Viewpoint Do you ever play the opposite gender? Do you prefer it?

oddly enough, I rather roleplay males. I'm a female and the thought of roleplaying or creating a female character gives me the heebie jeebies. I'm in the process of writing a novel and my husband read a chapter to proof read and he was like 'ya don't like females, do you? you can tell cause this character suuuccckkksss' hahahahaha he gets me.

I often times find myself playing a character of the opposite gender because for some reason I find I am better able to relate to that character.

despite my pastel aesthetic, i almost exclusively roleplay as a male character. not sure why i prefer it, just feel my male ocs are a bit more developed if that makes any sense?

I've played my share of dudes and I enjoyed it just as much as my female characters. I think it might have something to do with the fact that a lot of the books I've read and games I played had male heroes, so that kind of helped me to get into the right mindset. It's fun either way. :)

I play male characters about 45% of the time. Females maybe 30%. And the other 25% of the time I play genderless constructs, thoughtforms, robots, aliens and other beings which don't identify or technically fit a gender.

I've never done it, but I would like to try. That said, I'd rather my partner still be a female regardless of what gender she's playing. :X

I prefer not stating my gender In the past when I did it changes the mood of the rp for me ,so now I just rp as male ^__^

I write only for male characters, as I feel somewhat uncomfortable writing for opposite gender.
I don't know, I just don't enjoy it. It's all right if it's a background character but not a main.

I tend to default to male, so I often try to push myself to role play more females. I don't really have a problem playing them there's just something that always makes me default to male.

Right now over half of my roleplays across all the sites I use I’m playing as a gay male, so that should speak for itself...

I usually play male characters, but i’m fine with playing a female character if it comes down to that. So yeah i prefer playing the opposite gender, i prefer playing males.

I enjoy writing from all perspectives. I think it’s quite rewarding! Developing characters regardless of their gender is one of the most fun things to do.

Oh I definitely prefer playing as a guy than a girl, even though I am female haha. Honestly I don't entirely know why? Probably because mainstream media portrayals of male characters are more relatable to me, haha, and I follow up with that. I have a few beloved female/nb characters who I love to rp as, but guys are more fun still.

Honestly, I love playing male characters but my favorite characters have always been my female characters; who I don't get to play often and maybe that is why. Either way I will play any gender so long as they can be queer; even my "straight" characters really aren't they're usually very bi/pan behaving because I am! So I don't really know how to write the straight experience; and maybe that is because I associate it to homophobia and I don't write that . . . which THAT is a bag of something I don't want to unpack! XD

ANYWAY yes, yes any gender is fine I love playing my boiz and gurlz!

I'm asexual, but seem to be able to write any sexuality. Most of my characters end up straight, though, since it's just my personal preference for romantic plots. I've kind of always wondered how much a writer's own sexuality correlates with what they write. I feel there's some connection between the two, but of course not always since as mentioned I rarely write asexual characters myself. Demisexual occasionally, yes, but rarely anything else besides hetero.

I'm asexual, but seem to be able to write any sexuality. Most of my characters end up straight, though, since it's just my personal preference for romantic plots. I've kind of always wondered how much a writer's own sexuality correlates with what they write. I feel there's some connection between the two, but of course not always since as mentioned I rarely write asexual characters myself. Demisexual occasionally, yes, but rarely anything else besides hetero.
I can write any sexuality, it doesn't mean that I don't associate straightness to homophobia, so when I write characters who are straight they don't feel straight to me they feel bisexual/pan and that is subjective to me and me only. Not to say they don't read as straight to other people.

Anyway presence is male characters, but I love when I get to play a female character!

I can write any sexuality, it doesn't mean that I don't associate straightness to homophobia, so when I write characters who are straight they don't feel straight to me they feel bisexual/pan and that is subjective to me and me only. Not to say they don't read as straight to other people.

Anyway presence is male characters, but I love when I get to play a female character!

Funny enough, despite being female, I prefer writing male characters. I have also been told that I'm better at writing males. Maybe it's because I'm not super feminine or anything to begin with.

I have about an 75/25 ratio of male to female characters. And of course there some who fit into neither category, being NB, genderfluid, or not having a gender, or not knowing what gender they are.

I really, really dislike the phrase "opposite gender" because ugh no genders are not opposite from each other, they are just different and it's a sliding scale anyway.

I don't tend to write characters of a specific sexuality to start with (unless I know it's going to be a romance), the sexuality suggests itself to me from the character. Character pops into my head and says "hey I'm gay" or what have you. Sometimes I question the straight ones to see if they are really straight, and sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. So I have characters of pretty much all different sexualities with bisexual probably being the most common.

Last edited:
I don't tend to write characters of a specific sexuality to start with (unless I know it's going to be a romance), the sexuality suggests itself to me from the character. Character pops into my head and says "hey I'm gay" or what have you. Sometimes I question the straight ones to see if they are really straight, and sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. So I have characters of pretty much all different sexualities with bisexual probably being the most common.

A few of mine are like that where their sexuality kind of just popped into my head. That's typically for the characters I'm not writing specifically to be a love interest for another character, though.

A few of mine are like that where their sexuality kind of just popped into my head. That's typically for the characters I'm not writing specifically to be a love interest for another character, though.

Yeah, if I'm specifically writing for a love interest, which isn't often, then I need to pick the sexuality in advance. But for the vast majority of my characters, they tell me. Or during the RP they just develop interest in another character and I'm like "Oh so they like women/men? OK then."

I usually do just because I click more with male characters for whatever reason.

I don't much care what gender I play but I mostly do this.

Step 1 - Look for an image or inspiration online and there is the appearance, whatever gender they may be.
Step 2 - Create a character sheet on the basics of the character I want to create.
Step 3 - Use it in Rp's and if I have an image credit the artist.

So basically I have a few Rp character's I use in multiple RP's and when I get bored of em I just find another to give me inspiration, at the moment I have 3 Girls, Aimi, Ayva and Hoshi and 5 Boys, Lou and Louis the twins, Don, Perry and Rian. And I just use these when I feel like it.

Is this a common thing to do or do y'all mostly make new character's each RP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back