Music Do you play an instrument?

Trickster Crayon

You've Been Tricked
If so, what do you play, and what is the hardest part about playing this instrument?

I play the French Horn, the hardest thing for me is playing in Bass clef, because the French Horn can go into the high brass range and the low brass range, but low notes don't sound good. If you wanna share about more than one instrument, go ahead! I play several as well.

EDIT: Good lord so many replies! Just to add to it, anyone got any music stories? Like Marching band/Orchestra stories??

I have stories only the include some weird stuff.. like kids climbing into lockers in the Band hall and getting stuck or kid on trumpet gets his trumpet smashed by a prop day before BOA San Antonio and UIL state../FONT]​

Last edited:
I play the trombone for my school's marching band. Hardest part? There's two, the first one is re-tuning. Because we use our tuning slide to play, we basically have to assume the exact positions of each notes. Every the weather changes by like one degree we have to re-adjust. It's not fun, it really isn't. Second hardest thing is learning other instruments after trombone. The nature of the trombone is distinct and weird to play you're gonna have a hard to learning other instruments, especially if trombone is your first.

I play the trombone for my school's marching band. Hardest part? There's two, the first one is re-tuning. Because we use our tuning slide to play, we basically have to assume the exact positions of each notes. Every the weather changes by like one degree we have to re-adjust. It's not fun, it really isn't. Second hardest thing is learning other instruments after trombone. The nature of the trombone is distinct and weird to play you're gonna have a hard to learning other instruments, especially if trombone is your first.
I play the Mellophone during marching season. And I know how to must feel, I always have felt bad for the trombones.

I don't play an instrument. I used to play the clarinet, but that was so long ago, I doubt I'd remember anything.

Yes! I'm also a horn player! I have played mellophone for four years in marching band, the last time I play will be in March since my band is in a parade. Trickster Crayon Trickster Crayon Pedal tones sound fine on horn, just practice long tones every time you have the instrument in your hands. Like playing in the upper register, the lower register requires fast, full air to steady the pitch. Also make sure you're using a comfortable mouthpiece, and never stick your bottom lip out of it.

The hardest thing for me on horn is lip trills, especially on the crescendo and decrescendo.

I used to play violin in elementary school and trumpet in 6th grade. I can still hold and tune a violin and my trumpet skills were transferred over to mellophone, since I use a trumpet mouthpiece. I have always wanted to learn to play cello or piano.

I play clarinet. The hardest thing is when you break a reed mid-performance, and have no spares around. That, and sixteenth note runs all over the place.

Used to play viola (Not violin,) the hardest thing there is playing for a while without calluses. That shit hurts.
And doing vibrato quickly.

Used to play viola (Not violin,) the hardest thing there is playing for a while without calluses. That shit hurts.
And doing vibrato quickly.
Yes! I'm also a horn player! I have played mellophone for four years in marching band, the last time I play will be in March since my band is in a parade. Trickster Crayon Trickster Crayon Pedal tones sound fine on horn, just practice long tones every time you have the instrument in your hands. Like playing in the upper register, the lower register requires fast, full air to steady the pitch. Also make sure you're using a comfortable mouthpiece, and never stick your bottom lip out of it.

The hardest thing for me on horn is lip trills, especially on the crescendo and decrescendo.

I used to play violin in elementary school and trumpet in 6th grade. I can still hold and tune a violin and my trumpet skills were transferred over to mellophone, since I use a trumpet mouthpiece. I have always wanted to learn to play cello or piano.
oh my goodness the calluses hurt! That's mainly why I stopped. The mello and Horn are awesome, wouldn't change for the world.

i play the ukulele and the piano. as for the ukulele, it's an overall, easy instrument to play. i learned the basics in less than two weeks. although, learning chords and memorizing them? jesus, that took me forever.

piano took me awhile to grasp, but once you have the basics, it gets relatively easier. i'd say the hardest, for me, was reading sheet music. i still struggle to read sheet music and it's been four years since i started playing.

i play the clarinet. i had a performance recently, and my clarinet was broken. fake playing is a lot harder than it seems.

I can play the Tin Whistle, it's not that difficult but I am not good at music. I haven't played in years but I still have my tin whistle and notes for some songs. It isn't that great an instrument

I can play the Tin Whistle, it's not that difficult but I am not good at music. I haven't played in years but I still have my tin whistle and notes for some songs. It isn't that great an instrument

I beg to differ! It's a wonderful instrument! It always imparts a happy, lively sound on jigs and reels (case in point below), or a pleasant, soothing sound on slower/majestic songs (just look at "Concerning Hobbits" from Lord of the Rings):

Personally I can play the Pennywhistle, am sort of learning the Uilleann Pipes (pronounced ill-en), and can play the guitar a bit, although I haven't played either for awhile.

A showcase of the Uilleann Pipes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back