• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Exalted Third Edition: An-Teng

I'll be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about Little Beam showing up in someone's backstory. Like, do we even know if he'll exist in this edition?

Apologies if this sounds harsher than intended.

One thing I probably should have touched on in char gen rules. I'm not really ok with the Allies background. Retainers and Familiars are acceptable, however. Even if I were to allow allies, I can't approve of a one dot merit justifying access to the sheer resources, contacts, and influence of a guild factor. Guild factors are the highest ranks within the guild outside of Nexus, if my memory serves, and the kind of status that entails is 10+ dots of merits on its own (between the resources, backing, contacts, influence etc.). While being buddy buddy with the guild factor isn't the same as being one, limited access to that much pull for one dot is absurd.

Aside from Allies, for me to be ok with having access to Yu-Shan insider information and Little Beam's parentage would require Lore 5, Occult 3, Mentor 3, Influence 3 (Divinities), and a bureaucracy and/or lore specialty in divine politics. Basically, if you want that kind of background to be a big deal for your character, I need to see the investment to MAKE it a big deal. Otherwise access to or benefits from that knowledge are inaccessible and therefore irrelevant (which defeats the purpose I'd imagine). Overall really, just seems like a lot of background elements don't really have enough representation in the merit expenditures or academic and social abilities.

Also, since I only implied but didn't explicitly state this, I will now. After this post, no more characters will be accepted unless I state as such beforehand. The window for character submission is closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Rykon: I should have asked this earlier, but what's the general theme of this game? Is there an overall plot, or is it more freeform where you throw a bunch of Solars in a Realm controld city and see what happens?

Rykon said:
Apologies if this sounds harsher than intended.
One thing I probably should have touched on in char gen rules. I'm not really ok with the Allies background. Retainers and Familiars are acceptable, however. Even if I were to allow allies, I can't approve of a one dot merit justifying access to the sheer resources, contacts, and influence of a guild factor. Guild factors are the highest ranks within the guild outside of Nexus, if my memory serves, and the kind of status that entails is 10+ dots of merits on its own (between the resources, backing, contacts, influence etc.). While being buddy buddy with the guild factor isn't the same as being one, limited access to that much pull for one dot is absurd.

Aside from Allies, for me to be ok with having access to Yu-Shan insider information and Little Beam's parentage would require Lore 5, Occult 3, Mentor 3, Influence 3 (Divinities), and a bureaucracy and/or lore specialty in divine politics. Basically, if you want that kind of background to be a big deal for your character, I need to see the investment to MAKE it a big deal. Otherwise access to or benefits from that knowledge are inaccessible and therefore irrelevant (which defeats the purpose I'd imagine). Overall really, just seems like a lot of background elements don't really have enough representation in the merit expenditures or academic and social abilities.

Also, since I only implied but didn't explicitly state this, I will now. After this post, no more characters will be accepted unless I state as such beforehand. The window for character submission is closed.
No no I understand that a ST has to dictate rulings.

I see... Might be able down play Riho's role and proximity to Aranni, have him become a contact.

I didn't quite mean a line of communication or insight into Yu-shan from my parentage, but I will grab the Mentor and Influence backgrounds at a minimum... in addition to some more dots in Lore and Occult.

JayTee said:
@Rykon: I should have asked this earlier, but what's the general theme of this game? Is there an overall plot, or is it more freeform where you throw a bunch of Solars in a Realm controld city and see what happens?
To put it briefly, the theme is the aftermath of the Dragon-Blooded withdrawal to fight a cold Civil War. Which as has been hinted at, is a lot of malicious forces bubbling up from the woodwork. So, my intention is that as the Realm declines, the heroism of the new Solars has a chance to shine and set in to the minds of the threshold populace. Also, to further clarify, I have 0 intent of driving the story of an apocalypse scenario or of sustained global scope in general.

I'm a little confused as to where I am at the moment. Gyro's initial plan was to make contact with Halcyon and take advantage of her charms to insert himself in to the power structure of the City, but the scene seems to have moved on without him.

JayTee said:
I'm a little confused as to where I am at the moment. Gyro's initial plan was to make contact with Halcyon and take advantage of her charms to insert himself in to the power structure of the City, but the scene seems to have moved on without him.
She was surrounded by a mob and meeting a minister of the city, hardly someone he could just approach. She's currently passing the Mysterious Office that Tide and Kiera are also at, though. She might be the kind to stop there for a moment ;)

Esbilon said:
She was surrounded by a mob and meeting a minister of the city, hardly someone he could just approach.
True. Kyro's plan was to wait for an opening and introduce himself, or whoever looked important, but I guess I was too passive =p

JayTee said:
True. Kyro's plan was to wait for an opening and introduce himself, or whoever looked important, but I guess I was too passive =p
Now's the chance, then! The Mysterious Office seems to draw everyone to it, so it probably isn't too much of a stretch to say that Kyro's there too. Tide doesn't look *important* as such, but she does have a black jade reaper daiklave strapped to her back, even in An-Teng, that's not something you see every day.

Esbilon said:
Now's the chance, then! The Mysterious Office seems to draw everyone to it, so it probably isn't too much of a stretch to say that Kyro's there too. Tide doesn't look *important* as such, but she does have a black jade reaper daiklave strapped to her back, even in An-Teng, that's not something you see every day.
True enough. I'll write up a post later today, I got a job seminar coming up that I need to attend. Damned unemployment rates!

Woo, xps!

@Rykon Can I buy dots in a second Martial Arts style right off the bat, or do I need to find a mentor? And if I can, what about learning the Charms?

I recommend building a training list. Once we reach something resembling down time, we can start ticking through the queue as it were.

For martial arts dots and charms, you -can- learn it without a teacher. I believe the training table in this edition assume solo training. So if you do get a teacher, learning more martial arts should be much easier.

Delicious XPs! @Rykon: Would you allow me to spend that XP immediately on a spell? Sorcery is a core component of Kyros, and I was a little bummed that I could only squeeze one spell in to his chargen stats.

Speaking of xp, do I bank it, or spend it on some skills? Hmmm, what to do...

Since we haven't done combat yet, sure I s'pose I'll just allow everyone to spend XP now.

Does Solar xp add to the regular xp in building up to Essence two, or does it count only by regular xp?

I went ahead and raised my Larceny to five, making me one of the preeminent thieves in Creation, even before Charms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back