Music Do you play an instrument?

I have an acoustic one that I bought at a clearance sale. I'm still saving up for an electric one since I want to get an amp at the same time. XD
I don't know much about the guitar makers/luthiers, but so far, Fender and Gibson have been recommended to me. I'd really like to invest in a good electric guitar.
Purchase a Fender. They're so much cheaper.

I love the French’s Horn! It’s one of the my top three favorite instruments.

As for myself, I attempted to learn the cello. Issue was that I tried to learn how to read and write music at the same time. It was my biggest hurdle. I had to stop because of it, really. My teacher wasn’t really the best in my opinion. Nice guy and all. But not the best.

I played the clarinet for four years and honestly knowing how to play one instrument opens up the landscape immensely. I learned how to play the clarinet and because it has a similar mouthpiece to the saxophone I could at least make noise on it. Regardless if we are talking about instruments I actually studied it would be the clarinet, piano, harmonica and I did try to learn the bagpipes though it was very difficult so I quit for a bit.

I spent around two years learning and playing the drums. I haven't played in a while, so my skills are kind of rusty.

I play the electric guitar! I've played in two jazz Big Bands, a jazz Trio and some other rock/pop projects. The hardest part? This is not something on the guitar specifically, but I absolutely suck at sight-reading. That's something I really need to work on! I want to become a session guitarist and a guitar teacher, I'm currently studying music. =)

(This is slightly off-topic, but I got this idea the other day, about having music in roleplays. I posted two off my songs in another thread that I made, offering to write songs for other people's roleplays. I don't know a lot about arranging orchestra's but I tried my best. If anyone want to hear them, go in to my profile and you should be able to find my thread Music In Roleplays. Sorry if this was a little bit of "self-promotion" and off-topic. Just figured I'd share it to other musicians on the site.)

Been playing piano for 11 years, and I'm not afraid to admit I'm pretty damn good at sight-reading. Starting with Bach's Inventions and Czerny exercises definitely helped, so to anyone starting out, go with those guys. Oh, and Hanon exercises as well. Those help with scales, fingering, and reach.

I've been working on a Chopin nocturne and waltz, and it's not FAIR because that dude had crazy fucking hands - like, a huge span. And he wasn't afraid of showing it off, which means his music wasn't made for average hands like mine. It's a struggle, but I'm working on extending reach through the palm, and not by twisting my hand, which I've struggled with in the past.

So - enough bitching from me. I've got a fond love of the baroque period, so anyone else out there with the same passions?

I can play the piano, though I'm not great at it. I am a pretty good clarinetist.

Also, fun fact: If I hear another squidward joke made at my expense I'm probably going to spontaneously combust.

MUAHAHHAHA MOVE ASIDE PEASANTS, THE SUPERIOR TROMBONE PLAYER HAS ARRIVED! YOU THOUGHT THE TRUMPETS HAD EGO?? THINK AGAIN!! (Be prepared for a mini-lesson because I don't know how many of you actually play the Best Instrument Ever)

The hardest part for me, surprisingly, isn't tuning--my 5th position Db and Gb are almost always spot on, which is a veeery nice feeling. There's two hard parts for me: one of them stems from the baritone solo I'm taking to Contest this year, Introduction and Dance. I don't play baritone, but I have to play to fast notes anyway, and while on valved/keyed instruments you can just move your fingers and keep the air moving in order to slur, on trombone you actually have to do a smooth 'da' on every note. Add in triple tonguing and gliding (moving the slide through positions instead of stopping at each individual position) and you've actually got the components to summon Satan. Grats.

The second hard part comes from playing a brass instrument in general, and it's the discovery that playing before/after an audition works away stress surprisingly well, but then comes the worst thing of all: busting your chops. I walked into my State callback audition with my chops busted and didn't even make the honorable mention band, even though I'd been fourth out of nine in it the year previous. Needless to say, it sucked ass.

No instruments.

Tried the flute, couldn't get a tune.

Tried the clarinet, same thing. Well the reed was broken and it was mom's from when she was in school.

Tried the trumpet. Quit that after one try.

Have done guitar. The only thing I can play is a C chord.

I would love to play the violin and/or piano. Don't have the room for a piano. Don't have the money for a violin, piano or lessons.

I'm actually studying music. I'm mainly a guitar player, but I've had to learn piano for my degree. I've also noodled around on bass, drums, and trombone and trumpet a bit. String instruments generally seem to come pretty easy to me so I usually favor those.

I can play piano and violin. I play piano for my job and violin just for the fuck of it.

I'm a singer, but since I'm persuing a music education degree, I've picked up piano and a little bit of guitar. My piano is actually an old synth from my grandmother. It was built twenty years ago and runs on AA batteries that have to be replaced almost every day, and that's not great when I'm practicing or writing music literally every day, sometimes for hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back