in one piece, so let the experts in!
Well, that's one big reason I find myself asking. I have no way of knowing if Psychie has her own plan and you simply have not yet voiced it. =)

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon

GAME MASTER NOTE: Please disregard the information in the spoiler. I goofed! See Kaerri's following post.

Read in-game then check in da spoiler! =)

As dire as the situation in the Mindbender is at the moment (and Captain Sharp, for once, is kinda grateful to be inside a melted, blown-up pile of slagged armor as it still serves as some form of protection!), all is far from lost! Yes, the problem is Commander Kirin has finally lost it. Remember - less than an hour in her perspective, she was in the future watching the Broadsword get ripped open by the Invid while trying to put Piper into a cryogenic chamber before the two of them died and more, and now she wakes up to a total stranger (Hitomi) to be told she is back in the year 2025 with half her crew lost and oh, by the way! Here's your precious Toph you thought lost to you forever!

Talk about having a bad but good day, right?

Thankfully, you do have one ace in the hole - Toph! Toph is definitely her mother's daughter and she has seen her mother in these rages before (it is one reason her mom, under normal conditions, keeps herself under such steely self-control).

So, what to do? Toph, in-character, very likely knows it's probably best if she do the talking. Do not defend or dodge why the Sams were changed - just tell her. And when she asks "Why?" Provide that answer too (perhaps with a bit of the Wild Cards' own perspective on the matter, which of course, only you can provide). =)

These are things Toph would know and I think are worth making known to you all, so here they are! =)

Last edited:
Two points regarding the above spoiler, which I will therefore put in a spoiler of my own.

Firstly, we did know who, and why.

Samantha replies, "Authorization was provided by... Commander Zyorna Kirin."

"I missed that? Bring it up," Piper orders.

A 3-D miniature hologram about 1.5 feet high appears above Samantha's forearm. There you see the Broadsword's Bridge with people on it, not Sam units, but people, none of whom you recognize except Piper who is not sitting in the Captain's chair and looking extremely busy from her own console. Everyone on the bridge looks tense and the Broadsword is definitely in motion. In the foreground of the hologram is a stern-looking micronized Meltrandi with beautiful face and hair dressed in a UEEF uniform with some shiny emblem on its neck apparently denoting high rank. She seems like the kind of person who has earned every bit of respect to go along with it.

The female glances at the camera and orders, "Sam, if we are to die today, I wish to hear my beloved Hiroshi and Toph as if they were here beside me."

Commander Kirin turns back to the screen and concludes, "Sam, while next in command may make alterations to you; as long as I am in charge, this is how you shall remain."

"Understood, ma'am," says the voice of Hiroshi Kirin. Then he seems to bow without taking its camera off of her. At this, you see Commander Kirin's face soften a bit. And smile. Then the hologram vanishes.

Secondly, the person responsible is...no longer on the ship.

Piper points to Elinor. "You're still in charge until Lt. Mackenzie returns to active duty, right? So... uhh... you choose!

Elinor studied the list for a few minutes. Seems only polite to go along with the one opinion given, 'specially as it's the acting-captain's, she thought, bypassing "Scottish." "Pirate Talk" was tempting, but she knew that that would drive her up the wall sooner or later. She found that, like Zyorna, she wanted something familiar instead of just amusing. "That one for you," she told Samantha, pointing at "Southern-American." "And for the Sams, that one," she added, pointing to "Surfer-dude." Just for you, Mack.

Two points regarding the above spoiler, which I will therefore put in a spoiler of my own.

Firstly, we did know who, and why.

Secondly, the person responsible is...no longer on the ship.
Kaerri Kaerri

Boy, did I screw that one up! All right. I will rewrite the whole scene; later today, if I can.

Dammit! I feel like I'm being torn in three different directions!

If I'm missing out on things like this, I'm spending too much of my brain in other games. I'm spreading myself too thin.

It's not responsible for me to game like this. What kind of game master am I if I can't keep my own stories straight? I've got to do something about it...

....but what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back