• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC Chat) - Chapter Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to use the reply function out of habit, but that's mostly the same. Just have to actually get to do it at the moment, that's the problem.

Silanon Silanon Well, don't force it or it'll be subpar. I don't mind waiting a bit longer (it's a game, not a job). Let me know if you've questions about what's going on or if there's some way I can help you. After all, I say roleplaying is a "team sport!" =)

Will do - thanks for the support and understanding, as always! Means a lot.

Kaerri Kaerri Could use an Eadric post when you have the time? The more he posts, the sooner he meets the Wild Cards and the Broadsword (now that we are at this stage in the story)! =)

Kaerri Kaerri All cockpits are either front-and-back two-seaters to or side-by-side two-seaters. This applies to all mecha unless otherwise noted. This is in Shop Talk.

OK. Wasn't sure if it applied in wherever/whenever Boop is from. ^33^

Hey, you know me! I'm never going to turn down a request for details! Yours is a good question. =)

Heya Gang! I'm going to try to put out a post in the next 24 hours. Be good and stay safe!

Just to give everyone a quick heads up: I'm getting ready to go visit the in-laws across the country in Virginia for the next six days starting tomorrow morning. I'm going to be traveling all day tomorrow, but I am going to be bringing my laptop to keep up on the game in the evenings when things are winding down.

Thanks. We have plans to stop at Colonial Williamsburg one day, and hit the beach for my first time in the Atlantic Ocean. Should be lots of fun watching my family (especially my 9 year old!) go nuts at the beach.

I hope you and she and all of you have a blast! Enjoy the East Coast!

Heya Gang!

I'm not at my best, but I'm going to post anyway. It might not be my best post, but I'm going to post anyway. I might not cover all of the bases and I might not completely make the kind of sense I'd like to make (there's a storm system out there and the pressure is messing with my head again). But I'm going to post anyway.

Because how else do games get enjoyed? How else do we have fun together here? I might be lacking a voice right now but... I'm not lacking in spirit. That voice is quite alive. So yeah. Time to stop talking about it and get it done, best or not best - just... get it done. =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Well, take it easy, my friend. Don't push yourself too much or you'll take forever to get better.

Good advice, bud. I'm done for now. Posted! =)

I'll catch up over the next few days - been busy with thesis stuff these last few days. That said: I handed everything in yesterday, so things'll start to calm down from now on. Got the defense next week as the last obstacle, then it's up to other people to decide if I messed up too badly. Means I'll actually have time to do stuff and take care of myself again, and that'll certainly more activity here on RPN!

I'll catch up over the next few days - been busy with thesis stuff these last few days. That said: I handed everything in yesterday, so things'll start to calm down from now on. Got the defense next week as the last obstacle, then it's up to other people to decide if I messed up too badly. Means I'll actually have time to do stuff and take care of myself again, and that'll certainly more activity here on RPN!
Silanon Silanon I have only this to share along with my best. In a video presentation offered by CNN some years ago, they talked about the 1960 U.S. Presidential debate between John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon. If memory serves, that was the very first televised debate ever shown with tens of millions listening by the usual method of the time, radio. History shows both the winner and the loser (Kennedy won). But listen to this:

"How JFK's Clever TV Strategies Helped Him Win the Election"

What I would give to you, Sil, is this. Your thesis defense will be a form of debate. You vs. your professors. They too have stood in your shoes many years ago and likely had to defend their own theses. Each prepared for that special and important event probably in different ways. But how did they prepare? How should you? In the case of JFK vs. Nixon, as that video shows, their situations were as different as night and day. Nixon had treated the debate as just another thing to do in his busy schedule and therefore was rushed, unrested, and about as unprepared as a debater could be despite his experience as a debater. He also injured his knee against his car door moments on his way in to the debate. JFK on the other hand had spent at least two solid days enjoying himself at a resort with no schedule whatsoever that didn't involve, fun, sun, and plenty of rest and relaxation. When time came for the two to square off, it showed, and the rest is history.

So my advice to you is, for at least the 48 hours leading up to your thesis defense, to take the days off as best as you can! Put aside anything stressful that can be put aside until after the defense. Catch up on enjoyable things no matter what they are.

Focus on enjoying yourself prior to the day of the debate. Relax! Maybe read some books. Sleep in. Get a massage. Does a mineral water bath sound good? Study at leisure without cramming (rushing). Eat foods you like (maybe some you've missed). Maybe an alcoholic drink or two if you need loosening up. Whatever brings a smile to your face for two days while preparing for the defense. Rest and relaxation being the top priority, studying being an important, but secondary priority.

When studying, remember - you've already written the thesis, now ask yourself what questions would you ask if you were in their shoes? Don't try to play soothsayer here and try to be ready for any question possible, just know your stuff so well that it comes to you easily. If you have a few friends who can quiz you, so much the better. Be ready to come to the defense confidently. Focus on your facts. Understand that your belief in your thesis is true. Of course you believe in it - you wrote the thing and I hope you're proud of it as you should be! Now explain why! How?

The professors who will challenge your thesis will also seem like they are challenging you. Whether they are or not, treat this is an illusion - they are challenging your argument. Therefore, take nothing personally. Don't focus on their faces, focus on their words. Do the same if you can prep with a friend or two. This is all business. Even if the professors seem like sharks trying to find every last possible fault in your thesis, that's their duty. One day it may be your duty. But your thesis is worth believing in and you can prove it!

But until that hour comes, take it easy, good Sil. Relax. Study well. And defend your thesis like Eron defending the innocent. Okay, maybe with a little less crazy, but you get where I'm going with this. Defend it vigilantly with plenty of preparation. And even though you didn't ask for it, that's the best advice I can offer for your future success, good buddy. =)

Happy resting, dear Sil!

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Thanks, folks! Finally managed to give Dann's post a proper read, that's some good advice. I've already made it a habit to take it easy on the last day before an exam of any kind, and - at most - look at a few things that I know damn well, as a confidence boost so to speak. Will try to handle things similarly this time, preparations are at a pretty good point already.

Honestly, I'm not too worried thus far. Just gotta be patient with myself for a couple more days and focus on the excitement to get it all done, instead of on the things that maybe could've gone better. Easier said than done, sometimes, but hey - it's mostly just another talk about things I know a thing or two about.

Part 2 will get done a little later tonight. I got some good work done today, but now my body and brain are telling me to take a break and come back to it - so that's what I'm gonna do! =)

So until then, have a shot of cute little loudmouth Fizzgig (from The Dark Crystal, probably my favorite movie ever). =)

the dark crystal GIF

I just realized Sil hasn't posted for Ylva and she's out of smoke missiles. Silanon Silanon Is there something you'd like Ylva to do? She can reach that front line with the Prototype Super Logan's Tri-Cannon or lasers (remember, I've doubled the ranges on mecha guns but not missiles as a test to see how it works). Or... if you'd rather focus on relaxing and studying for your thesis defense, she could do that if you want? Whatever approach (post in-game or not) brings a smile to your face is the one I want! =)

Got to the point where I checked the Logan's weapon systems yesterday, but couldn't get a post up - if you don't mind, lemme just go with whatever does the most damage, and I'll be back to in-game posts after today.

Edit: And as always, thanks for being awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back