• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here

Despite the stress buzzing beneath his skin on the long trek towards the bridge, he had begun to think that the sounds of nature that surrounded them was quite soothing. It was a struggle to keep one's guard up in the face of that. And it wasn't too long before his gang had made it to the destroyed bridge and the first words out of his mouth were an alarmed, "The Gothra did that?" He wasn't sure what he was expecting, but the absolute state of it now surprised him. It was like a giant had scooped out large pieces of the bridge entirely by hand. And it was hard for him to imagine that the Gothra had done it alone.

And it was only the middle. Why just the middle? He agreed with Shaista, the damage was unnaturally clean.

As they spoke to each other, he shifted closer to the river, gazing down into the rushing water beneath. After 'blowing up' the bridge, the perpetrators would've had to have a way to get back to their side. Or maybe, they didn't have to. Not to mention the idea of the repair crew mysteriously going missing. Whether they ran away or not, it was still worrying considering the mayor's recent problems.

"If only my air was strong enough to push us across to the other side," he snorted and shook his head. It wasn't as if he'd never tried to make himself float or fly before, but the amount of strength over the air element and the amount of focus that required was astronomical. Not to mention it depended heavily on how dense one's body was. Lars' body, for instance, would be impossible with the current strength he sported. Not to mention, the very last time he tried to make himself float a mere centimeter off the ground, he was stricken with an extreme migraine that made his head throb throughout the whole day.

Suffice it to say, he wasn't going to try that again.

"Pitch?" Suiry's nose crinkled. "Oh, you mean like sell ya stuff? Well we got weapons but if you want 'em, let me know. In the meantime, I'm mor'n'trested about what the mayor got you heroes doin', bet it's real juicy stuff!" Suiry's tail trembled furiously, her excitement obvious.

"Lord give me patience," Graid groaned. "You do not have to oblige her, I'm sure you're very busy." Still, from the way Graid's ears were perked, he seemed curious as well.

FireMaiden FireMaiden druidquest druidquest

Lars shook his head. The day was too warm for his ice to last for any length of time. They would be stuck on this side for now, it seemed. He moved to the end of the bridge, searching the ground and surrounding area for signs of the workers: tools, equipment, plans, cooking, or anything else they left behind. Perhaps they could find a clue there or a way to finish fixing the bridge...

"Are we that easy to recognize?" Theophania asked with a small laugh.

She shared a look with Velahari. "Actually, we're quite free this morning," she replied, turning to the Thytra. "The mayor's request was a simple one, and there are several of us, so we've just been 'left hanging' as it were. And the two of you? I would think having a soldier garrison nearby would keep blacksmiths well busy."

It was subtle but Lars & Lorna noticed footprints leading west alongside the river as they studied the area nearby. Perhaps this would lead to the missing repair crew.

"I mean, this ain't exactly a sprawlin' metropolis if'n ya know what I mean," Suiry shrugged. "Our stuff ain't shabby by the by, but it's no dwarven metalcraft and that's what most of our soldiers wear."

"Yes, we mostly arm travelers and occasionally fill in when the metallurgy of the Clythra is unavailable," Graid agreed, shifting to face the heroes more fully. "I suppose if you aren't busy, you're just having a look around then?" One of Graid's ears twitched absentmindedly.

Krirrk watched the heroes closely. He wanted to know what made them tick. Their vantage point was great for scouting, but he could see they were divided on exactly what to do about the Gothra nearby.

"A closer look," Kirrk began, his eyes falling on Nerine. "Not a bad idea; rumor has it a few men have gone missing doing the Mayor's bidding." He folded his arms, "You are not the first group sent on this errand, and should you all fail, you won't be the last." He cocked his head to one side, "Of course, we could always simply observe what the rest of your party does as they near the bridge?'

PiePillager PiePillager upscalerat upscalerat Radish__ Radish__

Looking down each side of the river, he couldn't say that he saw anything of interest. But as he began to turn away from the rushing water he saw it: sets of footprints. As he knelt down to get a better look, he frowned intently. Though it was somewhat hard to tell, there were multiple sets. They were somewhat faded, leading him to believe that it had been some time since the owners had taken this path.

Settling back on his heels he gestured to the ground beside him, "I've found something -- footprints. Might lead us to the old repair crew. Though, I feel like it's been some time since these footprints were first made."

As Lars and Lorna investigated and bustled about, Shaista remained rooted in her spot. She seemed almost disinterested by the mystery at hand as she didn't try to offer any more observations or assist. She stood there, almost statuesque, were it not for her eyes that followed the other two closely. There was only so much she could do from a distance.

It did interest her though. So when Lorna pointed out footprints, Shaista was already stepping forward. They needed more information and staring at the obviously broken bridge wasn't going to do more than leave them baking in the sun.

"We should follow," Shaista said gruffly, tilting her head down a little so she could better see where the tracks were. She stopped for a few moments but unable to see them clearly, moved over to give them a wide berth. "I'll follow in the rear. Protection and such."

197122_iXQ0foKj.pngVelahari Faevi
Interaction
: druidquest druidquest DarKnight36 DarKnight36
Mentioned:

"Actually, this is exactly what we're supposed to be doing," Velahari mentioned as her gaze now wandered around the market. She wondered some if they were allowed to tell people the details of this mission but...they had to ask questions right? How did you do that and not reveal something? "We're actually investigating the Gothra. We're trying to find out what's agitated them recently, and the market seemed like a good place to start. Lots of people moving in an out. And I've noticed most everyone enjoys telling stories." Which was her way of saying she knew there had to be some gossip here and there. "Your mayor also seemed to be in a big hurry. Is he typically very stressed? That's not good for him."

Favi, upon seeing the gothra with the weapons, lets out an alarmed squeek. Taking off through the underbrush with whatever herbs he had collected in his mouth, he made his way back where he came from.

Rue turned to look at rattlesnap. "Do you hear that?" she asked, her ears twitching. She nodded at Nerine's words. Her fellow alchemist was right. She opened her mouth to speak, but before she could, she heard Favi's terrified squeak. Her eyes widened, her ears pinning as she took off in his direction without hesitation. She whistled as she ran off with considerable speed due to her heritage. When she saw her little friend moving through the grass, she slid, scooping him up. That was when she lost her balance, and rolled to a rough stop.

Immediately Rue was fussing over him, checking for any wounds, and holding him tightly to her chest. She was seemingly oblivious to her own newly made scratches and scrapes.

PiePillager PiePillager upscalerat upscalerat

Nerine

The Faldra turned his eyes to Nerine, and she felt examined. She opened her mouth to speak again- wanting to suggest that simply watching what the rest of the party was up to wouldn't do them much good, at the end of the day- but caught herself as she noticed Rue about to speak, as well. Rather than respond, though, the Meftra just looked alarmed. A moment, it was clear enough why, when she ran to meet her ferret, tumbling as she scooped him up.

Nerine was quick to follow her, rummaging through her bag as she did so. By the time she arrived to the pair, she was holding a small, wooden tub with a folding lid, and opened it as she knelt beside the pair. "Rue," she murmured, and offered the tub, and the salve within. "I- here, this is for healing, it cleans as well. It's weak, but it's good for the scrapes you've got, and if he's got any, as well."
coded by: @s e v e n

Reply: obscured_light obscured_light

He settled back onto his heels, blankly staring at the footprints as he sensed Shaista coming up behind him. Resting his chin into his hand, he gazed off into the distance where the footprints would, undoubtedly, lead them towards. It was a flimsy lead at best, but it was the only thing they had and waiting around for another would only waste valuable time. So when Shaista commented, he shot the other a warm smile, regardless of if she could actually see or not. "We're counting on you." And then, with all the grace of someone of his stature should have, stood and followed the tracks.

The tracks wound along the river bend, becoming more clear as the party traveled. The tracks also showed that the small group that had made the tracks was running, although from what wasn't clear. Around a bend in the river, an outcropping suddenly appeared, and underneath it, a cave. The tracks led inside.

"Looks like our repair crew was being chased by something," Lionel said, eyes narrowing as he looked at the cave. "Looks like this goes pretty deep. They probably ran in here."

Lionel's hand grabbed hold of his axe and he eased it free of its holster. "Caves on Telani... aren't something I usually go into for a cheery jaunt, if you know what I mean. If we're going in there, we'd best be ready to tussle with some critters."

Suiry & Graid exchanged a glance, but after a moment, Graid spoke. "He's been more stressed of late, but it's not unwarranted. Rumor is there's a war brewing." Graid grimaced. "We've never had one on Telani. Not since... well, not since Retriance put an end to it. But soldiers are coming and going, and not like our lot. These are hard men and women."

"The Gothra been makin' a stink lately too," Suiry chimed in, her tail swishing quickly. "Mayor used to meet with 'em ever so off'n but last time they tossed 'em out. Or so he said. Then the raids started."

"The bridge going down... That's no reason for the Gothra to have done that," Graid sighed. "But there's been no reason for them to be doing the raiding either. We've always left them alone as they asked, and they've done their part and left us be. I don't know what's changed."

"Well now!" bellowed a voice from the nearby trees from Rue, Nerine, Kirrk & Rattlesnap. Out strode the armored man Favi had seen in the clearing with the Gothra, although armored was hardly the description the figure deserved with the amount of metal, bone & leather strapped to him.

Horns, spikes and studs of varying sizes and shapes protruded in almost every direction from the full plate the man wore, yet somehow it refused to get tangled together as he walked. A helmet with two massive horns extended upward and a bit forward added unnecessary height to the man's already impressive size, which only became more clear as he neared the group. He had to be over seven feet tall, a height only usually granted to the Samthra, yet his build could have been any number of races. Not a speck of skin showed to give any clue as to the man's true nature.

The man stopped a little ways away, and spread his arms. "Did you come to train under the great hunter Boroboro too, servants of Retriance?" His tone showed no sign of quieting as his words boomed outward from the general vicinity of his mouth. "Indeed, you must have heard I was here and come to ask for my guidance! How humble! How righteous!"

The last word hung in the air as the self-proclaimed great hunter Boroboro's invitation(?) was given.

"..." Rattlesnap gave a dull glance at the proclaimed "great hunter" and sighed. "Gonna be honest with ya, mate. We had no clue you was campin' out here," he explained. "Whoever ye are..." he muttered under his breath. "Nor did any bloke in town see fit to let us know. 'Course one would wonder how that's possible considerin' yer louder than a flock 'o seagulls at lunch time. What are ye up to out here anyway?"

Giving Nerine a smile, she gratefully took the cream, wincing a little now that her attention had been brought to her own wounds. "Oh, thank you!" she said with a grin as she began to apply the salve after dampening a cloth to clean up any dirt from around the scrapes. Handing the container back, she gave the woman another smile. "I can already feel the affects! That stuff works like a charm."

As the man approached, boasting about being a great hunter, Rue was attempting to carefully get up off the ground, satisfied to see that Favi had no injuries to be found. When she turned to face him, she gave him a polite but somewhat...awkward looking smile.

"I'm sorry...Boroboro? But I haven't heard your name yet in my travels either. Though I am always open to guidance. There is always more to learn..." She said, looking to her party members for a second before turning back to the hunter. "Though as my friend here has asked, we are curious what all you are up to here."

"Oy....oy!" Rattlesnap threw a rock at Boroboro's head to get his attention. "You in there Burabura or is yer head as empty as it looks!" What were ye doin' up in the trees...? What were ya hunt-...."

A brown blur suddenly sped past like a swift breeze. Before Rattlesnap knew it, he had been lifted up off of the grass. "-ting...." the former pirate trailed off as he saw himself being lifted further and further from the ground. "Dive Talons...hate these bloody things! Let go 'a me ye big fat flock 'o feathers!" He struggled violently, surprising the massive bird who had assumed it had taken some simple prey to bring to its nest.

It attempted to sink its talons into Rattlesnap to still his movement with one swift motion but the Pontra was too wiley and slipped out of his backpack and grabbing one of the straps before he could make an unfortunate fall back towards the ground before. "Need some assistance up here!" Rattlesnap called down to the others below. "Don't suppose ye've got anything to put down this big portly pidgeon!"

DarKnight36 DarKnight36 Radish__ Radish__ upscalerat upscalerat

197122_iXQ0foKj.pngVelahari Faevi
Interaction
: druidquest druidquest DarKnight36 DarKnight36
Mentioned:

Velahari would listen without a word as their new pals explained. Did the mayor mention he use to visy the Gothra? That felt like new information but she could have just forgotten. "Did he trade with them?" She asked curiously. He had been so adamant about getting rid of them, if they were trading partners it would make no sense. But as they mentioned he was thrown out, Velahari nodded. "It's sounds like he could have upset them? I know they aren't very sociable, but they are reasonable." The last of her sentence was more a quiet mumble as they spoke again. These two didn't believe the Gothra would have destroyed the bridge either but finally, her attention focused in on maybe the most important thing they had said. "But war? Between who?" She asked, her head tilting to one side. Velahari wasn't well versed with politics, but rumors of war even reached her people. They were always something to take note of even if nothing ever came of it. "I figured rumors like this would stress the Gothra out as well. It would make sense if they tried to shut down some for their own safety."

"Oh?" Boroboro said, head tilted to one side as he stared at the group, seemingly unable to comprehend that they weren't here to learn from him. "I see..." As Rattlesnap grew annoyed and threw a rock at Boroboro's head, the man idly caught the rock from the air and began to hum.

The Dive Talon grabbing Rattlesnap didn't seem to faze the giant, as it struggled to lift the Pontra's surprising weight. "Indeed, my good Pontra, I have just the present you provided me!" Boroboro boomed, his arm snapping forward with an easy precision. The rock struck the Dive Talon's rump, causing it to squawk in surprise and release Rattlesnap completely. Boroboro was already there to snatch the pirate-hero from midair, easing him to the ground as the Dive Talon flapped away, its pride hurt more than its body.

"I apologize for my lack of warning you," Boroboro nodded to Rattlesnap. "I had assumed you would be able to handle small creatures such as that. But... I see you are at a much lower level than expected." Boroboro's gauntleted hand stroked his helmet's chin. "This will not do. I mean no disrespect or insult, of course, but this will not do at all. I see now that I must indeed coach you in the ways of the hunter."

"Now!" Boroboro said, his previous volume returning. "As to what I was hunting, well nothing at all today! Today I was training!" Boroboro spread his arms. "Human! Gothra! Soldier! Peasant! It matters not to me. All are welcome to the glory of the hunt." Boroboro clapped his hands together in a sharp crack. "Come, if you will, to meet my students for the day! And while you do, I will ponder how to keep you alive in the wilds of Telani, yes?"

The Great Hunter Boroboro laughed and began walking back into the trees.

"Trade? No, I don't think it was that kind of visit," Graid said, frowning. "I think it was more that the mayor wanted to live peacefully. But the Gothra have decided that isn't what they want anymore. I don't know if you can understand, being outsiders, but the mayor is the man who made this town what it is. He's benefited the lives of everyone here. He isn't the easiest fellow to get along with but..."

"Graid's right for once," Suiry agreed. "Gothra steal our goods, break our wagons. They don't kill anyone, but they make a mess. But the mayor's done nothing to retaliate. I heard he even ordered the guards not to resist the Gothra raids if they come. Just let them do what they want, the rumor is. More'n a few folks aren't happy about that, but I guess that's where you come into the plan."

"As for the war, who can tell?" Graid said, his tail swishing anxiously. "It's just a rumor. But it scares me all the same."

"Great hunter me arse..." Rattlesnap uttered, brushing himself off. "More like great bleedin' rotter if ye ask me. We done over here? Ain't much more needin' to be done, I assume?" he asked his compatriots.

"I'll lead then," Shaista said as she moved to the front of their group. She didn't have a weapon on hand though. Her stature was formidable, intimidating as she took up much of the entrance to the cave. It would be hard to get past her but it went both ways.

Shaista walked slow and while some may have mistaken it for caution, it was instead to listen. Her steps could be loud with the weight she carried and she didn't know how deep the cave went. Keeping her face foward, a little tongue poked out at intervals from her slightly opened out. There was a faint scent of iron in the air and sweat but it was hard to pick up on with the scents of her fellow adventurers behind her.

"Stay back a little," she cautioned them. "In case of an attack."

In further Shaista went but they hadn't gone far when they heard the sounds of tinkling echoing throughout followed by a few quick thuds. Shaista froze but the thudding stopped, leaving only the tinkling that seemed to rise and lower in volume. It was accompanied by a growing burnt smell in the air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back